Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus GX460 GX470 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hunts1hunts1 Member Posts: 7
    I appreciate all the info I have gathered from this site recently. I am planning to purchase a 2007 GX470 in about 2 months after my Toureg lease ends. (No way I would buy it at lease end).I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. Anyone had any experience with the dealers in this area for this type of purchase? I can always look in Chicago (1 1/2 hrs away) Seems like there are deals out there. The 2 dealerships in my area, however, are both owned by the same people. I am thinking that because of this I will not have much negotiating ability, but who knows. I have never paid much over invoice for a vehicle but have never purchased a lexus. What can I expect in the Milwaukee/ Chicago market regarding pricing relative to invoice. I plan to buy, not lease. I would be willing to buy anywhere in USA and have it shipped but for obvious reasons if I can get it close I would prefer to do so. I have read about the great deals in So. Ca. but wonder about emissions issues and whether this is of significance regarding peformance or maintainance. I don't have a problem with reasonable shipping from reputable dealers if need be. Hope you all can help. I look forward to your advice.

Mike
  • edwardc3000edwardc3000 Member Posts: 30
    sicom007..

Let me begin with an east coast THANK YOU!!

I was sooo turned off by the dealer experience, (and this is from a NEW LEXUS store that opened on 3/1), that I went and drove a BMW X5 today.. Honestly (and we own an 04 325Ci Convertible) and IMHO, there is NO comparison between the two vehicles. The Lexus is just a better riding, comfortable and quiet car, AND when I mentioned that my 01 RX has never, ever, never been back to the dealership (or any repair shop for anything other than maintenance since the day it left the showroom), the reply was "Yeah, they are good that way.."

I hope you get this quickly since I hate my e-mail in a public forum but nevertheless.. my e-mail is phula11231@yahoo.com

I have no issue with the DVD player, it's just that we dont need one..(no small children) but no issues with adding any of the other options you mentioned..

Is there a difference in CA vehicles emissions? I thought the GX was 50 state legal,meaning that they were the same exact vehicle in CA, NY and the other lower 46..? Any problems or extra caution to worry about..?

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully shipped a vehicle from Cali to the east coast too, please.

Thanks Sicom. !

Ed in NJ
  • jackboronjackboron Member Posts: 1
    I am also interested in buying a gx470. Plz send me the dealer contacts on my email is jackboron AT yahoo.com
  • cfa24cfa24 Member Posts: 3
    Sicom

send me the info.

csa24@cableone.net

Thanks
    So I went to 3 other NJ Lexus dealers today..

Not one would consider ANYTHING less than $1K over invoice (and keep in mind that today is the last day of the month)so, if this discussion presents anything close to the $1000-$1500 UNDER invoice, even with another $500 for delivery, it's one heck of a deal..

Looking forward to getting the information suggested above..

Would still like to hear from anyone that has actually taken delivery (other than Sicom007 of course), cause the NJ dealers think I am off my meds..:-)

Thanks
    ED
  • infonutinfonut Member Posts: 9
    Well - I just made a deal with a dealer out of California. I had 4 dealers in So Cal, 2 in Arizona and 1 in Texas looking at what I wanted to buy. It started with 1500 over invoice, then continued to drop. Although I didn't get as good as a deal as others, I am still pleased. I purchased the car at Invoice. I did attempt to at least not pay for TDA, however, the Dealer manager was not having it. I think if I had a bit more time, I would had made it a couple hundred under invoice, but I doubt I would have don't much more than that. They did find me the car I wanted and I didn't have to settle for one on the lot.

This is the car I purchased:
    Cypress Pearl
    Ivory
    NL, TH, TO, DD, E5, Z1 & Tow Equipment

No - I didn't get DVD even though I had 3rd Row.

The Internet Sales rep I worked with, was great...straight forward and better than the others - which is why I stuck with her.

Best deal in Colorado was 3500.00 off MSRP and that was last month, this month, 2 dealers wouldn't even get me 2000.00 off MSRP. Was tired of dealing with them.

Now for shipping. I am going to do some more research. They will ship for $750, but covered. I think I am going to go uncovered and find someone close to $500.00.
  • sicom007sicom007 Member Posts: 46
    Congratulations!!

One way to know if you paid the TDA or not would be to ask the dealer for the actual invoice. Since you have bought from them they should not have any issues in sending you the actual invoice?

BTW which dealer did you buy from (only name please no contact details as per forum rules) and what was the price before TTL?
    edwardc3000

Not because I live in California, but I think if any car passes the emission controls in CA it will be fine in any other State :)

On a serious note I would defer that question to either the dealer or the Lexus themselves.

I know someone from Seattle did order a car from the same dealer (diljit?). Atleast that's what the dealership told me when we picked up up our car. Maybe he can answer.

Not sure if you need any more information from me at this time but please let me know.
    Mike

Please see my reply that I sent to another member. Please ask Lexus if you can buy a car in Calif. and use it in WI.
    mikem15

That is the exact same car that we bought (not leased). The Invoice on the car is $49,030. My price was $48,030 in White color. So they are asking for $300 over invoice.

Thanks
    Sent. Please check your email
  • mitch887mitch887 Member Posts: 2
    Can you send me dealers contact

Thanks
    Mitch,

email; Mitch887@comcast.net
    Actually - They drove the Cypress Pearl down from a dealership 50 miles north. Then I changed my mind on color and wanted the Blizzard Pearl (it has only 10 miles on it). Luckily they had one that matched in equipment on their lot. So I swapped it out today and got things moving again (they even mounted the Tow equipment for me at cost).

Riverside Lexus - The sales women was very nice...and like I said, I really think I could have got a couple more hundred off, but I was down to 3/31 in the evening and felt I was going to lose my barginning power quickly.

And yes, before I even started to talk, she faxed me the Invoice on the car...which matched the invoice prices on NADA. But...broke out the TDA, Dealer Holdback & Whsl. Financial Reserve. Nada invoice base price includes the later minus TDA.

PS: Glendale, Mission Viejo, Santa Monica, Sewell, and Superstition - seemed all very willing to deal. I never called Glendale back, but they were the lowest initially. Best recent quote from my closest Dealer - Stevinson, was $1250 off MSRP...HA!! Oh and my email was buzzing right before quarter end...now not even a "hello". So I was right to close it.

Now - after reading some posts on the Navigation and the restrictions it has while moving, I am beginning to think that was a waste of $$.
    Thanks for the response. I didn't know that you may not be able to buy from one dealer because of a problem living in another state. How does that work? Is there an unwritten (or written rule) with dealerships about whom they can or can't sell to? The 2 dealerships in the Milwaukee area are both owned by the same folks and I anticipate (but don't know) that the deal I would try to work out will not be close to what I have seen on this forum. Any advice on how to proceed? Thanks again.

Mike
    Thanks..

Got your e-mail.

Have sent inquiries out.

Will let everyone know how I make out.

Regards
    ED
    There is no restriction as far as I know. I know someone who bought a car in Nevada and got it shipped to California.

You should be fine. You can buy anywhere and take it to any dealer to get it serviced. Hey if a local dealer cannot give you the best price, he does not deserve your business.

We took our 2 week old car (that was bought elsewhere) to the local dealer as we could not adjust the strap on the third row seat and the sales guy was telling us he could have matched the price (even though we gave him a chance earlier and he flat out refused to ). We had no issues in asking for a service advisor and he helped us out immediately.
    Done. Please check your email
    Sicom007

Not certain what you are saying: "Please ask Lexus if you can buy a car in Calif. and use it in WI."
    I could not find a reply to another member as you indicated or I didn't recognize the context. Can you clarify please? Thanks. Also is KDSS routinely available now in CA?

Mike
  • mitch887mitch887 Member Posts: 2
    Got your e-mail.
    Thanks,
    What I meant is please call Lexus at 1-800-255-3987 and they can answer your question if you can buy a car in one state and use it in another.

Let's say I move to another state next month and I have already purchased the car you think I cannot use the car there?

If KDSS is already available in CA then you can always buy it if you want. The dealer I bought it from said that it was not available at the time I bought (3 weeks back)

is there any other information that you require?
  • ptpptp Member Posts: 1
    i am looking at a GX470 and am asking that the xm satellite radio be installed, probably will lease, want the navigation package but no dvd entertainment center. Will buy white or black vehicle. First price quoted is $50,500 for the cap cost with a .0275 lease factor. Is this a good deal? What is a fair price? I will be leasing with an annual 20000 miles
    Thanks,
    PP
    First of all, I sincerely do appreciate getting the contacts for the Cali based Lexus dealers..

However, my experiences thusfar are summarized as follows

1) Dealer A wants me to FLY to California in order to "earn my business". That's pretty dumb, IMHO.

2) Dealer B never answers a question, only gives me copy and pasted information about the cars she has in stock. Good information, but just doesn't take the time to read my notes (ie, I want ivory interior and she gave me 2 price quotes for gray) or answer my questions "How do we process payment..?" What about collecting sales tax ?" Really EASY questions.

3) I got a third contact from the Club Lexus board who was VERY responsive, but wouldn't deal for less than 1% over invoice (plus the costs of shipping to NJ)

So..again I thank the kind gentlemen that provided the contacts, but for me, it didn't work out..Maybe if you are closer to CA than I am...

Good Luck
    ED
    I just bought for Invoice (Blizzard Pearl - GX470 MSRP 53,969) at a California Dealer. Got the car I wanted (they found it for me). It was a very good transaction - very easy indeed.

That dealer works with Brokers in Colorado, so she was familiar with Shipping and out of state buyers. She sent me the paper work DHL Overnight..I sent back with payment checks/Signatures. She priced Shipping - was the best rate I could find. $500 - not enclosed. So she handled that as well. I just sent a check.

It should be arriving (hoping the weather doesn't slow it down) Saturday. She reiterated that if I see anything wrong with the vehicle that I can send it right back - same shipper, they would handle it.

Sales Tax - because I was shipping out of the state of California - I was required to pay sales tax in my state, (Colorado Sales Tax) and its processed, I believe, when I register the vehicle.

So Far good experience...I will let you know as soon as everything processes.
  • db1234db1234 Member Posts: 1
    infonut and sicom007,

Can you please email me your dealer contact info to david_butts@hotmail.com?

Thanks for all the helpful info.
    Can you send me the contact info as well? Any dealer prep. or advertising fees or is it just simply invoice?

I contacted Fleetrates.com at the recommendation of another forum. They could go $1500 over invoice, this without any negotiation on my part. I was simply doing some preliminary work anddid not try to negotiate a better deal. I am not buying for another month or 2. They stated that all Lexus dealers charge $790 dealer prep but they would waive that through Fleetrates.com. I am not sure if this is true or not. Additional shipping charge would apply but that will be an issue from anyone whom I would have ship to me. I coud get it within a week if it is in stock at any number of dealers they work with.

Anyone out there have any info on this dealer prep issue? Seems like a bogus charge to increase dealer profit.

Good job by the way on your deal.

Mike
    mnordst344@aol.com
  • identiflyeridentiflyer Member Posts: 2
    Hi Infonut,

Can you please email me the contact email of the lady you bought from, to pmarella AT hotmail.com

Thanks in Advance.
    All,

I don't think the sales person I worked with is going to provide the same deal or better out of the gate. This person wasn't a manager and the other 3 people on the internet sales team could help just as well. Riverside Lexus treated me well, the car came quickly and I was happy. If you send them an email telling them what you want and what you want to pay for it (through the Lexus site), they will give you their best price. If you want to try and get closer or under invoice it is about timing and your bargaining power. I only got them to move under their initial price because it was end of 3rd quarter and I had other dealers willing to do a better deal. The more dealers you email, the better you will be.

Invoice price on NADA (and other sites) include Dealer Holdback and Wholesale Financial Reserve. It doesn't include TDA. Dealer Prep is usually an added fee from the dealer and most sites suggest that you don't pay for it. I didn't pay dealer prep for my car, but I did pay TDA & the other two costs included in Invoice price. Dealers are able to sell under invoice because they have the combination of those 3 to work with, however, I do belive it is an unusual situation and not one dealer is going to continue to sell their cars under invoice (again why I don't think me providing my sales person info to 5 people will work the way everyone thinks).

If I talk to them again - I will ask them and get back to you all.

PS: If you are far from California (i.e. East Coast), get shipping prices first.
  • leoyleoy Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Can you please email me the contact of SoCal dealer that gives good deal on GX ?

Thank you.

kcyangusa@gmail.com
  • r9973r9973 Member Posts: 14
    infonut and sicom007,

Can you please email me the contact info for the SoCal dealer?

Thanks
    r9973

r9973@yahoo.com
    I am about to pull the trigger on what I believe is a super deal. MSRP = $53,560 which includes $715 dest
    Base vehicle, Nav/ML, 3rd row seat w AC, rear spoiler, pref acc package, all weather mats, tow prep package. $47,200 which is invoice + $500, NJ Sales tax, tire tax, doc fees are extra. I can tell you that I priced the car EVERYWHERE as I wanted it configured (which is basically everything except the rear entertainment dvd), and this was the absolute best deal I could find within 500 mile driving distance of central NJ.

If you PM me or e-mail me at phula11231 AT yahoo.com, I can point you to a NJ dealer who will provide you a great deal.

In fact, if you are ready to go NOW (and I do mean now), we can probably buy BOTH yours and mine and get a few extras thrown in. If you arent quite ready, I'll still give you my contact..but it would be mighty sweet to offer to buy TWO GX's (heck maybe more), and squeeze a little more..

BTW, I contacted the west coast dealers, and, as I reported earlier, they were not cooperative for me. One even wanted me to fly to Cali, just to process the paperwork (welcome to the new millenium).

I am NOT a car dealer, related to a car dealer, or anything else. Not a shill, and no hanky panky. I appreciate the opportunity to give back to Edmunds and the community here, who have helped me in the past.

ED in Metuchen, NJ

PS. Although one Cali Lexus dealer did offer "at invoice" price, the cost of shipping the car ($500 or more), made the deal a wash compared to what I was able to negotiate.
  • maroonboymaroonboy Member Posts: 3
    just curious. Colorado is less friendly than most. Worse comes to worse I would be willing to ship from Cali if that's best. As i recall someone did get it shipped from Cali to Colorado @ invoice. I would be happy to give that dealer more business if someone would post the name of the dealership.
    Thanks.
    To Maroonboy and others...I purchased out of California and shipped to Colorado (my experience was great). I purchased at invoice - then paid $500 for shipping - so basically getting the same deal as Edwardc3000.

My dealer is Lexus of Riverside. I talked to my internet sales person, he/she doesn't have an issue talking to others interested so I will email that person's name. This is what was said though,"pricing changes from model to model and is based on Inventory and the availability of the color and equipment someone wants." Again - I got my deal end of quarter.
  • gcheck1gcheck1 Member Posts: 1
    Do you have the contact for buying a GX, best deal out of state?
    gcheck
  • maroonboymaroonboy Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help. Colorado dealer I just spoke to was of no help. At least he was honest, no way he would match someone out of state.

Have you already taken delivery of the car? Any issue with the shipping or was it smooth as well?
  • mrdavidsonmrdavidson Member Posts: 1
    Looking to lease the GX 470 for 36 months. Credit score is A+ and would like some info on lease payments, residuals, money factors, etc. The dealer wants $740 / mo for 36 months with no money down for a GX 470 with Mark Levinson nav, 3rd row seats, and tow package. Any body have recent lease experience with this SUV. Thanks.
    Yes - got the car early April. Very smooth. Colorado dealers (all 4 of them) were a waste of time...as I noted in a previous post, best deal was 1250.00 off MSRP (they were nice about it though). I can't say all out of state deals go this well, but mine did (see my past posts - for the details). The shipper was even pleasant - and quick. Also - I don't recommend out of state for people who really want hands on experience. The whole deal was Phone calls, DHL Overnight Letters and Email. The car is brand new - and given our internet age - why not.

PS: I would guess that most of the Auto Brokers in Colorado deal with the Lexus Dealers on the west cost. My sales person stated as such. They was used to shipping to Colorado.
  • franklutherfrankluther Member Posts: 1
    Last December, we ordered a 2007 GX 470 with ML/Navigation, Lexus Link, Rear Entertainment System, Satellite Radio except we did not a third row seat. The price was not great at $2000 over invoice, but much better than the local Memphis dealer and far less attitude. We placed a $2000 deposit and received confirmation from the Internet sales person. We were told that it would take 120 days for the SUV to arrive. In late January, we were told that we could not get the rear entertainment system unless we got the third row according to the Japanese production facility. So we told them to continue with the order without the rear entertainment system. In late March, I contacted my sales guy to get an update on delivery. We were hoping that it would arrive early. He confirmed that everything was fine with the order. During the third week of April, I called again to coordinate my trip to the city to pick up the car. He did not return my phone calls for two days. On the third day, the sales manager called and said that the order was never submitted. He was rather nonchalant about it. He offered no other explanation as to how this could happen and offered to return my deposit or reorder another SUV. He offered no other concessions.

I am not much on conspiracy theories. The salesperson had multiple times to correct the situation. Why didn't he? Why did the Japanese production facility send the order change if the order was never submitted? I think they sold the SUV to someone else that saw the vehicle in the store for a higher price. Maybe someone like us, who did not want the third row. I don't believe the sales guy was that incompetent or blatantly lied over and over when we exchanged messages by saying that everything was fine on multiple occasions. He was promoted during this time and is still with the dealership, but I have not been able to reach him.

We are angry and frustrated with the prospect of waiting until October for the SUV. We like the SUV, but don't care much for the front-end people. And we don't want to pay $50K and not get exactly what we want. Any suggestions for finding out what really happened? Do we have any recourse? I have been contemplating writing Lexus of North America to complain. Any suggestions are welcome. Thakns.
  • cmh1085cmh1085 Member Posts: 1
    DOes that price include taxes? The best price I can get is 47500 for the MSRP of 53561. I think I can do better. That equates to about 780 per month.
  • sschooleysschooley Member Posts: 1
    We just traded our 03GX 470 for an 07. The primary reason driven by Lexus discontinuation of our "Lexus Link" (Lexus version of GM's "On-Star system) 03 models were analog. Lexus now wants to use only digital communications and will stop servicing analog systems at year end. We received an apology and coupon for $900 (invoice price) to place a digital Lexus Link system in any new Lexus car purchase. Due to medical and security reasons I won't put my wife in a car without this type of system and she truely loves the GX.

We just picked up the 07 with the following features:
    P7-XM radio; M7-Lexus Link; TH-3rd row seats/rear AC; NL-nav/ MarkLev syst; RI-Enhanced Ent.; DD-spoiler; E5 exhaust tips; Z2-accessories; TO-tow hitch ball; DH-tow prep; and a gold letter package. Black exterior with tan interior. Total sticker price was $57,005.00.

Invoice was $49,693.00. We got for $500.00 over invoice at $50,193.00 plus the Lexus dealer fee ($599.95) and tax, tag, etc. My "out the door" cost total (includes everything with taxes) was $54,049.42 before the $900 coupon or trade of the 03.

Our old 03GX is available and posted at: This link If you need more information just contact us.

Discussed getting the KDSS system but I was told it would require a factory order and at least 120 days. This particular vehicle was already on the boat to Florida and the dealer agreed to obtain it prior to docking in Jacksonville.

The 07 is just terrific. Lexus somehow managed to improve an already extraordinary car. Highly recommend!

Good luck with your own searches. We hope this is helpful.
  • vnh84vnh84 Member Posts: 10
    Hi sicom007,

Could you email me the contact information of the dealership where you purchased your GX470 at? My email address is vnh84 AT yahoo DOT com.

Thanks a lot!
  • v2007v2007 Member Posts: 2
    Does any one have GX 470 buying experience from Jim Hudson Lexus in Augusta, GA area?
    How did this work out for you and Woodfield Lexus? I assume it was a smoooth transaction. I am thinking of contacting them to work out a deal on a lease. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Mike
  • nhaydonnhaydon Member Posts: 2
    Woodfield was great. I live down here in St. Louis and had the car shipped here for $275. Joe Janicki is the fleet manager I dealt with and would recommend talking to him. He was great.

Sadly 5 days after we got the car we were involved in an accident. The damage didnt look that bad but the frame was bent. After alot of haggling I got the insurance company to total the car and we ended up getting the same car, same deal from Mungenast Lexus here in St. Louis.
    Gopherhockey1'

I am wondering how you made out re: GX 470 in Chicago. Did that work out well for you? I am about to look there myself.

Mike
  • cdfwifecdfwife Member Posts: 37
    I am getting ready to trade or sell my 2006. For those of you in CA, are you seeing a lot of inventory right now? I am trying to figure out if I should even attempt to sell or just trade. When I originally got mine, Crown Lexus had a decent inventory, and sold to me at invoice. Any really good deals out there right now?
  • khu1khu1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello sicom007,

Could you please email me the contact information? I visited the Lexus of Riverside web site but there are three ladies in the Internet Department. My email address is khu AT superzone DOT com.

Thanks a lot!

Kev in Dallas, TX
  • v2007v2007 Member Posts: 2
    Zero'ed the deal with Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte NC.
    Navigation, Mark Levinson Surround Sound System, Third Row seat, rear wind deflector, tow hitch, tow package, the preferred accessory package for $49,800 + 399 doc fee + tax title. Over all nice experience and sales people are nice and friendly.
  • sangria3000sangria3000 Member Posts: 1
    Hi sicom007 and everybody,

Could you please email me your Lexus dealer contact information ?

Did anybody in Texas successfully buy GX from out-of-state dealers ?

My email address is sangria3000@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot!

Anthony in Houston, TX
  • rbanderbande Member Posts: 7
    Could you send me the Dealer details at branga@yahoo.com
    I am in Austin, TX. tried $1500 over invoice, didn't work. Also tried North Cali, shipping was 1500$ didn't work either.
    I know you didnt ask me, but I just sent you my dealer contact infor for my Lexus dealer in NJ.

ED in Metuchen