Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• chris_gchris_g Member Posts: 4
    No. She doesn't ride the brakes she just does a fair amount of city driving. At this rate I am getting brake jobs evry 5 - 6 months. It is getting to be a real pain but I can't believe this is normal.
  • pasta75pasta75 Member Posts: 7
    Sorry, yes right now I am running (31x10.50xR15) and they fit fine. I want to go to a (33x12.50xR15). So, I don't know if I put a 2.5 inch suspension lift if they will work properly off road. I have recently saw two toyota tacomas' with this size tire on them and they did fit, as I am sure it would on my truck as well. But going off roading is where I am concerned. I don't know if there will be enough clearance with 2.5 inches of suspension lift. Even if it is, I am still unsure if my truck will have enough guff to run them, since this vehicle is also my daily driver, I don't know if I will have to change the gearing to get my truck to continue to perform properly. By the way, your right, the V6 is kind of a dog, I already have a complete exhaust system just begging to be put on but, it will have to wait till this spring.
    I also had a similar problem and I could not figure it out, even my gas milage was dropping. It wasn't until I had new tires put on my 1992 toyota 4runner that I found out what the problem was! My problem was that my front calipers were dragging. When I depressed the brake pedal everthing felt fine. So I took their advice and changed both of the front calipers myself, check around for pricing if you decide to do this the price range really varies but the installation was not difficult at all. Or maybe toyota will warranty them for you since your 4runner isn't that old. Yeah, so any it did fix the problem. Hope this helps.
    Hi, I have a 1992 toyota 4runner that has the same problem but it only happens once in a while. Sometimes I press on the brake petal I hear the same noise. I have had the vehicle for 4 years now and have done some work on it, pads, calipers, replacing brake lines, but the noise still comes back every once in a while. I also tried bleading the entire system, checked all the brake lines and everything is seemed OK. I think this is just a toyota thing, because I have heard other toyota owners mention the same problem. Hope this helped out.
    I have a 1992 toyota 4runner that had the same problem and I can tell you definitely were to look! Just behind the passenger rear tire. Now you won't be able to see were I am talking about unless you jack up the rear of the vehicle. I had this problem for a few months and just couldn't find it until my brakes stopped working, that was not fun! Ok, so anyway jack up the rear of the vehicle and you'll see a tee in center of the rear axle where the two brake lines come together from the rear brakes. From there it almost goes straight up to a beam and goes to the right of the truck. From there the brake lines turn towards the front of the truck and then turn again towards the left side of the vehicle. It is at this turn that my brake line failed. I had to cut the line at a straight point and put in a compression fitting and run the new break line to the tee. I will save you some trouble here because I looked around for a DOT approved compression fitting (their black) and I couldn't find one so I had to use the gold one (I have been running my truck for a year and a half now with now more problems), but don't worry because it is in such a hidden place, know one can see it, so there will be no problem passing inspection. Another thing, while your there you will probably notice that the other brake line is rusted as well, might as well replace it because after I did the one brake line, the other one went about 3 months later in the same spot. Finally, (sorry this is so long) you will have to wiggle your way in there often using just one hand to work, so if you decide to do this yourself, you will have to sent aside some time and patience before you do this. Hope this helps you out.
    Ok first off let me say she is getting screwed...big time. I have a 1992 4runner and just this past july and I had to replace the starter. I have a V6 in mine and I don't know if she has the V6 or 4cylinder but if you do it, it should be in the same place. YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THE ENGINE OUT TO REPLACE IT!!!!!!!!!! The starter is in a bad spot, yes but it can be taken out of this tight area. It did take some maneuvering but I got the old one out and the new one in, in 3 hours. If you any other doubts, just contact any toyota dealership and talk to anyone in the service department and they'll tell you the same thing. Hope this helped. P.S. she should get a new mechanic!
    I have a 1992 toyota 4runner V6 4WD. I have a noise that I don't really know how to describe other than it makes me cringe every time I hear it! When I turn the wheel to lock, right or left, it makes this really horrible noise. After having the vehicle for 4 years I have replaced many front end parts not trying to correct the problem but because they were worn out and I had hoped that at the same time it would correct this noise I have been hearing but it hasn't. I have replaced the Upper and Lower ball joints (both sides), the whole tie rod assemblies(both sides), both front drive shafts, repact all the front end bearings, greased all of the front end fittings and I have gotten rid of the the original wheels for some chrome ones. But I am still hearing this noise everytime I turn the wheel to lock( right or left!) Has anyone else had this problem or heard of how to correct it? Its driving me crazy because I don't know what else it could possibly be!...HELP!!!!
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    I'll take a stab at this, it's so simple that it seems too simple to solve your problem. There is a suspension "stop" on each one of the steering knuckles. The suspension butts up against them each time you turn the wheel to lock in either direction, and they do make a hell of a noise (scrapping rubbing noise) when you hit them. I solved it by putting a good coating of ball joint grease on each stop. It's a simple cheap fix if it works, nothing to lose. Hope this helps.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the stops are worn out, and two screws are rubbing together. This is an extremely common problem with this vehicle when it gets old, and in fact I posted a link to a website that describes it in detail on this very thread some time ago. Google Toyota 4Runner zerk stops and you will get more info than you could ever want. You can fix them or you can leave them, I just left mine and made a mental note never to crank it all the way over. But I am lazy! :-)

pasta: wish I could tell you for sure. I knew someone with a Runner running 32x11.50s with a 2" lift like mine, he was fine offroad. I have seen Runners with MAJOR lifts running 33" tires, but none with a smaller lift like that. Wanna go with a 32" tire instead?! :-/

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• chogullchogull Member Posts: 2
    :mad: I have a 95 4runner.
    I tried recharging the AC today, and I dont think I did it right,

I located the low pressure port,
    Attached the hose to the port,
    Screwed in the can of coolant
    Let it drain, didnt seem to do anything, the presure gauge indicating how full it was looked like it went down. not up.
    Jeremiah
  • ferioferio Member Posts: 2
    Hi, we have a 2003 V6 sr5 4runner, sometimes the blower motor does'nt turn on any ideas? I tried turning the ignition on/off, fan on off, a/c on/off, nothing works. I've left the fan on hi for awhile and it turned back on it's own. The a/c compressor turns on/off fine but the fan is driving me crazy.??????
  • davenemodavenemo Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem on a '91 sr5 4runner. Much older of course, but same symptom. I replaced (no, actually all I did was just reset) the fan blower motor circuit breaker, a little shiny box about the size of your thumb (mine was behind the glove compartment, the circuit breaker that is, not my thumb..., had to remove the glove compartment to find it, go figure) and I was going to replace it (the circuit breaker that is, couldn't find one, and then realized all I had to do was use a paperclip and insert it into the little hole of the circuit breaker and heard a little clinking sound and then presto, the fan has worked ever since, and boy is this a run on sentence, sorry to my Freshman comp teacher...
    My '91 4Runner ran great till one morning, no spark, period. Tested the coil and distributor pickup coils and the resistance was according to specs. Was told it could be the igniter so bought one used on ebay. Started right up. Then ran it 20 minutes, was stopping at the bottom of a hill and I felt very little braking power for some reason as I was stopping and whammo, the engine just stopped. Thought it was the igniter again. Fiddled under the hood, saw that at first there was no spark again, just fiddled some more (checking wires) and then it started. Engine ran and brakes seemed fine. Same problem 30 minutes later and then again 5 minutes later. Any ideas??? Each time the ignition failed it was when (or just after) I was applying the brakes. (although I don't think the brakes seemed bad except that first time). No warning lights glowing on the dash. Does the brake sytem stop the ignition if there's abnormal brake pressure or something?
    Dave
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    question: did you have the ac compressor ON when you did this?
    I figgured it out on my own. Loose connection. The 2-wire connection to the coil was loose, haven't been able to crimp it any tighter so I just used a couple of little pieces of aluminum foil and stuck it in the holes. Works great so far. No stalling. Now I got an extra igniter so I'm ready for that to go.
    Dave
  • ferioferio Member Posts: 2
    I'll have to look into that. Anyone else have a 2003 4runner having this problem? I wonder if this'll be covered under warranty if the dealership tries to fix it.
  • chogullchogull Member Posts: 2
    Yes I did
  • blaskyblasky Member Posts: 15
    I had the same problem on my 1993 4Runner. Dealer would just grease up the ball joints when i would bring it in, and it worked great. I usually heard the noise while making a hard turn into a driveway and the shocks would engage. Id try this first - simple fix if it works.
  • blaskyblasky Member Posts: 15
    Hi Everyone -
    I just hit the 5000 mile mark on my new 4Runner purchased 7/05. In the past month or so, I noticed my sunroof would "chatter" a bit when it was closed. Its not a loud noise, but this was the first I ever noticed it. At first I thought it was the sun shade, but when i put my hand on the glass, the chatter would stop.

Anyone else experience the same problem? I had my last 4Runner for 12 years and never had this problem with the sunroof, so it seems a bit premature to be happening at 5000 miles.

Thanks
    Brian
  • kupkup Member Posts: 1
    I am also new to this forum and have a 2005 4Runner Sport
    V-6 and would like to have the same info about Lubricate the propeller shaft and re-troque propeller shaft bolts.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    Brian:

This is a very common issue with the sunroof in current generation 4Runners. Mine does the exact same thing, and it has since it was new. No mechanical issue, meaning, the sunroof has and continues to work just fine. If it bothers you, bring it in for service. It really does not bother me at all, so I've left well enough alone. Good luck!

Ryan
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    My '05 SR5 4x4 V6, if left outside overnight when the temperature is in the 30s/40s, will light up the "low tire pressure warning" light in the morning. The light generally disappears around noon. I talked to the dealer but he wants my car overnight to diagnose the problem. Anyone have any ideas?
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    Pressure is proportional to temperature (PV = nRT). Put 35psi in all tires when they're cold, including the spare. Your problem should go away.
  • ineednotineednot Member Posts: 3
    replacing brake lines, i have a 91 4Runner that I just had the passenger side rear line rust out just back behind the cross beam. I have filed a design flaw with Toyota. I also have found out that in Canada they have recalled the 4Runner for this problem. I was lucky when my breakline gave out I was coming up my street so the incline helped me stop with out killing anyone.
  • ineednotineednot Member Posts: 3
    i have a 91 4Runner that I just had the passenger side rear brake line rust out just back behind the rear cross beam. I have filed a design flaw with Toyota. I also have found out that in Canada they have recalled the 4Runner for this problem. I was lucky when my brake line gave out I was coming up my street so the incline helped me stop with out killing anyone.
  • robsterrobster Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2004 4Runner with V8 Engine. I'm planning to change the coolant. I've always used Prestone in all of my past vehicles. But I've noticed that the coolant in this vehicle is pink. Should I be concerned with using Prestone (green) or any other coolant for that matter in this vehicle?
  • tribstertribster Member Posts: 20
    Hello everyone, I have a 2005 4Runner with just over 550 miles. Bought it about three weeks ago. Last few days I have noticed that when I start from a stop light under normal driving conditions etc... the truck wants to go the left and I have to correct it by turning the wheel to the right. Once it gets going, it's not to bad but still have to keep the wheel pointed slightly to the right to make it go straight. I have been very easy on the truck, no offroading or harsh bumps to my knowledge. Also, I have checked the tire pressure and all are set to factory specs. Is this a common issue/problem with the 05's or am I just one of those lucky ones. Has anyone else had a similar issue with the 03-05 models? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    I had an alignment issue with the one I bought (2005 V8 4WD). I had it resolved before I took the car off the lot. At 20,000 miles of mainly freeway driving it is still tracking straight with about 60% tire tread left and even wear. Rotated once at 15k. I run 36psi all round.
    Thanks for the quick response. Was the alignment off? or was it something else. thx.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    The alignment was off.
  • polartoypolartoy Member Posts: 18
    On my 2003 4 runner, went through many windshields. Now on my 2005, with 20,000 km, just lost the third windshield. First rock that hit it, cracked it. These things are fragile. Anyone try an aftermarket windshield to see if they last better than toyota's? I hear toyota is thickening the glass for 06? Could it be because of the poor quality of these things,and not noise, like they suggest? Anyone else experience this problem?
    Polartoy
  • trantitranti Member Posts: 51
    H1! When I start my 2001 4runner(55,000 miles), I smell unburnt gas. Not much , but it makes me think that something is wrong with my 4 runner. Is oxygen sensor bad? It is the same with my 2002 Honda Accord (40,000 miles).
    Thanks.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    to run rich when it is stone cold, is that what you mean? When it runs rich, you may smell a gassy smell if you walk past the exhaust pipe. You shouldn't be smelling it in the car - that would be a problem. If you drive with your rear window down, you should be aware that is slightly dangerous unless you have other windows open, as it will suck exhaust gas into the truck.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    On my 2005 4-Runner, I have one bad crack about 2 feet long, (and growing), and 3 smaller cracks that I was able to get spot filled before they started running. I've also had 3 chips that I had surface filled.

I've never had a windshield as crappy and fragile as this one. In the past 20 years, on a half-dozen other vehicles, I've had two cracks total.

I have no idea why the glass in this 4-Runner is so crappy. I figured I'd wait a couple years until the price of replacement glass is cheaper, then get it replaced, but I have so many cracks I don't think I can wait that long.
    I have a 2005 4Runner. Does anyone know how to turn the lock/unlock beep ON and OFF. Is this an easy procedure where I can do it myself or do I have to take it to the dealer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • burner7burner7 Member Posts: 17
    Hi all.

3,000 miles into my 2006 4Runner Sport Edition, and it sounds like there's at least 30,000.

The overhead compartment with the lights chimes in with incessant buzzing at any speed, but it gets especially frisky around 70 mph.

All right-hand turns come with a creaking sound effect from somewhere in the back. I've narrowed it down to the right-rear seat, because when I fold it flat, the creaking disappears.

I suppose every car has a few issues, just didn't know I'd find mine so soon. And thankfully they aren't major ones, but they are beyond annoying.

I'm debating punching a hole the next time the light fixture rattles and creating my own sunroof.

This sucks.
  • neceboopieneceboopie Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 Toyota 4 runner with an awful smell.Almost every time I start the vehicle, a mold and vinegar smell blows in your face. I took it to the dealership and they said they didn't smell anything. Of course it didn't happen while the car was there. Any suggestions?
  • mirandahamakermirandahamaker Member Posts: 1
    hello, i drive a 1997 toyota 4-runner and it has been recently "disable" to where it wont turn on. i was wondering how do i "reable" it.
    thanks so much!
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Have them replace the HVAC air filter. It's small bucks.
  • mjuenemmjuenem Member Posts: 8
    I have had my new 2005 4x4 SR5 V6 for only about 2000 miles and have just noticed the last couple days that the trany is sometimes shifting down (presumably to 4th) when I let off the gas. This happens when I crest a hill and let off so I don't speed down the other side. Just when it feels as if it should be coasting, I hear the engine racing and when I push on the gas slowly, it races for quite some time before it up-shifts to OD. Is this normal? It sure doesn't feel normal. By the way, where the heck is the auto trany dip stick?

Thanks

Mark
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "and have just noticed the last couple days that the tranny is sometimes shifting down (presumably to 4th) when I let off the gas. This happens when I crest a hill and let off so I don't speed down the other side."

You know, something alot of people forget is that the 4Runner is a "drive by wire" system. The gas pedal is NOT HOOKED UP TO THE Engine. Instead, it is hooked up to the electronics (i.e. read computer") and therefore does not act like your previous vehicle that was hooked (gas pedal) up to the motor via linkage. I noticed this immediately. The computer will do what it thinks it should, regardless if you take your foot off the gas. I know what you are talking about, it happens to me. Your 4Runner is fine, don't worry about it!
  • feelingpissedfeelingpissed Member Posts: 2
    ATTENTION ALL 2005 TOYOTA 4RUNNER OWNERS...iF YOU HAVE A SHIMMY/VIBRATION FELT IN YOUR STEERING WHEEL AT HIGHWAY SPEED THAT IS ESPECIALLY MORE PRONOUNCED DURING LANE CHANGES OR WHEN NEGOTIATING A BEND/CURVE YOU HAVE A DEFECTIVE "HYDRAULIC CONTROL VALVE" IN THE STEERING SYSTEM. THIS IS WHAT TOYOTA HAS INDICATED TO ME. THE BASTARDS AT TOYOTA HAVE FINNALY ATTMITTED TO ME THAT THIS IS THE CAUSE OF THE SYMPTOMS THAT A LOT OF OWNERS HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING ABOUT.I AM CURRENTLY TAKING TOYOTA TO COURT OVER IT AND I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM OTHERS. THEY NEED TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE.I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A HYUNDAI FOR ALMOST HALF THE COST. SO OFF TO CAMVAP I GO (CANADIAN MOTOR VEHICLE ARBITRATION PLAN). NO LAWYER COST HERE. JUST MY TIME AND THEIRS.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "Toyota has acknowledged to me that they have found a "defective hydraulic control valve" causing a shimmy/vibration in the steering.I'm currently taking the bastards to court over it."

So Toyota will not fix it? It's my experience that once you need a Lawyer and go to court...based on the time and money involved-even if you win.....you lose!!
  • neceboopieneceboopie Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, the receipt shows they checked the air filter and pipes and all was well. Should I just request the filter to be changed?
  • feelingpissedfeelingpissed Member Posts: 2
    It's your rear passenger seat all right. All of them have it and until you get them to make the adjustment it will drive you nuts.
  • burner7burner7 Member Posts: 17
    "It's your rear passenger seat all right. All of them have it and until you get them to make the adjustment it will drive you nuts."

Thanks for the response. Do you know exactly what the adjustment is? I took it in once and they acted like they had no idea. I figure if I make it clear that I know what the issue is, they'll stop giving me the run around.
    Thanks again.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Downshifting of the transmission is normal. You'll typically notice this when going downhill and braking. That's called "grade-logic." It's a feature in many transmissions these days.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    Hello all. There have been a significant number of posts in here regarding a driveline thump (ie. a feeling like you have been rear ended when coming to a stop or when just starting out). I, too, had this issue. Based on advice in this forum, I asked the service dept. to lube the slip yoke while I had the 4Runner in for an oil change. The lube completely took care of the problem. For others who have, or are, experiencing this issue, I suggest you do the same!
  • mjuenemmjuenem Member Posts: 8
    So where did the dipstick go (and don't say look behind the steering wheel...).

How do I keep an eye on my auto trany?

Mark
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    What I have noticed on my 2004 Limited is that whenever I am going downhill, and barely press the brake to slow down, that the engine will brake (or tranny will downshift, whatever) so that I won't increase my speed going downhill. This isn't something that is discussed in the owners manual because I looked. It is just a nifty thing I noticed. Since the vehicle has downhill assist, I wonder if there is a connection to that, even tho I haven't pressed the downhill assist button to turn it on. Anyhow, Just think it is interesting how that works. It is like the vehicle is thinking and responding to the input from me that braking, of some sort, is desired. Whether it be by braking, engine braking, or tranny downshift. Also, once this downhill braking kicks in, if I slightly depress the gas pedal, it loosens up again and I continue downhill at full speed, increasing speed like normal on a hill. Cool stuff. I wonder why it isn't mentioned in the owners manual. Anyone else notice this on their vehicle? Is it only on the limited?