Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tires for infiniti G35 coupe

jaydhjaydh Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in INFINITI
Which replacement tires will be best when time comes. I feel as though I will have to mortgage my house considering the price of these tires. Seems like prices range from about $175 per to 275 Per tire, and they can't be rotated because different sizes front and rear. How many miles can we expect to get out of a set of tires?

Comments

• q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    The price of squeezeing 10% more handling and braking from a car. How many feet less would be acceptable in dry or wet braking distance. How many mph slower around a corner? How much less safety factor will be acceptable?

Tires make up 85-90% of what's possible from a vehicle.

Directional tires while offering a 2-3% improvement in certain wet braking situations are the bame of mankind.

In order to optimize wear [minimize heel toe feathering] the directional tires will have to be demounted and flipped on opposite rims every 3,000-7,500 miles depending on exactness of alignment and your roads. Exactness of camber and toe alignment is critical as is the proper inflation adjusted as the ambient temperature changes.
    Tire balance must be set every 3 months on a Hunter 9700 radial force machine.

This sport coupe will require lots of precision and perfection to maintain as new performance.

Nissan has brought the COST/benefits of performance down to the masses [in a $33k car].

Owners driving style has a lot to do with tire life but the average should be around 23,000 miles with some getting 12k and some 30k.
    The Michelin Pilot Sports are as good as you can get.

Don't worry the Koreans and Chinese will come out with cheap tires in yours sizes.......just don't follow too close or speed in the rain.

We see this all the time as the 1990-2002 Q45 came with the most expensive highest performance tire money could buy. Cheap owners substitute cheap tires and live or die with the consequences.

This whole 18" - 22 " tire wheel thing is so "bling bling" [brake rotor sizes can usually be accomidiated by 17" wheels and tires]
  • ticosticos Member Posts: 19
    I don't think there is a need to call anybody cheap if they simply want to find alternatives to the OEM Michelin's. I do agree that the Michelin Pilots are good.
    I have read that the Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position tires are a good alternative to the OEM Michelin's. They can be purchased at Costco for about $50 less per tire than the Michelins. I hope this helps.
  • cpv35cpv35 Member Posts: 6
    I was looking at the Bridgestones too - using Tire Rack to Compare prices. The S-03 seems a capable replacement - has the same 220 wear rating at the Pilot Sport, too. Set of four ~$780.

Checked out the new Bridgestone RE-750 specs on Tire Rack (have had three sets of RE-71/RE-730 17" tires on my TRD Solara - good tire for the money). Wear rating is 340. But the closest sizes are /40s, which gives a minus ~3.5% speedo error and a harsher ride. Grippy, though, and don't squeal and chirp in hard use like Michelins. Set of 4 ~$630.

Also checked out the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Highly rated - performance similar to the S-03 and Pilot Sport. Offer the same /45 rear size, but you have to settle for /40s in the front. (At least no speedo error). Wear rating 280. Set of 4 ~$740.

Then there's the Toyo Proxes T1-S. (These are shaved 50% and used as the race tire for the Speed World Challenge Touring Car series.) Have to settle for /40s on the front. Wear rating 280. Internet price at Frisby Tire for set of 4 ~$1000.

Tire costs for this car could equal insurance costs!
  • bryannbryann Member Posts: 54
    what is up with all the racist name calling? why do you insist on bashing Koreans and Chinese? let the buyer decide what are the important factors for their decision when making tire purchases. you can sacrifice a little more performance for a harder compound that will get you more mileage. not everyone drives at way above national speed limits anyway. just let the owners decide for themselves and let them choose which maker and manufacturer is best for them without having to decide with Race being a factor.
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    "racist name calling? why do you insist on bashing Koreans and Chinese"

You're right I should have just stuck with LOW COST vs being specific.
    US, UK, Japanese, French, German, Malaysian, Finnish, Indian, and Italian companies make some horrible cheap tires also! Everybody does to be competitive at the bottom and middle price ranges.

You can find $25, $50, $75, $100, $135 each tires in the 15" size. Retail cost doesn't always reflect quality on every tire.......but everybody's most expensive tire is probably satisfactory for most drivers.
    AS long as the tires meet OEM PLACARD: load rating, size, and speed rating your insurance company should stand behind you and not refuse coverage for improper or illegal fitment.

I suggest members consult:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp</a
    or Tire Dealer or Tire Retailer magazine which have annual surveys of quality and uniformity as view by the sellers of tires.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Questionable post has been deleted with explanation to poster.

Shifty the Host
  • bryannbryann Member Posts: 54
    thanks shifty. i am not trying to be PC, but the tone of the message was a little more than i could tolerate wihtout at least a response.
  • supra880supra880 Member Posts: 9
    I haven't had a chance to test this out, but a friend of mine tells me that you can go to DiscountTire or other place and haggle with them on the price, especially on the more expensive 18" tires. He told me a story of a friend of his went to get some 19" tires at DT, and told the service guy there that he was just checking out pricing. Before he knew it, the service manager came up and offered him 50% off a set of four tires, as long as they were in stock. He came away with four Yokahomas.

Again, I don't know the validity of this story, but will try it out next time I need some tires for my 6MT Coupe.
This discussion has been closed.