Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I ended up paying $1000 over invoice for my 06 ES330. All the ab/fab stories aside, $3k off sticker suits me well enough for a great car a month+ into the new model year. I considered a few other cars. Nothing came close that didn't list for $10k more. The ES is a bargain at MSRP let alone $3k off list. Not too much more than a fancy Toyota and all the untouchable service to boot. I've owned two and their service is unbelievable. Love my Lexus.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    Thanks.
    Well, I agree with most of what you say except that an ES330 is worth MSRP. It may be worth MSRP to an individual purchaser, but that purchaser would be paying $3500 - $3800 more than most others have paid for the same car. (this assumes that Edmund's posters are providing truthful and accurate deals.) Market value is the key issue as to what the car is worth.

Edmund's TMV is probably a good indicator. The problem with using it on this thread is that posters barely take the time to compare the simple MSRP on quotes. Asking them to run an Edmund's TMV on all their quotes would be 'way too much to ask. Ditto for invoice.

Based upon what I have seen over the past two years, there is no way I'd pay MSRP for an end of cycle body style where the new one will be out in a few months.
  • cjr1cjr1 Member Posts: 1
    Tell me what problems you had with the transmission. I can't find a reference. I also bought one and the shifting is not smooth and often has a "clunk." What about pickup when you accelerate?

Thanks
    CJR
  • hunter14hunter14 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 Lexus ES 330, do I need an extended warranty? Don't these cars run well, has anyone else needed an extended warranty for a Lexus??
    Thanks
  • cyclonegarycyclonegary Member Posts: 2
    An ES330 sticker price of $38360 if available at even 90% of MSRP would be around $34,500. Yet here in central Iowa the Des Moine's Lexus dealer (after 2 visits there) says $37000 is his lowest dollar. Superior Lexus in Kansas City is saying $36000. Both are considerably above the 34500 number. I wonder why?
  • cyclonegarycyclonegary Member Posts: 2
    Well, it is all a matter of supply and demand.

I suppose that Edmund's TMV might be a realistic price because it is based on actual sales.

Perhaps the dealers are not receiving as many as in the past. And they fear people will not like the new design while they have a shortage of 2006s.

So, if you really like the car, get it any price because it may be your last opportunity to get this current body style in a new car.

If you are really concerned about price, join Sam's Club and ask the folks at Sam's what the story is. They will give you a good scoop.

After all, when this body style was new in 2002, cars were going for 95% MSRP.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I wasn't suggesting anyone pay MSRP for a new Lexus. The Lexus I just purchased was for my 80 year old mother-in-law. She drove Cadillacs forever and was looking for a luxo-ride with all the bells and whistles. The other cars we shopped with similar content . . . a big Buick, full-sized Cadillac, and a Town Car. All those cars had an MSRP between $43k and $46k (never mind the discounts and rebates). By comparison the '06 ES330 listed for $35k+. The ES had every bell and whistle as the others, and the only important difference I could see was the smaller size of the Lexus (a plus for her these days).
    Tell me a Town Car for $44k is dumb, I'll agree. . . but a ES330 @ $35k+ with exactly the same content is not bad even at MSRP. For $32,400 ($1000 over invoice) it's a bargain. My point is that these cars are cheap and their MSRP's are not artificially inflated as are the American brands.
  • rdannrdann Member Posts: 2
    Just bought 2006 Lexus ES330 MSRP $39,694 for $34,200. This was my first Lexus buying experience. Dealer did not want to give any extras for free, but the price was good. Thanks to all of you on this board! It helps a lot!
    Region So. CA.

The interior is cashemire. Nice, but will be hard to keep clean, so thinking if there are any nice all weather mats for this car? Any information on this will be appreciated!
  • dougoutdougout Member Posts: 1
    Probably because Superior is the only Lexus dealer in the Kansas City Area.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    If you go to the Engine Hesitation forum "Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)" here at Edmunds you will find discussion of the transmission issues in Toyota/Lexus models. Also do a google search for transmission hesitation. Toyota has issued several Technical Service Bulletins on the issue.
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    For those that posted on this issue, there is a TSB and I posted my results some time ago.
    In any event, I felt my tranny was "lazy" in downshifting. i.e., come to stop sign, quick stop and then go. Tranny seemed to take an inordinate amount of time to hunt the lower gears resulting in a jack rabbit start after above stop sign scenerio It seemed the tranny was going down from 4th to 3rd, to 2nd S-L-O-W-L-Y and was still hunting for 1st gear when I accelerated resulting in the jerking sensation when it finally grabbed first gear.
    No biggy, but certainly annoying.
    Last oil change I mentioned the TSB and they did the reprogramming and it made a WORLD of difference. No more hesitation.
    My advise, "GET 'ER DONE."
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What do you think about a 2005 ES330 demo with 1600 miles? I have not received a price yet but I am a little leary about purchasing a demo. I wonder what kind of treatment it has received over 1600 miles ?? Ordinarily 1600 miles is really "nothing" but I think a demo might be a little different. What do you think? What kind of price break should I get? The MSRP of it is 35,619.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    A demo car is basically a used car hence the price would be considerably less than a new car. You didn't mention if the car is basic or fully loaded. I think the base version shouldn't be more than 30K and the loaded version more than 33K. Remember you are getting a year old slightly used car.
  • great2great2 Member Posts: 8
    i have 04 ES330 with 19000 miles on it. all services are performed by the lexus dealer...... told service rep. at the dealership about tread problem at 10000 and 15000 service. I was told it's normal...... but all four tires to have zero tread left at the outside edge. I thought PAX tires were bad.....even they last 25000 miles. According to dealer and lexus customer service, they said it is norm for these tires. Softer compound was used to reduce noise and provide softer ride. Dealer admits problem but told to take matter with lexus or bridgestone. New tires at 20000....Any Comments/Suggestions
    Thanx a lot " JD Power "
  • jtboozejtbooze Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into a lease for a 2006 ES 330. I am 3 mos. away from the end of my current lease so I want to roll $1,300 into the new lease. I would think that by the end of Dec. they should be discounting substantially with the new 2007 due out in March or April. With the "December to Remember" program coming out soon, what kind of money factor and residual should I be looking for? Would appreciate any incite. Thanks
    I am looking into a lease for a 2006 ES 330. I am 3 mos. away from the end of my current lease so I want to roll $1,300 into the new lease. I would think that by the end of Dec. they should be discounting substantially with the new 2007 due out in March or April. With the "December to Remember" program coming out soon, what kind of money factor and residual should I be looking for? Would appreciate any incite. Thanks
  • gvr4wdgvr4wd Member Posts: 23
    Just bought a Black Diamond Edition from Lexus of Rockville in MD, went to Lexus of Silver Spring, but hated usual sales tactics. The Rockville staff was pleasant to deal. Paid $32.5K + TTL on $37K MSRP ES. I got the price over the email and went from there.... Hope this helps somebody.
  • sf3010sf3010 Member Posts: 4
    fredvh I'm also considering an ES300 (2002)that was reported to carfax as 'corporate fleet vehicle' for its first 15000 miles out of a total of 65000 miles. The asking prices is $19000. I have the following questions:
    1. Would anybody comment on if buying a 'corporate fleet vehicle' is an okay idea?
    2. What should be the right price for this car considering the 'corporate fleet vehicle' history?

Thanks
  • sf3010sf3010 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry forgot to mention that this ES300 was actually a 'corporate fleet vehicle' for a local Lexus dealer.
  • leapshopperleapshopper Member Posts: 1
    Looks like a good deal. BTW, is GPS Navigation system included? Thanks
  • moondoggymoondoggy Member Posts: 3
    I have never owned a Lexus and don't know well the dealers deal. I have found a 2005 ES 330 at a local dealer and his asking price is $31900. The car is the basic ES 330 w/o the NAV unit and has 17000 miles on it. They are offering me $3100 for my 97 Buick Riv a a trade. A new 2006 would run me $36100 so for $4100 I could have a new car vs a used car. I've checked around and I'm finding similar cars in Chicago for $1000-$2000 less and I'm thinking that their asking price is way too high. My credit union rep says that the Trade value should be around $28800 for the ES 330 and $4650 for my Riv. He told me that if the dealer wants to stick at the retail price ($31900) then he should be giving me retail on my Riv as well ($6325). Can some experienced in dealing with Lexus dealers tell me if I'm crazy to use these numbers or not? Can I get opinions on what a resonable net cost I might expect to get?
  • flcarsflcars Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 ES 330 for $31000 from sticker of $35000. For your car, you might get a few hundred more, but... For my 96 Buick Park Ave they gave me $2800. Gas guzzlers are getting low prices on trades. Try to lease it rather than buy it. The rates are lower. Buying it your rates would be 5.9%+ for 60 months but I got a lease for $435.00 a month/36 months. My mileage allowance is 18000 miles a year and an overage of $.20. My rate on the lease is 4.5% and my buyout is $18000 if I want the car.
    Dont forget get the tire hazard for $350. It is worth every penny. Nails, crack rim, unusual wear they will replace your tire or rim no questions asked. At $125 a tire and $400 a rim, you do the math.

Dont get the 2005 go for the 2006 for the same price. Just haggle more and if they dont move on.
  • roman_85roman_85 Member Posts: 2
    Will the Automatic transmission of a 1995 ES 300 fit a 1993 es 300?
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    FYI, the Lexus will be redesigned in early 2006 as 2007 models. There are already pictures of the new Camry up on the Camry 2007 board.

Many features like Knee Airbags and possibly Push Start Button will be standard or options. I also suspect a more powerful engine in the 2007 as well.

For the 2005 and 2006 though you should be getting at least 3K off MSRP.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi jtbooze. The "December to Remember" sales event just started two days ago. This is an excellent time to lease the car that you are interested in. I would be happy to give you an idea of what its new lease program is like, but you never mentioned how long you want to lease it for or how many miles per year you need to be able to drive. For now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease. Let me know if you need information for different parameters. If you were to lease a 2006 Lexus ES 330 without navigation through Lexus Financial Services right now for 36 months, its buy rate lease money factor and should be .00123. I haven't seen if Lexus published new residual values for December yet, but the residual for this car is not nearly as important as its money factor because dealers can mark up money factors to add additional profit to deals, but they cannot alter banks' published residual values.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
    Tires on these ES330 meant to last only 20,000 miles. Trany still needs more work. Before you buy ask ................Not very happy with this car....try Toyota Avalon...much better car for the money
  • jhmwenjhmwen Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    Great story. I am just wondering if you traded in your old car in this deal. It is hard to believe you can buy a Lexus below invoice price if you don't have a trade-in. Thanks.
  • ejoyce423ejoyce423 Member Posts: 42
    Let me know what you think of this deal. 2006 ES330 Black Diamond (includes pref accy pkg, hid, 6 disc, h/v seats, vsc) with an MSRP of $36,599. Terms are $399 a month for 36 months, 12K miles annual with $1281 out the door (this includes everything ttl). Or they would be willing to do $399 a month with $1000 out the door on something on their lot but of course they don't have anything we want on their lot. This deal is using the 'December to Remember' money factor. Thanks.
  • harryb1harryb1 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased my ES 330 in May 2004. Now, after 14K miles the front tires are down and I need to replace them.

Anyone experience the same problem and what can be done?
  • ejoyce423ejoyce423 Member Posts: 42
    I notice that there were a couple of posts regarding tire wear related issues. Which tires came originally equipped on your ES330 (Bridgestone, Michelin, etc). We noticed that there were about five or six different tire manufacturers on the dealers lot. Just wondering if there is a certain tire manufacturer to avoid. Thanks.
  • rdannrdann Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

No, I didn't have any trade ins. I did all negotiations by e-mails and found it easier and more efficient for myself. Once they agreed on the price I called the dealer and last thing was to get the right ext/int colors. They located one at a different dealership and had to put some miles on to get it over. They wouldn't deliver the car to me as well, but it's OK.

This forum helped a lot to figure out the % of MSRP that was reasonable to pay at this time, so wanted to share the experience and thank others here.

Regarding my old car: trying to sell my 1996 Ford Mustang with only 47K miles on it. Don't have experience with this, so not an easy task for me.
  • newcarbuyer3newcarbuyer3 Member Posts: 3
    Car_man,

Looking at a 2006 ES330 without navigation. Would like a 48 month lease with 20K miles. Can you give me a sense for the buy price, money factor, residual, and monthly payment I should expect with no money down?
  • vetfannyvetfanny Member Posts: 11
    Seeing TV ads for a Lexus end of year sale. Is this real or your furniture store type advertising "normal" pricing.
    Can't find any info on "sale prices" anywhere.
    Cardirect.com does not give a price that looks like a deal.
    Avoid buying ES330 with Bridgestone. I was told by service rep. at the dealership that all new ES330 come with notice regarding the tires. Bridgestone representative confirmed me that tires are meant to last only 20 to 25 thousand miles. $600.00 every two years.....Nice.Why buy this car ??????????????????Trans problem.... steering issues..... From the beginning customers were getting deals...I mean close to invoice and in some cases even below invoice.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi newcarbuyer3. Let's take a look at this car's current lease program. If you were to lease a 2006 Lexus ES 330 without navigation through Lexus Financial Services right now for 48 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be an attractive .00123 and 57%, respectively. 15,000 miles per year is the highest mileage allowance that LFS publishes residual values for. If you need more miles than this, you will have to purchase them on a per-mile basis. It is less expensive to do so at lease signing than it is to wait until lease-end and have to pay an excess mileage penalty. I would be happy to use this lease program to estimate what the lease payment should be like for you on the exact car that you are considering. However, in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with its full MSRP and an approximate selling price. You should be able to get a good idea of how much you will have to pay for this car by visiting the following discussion: "Lexus ES 300/ES 330: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • sewell8819sewell8819 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, this is my first post. I am in the process of trying to buy a 1999 lexus es300 with 94,500 miles, and the guy was asking 10,900. I got him down to 9,000. Should I take the car at this price/ is this a good price? All the car needs is new tires, and a timing belt change. I figure 500 for tires and 400 for timing belt.

Thanks, any help appreciated.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    This discussion is mostly about the price of a new car.. As, they are all the same, except for options, it is fairly easy to compare prices.

You could try posting a full description of the car here:
    Real-World Trade-In Values

Someone there may be able to give you an idea on a fair price..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• newcarbuyer3newcarbuyer3 Member Posts: 3
    Car_man, my current quote:
    MSRP $35,279
    Selling price $33,279
    Miles 20K
    Residual $13,228 (38%)
    Money factor 0.0031 (7.43)

In addition, I have approximately $10K I need to roll in from my current lease - I'm assuming that's why they are quoting such a high money factor (they know I have excellent credit so that is not the issue). Also, they are offering to pay for the taxes as a "December Special" which would be 8.25% otherwise. Thoughts?
  • arg10arg10 Member Posts: 1
    How did you get the price over the internet? When I got a reply from that dealership internet manager, he only quoted the MSRP. Did you negotiate the price down once you went there, or were you quoted the $32.5K price when they responded to your inquiry?
    To give you an update: Got the car 15K mi/ 36 mos. First mo. and inceptions. Including rolling $1,313 (3 mos. on old lease) paying $439/mo. tax in. I am very happy since it's about $1 more than I was paying for a 2003 Acura TL. Paid just under invoice.. ate into the holdback a little. I believe it was approx. $30k that I paid. No buyer's remourse here! The money factor was unbelievable. I believe it's a subsidized lease since they are changing style drastically around March/April. Hope this is helpful.

JTbooze
    rdann, please cite the dealer from whom you bought your car. Edmunds allows you to cite dealers, just not your salesman.

Thanks.
  • jpdegjpdeg Member Posts: 7
    I just got a quote at a dealership oin a 2006 es330 w/ 17" wheels, 6 disc changer, heated/cooled seats, sunshade, wood and leather wheel, cargo mat and net. The salesman gave me a quote of $33,734. MSRP is $35,700. He claims that this is the best deal, but maybe he can go sown to 33,200. This is the Decemebr sales event that I jear about every year? I always wondered if it was bs, and it seems to be.

Does this sound like a fair price? I thought it would be much lower.
  • california4california4 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I just bought my ES330 '06. Sticker was $37,595 and I paid $34,000 flat. Includes everything you listed and the navigation system. I think you can get them lower.

I stopped by to look at SUVs. I told them I'm buying the Acura TL but wanted to look at a Lexus SUV first (which I was). I drove 2 SUVs, told him I think I prefer a car. He showed me the ES330 and I said I can't afford a Lexus and felt the Acura was better looking and a better value. He then offerred $34000 to be more in line with the Acura. I said sold.

The Acura is nice, but there is nothing like a Lexus for quality and comfort. It is an amazing car!
  • assameseassamese Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    Planning to lease a lexus ES 330 end of feb in NJ. Want
    - Navigation System, Mark Levinson Audio
    - 17" all weather tires
    - Heated & Ventilated Seats, High Intensity Headlights
    - interior/ext color does not matter

Wanted to put down as little as possible.
    Will return car at the end of lease.
    Any suggestions on what a decent monthly lease payment should be?
    Thanks in advance - Sanjay
    forgot to mention that I am looking for either
    - 36 mos, 15k/year
    or - 24 mos, 15 k/year

Thanks again. Sanjay
  • beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    Sanjay....
    I'm from LI, but got my best lease deal in NJ. 2005 ES330 very closely equipped as you mentioned. MSRP $35,707. I took 36mo. 15K. TAS approx $1,400. $417 per mo.incl tax.No dealer on LI would meet the deal. However.....it's a good thing I got the deal in writing beforehand, as when I went to pick up the car, they told me they made a mistake and wanted $1000 more. I held out and threatened to call Lexus right there and then if they didn't give me the car. They then gave it to me. I got it at Prestige. Good luck......
    Beardie,

Thanks a lot for your response. Couple of quick questions:
    - did you negotiate via email ?
    - did you put any downpayment in addition to the $1400 for TAS ?
    - anything else I should know, before I contact prestige ?
    (My current lease for my BMW is from Prestige - in Ramsey, and it is running out on Feb)

Thanks again - Sanjay
This discussion has been closed.