Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

The car had a slow oil leak and the lower section of the engine block had deposits of old oil clinging to it.

I am surprised that wasn't discovered during routine maintenance.

tidester, host
  • rnbwtroutrnbwtrout Member Posts: 1
    My '90 4runner refused to shift this morning after turning a corner and I had to drive it home the whole time like that. The RPM just keeps climbing and I get no power. It seems like the automatic transmission is stuck in 1st gear. It's been sitting for about a week since I was out of town... Anyone have this problem before?
  • gumby2gumby2 Member Posts: 5
    I've just got bad news. I was told last Friday that my parts won't be in until July 8. Who knows how long they'll take to actually perform the repair.

On the upside, I've been putting a hell of a lot of miles on that Highlander they loaned me.
  • polartoypolartoy Member Posts: 18
    The greasing of the slip yokes does work. I have had it done on three forerunners so far. Sometimes they do a poor job of it and has to be redone. However when done right, the clunk is gone for quite a while. In Vancouver, they have started to do this on every oil change without asking, so you know there is a minor problem and many complaints.
    Polartoy
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Hate to say it, but that is a classic sign of an automatic transmission whose time on this planet is done. HOWEVER, if you are lucky, it just needs a good flush and refill - also clean the filter inside. Take it to one of those places that advertises a "power flush" of the transmission, get all the junk out and the filter cleaned, then cross your fingers when you drive out of there.

I am assuming this happened when it was cold, and from the very start it was not shifting? If it was shifting fine, then all of a sudden during the drive it stopped shifting, that is something else. Like maybe the shift linkage, hard to say from here.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• siedorasiedora Member Posts: 1
    My 4runner is doing the same thing. Did you find out what the problem was?

Rob
  • marchanmarchan Member Posts: 3
    I Own a 2004 4 runner sport edition the other day I decided to change the oil and oil filter, then the maint. light came on, I read somewhere in this forum some members were told to read the owner manual ,which would tell you how to re-set that light,I read the 409 pages and there is nothing on how to re-set that light,I want to avoid going to the dealer,Anybody can help me with this issue ,thank you for your time.
  • marchanmarchan Member Posts: 3
    I have the same car but my problem is with the Maint. light, I can find a way to turn it off sorry this can not help you
  • goshenbobgoshenbob Member Posts: 4
    We have the same vehicle. While I don't know which page the reference is on, it is in there.

Here's what you need to do - it's simple.

1) Before you start your engine, press (and keep pressed) the Odometer button (not the trip button) on your dashboard.

2) Insert your key into the ignition and start the engine. In 2-3 seconds, the MAINT light will flash several times and disappear.

I've got 26K miles on my vehicle so I've done this 5 times so far.

Hope this helps.
  • goshenbobgoshenbob Member Posts: 4
    Here's my latest dilema. The dealership I initially purchased my vehicle from was bought out by a competitor. Since that time, the service department has used the excuse that they've been too swamped to get programs set up or that the new dealership has graciously agreed to take care of my problem.

When they called to tell me my parts were in, I was informed that I would need to leave my car with them for 2-3 days. When I called to set up a time, I asked them if they'd be able to set me up with a loaner. Long story short, I was told that it was the policy of the new dealership that they didn't offer loaner cars.

I've gotten tired of dealing with these "professionals". I called another dealership, explained my situation and was informed that it was Toyota's policy that a customer having warranty work done which required an overnite stay would receive a loaner car. I guess my former dealership didn't get that memo.

As a result, I'm starting the process over and bringing my car in to my new dealership in the morning. Not surprisingly, they'll even give me a ride to work and pick me up after they're done looking at my car - as it should be.

A word of warning to anyone in the Northeast who's thinking about doing business with LIA TOYOTA - think twice. I have not found them to be customer friendly when it comes to such basic tasks as warranty work.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    it is in the manual. I'll try to check it tonight and point you to the page.
    Marchan:

I've got a 2003 4Runner, so my manual may be different than yours. But the information is in my manual. It took me about 5 minutes to find it. In the 2003 Manual, it is in Section 1-5, Operation of Instruments and Controls, page 123. It reads, in part:

"You need to reset the light after the engine oil replacement. Reset the light by following the procedure below:

1. Turn the ignition key to the off position with the odometer reading showing.
    2. Turn the ignition key to the on position while holding down the trip meter reset button. Hold down the button utnil the light goes off. Before the light goes off, it illuminates for 3 seconds, flashes for 2 seconds and illuminates for 1 second."

I'm sure the same information is in your manual as well. Unfortunately, the index in the manual is not that great.
  • fernnnfernnn Member Posts: 1
    Just recently I had come to find that my starter on my 2000 Toyota 4 Runner. I am not very mechanically inclined but recently have tried to do maintenance rather than paying a mechanic to do it. I went and purchased the starter but once I got underneath the carraige, I became frustrated as I disconnected the starter but realized that the two bolts that hold the starter are quite a pain to get to, and even more to loosen. It appears as though I need to remove part of the exhaust pipe that goes to the muffler but am a bit unsure. Any tips or advice would be helpful. :confuse:
  • beto4beto4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 92 4Runner with a new engine(65K) so they said.Right after new engine was installed the truck was kind of sluggish and lack of power, I checked the timing and it was set way too low(8) from the recommended from factory. I raised it a bit to 12 and the truck gained some considerable power, but the gas consumption still the same. It is using too much gas like 5 miles a gallon. Someone mentioned to replace the O2 sensor and the heave gas usage would stop. It is a bit expensive part to be guessing if it might solve the problem, all the tune parts in the truck are new, so that brings me to this forum to get new suggestions or ideas where to start.
  • malibures2001malibures2001 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 1999 4 runner limited. New issue that sometimes the electric lock on the drivers side locks and sometimes it doesnt? Sporadic problem, cant see any pattern. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    you don't have any dash lights, right?

It could be a plugged cat if power and gas mileage are down.

You should be able to get O2 sensors for fairly cheap, like $20, and they were right, that could be the cause of heavy gas consumption too, although that would not decrease power. Now that you have the timing at 12 degrees, do you feel it is as powerful as it ought to be, or still sluggish? I assume this is a truck you had for a while BEFORE the new engine was installed, right?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• beto4beto4 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for writitng, yes I have owned this truck since new and I love it except for the part when the engine went bad thanks to Jiffy Lube. By increasing the timing power is up but not like it used to, there is a bit of sluggishness still. I called the dealer and couple other places for the O2 sensor and they all have it over $100 bucks, where can I find it for $20?
  • jim58jim58 Member Posts: 20
    Sorry for the dalay but not looked at this site in a few weeks. The problem seems to be in Toyota's design. I think they made the system read higher mileage in order to entice test drivers to buy that particular vehicle since it is showing higher mileage than on the window sticker. Mine shows higher mileage by quite a bit and it is allways 86% lower than actual displayed mileage. Such as, when the computer shows 19.00 mpg, we are actually getting 16.34 mpg.

I also noted that I reset the average speed to zero and set the vehicle on 60 mph on cruise control which it maints accurately, and the average speed shows 58 mph! This leads me to believe that the odometer reading the computer gets is less than actual which could account or the error. Of course, Toyota denies any problems in this system and will not investigate it. I intend to file suit against Toyota and the arbitration company who refused to test drive the vehicle during our hearing!
    In my experience, the mileage computers in many cars are not that accurate. My 2000 VW GTI's computer also overestimated mileage by 1-3 mpg.

I will be very surprised if you win a lawsuit over this.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    I have had similar experience in every one of my vehicles. The mileage has overestimated by 1-3 mpg. I don't think that the computer is intended to be an actual, but rather just an estimate.
    Even at my dealer O2 sensors aren't $100. What's up here? The last time I bought one was a couple of years back, could they have gone up 50% in that time? At AutoZone they are like $29.95 if they have them in stock, which is admittedly rare.

• edgarrichedgarrich Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,
    I hope sombody can help me.
    I have a problem with the code for the radio, I know that I can go to the Dealer but if somebody here knows how to reset and set a new code I would be thankful.
    My 4runner is 1994 SR5 V6 :confuse:
  • hrhchac528hrhchac528 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm new at this so bear with me please. Does anyone know the procedure, or how to "program" a key for an 03 4Runner? I just bought one and the guy gave me two keys. He said the spare would unlock the doors but it won't start the truck until it's been "programmed'. He said he was told some sequence to go through, but it had to be done in a given amount of time and he could never get everything done in the alotted time. The local Toyota dealership (thieves) want forty bucks to program it. Sounds like a scam to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    I agree, good luck with it. My mileage computer is overly optimistic too (about 10%). I've never heard of one that under estimates the mileage, much less accurate.
  • kwilliams770kwilliams770 Member Posts: 1
    My son has a 95 4Runner. We were told this year was known to have that ticking sound. I am not so sure as the engine blew last week.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    Sounds like an interesting lawsuit!?

I would not expect the computer to be exact but rather within a 5% error range which is fairly typical of all cars I own. Buy a GPS or 2 and you will find that most cars typically overread slightly on speed and also on the odometer. My BMW has a 3% odometer and a 6% speedometer overread at speeds above 40MPH. It helps in keeping me out of Highway Patrols sights. Remember that if you change tire size, or any gearing you will also need to either recalibrate or account for that change.

My 4Runner (2005 V8 4WD) appears to be very accurate with speed and odometer. The computer is optimistic by about 2 MPG, but I just adjust for it. It's not a Cessna airplane so if its a bit out it is of no great concern.

Be aware that GPS's also have slight errors which typically relate to reception so they may also contribute to the error if you check it this way.
  • jd5jd5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a very annoying problem that seems to be getting worse in that the vent/AC fan has begun squeaking constantly when the fan is turned on to any level. I assume that it needs to be lubricated but I'm not sure if the fan is accessible to me without having to tear out the dashboard.

Anyone ever have this problem before and is the fan easy to get to? It seems to be somewhere in the area behind the radio in the center of the dash? At least that's where the noise seems to come from. What would the proper lubricant be, dry (graphite) or wet???

Thanks for any help!
  • chawk1chawk1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if a tailpipe extension leading exhaust to the side of the car eliminates the problem of the sulfur smell with the back window down?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the Sulfur from 2003 4Runner discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • edgarrichedgarrich Member Posts: 2
    Does somebody have the owner's manual? there is a section that refers to the security of the radio, and the procedure to enter the code, can somebody type those instruction here. I don't know, but maybe the reset procedure also is there.
    advise please.

Thanks.
  • wantitfixedwantitfixed Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 toyota 4runner v6 engine that idles rough when stopped, but smoothes out when when i give it gas. Why? I could hopefully fix it myself if i have a directions to go in. can any help? could it be a fuel injector - if so how can i tell? could it be a burnt valve? any help would be grateful!!
  • gtwgtw Member Posts: 46
    did you figure out the problem yet? I'm experiencing this with a 1991 4runner V6 automatic.
  • elflippoelflippo Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem So I changed the following items. Spark plugs, wires,and Distributor Cap and Rotor. I gain more power when accelrating but still had rough idle and hesitation on accelaration. The shop manual suggest checking the water temperature sensor and the EGR gas temperaure sensor when I fined the list of possible causes I will posted it for you. I put a 14 k resistor into the EGR gas temperature sensor plug to simulate the sensor and make the ECU think the sensor was good. This took care of the hesitation on accelaration but still have rough idle. When update when i fix it
  • gtwgtw Member Posts: 46
    91 V6 4runner. Replaced the ignitor with a used one 9 months ago and am now down again. Truck turns over but does not spark. tested coil and it is fine. Would a bad rotor or bad distributor stop it from sparking? I think it is the ignitor again.
  • dahlemddahlemd Member Posts: 7
    I have less than 600 miles on a 05 4runner and I just noticed a creaking noise near the right rear wheel well. This noise occurs especially when I'm making a turn, and it's becoming quite frequent and annoying. I have removed all loose item in the storage compartment but it makes no difference. Any ideas?
  • wantitfixedwantitfixed Member Posts: 2
    Have you checked your compression? We checked ours last night and the #6 cylinder is at 60 pounds and the rest are at 130-150 pounds. Could this be our only problem?
  • 4runnerguy14runnerguy1 Member Posts: 6
    I am experiencing the same exact problem on my 05 4Runner as well with less than 1500 Miles. I dropped it at the dealership today, let's see what they come back with. Rear Right side making creaking sound when making turns at slow speed. Will keep you updated.
  • 4runnerguy14runnerguy1 Member Posts: 6
    The dealership has ordered rear body mount to fix this issue. Please let me know if you find anything otherwise.
  • mrgoodwrench1mrgoodwrench1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same car and starter. It's clicking alot so I think I'll need to replace it. I have a repair manual I'm looking at tonight.
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    Wow i thought i was the only one. I have an 05 4runner too and is experiencing the same creaking noise but my sound like its in the vehicle itself. I thought it was the right rear seat clamps squeaking!! new body mount huh. I have an appointment with toyota tomorrow i will bring this to their attention. :D
  • cebuttn1cebuttn1 Member Posts: 1
    This vehicle has 92,000 miles on it. It recently had an alignment done on it, the mechanic says there are no loose steering components. Anyway, this car wants to go left and right depending on the road surface, even at expressway speeds. Could this be a power steering pump? I don't think it has a steering stabilizer, anyway Haynes says there isn't one. It handles pretty well if you just hang onto the steering wheel tight, but thats a lot of work. :shades:
    Did you just put new tires on it? Different tires handle differently, and some will squirm and follow the road's surfaces more than others. It's definitely not the P/S pump, but if you feel it is excessive (more than just tire squirm) then it is likely an alignment problem, or there is something loose or broken somewhere. In that case you should take it somewhere different from the last place and get a second opinion.

wantitfixed: low compression in one cylinder usually will not cause a surging idle - I had a bad cylinder at 180K, and it still idled normal (it just had no power). That's usually caused by a bad valve, expensive to fix.

Surging and wandering idles are usually caused by bad sensors, or a malfunctioning ECU or MAF. Make sure the O2 sensors are fine, as they are the most common cause of problems like this.

gtw: I think you're right - bad ignitor.

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    My Corolla's fan was squeaking, motor is not able to be lubed, so I replaced it. Cost of fan and motor was about $60. It's easy to change yourself - 30 minutes, at least on a Corolla.
  • mprichmomprichmo Member Posts: 6
    The passanger side review mirror on my 2001 4Runner Vibrates. Does anyone know how to tighten the actual mirror part?
  • jimle115jimle115 Member Posts: 2
    my 4Runner 1999 Ltd. has the same problem. Right Rear Wheel, it noise, leaking....
    I went to ToyotaDealer they told me rear exhaust needs to be fixed. It costs $250.
    After It fixed until today, it seems to be OK.

Good luck
    Jim
  • jimle115jimle115 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

That's the safety feature of lights. If you tell your Car Insurnace Agent this, you should be some discount on it.

That's NOT a problem at all; your SUV is working great ! ! !

good luck
    Jim
    :):):)
  • mitchinpamitchinpa Member Posts: 40
    Picked up my 2000 4Runner 2 nights ago after an oil change. The service dept was already closed when I picked it up, and I noticed a note at the bottom of the invoice stating the Rear Bell Crank was seized. Is that part of the e-brake or part of the suspension? Is it an easy fix? Any help would be appreciated!
  • pagrishpagrish Member Posts: 1
    How can I get the antenna motor to stop running. Is there a fuse that I can pull. For a long time it would run loudly each time I turned on the radio. This morning it just keeps running with the engine off and the key out??? Help!!! :cry:
  • foreman1063foreman1063 Member Posts: 17
    Have any of you guys here replaced the rear axle seals on a mid 90's 4runner. I discovered today my drivers side rear(94 4wd) is leaking and I'd like to change it out my self. I'm mechanically inclined so I don't think it will be a problem but just wondering if anyone has done it and can give me some advice and point me in the right direction.
    Thanks, John
  • tpattersontpatterson Member Posts: 1
    Trying to find a factory style/type 3 to 4 wire replacement converter box for my 1999 4-Runner. Also would appreciate any information on how the factory originally installed the trailer light connections on the vehicle.

The right brake light on my boat trailer does not work. Tracing the wires, it shows that the pigtail plug-in on my 1999 4-Runner has a dead right brake light connection, rather than something being wrong with the trailer lights themselves or the trailer wiring. I belive that the 4-runner wiring was a factory(?) installation, since the vehicle came with a towing pkg. I bought it used in 2002. I'm NOT SURE, but I think the converter box is integral with the pigtail connection mounted on the bottom of the rear bumper. Can anyone confirm this? A wire bundle comes out of the car by the rear bumper, to the trailer light connector, but I haven't undone the covering to count the wires to see if it's four or three wires in the bundle, since it is difficult to get under the vehicle as well as extremely hot now.

I've found a replacement at Advance Auto that has the converter integral with the connector, but it doesn't have any way way to mount it under the rear bumper.
    The Toyota dealer was willing to sell me a complete wiring harness for $195.00, but I declined, after laughing loudly.
    I need to get this fixed before I trailer the boat again, probably this weekend.