Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• harry90066harry90066 Member Posts: 4
    I have no idea why anyone would mess around because of $200 on a $35K car.
  • slvajonesslvajones Member Posts: 14
    Any recommendations for a good dealer/salesperson in the San Francisco area, or a town close by, would be very much appreciated. Please email me. (silva1246@hotmail.com) Thanks. :-)
  • chenghchengh Member Posts: 9
    I am looking into this car as well. I am looking for a car with navigation and premier sound system. I got a quot from Lexus Stevens Creek said 2004 ES330s with Navigation and Mark Levinson sound are now all fully equipped to one MSRP of $38,554, reduced to a selling price of $34,514.
  • slvajonesslvajones Member Posts: 14
    chengh - Thank you. You should also try Coliseum Lexus in Oakland. My sister just purchased that same vehicle (with Mark Levinson) from them for 34k. I also got a tip from another board that Longo Lexus in El Monte California would sell a 2004 ES 330 below invoice. Good luck.
  • menhirmenhir Member Posts: 3
    I purchased with premium package (alabaster/ charcoal grey) from Lexus of Silver Spring (DC area)last month. MSRP $33344, purchase price $30000 (90% of MSRP) plus taxes and tags (OTD $31116). Love the car. Thanks to folks on this board, I did the entire deal on the internet. Best car buying experience I have ever had!

One question. With regular unleaded, I seem to get about 20 MPG on mostly highway driving. Is that the norm? Will I benefit by switching to 89 or 91 octane? Thanks for any advise.
  • branminbranmin Member Posts: 6
    Posted this on another forum and hope you can help me......

Slightly OT and not sure if this is the right forum but appreciate your replies. Been looking at the LS430 and ES330(2004) and made up my mind that couldn't justify the huge difference in price between the two, even though the LS430 is quite substantial.
    Anyway..keeping in mind what you have been saying about the 2005 about to hit the showrooms(and whether I should wait) and the Salesman has virtually told me that he wants to make this sale by the end of this month..here is what he is offering. He has a Gold coloured 2004 ES330.(which comes with the following)
    MSRP----- 31725.00
    Heated front seats.........440.00
    HID 640.00
    Power Rear Shade 210.00
    Nav system package with
    in-dash CD player and
    6 Disc CD player 2220.00
    Wood/leather Steering
    wheel and shift nob 330.00
    Cargo net 59.00
    Trunk Mat 69.00
    Wheel Locks 66.00
                            $35759.00
    Delivery fee 625.00
    Total $36384.00

The salesman then tells me that this particular car comes with Exotic Wood trim which adds another $895.00 for a total $37279.00.(can't seem to find this package announced anywhere, even on Lexus's website, thought it came with this wood??) Provided that I take the car by the end of this month he will deduct $2000.00 and give me $1000.00 for my 92 Lincoln(which is all it's worth, unless I sell privately for perhaps $500,00 to 1K more)

So we now come to $34279.00
    Fees and Service
    Inspection, cleaning etc
    (BS or normal?) 499.50
    Waste tire and lead acid 8.50
    Sales Tax(6% in Florida) 2087.22
    Tag and Title 150.00

Grand Total $37024.22

So..is this a good deal?(keeping in mind that Naples FL. appears to get much higher prices than elsewhere)...I thought around $35,000 might be nearer, or am I wrong........or should I just wait for the 2005 version?
    Sorry for the long post......Bran.
  • mybullmybull Member Posts: 3
    After driving Infiniti I35, ES330, and X3 we have decided to go with ES330. Interested in finding the bottomline price for ES330 so that I can go to the dealership with more accurate data.
  • acracklacrackl Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for this board. It helped me. Here's my input.

Year: 2004
    MSRP: $33924
    Options: PM, HN, Sportdesign edition, WL, LM, GN
    Invoice: $29975 (NADA new car guide)
    Paid: $29857
    OTD: $31984 (Tax, 6.25%, TTL, doc fee, Inv Tax)
    Financing: 2.9% , 60 months, Lexus Finance
    Date bought: 7/31/2004 (might have had something to do with the price)

Did I get a good deal? I got one that I am very happy with. The dealer was Sterling McCall. I had the most wonderful buying experience with them. All negotiations thru' internet. Went to the dealer to complete formalities. The car is great. I went into this after reading extensively about the transmission and test driing it myself.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Congratulations on the new car! I think you got a great price. Anytime you can get a new car for dealer invoice is a great deal. Rebates are an exception to this but there are no current rebates on the ES330. By the way, how much was the DOC fee?
  • acracklacrackl Member Posts: 10
    Fredvh,

Thanks. The doc fee was $50. I believe it is capped at $50 by law in TX (it says that "A documentary fee may not exceed $50 for a motor vehicle contract ...") in the sale contract.

AV
  • philly2philly2 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone purchased a Lexus ES330 or any Lexus model through the COSTCO Auto Program? If so, do you think that you received a good deal or do you think you could have done better with your own negotiations?
  • mybullmybull Member Posts: 3
    I am going thru the COSTCO auto program in Chicagoland area. Waiting for the dealership to call. On my own, I have got a price of $31,107 ES330 MSRP $34,744 and invoice $30,631.
    I am planning to negotiate to get close/less than invoice since 2005 models have started to arrive.
    Did you actually see the 2005 ES330? What, if anything, is different about them? Price increase? Thanks
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    If you go to clublexus.com forums and over to ES330 you will see a board on the 2005 ES and pics.

Basically what has changed:
    -17" wheels optional for $80
    -passenger seat memory functions
    -lighter plastic color in interior(around climate control, etc.)
    -different wood color shade(I believer lighter again).
    -heated/cooled seats
    -projector beam low-beam headlights
    -redesigned front bumper with new round foglamps
    -redesigned rear tailamps
    -new front grille
    Thanks Max. I did not realize that the 2005s were coming this quick in the year.
    I think alot of dealers already have them. They seemed to have moved up their model year switchovers. It used to be new model year cars wouldn't arrive until late august/early september for carryover models.
    Please post and let us know how you do with the COSTCO auto program. I live in the Philadelphia area and was not aware that the 2005 models have started to arrive.
    Mybull, How did you find the I35 vs. ES330? Why did you choose the ES330 over the I35?
         Anyone: Is there a price increase on the 2005 ES330?
  • needadviceneedadvice Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone......

i very badly need some advice on the following matter. I have no experience in purchasing cars. Is it advisable to buy a car that has been met with an accident. I saw this this lexus car at a dealer.
    Details :
    Lexus ES 300 1996
    mileage = 99000
    black color , leather seats

This car was involved in an accident and the dealer basically repaired it. Now it looks brand new with no problems at all.
    The following things were damaged :
    1) Hood
    2) Fendor
    3) Radiator
    4) Condensor
    The dealer basically replaced it with new parts and repaired the body damage. I test drove the car and it looks in perfect condition.
    He is asking for : $4000.00

Is it worth buying a car that was involved in an accident. Any advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks
    Need Advice
  • georgeb7georgeb7 Member Posts: 35
    Probably, most important to consider is the frame of the vehicle. If the frame is bent, the car will never be the same. The dealer is not going to tell you if the frame was bent or not. However, I suspect the low price the dealer is willing to take is a good clue. For example, I did an Edmunds Appraisal for that year car. The dealer's price was $11,244 with Chrome Wheels, Leather Seats and AM-FM & CD player. I would think that the vehicle you looked at had those. Even if they didn't, we are looking at a $7,000 price difference. The other factor is the Salvaged title. This title shows "salvaged" which means it has been in an accident. Most people do not want a car that has been in an accident. The last point is the mileage - many people will take a chance on a salvaged vehicle if the mileage is low. Personally, you have two strikes against you going into the deal - high miles and a wrecked history. This will most of the time lead to trouble. Thus, your $4,000 price tag. My opinion is to find another car.
    I second that, run from that 96 ES300 as fast as you can!

It's a bad idea to buy a used car that has been in a major accident. It will never be like a new car, and it is a expensive car to repair. Therefore, imagine if you start having problems with it due to the accident repair...you'll be shelling out money left & right.

I would say it's better to spend a few more grand and buy a higher mileage 95 or 96 that hasn't been in a accident.
  • wjlwjl Member Posts: 11
    Just picked up a 2005 ES330 (MSRP $35,684) for $32,536 plus taxes, tags, etc, etc.... $33,873 out the door. It included the 17" Wheels, heated/ventilated front seats, HID, VSC, wood and leather steering wheel, 6-disk CD, pref package (trunk mat, cargo net, wheel locks), Oasis Green Pearl. I wanted the blue mica, but none of the dealers had it. Basically got it for AAA's 2004 price. Very nice car. Been looking for about 6 months, and found out a couple of months ago that the 2005s were due out early this year.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Congrats wjl.

Have you ever experienced tranny symptoms on any ES from 02-04, and if so do you feel it on 05?

Is the base audio still the 87-watt lexus premium?

BTW, what's the invoice price on that? Is 05's msrp and invoice higher than 04?
  • wjlwjl Member Posts: 11
    Hi igiban,

Regarding:

"Have you ever experienced tranny symptoms on any ES from 02-04, and if so do you feel it on 05?"
    That's a tough one. Before I actually test drove a 2004 (but waited for the 2005), I did alot of research. I read many of the complaints on the various forums, spoke with a couple of folks that have the 02 - 04 ES300/330, and spoke with a number of sales reps. By the time I actually drove the car, I was almost paranoid about it.... and to be honest I did find a hesitation, but I couldn't help wondering if it was because I was so worked up by it or what.... Kind of like reading to much about a medical sickness, and all of a sudden thinking you have it... In the end, it didn't bother me. With the 2005, I haven't felt it. Same thing happened for my wife. Again, I described what other people felt to her, and she thought she felt something like that. But again, it didn't feel any different then her 1995 Avalon. The 2005 ES330 is her car.

"Is the base audio still the 87-watt lexus premium?"
    Yes

"BTW, what's the invoice price on that? Is 05's msrp and invoice higher than 04?"
    It's higher by about $250 on the base and another $200 on the seats, since they are now ventilated. MSRP and features are now on the Lexus site (www.lexus.com), and invoice prices are now on Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com).

All things considered, it is a great car. They changed the wood to a kind of golden bird's-eye maple from the previous darker walnut. I kind of liked the darker wood better. They also added the 17" wheel option for $80. Seems like all the cars had it. It feels good. I can feel a little bit of the difference in the turns.... a little tighter. The ventilated seats is a nice feature. There are other changes, but for me the biggest thing I think is audio controls on the steering wheel. I was always surprised they never had this. Real nice to be able to control most of the settings with your right thumb.

Like I said, very nice car.
  • atwnswatwnsw Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this bulletin board and hope, based on your responses, that I will be a participating member.

I am looking to buy my wife a car to replace her totalled 1998 Infiniti I30. While she loved the infiniti, she would like a different car and we were impressed after we test drove an ES300. We are looking to buy a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) ES300 and need your advice. Whatever car we buy will be in our family for 5-6 years so leasing is not a consideration.

Based on the 2004 ES330 price at the local dealer at $30.9K + taxes, I am looking to buy a pre-owned car from anywhere between $25K-$30K out the door. Since we keep our cars for a long time, I will likely get the additional 2 year warranty for a total of 5 years. I was quoted $1,450 from the dealer. Does this price sound right?

Is there a model difference between the 2002 and 2003? Which do you recommend?

What should I expect to pay for a 2003 w/ approx 10K miles or a 2002 w/ approx 20K miles?

I was guessing that $23-24K for a 2002 and $26-27K for a 2003? Are these good guesses?

How will I be treated if I don't buy it from my local dealer?

Is there a downside if I buy it pre-owned?

Since I don't want to pay for the first year or two of deprecation hit, I was leaning towards the 2002 but don't know much about the models.

Any input would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Anthony
  • lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    I am sure some people here will have good advice for you. Also try Smart Shopper board( on left, search by board)and our used car and certified car tabs at top of page. Goodluck!
  • lexonlexon Member Posts: 11
    I was offered by a couple of dealers in Central Jersey and one in Manhattan.

ES330 - 2005 with Navi/Mark Levison - 34,600 + 2,076 tax + 120 Reg. fee + 45 processing fee.

Altogether: 36,841.

Please let me know whether this is reasonable.
    Giving the MSRP and maybe the invoice price would help us in telling you if it is a good deal or not.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Thanks wjl. BTW, does 2005 ES still not offer telescopic steering wheel?
    I was offered by a couple of dealers in Central Jersey and one in Manhattan.

ES330 - 2005 with Navi/Mark Levison - 34,600 + 2,076 tax + 120 Reg. fee + 45 processing fee.

Altogether: 36,841.

Please let me know whether this is reasonable.
  • paguy2paguy2 Member Posts: 26
    What other options does the price include (HID lamps, Stability Control, etc.)? Also, which dealer in NJ?

Seems like a good price!
    How do I know the exact invoice price. I am not getting this info.

In addition to Navigation with ML, it has
    Heated & VENTILATED Front Seats
    HID
    Power Rear Sunshade
    VSC
    Wood & Leather Steering wheel
    Trunk mat
    Wheel Locks
    Cargo Net

From Lexus of Manhattan, Ray Catena Lexus

HID
    Power Rear Sunshade
    VSC
    Trunk mat
    Wheel Locks
    Cargo Net

lexon,

It seems like your MSRP is about 38,300. Which means the invoice price on that car is right around $34,000 even. At $600 over invoice, it seems like you are getting a great deal for a '05.

HID
    Power Rear Sunshade
    VSC
    Trunk mat
    Wheel Locks
    Cargo Net

Received offers from a couple of dealers and one dealer is offering $3300 plus tax and tags for car to include high-intensity discharge headlamps, heated and ventilated front seats, VSC, 6-disc in-dash cd auto changer, wood and leather trimmed steering wheel and shift knob, power rear sunshade, 17" alloy wheels with all-season tires, preferred accessory package (includes trunk mat, cargo net and wheel locks). I believe the MSRP is about 35,894 - dealer did not give me info. Please let me know whether this is a reasonable price.
    Does this include navigation or ML package ?

If so, I would not even wait a second.

I got a quote for 34.6K with Navi/ML package ?
    This quote does not include navigation or ML package.
    Received offers from a couple of dealers and one dealer is offering $3300 plus tax and tags for car to include high-intensity discharge headlamps, heated and ventilated front seats, VSC, 6-disc in-dash cd auto changer, wood and leather trimmed steering wheel and shift knob, power rear sunshade, 17" alloy wheels with all-season tires, preferred accessory package (includes trunk mat, cargo net and wheel locks). I believe the MSRP is about 35,894 - dealer did not give me info. This quote does not include navigation or ML package. Someone please let me know whether this is a reasonable price. Dealers do not want to discount. Need Help.
    The Invoice on that car should be about $31.5K. So you're paying about 1,500 over invoice. It seems like some other people have gotten one for less, but you're still getting a almost $3K discount, I wouldn't exactly call that "Dealers do not want to discount".

It seems like you're in the PHilly area? IF so, have you tried Ray Catena in Oakhurst, NJ?
    I was offered about $34.5K (plux tax and tags etc.) from Ray Catena in NJ and one dealer in suburbs of Philly. This car has Navigation, ML audio upgrade, HID headlamps, heated and ventilated front seats, VSC, 6-disc cd auto changer, wood and leather trimmed steering wheel and shift knob, power rear sunshade, 17" alloy wheels with all-season tires, preferred accessory package (includes trunk mat, cargo net and wheel locks). MSRP is $38.4K.
    Who is the dealer in Philly area.
    The dealer in Philly area (Wilkie Lexus) has backed out since. Not a very honest dealership.
    Which dealer in Philly area? Thanks
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Just bought 2004 ES Alabaster for wife this weekend from Keyes in Van Nuys, Ca. Paid $33,914 for Mark Levinson package MSRP $38,554. Could have bought a Crystal White and paid $300 less from another dealer. But color is more important than $300. Internet purchase is very easy. Dealer's pruchase experience is good. We didn't purchase Lojack. Has anyone used lojack to recover his/her car?
  • anchortwnanchortwn Member Posts: 10
    33914 is that the price u paid with CA tax or without?? thanks!
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    $33,914 + tax, license & fees. Out the Door $37062.68
    The Lexus of Manhattan dealer gave everything in writing for 34.6 with Navi/ML(plus tax etc) and took a deposit of 1K(it was even charged to my AMEX card).

The next day the sales manager calls and says the sales guy did not know what was he doing. Said he sold me the car for less, hence cancelling the deal. He says, they would refund my money though.

Can this be done legally. I want to know whether can I talk to someone @ Lexus to get this resolved.
  • geoffrey1geoffrey1 Member Posts: 1
    I just got about the same price - $34.5K - from the Wilmington DE dealer for all those options except Navigation. So your price sounds amazing, or else I need to bargain a lot harder.
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    goeffrey1- pageguy2's deal reflected 89.8% MSRP, which is right in line with what other posters receive without much bargaining.

If your deal is much higher than 90% MSRP, I'd try to negotiate for a lower price.
This discussion has been closed.