Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sdemonsdemon Member Posts: 2
    Hello Kingcomedic,

I have the same problem with my 99 4runner limited.... I've been told by the dealership that I have a faulty ECU, to the tune of $400 to replace. Did you find out what your problem was related to? Corrective action?

Thanks,
    Sdemon..
  • sdemonsdemon Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 99 4runner...pwr locks will unlock, but will not will not lock with remote, nor switch on either front door. Did replacing this fuse / junction box correct your problem? I've been told by the Toyota dealership that I need a new ECU to the tune of $400. I had the acuator replaced in the front door about 8 months ago already!!!!
    Any feedback on this issue would be appreciated....
  • c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    Front suspension problems could hinder steering and cause crash.
    Models:
    774,856 vehicles including 01-02 4Runner, 01-04 Tacoma, and 02-04 Sequoia and Tundra. Hazard exists because front suspension lower ball joint could wear excessively and become loose, resulting in increased steering effort. If the lower ball joint separates completely, driver could lose steering ability.
  • mbizzlembizzle Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2001 4runner sr5 and today when i started up the trac off, vsc, and check engine lights came on all at the same time. yesterday the lights were off like normal and i am pretty concerned. has anyone had this problem before, and if you have what should i do?
  • rbarry01rbarry01 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE A DRIVE LINE VIBRATION BETWEEN 45 MPH AND 55MPH.AT DEALER ONE TECH SAYS THEY ALL DO IT OTHER TECH SAYS HE CAN NOT FIND IT. CUSTOMER SERVICE REP AT DEALER SAYS THEY ARE WORKING ON A FIX,BUT HAVE NOT SOLVED IT YET???
  • charlie4runnercharlie4runner Member Posts: 22
    Did you ever get anything done to the Transmission. I have the same problem. The thud usally occurs when just coming to a complete stop.

It even happens after a complete stop. Feels like someone rear ended you.

Do any others have this problem? Your explanation sounds good, especially coming from a Dealer.

The Dealer told me they all do this. To prove it, he let me have a 03 4Runner Demo. It did nothing. It actually drove smoother than my 04.

Still not satisfied
  • jotoyjotoy Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased an 88 4-Runner for the deer lease. It had a bad oil leak which I had repaired at a large cost. Now I'm having problems with the electrical system. I have a new battery, and the Altenator has been checked both on and off the vehicle and is said to be good. When I turn on anything, wipers,headlights,blinkers, fan, cig lighter it tries to die and will not run properly. It's in an elecrical shop right now and they are saying they can not find the problem. Any ideas? I need help. I am already above my budget on this one.. Thanks Joe
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I would think that would have to be a short somewhere, which is a notoriously difficult problem to track down at the best of times. Is the battery ever dead when you didn't expect it to be?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mprichmomprichmo Member Posts: 6
    It means the computer has registered a fault code. Did you recently get gas? I had that happen on my 2001 SR5. It could be something as simple as the gas cap was not tight enough and the emissions system registered a gas vapor leak. Have someone check the fault code and go from there.
  • jdp2jdp2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 4Runner as well. Right brake and turn signal are out. Hmmm?

I didn't disassemble the connector under the bumper. Couldn't get a socket on the hex head screws. But I did expose the wires. It has four wires. I'm not getting volts to the green wire. Otherwise it behaves as one would expect a flat pack four to behave.

I believe that converter is further up the wiring harness. I got burned for the $195 the last time this happened. Not only that, he told me that they were really sensitive and could blow very easily. But I had a brand new boat to tow so I shelled out the bucks. Worked for three years. I'm guessing I got water in the light and it shorted blowing the converter.

So I too am looking for a better solution.

Let me know if you got it fixed and how.

Thanks
  • cttoycttoy Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone tell me if they have had a problem with the gas gauge not working properly. Most of the time when I start the car the gauge remains on E and the light stays on even with a full tank. Usually within 10 miles it shows the correct gas level. Sometimes this problem does not happen at all. Toyota wants $93 just to look. Can anyone help? Thanks!
  • etheridgeetheridge Member Posts: 3
    does anyone have the instructions for programming the key fob?
    I have a key fob that needs to be programmed. It is shaped like a boomerang and has 3 buttons (red, black, and green) with a remote engine start feature. I am looking for the instructions for programming but I'm not sure if it will work anyway.
    also, how do you tell whether your problem is the remote or the receiver? if it is the receiver what can be done?
  • waterlessmikewaterlessmike Member Posts: 1
    I drove my 4 runner this weekend approx 125 mile of highway driving first the tranny appeared wobbbly it came out of gear. the vehicle sat for the next 2 days today it was hauled to a tranny dealer he checked it out and found no problems he drove the vehicle approx 15 km about 1.5 hours of highway driving later it started to loose power in all 5 gears I pulled over the vehicle rested for 5 minutes . I drove away 10 minutes later I encountered the same thing rested the vehicle for a couple of minutes same thing . I then drove the last 10 minutes home I thought it was going to die within 100 feet of our home. Anybody got any suggetions I have replaced virtually everything on this vehicle it is a 1993 four runner with 284,000 kms on it. Could it be the cadiliytic converter overheating ????? :confuse: :confuse:
    I am pretty sure that is an aftermarket remote starter isn't it? In which case you will have to contact the company that sold it to get instructions.

waterless mike: that is the strangest tale I have ever heard. if your truck is an automatic, then it is possible it just got nudged out of gear, yes? If it is a manual and it popped out of gear, that is not a good sign, but it wouldn't have anything to do with reduced power.

It is hard to understand the rest of your story. Was the truck bucking? Was there a burning smell like stuck brakes? Did you have it floored? If you did, was it revving high or just not revving?

cttoy: it is either a bad connection behind the gauges, or a sender going bad in the tank. Unfortunately, if it is in the tank, it will be expensive to get fixed. If it is behind the dash, you may be able to fix it yourself. Have you had any reason to remove any part of the dash recently?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• jay25jay25 Member Posts: 10
    I would appreciate you sharing with us what fixed your problem. I am experiencing the same problem. The shop replaced my fuel pressure regulator but I still have the rough idle and hesitation on acceleration. Thanks.
  • jotoyjotoy Member Posts: 2
    It seems the problem was bad grounding. The shop replaced every ground on the vehicle. Runs perfect now. Took it to the lease yesterday. Now I have wheel bearing problems. Never done a 4 wheel drive front wheel bearing. I guess she'll be going back to the shop this week. Thanks for your suggestions....
  • jalinjalin Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to find the cause of this issue. Today out of the blue my engine started running rough and hesitated when accellerating. When I stopped at a light it seem as though it wanted to shut off. I put the truck in neutral and it seem to calm down a bit, but when I put it back in drive there was still hesitation. After a while the check engine light came on. When I got home, I opened the hood and noticed how hard the engine was vibrating during idle Has anyone experience this issue?
    Thud in Tansmission or as some people put it "Clunk". I got it fixed by my dealer. Had another appointment to take the Tech for a drive early morning so he can try to experience the thud. No such luck- When I arrived at the Dealer, he had order a new drive shaft. He had called Toyota Canada and they told him to order a new Drive shaft under warranty.

It is now changed, and working well. I've originally tried the "grease the yoke" solution, but that didn't cut it.

A happy camper now. :)
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    Did you feel this thud when you release the brake pedal sometimes? If so i experience that on my 03 limited, but trade it and got an 05 v8 sport. No thud yet. :shades:
  • kingkrikkitkingkrikkit Member Posts: 1
    jalin :
    I am experiencing the SAME EXACT problem in my 96 4runner. Three weeks ago out of no where I started her up and the engine was vibrating like crazy, and there was serious hesitation along aith the rough run. The check engine light came on but then after driving a few minutes it stopped, odd i know. so this went on for two days, it would SOMETIMES start rough then eventually it would "drive itself out", but not always. sometimes it ran smooth as normal. When the diagnostic is run, it comes up as cylinder #2 is misfiring. Well at this point its been to the mechanic 3 times and the "check engine" light is still on and doing the same thing, and hes so far replaced a ignition coil and a fuel injector... if any one can help that would be great, but my mechanic is frustrated as well, becuase it never seems to run rough when he has, only when Ive left the shop and driven... even wierder that hes easily put 50-60 miles on it trying to repaet the problem I keep running into. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Kris
    The thud was very noticable. It wasn't the brake calipers releasing or anything like that. I'd be at a full stop, and you'll feel a pretty hard thud as if you're pulling a trailer where the ball and tongue is not adjusted properly. It was strange because I couldn't figure what could cause that at complete stop.
  • saksak Member Posts: 2
    I am not satisfied with the response from the Toyota service departments I have worked with over the last several months. I was wondering if there's someone that might have taken their concerns to a higher level and if so, could you direct me to names of who I could contact with my concerns. Thanks.
  • hitnrunhitnrun Member Posts: 5
    Just a week ago I bought my 4x4 4runner, auto tranny. Was exactly what I wanted, the price was right, and it ran great. Just last night I experienced a hesitation when the tranny wanted to shift down from overdrive. If I kept my foot very steady on the accelerator, it would keep bucking but maintain speed. If I backed off, it stayed in overdrive. If I gave it more, it went ahead with the downshift. On my trip back home an hour later, I couldn't get it to repeat this. Any help? I'm worried now after being extremely pleased with this purchase. :confuse:
  • hp11rthp11rt Member Posts: 1
    Every time the air temp is above 80 and my '04 4runner has been parked outside, the A/C will not blow cold air for ten minutes or longer. If the 4runner is started after being in my garage or the outside air temp is below 80, it blows cold. I have a 2004 Honda accord and a Dodge Van that don't have this problem under the same conditions. I've tried running the A/C with the recirculation on and off, adjusted the climate temp to low and also tested with the auto climate control off.

Is there a sensor that could cause this problem if the interior reaches a certain temperature?
  • awguthrieawguthrie Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1993 4 Runner with the 3.0 V6. A few years ago it was discovered the head gasket was bad, and I (Toyota Dealership)replaced the short block. This was in Riverhead NY, and the 4 Runner had 118,000 on it. It now has 178,000 and has had a major head gasket eruptin/incident.
    My question, and I only ask out of desperation, is...Is there any other possibilities of getting a hand from Toyota service?.. I am always on top of the maintenance, fluids, timing belts etc, and am very disappointed that this block only made it 60,000.
    Don't get me wrong, if I had the coin I'd "get r dun". l've become very attached to that truck, and would love have it fix, and buy additional Toyotas. It's just that this my medical bills have taken the pep from my step!!!!!
    ....how about granting a $4325 trade in on a new or used 2005?...The financial hardship came at the worst possible time, and...it's just another cut..and straw (death by 1000 cuts & the straw that broke....) The only thing keeping me from being recalled to the Army (I did 20) is medical and family hardships...And this added to everything else is discocerting....SOOOO..any thoughts PLEASE......
    Thanks,
    AWG
    PS1-vin # JT3VN39W2P0104004
    PS 2- if I can't get this fixed I'll have loads of mechanical parts and completly "rust free" body parts (from living in AZ and Florida)
    PS3-Toyota letter below.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We apologize for the concern with the headgaskets on your 1993 4Runner. Please accept our apologies for this situation and for any inconvenience you have experienced. Toyota makes every effort to manufacture a quality product, conducting extensive research and planning, thorough testing, and constant monitoring of performance.

Your warranty coverage has exceeded the 3-year/36,000 comprehensive warranty, as well as the 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

We apologize, we are not in a position to assist with the cost of this repair.

Please review our Warranty Coverage FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) for further information.

In the interest of customer service we invite you to contact us by calling 800-331-4331. We are available from 6 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday.

We appreciate the opportunity to review your request.

Your email is documented at our National Headquarters under file #200501190496. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Toyota Customer Experience
  • alfaalfa Member Posts: 11
    I am sorry about you hardships You got to drive your vehicle for a large amount of miles not toyota .Paying for repairs or the replacement cost of the vehicle is your payment for miles used. At some point ,everyone has to pay for the use of the product they bought.Most of the cost is up front as when you purchaced your vehicle.In the same way would you return a pair of shoes after walking on them for a year and want a new sole for free? If you don't want you car to break don't drive it.Kind of dumb but if you drive it it will break and your will pay for it.
  • andersnwandersnw Member Posts: 2
    Jalin,

Any updates on your situation? I am having the exact same problem, except it's the #4 cylinder that is missing and I have a 98' 4Runner. I brought it in to a Toyota dealership and they ran a bunch of tests and told me that they "were confident" that it was a fuel injector problem. They did an injector flush but that didn't work. Then they thought I should just replace that fuel injector but it sounds like that didn't work for you. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Nick
    That is too bad about your truck. Unfortunately, at almost 180K, you are well past the point where Toyota would help you out at all.

If it is any consolation, there are still used engines available in some parts of the country for these trucks, which you could have installed for perhaps $1500 out the door. Obviously, replacement of just the head gasket will run you less (as long as the head was not damaged when the gasket blew), but the used engine would have the advantage of lower miles.

These are durable trucks. It will probably give you several more years if you do the head gasket.

• outpostoutpost Member Posts: 1
    just bought my 1st 4-runner, a 1990. AC button left of heater controls has a green light when the heat is on.....is this AC? The button doesn't seem to actually push in or out. Thanks.
    yes, that is the A/C button, and if the green light is on then it is running, if it still works. And the button should push in and out, so if it doesn't, it is stuck. I've never seen that happen, so I am not exactly sure what you do to fix it, but I imagine you find a way to pry the button out, or remove that part of the center stack.

• jalinjalin Member Posts: 2
    Nick,

I took my 4runner to a local mechanic and what it turned out to be was the ignition wires (Sparkplug). Somehow the one going to cylinder 3 arced. The mechanic replaced all the wires for 65.00 and reset the check engine light for 55.00 and charged 65.00 for labor. Try changing the wires. I hope that's all it is for you. Let me know.

James :)
  • doggydogdoggydog Member Posts: 10
    I took off the spare tire exactly the same day one month ago; everything is fine until today:the tire pressure monitor lights went on! I know that the spare tire is also monitored but why the low pressure light does not go on until 30 days later?

I found this annoying and, if I don't want to put the spare back, anybody knows how to disable tire pressure monitor system?

Thanks!
  • udsavudsav Member Posts: 11
    Maybe the pressure went down?
    All 4 tires are above recommended pressure level.
    And later I lowered them to recommended level - didn't help.
  • ken67ken67 Member Posts: 2
    we've had a 2000 4-runner since new. all maintenance done at dealer by the book. have 124000 km on it. squealing sound when put into drive or reverse. they say it's the torque converter. also they say 1000.oo to repair but not necessary as far as safety or damage is concerned. any ideas?
  • thumper4runnerthumper4runner Member Posts: 1
    Hi Charlie:

I have a 2004 4 Runner v8 as well and have the exact same problems you have described in your email thread. Have you had any luck at getting a resolution to the problem.

My email is aarond20012001@yahoo.com
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    I am trying to understand what you are saying? Is the spare currently on the truck, or did you take it off? Is the light flashing or on steady? It will take time for the light to sense the spare is not there, if it is not on the truck. If you park the truck near the spare with in a certain distance the monitor will register it. So if you drive one time for a long period the light will flash, but if you park it anywhere near the spare it should go out again. Please reply.
  • ken67ken67 Member Posts: 2
    have 2000 4-runner. all service at dealer since we bought new. squeals when put into drive or reverse. they think it's the torque converter. thousand bucks to fix. they say it isn't necessary to fix. will this cause bigger problems down the line? help....
    Thanks for helping out!
    When the truck reached 5000 miles (18th of July), I took it to Belle Tires and let them have the 5 tires rotated, that is, took the spare (new)out, let it join the 4 wheels, and took one tire out of the 4 tires that were being used and I brought it into my garage and since then, my truck does not have spare tire on it.

The light did not go off until exactly one month later (18th of Aug). And yes it is flashing, not steady.

BTW, what do yo mean by "PARK" near the spare? Put the spare on the ground and drive to park above it??

Do I have to put the spare tire back?

The tire pressure monitoring system is a Pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to me. Lots of people in other forums talked about it.

I really wish I could just switch the whole thing off. What will happen if I just take the sensors off?

THX!
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    The tire pressure monitor is picking up the spare tire in your garage. If you don't drive to far before returning home the light probably will not come on. When you drove it on Aug. 18th did you drive for a longer period of time with out turning it off? Also how far from the truck is the spare tire in the garage? The best thing to do is put the tire back on the car. How far and long do you drive the truck in a normal day? If you usually drive a short distance each day that is why the light took so long to come on.
  • blissendenblissenden Member Posts: 1
    I got my 2005 Sport in Jan, 2005. I've had it into the dealer 3 times for this same thing....First time, they said it was most likely the gas cap wasn't on tight....Second time, they couldn't tell and just reset it.....Third time, they saw I had run the speaker wire for my hands-free cell phone under the dash....Said a Toyota Engineer was on site, who said that was the problem. I re-routed the wire, so it's no closer than 2 feet from the dash....The lights have come on again!

Looks like I'm going in for the fourth time....Last time I was in, they said something about replacing the charcoal canister....Sounds like they still think it has something to do with the gas sensor.....Anyone have similar problems?
    Put the spare back and the blinking light simly went away.

Thanks!
  • andersnwandersnw Member Posts: 2
    I got my car fixed over the weekend. Turned out that the injector was broken. They replaced it and now it runs perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Nick
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Your dealer is an idiot. Take it to another dealer. I also had this happen, but my trouble was identified and repaired. Several prior posts also mention this happening, but the fix varies. The alarm apparently is generic for several things that can go wrong. But you need to try another dealer.
  • paranavsparanavs Member Posts: 4
    I'm new to this forum. I 've got 2005 4Runner SR5 V8 and want to do the regular maintenance myself. One of the items in the list is to Lubricate the propeller shaft and re-troque prop shaft bolts.
    I think I've located these components but to be sure could anyone explain what is prop shaft spiders and slide yokes... what is double cardan joint?

Since I do not have the service manual yet a picture of an exploded view of these items would be much appreciated.

And how much torque toyota recommends on the prop shaft bolts?
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    Yes I did have experienced the samething you have. Toyota try to tell me by putting gas in the vehicle while the truck is on will cause the check engine light to come on. What finally solved my problem was they change the valve to the charcoal canister then the canister itself and that did the trick. Otherwise they were about to take out my gas tank all together. Let them change the canister and the canister valve with a heavy-duty valve because it seems that the fumes from the gas tank is effecting the gas tank sensor. Which may cause the check engine/vsc trac light to come on. If that don't work invoke the lemon law. ;)
  • sdl266sdl266 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have 2001 4runner, SR5 4WD. I recently was hit on the left rear bumper, the damage is minimal, but I would like to replace the bumper. I have priced some parts on line and was wondering if something like this could be replaced by a novice like me or should I just leave it to a bodyshop.

If this is something that could be done rather easily, what would be a good source for information on how to complete the repair.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

SDL
  • jusamaphonicjusamaphonic Member Posts: 10
    I am currently attempting to replace the starter myself in a 91 4WD, and I am having similar problems. I have yet to get the two bolts out that hold the starter in... one of the bolts is backed out all the way, and is hitting against the suspension. Perhaps if I jack the truck up by the body this will help? It does not appear as though I can even get to the electrical contacts until I get the starter out. The ground connection is a huge monstrosity that I am unfamiliar with- it almost looks like an oversized scotch connecter. I don't think I'll have to remove the wheel, but it might make it easier (especially if I have the truck up anyways).

You were right...the repair manual was shoddy at best on this one!