Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus ES 300/ES 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    The ones in the Midwest all have VSC along with a number of other options that bring the MSRP to approx. 35,619.
  • asawasaw Member Posts: 54
    Anybody purchased the ES330 Package D (Special Edition - base model w/o sunroof) or Package D (w/ sunroof and 17" wheels and CD changer) in Canada?

Please indicate how much off MSRP you got. Thanks!
  • ohdaddy926ohdaddy926 Member Posts: 12
    I have been pricing 1999 Lexus ES300 The asking price at a Lexus dealership is substantially higher while at Carmax I can get the same vehicle for $4,000 to $5,000 less. I've been told that Carmax has a good reputation. Any information/opinions would be helpful. Anyone purchased a 1999 Lexus ES lately with mileage around 65,000? If so, what did you pay and where did you purchase it? One more thing, I've heard it's worth driving to Atlanta Georgia to purchase a vehicle because you can get a better deal. I live in Tennessee. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my email.

Cindy
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Lexus is a much nicer car, and you will likely get at least 100,000 miles out of the car. The Altima is nice, but nothing compared to the Lexus.
  • ctdriver76ctdriver76 Member Posts: 5
    I'm about to buy a 2005 ES 330 in Connecticut. (Options include Nav System)
    MSRP/sticker is $38,669.
    Edmunds Invoice is $33,812.
    Sales person said they have an additional $1,000 advertising cost on top of the invoice? Is that true?
    Also, he said he wants to make $1,000 over their cost.

Is Edmunds invoice their bottom line cost? Is he just trying to get me to pay a higher price with this "extra advertising cost"?

It's late in the model year. 2006 will be out soon. What should I pay to get a good deal?
    Thank you for the help!!!
  • atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    Lately, posters have been getting between 87-88% MSRP on their deals, but this is historically low. It is near the end of the model year. I expect they will be coming out with the 2006 within the next couple of months. Perhaps that is why posters have recieved good deals recently. If they went shopping in bad weather that could also have contributed to their good deals.

If I were you, based upon what other posters have recently received, I would start my negotiations with 87% MSRP. I would try not to give the dealer more than 89-90% MSRP BEFORE government charges (license, tax, registration, etc.) are applied.

If your dealer is quoting $33812+2000 = 35812, then your deal amounts to 35812/38669 x 100 = 92.6% MSRP. I'd try to avoid that if possible because it is much higher than other posters historically have received. If the dealer's quoted price is 33812+1000 = 34812, then you are getting 34812/38669 x 100 = 90% MSRP, which is right in line with what other posters have been receiving over the past couple of years.
  • jsceajjsceaj Member Posts: 4
    i just closed a deal here in Maryland (today 6-13-05) and I go the ES 330 for $35K plus taxes and tags. The car includes the Nav system, heated and cooled seats, HID headlamps, power rear sunshade, VSC, wood & leather steering wheel, the perferred package and the XM radio. Without XM I could have gotten the car for $34, 530 but they wanted almost $900 for the XM (list about $1,150). It took about a week of negoatiating but they agreed to $35K for everthing.
    What is the MSRP on your car, including the destination charge?
    THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP!

MSRP before destination $38,019
    Plus destination of $650
    Sticker/MSRP bottom line is $38,660.

...salesman states he wants to make $1,000 over their cost. Not my problem.
    I'd like to buy it below their cost.
  • jsceajjsceaj Member Posts: 4
    my MSRP was $38,603 (including destination charge) plus the XM radio insatll which brought it o around $39,475. Good Luck
    Your deal amounted to 34,530/38603 x 100 = 89.4% MSRP on the basic car not including XM installation. Since not all posters have XM installed, this is probably a better comparison than if you included the XM. If you want to include the XM, calculate the following:

(price paid for car + price paid for radio) / (MSRP of car + MSRP of radio) x 100.

89.4% is a very reasonable deal relative to what other posters historically have received and I would be satisfied with it.
    Note: To get your %MSRP, calculate price quoted by dealer excluding license, tax, registration and other govt charges, divide it by MSRP, multiply by 100.
    For example if a dealer offers you 32000 on a vehicle whose MSRP is 35000, your %MSRP = 32000/35000 x 100 = 91.4%

=====================================================
    Since I have been tracking posters' deals on new ES3x0s since the summer of 2003, here is what I have come up with:

1. 87% MSRP- 89% MSRP - Very few posters have received deals within this range. These prices tend to be obtained in the winter months, like December, or near the end of model year, in June, July.

2. 89% MSRP - 91% MSRP - By far the largest number of posters have received deals within this range. I would try very hard not to pay more than 91% MSRP, including destination, not including license/tax/registration. I would be extremely satisfied with 89% MSRP, and not as satisfied with 91% but all in all, your aren't getting ripped off if you buy in this range.

3. 91%MSRP - 93% MSRP - A few posters paid prices in this range. If I could not locate a dealer to beat this price, I might try Sam's Club, Costco, Internet, etc. as a sanity check. Consider driving a distance if you can't beat this price.

4. >93% MSRP - No poster has paid more than 93% MSRP during the time I have been tracking this, which has been for about the last two years. I can imagine that when the model body is brand new, as it was in 2002, or it will be in 2007, or during other times of extreme vehicle shortages you might expect your price to be at or above 93% MSRP.
    ========
  • dwarnacuttdwarnacutt Member Posts: 15
    I purchased the gold package for my 2005 black/black 330ES in December 2004. The gold package includes the ES330 decal, Lexus logo on front and back and the Lexus logo in center of each wheel (chrome wheels only).

When I went to pick up my car, the wheel logos were on my 17' chrome wheels were not gold. I asked my salesperson about this and he told me that wheel logos were not part of the gold package. However, I had called Lexus customer service earlier and got a list of the gold package items (the rep told me that the gold package was discontinued a few years ago and now each dealer has their own version of what comes with the package, some include the wheel logo and some dealers do not). A supervisor at another Lexus dealer's parts department told me that the gold wheel logos are included whenever you buy the chrome wheels.

After about ten minutes of discussion with my salesperson, he had the parts department put on the gold wheel logos. Sure does make a difference in the appearance of the car.

The MSRP I was quoted by the dealer for the gold package was $695 but I paid $295. I do not know where you got the $190 price listed in your post. I wish I would have known about your $190 price when I made my deal in December.

Overall, I am very happy with the car. Although, I have experienced the same kind of hesitation problems that many others have posted.

Good luck to you.

Debra :)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    When I went shopping in February, the saleswoman at Lexus of Nashville-North was ready to deal. I don't know how much over invoice she would have taken, but I'm sure it would have been reasonable. I'd try to aim for about 88% of MSRP, if possible.
    Thanks for all of your help!
    ... got a good deal last week.
    MSRP - $38,669 (Loaded w/ Nav & Mark Lev)
    Invoice - $34,254
    Paid - $34,454 (thought $200 over invoice was good)
    89.09%
  • davidzdavidz Member Posts: 35
    I'm shopping for a 2005 ES330 for my mother who lives in southeast Florida. I live in Ohio. I emailed a dealer nearby her home and got no response. I, then, filled out the form on the web and the Internet salesman emailed me back and said "gee, what do they want for an ES in Ohio?" I emailed him back that the car was for my mother and she lives near his dealership. So, far, I haven't heard back from him. Is this the way it works? Don't they want to sell cars?

When I look to contact the other nearby dealers, I noticed that they all ask you to fill out the same web form. I wonder, do they share this information? Do they know what other dealers you've asked for quotes? Something about this seems very fishy. I'd be much more comfortable if they'd just give you an email address.
    A lot of dealers will use a webpage template to save costs on designing a website.

Many Infiniti dealers use the same template on their websites. The dealers in Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, and Huntsville share the same website design. All they did was change a few things. Its a great way to cut costs.

Have you considered buying the car in Ohio and then driving it to your mother in Florida, and then flying back home?
  • davidzdavidz Member Posts: 35
    It's waaaaaaaay to far to bother driving.

As far as email is concerned, faaghhhhetttaboutit. I'm just going to negotiate by phone. I don't understand how people can negotiate a car purchase by email, anyway.
  • bikegalbikegal Member Posts: 50
    You tell them how much you are willing to pay. Period. They either accept or reject offer.
  • tinypoemtinypoem Member Posts: 26
    Ok Just got a black one here in Southern California. Premium package with the wood steering wheel, heated seats etc for $30,300 plus TTL (about $33792 OTD here in LA. Dealer also threw in $300 voucher for future service credit. I hope that was a good deal but im not sure...
    As far as email is concerned, faaghhhhetttaboutit. I'm just going to negotiate by phone. I don't understand how people can negotiate a car purchase by email, anyway.

When I bought my car, I e-mailed the dealer with my offer, and the next day they called me, bargained a little, accepted my offer, and I had a new car sitting in my garage within 12 hours.
  • dwarnacuttdwarnacutt Member Posts: 15
    I bought a black/black 2005 ES330 in Dec 04 in Southern California equipped with premium package + 17" chrome wheels + gold package + platinum extended warranty (7 years 100,000 miles) and paid the following price:

car + accessories $32,876.00
    extended warranty 1,350.00
    tax/lic/tire fees 2,704.77

total out the door $36,930.77

I am very happy with the car and my deal.
  • serenoa1serenoa1 Member Posts: 7
    atoews:
    Noticed your post of 6/14 where you have researched percentage discounts from MSRP. Did your research also include doc fees? It changes those percentages when dealers try to add $500 or more doc fees as our local dealer has tried to do.
    Sorry I am so late responding.

In answer to your question, posters' deals should NOT include govt charges like tax and license, but SHOULD include all other charges, particularly dealer charges. That helps to keep the dealers from nickel and diming you to make their deals sound better.

When I poll Edmund's posters for their deals, I try and make certain that the quotes the posters provide are all consistent, but of course I have no way of enforcing it. That is why it helps to have lots of quotes.

In summary, once again, if a dealer gives you quote, and then adds a doc fee to that, you need to add that doc fee to get your %MSRP. Example: MSRP is $35,000. Dealer says he'll let you have the car for $32000. Then he adds a doc fee of $500, which makes your car cost $32500 before license, tax registration, etc. You calculate the %MSRP using the $32500 number.

If you do it this way, you should be consistent with other Edmunds posters.
  • erasmusmrrerasmusmrr Member Posts: 6
    How is $34,100 for a new 2005 es 330 fully loaded including navigation. is that something i should grab? I am a little worried about the transmission im reaqding about on here. let me know. thanks
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Sounds like a good deal to me. But is that the OTD cost? If not you can tack on a couple of extra grand for sales tax alone, unless you live in a state like Nevada that has no sales tax, or very low sales tax.
    tax and fees are on top of $34,100, but still isnt that an excellent price for a fully loaded car?
    Some posters have gotten the fully loaded ES for under $32,000. Mostly Cali folks.
    How is that possible? Isnt the invoice lower on that car for fully loaded?
  • jhwkjhwk Member Posts: 5
    I am looking at a 2005 ES 330 dealer demo with premium package and window tinting with 4,981 on it. The dealer has quoted a price of $31,498 (approx 90% MSRP). I got an internet quote from another Dallas/Ft. Worth dealer for a new ES for $31,698 (91% MSRP).

My question is what do you think a realistic price reduction should be to account for 1/2 year warranty (the inservice date was 1-25-05) and the 5,000 miles? I have to believe the dealer is not going to expect to get the same for its demo as a brand new car. I would like to save extra money by buying a demo if the numbers add up.

What do you think the %MSRP should be for the miles and 1/2 year less warranty?

Thanks alot!!
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    The dealer can ask for whatever they want. It is up to you to negotiate a fair price.

Keep in mind that we are almost at the end of the model year. Personally, I would not buy the demo unless it was discounted at least $3,000 compared to the new vehicle price. I bought my 5 series BMW from a dealer in So. Cal. The car had 3,000 miles and it was about 9 month old. A new 5 series BMW at the time when I bought my car was selling for about $1,500- $2,000 below sticker. I bought mine which was NOT used but a BMW company car for over $6,000 below sticker.

I helped a friend buy a ES330 about a month ago with Nav. package and few other things, MSRP $37,119 for $32,309 + $45 doc fee + $8.75 tire waste fee + TTL. You can look at post #895 above.

Good luck with your negotiations and keep us posted.

Spyderred.
    The dealer would not deal at all on the demo. They said $31,000. We told them there was absolutely no way we would do that. We would purchase new if the demo was 31K. We arn't in any hurry, so we are having an auto broker look for a low mileage 330 which is what we started out looking for in the first place (we wanted to spend under 30K). The best any of the Dallas/Ft. Worth dealers would do on a new car with premium package (CD changer, Wood steering wheel and knob, 17" wheels, rear sunshade and heated seats) is $31,500 and they said invoice is $31,144. Edmunds has the invoice at around $30,850. Do they have different invoice prices?

If the auto broker can't find anything then we will most likely look for a new 330, but it will be in August closer to the '06's coming out and maybe they will be willing to deal more.

Thanks alot, Jhwk
    Your experience is a bit like mine. I wanted a used 2004 for $30,000. Only carmax came close with one with 3,500 miles for $31,000.

Went to the dealer in Dec. and got a brand new 2005 for $32,000! It has leather/cooled seats, 6 disc cd, hid/auto wipers, wood steering wheel, rear sunshade, 17inch tires, cargo net/mats, etc.
    We had decided to go through an auto broker to help us find a low mileage used ES 330. When he got back to us he didn't think his service would save us any money. He said low mileage Lexus' don't depreciate very much, so we decided to just buy new. So, today we purchased a Blue Onyx Pearl 330 with CD changer, wood steering wheel, sunshade, heated/cooled seats, 17 in. tires. The MSRP on our car was $34,829, the invoice before delivery charge was $31,144, after delivery charge was $31,319 and we paid $31,445. That is 90.2%MSRP and $126 over invoice after the delivery fee, which I think should be included in the invoice amount since the salesman said it is added to all cars. My husband thinks we probably could have done a little better if we were serious negotiators, but I think we did fine. We were at Park Place Lexus in Plano, Texas--Dallas/Ft. Worth area. That is a very nice dealership and the people were very upfront and easy to work with. Would recommend them any day.
  • es4jbes4jb Member Posts: 17
    Purchased a new 2005 ES330 at Keyes Lexus, Van Nuys, CA. Model included chrome wheels and all options EXCEPT NAV and Mark Levinson Stereo and VSC.
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    Interesting---when I was shopping for a new car for the wife last October, she had decided on an ES. I was pushing for a TL but it was to be her car so she made the decision.
    Noted the '05's were here and that a couple of Chgo. suburban dealers had some '04 demos left over. Thought I could save some big cash by getting a demo...WRONG!!! There were 4-5 demos at two different dealers; 3-5,000 miles each, none with nav. or Levinson.
    I had shopped the suburban dealers for a new '05 and got a couple to go $500 over invoice, about 32k. Thought if I could get an '04 demo for 27k, I'd go that route.
    Incredible, but the best I could get them to do on an '04 was either 31 or 31.5. I even mentioned to them what I could get an '05 for...made no difference, they were "firm" on their price. " We will have no problem selling them for our price" was their comment.
    A "no brainer" for sure...for 500 or so, she gets a new '05 vs. a 3-5k mile '04.
    Needless to say, wifey loves her ES and I gotta admit, it's a great cruiser.
  • roachbuggroachbugg Member Posts: 15
    I am in Maryland also.. Please tell me what Lexus dealership you bought at.
  • roachbuggroachbugg Member Posts: 15
    I live in the Washington DC area, and I am looking at a 05' ES330 w/6500 miles on it. I currently have a car to trade (a Honda w/ 48K miles) I know that I have about 5K in negative equity, but I went to Lexus.com and priced a car (ES330 w/ every option except satellite radio) for 39K. I searched the individual dealer sites, and found a dealer with the car mentioned above for 33,500. If they add my negative equity to the price of the new car- I would pay 38,500. I will pay TTL (2100) out of my own pocket and finance the rest a 5.5% for six years. Does that seem like to much?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thx.
  • dwinerdwiner Member Posts: 13
    Just bought a new 05 for 86.7% MSRP. During the paper signing, we were presented with a personal information sharing disclaimer that stated (no choice to opt out!) that our personal information WOULD be shared with various other businesses. Thank goodness we never gave then an email address, so it's only paper we need to recycle. Anyone have this experience too? Does anyone know how much the dealer receives for selling our personal information?
    I posted in #943 above and paid $31,445 for ES 330 with the premium package only, so we didn't have HID headlights, Nav, or Mark Levinson. We also didn't have the Chrome wheels. It seems the California folks are getting really great deals on their cars. What's going on in California? They said our price was just above invoice.
  • andy2005andy2005 Member Posts: 2
    could you please help me deciding the right price to pay for a lexus 2002 ES300.
    also if i get a car pre owned cerified car how much would that add to cost .
    hope the question is not too vague.
    Thanks in advance
    Sorry, we can't do much better than blue book or Edmund's TMV assessment for predicting used vehicles' prices. It is much easier with new cars because there are many more posters purchasing new cars and the quality and mileage variation among new cars is not nearly as great as it is with used cars.

Were I you, I'd use Kelley blue book value or go to the TMV (True Market Vehicle) pages on this site for help here.
  • olddaveolddave Member Posts: 21
    On April 8, 2005 we purchased a 2005 ES 330 from a Denver metro area dealer. MSRP List was 39,429.00. This was the total price including the "Delivery, processing, and handling fee" on the factory sticker placed on the window. The car has Navigation, Mark Levinson sound, etc. It has almost every option known to man except for SAT radio. Our final negotiated retail price was $34,999.50. This final price included the "Dealer handling fee" of $299.50. Retail price DOES NOT include any taxes, license fees, etc. At the last minute, they tried to charge me for "etched windows" but I offered to kill the deal over that faux paus, and they deleted the charge. We have almost 5000 miles on it now - we just completed a 3900 mile trip to Washington DC and back - it seems like a real nice car.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What kind of mpg are you getting?
  • olddaveolddave Member Posts: 21
    On the trip to Washington D.C. and back, our gas mileage was 26 - 27 mpg. We bought the lowest grade of gas available during the entire trip. When we started the trip, the engine only had about 800 miles on it, so I am not sure it was completely "broken in". I have not reset the mpg display since we returned, so I don't know how the mpg is for in-town driving...

We found the navigation system to be indispensable!! I doubt that I will ever buy another "long trip" car without a nav system. It even took us right to the front door of Frank Lloyd Wright's "Fallingwater" house in rural Mill Run, PA.
  • harlinoharlino Member Posts: 1
    Any recent Seattle deals on an ES330?
  • vetfannyvetfanny Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone gotten a deal in Albany NY?
    Stopped in at the dealer and they did not appear very negotiable.
    They were only knocking around 10% off a demo.
    carsdirect.com shows pricing here at 94% of MSRP.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    "This final price included the "Dealer handling fee" of $299.50."

No offense, but you were taken. There is no such thing as a dealer handling fee. You simply gave the dealer an extra $299.50 of pure profit.
  • 2thdr12thdr1 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for an ES 330, and I have not decided if I want to buy one with the option package that includes the Nav system. Price is a big factor. I live in Jackson, MS, and the dealer here doesn't want to deal so I am willing to drive a little. Could some of you share the prices you paid for cars with or without the Nav. system in the Dallas, Atanta, New Orleans or Memphis areas? Thanks.
  • jones8jones8 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to lease an '05 ES 330 in the Atlanta area. Have never leased before and am trying to figure out what my target price should be if I want monthly lease payments of approximately $400 per mo. Plan to put $1500 down. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.