Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

88 accord - metallic engine noises at low speeds

musicguymusicguy Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Honda
Hi, I have an 88 accord LXi sedan with 100k miles. In the past couple of weeks or so, I've been noticing a sound that can best be described as metal hitting metal coming from the front axle/engine area when I am travelling at slower speeds, braking, and accelerating after braking. The sound is intermittent, and occurs approx. once every 10-20 sec. or so. I was approaching the date for an oil change so I went ahead and did that but the sound is still there. Could anyone give me some sort of insight as to what this could be? Thanks so much!

Comments

• jebinc1jebinc1 Member Posts: 198
    ...a CV joint. Check the rubber boots to see if they are cracked. If so, most likely it's the joint that failed due to dirt.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Warped brake rotors will also tickle your brake pads and give you a scraping sound that comes and goes.
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    front bearings? I would have a reputable shop check it out..
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Have the upper ball joints checked.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    sooooo, congratulations on turning the odometer over! those aren't letters of commendation, they're bills :(

time for a general checkover and have the issues found rated as to importance, so you can order the repairs if you can't afford 'em all at once.

and don't put new tires on until it's all done, things like bad ball joints and tie rods can wear half the life off those tires in a few weeks
  • bburton3bburton3 Member Posts: 185
    Got a really metallic noise at low speed-turns out some of the crap that has fallen off trucks and I have run over at speed slightly bent the metal water deflector that is just beside the front brake rotor and it would slightly touch the rotor making a terrible noise. A little bend with the fingers cured this one.

Recently got another noise at low rpm-turns out one of the heat shield holders on the cat converter rusted through and made a neat vibration-used to use AL clothes line wire-gotten fancy now-used a big honking SS pipe clamp-works very well. Cat heat shields are important when u park in the grass on occasion-even with them-sometimes fires start-cat started fire burned a whole bunch of cars at a golf tourney in Atlanta a few years ago.

I start with the simple/cheap ones. Have had bed CV joints-they make a clicking sound when turning - bad wheel bearings kind of growl-if front end-it beings to be noticeable when making turns.

Hope it is a el cheapo problemo.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    due to the design of FWD cars. if you have noise, they are already hosed, but you probably have a little time to get your bids and choose a shop for the work.
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    I had a similar problem at low speed with my Accord LXi 89 (193k miles) a while back.
    It's probably the heat shield at the catalyst converter. I removed it for years.
    The car still runs great. RightF CV went last year. The right tight rod just went last month.
This discussion has been closed.