Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Silverado Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    GM Announces New Incentive Program Intended to Help Clear Vehicles Off Dealers' Lots
    DETROIT March 9, 2005; Dee-Ann Durbin writing for the AP reported that General Motors Corp. announced a new round of consumer incentives Thursday intended to help clear slow-selling vehicles off dealers' lots this month.

GM will give cash bonuses of between $500 and $1,500 for vehicles that have been in dealer inventories for at least 125 days, GM spokeswoman Deborah Silverman said. Most of those vehicles will be eligible for $1,000 bonuses, but Cadillacs will be eligible for $1,500. Cadillac sales were strong at the end of 2004 but fell 3.3 percent last month, according to Autodata Corp.

The "March Madness" promotion is similar to a red tag sale GM held in December. GM's sales fell 7 percent overall that month, but the bonuses helped sales of individual brands like Chevrolet and Cadillac. Cadillac sales rose 19 percent in December, helping the luxury brand achieve its best sales year since 1990.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Thanks for passing that along! I noticed you've alerted GM shoppers in other topics to this promotion, so hopefully we'll be hearing about some members who got good deals as a result.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• buck99buck99 Member Posts: 7
    Anne, I have bought my last 6 trucks from a dealership in Kershaw South Carolina. It's H&H Chevrolet. The lady that owns the dealership will quote you a price over the phone and there is no haggleing EVER! She sells trucks at cost and can get you any truck you want in 24 hours and even deliver it to you. I just bought a 2005 Chev crew cab LT and saved over $8000 off sticker. I hope you give them a try.
    I have bought many extended warranties over the years and I like the peace of mind that comes from having them. Vehicles, although, are being made so much better than before, when a problem does arise the parts can be so expensive. I have bought only one third party warranty and didn't have very good luck with it. I have bought only GM's Major Guard after that one with great satisfaction. Shop around though, for the best price. Everyone knows that the dealership makes money off the warranty, but some make less than others.
    H & H Chevrolet in Kershaw South Carolina sells The GM Major Guard warranty and only makes $100 over cost and if you are from outside SC you won't have to pay any sales tax!
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    "if you are from outside SC you won't have to pay any sales tax!"
    Buck, that's not quite true, at least in N.Y. State. When you go to register vehicle you will pay N.Y. state resident sales tax based on cost of vehicle no matter where you buy it.
    For example I bought a new car in N.J. but had to pay N.Y. state sales tax to register vehicle where I reside.

The deal at H&H sounds awesome though and is worth considering for my next purchase down the road.

Ray T.
    Ray, H&H Chevrolet sells vehicles at cost but you will have to pay sales tax in your home state but I mean't you won't any sales tax on the GM Major Guard Warranty if you are from outside SC. Tom
    Joe, I always buy my trucks from H&H Chevrolet in Kershaw SC and I just bought an '05 crew cab Z-71 and saved $8000 off sticker. I like the 17" wheels and I also like the 3:42 gear. I had a 4:11 in the last one and it didn't get as good as fuel mileage. I honestly get 19.5 MPG all the time but all my driving is rural roads with very few stops.
  • mexia02mexia02 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone bought one lately and could help me on price? All I need is the work truck group w/ cruise, locking differ, and skid plates. Anyone got any price help?
    mexia, Give H&H Chevrolet in Kershaw South Carolina a call. They have an 800 number. They will sell you any truck at cost and they will even deliver it. I saved $8000 off sticker from there. Great people to work with too!
    Tom
  • slramsslrams Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my 2005 chev silv. 2500HD Diesel 4X4 Crew Cab in Dinuba CA. They had the exact truck/color/options I wanted. Very little haggle knowing what I was willing to pay before going into the dealer. MSRP was $45,949 and after 30 minutes of final negotiations the dealer agreed to an 11% discount (40,894) plus a $1000 discount using two $500 coupons. We took the $1000 rebate + another $1000 financing incentive. Final selling price was $37,894 or 17.5% in discounts off of MSRP. Not a bad deal on a Duramax. I tried several times to buy from other dealers including Bfield but they were not willing to deal much. I shopped the best deal by negotiating on-line to see which dealers were willing to give the most discounts. They varied from 5% discounts off MSRP in Bfield to a few willing to discount 11% off of MSRP. This did not including rebates or other incentives offered at the time. I love my Chevy truck. Good luck.
  • osubeavosubeav Member Posts: 56
    Just bought a new 2005 extended cab 1500 Z71 4x4. It is metallic gray and has the 310 hp 5.3L, the light duty power pack, aluminum wheels and the auto-trac electronic transfer case. The truck stickered for right at $33,000; I got it for $25,600. I also got about $800 more than I expected for my trade and a free spray in bed liner.

I got the regular $2000 rebate, the $1000 GMAC rebate and an additional $1000 rebate for stock that has been on the lot for more than 120 days.

I am very pleased with the deal and the truck. It was relatively painless, though it took a lot of work and research. I searched through the stock of every Chevy dealer in the Pacific Northwest and western Montana to find what I wanted for the right price. My truck came from a dealer 400 miles away from where I live via a dealer trade.

I also don't like the messing around with the financing. I had to finance at a not very good rate with GMAC to get the $1000 rebate and will have to refinance the second I get my payment book (see the "Questions for a Car Dealer" thread in the Smart Buyers forum for more details).
  • jcauseyjcausey Member Posts: 1
    buck, how does H&H do on trade-ins? I have a 2002 Siverado ext. cab 1500 2wd that I would like to upgrade to a crew cab 2005 1500 2wd.
  • derick1965derick1965 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought in March from a dealer my 2nd chevy. Green Crew Cab Z71 4x4 5.3L with all bells and whistles 4.10 grs except leather,DVD, and block heater. Sticker was 38k and change..out the door w/5yr 75k ext. warranty just shy 33k. I love my truck
  • speedy9speedy9 Member Posts: 2
  • speedy9speedy9 Member Posts: 2
    just read your message, hope its not too late. i bought 04 silverado in 03/04. msrp was 36,700. ls package,2500hd extra cab 6.0 ltr 4wd. i paid 28,000!. secret (i do not take bs from lots!) go to crs direct.com. bring there price into dealer and they should match it if they want your sale. its not the old days anymore witht he big mfrs trying to sell at highest price. they want to sell volume because they get kickback from factory from selling alot of units. i am selling my p/u in order to buy a 2500hd diesel. i am asking 26,000 for it. only 13,000 miles w/ 7/75000 warranty.
    i am getting a 05 duramax crew cab 4wd for 36,000 because of crs direct!! anyone looking for a truck??
  • houstontxhoustontx Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2005 Silverado extended cab 2500HD work package truck with cruise, 4.1 axle ratio, with the camper trailering equipt. MSRP was $29,845 I paid $20,300. See if you can find one that has been in inventory for more than 120 days and you will get a deal.
    J
  • chevytruck6288chevytruck6288 Member Posts: 1
    2004 SILVERADO 1500 4WD REG CAB Z71

Just before Christmas an ad caught my eye from one of the local Chevy Dealer's for this truck. MSRP was $31,463 and advertised price was 19,998 if all rebates were applied and financed through GMAC. I had been looking carefully at advertised prices and this one seemed better then the rest. What made it different was that the dealer opted to throw in 3 ($500) GM coupons on top of the other incentives. I persuaded my better half to take a drive out to see the truck. First glance and I was sold. The Sport Red Metallic with the Chrome Tubular Assist Steps did it for me. This one also has the 5.3L V8 with AutoTrac Active Transfer Case, the fold away OSRV Mirrors, 3.73 rear axle, HD Trailering, and XM Radio.
    GM was also offering at the same time to roll the current balance of 1700 on my GM card up to 3000 for an additional rebate. A pleasant surprise was that i actually had more on my card to use then i thought. 241.00 more.

MSRP $31,463
    Dealer discount 4,465
    Cash Price 26,998
    Less GM Rebate 3,500
    Less GM Bonus Coupons 1,500
    Less GM Finance Rebate 2,000
    Less GM Card rebate 3,241
    _______
    Out the door price. 16,757
    less cash down 1,500
    financed through GMAC 15,257 @6.79%

I waited for payment coupons. Made one payment to GMAC and then refinanced through a local credit union at 3.99% 345/month for 48 months. Recent additions are new Ultra Stargazer 16" Rims and bug and rain guards.
    I like using carsdirect.com's price as a starting point, but I beat their price by $1600 on the '05 Z71 I just bought, as well as getting a spray in liner and more than wholesale for my trade. Be sure to do your research on additional rebates, rebate coupons, etc.
  • tjotjo Member Posts: 7
    Buck99: What is the web site and or 800 number for H & H Chevrolet in Kershaw SC????

I am considering purchasing one from Warranty Direct (They supposedly sell to dealers also) and are out of NY, and are licensed in Calif... The dealer I purchased my 05 truck from does not sell GMPP but use CNA National Warranty Corp.??? They want $1900 for a 84 month 100,000 mile $150 deduct. WDirect is 1500 "0" deduct for the same. I need to do a fine tooth re-read of warranty comparison first. Thanks for your good in put... tom :)
  • bizzybizzy Member Posts: 1
    i live in NC. Interested in giving H&H a visit. Are they open on the weekends? Do you know their hours if so?
  • tjotjo Member Posts: 7
    Hi bizzy:

I can't find H & H Chevrolet in Kershaw SC either...??? I tried GM Buy Power and they are not listed (Note: not all dealers are listed... for fact). I did an internet search in Kershaw and found nothing...???

If you find anything please post.. I am mainly searching for a dealership that sells GMPP extended warranties I can use for my new truck. So for I have found only 2 Gmoutlet and Clapper's.

Does anyone have any others I can research??

thanks in advance for your help.

tom
    A reporter is hoping to speak with anyone who recently discussed a trade-in at a Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Saab, Hummer, or Cadillac dealership. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Tuesday, April 26, 2005 with your daytime contact info and any brief comments you care to share about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    MSRP for the truck is $19,395, cruise and spare tire lock are the only options. It's dark blue on black and was located by my dealer over 100 miles away. I'd rather have black, but want to see opinions on the price, I've been told I can purchase the truck for $14,307 plus tax and title and tags. That is $79 less than Edmund's TMV value. Should I grab this one, an aged unit, inspection sticker is December 2006, so it's been sitting for six months, or should I wait for my black truck and hope to get a similar deal on it? It is hard to find a long bed V6/5-speed. Short beds like that are aplenty but long beds are mostly V8/auto that I have seen so far. I'd even take a V8/5-speed but have yet to see one in person or on GM BuyPower, and I've searched most all of north TX.
    You might check if GM is still offering the $1000 rebate for trucks that had been on the lot for more than 180 days. I got that on my Silv that I got a month and a half ago. If it is still offered, you should be able to get that one for about $13200. Otherwise, it seems like a decent price.

As for the blue, that dark blue is about one step below black anyway. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    If WTs are so scarce that the nearest one is 100 miles away, you may want to jump on it - otherwise you may have to order an 06 and won't see it before mid-summer.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • 1000hours1000hours Member Posts: 29
    Greetings - I am looking into purchasing this model Silverado because they are so inexpensive (was looking into Honda Accord but the durability of trucks is very appealing).

Has anyone been able to beat $18K for this truck??

Also, I have looked all over the internet and this forum for anything on this truck, and cannot find anything regarding problems with this particular model. After being in Japanese cars for the last 7 years I want to buy an American truck... Are these things durable and reliable over the long haul??
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    You may want to check out the other Chevy Silverado discussions that are geared towards those people that already own this vehicle.

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owner's hangout

Chevy Silverado: Problems & Solutions
  • mnicholsmnichols Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased an 05 silverado using the gm employee purchase program.
    05 Silverado 2500HD crew cab W/T package.
    6.6 Liter Duramax Diesel.
    power windows, mirrow and door locks.
    deep tinted windows.
    upgraded stereo with cd player.
    cruise control.
    List price was $43,000.
    employee purchase and $3,000 rebate, final purchase price was
    $33,000.
    I traded in my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with 4.7 v-8.
    dealer paid off the loan and I ended up with an extra $200.
    Great Truck, awesome engine and transmission combo. the allison transmission is bullet proof.
    The Dealer wasn't willing to negotiate any further on price, since I couldn't get a better price from anywhere else, i bought it.
    I'm very happy with my purchase.
  • fyreater1fyreater1 Member Posts: 2
    What a great site to compare prices with what others are paying. I checked it often when I was researching prices. Keep up the good work.

As for my buying experience:

05 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
    5.3L, 310 hp
    Leather, bucket seats
    Bose radio
    Billet front grill
    31" tires
    Tow package
    Light power package
    Alloy wheels

GM employee discount price $28,700

I paid the discount price and they threw in the after market billet grill and the bigger tires.

I heard that there is a $1600 "memo money" that the manufacturer is giving back to all Silverados sold to the dealers. As I understand it, the individual dealers are not making much on these cars at the GM employee discount price. The only money being made during this sale, is the $1600. I had a friend who bought an 05 Extra cab Silverado and they knocked off $1000 of the listed GM employee discount price. As I was in negotiation with my truck, a GMC dealer knocked off $1200 from the listed GM employee price. It was tempting, but the color was not my first choice and I wanted a Silverado. So take that info for what it is worth.

During this sale, trucks are going fast. This sale has attracted a lot of buyers and dealers dont have a great choice of inventory and selection. Plus, they are unwilling to locate a truck from another dealer. So, the bad part, you are limited to what the dealers have in stock.

Overall this is a great time to pull the trigger on a new GM product if you have been watching the incentives. But who knows, maybe they will either extend the sale or offer even lower prices next month. :shades:
    A reporter is interested in speaking with someone who has purchased a GM vehicle using the current ‘GM Employee Discount’ promotion. If you are interested in speaking with this reporter about your purchase decision, please contact Pam Krebs, Edmunds.com PR, at pkrebs@edmunds.com with a phone number where you can be reached. The reporter needs to speak with someone today. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• csmith6csmith6 Member Posts: 4
    Has anybody had a problem getting the GM rebate and the employee purchase price. In the area I am looking (Washinton State), approx a quarter of the sales staff I talk to say that i have to choose one or the other.
  • stonegstoneg Member Posts: 47
    I am on my way to purchase an '05 GMC Sierra 4dr 4x4 std bed duramax 2500hd. I have searched Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and my home state of Florida for this truck with certain options. I have found only 1 (with a MSRP of over $49k, ouch). With the new employee discount deal going on right now, they are going like crazy. Now that I have found one, I dont want to wait any longer, but was curious about the $500.00 "Bonus Coupons". Is this just something the dealer made up to convince mama to go along with the purchase, or did you actually see some form of coupon? I am going to take the $3,000 rebate, because I found a 0.99% rate for 60 months that I bid on, and won on ebay. Sorry guys, got that one, but they are offering 3.75% for up to 60 months for 5 people according to ebay. FSU credit union is where I got it from in case you cant find one lower....I searched EVERYWHERE and couldnt find one lower. Any ideas, other than the "coupon" on how to get this truck cheaper than the GM Employee price? ie. Hold backs or other manufac/dealer kickbacks?
    CS,
    I am getting ready to take the same plung as you, and after speaking with over 15 dealerships, and searching online, what I am experiencing is that you can have your cake, and eat it too. If you go to the GMC or Chevy website, find the vehicle you want, then click the employee price icon, the 3,000 is already applied.
    I had several of the dealerships fax me the invoice, and it is exacly 3,000 higher than the website price. Good luck
    I keep hearing from multiple dealerships that this promotion was so successful that they are going to extend it, however none of them with say with certainty because they want you to have that sense of urgency to purchase before the 5th.
    The "memo money" that you were talking about, is that the dealer holdback? On one of the invoices, I remember seeing that number at $1,450 or something close to it. I figured I would just have them split it with me, but you are saying that they offered you $1200? I just dont think they will go for that on the Duramax's.
    I'm hearing that there are other "kickbacks" a dealer gets from GM if the vehicle has been on the lot for a certain number of days. What is that number (120?), and more importantly, how do you find out how long a particular vehicle has been on the lot? Is the dealer just going to offer this information up to you, knowing that you are asking for this reason? If they have what you want, and you are willing to drive 300+ miles to go get it, why wouldn't they just tell you something less than the number, and pocket the incentive from GM?
  • fyreater1fyreater1 Member Posts: 2
    As of today 7/4/05, the sale has been extended into August according to the Chevy website.

What you say is true, I have had a couple of co-workers buy the 3/4 ton Duramax and they paid exactly what the GM discount price was. There was no bargining a lower price. I would guess that the Duramax is a hot item. I have read that the dealer holdback is anywhere from 2-3% of MSRP. I am unsure how this relates to the "memo money." Maybe it was just a sales pitch to reel me in. But I did receive an offer of $1200 off the posted GM discount price. I figure if they take anything off the GM discount price, you are doing good. Good luck.
    As you have already read, I am on my way Saturday 7/9 to go pick up my new pick up. It comes with 245/75/16's but have you tried to go with a 285/75 w/o a lift on the new 2005 2500HD 4x4? I won't be able to lift right away, but would like something under me somewhat larger than the pizza cutters that it comes with.
    I have had awesome luck with BFG AT TK KO, and would like to go back to these. I contacted my "tire guy", and he says that this BFG DOES come in an "e" rated tire, and that he "thinks" that he has installed the 285/75's on two 2500HD's.
    this should raise the truck about 2.5 inches. Let us all know what your experiences are, thanks in advance.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    A better place to ask about lifts would be Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra: Owner's hangout.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • adontechadontech Member Posts: 11
    I am curious if anyone is able to the Silverado for less than Employee pricing? If so, how much less? The truck I'm looking at is a 4x4 crew z71 stickered on chevrolet.com at 35638 with an employee price of 27314.52. On the dealer website, the sticker is listed at 36262 and I received an email quote of 26519.80 which is almost 800 less than employee price. Is this a good deal?
    Does that price include any rebates that are available? You might check our Incentives & Rebates section to see if there are any available in your area, then ask if that price includes the rebates, or is the price before rebates.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

That is with the 3000 rebate. Is that good or not good?
    You should be getting the employee price MINUS the $3000 rebate.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I'll verify that with the dealer, but when you research the employee price on chevrolet.com, it lists the employee price after all applicable incentives. So when I have been looking up employee pricing on chevrolet.com, I have assumed that the actual employee price is $3000 greater than what they are showing. Can anyone verify that I am reading this correctly?
    That may be the case. It would be more helpful to consumers if they would list the employee price, then list available rebates!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

Adontech,
    not sure why you got 2 different sticker prices, but here is what I just did.
    Just purchased the '05 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 SLT with the duramax on Saturday. Awesome! here is how the pricing goes:
    Retail (sticker): $49,245.00
    GM Employee Price: $41,721.20
    Dealer Prep: $399.00
    Tire & Battery Disposal Fee: $6.50
    Subtotal: $42,126.70
    Sales tax: $2,602.60 (6% state tax & 1.5% on 1st $5,000.00)
    Subtotal: $44,769.30
    Lemon Law: $2.00
    Tag Transfer: $40.00
    Subtotal: $44,769.65
    GM Rebate: - $3,000.00
    Out the Door: $41,771.30

TAKE THE REBATE!! not the 2.9% interest rate!! I took the rebate and found 0.99% for 60 months at FSU credit union. It was a promo, but now they are offering 3.75% for up to 60 months as a promo. Good Luck!
  • patmpatm Member Posts: 13
    I'm looking at an '05 Silverado 1500 WT, regular cab, long bed, automatic, V6, locking differential and AC, power windows would be nice too. The prices I'm getting are no better than GM employee prices. Didn't Chevy just have a $3,000 rebate along with the employee pricing? I'm only seeing $1,000 rebates on Edmunds.com now. I hope I didn't miss the boat! What can I expect to pay in Western Mass for this truck? Thanks for your help.
    I had a hard time finding a truck like yours in inventory through chevrolet.com, but I got close. On a truck close to yours the employee price including discounts was about 10500 less than sticker, which is right on with what you paid. What state are you in? Is FSU Florida State University? Can anyone get their loan through FSU credit union assuming good credit? Thanks.
    I went by and looked at the z71 crew tonight and the reason the sticker price on the dealer website was different than chevy.com was because it had a couple of dealer installed accessories, one bein a sprayed in bedliner. So that makes the price the salesperson gave me even better.
  • patmpatm Member Posts: 13
    I have found that the GM employee price posted on the Chevrolet website includes the $3,000 rebate that is being offered. I called Chevrolet and that's exactly what they said, "employee pricing includes all incentives and rebates". It just seems a little confusing in their advertising, like they are 2 separate things "we'll sell for less than employee prices". If a Chevy can be had for less that's great but I haven't found any dealer that will budge & I've visited 2 dealers and e-mailed 2 others. I did get an offer of a $500. gift card to Lowe's after proving my carpenter's credentials. If I had a registered business of my own, they were offering a $1,000 credit for truck accessories, ladder racks or tool boxes. Has any one found anything different than this? Thanks patm