Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• klaudnycklaudnyc Member Posts: 36
    My 2003 4Runner also makes a "clunking" noise over mild bumps (this is on top of the sunrooof rattle by the way). The suspension also seems to be stiffer and not absorbing the bumps like it used to. Will bring it in for service next week and keep you posted.
  • mjuenemmjuenem Member Posts: 8
    Mine is doing that and it's just a standard ole SR5.

Mark
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    grade logic is not exactly new on auto transmissions.
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    exactly how old is it? I never had anything like that on my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Doing a google search, I found references back to 1995 model year cars with grade logic transmissions. Note that not all transmissions have it -- I'm not trying to imply that all 1995 model cars have it, but rather that at least 1 did.
  • tadp01etadp01e Member Posts: 1
    Now that it is getting quite cold out, I have been using the heated seats in my new 4 runner and noticed they don't get very warm. Other cars with heated seats that I have been in get so hot, I have to turn the seat heater down after 10 minutes. In my 2005 4 runner, I barely feel the heat, even after 1 hour. Does anyone else have this problem??
    I have heated seats in my Limited 2004 V8. When I have them turned to the highest setting, they get very warm within a couple minutes, so much so that I have to set them back a couple of settings, then set them back again a couple of setting until I turn them off altogether. Your experience sounds like a possible problem that should be looked into. Hopefully under warranty for you.
  • wulffman1wulffman1 Member Posts: 16
    I too have a 2005 4Runner, with 12000miles on it, and run 70-100miles per day on freeway. The windshield is covered in pit marks and the glass has that aged/warped look when viewed from an angle or moving your vision up and down while focused on an object.
    It is in the shop again today for lock up slipping on overdrive, they too have replaced front tires at 2500 miles but shuddering persists until the tires warm up. I have the sulphur smell issue, steering shake, twitchy breaks and an engine vibration at low temps.
    I dont think its unreasonable at all to expect compensation but fighting would ultimately leave me out of pocket so we sit back and be complacent hoping that nothing 'serious' goes wrong after the warranty runs out!
    On my 2003 Limited, I start out with them at their highest setting, but then turn it down after 10 min. or so.

Perhaps there's a problem with your seat heater.
  • jhlcompjhlcomp Member Posts: 2
    1998 4Runner 103,000 miles - recently developed brake problems. Had everything changed out front / rear plus master cylinder and I am still left with spongy brakes with little room when braking. I took it back to the repair shop and they bled the brakes but without improvement. The brake pedal has been adjusted as well. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "complacent hoping that nothing 'serious' goes wrong after the warranty runs out!"

Perhaps you should consider a Toyota extended warranty. don't sit back and hope, be proactive and cover yourself! If you want the info, I have picked up several dealer's names from this board and elsewhere who you could contact.
  • grahmmgrahmm Member Posts: 28
    I recently bought a 2005 SR5 with seating for 7. I have removed the rear seats & would like to install a retractable cargo cover (as available in other models without the seats) Has anyone had any success with this? I went to local dealer but the price for the cover alone is $600+ I use the cargo area to carry items that if seen might make someone want to grab (guitars/etc) so would like to protect from view from outside.
    You can go directly to Toyota Financial website for info and pricing on extended warranties, however, they usually do NOT cover body concerns. Toyota is usually very good about factory involvement to remedy a concern that occurs during the warranty period. If you do nt receive an answer from the dealer contact Toyota directly.
    Stick with the Toyota red coolant it is a non-silicate coolant (sand & acidics present in most other coolants). I have spent many years working in the dealership environment with Toyota & have seen the damage caused by other coolants in Toyota vehicles. Toyota is very specific about what they have engineered in and for their vehicles.
    Silicates work like sandpaper flowing through the system. That coolant is designed to go 100,000 miles though changing earlier should be ok as long as correct coolant is used.
    What you are feeling is a combination of many sensors working together to maximize performance & a lock up torque convertor that acts/feels like a clutch engagement during different functions of the transmission. It is a normal function and is constantly measured by your computer based on vehicle speed, brake & accel pedal postion, outside temperature, altitude, etc. It's amazing that it all works so well.
    Thanks for that info., grahmm. It is a pretty cool feature, one that isn't even discussed in the owners manual. It does work well, I have no complaints with it. I just thought it was odd that the owners manual doesn't cover it.
  • wulffman1wulffman1 Member Posts: 16
    "It's amazing that it all works so well" #1406.

Unless you're driving my car that is.
    A follow up to my post #1398, my 2005 V6's (5speed) transmission slips/shakes once in overdrive at low speeds (40-50mph to be exact) at gentle throttle.
    I certain this is in fact the problem since coming of the gas, shifting into neutral or stepping on the gas to downshift immediately eliminates the shaking.
    Its infuriating and has done it since new but is getting worse.
    It spent the day at the dealer on friday (3rd visit for this issue, 6th visit none routine in 5months) and despite 3 technicians driving it, it apparently is an intermittent problem since they reported nothing amiss.
    I know I am not hallucinating and the shaking is often so pronounced passengers will question wether I have a flat.
    The service manager sympathizes, but says until it does it all the time he cannot diagnose it and even then cannot fix it until Toyota issues a re calibration since it is probably not mechanical, but in the management system.

I cannot be the only person out there to have this issue and I hope that a number more folk identify it and take it up with Toyota so that they will acknowledge it and fix it.
  • regan1regan1 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2005 4Runner Limited. I have 17,000 miles on it. Recently I noticed the tire pressure monitor light came on. Could this be caused by the recent cold weather? Tires seen to be fine. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    There have been cases of it coming on in cold weather. However, have you checked the pressure in your spare?
    No have not yet checked spare, thanks
    It is true that the onset of cold weather causes the presssure in the tires to go down. So fill them up to the recommended level and the light should go off. Don't forget the spare, the monitoring system is checking that one too.
    The Service Manager is probably right. Until a re calibration is out there they might not be able to do much. Some manufacturers have a "flight recorder" that they can install while you drive & once the concern happens you press a button to take a snapshot of all the readings and you might want to ask. Most Service Managers or Shop Foreman keep a file of the unsolved problems so they can contact the owner once a fix is announced by the manufacturer, you might make sure that they've done this for you. Keep a log of when it occurs - mileage, mph, incline?, date,whether completly warmed up, weight in car might be part of it, engine rpm for your records to show them. If factory contact is made it is better initiated by you and the more documentation you have thye more help it is to you. Don't overlook another dealer ro leaving the vehicle for a week or a few days for the Shop Foreman to test drive. If the Shop Foreman/Team Leader is personable (some aren't close) talk to him directly and build a rapore, they are the ones more concerned with the fix; it just becomes a matter of paperwork for the Service Manager after a while. Again, if all else fails contact Toyota directly. Some of the op codes they use to claim their payment just show test drive and they might not even be allowed to claim for it as there is no valid repair thus Toyota might not be aware of what is going on with your vehicle which makes it hard on the dealer because there expending time and not getting paid + the manufacturer is never made aware. In my state the lemon law is not considered unless there is an actual attempt of repair made. Problem not found or could not duplicate does not constitute a repair visit. Work as hard as you can on being able to duplicate the condition any way you can so you can test drive and show them. Everyone drives differently and light throttle to you is different to them. Well - enough of Service management 101 for you. Good luck
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    However, have you checked the pressure in your spare?

That is the key. I had this problem and I kept checking all four tires without ever finding a problem. Finally I took it to the dealership, where they fixed it in 5 mins by adding some air to the spare!
    No others have told me the same, thanks for the feedback
  • 65stang65stang Member Posts: 7
    I've got a 2003 4-Runner with the V-8 engine. On a recent trip from Denver, CO to Huntsville, Alabama I only got 15 mpg on the highway using premium gas and climate control off.

When I first got the vehicle the trip computer indicated I could go 440 miles on a tankfull, now its telling me I can go 380. The vehicle just turned 40,000 miles, I replaced the air filter and use Mobil 1 oil. Anyone have any ideas...should I have the iridium plugs checked / replaced, any TSB's from Toyota?
    e "got a 2003 4-Runner with the V-8 engine. On a recent trip from Denver, CO to Huntsville, Alabama I only got 15 mpg on the highway using premium gas and climate control off."

First things first-HOW FAST WERE YOU DRIVING?

Then we can have an intelligent discussion.
    Agreed, how fast were you driving? You'll find a big difference between 65 with the cruise control on versus 75-80 without the cruise control.

In addition, ignore the computer. Calculate mileage the old fashioned way -- fill up the tank, reset the trip odo, then at the next fillup, divide mileage by gallons used. I've found the computer to not be very accurate.
    "Agreed, how fast were you driving? You'll find a big difference between 65 with the cruise control on versus 75-80 without the cruise control."

Yep, on most cars/truck miles-per-gallon takes a big dive after 65mph. Also, unless your owner's manual calls for premium gas, your throwing your money away, especially on the highway. At 65 mph, your transmission is in overdrive and your engine is at low rpms.....
  • dealkillerdealkiller Member Posts: 17
    tribster,

My 2005 SR5 4x4 4Runner has a issue with alignment too. When I got the car, it already had 540 miles on it. The car pulled left on the express way under 55 mile/hour when I test drive it. I complained this to the salesman, and they did the alignment before I took delivery (They even gave me the reading of the corrected alignment). After I got the car, I found it still pulling left and the steering wheel is off center a little bit (to the right). I have to hold the steering wheel slightly to the right just like yours to keep it straight. I test drive the car with the dealer service dept. manager. She thought it just off the center, and it will be a simple adjustment to the steering wheel. Well, after I got the car back from the dealer, the steering wheel is pointing to the center but I have new problem. I can turn the steering wheel a little bit both direction (left or right) without making any effect to the wheels. This caused a very vague feeling about the road feedback from the wheels. Put it in another word, you have to constantly make minor adjustment on steering wheel to keep car straight (or say to feel your wheels). I will call the service dept. again, see what they can do about it. How's your solution? I hope you are still in this forum.

Any idea or suggestion about my problem will be appreciated.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    I replied to the previous message. My 4Runner is now still aligned at well over 20,000 miles.

Regarding the lack of immediate steering response and constant correction, I have had that problem in previous vehicles - notably an Isuzu Rodeo and a BMW 535. On both these vehicles there is an adjustment to tighten this up which eventually I did myself as it required tweaking to make sure that it felt right and not too tight. I am sure there is someone technical on this forum who knows exactly what to do with this problem.

As regards the alignment, you really need to find the right technician to do the work. They need to test for tire pulls, bent parts (manufactured incorrectly)which my 2004 Sienna supposedly had. You also need to be persistent and stay there and test it after each change. There is probably a series of settings that will work, but Toyota dealers are going to stay within the manufactures specs for Camber, Caster and Toe. Sometimes new tires are the answer which was the case for my current BMW 540. No one could get the alignment right. Eventually after 20,000 miles I needed new tires and "Voila" now it tracks dead straight.

Also remember some of us (me included) are more picky than the average motorist about these things. Many people don't mind providing the necessary resistance to keep a car tracking straight and only get concerned about uneven tire wear, if that!
  • beachbuggybeachbuggy Member Posts: 1
    Do the older 4Runners (1998-2001) have three shoulder harnesses in the back seat? I know they are listed to seat 5 but if they are like our Jeep it is two shoulder harnesses and a belt that goes around the waist of the middle kid. We are looking to buy a used car and want to make sure we can safely transport three kids in the back seat.
    lazzarich,

Thank you for your quick response. I talked to the assistant manager of dealer service department. He said he probably can not do any adjustment about the "over sensitive" steering wheel. I will tell them your idea about how to make it tight. Let you how it goes later.
  • tribstertribster Member Posts: 20
    Yes. I took it in for an alignment check. Of course the dealer blamed it on tire pressure, the angle of the curb to my house etc. What a bunch of .... Do all of these guys go to the same school of laziness and denial. He did an alignment check and wouldn't you know it... it was off. So instead of doing the alignment check first he started with blaming it on the tire pressure. Anyway, it tracks straighter but I do have a problem when starting from a stop light. Starting from a stop light in the first gear or so it pulls to the left and I have to straighten it out by turning to the right. After it gets up to 20MPH or so it gets better but I am feeling the same thing as you mentioned i.e., the steering wheel feels numb when pointed straight ahead. I am wondering if there is a problem in the rear wheels thrust angle or something. I don't even know if there is any adjustment possible for the rear wheels. I think I am going to go back to see if they can fix the pull at startup.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    Pull from Start: This typically happens to FWD cars and is termed torque pull. Not sure if it applies here. At some point a technical guy on the forum will let you know.

As regards the ongoing problem - not sure if it is related to thrust angle. There are many adjustments to be made that could probably get the vehicle to track straight. They may however take it out of factory spec and cause tire wear. Dealer won't do that. There is a website that gives "a short course in wheel alignment" that you may find informative.

You did not mention whether they investigated tire pull - I would check that too.

Numb Feel: One of your posts referenced that this started after the dealer tried to solve your alignment issue. They clearly did something. Sounds like laziness not to investigate that further. A tech guy on this forum will be able to let you know if there is an easy adjustment.

As you can tell I have been through this a lot - not sure how we could contact each other but I would be willing to share how I have resolved all my alignment woes.
    Thanks for your response. I have about 1050 total miles on it now. The dealer told me to wait till I had over a thousand miles.

They had checked the tires and rotated both front ones. I think I am going to go in for another vist as soon as weather cooperates. Thanks again.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yeah, rear seat is just two shoulder harnesses and a center waist belt.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Took my car to the dealer yesterday. They replaced my driver side mirror because of image distortion. Talked to both the manager and mechanic. They didn't find anything wrong. The mechanic took a test drive, and double checked suspestion (ball joint, tie rod ...). At the time I got the car, it was fine. I can clearly feel my wheels, and it goes straight. I don't know what they did, sounds like they just tightened couple bolts.
    Dealer replaced my left mirror. But I still think the image reflected on the upper part of the driver mirror (they ordered new) distorted (compared with passenger's side). Does anyone's mirror has the same problem? My luck can't be that bad to have 2 defect mirrors in a row.
    I see the same distortion in the driver side rearview mirror. I think it is by design. It seems like the objects in the mirror look "squished" or not as tall as if you were looking at it directly. I am not sure why they did this.

On the alignment issues, it pulls to left at startup but then it gets better. I I have around 1100 miles.
  • utahsnowmonkeyutahsnowmonkey Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1992 SR5 V6 4Runner w/118,000 miles. I was driving and my engine suddenly stopped, then would not restart. I checked the engine compartment fuse box and the fuse for the electronic fuel injector system was blown. I replaced it with the appropriate fuse and the next day I ran several short errands, then made a longer trip to my local ski resort. The fuse blew gain. I replaced it again and made it back to my driveway. I think I obviously have a short somewhere- has anyone had this problem- and if so, where should I start looking for the short?
  • utahsnowmonkeyutahsnowmonkey Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1992 4Runner that had the same problem. Mine developed a tiny slow leak and thanks to a brand new driveway I noticed small drips before it completely rusted out.
  • gman16gman16 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 4runner with the in dash changer, are there aux inputs in this stereo? I want to attach my ipod and am wondering if I can install an RCA cable?
  • justtroublejusttrouble Member Posts: 3
    Yup, only two, but if you're putting in a car seat there are many available with extra tie-downs to help compensate...
    I bought a 94 4runner 4x4 this last summer at a pretty fair price - super clean - but its rides so rough. I've owned a 90 in the past so I figure no big, just new shocks. Put O'reileys answer on the front, but the rear shocks were rather new (it still has the classic butt-drag). No change. The ride is almost as bad as our straight 95 Wrangler - sometimes worse. After digging around, the only thing we can guess is a side collision in the passenger wheel. We changed the tie-rod - which was bent - the idler-arm, the axel assembly, & rotor. I'm running out of money and there's still no change. We can't find any other obvious damage. Do torsion bars go bad? It feels like there's no shock - just constant road vibration and whammy pot-holes. I have to break out the ropes and stirrups to ride the tar strips on the highway. Is this just a case of running in the wrong direction and O'reileys gave me the wrong part again? Please help. Wanna spend as little as possible for the time and see positive results. (saving up for the butt-drag problem...)
  • jmorabito25jmorabito25 Member Posts: 4
    I have the 2005 Toyota 4runner Sport Edition and I witnessed the awful sulfur smell. It only occurs when the A/C is NOT on and I get the engine to up at least 2000 RPMs. Toyota recently (~8/2005) a technical service bulletin to correct the issue. I had the issue fixed (catalytic converter) and it correctly the issued slightly. Now instead of smelling the sulfur everytime I hit 2000 RPMs, I smell it about every other time I hit the 2000 RPMs.

I love the car, but this sucks!
    Ironically, yes I have, but not with the 4runner. I had a 02 Trooper that had a pinched wire in the dash and stranded me a couple times b4 my mechs found it. Not sure where the line runs on the toys, but I hope that gives you a good place to start...
  • kryan1kryan1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi: Have a 99 4Runner LTD. 1st time this season, in cold weather, I tried to shift into 4WD and now the 4WD indicator is stuck flashing. Feels like the car is in 4WD, but it won't stop flashing or shift to 2WD. Happened once before 2 years ago and dealer said it was a sensor and it was expensive to fix. They said it's not under warranty now. Could the cold weather make it do this? In Denver and it's 0 degrees. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • hershel99hershel99 Member Posts: 1
    I have very strange/annoying noise coming from under my front passenger side seat. It sounds like a skipping CD or a baseball card stuck in bicycle tires (but very high pitched) I believe it is eletrical related, because as I adjust the wires (one wire in particular) connecting the component where the sound is originating (some sort of fan but I am uncertain exactly what it is) the sound stops and starts.
    This is the first place I have looked for answers b/f looking in a manual or going to have it looked at. It seems to be unrelated to anything except the car being on.. i.e. a/c, heat, lights, windows, radio, driving does not affect it at all. Any idea what it could be?

Thanks tremendously for any help!
  • simplemindsimplemind Member Posts: 8
    Or how would I find out?
    Thanks!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I have heard that in areas with snow, you can get an accumulation where the automatic engaging hub is, which will prevent it from properly engaging, or properly releasing once there gets to be enough junk in there. Beyond that, you have the push-button 4WD in the LTD, right? My current and old 4Runners both have/had the lever-style, so I can't be of much help beyond that. Certainly, as long as the 4WD light is flashing, there is a problem with the system. Good luck!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)