Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• geemacgeemac Member Posts: 28
    I test drove both engines with manual transmissions and purchased the 2.4, even though it called for moving up to the LT package. I got a few options I didn't particularly want but all-in-all I am satisfied with the extra HP. It still isn't particularly fast in pickup from a dead stop but it cruises quite nicely at interstate speeds. I wonder how long it will take Chevy to produce them with the 200+ HP engine currently available in the Cobalt. The car was located at a dealership that was over 100 miles away as the only one available locally with the 2.4 engine was a fully-loaded with a $23K price tag.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    2.0 SC Cobalt engine in later 2006.
  • mdcarbuyermdcarbuyer Member Posts: 9
    I have been looking around trying to find an HHR that meets my specs. It always seems that the ones that have the features I want also have a lot of other stuff I don't want sometimes carrying the price from just over 21k to over 23K. Add to this the fact that a lot of the dealers here won't negotiate from sticker and I'm beginning to think that I should just forget this car and spend the extra 2k and get the Pathfinder that was offered to me for 25 before I had even heard of this car. Is this the norm when buying these HHRs or is it just GM made cars that demand this premium? I had a similar experience when I looked at an Envoy a few years back and ended up going japanese. Is anyone really pay sticker for these cars?
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    HHR just came out. They have only built 19,000 vehicles so far and 8600 were built in September. Last month they had a 36 day supply and this month it is down to 25. The car is hot and GM cannot keep up. As usual many dealers will sell only at MSRP or above with a not vehicle. This is not a GM thing only.

However the build will catch up with sales probably in a month or so. I would go to a dealer and see if you can order one just as you want. They will probably only charge MSRP and you get what you want. May take a month to get it?
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Most GM cars sell at somewhere around a $3k to $5K discount. Why would anyone pay sticker or over sticker? The HHR is an alright little car in the $14K to $18K range(for those liking bells and whistles), but not above that. Get real, it is what it is. And keep an eye on the health of GM. This will one way or another effect pricing over the near future, and likely beyond. Seems like a decent car, but just don't get carried away as to the value.

Loren
    I don't understand how this makes them hot. When I access dealer inventory on the web I see plenty of cars available. In fact I was offered one at invoice that matched my wish list almost exactly except for the absence of leather seating and the "Sunburst Orange" color. I'll wait until January to buy when these cars have been sitting on dealer lots a bit longer and then maybe I'll be able to get it at a price where it won't bother me to get XM radio which I won't use after the 3 months expire or the CD changer which again I won't use, or any of the other extras thrown in..
    Well said Loren.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    GM new value pricing strategy has reduced prices significantly on many models and the HHR is priced competitively as well. Compare a PT Cruiser TMV price with an HHR and you'll see it's not that far off.

People have gotten so used to getting 10-15% off MSRP on GM cars that they don't realize they're a solid value now. They're building the best cars they've ever made and pricing them fairly, sounds like a win-win proposition.

I've always owned Japanese and have never even toyed with the idea of getting something American until now. I've been interested in the Honda Civic and Element as well. Nobody is complaining about paying MSRP for the new Civic. Why is that? Because it's priced fairly and competitively and you get what you pay for. The HHR is no different.
    I don't know if this is the case elsewhere, but here in Atlanta most dealers have 5-7 in stock and most of them are base LS models with the automatic transmission as the only option and a sticker of $16,990. Most of them have 1 or 2 loaded LTs with $23k stickers.

It seems like the ones "in between" are the ones that are selling. The husband of a co-worker works for a Chevy dealer and that's what he was saying, that the ones in the $18-20k range are the ones selling like hotcakes.

The only one I've seen under MSRP was at the dealer where I test drove an LT 2.4 automatic. It was a 5-speed manual LS with no options, stickered for $15,990 and they had a sign on the windshield for $15,495. It was still there last Sunday. I'm tempted and wondering if I could live with the 2.2/manual and no other options. Hmmm....
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    The 2.2L manual seems to represent an excellent value for folks w/o a need or desire to get the premo options. When you look at $15K new cars, there isn't a lot of selection out there - the HHR seems to me to be the best of the lot. Personally, I'd MUCH rather have an HHR than one of the new Civics at the same price point. I don't care if that car can drive on water, it's ugly as sin squared. The Honda name just doesn't carry enough cache anymore for me to get past the looks of that thing.

Speaking of styling, it's all a matter of personal taste, but I think the HHR is perhaps the best looking 2006 model on the road. One with fresh dealer tags came up behind me on the expressway today and I almost got in a bender because I kept eyeing it up in the mirror. The front-end, in particular, is absolutely gorgeous.

As far as pricing, I think the HHR is very reasonable for what you get. I've looked at a lot of different models recently and the 1LT is looking mighty attractive to me. Being patient and doing an order-out should get you in at no more than dealer invoice. Just take the Edmunds invoice price, add a couple hundred bucks and go in to a dealer and tell them that price is what another dealer is offering. 3 times out of 4, they'll beat it (if it's reasonable, they won't doubt your veracity) and then you can work a few more dealers from that starting point. Don't be too surprised if someone will do the deal on a factory order at less than invoice - even now. A little effort (playing dealers off each other) and patience (for build time) is well worth it for this car.

Don't ever expect to see this model with a $3K+ rebate. GM used to mark everything up thousands of dollars (read: $18K Cavaliers) and then run a 30 day blow-out sale every 12 months of the year. It didn't play the same game here - do some shopping around and that quickly becomes apparent. You're not going to see any $12K HHRs - unless they throw in crank windows and make A/C and cruise (both standard now) $1000 and $250 options respectively.
    M1miata

I'm not complaining about paying sticker for a Civic because that's not the car I am looking to buy. Plus I can tell you I've never paid sticker for any car I've owned. I just get the impression when I walk into a GM dealership that there is room to move on the prices but the dealers want to play hardball. I've postponed my purchase until sometime in January because of the potential for tax credits next year but when I do buy it'll be at the dealership in NJ that said he was offering it at invoice. I just checked the true invoice at this site and he's $300 over but still a markup I can live with considering he's running a business to make a profit. The price plus the fact that I get to order the color and options I want makes this the deal for me.
    Then someone needs to let the original questioner know where to find an HHR under MSRP. All I can know is that the car just came out, has a very low daily supply and the dealers seem not to be marking them down.

As I said, if he waits, GM will catch up to demand and prices will become negotiable.

Do not listen to the XM when you get it. You will be hooked. Cannot get enough of Fox news or Cafe:). What is a CD? Isn't that some technology before MP3 and Satellite? ;)
  • whipped95whipped95 Member Posts: 46
    "Speaking of styling, it's all a matter of personal taste, but I think the HHR is perhaps the best looking 2006 model on the road. One with fresh dealer tags came up behind me on the expressway today and I almost got in a bender because I kept eyeing it up in the mirror. The front-end, in particular, is absolutely gorgeous. "

I pulled up to an HHR in our new Mazda 5 and couldn't believe how tiny the HHR seemed compared to the 5. It's probably the best looking chevy I've seen, but I think the 5 is the best looking 2006 model on the road :).
  • falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    I was sitting in a South Beach cafe when one went by. Very nice front end but the rear looked like my old Jeep Liberty (not a bad thing). If you folks really want this car at a decent price, I have one word for you. WAIT!!!!! I am sure all of you are familiar with the PT Cruiser craze. Now you can get one of those for invoice price. Same will be true for the HHR. Trust me.......

Lastly, glad to hear it's a nice quiet interior and smooth. The PT I rented in Hawaii was VERY crude with respect to the engine, but it was fun to drive.
    Is'nt the 5 a midsize? HHR is based on Cobalt-compact car. And it is small inside compared to my minivan! So it will not meet my needs. :(
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Any problem with a Mazda 3 5dr? Decent mileage for commuting (less than Civic/Cobalt, better than HHR/PT), but loads of fun for less money than HHR w/ similar equipment. More manual tranny vehicles available for test drives.
    I did an Internet inquiry of several dealers in my geographical area -- through the Chevrolet website -- and just about every one offered a discount from the sticker price. Where I ran into a bit of a problem was locating one with the option package I wanted -- 1LT, 2.4, 5-speed, dark silver. The dealer I eventually purchased from did a locator search for me and only found one that came close to what I wanted. It did come with options that I could live with -- side air bags, fog lights, bright chrome trim, ABS, red -- within the price range quoted by my local dealer, who did not have one available but could order it in the configuration I wanted. There were plenty of 5-speed 2.2 combinations available, but the 2.4 was harder to find. The salesman explained that dealers were having trouble deciding what packages to put on the lot because consumer preferences were not yet established. For example, they had a fully-equipped black 2LT stickered at almost 24K that appeared to turn shoppers away due to the high price.
  • dylansmomdylansmom Member Posts: 1
    any idea if the hhr should have similar crash test ratings as cobalt? i have a 4 mo. old daughter and safety is a big issue, and consumer reports has not done their testing yet.">
    Did you check the Chevrolet website?

www.chevrolet.com
    Certain areas of the country get the most HHR's, while others barely have any. As stated the price will come down when supply is up. All previously new hot vehicles ( Beetle, PT, Focus, and eventually Mustang) will got discounts once the newness wares off.

GM and other American automakers have been in the process of changing their image to buyers who are used the automatic discounts thrown on the hood of the cars. GM's new price strategy is slowly converting consumers to not expect the big rebate right off the top. The employees pricing strategy helped save a lot of money in incentives and was very successful, though a smart shopper could generally make a better deal before this program took place. All models of GM cars are priced lower for 2006 as part of their new pricing program to get cars closer to the actual selling price right off the bat, though obviously one can bargain for a better price if they are so inclined like any other car manufacture. The days of $3,000-5,000 off list of cars no longer exists for those priced under $20,000 unless you through in a rebate which are getting smaller based on the lower price. Auto's, especially trucks over $20,000 or $30,000 will obviously get the largest discounts except for a few special models. General Motors has in my opinion always had a great selection of cars throughout its many divisions to satisfy any ones desires. People just got infactuated with these Japanese models because they were different, some looked at them as status symbols, and had a perception of better quality which is debatable, though most were better made (fit and finish).

The HHR is a bargain at any price range including the almost $24,000 models if you consider the competition and the amount of equipment included in that price. For one who has the money, the value is in the mind of the beholder, not the neighbor who drives around in used Hyundai or some other car. For me, the base price no thrills model wouldn't cut it and I couldn't live with it. Nor would the $24,000 model with about $4,000-$5,000 worth of stuff I wouldn't want.

As far as the new Civic you can have it. I would like to know what the big mystery and wait was for. This car does not stand out in a crowd, and it appears to have taken a step back from previous models in design, not to mention it has models that will break the $20,000 barrier.
    $24K for an HHR would be crazy. Maybe a fully loaded Impala for that price - well maybe.
    All I can say is be patient, lower prices ahead.

Loren
    FOX news? Get thee behind me Satan!
    I must agree that the HHR makes sense under $20k, but at $24k you can get an Accord V6, a loader Ford Fusion (for at least a thousand less) and several small SUVs. It is amazing to me that you can add almost $9000 to the HHR in options.

I saw one today in Daytona Blue and fell instantly in love. It was an LS model and it amazes me how good even those base LS models look with their plastic wheel covers and all. Like I said, the under $20k models are a steal. When it gets much over that amount, it becomes less of a value.

When I priced an LT 2.4L/5-speed manual on the Chevrolet website, it came out to about $19k with everything I'd want on it. A great deal in my opinion.
    What do you get for the extra $5000?
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    :P
  • lilredisbaddlilredisbadd Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: i'm trying to find someone with knoladge of the 2.8 motor and computer can you help or do you know who can? :confuse:
    It came out at least 25-years-ago, and was in the Chevy Citation not to mention other cars and trucks. The Citation X-11 models had a high-output version and was a screamer for its time. I have one in a S10 pick up. They are well known for durability, fuel efficiency, and longevity. They eventually evolved into the 3.1 L engine.
    I saw this in the Chicago Tribune recently and found it interesting. I always thought the PT Cruiser customs with the side panels looked hotter with the windows filled, now the HHR appears to possibly go that route. Could this be the replacement for the Astro van?

"HHR plus 1? Lori Queen, vehicle line executive for small cars at GM, said it's logical that a panel van would be first up among derivatives of the Chevrolet HHR, a throwback to the 1949 Suburban. She just won't say when."
  • lilredisbaddlilredisbadd Member Posts: 2
    can you help me with some computer questions about the 1992 s10 2.8 truck?
    On the one I built that came to $18,790. That was the 2LT with no additional options. It comes standard with everything I want, so no need for me to add anything else. As long as it has the 2.4L, 5-speed manual, great stereo and 17" inch wheels, that's all I need.

The 2LT with every option comes to $23,590 (plus anything else the dealer adds on). That includes automatic, 6-CD changer, leather, power sunroof, running boards, upgraded wheels, side curtain airbags, XM radio, rear spoiler and Onstar. That's $4800 more stuff over the base 2LT. The automatic tranny alone costs $1000- very pricey for an automatic compared to just about every other car.

I'm surprised that Onstar is an option on the HHR when it comes standard on cars like the base Saturn ION2 for $12k.
    Is a rear seat DVD player available?
    It doesn't look like a rear seat DVD system is available- from the factory or as a dealer installed accessory. Maybe they're trying to keep it from getting even more expensively since it would add $1500 to already loaded models?
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Its seems like alot of car for the money, but the PT is more like its worth the money, no more no less. The new interrior in teh PT is horrible.

Its wierd that people don't compare the HHR for the scion econoboxes, because if they did the HHR would probably win. Its alot bigger and more powerful and the final prices would probably be the same.

Its really nice with the chrome roof rails or w/e those things up there are called, and the crome trim on the inside is just enough without bieng eccessive. Nice.
    If you are talking about reprogramming it for better performance I have no knowledge other than it can be done. I would do a bunch of searches, if you already haven't, on online search engines. I have changed a control module in the distributer once, but that is about as much as I did. Being that this engine was in well over 10 million vehicles, I am sure there is every modification available. I have seen websites with high performance rebuild kits-headers, heads, cams, fuel injection, turbo's, etc.
  • woody68rswoody68rs Member Posts: 14
    We bought ours July 29th, it was the first sold in Kentucky, and second titled in Ohio. Sticker was just under $24k, and we gave $22k even for it. (2.4 auto 2LT) Dealers will come down off their "sticker" price even though it is a new vehicle. BTW 5888 miles and still loving it!!! Not to mention as I show my 68RS Camaro, my wife has won a couple trophies with her HHR!!! :blush: The folks with older street rods really appreciate the lines of the HHR.
    Any one know what is included in the Discount Options Package designated as 1 SZ? It wasn't clear on my invoice and I was apparently charged for the options that I selected.
    I could be wrong but I think it is some kind of discount designation.
    Yeah, looks like Chrysler did Chevy a favor by changing the interior and the exterior on the PT.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    We just picked up our FO 2.4 5MT 2LT on saturday. I'll have to get a few more miles on to see if I really like it (got a little 'new car' stiffness right now). I couldn't find a manual tranny one to test drive prior to ordering, but the only thing I've noticed so far is the physical shift pattern seems a little more different the other MT vehicles I've had. I had to go thru the gears a few times to 'train' myself where 2nd and 5th are. Gonna take me a while to figure out all the gizmos and how they work :)
  • pacermanpacerman Member Posts: 62
    Sat in a new blue 2LT the other day, I liked the blue guages, only thing that concerned me was my knee hitting the dash consol. Seems they placed the throttle pedal too close. Fit and finish looked OK, didn't seem claustrophobic to me , but I didn't take it for a test drive. maybe do that this weekend. It was $22,xxx, with the 5 gear. Wasn't too keen on the cloth upholstery.
    Got a call from a Chevy salesman I had contacted earlier asking if I was interested in a car they had acquired. Despite the fact I had told him I wasn't interested in paying over 21,000 for the car with the options I had selected he sent me a sticker that showed a price of 23,665. Well in the course of speaking with him and looking at a print of the sticker I realized the car was a demo. When I asked he said that he would give me a $1000 discount because of this. When I asked him how much miles it had on it all he could tell me was less than 5,000 miles. I was about to end the call when I noticed another shocker. There was a $995 dealer price add on charge. When I asked about it he said it was for transport of the car from it's present location. Basically he had tagged on a charge just so he could make me feel like I was getting a discount and I would be paying MSRP for what is essentially a used car.

I've had it with GM and their dishonest salespeople. They can take their HHR and ........
    :mad:
    Trust me, this isn't a GM sales tactic, this is simply a sales tactic employed by the vast majority of the auto industry. Honest salespersons are few and far between and they expect consumers to be ignorant of their purchase and not realize they're getting ripped off.

That's what I love so much about shopping for a car over the internet. You can be very firm about a price and get it in writing. You can also be more harsh than you might be in person and it's very easy to sever contact if they try to pull this kind of B.S.
  • 61116111 Member Posts: 13
    Let's not go crazy here, all car dealers can be like that, simply try another dealer. My HHR purchase was the just the opposite.

1. Test drive.
    2. I want one, but had to order the one I wanted.
    3. MSRP was close to $19500.
    4. I said $17000 is all you get.
    5. The next day we settled on $17400.
    6. Got my HHR in 7 weeks.

What a great car, everyone loves it. I get 31 MPG highway and 25-26MPG in the city. I got mine from H&H Chevy in Omaha NE. Now that my EXPEDITION"11-14 MPG" is parked and I drive the HHR for work, I save over $120-140 in gas every Month, thats about half the payment.

FYI I test drove the 2.2 auto but ordered the 2.4 auto, the 2.4 is the way to go.
    You actually got over $2000 off of sticker? I've heard a lot of people are paying MSRP or close to it. The best I've seen so far is $500 off sticker.

If you got that much off, you got an awesome deal! I'm with you on the 2.4, especially with the automatic.
    I putrchased my LT a couple of weeks ago. No prressure from the salesperson. Found a car equipped as I wanted -- with a little extra -- for $18,900. Took $1500 off the sticker and had the car shipped in three days at no extra charge. Arrived with 135 miles on it -- about the distance from its location to the dealer I bought it from.
  • ptw_ptw_ Member Posts: 1
    Placed my order Sep. 23 for a blue 2.4L HHR. Received notice it is scheduled for production Monday.

Estimated 3 more weeks to wait...

Tick... Tick...
  • 61116111 Member Posts: 13
    Man I hated waiting for mine, it sat at some backed up train/shipping station in Kansas for 13 days AGGH. 8 week to get the HHR not to bad. And sorry in my prior post I stated I paid $17400, it was really $17600 I forgot about the made up $200 dock fee I paid, But I can't complain $17600 not $19500.

GOOD LUCK
  • krejatonkrejaton Member Posts: 1
    Today, I test drove both, a PT Cruiser GT and an HHR LT both near the top of the cost scale ($24K), both similarly equipped and both nearly identical in price.

PT - I had actually gone to buy this model. I loved the exterior sytling, but I think it is a step down from 2005. I was a bit appalled at the interior...stark, harsh, just not attractive. It had that retro look but they carried it a bit too far. I did like the backend tonneau cover/table and the versatility of the removable seats. Another big plus was the center console design. Good solid steering, nice brakes. I thought the pick up from first to second was both sluggish and awkward, but once the turbo kicked in, it gave a good boost. The engine and road noise that seeped in to the passenger compartment bothered me.

HHR - Ended up at a Chevy dealer by accident. I thought I was at the (next door) Chrysler dealer. So I didn;t look like a total [non-permissible content removed], I decided to look around and I told them I had been shopping for a PT. The guy should me the HHR and I loved the exterior, but maybe not quite as much as the PT. But the interior blew me away. Well organized (but whoever located the power window controls low on the center panel should be horsewhipped!) and convenient. More room in the back then the PT, maybe a bit less in the second row of seats. The steering was a bit spongy as were the brakes, but the acceleration was far superior to the PT as was the quietness of the ride. Thought about it after the first test drive, went back and test drove it again...and it sits safely in my garage right now.
    Good choice, I think. I was a PT fam myself and have been planning to buy one for some time. I saw an HHR at a local dealership, test drove it, and had one in my possession within two weeks. (Didn't buy the one from the local dealer, but it's his fault he couldn't "make me an offer I couldn't refuse" like the dealer I eventually bought from.)
    I was once a car salesman back in the late 1980's (Mazda, Nissan, Chevrolet) and this was common practice. Once at the Nissan dealer we had a dealer trade come in on a new black Sentra for one of my customers. I inspected it and found the finish on one side to be pretty bad with what appeared to be a touch-up paint job. The dealer owner told the porter to park it on the East side of the lot facing away from the lights so when the new owner picked it up that evening he wouldn't see the finish and it would be his problem once he drove it off the lot. Well I was pissed off with this attitude and told the owner and the cars side was repainted. I was too honest for auto sales and within a year was out of it. "Welcome to the world of the car salesman."