Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gekko2gekko2 Member Posts: 87
    2002 ES CPO for $27K down from $30K listed?

I just went on your dealer's site (Lehigh Valley Lexus) and you have 02's with teen mileage listed at $32,500. I hope these have Nav/ML??

BUT - you also have an 02 with almost 37k miles listed at $33,900 so maybe this one has ML/NAV and the others don't?? Since you conveniently don't list options on the CPOs it makes it difficult to compare apples to apples and be an intelligent consumer. But I guess you guys don't want intelligent consumers - just like the real estate business you want them as dumb as possible - The dumber the better!
  • jragostajragosta Member Posts: 26
    I'm not aware of any way to get the CarBargains price without paying.

However, CarBargains does the same thing that AAA, Sam's Club, and Autobytel do. They negotiate with the dealer for the lowest markup.

Therefore, if you get a price from Autobytel or Sam's Club for a similar geographic area, that might tell you approximately what Carbargains will be in your area.

NBC Today had good things to say:
    http://www.checkbook.org/auto/todayshow.cfm

Of course, your mileage may vary.
  • rbrrbr Member Posts: 113
    I think that's what LehighLexus is implying -- just the starting point in a negotiation. I agree the the pricing seems on the very high side, but I dont sense any devious motivation.

On the other hand, listing legitimate lower prices might actually get more people in to look at the cars -- I suspect its a bit of a turn-off to someone shopping on the web to see prices that are almost equal to new cars.
  • lehighlexuslehighlexus Member Posts: 94
    The 33,900 one does have nav/ml. The others do not. Although I enjoy the personal shot about yet another way we salesmen are "dark and deceiving", that is not the reason why it is not listed. We use outside companies to label our windows and run our websites. For them, it's alot easier to put on generic stickers than to list everything. And also the fact that by looking in the vehicle it is hard to miss the nav system. And I was using the last person's numbers as an example. rbr had it exactly. The prices are not set in stone. But the price of the vehicle is usually higher than what you would find used car retail to be on the internet because of them being CPO. 3years/100k mile warr. included
    It ends today, but you could get 1.9% financing on CPO ES300's but not on new. Makes a difference if you are financing, but not cash buyers
    $27-$28K is a long way from $32,500.
    I see that is the case (about the 1.9% CPO offer ending today) but I cant imagine the deals getting worse in the Nov. -- Dec. time frame. Dont they usually get better to entice buyers into the showroom?

Hopefully it is close enough to the subject of this discussion, if lehighlexus is willing to do it, to have him comment on what factory programs will be made available in November on new/used ES 300s and 330s.
    Lexus will have another program in effect this month. And then they always have December to remember with possible lower APR on new. I am not sure, but that is what I think they might do.
    And I never said WE sold our cars for $32-$33k new. For lack of argument, which I guess did not happen, I used your $32-$33k for a new one. The difference will be roughly $5k. I'm not looking to argue, but if you think that is too much, go new. Although, if you are interested in Lexus, it should be a good thing to look at the prices of used to see that you don't get nailed with huge depreciation.
    Which will be in the next couple days, I'll keep you informed
    That the current CPO prices may be a bit higher than normal to reflect the current lower APR?

Lehighlexus, thanks for the offer on posting the new program when its available. "November to remember" would be nice. :>)
  • luegoluego Member Posts: 13
    I am with rbr. Thanks for providing us current and forthcoming LEXUS programs. It certainly will make one a smarter buyer.
    Also, the current CPO prices are not bolstered because of the special APR, although it may seem that way. I know, as far as we are concerned, we go by what the vehicles are doing at our local auctions right now when we assess trade values. And the market has become very strong for ES's and RX's, so that is the reason why they are priced that way. Our prices pretty much follow the local market.
  • babs43babs43 Member Posts: 13
    I'm was told by my local dealer to purchase my ES330 until the "December to Remember" program. At the time he said he didn't know what the details would be on the percentage rates to BUY a car. Do you know what the rates will be? And when the "December to Remember" program actually starts? Thanks! Also, got a price on a loaded 2004 ES 330 with Navi/ML for $35,000 and change. Can I do better?
    They usually don't give us the new programs until the first few days of the month. It will most likely start on the 1st and run through the new year. And that is a good price on the ES ($2000+ off)
  • babs43babs43 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the response! I'm going to wait the next few weeks to see what Lexus offers in December on financing.
  • catokocatoko Member Posts: 5
    My local dealer is offering me $32,500 with the premium package. Alternatively, they are offering $35,800 with the Nav.Pack. Are these good prices?
  • dbgindydbgindy Member Posts: 351
    Are you referring to a Lexus ES300/ES330? I'm assuming that since you also posted this on the Lexus board. The informed ones who visit these boards will need that info. :-)

Duncan
  • dacstldacstl Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2004 ES330 with ML/NAV using the CarBargains service to negotiate my deal. I received bids from six different dealerships located in the midwest(MO,IL,IA,IN). They ranged from $1,000 to $2,500 below sticker price - regardless of the options on the vehicle. Fortunately, the low bid came from a dealership within ten miles of my house, so I paid $2,500 under list for the ML/NAV configuration. However, I could have also purchased the ES330 without those options for the same discount.
    I cannot recommend CarBargains highly enough for buyers who hate to haggle/negotiate with salesmen. The entire process was hassle-free; and as a first time Lexus owner, I'm sold on the company's service oriented culture. My dealership traded vehicles with a dealer in Kentucky - meeting the transport truck at a gas station on the highway to swap cars. Otherwise, I would have had to wait for delivery an entire month, rather than only one week after purchase. Also, on the day I took possession of the car, my salesman picked me up at home so I wouldn't have to find a ride to the dealership. Little things perhaps, but this type of service keeps customers coming back again and again. Overall, I couldn't be more pleased.
    A couple of final words about CarBargains - the ML/NAV option is considered to be a different model, so it cost an additional $20 to get bids on the ES330 with/without these features. Finally, all of the CarBargains literature speaks of negotiating selling prices based on invoice figures. None of the six dealerships bid this way - all discounts were reductions from list.
    I'd like to buy a Lexus ES 330. My local dealer is offering me $32,500 with the premium package. Alternatively, they are offering $35,800 with the Nav.Pack. Are these good prices?
    I'd like to buy a Lexus ES 330. My local dealer is offering me $32,500 with the premium package. Alternatively, they are offering $35,800 with the Nav.Pack. Are these good prices?
  • lexusrocklexusrock Member Posts: 74
    for nav/ml model? How much is that actually?

Always amazed why dealers have such wide range of quotes on prices. But you got four states covered(!). Must be local supply and demand. Do you have to pay $200 to CarBargains first to get all the quotes?
    The actual purchase price for a fully loaded ES330 with NAV/ML was $35,579, which included a $145 documentation fee. There were no other added expenses of any kind.
    $35,579 includes tax/license and all that (out of door) or just the doc fees and then plus tax/lic?
    Does it come with VSC and AVS. If it does you are getting $3000 off sticker!! Did they quote you that price to begin with?

So CarBargains did not charge you anything to get all these quotes?
    The tax/license "out of door" fees are over and above what I quoted as the price. Since they are paid to the state license agency, I really don't consider them to be part of the sale price. The vehicle that I purchased contains VSC ($650), but it does not have the AVS option. Once again, there was no price actually quoted to me at the time that I ordered the vehicle. When the dealer was able to locate a car that met all of my mandatory specifications, I had the option of accepting or rejecting that particular vehicle - which may have contained any combination of additional options. (I believe that AVS and adjustable foot pedals are the only add-ons that my car does not contain.) Regardless of the configuration of options, I was guaranteed $2,500 off of the sticker price. So, I could have purchased a $32,000 bare bones ES330 or the $38,000 top of the line model and the discount would have been the same. The only way to get just the options that are important to you is to special order. Finally, CarBargains did charge me to solicit these quotes. Their base price is $190.00 for one model and $20 for each additional model. For their quotation purposes, the ES330 with and without ML/NAV are considered to be two separate Lexus models.
    At which point was that guarantee of $2,500 off of the sticker price made by CarBargains for your ES? They simply said for ES we can make that happen (find a dealer for you for that price) if you pay your $190 fee? Or you have to pay the fees first and find out how well they can do?
    CarBargains guarantees to find you at least five dealerships that will bid for your business. The discounts quoted are generally valid for a month. Obviously, they solicit the bids from dealers in relatively close proximity to your location. Since only major cities - like Chicago - have more than one or two Lexus dealerships, the bids could span a fairly wide area (e.g. 250 miles). There is no guarantee up front that they will find a dealer willing to discount your purchase by a specific amount. So, you pay your money and hope for the best. However, if you are a good negotiator, knowledge is power. The information posted in this discussion group gives you hard evidence that buyers are actually purchasing these vehicles for specific prices. My salesman told me that most dealerships have sales staff who are dedicated to internet pricing inquiries. You can request bids from specific dealerships through the Lexus web site. By using that information as a starting point, paired with the pricing information obtained from this forum, you may be able to negotiate a more substantial discount and avoid paying the fees to a buying service like CarBargains.
  • dubedube Member Posts: 2
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    1. What area of the country is this dealer offering you these deals
    2. How low are the prices from MSRP.

If the prices are a couple of grand off MSRP, then it sounds about as good a deal as people are negotiating here.

Finally, what do you think of the dealership? Do they give loaners for when your car is in service? If it is a great dealership, it might be worth paying a little more for a car than from a dealership that has poor service. IMHO
  • jeff5302jeff5302 Member Posts: 15
    In my opinion, as the owner of a new ES330, I think you would be absolutely crazy to buy an 02 if you have sufficient funding for an 04 ES330 (which appears to be possible from your postings). While the two look essentially alike, apart from badging, there are two critical differences. The new engine gives the 330 more pep than the 02, and hopefully the changes to the transmission mean that the 02/03 transmission problems have been solved. Apart from that, while the certified warranty goes to 100,000, you will likely be closer to a major service and new tires and battery in a used car. Good luck in your decision. I purchased my "basic" 330 for about $32,500. Its probably not the best deal, but it was a good enough deal. While the big sale is in December, it was worth a little money to me to buy the car on October 1 (spillover negotiations from Sept. 30) so that I could enjoy driving the car while the leaves are turning in the Washington, D.C. area. Again, best of luck.
    Thanks for the info and advice! I live in Northern Virginia, in the DC Metro area. I'm having a hard time determining the MSRP because the quote of $32,500 was, according to the sales person, for the "premium package," but he also mentioned that things such as skid control and wood steering wheel were part of that package. It struck me as odd since according to Edmunds.com they are sold separately. I will look closer to the MSRP once I know exactly what's in the car (got the quote via internet). And the advice on the car dealership, it's very true as well. I currently own a MB C240 (2002) and love that dealership. Quality of service do make a tremendous difference.

Thanks again! Catoko
    I also live in the DC Metro area. Was wondering two things. First, whether your car has the "premium package" or not. By "basic" you meant no upgrades at all. Also, who did you buy from. I'm from Northern Virginia and commute to DC every day. Please let me know. Thanks. Catoko
    jeff5302 - thanks for your advice. Since I'll be paying lump sum cash, a $5-7K difference is a big deal to me if I can get it. When you have to write the big check it really gives you perspective. However, I don't mind biting the bullet and paying a couple of grand extra to get the new 2004. Part of me wants to just save the $30K+ and keep driving my old reliable 95 ES with 130k miles into the ground.
  • jim040558jim040558 Member Posts: 14
    It's amazing to me that there arwe so few actually doing it.

I just ordered a FULLY loaded ES 330. I got about $4000 off the MSRP. When I say fully loaded, I mean it. MSRP of $41,000 includes chrome wheels, gold package, NAV/Levinson, adjustable pedals, adjustable suspension etc. I have been told that I have every option Lexus offers on this car.

Do you all think I got a good deal? The dealership is known for their extraordinary service and great treatment.

The only downside is that I have to wait for the factory to build it, which takes 12-16 weeks because of the Christmas break (I'm told the Japanese have one). In my cas it's great, because I have more time to save and pay cash for the car.
    You may have hit your own best solution. Drive your 95 for a few more months in order to save the money to get the 04. I'm not a Lexus "plant," but I guarantee you'll enjoy the difference. My wife test drove the 02 when it came out. I expected her to come back with a newly purchased car. She wouldn't even consider it. Obviously not the same since I bought the 04 (and am pleased with it). You will also benefit at resale time. There are "300s" dating back to 92. The "330" moniker only comes into place this year, and places a bright line distinction that this is an improved car, even if it looks the same as the 02. Best of luck with your decision, either way.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    If you are not having any troubles with your '95, keep it a little while longer. I am guessing you paid a decent amount for the 100K service, and just need basic service for the 30K and 60K intervals. After you hit the 150K interval, then you might start to worry.

BTW, have you replaced your suspension struts yet or are they still fine? Just curious.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks I need to ask you again to be mindful of the topic.

Finally someone has posted a message that belongs here, and no one has even responded to it.

The reason this discussion exists is so that folks have a logical place to easily look up the prices that people have paid for either of these vehicles and to read about what experiences they had in the purchase process. No one can find messages about prices paid when they are surrounded by pages of messages that have nothing to do with a purchase price.

The process of deciding what to buy belongs in more general topics - either vehicle specific discussions, comparison discussions, discussions about shopping, etc.

Again - please use the search features on the left side of the page to find appropriate discussions for these off-topic threads of conversation. Also, you will find some appropriate links in this post: pat Oct 24, 2003 2:45pm.

Does someone care to comment on the deal reported by jim040558 Nov 6, 2003 11:16pm?
    The host's admonitions seem to be falling on deaf ears. Can they be moved or deleted?

It is frustrating to have to wade through all the junk to get to one germane post. I had hoped that my post on my purchase price would stimulate some discussion and be helpful to others.
    The best answer I can offer is that it is in line or slightly better than others claim to have gotten. One of the options you included -- gold package -- is notorious for huge markups. My personal goal is to get within 3-5% of the invoice price, and its sounds like you did pretty well in that regard.
    By the way, except for the last few posts, I respecfully object to the characterization of posts as junk. They may have strayed a bit from a strict discussion of "what I paid," but they were financial in nature and could assist soemone trying to make a financial decision on a fair price for this car. We risk scaring people away if they get admonished for theoretically off-topic, but otherwise related posts. For instance, I am hoping lehighlexus, who is a salesperson at a lexus dealership, will post information about factory incentives on the ES 330 shortly. That's not precisely price information, but certainly of interest to potential shoppers. Thanks for listening.
    But lehighlexus posts are not really what I'm talking about. Posting repair issues/concerns is some of the stuff that is extraneous, and should be on a different thread. That is the "junk" I am referring to, and even the mods are frustrated and have remarked about it. Posts about incentives I want to read too, as they do relate to pricing.

I'm with you by the way, regarding my price. I don't think I knocked down the house, but getting everything I want on a car ordered from the factory with almost a 10% discount made me feel like I got at least a very good price. The dealer, Superior Lexus, is reputed to be the best car dealership in terms of service in town. Some friends of mine own an ES 300 and they rave about the service and treatment they get.

Thanks for your comments.
    Information on factory incentives for the ES 330 would be a welcome addition to our Lexus ES 330 discussion. There may also be very appropriate discussions on our Smart Shopper board for that information.

This is supposed to be a list of messages where folks share the prices they paid and their buying experiences and others share thoughts about those prices and experiences.

I'll be happy to continue any further conversation via email about what is appropriate or not in this particular discussion and what other resources exist for the wide range of thoughts we all have about buying, selling and maintaining any particular vehicle.

Thanks.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    First of all, the pricing topic is only of interest to a very small number of folks at a given time. Once you have bought the car, you don't tend to comment on or care so much about price. Secondly, it is difficult to compare all the apples and oranges of price because geographical areas differ not only in base price but in standard options and packages. And then there are the inaccuracies of the posts. Folks don't know the difference between MSRP, sticker, and invoice. They don't know all that a qouted price includes.

For the scores of posters who have bought cars in the past, well, their information is obsolete even if they could remember the details of their purchases, so new potential buyers are not likely to benefit from their experience.

All I am saying is that it is not only because folks are discussing unrelated topics that posts on pricing topics are limited, but also for the reasons I cite above. There is only a very small pool of posters who can help a potential buyer determine a good price and the liklihood of a satisfactory answer to one's questions on price is low, in my opinion.
    Is in the past tense. Is this room for prospective buyers or for ones that have already purchased a car? If it is the first, I believe my input is credited in this room. I can offer assistance to get a better deal, etc. And I apologize if you believe my posts were off the mark
    I appreciate your comments and for the other comments others do as well -- possibly you could post those November incentives on the ES 330 discussion if you are still willing to do so.
    They will be over there now
    I must sincerely disagree with you, in that I feel that bottom line price is not the only relevant factor in making in purchase decision. You can see that in my postings on this board, and I feel that they are relevant to the topic, and hopefully helpful to the people I addressed. That having been said, I am quite respectful and grateful for your attempts to monitor the board, which can be a thankless task. Finally, why is it taking our good friend lehighlexus so long to give us the link to Lexus incentives? I already have my ES330, but I like to keep up and I find the information interesting (for instance I was blown away by the incentives Chrysler was offering on Sunday for the Pacifica, Grand Cherokee and other msc. big cars...not enough to buy one, but).

Thanks, Jeff
    Lehighlexus posted the information you are looking for on the general ES330 discussion topic. Based on Pat's admonition, I dont think he wanted to post it here for fear of it being deleted.
    Jeff, I agree that price is far from the only factor in making a decision. If you will check out the links I have given, you'll find lots of places appropriate for overall discussion about buying decisions, maintenance decisions, etc.

All of our Prices Paid discussions were created for the specific purpose I keep trying to explain. It is supposed to be an easy place for our members to find prices that others have paid for a vehicle of interest. They are not the general, free-wheeling, anything-goes discussions that we have elsewhere.

All of this back and forth about the purpose of this particular discussion isn't helping anyone find prices paid, either. ;-)

As I said - anyone who has further comments to make is free to email me. And if I can help you find anything, I'll be glad to do so.

Thanks for letting this discussion get back on track.

Pat
  • arungarung Member Posts: 8
    I recently bought my lexus ES 330 for a little less than 32000 without taxes with the premium pak.
    MSRP was 35134.
    I have loved it from day one for its lux/smooth/quietness.
    I can't compare it with my previous Camry.
    It is a class apart
  • boater99boater99 Member Posts: 2
    I am close to purchasing and see there is an approximate spread of $4500 including destination charge. It appears ARUNG got a heck of a deal at $3500 off.
    In the Seattle area, they are quoting 2800 over invoice. This even includes the Costco program which I think would be competitive.
    I am waiting till December to see if things get better. The loaded cars seem to be in short supply at this time.
    Any comments?
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I checked on the CarsDirect website, and used a 91311 zipcode for northern Los Angeles. The 04 ES330 is offered at $1,000 over invoice. If you don't care to travel to Los Angeles, perhaps you could get the car shipped to Seattle. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.