Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z Problems and Solutions

Comments

• starchecker1starchecker1 Member Posts: 35
    Yes you should have received a TSB in the mail from Nissan stating that they are covering the tires and alignments for the first 3years of ownership, regardless of mileage.

If you bought used from a private party, you may not get the notice, and I am assuming it will be covered 3 years from when the original owner purchased it.

All dealers should know about this by now. So just call them up and schedule. I think they will even cover previous alignments and tires if done through a Nissan Dealership.
  • tacomaboytacomaboy Member Posts: 35
    Well, I have over 5000 miles on the S2000 (I drive a lot) and ZERO problems. I really love this car, it has all the style and spirit the Z had, though its a different style. Its more fun to drive since it handles so damn well, and its a convertible. I bet NO rattling, NO grinds, NO clicks...

knock on wood of course hehe. The only weak link in these cars is supposedly the diff and axles, and they only go if you REALLY abuse the car. But withing 5000 miles on my Z, I was already starting to feather, and my first transmission was grinding in 5th and 6th, and my seat shifted like no-ones business.

The S2000 now has 31k miles on it. Best move I could have made IMO. Well, with gas prices the way they are, a better move might have been to get a diesel hehe.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I miss my Z. :(

I might have an S2K (since I found a used one cheap enough), but, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't fit in it. But that's for an S2K board.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• furlyfurly Member Posts: 5
    ARE U READY FOR THIS AWFUL STORY THAT LEADS ME TO MY 4TH CLUTCH AT 31,000 MILES. BROUGHT 350Z TORUING WITH NAVI 33 MILES AT 3375 FIRST CLUTCH GONE I CANT DRIVE IS WHAT NISSAN SAYS BUT THEY COVERED IT SECOND CLUTCH GONE AT 20,000 MILES I CANT DRIVE AGAIN SO I HAD TO COVER IT 2200 FREAKING DOLLARS AT CHRISTMAS TIME DEC04 NOW ITS OCT 5 AND ITS BACK AT THE SHOP AND GUESS WHAT FOR CLUTCH LOL WELL JUST GOT A CALL THEY GIVING ME A NEW TRANNY BUT OFCOURSE I MUST PLAY FOR THE CLUTCH BECAUSE I CANT DRIVE A MANUAL BUT BEEN DRIVING ONE SINCE I WAS 18 NOW IM 29 NICE TRY NSSAN FIGHTING IN COURT NOW U WANNA MAKE IT BIG LETS HOOK UP ITS A 2003 BY THE WAY
    IM DOOMED
  • clonednaclonedna Member Posts: 4
    I'm back... Well so is my car and as promised here is the out come as of Oct-5-05. They replaced the 2004 Clutch and Flywheel with a 2005 for $2400.00 installed and threw in a 2005 tranny kit for free. One week later the car still has a burning smell especially in idle, 1st or 2nd. The clutch makes noises when shifting from 4th to 5th and downshifting from 6th to 5th.

I had an in dependant Nissan gearhead look at the car, drove it for 30min, and give suggestions. He stated that the synchro gears are faulty and this is a big issue. He too smelled the burning odor and feels that it is a leak of tranny fluid somewhere. Hmmmmmmmm!!!

Well I scheduled time with a different Nissan dealer service dept to investigate. They took the car out for a 10 min run and I went with. The guy who drove the car drove at a break neck speed of 45mph max. Grand ma Moses was driving my HIGH PERFORMANCE SPORTS VEHICLE like it was a senior citizens transportation van. Of course he could find nothing wrong. I switched places with him and took control. He then smelled the burning odor. Right away he stated that I clutch between 1st and 2nd too fast and stated that this is causing the smell (Yeah right) and that the Nissan Z should never be downshifted to slow the speed of the car ( Another yeah right). Unfourtunatly I could not duplicate the grinding (synchrogear) noise. We made it back to the service dept and had a conversation with his boss and it was determined that:

1: I need to slow down my clutching between 1st and 2nd especially starting, and around corners to stop the burning smell and drive at a top speed of 5-10 miles MPH in those gears

2: That the Z was not meant to be downshifted to reduce speed and that only the brakes are viable for this

3: If I am to drive the car hard and fast I should consider getting a 3rd party heavy duty clutch kit (They even recomended Stillen) since the 350Z was not meant to be driven like a sports car should drive ???)

Well I laughed at 1 & 2 above but I took them up on #3 and contacted Stillen. I think the guy I spoke too is still laughing at 1 & 2 but told me for $1100.00 he would put in a heavy duty clutch kit (much like the other 4 Z's on his lot who have the same issues are doing). He did state that he has been getting alot of Nissans w/ similar issues.

On a good note though the Nissan head service guy does side with me and feels there is a bigger problem inside the car other than the driver. They are working though their internal forums, and tech reports and trying to find out why the Z should not be downshifted to slow the car bla bla bla... Wait and see... When I get more updates I will post

CloneDNA
    :confuse:
    GOOD LUCK BABES IM SO DOOMED U GOT ME THINKING IM GONNA HAVE MORE PROBLEMS I BEEN HEARING SO MANY PEOPLE ARE ON 3RD TRANNYS ITS AWFUL I KNOW FOR A FACT DEFECTIVE SYNCS IN THE TRANSMISSION HAS DONE MY CLUTCH IN 4 TIMES AND NISSAN KNOWS IT TWO I ASKED FOR A NISMO CLUTCH AND THEY SAID IT WOULDNT HAVE WARRANTY CAUSE ITS A RACING CLUTCH I SAY NEITHER DOES UR STOCK CLUTCH HAVE WARRANTY I HATE NISSAN HONESTLY ITS NOT THE CLUTCH OR DRIVER ITS ALL TRANNY ISSUES STOP TRYING TO FIND THE PROB I ALREADY KNOW WHAT IT IS DEFECTIVE SYNCS
    Please stop using all CAPS. First of all, in forums, that is interpreted as yelling. And, second of all, it makes your posts VERY HARD TO READ. I suffered through and read the first one, but just skipped the 2nd.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I just wanted to clarify the downshifting issue, since I love to downshift. Are you heal to toe revmatching when you down shift, or just letting the clutch out slowly when you downshift to slow down? If they have an issue with rev matching downshifts, they are full of crap.
  • clonednaclonedna Member Posts: 4
    RevMatching w/ a combo of Heal to toe and letting the clutch out slowly. I follow the RPMs very closly when I drive either upshifting or downshifting...

CloneDNA

;)
  • intenceintence Member Posts: 32
    I've read on other forums that the suspension components of the '05s are slightly different. Can any '05 owners who have started putting the miles on their cars comment on tire feathering issues? What about "late model" '04 (built after March of April of '04)?
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Not only stop using all CAPS, but also PLEASE use punctuation!!! You're posts are very difficult to read!!!!!!
    Guys, I do recommend considering trading in your faulty Zs (if you are on your third tranny) for another car, for example the STI or S2000. No car is perfect, but when you are on your third transmission, its time to dump it. I am SOOO much happier with my S2000. The only noises it makes are the sounds of the engine, and the wind through my hair. The Z sure is a beautiful car, but no matter how beautiful it is, it is one [non-permissible content removed] of a ride.
    I CAN YELL SCREAM ALL I WANT U DONT OWN THE INTERNET LOL GOT MY TRANNY TODAY AND CLUTCH WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PART #008 FEELS HOT LIKE A BRAND NEW PORSCHE WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IM STILL COMING AFTER U NISSAN FOR THE 2 CLUTCHES U MADE ME PURCHASE TO PAY FOR THE TRANNY THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN REPLACED AT 3700 MILES BECAUSE IT WAS DEFECTIVE
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    We can hear you! :D

The point is that all caps is difficult to read and it would be much appreciated by everyone if you "lowered the volume".

Thanks for your cooperation!
    Just because I like you sooooo much, I will let you in on a hint: #008 doesnt help, grind and clutch problems will come back. I give it 5000 miles before it goes, just like it did on mine. Keep the caps lock on!
  • luvcars2luvcars2 Member Posts: 3
    Live in the Midwest and we get a few snow days, was wondering if this car would be good as an everyday car. Plus, with all the problems on clutch, should i just go automatic? thxs for any response
  • jmillsjmills Member Posts: 77
    Clutch problems-Tire Feathering problems-Window motor failures-Transmission failures-

The absolute worlds worst Factory and Dealer service and support in the world.

Do not buy a 350 Z

Wait and get the BMW 2 seater or save your bucks and buy a Cayman.

Nissan will neither fix nor repair any problem and you will end up with a beautiful totally unserviceable car.
    Absolutely loved my Z and had no problems with it (same goes for many many other happy owners I've heard from and met at a meet over the summer).

However, there is NO WAY I can suggest it as a daily driver. Its not all that great in the rain with the stock tires and completely undriveable in the snow. IF you swap out the tires for ones that will handle the rain better, then you could drive it every day that there isn't snow. That's about as good as it gets.

• scott38scott38 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2006 350z. The car is prewired for Satellite radio. Where do I get the components for the radio? I called Nissan service depts and they tell me that 2006 catalogue is not available. Any suggestions on how I can get Sirius radio to work they way it was "pre-wired" for. Thank you.
    The headlights were misaimed and three dealers stated they could not be adjusted.

I finally called Nissan directly and they instructed dealer number three on how to aim them.

The headlights are now properly aimed and work well
    "Absolutely loved my Z and had no problems with it "

Speaking in the past tense?

You no longer have your Z?
  • snwbordr72snwbordr72 Member Posts: 2
    I read all the problems and I am curious are most of the problems coming from the manual version of the 350z. Or are the problems affecting the automatic version too? And are there still problems with the tires on 350z? :confuse:
    Window motors would be all models.

I just spent $525 today to have the passenger window motor replaced, out of warranty, the drivers window motor was replaced a few months ago under warranty.

The front suspension problems are also probably applicable to all models.

Transmission complaints seem to be limited to the manual transmission.

I still own my 350Z track after 28 months and 41,000 miles because I love the way it drives - BUT - I have never owned any car with as many problems or as poor service from the factory and dealers.

This is the fifth new car I have owned in four years and would not be a heartache if the factory and dealers were interested in giving decent service. Nissan will go to any lengths to keep from replacing/repairing under warranty.

I am planning on getting rid of my albatross as soon as the BMW Z4 coupe is available, I will certainly never reccomend any Nissan product to anyone- except possibly to my worst enemy!!!
    correct. I, unfortunately, gave it up about 2 months ago (i think it was about 2 months) for financial/baby-on-the-way reasons. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

So sorry to hear you had to give it up.

The Baby is certainly well worth the sacrifice!!!

You can always get another Z , with all the problems corrected, later.
  • snwbordr72snwbordr72 Member Posts: 2
    I used to own a Nissan Maxima and never had any problems with that vehicle. Does anybody have problems with their 350z convertible with the automatic transmission? Doesn't matter if it is 04' or 05' model. I read both good and bad on this forum and want to make an intelligent choice before buying one.
    oh sure, i'm definitely more excited about the baby.

But I can't help that i get a little verklempt (spelling??) when i see a Z on the road.

Understandable - but - you are also going to miss the many problems associated with this design.

When you get ready to get another Z they will probably have worked them out and it will be as reliable as it is good looking.

I just dropped $525 yesterday to get the passenger window motor replaced, no longer in warranty.

The drivers window was previously replaced under warranty.

So in fact your sacrifice is probably a very fortunate occurance!!!
    c'mon jmills, not EVERYONE experiences problems with their Z. I was certainly not guaranteed to run into the issues you have. As a matter of fact, I'm confident I wouldn't have. But, of course, we'll never know for sure. Pity.

• gotzgotz Member Posts: 2
    I traded in my '04 manual transmission in May '05 due to a bad clutch that Nissan would not take care of except if I gave them $2400. Then they would not guarantee that it wouldn't go out in 500, 5,000, or 10,000 miles again. Everyday I see a lot of Z's and it really hurts because it is the first and only car that I have absolutely loved to drive. Nobody seems to understand except fellow Z owners. My friends and family think that I am just whining but it was truly a fun and awesome car to drive. Maybe in a couple of years I will buy an automatic. I don't know.

Steve
    2003 Nissan 350 Z - Track
    Front tires force balanced due to cupping/feathering at 2000 miles.
    Front tires replaced because force balance failed to correct problem- Nissan states problem due to incorrect alignment at factory.
    Unable to get headlights aimed by three dealers in two states-they all said the headlights are not adjustable. Headlights aimed after I called Nissan and they instructed last dealer.
    Drivers window motor failed- replaced under warranty -
    Gas gauge/fuel pump defective-replaced under warranty -
    Auto dimming rear view mirror defective- replaced after arbitration with national BBB because Nissan refused to send Factory rep to check after two dealers said it was ok even though it would not dim and they would not take it to try driving at night- Now works properly.
    Dealer charged me for alignment-even though still within 24 month alignment period which has now been extended to 36 months- Nissan to refund- still waiting for refund eight weeks later-after faxing bill to Nissan twice.
    Passenger window motor defective -replacement cost $525 - Car two years old with 40,000 miles.
    Worst transmission of all cars listed - extremely difficult to shift-notchy- Latest Nissan dealer states that it is "Race type" transmission and that is why it is so difficult to shift.
    Over 100 individuals have filed formal owner complaints with the NHTSA -No other vehicle has anywhere near this number of complaints.
    National class action lawsuit pending.
    It is a terrible shame that such a beautifully is so poorly built and so terribly supported.
    I already know the problems you've had. How could I not?

My assertion still stands ... not EVERYONE has those problems. And, believe it or not, MANY folks have NO problems. As always, those with problems are much louder than those without ... stands to reason, of course.

I'm really not trying to belittle your bad experience. I truly feel bad for you. But, at the same time, its certainly not fair for you to say they are all junk and nobody should buy one because they absolutely will have problems. Its just not true.

Cars are very complex devices and will probably experience problems. We all live with that fact.

However the manner in which these problems are corrected is the determining factor.

There is a action suit in progress against Nissan because of the manner in which they addressed the suspension problems.

How many other automakers have had class action lawsuits filed against them.

Take a look at the NHTSA web site- No other car has even close th the number and variety of user complaints.

However my complaint is NOT the Car it is Nissan and their dealers.

Nissan has consistantly failed to correct the suspension problems.

Nissan has consistantly denied the existence of clutch and transmission problems.

My complaint is not that my car has problems - It is the fact that No attempt has ever been made by Nissan to actually correct their suspension or transmission or variety of other problems- they just ignore or stone wall the problems until most people give up.

Enough owners have reported problems that Consumer Reports removed their check mark of approval from the 2003 Z - Keep an eye on their ratings and you will probably see the same happen to the 2004/2005 as their problems are reported.

If the problems with my car had been corrected without multiple complaints to Nissan and the BBB I would have no complaint - They were not.

I certainly do not say all 350 Z's are junk!!

I do certainly say Nissan factory service and dealers are substandard.
  • jkilcullenjkilcullen Member Posts: 3
    The 350Z is a terrific car. If Nissan would just acknowledge and address the 3 major problems, Suspension, tires, and Clutch/transmission. I swear once the lease is up on this Car I will never ever, ever buy a Nissan vehicle again. Nissan North America along with its dealers should be ashamed of themselves.
    I agree with you completely.

It is a terrible shame that such a potentially terrific car has such deplorable service and factory support.

I too will never buy any Nissan product of any kind whenever possible,and will do everything within my power to keep others from purchasing Nissan,
    See, its that last statement that i just don't completely follow. I really don't wish for any company to go out of business, and that is what you are saying, you want nobody to buy any, so they would inevitably fold. Its just not something I want to see. In my opinion, we've already lost too many companies here in the states that I pine for.

I have never - repeat never- dealt with any reputable company which refused to have a factory service representative meet with me and look at their product.

Nissan absolutely REFUSED to arrange to have a factory service rep look at my car.

Any company which acts in that manner is not reputable and deserves to suffer.

We have not lost any companies in this country that did not deserve to go out of business.

Companies who do not provide quality products and good service do not deserve our support.

In point of fact, since this is a French owned and run Japanese company, and the product was designed and built in Japan, your concern is ill placed.

I would also point out that my 2004 Mazda 3 5 door assembled in Japan, which is 15 months old with 35,000 miles,my 2002 Acura RSX type S, and our 2002 Subaru Outback, have not experienced a single problem or failure of any kind and have received superb dealer and factory service.

So obviously there are still Quality Japanese auto manufacturers and dealers, unfortunately that just does not include Nissan or it's dealers.
  • bgreen3bgreen3 Member Posts: 2
    You just summed up what everybody else thinks. You lost ALL of your credibility. Why in the world would you LEASE a car in the 1st place? My Z is great. It's 3 years old and never had a problem.
  • bgreen3bgreen3 Member Posts: 2
    I agree about the dealers. I've had my pathfinder in and out for a month now trying to get the AC to turn off. No Luck. The service department is terrible... Good luck to the future parents!
  • calgenecalgene Member Posts: 5
    I am an owner of an '03 350 purchased in May of 03. I currently have 65K miles, I suffered the front end alignment issues which lead to cupping of the tires, which caused tire growl.

I went to the dealer about this at 10K and they said they were cheap tires and I needed new tires. They did check the alignment and said it was at factory specs and it helped somewhat.

At 38K, I replaced the tires with Michelin Pilot Sports All Season, though pricey, the car handled like a new car, I could not believe tires could make that much difference in the handling of a vehicle. To this day, I do not understand why Nissan, would put those RE040s on the car.

My next problem occured this summer when the passenger window motor started acting up, the dealer said the motor is bad, and a new one would cost around $400. The window will go up and down; however, if it goes all the way down, it will not come back up, you have to bang on the lower inside of the door, and then the window will go up. But it will go up and then come back down and stop halfway. So for now I just keep it up and do'nt use it.

Just this past week, I noticed that one of my driver side front speakers appears to have a short in it. That doesn't bother me too much, cause I had planned on replacing the speakers.

From where I sit, it appears that the Z was a new design from top to bottom, and most experts will say you do not buy a new design in the first year because they will have bugs in them, you wait until the second year after most of the bugs have been worked out.

So after 65K, it may cost me around a $800, for the window and new speakers, and the tires werre 850 for a set of 4 at 38K miles, so I'm not complaining. However if I had an '04 or later, I probably would be, since I feel that Nissan would have had enough time to work out the bugs.

This is my second Z, I have an '80 280 on blocks in the garage. I've also owned 2 Accords, and both were excellent in terms of build quality reliability,

I am currently deciding whether to purchase an '06 Roadster, or an '06 G 35. Coupe.

I can understand the feelings of someone who has gotten a lemon and the shaft from his local dealer, and if that had happened to me, I wouldn't purchase a Nissan product and would advise my friends also. That being said, I believe that overall Nissan makes extremly good cars. If I had to rank the top cars, and using quality, reliablity. I would have Honda and Toyota tied, with Nissan following closely behind. If I ranked based on performance, I would have Nissan followed closely by Isuzu.
    Because I have the 350 Z track I cannot use the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my Z- they do not make the tire in 18 inch sizes to fit it. I put them on our 04 Mazda 3 and they are awesome.

We owned an older Nissan Sentra which was extremely reliable, went 175,000 miles before we replaced it.

I really like the 350 Z, my only complaint is the Extremely poor dealer and factory service.
  • dchiltondchilton Member Posts: 3
    The dealer has to be part of the purchase decision. As far as this product (350Z Touring, automatic) goes it is excellent. I have had no problem with the Z. I do run Michelin pilot tires. I have 89k on my 2003 and have had no problems. Just had brake pads replaced and they turned the rotors, and 83k on my Volvo they replace the rotors. I've had many Nissans and I have a great relationship will the dealer. My 86'Z has 184k and is still going strong, everything still works on it, even the clock still works. I did have a problem with a transmission is a 94' Pathfinder and Nissan replaced it at no cost to me. I have an 06' Frontier on order to replace my 03' Frontier, sticking with my Nissans. If I replace the Volvo it will be with a Maxima. My car plan calls for a Roadster in '07.
    We have not lost any companies in this country that did not deserve to go out of business.

That's certainly a matter of opinion. I'd LOVE to have Alfa back, for one. My '86 Spider is quite reliable at almost 20 years old and approaching 100k miles. I wasn't even aware such a company existed when they were selling new cars here in the states, but it is my understanding that the poor dealer network contributed greatly to their demise ... Nissan certainly has a stronger presence than Alfa ever did, however.

I'm glad to see some supporters and those who have not had reliability problems coming forth. Its a shame when someone researches a car and finds nothing but negative comments when there really are many many happy owners out there.

Alpha - owned by Fiat - is reported to be in the process of re-entering the US market in 2006/2007.

Poor dealer networks, as you state, can certainly result in withdrawal from the market, as can a poorly designed or executed product.

Unfortunately the manufacturer is still responsible for their dealer network' and deserves to succeed or fail based on their performance.

Twenty years and 100,000 miles certainly speaks well of your Alpha and is a far more valid judgment of a product than that of one who owned a car for a few months and a few thousand miles.
    I'm not banking on Alfa coming back. I think the early reports were 2004, then it was bumped to 2006, then 2007. I think I read 2010 at one point. Who the heck knows. But now that GM pulled the plug on their deal with Fiat, I've stopped holding my breath. Too bad. :(

"Sergio Marchionne, the Italian-Canadian finance expert who took over Fiat Auto , plans to bring Alfa Romeo back to the United States as soon as 2007, say suppliers and others. Until it left the U.S. market in 1995, Alfa Romeo had sold cars there since 1952.
    Alfa executives plan to recruit established U.S. dealers. They believe Maserati's U.S. network is too small and too upscale" Per Autoweek Magazine
    one can only hope.

I'm afraid their current FWD setups are going to hurt them here, however, at their (most likely) high pricepoint. Their hatchback (is it still the 147?) could be a good alternative to a Volvo V50 or Audi A3 ... BUT, a FWD spider for, say $45k, is going to pale in comparison to a 350z, for instance (like how i brought us back to the topic? ;) ).

Glad to hear the Michelin's gave you no headaches. If I may make a suggestion on your 06 decision, I can't recommend the Roadster enough. From strictly a looks standpoint I think the Z blows away the G's, but I know others who think the opposite. However, from a thrill aspect, I think the Roadsters can't be touched. I debated between the Coupe and the Roadster(I always wanted a Roadster, but wasn't sure about the cost). All I can say is that about 80% of the thrill of my Z is with the top down. I literally get chills everytime I think how close I came to getting the coupe instead.

I'm sure it depends on where you live, I live in Denver and still get to go top down year round. The aerodynamics make driving topless at 50 degrees and sunny not a problem at all.

That's my opinion, but I think the Roadster is worth every extra cent and then some!
  • calgenecalgene Member Posts: 5
    When I was looking back in '03 my decision came down between the G and the Z. I was considering the G cause there are times when I need a back seat. However, I never got to drive the G, and the Nissan salesman was friendlier, and bent over backwards for me. And as I mentioned when I drove the Z it was over!

I live outside of Virgina Beach and the weather is great with mild winters, my only concern with the roadster, is that I am 6'4" and I wonder if the wind will be blowing all in my face and around my head. Anyway, I do plan on test driving a roadster, and if all goes right, I will purchase one in January, where I expect they will just be sitting on the lot until springtime when they will become a hot commodity.
This discussion has been closed.