Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Silverado Prices Paid and Buying Experience

191011121315»

Comments

• sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Search for the "Real world trade in value" forum, here in Edminds.com

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• benrey23benrey23 Member Posts: 42
    I would worry less about what the dealer bought the truck for and more about what u are paying. Its a 2WD 2010 for 25k. Probably about 34 to 36k New. with the 4505 Cash incentive on New you need to determine how much you are willing to pay. Honestly I would not pay more than 23k for it.
  • jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    edited October 2011
    I agree. I bought a 2011 GMC Sierra SLE which included two nice packages for 26K with a 36K MSRP in NorCal, Honestly if I was looking for a late model truck I would go new before used. Just my opinion.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Member Posts: 176
    What the dealer paid does matter. Most dealers will not sell a vehicle below their cost. But it's true - you can buy these trucks new for 10K off MSRP.
  • henry_nhenry_n Member Posts: 33
    2011 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT with Texas Edition package.

The window sticker was a hair under $35k. Lone Star Chevrolet here in Houston is advertising these in the paper for $26,488 with the $5,005 in incentives presently available. The one I picked out was a little over $35k (rear window defogger and underseat storage), added about $350 to my bottom line. Most of the trucks they have are equipped with something that will raise your price, but you can find one at the advertised $26,488 if you're not particular about the color. Based on my recent shopping expeditions, this is about $3k less than a similar Ford equipped with the V8, and about $4k less than a similar ford with the EcoBoost engine.

quote:
    Texas Edition, includes
    Vortec 5.3L V8 SFI FlexFuel engine,
    (S83) 4 - 20" x 8.5" (50.8 cm x 21.6 cm) chrome-clad aluminum wheels,
    (DL8) outside heated power-adjustable, chrome-capped, manual-folding mirrors,
    (CJ2) dual-zone automatic air conditioning,
    (UPF) Bluetooth for phone,
    (UK3) steering wheel-mounted audio controls,
    (UUI) AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback,
    (AG1) driver 6-way power seat adjuster,
    (T96) front fog lamps,
    (Z82) trailering package,
    (A60) locking tailgate,
    (PPA) EZ-lift tailgate, bodyside moldings with chrome accents, chrome door handles and Texas emblem badging
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Congrats. They are great trucks.

The same discounts are available in Southern California per your description.
  • 2doorpost2doorpost Member Posts: 74
    Nearly two months later from my last post and I bought my new 2011 extended cab GMC.

27k MSRP, with all the discounts I was entitled to- 20,400 out the door, taxes included. Even got in a color I wanted, as most are now white or red.
  • dukebludukeblu Member Posts: 18
    Bought a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD Work Truck Regular Cab Long bed a few days ago. Bought it in Dallas and with all the rebates and GM Card, got a $7005 rebate. Bought it for invoice. Has the 5.3 in it, 3.42 axle, cloth seats, HD trailering/towing package, power windows/locks/mirrors,remote,cd and cruise. Out the door $19,879. Great truck for under 20K.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Great to hear that you have your new vehicle! How’s it been for you over the weekend?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • string2string2 Member Posts: 71
    Some 2011 Silverado 5.3 engine owners don't know it, but you can see if your Active Fuel Management is working while you are driving. It's on your Instant Fuel economy gauge. You will see it switch back and forth from V8 to V4. It will always go into V4 when the road grade is declining or you are slowing to stop. You aren't using much gas then anyway. It is supposed to be in V4 when cruising at a normal steady highway speed (unless you put it under more load like going uphill). The explaination is on page 9-40 of your owners manual.
    Apparently, some owners don't realize that their poor gas mileage, at normal highway speed (around 70 MPH) is because the AFM system is not working as advertised by GM and their sales people. If you are not getting the gas mileage you expected, that's probably the reason. The hidden surprise is, THERE IS NO FIX, according to the GM engineer who looked at my problem. When you test drive one of these, be sure and check to see if it's working properly. Apparently some do, and some do not. And most of the sales people don't really understand how and when it works. They will tell you anything to get you to buy it. BE CAREFUL and verify what you are told. Talk to the mechanics, if you can.
    edited November 2011
    PLEASE do not buy a truck if you are not going to be using it regularly for towing and hauling.

Please do not believe the sales people at the dealers. Do your own research.

Remember, the internet is a beautiful tool for gathering information. On the other hand, anybody can put information on forums that may or may not be accurate.

Congratulations for GM selling slightly over 50,000 pickup trucks in October! Both Sierra and Silverado combined!
    http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/top-20-best-selling-cars-of-october-201- - - - 1-picture
  • warhooverwarhoover Member Posts: 8
    Great buying experience at Victory Chevrolet in Petaluma CA.

Reached them initially through the USAA car buying service. Had some concerns at first since I live in Sacramento, but a good deal is worth travelling for.

Only had to visit the dealership once to test drive and get the paperwork. Everything else has been handled by mail/fax, and the dealer will deliver to my front door for no charge. I found them to be very patient, flexible, and willing to work around issues.

I would definitely recommend a look at these guys if you are in NorCal - they are willing to put in the extra effort to get your business, and can make the long-distance buy pretty easy.

Specs:
    2011 Silver Green LT (1LT) 5.3L 4WD
    Black Cloth split bench - adding leather
    Convenience Package
    All-Star package
    Backup camera (rear view mirror display)
    Z-71 package w/ 18' off-road tires (no appearance package)
    MSRP $39,230
    Invoice $37,156
    My price: $30,000 + $1000 to add leather

For any NorCal folks out there, they threw in 2 season tickets good for both Alpine Meadows and Homewood ski resorts. I think the season ticket deal is good through the end of January.

Keep the posts coming - this forum is a great resource!

-WarHoover
    Congrats!
    Adding leather is a good choice. Those black cloth seats are a real lint catcher. Thank goodness for Walmar'ts double sided tape lint remover roll contraption.
    Put a few miles on it- it had an issue with 3 tires that couldn't be balanced- and a rear door that wasn't quite installed right at the factory. Dealer took care of that quickly to my satisfaction.

Great customer service from Classic GMC East- Madison Ohio.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Great to hear and I’m glad you were taken care of! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • nhkingnhking Member Posts: 1
    Looking at a 2011 Silverado Extended Cab Standard bed Blue Granite

All Star Edition
    Convenience Package
    Trailer Brake assist

MSRP 35610

Military pricing 33577

rebate 5005
    USAA 750
    GM Card 516

So approx 27300

Told them I want to get 1K more down in price

Odds on that?
    A little late to the party but from what I have seen- All they can say is no. End of year with a previous model year truck (in the least selling body style) can't be good.

If they won't deal to your liking, do an online search yourself and find something comparable and give that dealership a shot.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to someone who recently bought a used large truck or large SUV. If you have purchased a used large truck or SUV in the past 6 months, and you are willing to discuss your decision with a reporter, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 1 p.m. Pacific/ 4 p.m. Eastern Wednesday, April 18, 2012 with your daytime contact information.
  • jimgoodejimgoode Member Posts: 1
    Getting ready to buy a silverado 1500 5.3 Z71 4x4 crew cab LT, List is 41,000.00 It is loaded,
    Could some one please tell me if the are haveing any problems with there truck!!! And what is a good price to buy at.... :blush:
    edited April 2012
    If you look at the other (Silverado) forums there are 14 very vocal people who are having issues.

GM sells over 500,000 trucks a year Silverado/Sierra combined.

You be the judge.
  • joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    All dealers in my area only have the toy trucks. We are looking for a Silverado 2500HD extended cab, long box, 2wd, heavy duty trailer package, diff lock, 4.10 rear axle ratio, side mirrors, cab lights - a WORK TRUCK for our farm.

Isn't that what a Chevy Truck is for? To work?

Just venting my frustruation that Chevy is not building enough work trucks. Totaled ours yesterday now cannot get a new replacement.
  • nitz1nitz1 Member Posts: 1
    So after reading some of the prices around I think I may have been took.

In march I bought a new 2012 4 door silver. z71 with 18" tires.

The truck listed for 38,800.

I traded in 2 vehicles for a total of 7000.

I put 0 down other than the trade ins.

I got the 0% financing and rolled the tax tittle and licence into the loan.

My loan came out to be 29,200.

Did I get screwed or what??
  • darkbludarkblu Member Posts: 5
    Sounds about right to me...I think a good deal on one of these should always get you about 10% off sticker which if you did that and subtracted the 7000 then add say 5% back in for TTL, it comes out to be slightly over what your loan says. I think you did fine.
    Are you an active duty member of the U.S. military in the process of shopping for a new or used car? A news reporter is interested in talking with you. Please contact pr@edmunds.com by June 30, 2012.
  • miked289miked289 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new Silverado 1500 in Georgia.

2012 Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab, 5.3L Vortec, Imperial Blue ($32,770)
    All-Star Edition ($2915 - $1500 package discount)
    Z-71 Off-Road Package ($345)
    17 inch On/Off Road Tires ($215)
    Destination ($995)

Total MSRP - $35,740

We qualified for the following incentives:

$3,000 - Manufacturer Cash Allowance
    $1,000 - Trade-in assistance
    $750 - USAA Exclusive
    $500 - Manufacturer Bonus Cash
    ----------
    $5,250 Total

We ended up paying $28,500 (+tax, tag, title, etc) and 2.74% APR for 60 months. Very happy with the truck and the deal.
    Just bought a new Silverado 1500 in Georgia.

2012 Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab, 5.3L Vortec, Imperial Blue ($32,770)
    All-Star Edition ($2915 - $1500 package discount)
    ====================================================
    I was real happy about the deal I made too, until I found out it didn't get the gas mileage shown on the EPA window sticker! I hope I can find a buyer for mine. GM won't make it good!!
  • miked289miked289 Member Posts: 2
    It is only a weekend car for me so I am not so concerned with MPG. We are getting about 16.5 though. About what I expected from a full size truck and local driving. Love the truck.
  • jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    You could have left some money on the table. If you are active/reserve/retired military you can get the preferred price on these trucks. Which could have saved you another few grand. If you don't fall into this category then no worries.
    It is only a weekend car for me so I am not so concerned with MPG. We are getting about 16.5 though. About what I expected from a full size truck and local driving. Love the truck.
    =====================================================
    That's better than the average "in town" driving MPG. It will probably get good MPG on the open road too. Consider yourself lucky, You must have one of those that do work properly. They do not all give the same performance. It mostly has to do with the Active Fuel management not working as advertised (changing V8 to V4 cylinder mode). This does not trigger a trouble code and they can't find a fix for those that don't work properly. You will be able to see on your DIC gauge that it's not dropping back to V4 when you are on flat highway, in cruise control at about 68+ MPH.
    "They do not all give the same performance. It mostly has to do with the Active Fuel management not working as advertised (changing V8 to V4 cylinder mode)."

String's truck isn't right and he wants everyone to know about it. That being said, this issues IS NOT a widespread problem. If you "google" this you will not find much at all!
    "They do not all give the same performance. It mostly has to do with the Active Fuel management not working as advertised (changing V8 to V4 cylinder mode)."

String's truck isn't right and he wants everyone to know about it. That being said, this issues IS NOT a widespread problem. If you "google" this you will not find much at all!
    =====================================================

Chuck has to be working for GM. According to him, GM can do no wrong
    I finally got the GM front office to look at my truck. Their engineers had me go to my local Chevy dealer. The service mgr. and mechanic road with me with my truck computer hooked up so they record its actual performance and send the results back to GM. I talked directly to the GM engineer. He said there was some drag on the engine, but they couldn't pin point it. However, he went on to say that it was working within normal limits (even though the AFM was not changing from V8 to V4 at 68+MPH on flat level hwy. and in cruise control) He also said that these truck engines are not designed to stay in V4 but just briefly because the catalytic converter would start cooling off and not stay in compliance with EPA emissions rules. I told him about Chuck and others who say they get 20 plus MPG and their AFM allows their engine to run in V4 for much longer periods of time. He didn't believe me, and said that those that are staying in V4, as stated, would NOT be working as designed. He saw that mine was staying in V8 almost 100% of the time. That was considered in the normal range, he said.
    Chuck, this is GM saying this, not me! AND I DID NOT MIS-UNDERSTAND HIM!
    We have ascertained that you have a bad truck. I am sorry. So most trucks ARE NOT LIKE YOURS. GM will not fix it. GM doesn't think there is a problem. You disagree. You are unhappy. You wish to try to hurt GM by continually posting your problem.

Is anything listed above not true?

BTW-I DO NOT WORK FOR GM!
    We have ascertained that you have a bad truck. I am sorry. So most trucks ARE NOT LIKE YOURS. GM will not fix it. GM doesn't think there is a problem. You disagree. You are unhappy. You wish to try to hurt GM by continually posting your problem.
    ====================================================

I really don't care if you are sorry or not! GM did acknowledge that there was a problem with my truck. My postings are mainly to let other potential buyers know that they may be left holding the bag if GM can't pinpoint a problem. Read my post again. It plainly states what they told me and they could see for themselves that the AFM was not activating. The AFM may be working okay, but they determined that the truck is creating just enough drag on the engine to keep the V4 mode from activating as it should on flat level highway at about 70MPH (just where you should get the most fuel savings). They said that couldn't determine a fix for it.
    I think most people would see things the same way I do if they had a vehiclle with 10,000 on it and a 100,000 mile guarantee and they were told a problem could'nt be fixed and they were left holding the bag. You might view things a little differently too if yours was not working properly and GM wouldn't correct it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Lets move on to discussions about vehicles, not each other...

thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    A not so long time ago
    I can still remember when
    Those lifted trucks made me smile
    But I knew that the one I drove
    I could step up to and easily load
    But now that Chevy changed the style
    Loading hay makes me quiver
    I need 5 inch heels when I deliver
    To unload from the rear step
    I couldn't take one more step!
    I can remember I don't need to try
    This is not the truck that I drove with pride
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the old truck died...

Why why did they change the design?
    Backed the Chevy to the trailer but the bed was too high
    Them good old boys lifted it up to the sky
    So I sat down on the ground and I cried
    I sat down on the ground and I cried
    We have such talent on this board. BTW GM sold over 300,000 units Chevy/GMC combined in July. They must be doing something right-

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/08/july-2012-top-15-pickup-truck-sales.html
  • ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    There are some very good deals going down right now on the Silverado. I just purchased a 2013 Silverado Crew Cab LT, with the “Texas Edition” package, for $26,388. There were a lot of qualifications on this deal:

Disclosure – Discounted price includes a $2,250 Davis Discount with Consumer Cash Rebate $2,500 and $1,000 Trade In Rebate. Must trade in a 1999 or newer vehicle with a $750 USAA rebate must be an USAA Insurance Holder or Member. $1500 Truck Loyalty (must own 99 or newer GM truck/suv, NOT reqd to trade in). $2,000 PDA/PEB/PDU package rebate. Plus ttl with approved credit.
  • stoneybrokestoneybroke Member Posts: 83
    Just bought an extended cab. Sticker was just shy of 41K. My cost was 26, 600 + tt.
    Yes, at least 10 grand off can be done-no problem.
    Congrats!
  • flsailor1flsailor1 Member Posts: 7
    I noticed that most rebates expire July 1st. I gotta believe that with the '14s coming on the lots that GM will extend or even improve the rebates. What do you all think?
    They are selling record numbers of 2013s now. I don't think they have a need to increase rebates.

SIlverado up 23%

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/06/usa-truck-sales-figures-best-sellers-may-20- 13.html
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I own a 2010 and just got a mailing from GMC. It looks like the extended cabs will be with 4 regular doors, as opposed to the suicide doors on the current model. I like the suicide doors with the access it gives and throw a lot of stuff back there. It may make the 2013 extended cabs pretty popular if you like that feature.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

Thanks, chuck1. Your link has sent me off to try to learn the supply levels in my area so as not to wait so long that the good deals on the '13s are all gone before I shop.
    I'm seeing a sticker that is effectively $38,600 with 5.8 L, 6 speed, 20" chrome wheels, tow package, chrome handles, easy lift tailgate, locking spare tire, dual zone AC, and a few other pretty things. The $9,000 off is composed of a $2,000 package discount, GM owner's discount, $1,000 trade allowance, and other parts that haven't been explained to me. Seems that the dealer's starting (and maybe firm) price point for me is $29,600. Does this seem like a good deal. Thanks everybody!
    edited June 2013
    Yes, there was a time were you could get 10grand off, but you can't now. I would verify they are giving you all the factory incentives and make a deal!
    $36,595 window sticker price, included $2,000 Regional Value Pkg Discount.
    I negotiated that down $705 to $35,890 then took off 2500, 1000, 1500 making it $30,890. I got 3,600 trade for my 2000 S-10 extended cab that only had 103,000 miles - that matched NADA's trade estimate. I also had a lot of GM card rebate to reduce the final price. I called around a bit but only visited my local dealer. Hope this helps the next buyer!
    A reporter is looking to talk with a Texas resident who's in the market for a new pickup truck. If you're able to help, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your preferred contact info by Thursday, September 26, 2013.
  • tamone1tamone1 Member Posts: 5
    I live in Maryland and just bought a brand new 2013 Silverado, V6, 4x4 regular cab w/long bed for $23,181 on the road. Is this a good price? The MSRP was $30,140.