Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TSX vs Acura TL

Comments

• johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    The TSX is a nice car but its 4 cyl engine seems to have gotten passed by by technology-driven 6 cyls that have the low end punch but also deliver good gas mileage and low emissions.

And yet the car is an absolute blast to drive. What difference does it make if six bangers have more power? It does not change the fact that the TSX is an excellent sport sedan.

Technology-driven 6 cyls? The K24 may be the most advanced production NA four available. No lack of technology there.

Again, a couple of opinion-laced posts from individuals who likely don't own the car, but sure seem to know all about it.
  • am153am153 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks all for your help.

I've settled on the TL without NAV in copper color. I love the color, but the only choice was that or white. Either would be fine. The car drives fine, and I'm looking forward to learning about all the features.

Thankfully, I don't go through buying cars very often.

Good choice, the TL. :D
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    The copper color? Huh? You mean carbon bronze (my favorite)?
  • am153am153 Member Posts: 10
    Carbon bronze it is; you are correct.

Several people at the dealership (I presume they were customers) also said that carbon bronze was their favorite color. It is now my favorite, too.

This some awsome car.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Congrats on your new TL :)
    Is the carbon bronze sort a copper color?
  • bmoff84bmoff84 Member Posts: 15
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking at the three options in the title and I am leaning towards the TSX or the Accord right now (mostly for $$ reasons). I currently drive a '01 Toyota Solara which seems to have a lot of torque for a 3.0 L V6. I like how the TSX drives overall, but during a test drive could not ascertain whether it feels quicker than my current car. I am afraid that if I owned the TSX, I would be disappointed with the power, but maybe not.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I'm thinking that now is the time to get a good deal on a TSX with it being winter in the midwest and the new TSX just around the corner. The reasons I don't want an Accord are because everyone has one, the stereo isn't very good, and there is no manumatic shift feature. Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might have a look at this discussion also: Honda Accord vs Acura TSX.

Welcome! :)
    Oddly, I had a similar experience when I test drove the TSX, it felt very similar in ride to my Camry, but much more nimble.
  • gdoctsx1gdoctsx1 Member Posts: 60
    Well, I'd view that as a good thing. The Camry has great suspension and a great road feel without being too firm. I've never owned a camry, but have been a passenger in a few models over the years and thought it was very smoothe. Lateral acceleration .76g for the camry and .83g for the TSX. Comparable ride quality to a Sedan like the Camry and much more percise corner and passing capabilities makes it all the more appealing to get a TSX. Camry is a great car. Just more boring than watching paint dry to look at.

Buick Lucerne CXL and Mercury Montego Premier seem to be direct competition
  • rsobinrsobin Member Posts: 8
    I just traded my 2001 PT Cruiser, 6 years old, for a 2007 new TSX.

Why? I was considering a new hardtop retractable Mazda Miata XM-5. But my wife had problems getting in and out of it for health reasons. Only could take one other person of course. I have wanted a Miata for years. Deam gone . . .

So I began to look and look. Note: we also have a 2001 MDX Acura with navigation and love that car, it has 105,000 miles on it and we will trade it when the 2008 autos come out.

So, after looking hard at a Prius (Toyota, I would have gone there but when my wife drove the car, she did not like looking out the rear view mirror with the "bar" across the back and she really did not care for the ride), a Mini Cooper, and others I had a vision . . .

So I went to our Acura dealer and said, "Let me look at your small car." I did not want "my fathers sedan" -- to have a car to feel like I was sitting in my living room feel to it. I wanted a car that felt good in my hands and under me.

The sales guy (showing me the TSX), started with the motor, then took me around the entire car, slowly. Then we went for a drive. As soon as I took the wheel, I knew this was all of the car I needed. Smaller, quick, and it had the things I really wanted as extras that most of the other cars I had been looking at did not have: navigation and XM Radio (I like baseball, and Sirius does not have that). And voice activatived. Great.

I considered looking at a Camery (owned a 1996 one a while back) -- but realized that cars like the Toyota Camery -- were big lease cars, fleet cars, rental cars -- they are all over and the value in the future would probably be less than an Acura.

The final kicker -- our Acura dealer service department is tops here. With Starbucks coffee and fresh donuts all of the time. Plus, I get free wash and vac. any time I bring my car in -- servicing it or just for the wash.

Plus, I love the way the TSX feels on the road. Added a spoiler on the back, extra decor. pieces inside, light strips on the side -- and it is red. Looks great and feels great -- oh, I am 65 and watch me go.

I did not want the TL or a larger car -- it is for me, not a family car -- and it cost a lot less than a TL.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    good choice-especially the color. I own an 06 Milano red with ebony interior 6 spd w/nav for 4 months now. Love it. I was thinking about getting a spoiler but decided not to. I did get the trunk tray, mud flaps, door edge guards, wheel locks and black and light gray painted on pin-stripes. My good friend is the service manager so I know I will be getting excellant service. He helped me get the car at a good price. Happy motoring. I am ten years younger than you. It is not that often I can say that anymore. If things go as planned xm and sirius will eventually merge. My husband prefers sirius so he has it in his car.
    Great. I love clicking the button on the wheel, and saying: XM 175 -- and getting Home Plate, the baseball discussion channel. Or . . . one of the other channels I like --

I have 135 miles now on the car. Or, also got wheel locks, mud flaps, and the light interor color. I also had them do the paint / inside coating -- for the 5 or 6 years coverage. No fading, or spilling of stuff, or pen marks ont he seats (I do that a lot) -- if I cannot get it back to normal, they come out and do it, if they cannot get it out or fix it like new -- they replace the carpet, seat covers, or fix the paint on the outside.

I want that Milano red to look like new as long as I have it.

Can you say -- geatty up . . . and go.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Interesting that some of us ageing babyboomers like the TSX, as opposed to something bigger,more powerfull.
    I would like some more power I was somewhat underwhelmed with the test drive of the auto. I will need to test drive again on an expressway without the salesman. I like the looks both inside and outside. The ride might be a little stiff for some, but I have been driving a Jeep GC for the past 10 years so the ride is fine for me. I don't need a big car just me and the wife, kids are grown. I could do fine with an Accord or Camry V6 much more value. I still have many cars to look at before my lease is up. One other thing is that I can get supplier discounts for Nissan,Ford,GM,Chrylser, but I don't believe Honda, will have to check into that.Old Mike
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    "want that Milano red to look like new as long as I have it. "

Then I suggest you visit zainostore.com.

Someone just contratulated me on my shiny "new" Abyss Blue TL. Why, thank you! It's a 2005 that I bought over 26 months ago with about 18 coats of Zaino. Last coat about 5 months ago and after a quick wash the glassy, mirror-like finish is once again dazzling me!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Hey laurasdada -- which of the zainostore products do you use -- they have a bunch? Any secrets in applying it?

What else does this car need ???

Thanks
    Hi:

The products I use (currently as I may order some of the newer stuff. I may be addicted...):

Z2 (ultimate shine)
    Z5 (for light scratches and swirls as my TL is Abyss Blue)
    -both of these with ZFX
    Z6 between coats of Z2 & Z5 and sometime after a wash

I basically follow the instructions provided by Sal. No secrets, fairly easy though time consuming. One trick is to first wash with Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove any other waxes (and you can clay, I haven't done that...). You only Dawn once, don't use Dawn again or you'll remove all the Zaino!

Actually, besides zainostore.com, there is a discussion here in the Town Hall, just search for Zaino, much real world info there.

May buy the Z7 wash, I'm told the leather stuff is fab. The new Z-aio sounds intriguing.

Great stuff, smells good too...!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

WOW! You sure do a great job keeping your car clean. I use a power-washer (karcher 1650 psi) It is doesnot have very much pressure, cannot clean the siding on the house very good) It is good enough for the car. Use blue coral wash, then mother's california instant detailer and also blue coral wheel magic. We have owned many red cars, most of them having to be parked outside and they always had a great new looking finish. Our tsx is spoiled as it is in the garage.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    I had an 06 TSX (with 10k miles) as a loaner last month when my o6 TL was in for service. The TL is more luxurious and has more hp and a much better sound system. The TSX is slightly better in turns, probably because of its lighter weight and smaller turn circle. Too bad the loaner did not come with a navi so that I could compare it against TL's navi. Both cars are a lot of bang for the buck in their respective segments, and you cannot go wrong with either, depending on your taste and affordability.
  • bator1bator1 Member Posts: 16
    I just traded in my 06 TL for an )& TSX. The TSX is peppier, and much more nimble. Likely because of all the armor on the TL. As for me the TSX is much more fun to drive as well as, look at.

Matthew
    I must disagree on the sound system vehemently. The TSX blows my TL away. I can listen to audio books in the TSX on setting 25; where as in the TL I needed to boost it to 35.
    Frankly I think there probably the exact same systems, my TSX might have been set-up a little better than the TL. I do miss the extra 2 cylinders, but I think thats an ego thing:)

Matthew
    I just traded an 06 TL for an 07 TSX, great decision. Go for the TSX you wont regret it...
    Thanks-I was just sitting here 2nd guessing myself over the transaction. I do miss the extra 2 cylinders but I think it is an ego thing, after all I am not a race car driver. The TSX's rear end is much more attractive and the front is basically the same as the TL. I like the tighter drive of the TSX, but then I also miss the heaviness of the car on a long straight drive-But I am happy and I really hated the looks of the TL's rear. They should have designed the TL with a more attractive rear-end IMHO
    The NAV makes the car-If ou have'nt done the deed yet go with the Navi.
    I had an 06 TL and now have an 07 TSX, yes the TL was quicker off the start, but I don't really need to be the first out. The power is there when needed and the sound system is awesome w/Navi???I don't know if it would be the same w/o Navi??
  • jkm900jkm900 Member Posts: 18
    Honestly, the only thing I took away from this forum is that personal tastes come into play when choosing between the TSX and TL. I was on the fence for so long on which one to choose. Then the 07 TL came out with some extra features which began to tip the scales for me. Sure you may not NEED a rear camera, but having my TL for only two weeks, the fisheye camera has already kept me from hitting people and cars when backing out from behind and Excursion or other SUV's. I also have to haul clients around and the TSX is just too cramped in the back so that was another reason for my decision.

I still LOVE the TSX. However I think the backend is ugly compared to the TL which someone else in this forum said the exact opposite. Again, personal tastes. My best advice is to do what I did: Drive both cars, play with the features, determine what is most important in a car for YOU not anyone else and then buy the one that fits your lifestyle best. Don't regret either decision just because people on here think the TL sucks or the TSX is an underpowered whimp. It's all in how you percieve it and if it suits your needs!
    I cannot believe it but I traded my new TSX and got my old 06 TL back. Yes I lost 2K, but to be so stupid I deserve it. I missed the wieght and genearl luxury of the TL too mich. The TSZ was more fun to drive, bit my commute is straight doen the intestate so I did not really have the opportunity to enjoy the superior handling of the TSX. I also hated the fact(I live in Florida) that when you ask the computer a question it turns off the A/C..
    Well, I missed my TL too much. went back to the dealer and got my car back. Cost me some but I was too unhappy with the TSX. Granted it handled great, and took turns well, I guess I just missed te room and all the other little extra's. I also like the TL because it feels a lot nmore silid than the TSX. I learned a very Expensive lesson.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I like both because i want them. I think the TSX is the better choice for me. I think my choice will come down to stock exhaust note. The TSX has 200-205hp and my car has 170. So the difference will be minor. Plus the TSX has the folding rear seat, useful for a sing college bound kid and the trunk space is the same. I don't mind the compactness.

-Cj
  • voxboyvoxboy Member Posts: 30
    I love the TL, but long for the responsiveness of the TSX. TSX steering is so tight -- there's like zero play in the wheel. Why can't I have that with my TL? Is there anything I can do to change that (e.g. chage tires)? In what ways does the TL handle better?
  • jkm900jkm900 Member Posts: 18
    Not sure why you have play in the wheel on your TL. My 2007 TL has no play whatsoever in the wheel. Not sure if the earlier models are different but maybe you should take it in to the dealer.
  • kris2kris2 Member Posts: 51
    I own a TSX and I do like it but if someone were to say I can get a TL for the price of a TSX I would not hesitate to buy the TL. Personally I could not justify that I have to shell out $5-6k more to get a TL and not use the additional weight, size, power and other goodies that it comes with. I think it is a personal choice and a comparison will be like apples vs oranges.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    Another lively TSX board?

Does anyone who drives these cars still care to post?

Apparently not.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    We're all out enjoying our cars...
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Most of the people who frequented this thread are now hanging aroung the new thread... Apples vs Oranges. :P
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ROFL!!!
  • mrgold35mrgold35 Member Posts: 73
    I was torn between the TL and TSX when I was looking for a replacement car for my wife. Other than the 2 extra cylinders, the TSX had everything we needed on a daily basis. I couldn’t justify spending an additional $2,000 to $3,000 extra when I compared them side-by-side.

Driving the TSX in SS mode on mountain switchbacks is more fun than humans are allowed to have. :P
    i have to agree with you-the tl is a nice car but i am extremely pleased with my 06 tsx. has more than enough power for me. i love the 6speed manual transmission-very smooth.
    The crazy wife dropped the 06 MDX off today for an oil change and the dealer hooked her up with an 07 TSX loaner.

I'm looking forward to her review.

It should be something like "it had a light on the side of the vanity mirror, was a pretty shade of blue, and fit into the parking spots at Starbucks with room to spare"

I should have her swing it by work for a quick beat run. ;)
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 866
    I initially wanted the TL, but like others, wasn't able to justify the extra $$ to the boss ;) especially since we have three who just started preschool a few months back. I couldn't be any more happy with the car. It looks great, rides great, plenty of power for me as well, and unlike some of the other cars we were considering, you don't see hundreds of them on the road every day :)
    the last time i had my tsx at the dealer for service i had an 08 MDX w/nav as a loaner. i am not into suv's so i could not wait to get my tsx back. by the way I am a "crazy wife" also. You can ask my husband-he has his motorcycles.
    LOL

My wife, before going to the MDX, had a Honda Accord.
    She dropped the TSX off and got right back into her MDX, and talked to me last night about how much she missed it.

She's lovin the whole SUV thing and couldn't stand being back in a smaller car.
    The traffic around here has no respect for cars and the SUVs rule the world.
    She couldn't wait to have her SUV back.

I recently gave up SUVs for my 07 G35.
    Now I'm in the smaller car but I get my respect by keeping everyone else behind me! ;)
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I dunno, I've had a TSX loaner while my TL was getting an oil change and it just isn't as sporty.

Of course there's the underwhelming straight power of the TSX, but it just didn't handle the same - it didn't feel as planted to the road as my TL.

I will admit up front that my TL is a 6MT with summer tires and the TSX was a basic AT, so that could have had a lot to do with it, but even when I test drove both back in 2005, I didn't fall in love with the TSX as I did with the TL.
    is is too bad the tl does not over 6MT-you now have to get the tl-s. glad you are enjoying your tl as much as i am with my tsx. i was not that impressed with the automatic tsx. never tried a tl but next time i bring my car for service i am going to request one as a loaner car.
    I only had a TSX loaner (slush) while my TL (slush) was in service. I definitely noted the lessor power of the TSX, but also appreciated the lighter feel of the car. The TSX felt more "tossable." No doubt the TSX is adequately powered and fun, but I do prefer the extra horsies/torquies of the TL in addition to the more luxurious interior and stylish exterior. The TSX is generically handsome in the Honda idiom, but the TL is the looker in the family.

Both fine cars, the only way to truly define which is better is to buy it! :shades:

I see alot more TL's in my travels than I do TSX's. I think one of the reasons I did not test drive the TL is I would end up buying it-luckily they did not have any MT ones in stock. I had a certain amount I wanted to pay (incl taxes and all the other fees) so I would not have to get a car loan. I paid less thanks to getting the tsx. love it. Looking forward to seeing what the 09's look like.
  • ac2005ac2005 Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering a certified pre-owned TSX or TL, preferably model 2004 and newer. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck, but not sure if the CPO program is worth the extra cost over buying from a private seller.

If anyone has any notable experiences on a CPO Acura, pro or con, please chime in!
    I've purchase a CPO Honda Accord from a dealership around Y2K. Other than having a higher starting price, there really wasn't an advantage shopping dealer or private owner. I only went with the dealership because they had the exact model/color/engine I wanted on the lot. I had to haggle my butt off to get the price closer to a private owner and had them add an extended warranty to 100,000 miles (never needed to use the warranty).

End of the month and/or year end are the best time to purchase from a dealership. The only real advantages of a dealership is selection and the ability to haggle for added accessories like a trunk tray, extended warranty, free service, window tint, rear spoiler, etc.. The really big disadvantage of private owner is “Buyer Beware”. You’re stuck with the car if there are problems after the purchase.

I don’t know about the TL, but the sweet spot for the TSX is the 06 models because of the following upgrades:
    - XM radio (antenna on back/center rear of roof, 05 model also)
    - Bluetooth hands free link
    - Upgrade MID display, can personalize display per key fob
    - Thicker steering wheel with grips at the 10 and 2 o’clock positions
    - heated side mirrors (05 model also)
    - Two position driver memory seats that adjust automatically to the driver when the door opens when the fob is used to unlock the door.
    - power passenger seat (05 model also)
    - Wider side bolsters on driver seat
    - Faster Navi with restaurant guide, calendar reminder, points of interest, and 650 voice commands.
    - 06 Navi can integrate a back up camera easier because of the DVD unit design.
    - up to 10-15 extra HP with the larger intake, exhaust, higher flow cat
    - You will get more HP/TQ from aftermarket parts (Hondata, I/H/Cat/Exhaust, S/C for 6MT only)
    - Slightly revised rear tail lights starting in 06
    - More angular side-marker lights
    - Integrated fog lights
    - No metal trim from grill on hood
    - More aggressive side sills
    - Low profile windshield wipers
    - You would have a longer bumper-to-bumper warranty period with an 06, 4yr/50,000 miles
    - Everyone’s favorite, new 9 spoke alloy wheels
    - Upgraded shift knob for 5AT
    - +2 years of corrected TSB (less rattles/electrical problems/squeaks, etc..)

Make sure they include the latest Navi disk that is available since Nov of 07 with the daylight savings fix (White disk v4.62, not v4.55 or v4.56) My Navi disk in my 06 is v4.55 and it is starting to give me wrong data. The DVD disk usually cost $185+shipping.
  • ac2005ac2005 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the detailed reply! How is it you know so much about the TSX when you drive an Accord?

Yeah sometimes the CPO prices don't seem to be that much better than buying new, but I'm hoping to haggle the price closer to a private seller price.
    I still have the CPO Accord with 170,000 miles on the ODO and it is my everyday commuter and grocery getter. My second car is an 06 5AT TSX w/ Navi and A-spec kit with +20,000 miles on the odo.

After 18 months, I still get a stupid grin on my face when I drive the TSX. You will find out at dealerships the prices for a used TSX will only be $1,500-$3,000 less compared to buying new. The TSX really holds its value very well.

There were not a lot changes with the 07/08 models except tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). I can live without because I have aftermarket rims for summer, winter rims for my TSX. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between an 06/07/08 TSX is price and mileage.
This discussion has been closed.