Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Re-Painting a BMW

roxy2861roxy2861 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in BMW
I have a white 1999 BMW 323..I want to get it painted black, price isn't an issue because I want it to look just like factory paint. Does anyone know anywhere in Utah that I can get this done, and about how much it would be? Also, is it a truly bad idea to repaint a BMW?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well it's not a bad idea in principle but your color scheme is a really bad idea. Unless you strip off every inch of white paint outside AND inside (engine compartment, trunk, door jambs), which will cost you a rather substantial fortune---if you don't strip the paint, and just cover white with black, you can imagine what your car will look like after the first 20 tiny paint chips. It's going to look like a faux-granite kitchen counter top.

I would respectfully recommend you give this idea up completely for the above-named reasons.

If you wanted a same color paint job done to factory quality, I'd guess (depending on where you live) that $5,000 to $7500 would be required, as this must include removing all glass and trim.

Paint likes to "wrap" around surfaces for binding. Taped paint jobs are prone to flaking and chipping where the tape cuts the paint off.
  • Options
    jim1395jim1395 Member Posts: 34
    don't do it! you'll ruin the car. if you really need black i'd sell yours and buy a black one. the money you would have used on the paint job may get you a model year or two newer.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    with all due respect, i'm actually quite excited by your comparison to faux granite kitchen counter tops... maybe i'll buy a cheap white car and do an un-stripped black on it just to make it look cool, cuz i love granite tops... in the kitchen of course...

just kidding
    ksso
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well you could do an "art car", sure why not, but I don't think I'd pick a car of this value for that level of enjoyment and frivolity.
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    that will really make a conversation piece, all your neighbors will be talking about you LOL ;)
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    after doing that pieces of marble..., i'll be "branded" hahaha
This discussion has been closed.