Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Customer Satisfaction Surveys

Comments

• chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I got my mz6s 19 days ago from NJ. I live in PA.
    to date, I have not recd the license plates from the dealership. I called them today(25 aug) and they tell me that they did not get all the insurance information they needed(copies of ins. card) so nothing has been done on that front.

The temp window license "out-of-state" expires tomorrow (26-aug).

the selling exp was great. i walked out of the dealership with the car I wanted in less than 2 hours at the best possible price(read lowest possible) in the market.

how should I grade the customer service survey?
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    If the dealer is at fault not only should you rip them for poor customer relations on the survey you should also call Mazda customer service and complain. If they have done something that results in your temporary tags expiring (without giving you new tags immediately) then you should file a formal complaint.

No complaints = no change.

I suspect its the dealers fault in this case. We bought a car in NJ and the dealer took care of everything. Any information they needed they asked for right away. I thought in NJ the dealer was supposed to contact your insurance company and tell them what you bought??? Its been a while so I could be wrong.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    And this is what can be unfair...

The survey directly impacts your SALESPERSON. It's probably not his fault the license plates have not arrived. He probably knows nothing about it.

I once got trashed because the customer found a paper clip in the ashtray!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I would probably treat your wife differently and better than you....she is probably better looking than you.
  • jratcliffejratcliffe Member Posts: 233
    That cracks me up. There's a dealer in NW Indiana who posts frequently on an S2K board which shall remain nameless, who always has a couple in stock, and sells 'em at invoice plus about a hundred bucks in tags/license. Probably moves 2-3 units a month just through that board, folks fly into Chicago, pick up their new toy, drive it home.
  • rivertownrivertown Member Posts: 928
    LOL, cracked me up, too - not just the stab at ADM but also labeling it MSRP.
    Dunno if anybody with any sense has proofed the webpage. Doesn't look like it to me. LOL, even if I got bought there happily a CSI ding for professionalism/honesty/smarts/jokes/something would be in order.

Thanks for the lead on the 'good dealer'.
  • jratcliffejratcliffe Member Posts: 233
    If you want the board web address, email me, but if you're seriously looking at an S2K, you probably know it anyway.
  • bgabel1260bgabel1260 Member Posts: 135
    It gets more interesting.

My father bought a car (Forester) from the same dealership I did and he also had a survey to complete. During delivery he saw some grease on the carpet and wanted it removed. Unfortunately the technician rubbed it out with a brush and the carpet now has pill marks (like an old fleece jacket). So, survey now in hand, he went back to the dealership and said he was not "completely satisfied" because of the way the carpet looks. Talk about leverage: the dealership is going to replace the entire carpet (in exchange for a favorable survey). And they filled his gas tank too.

The survey really must be very important then. I don't quite understand it.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I always give them 10's. I'm afraid if I don't, they'll hurt me in service !!
    Just gave a salesperson on my team a lousy survey.

This salesperson happens to be Korean. He's one of the nicest people I've ever known.

On the survey the lady wrote..." I couldn't understand my salesperson"

Funny...he has an accent to be sure but he speaks English just fine.
    oddly enough she understood him enough to buy the car and write the check for the correct amount...
    I'd appreciate the referance to that dealer. I checked your profile for an e-mail address, but it's not shown. E-mail addy is on my profile.

Thanks.
  • peeetepeeete Member Posts: 136
    A trashing like that is outright discrimination. I would hope that Honda would understand that. I would call up that customer and tell them to take their service business elsewhere.

I deal with Fair Housing issues in Real Estate all the time and this sort of stuff really pushes my buttons.
    >>> I thought in NJ the dealer was supposed to contact your insurance company and tell them what you bought???<<<

that is correct. they did ask for my insurance agent's phone number. In fact I called up my agent and had the car added to the policy for their convinience.

now I have to keep calling the dealer 'cause the boss in not in yet and the insurance girl does not take any decisions w/o her boss.

"call back at 12:30" is the answer I get when I called in this morning.
    chikoo: I suggest you send certified letter to the "boss" detailing the steps you are going to take if the plates are not hand delivered ASAP. For example: lodge formal complaints with BBB, state, and Mazda. This will be useful if it goes as far as small claims court. I have a low threshold for getting irritated when confronted with incompetence. However, I do give people a chance to make things right before I do damage. If I were at the point you are I would just lodge the complaints. Its beyond "make it right." In my case, I had to butt heads with a Ford dealer and a "missing" part. I complained to Ford, BBB, and the state and everything got done in 1 day. One day. Like magic. The "found" the part, found someone to do the work, and even did it right. Amazing.

audia8q: I send her that post!!! I'm sure she will be flattered. A mechanic (at a small shop) told her that the fluid in her torque converter was going bad and needed to be changed. Well that would be fine but we had a MANUAL transmission car at the time. She laughed in his face!!!!
    Like you, I also like to give them a chance.
    I called back at 12:30.
    The boss is sending out "new temp" plates till they get me the new regular ones.
    I should be getting them as i write.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ..... >> lodge formal complaints with BBB, state, and Mazda. This will be useful if it goes as far as small claims court. I have a low threshold for getting irritated when confronted with incompetence. << ..

Why in God's name would you ever go through all that self induced madness ..?

I hate to tell you this but, the dealers in NJ don't have anything to do with plates (as in most states) ~ Zip, zero, na da, less than one, -0- .. they apply with the state and after that, they are left to wait til' the state get's around to it, most of the time the state is backed up, they make the dealers wait for titles, plates, registrations, etc and when you have just sold 150/250+ vehicles in a month, that's a lot of waiting .. "and" a lot of incurred cost to the dealers with double and triple runs off to the state agencies and no fun when the runners come back with -0- or perhaps only 50/60% of what is needed for the customer ..

So basically what your saying is, it's Ok for Mr. John J. Public to complain to your boss, tell your wife, file with the BBB, the State and file a small claims judgment against you, all because you parked in his favorite parking spot .. get a grip.!

Here's a perfect example: >> The boss is sending out "new temp" plates till they get me the new regular ones. << .. *this from the above post .. this means the dealer has to pay for another temp tag while the state goes into another coma ... and for all his aggravation, phone calls, runners, gas, time spent, he's going to get "gagged" bigtime on a survey .. I guess that's why I have yet to see the name at a dealership called ~ Moses Motorcars ..

Terry.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    the problem was with the dealer. they did not get my insurance details. if they could not get them, they should have called me up. instead they sat with hands folded till I CALLED THEM UP. and guess what? it took them ONLY 3 days after my call and faxing them the insurance papers to get my "regular plates".

so much for backed up DMV.
    current insurance policy on you when you bought the car? Or the little card that goes in the glove box that gives all the info?
    I think you missed the point. The DEALER dropped the ball and then started the run around.

"I hate to tell you this but, the dealers in NJ don't have anything to do with plates (as in most states) ~ Zip, zero, na da, less than one, -0- .."

This is just not true. If THEY dont get your insurance information on the proper paper YOU are out of luck for permenant plates.

Also the DMV is rarely back up for new car plates (in any state). Its automated for the most part. A human does have to check for the paperwork (from the DEALER) and then they type then VIN into their computer and then issue a plate. The plate is then mailed to the dealer or the dealer can go get it. 3 total steps. I seriously doubt they are every back up.
    what dealer wouldn't ask for your driver's license and insurance info before letting you take their car?

I guarantee there's more to this story - it doesn't add up.
  • tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    I've purchased new and used, in IL and MO and have NEVER been asked for proof of insurance.

I've registered at the IL Sec of State office and have NEVER been asked for proof of insurance.

Seems like the only time you are asked is if you are pulled over or have an accident around these parts.

However, I've never driven a car I've purchased a foot on public roads without making a 5 minute call to USAA and tucking a copy of my old insurance card with my policy number in the envelope with my Bill o'Sale and/or the temporary registration info.

TB
    were mandated to ask for, before a test drive, before write up, and certainly before the F&I paperwork was completed.
    >>> I guarantee there's more to this story - it doesn't add up. <<<

the dealer wanted a copy of the insurance card with the NEW car on it. He asked for my insurance agent's phone number and assured me that he will get the information directly from my agent. Great. I was happy. not for too long.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    My dealer here in NJ asks for the company name and policy number to put on the temp tag. They speak to my agent and they usually fax a copy of the invoice with the MSRP on it to determine the insurance rates. My agent usually types a temporary insurance ID card and either faxes it to me, mails it, or has it at the office for pickup. The permanent insurance card usually shows up within 2 weeks along with an amended insurance policy and a bill for any pro-rated difference.

Since most finance/lease contracts require full coverage, I find it hard to believe that any F&I person would let you out the door without proof of insurance.

Back on topic - I always give sales surveys perfect scores. If they did something wrong, I have a better way to get back at them... I simply never return - they need my service and parts purchases to stay in business, and they just won't get them.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
    When I called my ins agent the day after picking up the car, the dealer had already called; and ins agent opened the conversation with "How do you like your new Si?"

Even so, it was 3+ weeks before the dealer had my tag - which I chaulked up to typical customer service, i.e. serve the dealer, not the customer.

One reason for delay on getting tags is likely to be the dealer's reluctance to register the car before he receives payment from the lender. If the lender doesn't pay and the dealer needs to take the car back, registration prevents him from selling it as 'new'.

A simple, straightforward explanation along with expeditious clerical work would go a long way toward improving relations (and CSI scores).

DMV hang-ups! Hooey (and CSI ding from me).
    Teh DMV just messes up. Not often, but it happens.

If a person wants to punish ME for this, it probably doesn't matter since they will get the phone survey long before their plates are overdue.

A sloppy dealer can indeed cause the problem but it really irks me here when certain posters blame EVERYTHING on the dealer.
    I don't see the CSI as personal, i.e. as directed at any one party. The items ask about services delivered by various people at the dealership.

If the F&I guy plays games or the SM pushes for a profit bump or the dealership gal handling DMV doesn't have time to do the job or the service writer doesn't wanna mess with a tire leak the day after a sale or the prep guy does a shoddy job or somebody decides to hold up registration 'till the money's in? It sounds like the salesguy takes a hit if I ding on any of these issues?

As a customer, this just isn't my prob nor a prob I've caused. If it's a prob with customer service teamwork, take a look at the team leader. It's not rare at all to promote team cohesion by delivering team rewards and sanctions, nor is it rare at all for a top performer to be hurt by poor performer team members. That's not good at all, IMO; but to suggest as a fix that the customer become satisfied with unsatisfactory service is . . . . .
    Or else we weren't very clear...

Fiar or unfair, right or wrong...

The survey affects the SALESPERSON!

So, you make an unacceptable offer and the SM want's more...the F& I person annoys you or you run over a nail and service can't force you in ahead of everyone else.

Your "revenge" on the CSI survey will hit your salesperson.

Now...the only thing that matters are the actual scores. I encourage my customers to make comments if they are especially pleased or displeased with another element of the sale.

Again, I don't think any of us like the current system but that's what we live with.
    So, in nj the car salesperson calls the agent and gets the insurance for the buyer??? What if the salesperson takes it upon himself to change the terms of the policy??? what if he talks to the agent about your crazy driving habits? or the drunk driving rap you beat last year??? I think its insanity to expect or encourage anyone buy the buyer to notify the agent of insurance changes......I also wonder is this violates the Gramm-baily federal privacy act that went into law recently????

Confirmation of insuance coverages by the dealership is fine....adding to deleting to a policy is a bit risky to me. Remember, all the posts on here about the shady salesperson and crooked dealership?? you want them handling your insuarance changes???
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    depends on the state you live in. In Maryland, my dealer issued me my plates on the spot, when I got my latest PT Cruiser. There was no question about the insurance, however.....

Apparently the MVA gets the information from the insurer of record as to whether a vehicle is insured or not. When I added the PT Cruiser to my policy, I also removed the Windstar that I had traded in. Within a month, I had received a letter from the MVA threatening me with a fine for an uninsured Windstar unless I could prove that I no longer owned it.
    same with PA - I've gotten those threatening letters fom the state that appear to take your first born if you don't put insurance on the vehicle you sold two months ago...
  • bgabel1260bgabel1260 Member Posts: 135
    What happens if you don't return the survey? If "satisfied" is considered a negative then maybe I should just throw this junk survey in the garbage.
    doesn't hurt anything.

If you offer good scores, though, it will help keep their average up.

That's another reason why sometimes, when dealing with someone we knew would be a butthead, we RDR'd the car to someone else's address, having the survey pop up at my neighbor's house.
    I believe, they have gone to phone surveys. I know some places were offering bribes if the paper surveys were brought back to them.

I would MUCH rather have a customer refuse to answer the questions then give me a bad survey.
    >>> Back on topic - I always give sales surveys perfect scores. If they did something wrong, I have a better way to get back at them... I simply never return - they need my service and parts purchases to stay in business, and they just won't get them. <<<

doing so, will only lead the salesperson to believe that he did everything right. The salesperson also has to learn. Why should the dealership suffer for the salesperson's mistakes?
    I was listening (reading, rather), and I did get it. I understand that the CSI affects the salesperson. What I don't understand is whether it affects anybody else - like the sales manager, the F&I guy, the owner/principal, etc., who has an effect on the CSI.
    Not that any of that matters to me as a customer, or should. If the sales manager quotes a price and then bumps it, if the plate runner doesn't get my plates in a week and doesn't call to explain, if the prep guy or the salesguy delivers the car with a slow leak due to an inventory sticker 'tween the wheel and the bead and the service guy sends me to the tire store, if the F&I guy keeps me sitting after he's gotten the info that I'm not buying any of his products - then I'm gonna show dissatisfaction on the CSI on the items that best reflect the truth of the situation.
    It seems truly unfortunate if the CSI falls only on the salesguy's head when other dealer staff have such an affect on the customer's satisfaction. Why get bent with the customer, though, if the prob is at the dealership?
    Whatever...

I tried...I knew better.

Sorry, everyone.
    No prob. Enlightening discussion.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    So, in nj the car salesperson calls the agent and gets the insurance for the buyer??? What if the salesperson takes it upon himself to change the terms of the policy??? what if he talks to the agent about your crazy driving habits? or the drunk driving rap you beat last year??? I think its insanity to expect or encourage anyone buy the buyer to notify the agent of insurance changes......I also wonder is this violates the Gramm-baily federal privacy act that went into law recently????

Rich, the dealer isn't getting the insurance for me, they're just getting my existing insurance information from my agent for the lender, and supplying the necessary vehicle information for my insurance company. While a vindictive salesperson might be tempted to say things like you mention, I doubt that has ever happened, and the agent can certainly request a DMV report if they're curious. Terms of a policy cannot be changed over the phone - requires a form and a signature.

If I was a first time buyer, then it is up to me to arrange that initial insurance policy.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
    Thanks for the info...up here in CT, most insurance agents will not discuss anything with anyone but the insured. It's even hard for us to "verify" coverages....
    Of the new privacy laws. It keeps getting harder and harder to conduct business.

Seems every six months we get another form to fill out.
  • dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    River,
    Curiosity question. Do you give the dealership a chance to make things right first before you would give negative marks on the CSI?
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    In reference to the csi questions you asked about in your last post. With Toyota we had a 0-5 scale, 5 being "Completely satisfied" However the sruvey was flawed as it asked about the experience with the finance manager et, al, but the final score reflected on the salesperson and those scores were used to qualify for sales society, manufacturers bonus money for the salesperson, etc,etc. I remember a few years ago an elderly couple came back to buy an Avalon from me because they said "you didn't try to hustle us like the other dealers we went to and you also explained all the features on the car to us which no one else did." I was very grateful for that as the lady went up to the GSM him why they came back to buy the car. After they came out of the finance office it was a different story. The lady came up to me as I was bringing the car up to the delivery area and said "I wish you would have warned us about that witch in there!" At that time we had a girl in finance that was not well versed in dealing with older customers or other customers as well. She was rude and would talk down to people. Anyway she cost me quite a bit of money after I received the surveys and the section about the finance came back as completely dissatisfied. Needless to say she didn't last long in that department and was let go. So to answer your question, yep other people can affect your CSI but it's all blamed on the salesperson. Toyota finally realized this and did away with the survey. They still do random surveys but the salesperson is never mentioned and they are no longer tied to monetary rewards.
           : )
           Mackabee
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    The tire warranty is covered by the tire manufacturer, not the dealer. Read the warranty papers.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    .... >> Also the DMV is rarely back up for new car plates (in any state). Its automated for the most part. A human does have to check for the paperwork (from the DEALER) and then they type then VIN into their computer and then issue a plate. The plate is then mailed to the dealer or the dealer can go get it. 3 total steps. I seriously doubt they are every back up. << ..

Really ..? I think you have been watching a little too much Star Trek and sipping a little too much Jack Daniels .. but what would I know, I only turn about 300 titles/plates a year via NJ .. the whole reason why they went to a computer system in NJ, FL, GA, Oh, PA, NC, TN, etc, is to speed things up .. but don't hold your breath, it's now taking longer than before .. 3 total steps ..? and 4 back ..!

Terry.
    Honda still does it the way you described.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Argh! I hated that system! One slip by F$I and your score dropped to 80% which might as well be failing for all intents and purposes. How's it going over there in your area? Sales are darn good here in my neck of the woods. We are pumping double the units in our new facility.
                     Vic