Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GX 470

mcs19mcs19 Member Posts: 14
edited October 2014 in Lexus
Does anyone know what changes are in store for the GX470 in 2004? I heard about a different rear suspension. Will this affect the 3rd row seating? Any chance the 3rd row seats will be modified so that there are foot wells under the seats instead of just sticking seats in the back so that Lexus can claim its got 3rd row seating?

Comments

• JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
  • skip30skip30 Member Posts: 33
    Saw a 2004 tonight and everything is the same.
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Is it a new option for 2004 GX470?
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    I actually saw the 2004 GX brochure briefly because the salesman was holding it pretty "tightly".
    However, I was able to read with my own eyes about the fancy new "Dynamic suspension system" which the salesman told me would make the GX even a better off-road vehicle and smoother too.

He actually got a list of changes in his hands and it was the exact same 5 posted by someone on the GX forum:

1)back-up camera
    2)new Dynamic Suspension system
    3)Roll-over sensor
    4)tire pressure sensor
    5)gross weight increase to above 6000lbs

Nothing mentioned about changes to that sorry poor-excuse-for-a-3rd row seat.

No mention of HID headlights or that new fancy new headlight system in the RX330 that turns as the car turns.

Oh, by the way, the voice recognition of the NAV is pretty primitive. The technology is apparently not all there.

No other changes.
  • JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    I was going off of an internal memo that made no mention of such changes.
    I have the brochure in my grubby hands right now
    and noticed the same 5 changes posted above (in small print it says "available in November 2003")
    I saw the 2004 price (base model) is about $200 more than 2003 model from Kelly Blue Book website. And no big price increase on options. One dealer (in MA) told they presold all of their 2004 silver pine and has to allocate at the end of September or early October. It could be the best time for a best deal on 2003 models.
  • rjmespnrjmespn Member Posts: 3
    Just got a call from my lexus dealer. He said he just finished a meeting with the district rep. September builds on the 2004 version will have GSVW of 6150lbs.(I will believe it when I see it). November builds will have KDSS as an option and the back-up camera will be included in the ML/NAV option. It looks like with the builds in Sept. & Nov. and shipping time we will be up against the tax wall to qualify for the 179 deduction in 2003. I hope this info helps.
  • bjoyebjoye Member Posts: 35
    rjmespn,
    Did your dealer have any idea what the actual ETA of those models might be? I think I'd like to have the KDSS, but not at the expense of missing the year end tax deadline. I can wait as close to December 31st as necessary, but I won't miss it.
    bjoye
    The dealer would not be specific on the KDSS option, only that it would be offered starting with the November builds. He advised me to get an order in if I wanted KDSS so he could get a VIN# assigned and then we could get an idea of a arrival date. Remember, they are built in Japan (slow boat to U.S.) I think Lexus is missing the boat with the bits of information pipeline. I need hard dates and accurate information to make a 50K decision not the BS we have been getting. I would have a plan B ready. I will not miss the deduction this year either.I would bet it will be re worked by next year like 8000 to qualify. The one good thing is the government works slow, kinda like the Lexus information pipeline...
  • tony50tony50 Member Posts: 15
    I just got off the phone with Lexus. The lady said Japan will start producing the GX's with the KDSS in November and start arriving late January 04 in the US. She said Lexus gets weekly requests from the dealers and produces to meet that need. Lexus tries not to over-produce, leaving a lot of excess on the dealers' lots. She also mentioned if I wanted a specific and not typical order of options (like a GX without the roof rack), it would take up to 4 months for Japan to make and ship it here. Apparently, Lexus does the majority of option installations at the factory versus a regional facility or dealership.

I asked about plans to offer the xenon headlights in 04. Unfortunately, she said Lexus has no plans to do that for the 04 model. But, if customers complained and/or requested xenons, then Lexus would offer the option next year. (Hint! Hint! People.)

Lastly, I asked about the optional alloy wheels shown on Lexus.com under GX Accessories. The 10-spoke rim looks great, but, by mistake, it is not being offered for the GX as a Lexus-installed option...got to talk to the dealership to do an aftermarket add-on...bummer!
  • redhawk2redhawk2 Member Posts: 10
    Visited lexus dealer today, picked up 04 brochure which states that KDSS, Tire Pressure Monitor System, Rear View Backup Camera and Roll Sensing System would all be available Nov.03. So, I ordered a GX with EVERYTHING on it(including the kitchen sink) for $2K over dealer invoice. Said I should have it by late Nov. or early Dec., maybe earlier since lexus usually produced a little earlier than what they say. Ready for a new wrinkle? Dealer said that an enhanced NAV system would be offered in Jan 04 that was FAR superior to existing one-----well worth the wait. I got the impression it was the same one they put in the new LS400.
    How did you get that kind of deal?
    $2K over invoice on a fully loaded GX means at least $6K off MSRP. That is great. You should be very happy with that deal!
    And it's even a hot 2004 model with all the upgrades!
    redhawk, please tell us which part of the country you're in and how you negotiated such a great deal on a new model. So are you getting the KDSS, camera and all those new features? And they think you'll get it before year end?

I'd love to know, because if you can get all those before year end by placing an order now, then I'll head to the Lexus dealership this weekend.
  • donovan8donovan8 Member Posts: 4
    i just purchased a 2004 GX470 with everything (rear entertainment, nav system w/Levison, 3rd row seat,tow package, cargo net, spoiler) for $48,700 through lexusus.com. I had done a lot of internet shopping and talking with a couple of local dealers here in San Diego and they were $1,000 off anyone else and $3,000 off MSRP. They located the car at a dealership just north of me (75 miles) but will deliver it to my work. The complaint I have is most of the sales people were telling me that you basiclly have to take 2 or 3 of the packages if you don't want to wait several months for your car. I wouldn't have bought the nav system but for the price I think I got a good deal.
    So they brought it to your work and you got to test drive it before buying it or did you buy it first and then they drove it to your work?
    I guess you got about $4K off MSRP, which is a pretty good deal on a 2004.
    Oh, you will be very glad you got the NAV.
    After you spoil yourself using the NAV, you will love it forever.
  • donovan8donovan8 Member Posts: 4
    just bought it. they'll deliver it next monday. test drove one at a dealership.
    I just emailed my local dealer for a quote on an '04 GX, hopefully with the new options and hopefully with the new (higher) GVWR, here's his reply:

"The GX 470 that you have outlined in your e-mail, Kinetic Suspension, Tire Pressure Monitor, and Roll-Sensing Airbags, will not begin production until December of this year. This means that we will not see them until sometime in January or February. And this vehicle will be the first series to qualify for the over 6,000 pound gross vehicle weight. The 2004's that we have received so far still do not qualify."

Has ANYONE EVER seen a GX with a GVWR>6000 as of this date? If they can't get one buy the end of the year, I'll be buying something else. No choice.
    bjoye: The salesman might be blowing smoke. I was over at my local lexus dealer this week and he showed me the lexus generated e-mail that stated the GX470 September builds that have a 9700B code will be 6150 GSVW. Rear camera will be part of the Nav option and be on November builds. Lexus is very slow in communicating this information. I guess until all of the 03's are gone they don't want to inform us. I have a 6150 GSVW GX arriving the second week in October. I hope the sticker is right or my purchase is on hold.
  • agostineagostine Member Posts: 2
    i looked at an '03 GX and the dealer was saying this car qualified as being over 6,000 lbs, citing it as a selling point. but the place was swamped and i never got a chance to ask how this worked as a tax advantage. can someone please explain it?
    Is this an option or part of the package? Is this first in the automobile industry. I think this a good item to have. How the system can detect if the roll rover is just about to happen?
    rjmespn,
    Thanks for the info, I've emailed my dealer again and asked him to double check. Do you mind telling me which part of the country you're in? I'm in Greensboro, NC. I may try emailing the dealer in Raleigh to see if they know anything better. My wife is probably going to kill me, I keep taking her up and down the GVWR roller coaster, one day I think we can get the GX, the next day I'm told we can't!

agostine,
    The weight issue is this: there is a tax loophole in section 179 of the tax code that says if your vehicle's GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating--not curb weight)is GREATER than 6000lbs, then it's treated differently than a passenger car. Bush's latest stimulus package raised the depreciation amount so that you could depreciate up to 100% of the value of the vehicle in the first year. So if you are a small business owner and use your vehicle 100% for business, then you can buy an SUV with a GVWR over 6000lbs and depreciate it 100% the first year. So if you bought a $50K SUV and were in a 40% tax bracket, you'd get about $20K off your taxes. The GVWR must be OVER 6000--so the '03 GXs DO NOT count no matter what the sales guy says. It has to be at least 6001 lbs. That's what I'm waiting on, the '04s to have a GVWR >6000. Hope that helps.
    I am 100% ignorant on the business tax thing.
    So are you serious?
    You would save $20,000 on your income tax just for one more pound on the GX?
    So on your business deductions (spending), how much do you deduct in order to save $20,000?
    Do you deduct $50K?
    If so, I gotta find myself a small business:-)
    I am also new to this. I don't use my vehicle for business. But I think this is a great idea for people who use this vehicle for business use. BTW, I heard many discussions about the GVWR on 2003 GX (6000 lbs) vs. 2004 GX (6100 lbs). Why there is a different on the same vehicle? Isn't the options on the car?
    andrewtran,
    Yes, I'm serious. But I am not an accountant. But I have discussed it with mine and read everything I can find on the topic. Do a search for Section 179 SUV tax loophole on Google and you'll find lots of stuff. The % you can save depends on 1) the % you drive it for business and 2) the % tax bracket you're in. Plus, you CANNOT count commuting mileage to your primary office from your home as business mileage. Let's say you own your own realty company. You have an office 5 miles from your home. Off the top, you can't count that 10 mile commute each day, but all the other business miles count. So if that comes out to 99% business, then you can write off 99% of the price of the SUV. And if you're in a 40% tax bracket, then that comes out as about a 40% price on the car. Notice this is a tax "deduction" not a tax "credit". I think if you buy an electric car you can get a 2 or 4 grand tax credit, which means you actually get all 2 or 4 grand back at tax time.

Before you even consider this you should thoroughly grill your accountant about your personal situation.

The other caveat is that you have to keep the SUV for 5 years, you can't turn around and sell it next year for a profit. If you sell it early, the IRS will "recapture" part of your deduction.
    I emailed another dealer in my area about the GVWR issue and here's their reply:

"Unfortunately, the GX470 does not qualify for the 6,000 lbs vehicle tax break, as of yet. It will be reviewed and changed February 2004. To receive the tax break before the end of the year, the only vehicle that we have that
    is over 6,000 lbs. is our LX470."

That doesn't sound promising. I even mentioned the info about September builds with the 9700B code that rjmespn provided.
    A Lexus sales manager told me there is talk that the GX will be re-labeled as a 2005 after the first of the year--a whole year ahead of 2005--quite a surprise if it turns out true.
    Why in the world would Lexus do that?
    Just to make it sound "NEWER"?
    It doesn't make any sense to me.
    It might back-fire because most people expect more high-tech these days. What I mean is, the 2004 Acura MDX already has side curtain airbags for ALL THREE ROWS and yet the 2004 LX470 and GX470 do NOT.
    People will say, "a 2005 GX doesn't even have side curtain airbags for the 3rd row and a 2004 MDX has side curtain airbags for all 3 rows?"
    That makes Lexus look very "behind" on technology.
    What happened to the "passionate pursuit of perfection" ?
    But, then again, why would the sales manager lie to you? He was not kidding around, right?
    I don't think the sales manager was trying to BS me at all. He made the comment when we were talking about ordering and waiting for the new GX features to come in November. He said it was "talk" so I wouldn't make any rash decision now. I want the new features on my GX which will be for my personal, non-business use. Whether it gets reclassified as a 6100+ lbs vehicle for tax purposes does not matter to me. Seeing how things are going though, it will probably be after the new year before I get mine--oh well, I can wait a little longer.

The other juicy tidbit I did not mention when I test drove the GX was that the LX is getting a bigger V8 next year and a lot of the GX technology will be integrated into it as well (suspension, etc.). Obviously, Lexus wants its flagship SUV to compete better with Infiniti, Lincoln, and Cadillac SUVs. I got to say when I test drove the GX, it was the best, smoothest, quietest ride of any SUV or sedan I have driven. The fit and finish were far above any other brand I've seen (caveat: I haven't driven any Rolls, Bentley's, or other super-luxury cars). Anyway, after the test drive, I was convinced the GX was for me. I gladly leave the Volvo XC-90, Acura MDX, VW Touareg, and BMW X-5 for other people to buy. Test drive them all and see for yourself.

By the way, I called LexusUS.com, and the guy said I can expect about $4K off MSRP. He said the lowest prices usually come from the CA dealerships and that it would cost me about $600 to ship it cross-country. This is the best offer I've heard so far--sounds like a winner to me.
    I think I agree with you 100%.

Are you getting the extended warranty or trading in a vehicle?

Like I've told my friends and family, once you own a Lexus, you are hooked for life. You look at a $80K Range Rover and then look at a $53K GX470 and the Lexus still looks a lot better.

It's good that the LX is getting more improvements. Like you said, it only means the GX will also inherit those improvements.
    No, I'm not getting the extended warranty or doing a trade-in. The extra warranty is just money in Lexus' pocket. The reliability and quality of workmanship are what sold you on Lexus, right? Chances are you won't use the warranty. When you do need it, the warranty would have probably expired. Save your money and the interest to fix the problem when or if it occurs. With that said, don't short change (delay) the maintenance. I've faithfully changed the oil and filter every 5K miles with Mobile 1 and Fram filters--my '91 Maxima is still going strong. Do all the suggested maintenance when you're supposed to. But, I usually go to a garage that I trust to do the big tune-ups, not the dealerships which charge a lot more.
    Yeah, I've never bought extended warranties from the dealers before either.
    I most likely won't buy any extended warranties for the GX or any Lexus.
    I think it's so cool that we can get such huge discounts on the GX. This makes buying the GX a lot easier when doing the comparison shopping.
    Good luck on your purchase of the very awesome GX470!
    donovan8 posted here that he had ordered using Lexusus.com, I haven't heard the final outcome. Has anyone completed a transaction with them and can tell us how it went? I'm considering going that route since it looks like they're routinely offering $4K off MSRP on '04s.
    I've now talked with all 3 dealers in my state and they all confirm that the 9700B models arriving next week or so will have the GVWR of 6150lbs. My local dealer says they've added the KDSS suspension and that's what's made the difference. Now I'm sure they had to do something to bump the weight, but I'm skeptical if it's actually the KDSS since it's not supposed to show up until the Novermber builds. I think it may just be a heavier suspension, but I'm just guessing, I have no solid info on this.
  • yjlauferyjlaufer Member Posts: 2
    In Israel, the GX470 is sold as Toyota Land Cruiser.
    Many features like V-8, side air bags, 11 spkr stereo, xenon lights are not available to this market.
    Does US model come w/ xenon's ?
    If not , does anyone have experience w/ retrofitting the oem lights w/ xenons ?

yjlaufer@netvision.net.il
    the GX does NOT come with Xenons. Lexus has said it's because the height of the lamps would cause the xenons to blind oncoming drivers. folks don't seem to buy that answer since other tall vehicles have them.
    I like the idea of the xenon and HID headlights to light the road in the dark. I am not an engineer. But is it possible to make the windshield to reduce the headlight glaze of the oncoming cars or even sunlight... something like the auto dimming rearview mirror?
  • lehighlexuslehighlexus Member Posts: 94
    Children are more likely to get killed by the airbag itself rather than the impact of the collision wearing a seat belt. I can understand why Lexus does not offer 3rd row curtains
  • jbrauniljbraunil Member Posts: 3
    While I live in IL., I'm thinking of buying a GX in California in Feb, and driving it home.
    Does anyone know if there are any additions to the GX to adhere to Calif. emission standards that are not necessary anywhere else?
  • robertmfinerobertmfine Member Posts: 1
    My sales manager told me that the new Nav system in production in Nov and for sale in Dec will have the backup video camera as it's only change now. Also he said KDSS will not be available until Dec build due in Jan '05.
  • tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    I'm seriously considering moving down from a full size SUV and it looks like the GX470 has the most to offer me. I cannot find any site that gives the actual dimensions of the cargo area.(behind the front seats to the rear gate.) I do occasional hauling (tables, etc.) and short of going to the dealership with a tape measure, can't get any info other than the overall cubic footage (77.5)If anyone out there knows these measurements I would appreciate it!
  • chucky8chucky8 Member Posts: 2
    Tigger,

Here are the dimensions I measured from my 2003:
    62 long, 45 wide (inside the wheel well), and 41 high.

I love my GX, but hauling things other than people definitely isn't one of its strong suits. The layout is uneven and the 3rd row seats get in the way unless you remove them.

Good luck.
  • tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    Thanks for the info, Chucky! I would absolutely pull the 3rd row seats out and stash them till trade-in, I have no use for them. Looks like I'll have to find some 5 foot folding tables if I were to get one lol- I'm just sick of driving a full sizer that I only use to capacity about 4 times a year, I would rather treat myself to something like the GX470 and maybe get a medium size cargo trailer. It is kinda suprising that it has less cargo area than most in the mid size market, but it sure wins hands down in the lux dept. - better wait for a GVWR 6150 model for that trailer.....
  • wag100wag100 Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted $50,000.00 today for a loaded GX (MSRP $53,243.00). I live in the Southeast (TN). Is this pricing consistent with pricing seen in other parts of the country? Is this a fair deal? Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    I only got $2,500 off $52,700 MSRP. While not an especially good discount I needed to get 6150 GVWR model before year end and dealer claimed to have deposits for nearly all of his expected ships prior to year end. Anyway, I got my tax deduction sitting in my garage and since Uncle Sam is paying over 1/3 of it I felt I had better take it.
    same here in NC, $3K off MSRP was best I could do.
  • jrhanifanjrhanifan Member Posts: 2
    The reviews on the nav system seem mixed. Can those who have it elaborate on its ease of use? I test drove a GX a few days ago and the salesman touted the nav system, but when pressed to show me how to use it he couldn't perform. If there is a learning curve, I'm okay with that. However, after you learn how to use it, is it great, good, poor, or somewhere in between? Thanks in advance.
  • t0677gt0677g Member Posts: 7
    Fully loaded GX with $3K off MSRP is only about $3~4K more than a fully loaded RX330. No wonder I see more GX than RX330 in my neighborhood.
  • triplenet1triplenet1 Member Posts: 4
    I hadn't thought of buying a Nav system until I drove a GX. The salesman knew how to operate it and it worked perfectly. I also looked at Landcruiser, 4Runner, GX, MDX, X5. All said, I thought the GX was the best value and the Toyota Nav system is top notch. Honda seems good also. BMW and MB do not rate highly in reviews, but I never drove one. BMW dealer had 10-12 X5's, but no Navs which told me something.

We took delivery last month of an '04 GX and left on a 3400 mile trip. We relied on the Nav 95% of the time. It makes driving in unfamiliar areas much less stressful and I'm not a wimp about driving in strange places. I also found that we explored areas that we would have never known about, due to the detail of the maps. Not all minor roads have guidance, but you can see your route as you progress and see where you will end up. We confidently took back roads in PA and VT which were not on any maps we had. Also drove around cities using only Nav to explore areas we had not prev seen. When we were thru sight seeing, put in the hotel address and had Nav take us back.

The learning curve is moderate, read the book, watch the CD and get out and use it. The combination of dash buttons and touch screen buttons is a good combination.

I'll never have another main car without Nav, and the quality of the Nav will be a big factor in a buying decision.
  • jrynjryn Member Posts: 18
    You must live in an unusual neighborhood. In August, Toyota/Lexus sold more than 10,000 RX's and fewer than 3,000 GX's.

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/product/2003/09/03-1-toysales.ht- - ml

Sales of both were down in September, with Toyota/Lexus selling about 7,500 RXs and fewer than 2,000 GX's.

http://www.toyota.com/about/news/product/2003/10/01-1-sales.html

With standard feature sets (and typical discounting), the price gap between RX's and GX's substantially exceeds $3000, particularly since the "optional" 3rd row seat on GX's comes on about 98% of them and bumps the price up $2030 all by itself.

There are many reasons to prefer the GX. "Value-pricing" as compared to the RX, though, would be a stretch.
  • emykay21emykay21 Member Posts: 5
    any suggestions on a dealer to buy from near Southern Connecticut?

Also, I would like to wait for the reverse camera, does anyone know when the car will be equipped with the camera?
This discussion has been closed.