Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z Problems and Solutions

Comments

• starchecker1starchecker1 Member Posts: 35
    I am 6'2", but I actually sit taller than some of my 6'4" friends. The aerodynamics are great on the car, but I definitely get the hair blown look after driving it with the top down.

The height issue is what really helped me to decide on the roadster. The coupe actually rubbed the top of my hair, the roadster actually has a little more headroom with the top up.
  • calgenecalgene Member Posts: 5
    Now that's interesting, I have plenty of head room in the coupe. However; when I sat in the G with the sunroof, my head almost touched the roof, which really surprised me. I had expected the G to be roomier.
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    The December issue of Road & Track has info on the tire wear issue. It's a response to a reader question on their long term test vehicle, a 2003 IIRC. Their solution was to add MORE toe, on the theory that the suspension bushings were softer than spec'd, which allows more compression, altering the alignment. They had to work with a suspension shop, as the amount of toe they needed was beyond the allowable limits from Nissan, and the dealer woouldn't do it.
  • calgenecalgene Member Posts: 5
    Hmmm, gee I don't know about that one. Last November, I purchased a 4 Michelin Pilot/Sport All Seasons. Prior to having them installed I took the car in to the dealer in Norfolk Va, and they did a 4 wheel computer laser alignment. Well that was about 27K miles ago, and no feathering, or tire roar.

When they did the alignment, they gave me a printout of the readings before and after the alignment. Prior to the alignment, the car was way out of spec. When they finished it was back in spec. Now what I didn't ask, was did they spec it out to the new specs. Based on what I've been hearing, Nissan changed the specs.

One of the things that I have found with with my Nissan Dealer's maintenance people, is that they must have been given the company "party line" when it comes to the Z. I was told that "they put cheap tires on the car, that's why you get the feathering and tire roar" Well at around 200 a pop, I don't think they're cheap tires. Another time, I was told, "Well the suspension on the car is very temperamental, you'll have to get it aligned every 6 months, or 6K miles." Yeah right.
  • groenlogroenlo Member Posts: 2
    If you have never had any problem with your Mazda, your Acura, or your Subaru, how can you comment on the factory support for those cars? Do you demand factory support even for products that are performing flawlessly? "Hello, this is gbrozen. I just wanted to tell you I am delighted with my Mazda/Acura/Subaru, and I demand to see a factory representative about it"?

What is really going on here?
  • jmillsjmills Member Posts: 77
    What is going on here?

I am commenting on Nissan factory support because they refused to send a factory rep to look at my rear view mirror. I had to go to the BBB and arbitration to get it replaced. The arbitrator had an ASE certified tech check the mirror and declared it defective, and Nissan finally replaced the mirror.

My 350Z has had two defective window motors-one in and one out of warranty which cost me $550.

My 350Z had a defective gas gauge.

My 350Z is on its third set of front tires due to feathering problems which Nissan has not been able or perhaps willing to correct.

I am commenting on the fact that I had to go to four different dealers in two states and finally call the factory to get my head lights aligned.

I was told a by Nissan Factory rep that I must find a dealer to declare the problems, that unlike other car manufacturers they do not send factory reps to look at cars.

I did contact the Factory with Questions on my Acura and on the Subaru.

I received an immediate concerned response from both Acura and Subaru.

I contacted Mazda factory support concerning the availability of a roof rack, and again received an immediate response.

I have no complaints with my Acura,Mazda, or Subaru dealers, they know the cars and service them superbly.

It has taken me two years and six dealers to find a Nissan dealer which gives satisfactory service.

Now-What exactly is realy going on with you?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    whoa!

why is my name in that quote? Are you talking to Jmills or to me???

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mike124mike124 Member Posts: 2
    I live in a area that gets ice for about 3 months out of the year. I'm worried the automatic window down feature when you open door is going to break something due to window froze. Any help? First time on a forum.
    the motor really isn't strong enough to break anything. It just won't be able to lower if the ice is thick enough to hold the window in place.

happens all the time on any car with power windows. You get in and, for some reason (maybe paying a toll), you try to use the power window and it gives out a little grunt, but just won't lower. No harm, no foul.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mike124mike124 Member Posts: 2
    Questioning the automatic let down of windows when you open doors if the windows are frozen over with ice. Seems this would cause something to break inside door. Any ideas? Anybody have issues with this. Haven't had Z for only 1 month, first encounter with this. Any way to override this feature temporarily?
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    wow no activity for nearly a month then 6 posts! :)
  • groenlogroenlo Member Posts: 2
    My apologies gbrozen. Yes, I was talking to Jmills. I am new to the discussion board and picked the wrong hyperlink for my response.
  • siphuzsiphuz Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 Pikes Peak White Touring and like man of you, i have had the tire feathering problem in which i had the front tires replaced as well as an alignment in accordance with the bulletin. it has been over 5,000 miles so far and the problem has not returned, however i avoid pot-holes and cracks in the road like the avian virus because i fear that it may throw-off the alignment causing the feathering to re occur. What's the longest anyone has gotten, mileage wise, before having to get the problem corrected again??

I was also toying with the idea of replacing my wheels with deep-dish premium wheels and of course the question of whether or not the tire plays a role in the feathering, or is it just the alignment, comes to me as a concern. Then there's the 19" upgrade notion and how will this affect the potential feathering issue. I would much appreciate any insight from anyone who has replaced their wheels - negative or positive.

Lastly, can anyone describe the so called "choppy transmission"? I too am noticing that the transition from 1st gear to 2nd isn't quite so smooth. Are you guys experiencing any noises, ie. crunching, or grinding?? I am wondering if i should address this to my dealer or is it just how it is with all Z's.

Is it wrong to love my Z more than my girlfriend...i think not!
    How do you like the Michelin Pilot sport A/S on your Z?

Do they handle and respond as well as the original Bridgestones?

I have been considering the Michelins because of the higher wear number and would appreciate any input you can give me.
    The tire feathering does not seem to reduce mileage, it just gets very noisy.

I am on my third set of front tires, from Nissan.

Nissan warrants the alignment for 36 months from your date of purchase and unlimited mileage, so Nissan dealers should re-align at no cost.

Nissan will replace feathering tires,prorating for tread depth on the OEM tires and wheel only, so I would stay with the factory wheels and tires until the 36 month limit.

My transmission has always been "crunchy" from first to second. If you have a very good dealer I would ask them to look at it.

Some people say they get new transmissions- some are told that is just the way it is live with it.
    I know the feathering does not reduce mileage, but what i meant was - how soon did you have to come back to the dealer and have to do the TSB alignment and replace the tires again? I had mine completed at about 19,000 miles and now i am at 25,000 miles with no sign of feathering so far (Thank god).

On another note - has anyone put on a grounding wire kit on their Z yet? They say that you can get at least 5 hp gains and added torque, but i was wondering if anyone can back that up. Thinking about buying the NISMO or Stillen brand, but they are around $120 a pop. :confuse:
    My tires were replaced the first time with about 18k on them and the second time with 20k on the tires.

Everything I have seen on 350Z forums indicates absolutely no horsepower gain from grounding wire kits when checked before and after on dynomometers!!!

Sounds like a waste of money based on the forums and independent Dyno tests.

Since independent Dyno test by SportZ mag show a max of 8 HP gain with true dual exhausts, it is extremely difficult to see how wires could ever gain 5HP
  • 350zguy350zguy Member Posts: 2
    Wow! I can't believe all these posts on here. I took my 2005 350z to Nissan last week. Had to have a new clutch at 12,000 easy driving miles. Of course, not covered under the warranty. I've had the car back 5 days and about 450 miles later, the clutch is going out again. This is the 11th z car i've had, but it will be my last one.
  • 350zguy350zguy Member Posts: 2
    Please tell me the lawyer's name.....i think I'm going to need him!
  • blawsonblawson Member Posts: 19
    Do you have the 5 or 6 speed manual transmission? I am looking at getting a 2006 Z but may not due to all the problems with the suspension and transmission. I am trying to figure out if the problem with the transmission is limited to the 5 speed manuals?

Have you had the feathering issue on your 2005?
    there is no 5-speed manual.

Its either a 6-speed stick or 5-speed auto.

Thanks, my mistake. I was hoping the transmission & feathering issues had clearly been taken care of with the 06's. From the posts, it seems like there a fewer issues with the newer models, although it seems some still have problems.

It a shame. I learned to drive on a 240z. Being 6' 4" tall I had just about given up on ever owning a Z until the latest re-design. Now I can fit comfortably in the car, there are quality issues. Perhaps I will have to give it some time to see how the 06's shake out......
    its tough to know.

It seems like the problems went down each year ... but is that just because the problems have yet to surface on the newer models? Obviously, the '03s have been out the longest and accumulated the most miles, so they are showing the most problems.

You just have to decide if its enough to scare you off. There are plenty of happy problemless owners out there. Every car model has its issues to contend with.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It is a really nice car. I may go for it but get an extended warranty. We shall see....
    The 350Z cannot be matched by any other car at the price.

It is a superb two seat sports car.

If you can find a very good dealer who will address any problems you will love the car.

BUT before you buy one make sure you thoroughly investigate the dealers in your area to make sure they provide good warranty service.

You can try http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/ and question people in your are to get info on dealers in your area.

The 2005 & 2006 seem to have very few problems and are still check rated by CU.
    Thanks Jmills. I look forward to getting my order in very soon. I will probably go to the same dealer I use for my 2002 Pathfinder. Although I didn't buy the Pathfinder there, I have used them for service/parts and have been pretty satisfied. I am going to get either the Track or Grand Touring models. I will drive both then decide.

I will check the website to see what they have to say about that specific dealer and others in the area.
    If you go to http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/ ,register, and post an inquiry concerning the dealer you are considering you should get good insight into their performance.

I purchased the 2003 Track Z new in July of 2003, because I did not want leather seats and I wanted the performance/handling options.

After 2&1/2 years and 45,000 I still love the way the car drives and handles.

I have had no problems with the clutch or transmission,though it is sometimes somewhat crunchy between first and second gear,which may well be due to my failure to fully depress the clutch.

Just make sure you have an excellent service department and you will have no problem with the car even if you have to get work done under warranty.
    i had the same issue with mine being "crunchy." But it only happened when the car was somewhat cold. After being fully warmed up (ie, after about 15 minutes of driving), it worked great. I just learned to shift slow and deliberately until then.

It just never bothered me because its the EXACT same way in my '86 Alfa Romeo. Funny how some things in high-strung cars never change. ;)

• alz350zalz350z Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 350z with 14,800 miles at this time.Nissan replaced my tires at 11,000 miles with the new potenza's.So far so good but I'm not sure this is a permanent fix, only time will tell.Therefore I would like to know what attorney you are using.
  • azlatothazlatoth Member Posts: 1
    I have seen so many of these postings. And now it's my turn. I just got off the phone with Nissan, and they told me that my 2004 350z with just over 10k miles on it needs a new clutch and there is a chance a new flywheel. That the cost for repairs could range from 1100 to 2200 $'s. This is crazy! I only drive the car around town! I am no mechanic, but I've driven manual transmission cars all my life and never had a problem like this. Actually, I’ve never had to have a clutch replaced. I called Nissan USA and they have sent this matter to the regional "reviewer". Not sure what that is but they said they will get back to me by COB tomorrow. Talk about stressing out.

Based on the myriad of posts regarding this matter I am guessing Nissan has a serious problem or future recall on their hands. The only problem is I don’t want to wait another year and pay $1100 to $2200 out of my pocket now.

I wonder if the fact that I have a 3 month old Nissan Murano sitting in the garage will have influence on their decision making process.
  • mlm350zmlm350z Member Posts: 1
    I think I have you beat. I just bought a 2006 touring 350Z, manual transmission. I was so excited because I had been saving and planning for a while - looks like I missed some important information on the 350Z. I've had the car for less than 2 monthsnow, and had to take it in to the dealership after 1 month because it was making some clunking noises in the lower gears when shifting or pushing the clutch in.

The dealership tells me, after evaluating my car for the morning, that THEY NEED TO REPLACE THE DRIVESHAFT. You can imagine my surprise! :surprise: They treated me pretty well, but now, after the replacement, the car sounds worse than it did before, making the same sounds, and more!

Needless to say I haven't been happy with this purchase so far, and I'm disappointed in Nissan. Now my fine tuned sports car sounds like it has rocks in the transmission whenever I shift. It also now winds down when I have the clutch pushed in (all the way)when I coast up to a stop sign or light. From the postings on this list, it sure seems like an engineering problem with the car.

I have plans to take it back in when I can afford to take the time to get the car fixed. :(

Does anyone know if the trasnmission/clutch issues are only happening in the manual transmissions, or are they also in the automatic 350Z as well?
  • scootnyscootny Member Posts: 8
    ... stays on at the brightest level once the engine is running - even when the park and headlights are off. Is this normal. I have a 2003 base 350z.
    Can you dim the instrument lights when the headlights are on?

If so then the instrument lights are working correctly, if you cannot dim instrument lights with headlights on then it is not operating correctly.
  • burnnspyburnnspy Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 05 350Z Redline base model 6spd last November, I wanted minimal electronics in my ride since they are prone to problems in the future.

While doing the second oil change at work ( Jaguar/ Subaru dealership), my Subaru techs informed me I needed an alignment because my rear tires were cupping. I was shocked since I only had 6200 miles on the tires and drive like Miss Daisy. I drove a 1990 300ZX for 3-4 years between tires and had never heard of cupping until then.

I did an internet search on cupping and was floored when I saw that I may have just been sold a poorly engineered vehicle/suspension.

When I took the car to Crown Nissan in Greensboro, the service advisor stated the wear was very good for the mileage I had and the car didnt need an alignment.

Our Subaru techs are car enthusiast and one a weekend racer and I trust their opinion on the tires and alignment.

Not getting a warn fuzzy feeling about my car, but other then the tires im not having any other problems yet.
    i have not read of problems with rear tires.

My 2003 Track Z has had multiple alignments in the past year by Nissan and the rear alignment has always been slightly off.
    I got 32,000 miles out of my first set of OEM rear tires and the Pole position S03's that replaced them are worn unevenly in the center after 14,000 miles, even though they have been run at the Manufacturers 35PSI. I am on my third set of front tires due to the Nissan Cupping problem.
    It would seem that the 350 Z's have multiple suspension problems

Since you work at a Subaru dealer can't you get your Z aligned there?
    In view of the fact that Subaru is an all wheel drive vehicle I would think your Subaru techs are better at alignment than Nissan and certainly you can trust their judgment better than Nissan's
    if you have wear in the center of your tires, that is typically an overinflation problem. When exactly do you have 35 psi in the tires? When they are cold, warm, or hot? Do you have the TPMS? If so, what pressure readings are your rear tires giving after an hour of hard driving?

I am familiar with the causes of tire wear.
    The Bridgestone SO3's were run at the factory reccomended pressure of 35 psi cold as measured with an accutire digital gauge and Nissan tpms which agree.
    The OEM Bridgestone REO 40's were run at the same reccomended 35 PSI and had an even wear pattern. I Have , as a result of the uneven wear,dropped the rear tire pressure to 33 PSI cold and anticipate the tires will now wear more uniformly.
    well, if they wore evenly, why, in your previous post, did you say the rear alignment has always been slightly off?

I was surprised when they wore in the middle-caught me totally by sunrise since they are the exact same size as the OEM - just a higher speed and better performance rating on Tire Rack, and both are Bridgestone.
    If they had been different in any way I would have watched them more closely and caught it quicker. I expect to see them even out now that I have reduced the pressure.
    I have had two four wheel alignments by two different dealers in the past two months and they showed slight rear misalignment which may have aggravated the wear.
    The last alignment was by an excellent Nissan Dealer I finally lucked out and found- Gwinnet Place Nissan- they did a superb job, certainly wish I had gone to them over a year ago, I probably would not have had most of the problems I have encountered.
    Since I got 32000 out of OEM I expected at least that out of these. I will probably switch to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S when the 36 month alignment extension from Nissan expires, until then I will stay with the OEM on the front as recommended by the Dealer, since Nissan will only replace feathered OEM tires.
    are there any adjustments in the rear? What did they do, if anything, to correct it?

i agree about keeping the OEM ... as long as they are free. I think they are horrible tires. I never found the grip to be very good in dry, wet, or snow. But, like you said, they won't replace non-OEM under warranty (which is pretty suspicious, if you ask me ... they blame the tire design, but won't let the owners change tires ... hmmmmm).

good luck with the dealer you found.

Is everyone experiencing a slight consistant clapping noise from the engine when ever in idle, which increases in speed as the throttle is pressed? It is later drown out by the Engine noise at higher RPMs. At first i thought it was normal, but now i am starting to get worried. The noise has never increased over time, but now i am questioning whether or not this affects every Z. It sounds like when u put a piece of tape on a fan and let it spin. Any advise would help! Thanx! :confuse:
  • 7thgear7thgear Member Posts: 1
    hi all!

i'm new to the forum and also buying my 1st car. i've lately been trying to increase my knowledge and i'm considering a purchase of an '05 350.

i must admit i'm a little timid after reading in this forum. i need to ask based on what this site has on the '05 350 z as the 'low true cost to own' car. i saw a few posts that suggest the engine noises, transmission issues above.

not to agitate anybody or disrespect an opinion but what about the warranty? did it take care of you? my purchase of this car will be only recreation. weekends, holidays & maybe a trip to get a burger.

i've been at this quest for about 5 years saving up and i had my sights on a boxster s but called around to find it was an expensive car to maintain. 30k, 60k, 90k oil changes on that thing is around $1k from the dealer. i would need a trusted mechanic to battle that price.

i know this forum is for problems only but to all that posted so visciously is there any light in the tunnel for us that are considering an '05 z?

:confuse:
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, 7thgear,

Because this is a Problems & Solutions discussion, most of the posts you'll see here will concern problems. To get an overall view of owner experiences with this car, you might also want to visit the two discussions below:

Nissan 350Z
    Nissan 350Z: Meet the Owners

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• nolamannolaman Member Posts: 3
    WHEN I RAISE MY WINDOW AFTER REACHING THE TO IT AUTOMATICALY MOVES DOWN ABOUT ON THIRD. SOMETIMES AS I CLOSE THE DOOR I WATCH THE WINDOW POWER ON THIRD THE WAY DOWN. IT IS NOT FALLING, IT IS MOVING DOWN BY THE MOTOR. I HAVE TO GET BACK IN THE CAR AND GO THROUGH THE PROCESS OF POWERING UP THE WINDOW AGAIN. SOMETIMES IT STAYS UP.
    I HEAR THERE IS A STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE I CAN RESET THE LOGIC IN THE WINDOW. I TOOK IT INTO NISSAN 15K MILES AGO AND THEY FIXED IT AND IT IS DOING IT AGAIN AND I AM OUT OF WARRANTY.
    PLEASE HELP.
    THANKS,
    NOLA
  • ambergrlambergrl Member Posts: 4
    The whole body of my car; bumper to bumper is out of alignment. I don't mean it "pulls", the hood and trunk dont appear to fit properly on the car. I took it to Nissan and it was subleted to an Auto Body Shop. Gaps might be smaller in the original places, but now I have gaps in new areas. My driver door does not close properly and the panel sounds like it is flexing when driven over speed bumps or driveways. The car has under 10,000 miles and and has spent 15 days in the shop. Nissan said all 350z ROADSTERS have this unfixable problem! Anyone suffering from similar problems? PLEASE ADVISE!!
  • polo2polo2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Nissan 350Z and went for an alignment. I was told that the front wheels camber was about 1
    1/4 angle and that is should be about 1/2. At about 16K a have no wear on my tires, but was told that the angle will only get worse with use. They could not adjust the front camber. My question is, does any body know what are the factory specs and limits for the front camber and how they can be adjusted? By the way, I was told by a Nissan dealer that the alignmet is not covered by the warranty. I find this hard to believe and should investigate further.
  • carla909carla909 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem as you do with my drivers window. The only thing I have figured out is to hold the button up until you hear a little click sound then turn off your car. It is a pain in the butt. I plan to have it serviced soon so I will write you back when I find out what to do. Or have you had any luck finding out? Thanks, Carla
  • nolamannolaman Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Carla,
    I brought the car in before and they fixed the problem, That was about eight months ago and about 18,000 miles age.
    Now it is doing it again and it is not in warranty. Nissan wants $90.00 minimum to fix it. I have an extended warranty policy and I found out it is not covered. Not really happy about that.
    I do what you recommended and I do hear the click. Try to explain that to a valet. Also, sometimes the window powers down when I close the door. I have going out in the morning and found my window partially down, glad it didn't rain.
    Once again thanks,
    nolaman
  • 350zproblems350zproblems Member Posts: 3
    Well, you better check brake maintenance. I have a 350z '03 and brakes were replaced at 15k and now again at 30k. I'm trying to find out if any other 03 owners are having the same problem?????? Someone please help!!! I can't be the only one??
This discussion has been closed.