Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Yes there are indeed a lot of overpriced little cars out there. Just say no!

Rather have a Mustang V6, Subaru Legacy AWD, or an Acura RSX, than pay
    big bucks for a Cobalt. Resale will be awful, and I wouldn't want a supercharger.

Loren
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Not me. Resale is over-rated especially being the average consumer is keeping their vehicle many more years than the 2-3 years of years past. Leasing may be the best alternative for those who want a new one regularily and don't want to worry about depreciation.

GM cars depreciation will likely even out with the some of the Japanese competitors within the next 10 years or so because of the less emphasis on putting big rebates on the hood. In fact, GM has restructured their prices for every vehicle (as far as I know) for 2006, to be closer to what they want to sell it for, sort of like Saturn's no price haggle policy.

Getting away from fleet rental cars will dramatically increase the price of those vehicles at resale because right now they are deluting the market for like what you said, a $22,000 Monte Carlo for $12,000 a year or so later. They probably got it for $17,000 to begin with and then a bunch of people beat the heck out of it and now they have to sell it.
  • lovemyhhrlovemyhhr Member Posts: 1
    I have to completely disagree with you on the HHR comments you made. The 16K unit is a great car if that's what you want and it's strictly a budget thing, but for an extra 4500 I'll take the leather (wife lovesssss the heated seats), bigger engine, sport package, extra safety, amaaaazing sounding stereo with XM, etc. I drove both, while the base model with auto was a fine car and I'd be ok with it, the 'loaded' unit we bought blows it away. I commute 70+ miles a day and it's very nice to be in a car that is extremely fun to drive, while comfortable too. If you're into trading every 2 years, you are right, go used. I plan on driving this car for the next 10 years and turning it over to my son to destroy it. :) :sick:

Oh, I drove the PT often as my Mother In Law owns one, and while it's got looks, I found it to be much less impressive than the base HHR. Then again, don't get me started on Chrysler.
  • veligerveliger Member Posts: 30
    http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/gm-bar130e_20050930.htm

Hey m1miata, what do you think? The HHR looks way less like a Gangster Car than the PT Cruiser. Come to think of it, Chryslers whole design them seems like a time warp to gangster movies. We'll see if the HHR has legs over the next six months.
    Looks different - yes. Most of the features are the same. Same designer for both cars. For 2006 the PT has changed and loses some of its edge in looks, so the ball is given over to HHR. Take the ball and run with it!

I like the 2005 PT but for 2006 would likely go HHR.

Loren
    Motorweek TV just tested the HHR this past week and was pretty impressed. It said it liked the seats, ride, electric steering, fit and finish, and interior materials. It also said it had very good off the line power but then flattened out on top, but cruised effortlessly on the highway. The only negative comment was about body roll when driving aggressively through corners.
    Electric assist steering? No thanks. I like the cornering and the steering on my '05 PT. And yes, the new HHR looks better than the new PT for '06 overall. And yes, fold down seats are a good feature. Not a bad car, but I am happy to get the last of real deal PTs.

Loren
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    Yeah, a real PT with a cassette tape deck.
    I drove the HHR with a 2.4 engine and automatic yesterday at GM's autoshowinmotion.com and it was very nice. On the road test it was very quiet, and the acceleration was more than enough for me. I personally would be more interested in the 2.2 engine. I didn't even think about the steering when driving on the road or the closed course, it felt normal to me I guess.
    " Yeah, a real PT with a cassette tape deck. "
    ~~~~~~~~~~end quote~~~~~~~~~~
    Yes, it has a cassette tape player, so what???
    Is there a punch line somewhere?

I may add a very good stereo. The car so far
    has had zero defects.

:shades: Loren
  • jimw0238jimw0238 Member Posts: 65
    i have researched the hhr, as i will be buying a car in a week . i have considered- cool styling (not just another plain jane vehicle on the road), fun to drive, cost to buy, reliability, and mileage. my choices for comparison have been:
    1. pt cruiser
    2.chevy hhr
    3.toyota matrix
    4.scion xb
    most of these seem to be "love em or hate em" styles.........
    i am a single father and commute 60 miles on highway each day. after 2 months of research on net and in these forums my budget has decided on
    scion xb "the box". to each there own opinion but clearly cost to own is a serious consideration for me. after all, i don't live in it- just need to enjoy driving it and be able to make the occassional trip to home depot for house stuff!
    it is small....it looks funny.....but it gets @ 30mpg, has toyota quality, cost @ $15k, and has- abs,traction control,stabilizers, and variable valve timing. there are also many upgrades ie- aftermarket parts available too. it is worth a look if you are on a tight budget!
    thanks.... :shades:
    Considering the xB has a 103HP engine, I would not say the price is all that low.
    That is one small car, and one tiny engine. I am not sure how the quality is on the
    Scions, and the xB. They did have some problems, I thought during the roll-out of
    the line. Best to research the line, as it is all fairly new. I owned a Miata for three
    years, so get use to people pointing to the car, and saying " cute car ", it just comes
    with the territory :blush: That design, which reminds me of a kids drawing, is kinda
    fun and well makes people smile. I guess it is enough power to get across town in.
    Just don't load a pallet of bricks into it at Home Depot -- just kidding! I would not
    want to drive that thing on a freeway = too small. The wind resistance has to be high,
    so do not expect the gas mileage as listed. The Matrix has the Corolla engine and is
    of a better size. It is more a commuter car.

Loren
  • labrat6labrat6 Member Posts: 3
    I recently traded in our Echo, which is the platform the xb is based on, and never did get the mileage stated for the vehicle. I do not see how the square flat nose of the xb can achieve better mileage. Unfortunately the Echo line turned out to be a loser for Toyota regardless of their socalled quality. I did purchase a HHR LT 1 and while it only has 2000 miles on it, it is comfortable to drive and ride in, gets good mileage so far, 26 plus in town and highway combined driving and should do better for you if you are commuting 60 miles each way on the highway. Do I express a slight prejudice, yes, but I also believe you would be happier in the Matrix if you want the Toyota rep.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    The xB is without doubt a very neat car, but personally I'd rather have just a little more side impact protection - you can't get side torso or side curtain airbags in and the doors are not very deep.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Hey jimw0238-

Considered the Honda Element as an option? It meets all your criteria- cool styling, fun to drive, reasonable to buy, reliable and good economy. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

It of course has polarizing styling- love it or hate it.
    these are all very good comments. thanks for the input. i really prefer the pt cruiser, however true mileage on the automatics seems to be around 20 mpg. that could get too expensive for me......
    the hhr is really cool, though a little bland looking by the interior pics. my only beef with the hhr is the price to buy it. money is tight!
    matrix is cool, though priced higher than alot of other small cars and has a wierd dash layout.........hmmmmmmmm
    this is such a hard choice. in california i will be looking at close to $2,000 for tax and license. i don't want to spend more that $18,000 out the door- that only leaves $16,000 for the actual sticker on car....... :(
    Try Chevy for an HHR price with a discount. Looks like around $17K for an HHR, which is a bit steep. Should be able to knock $1,500 off. Give it a go.

Loren
    thanks i will give that a shot, hopefully dealers will be reasonable enough to come down for cash in hand. hard to say though, in southern california the dealers can be snobby and just say, "oh well pay it or someone else will". it seems like a perfect solution to the gas eating pt cruiser- very retro styling and better mileage!
    i really want a retro style but it must be economical and affordable to buy......otherwise it will be "Scion XB here i come".
    hope i can get one for a price i can afford......... :confuse:
    hey by the way,
    this may sound dumb.......
    but does anyone know if the hhr comes with an ashtray??
    lots of new cars don't and i enjoy having one........
    Are dealers offering any discounts on the HHR yet? Edmunds and carsdirect are still showing it at full MSRP. I know they'll have to start dealing at some point once initial demand dies down, but has that happened yet?

Also, jimw, are you wanting a 5-speed or automatic? I've noticed when I search inventory thru the Chevrolet site that most dealers have either loaded ones or 5-speeds with few if any options. A 5-speed HHR LS would seem to be in your price range.

By the way, have you driven the Scion xB yet? My little brother and I test drove one a while back for him and it was fine around town but merging and maintaining interstate speeds was significantly tougher for it. Just make sure you test drive in all situations you'd use it (city, highway, curves, whatever) if you haven't already.

One other thing- You mention the Toyota Matrix. Have you considered the basically identical Pontiac Vibe? I'm thinking that Pontiac would offer more discounts than Toyota. Might be worth checking in to- especially if you can find any '05 Vibes hanging around.

Good luck!
    looking for hhr with auto.....msrp is $16,990
    haven't driven xb yet or hhr. i'm waiting til i'm ready to buy so i don't torture myself ;)
    stick front wheel drives are too costly and time consuming when it comes to clutch changes......
    i have looked at the vibe, it costs more than matrix, at least in my area. guess i'll have to see what i can do.................
    if i can get the hhr with auto for $16,000- then i will buy.......otherwise back to scion i guess.
    a pt cruiser with a toyota engine would be perfect (mileage wise) too bad i don't have time to convert one :P
    Well you can get a 2005 PT with an automatic for around $14,500.
    Unfortunately the gas mileage is not as good as the HHR. You buy
    a PT with a stick for best gas mileage, which is not all that good, and
    you buy an HHR with an automatic for best mileage ( this may be less
    than EPA figure too). I am sure if you check two or three Chevy dealers
    you can find one that discounts. GM cars are always discounted. They
    tack on, then take off the bucks. I did not like the performance with an
    automatic with the PT. Don't know if the HHR would be too slow too in
    an automatic???

Loren
  • parky129parky129 Member Posts: 50
    0 to 60 in under 9 seconds with automatic HHR, should be fast enough for anyone other than a drag racer. Mileage is running now around town 28MPG US auto 2.4. Going to Florida in a short while should get mileage in the 30+ range. Have just under 3000 miles no problems! :)
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Did you look at the similar Vibe at Pontiac? I think it has a different dash? Also look at the GM incentives on it.
    I believe built in ash trays are an item from the past. You can get a muffin pan from GM that fits in the cupholder.
    i really think those little cup ashtrays are stupid. ever tried to use one while driving?? but i guess that might be the manufacturers way of attacking the tobacco industries or something, what is the goverment giving them a kick back or what..........
    tough decision- pt, bad mileage...or hhr more money......... almost seems like a tie in the long run. vibe and matrix are both cool but i like the reborn retro styling, it is distinct. i think is is cool for those of you that can walk outside in the morning and look in driveway and say, "yah...that's my car!"
    i will shop for gm rebates...................... ;)
    Must say I have never used an ashtray except for trash.

Actually surveys found that even when ashtrays were supplied most smokers did not use them for ashes. Most flick out the window.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    jimwo238 said: " . . . stick front wheel drives are too costly and time consuming when it comes to clutch changes."

Generally with the majority of vehicles this is a certainly a correct statement, but not with the Classic SAAB 900 series cars, circa 1979 thru 1994. Since the engine in the Classic 900 sits longitudinally, but 180 degrees out-of phase "so to speak" (i.e. backwards with the clutch assembly/flywheel behind the radiator and the front of the engine at the firewall), a total clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing replacement can be made in an hour or less - without ever getting underneath the car! Remove the top access cover from the bell housing directly behind the radiator, and you're ready to remove the whole assembly in one fell swoop. On the other hand, it's not needed very often. I have over 250K miles on an '85 SAAB 900 8-valve 5-speed, and the clutch has only been replaced once. As with most European cars, the SAAB uses a hydraulically actuated system for smooth operation. Only replaced the clutch slave hydraulic cylinder once as well . . . and, nothing have been done to the engine and transmission (transmission and final drive) but standard routine maintenance.
    I believe all modern sticks use hydraulic systems? And how often do folks change clutches now a days?
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Not all modern sticks use hydraulic actuation. I had a 1990 Honda Civic with a 4-speed that used a diaphram spring operated clutch mechanism - no hydrualics, and the take up was tricky. I'm not sure on today's Hondas, but it wouldn't surprise me if they still don't use hydraulics.

Not too many clutch changes today . . . and, unfortunately, not too many sticks as well!
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    Keep in mind that the PT becomes much less of a bargain when you start equipping it with the features everyone wants anyway. Chrysler has been steadily decontenting the base Cruiser since its introduction in '01 to make it look like a great deal. Chrysler's use of this technique is well known. Seen any Chrysler ads recently? In bold print you'll see an eye-popping price and below the snappy car with chrome rims and all you'll see the fine print - right there at the very bottom of the page. And in Chrysler ads, the "as equipped" model displayed is usually about $10K more expensive than the base model price they hang in big, bold print at the top of the ad. Sure every manufacturer does this to some extent, but Chrysler is notorious for it. Oh, you need an air conditioner, do you? That's another thousand. But we'll throw in the seats and engine for free!

Let's be real, does anyone want to drive a car without a/c or cruise? That's torture. Personally, I'd rather chew broken glass. Comparably equipped, the PT and HHR are almost identical in price.
    Yes. No cruise control on the last three cars I have owned. No problem. With todays traffic, there are very few times I could use cruise control anyway. Safer without it, and
    I don't need to dance while driving anyway. The PT does indeed need air conditioning.
    With air and discounts it is around $13.5K before tax. lic. and doc fee ( $45 is what I paid ) This is the 2005 model. The 2006 may run higher, but I did not ever consider one. The new one is more quiet inside, but I did not like the interior dash, vents and such. The exterior is not as good as previous model. Gas mileage can go as low as 20 or 21 in town driving, with a little highway, and as high as 29+ MPG if babied and all conditions are favorable. Most of the time, expect 24 to 26 for mostly highway driving. This is with a stick.

HHR will beat the PT for gas mileage with an automatic, from what has been posted here by most people. Not everyone will get the EPA gas mileage on the HHR or the PT. I would assume most won't.

Loren
    well today (and last night) i began the email game with a internet sales person from Singh Chevrolet (in Riverside, Ca.). i have seen many posts here that talked about how inflated the prices were and that sales people were very rude there. anyways, i was told that they have a new order of hhr's due by this weekend and they are listing them for $22,500 to start.........
    this is due to popularity and demand. the sales person (whom i will not name just yet) said they would be willing to let me have the automatic i want for "their" invoice of $17,430.
    i said, "hmmmmmmm....make it $17,000 and i will bite, otherwise please don't waste my time". in so california after tax and dmv fees that would ad up to @ $19,000 (yes california fees are high- close to $2,000) :surprise:
    i told him to let me know what he thinks, otherwise it will be- "scion xb here i come".
    can't wait to see his response....
    i'll keep you all up to date...
    right now he emails me 2 or 3 times a day :shades:
    p.s. they currently have three on the lot.....
  • 61116111 Member Posts: 13
    Well I got my HHR for $17500. And thats an LT with auto, 2.4 engine, fog lights, roor rails, mud flaps and the pioneer sound setup. MSRP was like $19350 or so. I had to order it but it only took 7 weeks. I did look at the PT but with the options I wanted the PT was more than the HHR. Its true the base PT is stripped to basicly engine and seats. The xB is neat but I thing it would get old real quick.

Tell the dealer you want to order an HHR, he will jump at that, they dont like to sell high demand cars on their lot for less than invoice, but ordering one is different ball game.
    Cool styling?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I'm not sure about ordering on a high demand car as far as the dealer being more willing. You might ask about that over in Ask a Car Dealer a Question. It sure is a way to get exactly the option package and color that you want!

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Wow, they want over sticker? This car, in its original design, has been out now for five years. Sure it is a bit different, but really now, it is not like it is really - really new. I would stick to $1,500 off sticker, or just get a PT.

Before buying a Scion, try it on the freeways and uphill - ya know the whole longer test thing.

Good luck! - Loren
    A lot of people seem to think so.
    Jim- All this talk made me curious, so I checked a few sites for prices on the PT Cruiser. I am surprised how inexpensive they are. Check out carsdirect.com- '06 PT Base with AT and A/C- $15,457, '06 PT Touring with AT- $16,421. Not bad.

If you can find an '05 left- '05 PT Base with AT and A/C- $14,837, '05 PT Touring with AT- $15,738. Check out the site if you get a chance, you can also email dealers thru them for quotes. My experiences in the past with carsdirect has been positive (as have my experience using Edmunds to get dealer quotes).

I do think the HHR is better looking that the PT, but it looks like you're going to get a better deal on the PT at the moment. Another thing to consider is how long you think you'll be keeping it. If you pay near MSRP for an HHR now and in a year they're selling for significantly less, it'll kill resale. If you plan to drive it for several years, probably not a big deal.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    We really do not know how resale on the HHR will be.

This car is very competetive and offers an awesome audio sustem and a really good interrior. It compares favorably to the PT IMO, and is priced about the same. I saw one a few days ago and it has more presence than a PT. Meybe b/c its new, but it seemed like more car.

The competition for the HHR is not really head and shoulders better in any single way. The only thing that could hurt the resale then is if reliablility turns out to be bad, or if the stigma of chevy = bad resale will be attached to it. We will see.
    I was just saying that buying any car during it's intro when it is selling at or above MSRP hurts at trade-in time because the prices will inevitably go down. This is true of any car- HHR, new Honda Civic whatever. From checking out the few HHR's on autotrader.com, it looks like their resale value is staying pretty high.

For the record, I think the HHR is much better looking than that the PT Cruiser. My comments on the PT are simply for the benefit of the guy shopping for one if the HHR proves to be more than he wants to spend.

I still haven't gotten to test drive an HHR yet, maybe I'll go tomorrow night and give it a run.
    people, these are all great opinions........
    that's what i really enjoy about these forums- we can all say what think and just pass on (hopefully) helpful information to one another. knowledge is power.......and that is how we help each other get decent deals on cars. i can clearly see that not all ideas here are agreed upon- but that's ok!
    we're human and each differs and thats why there are so many different vehicles in the market. hopefully there is a good one out there for each of us to smile about. since all the literature i have seen shows the "HHR" for $16,990 with auto, i think it is fair to say that i will buy if they will offer it to me for $17,000. we will see, sales guy is going to email back tomorrow- he just sent me an email saying that he is working on it.......i'll let ya know ;)
  • beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    GM is playing the same "chintzy" game with their GM card members. NO rebates on the HHR (not yet anyway) Same deal with Saturn. Saturn did have card rebates one time a couple of years ago @ Saturn when their sales were in the dumper. Did not even advertise it,had to find out from a dealer ad in the local paper. I would buy a HHR tomorrow IF they would pony up at least $1000 ! Heck, they have rebates on the Vette. Why not the Saturn line & the new HHR?

Believer, but starting to doubt
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    Not sure what happened in the past with Saturn but they "are a different kind" of car company. Are they still no haggle?
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    SO now that there is a 1K rebate will the doubting believer come back to his true ways :P

If you do buy it, we can't wait to read your review and others reactions!
  • beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    infinia1: Just checked the GM card web and they do not list any rebates on the HHR. What gives here ? I will buy if they come across. I have special order all set to go (color, equipment etc.) My wife's VIBE wil be the "sacrificial lamb" trade-in.

believer
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    "2006 Chevrolet Colorado $1,000
    2006 Chevrolet Corvette $1,000
    2006 Chevrolet Equinox $1,000
    2006 Chevrolet Express $2,000
    2006 Chevrolet HHR $1,000
    2006 Chevrolet Impala $2,000"

from the link provided a couple of messages back. The HHR does let you use $1000 of accrued credit toward purchase of one.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    maybe beliver didn't scroll down to the 2006 vehicles. from what i can see, EVERY GM vehicle (except all saturn, all saab, and H1) has at least $1000-even the solstice!
    well, tonight when i got home the email was there. not from sales rep but from his manager. sales rep was pushing $17,400 on me and i was asking for $17,000. i figured that way at just under $2,000 in tax and fees i would be out the door for a safe $19,000. the manager said he had the deal of century for me........"just $19,800 out the door". i told him that what people are reporting on the internet forums clearly is true- they keep trying to gouge us!
    i said ,"thanks- but no thanks....scion xb here i come!"
    it will suit my needs just fine for $17000 "out the door"
    i can buy a lot of gas for $2,000! ;)