Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "I personally have not had a problem with the Dunlop's and will probably get 50k from them."

Not gonna happen!
    Not unless your driving on sponge cake..... ;)
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    Got 31k already with at least 7 mm left on all four tires on my Dunlops.
  • duke15duke15 Member Posts: 161
    I replaced the stock Bridgstones on my 2002 4Runner with the Michelin's. The Bridgestones that I had one there would slip in the rain from time to time - if I gave it too much gas going from a stop, and I needed to put the truck in 4 wheel drive if there was more than 2 inches of snow on the ground. The Michelin's don't slip for me, and I have driven in 8 inches of snow in 2 wheel drive with them. They are the best tires I have ever owned.
  • yujinyujin Member Posts: 6
    just got my new 4runner a week ago and enjoying the scent of a new car. i noticed the funny smell when i turn on the AC. this started yesterday. has anyone had this problem? any inputs why this happened? how can i fix this without using any car freshner?
  • maxlessmaxless Member Posts: 9
    2003 4x4 SR5 V8. 43,000 trouble-free miles. Tows my 17' boat with ease. 19 mpg on the highway if speed is 70 mph or less. Only issue is the soft material utilized on the dash, doors, etc. This material seems to scratch easily. Has anyone found a cleaner, polish, etc. that hides these marks? I don't want the bright, shining look that you get from Armor All. Something with much less sheen would be preferred. Recommendations?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Guess it depends on the smell. Since your car is new, all sorts of materials are outgassing. Plus there's often a protective coating sprayed underneath the car for transport and that stuff may be burning off the muffler and getting sucked into the A/C vents. It may go away by itself in two or three weeks.

For sulfur smells, see this recent post:

agnosto, "Sulfur from 2003 4Runner" #822, 10 Apr 2006 5:04 am

But since it's related to the A/C, check for mold, odor or dead critter posts in the Climate Control Problems (Air Conditioning, Heat) - All Cars discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    Ok, good news, there is no issue as the dealer told me it is speed sensitive and the sun roof wind deflector lowers when the vehicle reaches over 55mph and raises back up when speed of the vehicle drops down to 45mph.
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    I've seem the instructions for re-programing the remote to open "all" doors with just one push of the "unlock" button but I can't find them.

Anyone know how to do it for an '06 4Runner Sport?

Thanks!
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    Can anyone direct me to where I can find replacement interior moldings (besides the dealership) for my 4Runner?
    The part I'm looking for is one of the rear seat plastic coverings that cover the seat bolts on the floor. The dealership wants $24.00 + tax. Is there a reliable website or alternative store where I could find a replacement? Thanks all!
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    I have used partznet and have had good luck...

http://conicelliautoplex.com/partznet.aspx
    Thanks for your reply. I called the number from the email you sent and I would only save $4.00, but thanks for the email connection for future parts.
  • robg4robg4 Member Posts: 32
    I had a small scratch on my glove compartment. A guy that goes to different dealerships to fix things like that fixed mine. He said it was more difficult to fix a scratch than fix torn leather for example. He said getting the right color mix is what makes it hard.

Anyway, he fixed mine and said not to put anything on it for several months so it dries good. I couldn't tell anything was ever there as he did a perfect job. Apparantly there is nothing you can buy to 'fix' a scratch.
  • robg4robg4 Member Posts: 32
    If you bought a 2006 there is a bulletin out (at least that is what the dealership told me) that the exhaust system needs replacing. Ours had a bad odor every now and then. They put 2,000 of new parts on it for us that suppose to fix the problem.

Don't know if that is your problem but just letting you know about that.
    Thanks guys for responding. The funny smell comes out of the vents after I turn on the AC, this last for a few seconds and the funny smell goes away. I don't know if we have the same problem. I also don't know if it is related to the sulfur issue. Well to describe the funny smell, it smells like a sour odor or shirt soaked with sweat or something like that.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    This is due to water condensation that becomes moldy and starts to smell. I shut off my A/C several miles before my stop and let the fan run to dry it out. This will prevent the musty smell when you first turn on your A/C.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    I am about to replace my Dunlaps that have 47000 miles on them. Are there any other folks out there, that are using the REVOs. If their ride comfort is equal to the Dunlaps, I can live with it. A number of surveys rate REVOs higher than the cross terrains, including road noise (more quiet). On the boards, I have only seen one person post on the revos as relates to the 4-Runners. Others, I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences.
    I have no experience with REVOs but I can assure you the Michelin Cross Terrain tires are something else... very comfortable, great handling and quiet ride with my 2006 4Runner LTD V8 4WD...
  • tertletertle Member Posts: 1
    just brought a 2003 toyota 4 runner sr5 4wd and went ot smog it for california well there are four monitors test that are stated as not complete 1)catalyst 2)evaporative system 3) oxygen sensor 4)oxygen sensor heater. it has been driven over 200 miles and my local mechanic scanned it but can't tell how to fix so it will complete the test to pass smog The continuous monitor tests are complete and evrything is running good on the vehicle
  • otis0014otis0014 Member Posts: 2
    I got the Michelin X Terrain tires on my new 4 Runner. They are terrible. I have always loved Michelins - but these are wrong for this vehicle. They aer too large for the 4 Runner, and "push-back" through the steering wheel on bumps in the road when inflated to 35 PSI. I have to run these tires at 30 PSI to get a good ride. Otherwise they feel to me like monster truck tires bouncing like overinflated basketballs down the road. Of course at 30 PSI the tire inflation sensor is on all the time, but, I am convinced that Toyota and Michelin really missed the boat on designeing this ride combination for the 4 Runner. BEWARE. You may also have problems.
  • otis0014otis0014 Member Posts: 2
    My 4 Runner has had vibration at exactly 72 MPH since new about 8 months ago. Poor handling ALL the time. Anybody else out there with the same issues? I have 20K miles on it now. It has Michelin X Terrain tires. I have thought the tires to be the issue. Poor ride - like overinflated basketballs, or monster truck tires overinflated. I had thought a service mgr at the dealership understood my issue, but then he mysteriously quit working with me on it. I will take this information about the defective Hydraulic Control Valve to the dealer and try again. Thanks.
  • ggoinsggoins Member Posts: 57
    For those of you who like the Michies you might try the LTX M/S...powerful tire..big tough and smooth on the open road...about 550 from Americas Tire/Discount Tire.....no I don't work there...I like the tire.
    That's what I have, and it is a great tire on my 4Runner.
  • dedheddedhed Member Posts: 6
    I would love to know the answer to this question... :confuse:
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    hmmm, unless i'm mistaken, in my state, vehicles 2003 or older only need to have the OBD-II interface connected to their computers to see if the system is registering / storing any possible emissions related problems. they don't do a tail-pipe test on my '03.
    This is the first time I have ever seen a bad review on the Cross Terrain tires. I just purchased 4 from a forum BB that had only 500 miles on them. I had them on an '02 Explorer and though they were the quietest, most smooth riding tire ever! They are in my garage waiting to be put on!
  • calixascalixas Member Posts: 2
    My 05 V6 4Runner has had an ongoing problem with lose, creaking and popping driver and front passenger seats. I've been to the dealer more times than I care to admit. At first notice of the noise, I thought it was the console, but the technician at the dealership diagnosed a driver seat noise. They claim to have replaced the seat frame, but the noise continued. By now both seat frames have been replaced, and the center console has been insulated, but to no avail. The noise now seems louder and quite excessive. During my last visit (2 weeks ago), the service manager agreed there is a definite problem. He asked a technician to attempt to identify the noise by using a stethoscope.....apparently the noise was found to resonate from the drivers seat. They will be replacing the seat tracks mounted to the vehicle. I'm quickly loosing confidence in them finding a solution.
    Any news from your end?
  • ggoinsggoins Member Posts: 57
    when is the noise loudest....when is it less?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I thought I'd give an update in case you are still in the market for tires. After 1200 miles, my Revo's ride has dramatically improved. The bounciness is gone. In fact, at a particular intersection I roll through where I used to catch air with my Dunlop's, my Revo's never leave the ground. I don't know if I should attribute this to the tires breaking in or the 80 degree weather, but the ride is definitely better. The traction is impeccable.

On the flip side, I'd swear my MPG is taking a nosedive. I haven't checked MPG recently, but the gas gauge is moving from Full to Empty at a much faster clip. MPG has been a common complaint of Revo's.

Traction was my sole consideration for getting the Revo's, but I must admit I probably would have purchased Michelin LTX M/S if I could have got them in P265/65/17. I just don't like the highway tread of the X-Terrains.
    Bought the Cross Terrains shipped to my door for $125.00 a piece. I purchased off a guy on another forum who lived in Park City, UT that needed a true AT tire. He went with the BFG's. The Cross Terrains only had 500 miles on them!
  • rjordan392rjordan392 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Is it possible for an engine air filter to lose its efficiency even when it still appears clean? it did not look too dirty to me but I changed it anyway. My mileage was poor for a 2004 v6 4Runner at about 12 mpg. After the filter change, I am now getting 15 mpg for both highway and city. Could engine fumes or road film clog a filter without it looking dirty? I just reach the 10,000 mile reading on the odometer and this is when the maintenance schedule states that the air filter is to be inspected.
  • lasecloudslaseclouds Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 v6 4Runner leans to the left. Have taken it to the dealer way too many times for resolution, but no success. It leans all the time and even more depending on whether I have a full tank of gas or not. With a full tank, it leans to the front right. With 1/2 a tank or less, it leans severly to the left rear. It's noticable. I truly feel unsafe in my dream SUV. :(:cry: :lemon: I sometimes wonder if the dealer is waiting for my additional warranty to run out and repair it when they can actually charge me for fixing it. I feel cheated. A vehicle is not supposed to lean! I really need a solution! Are my children and I at risk?
    This is a problem with some of the 4Rummers, although none lean as to be unsafe. Toyota is aware of it. You purchased a great SUV, your children and you are perfectly safe.
  • normhnormh Member Posts: 30
    My Daughter's 4-Runner needs a new power antenna insert (the nylon push rod separated from the antenna tube)and I need to remove the right front fender flare to access the antenna case. Can anyone tell me how to get the fender flare off?
    Need help with my '99 SR5 4Runner. It's a V6/Auto. I'm trying to get my trailer lights to work and am not able to get the driver's side brake and/or turn single light to work on the trailer. Before I re-wired the trailer lights , I had the same problem with the trailer lights not working in the same way. All the lights/turn signals on my Runner work ok and when hooked up to my trailer both driver and passenger lights/turn signals work ok on the Runner. But, when I plug in the trailer, the driver's side part of the trailer doesn't work. The trailer package came with my Runner and I haven't used it until now - only owned my truck for about a year. Any suggestions on what to check and how to go about it? Thanks everyone. :)
    We ahd the same problem, but I had the dealer fix it. It cost me about $250 with parts and labor.
    I have about 64K miles on my 2002 4Runner 4X4. The last time it was in the shop (wife left the antenna up going through the car wash and broke the chord), they recommended the 60K mile service. At the time I elected not to get it as we were thinking about selling the truck to get my wife a new car. We have since decided to keep the truck as a 3rd vehicle, so I am wondering if I should do the 60K mile service. Does anyone know what it includes and/or how much it costs?
  • benzy1benzy1 Member Posts: 11
    The going rate is about $280-300 for Oil/filter change, air filter change, change transmission oil, coolant, spark plugs and lube and re-torque some undercarriage stuff. I dont remember if they changed or just inspected the differential and transfer case oil. Plus they do inspect this and that...

If it is a 6 cyl, then they may recommend replacing the timing belt for an additional $200-300.

The bottom line is to have them do only what is recommended in your service manual, and to not pay extra for what they consider "urgent services".
    Check out the Edmunds Maintenance Guide for what Edmunds says that 60k service should cost in your zip code.

Steve, Host
    Thanks Steve, that is a great feature! Do you happen to know if the TSB are items that are fixed for free, like recalls, or just notices to the dealer as to what to do in certain situations?
    Glad you like it (I wish I could take some credit for it). :shades:

TSBs are not recalls and a dealer won't ordinarily fix an item addressed by a TSB for you unless your car exhibits those symptoms. And if you are out of warranty, it most likely won't be a free fix.

See You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin for more.

Steve, Host
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    with Toyota has been that they will do the TSBs if they apply for your vehicle, regardless of whether or not the warranty is still in effect.

My dealer's price for the 60K is $400, and they WILL try to sell you the timing belt change, which you DON'T need at 60K - that is a 90K belt.

You should do all that stuff benzy mentioned if you plan on keeping it a while, and should also have diff oil and transfer case oils changed, which will boost the price beyond that $400 mark a bit. A good independent shop will save you 10-20% on this laundry list of stuff. All the usual inspections are due at this mileage if you are following the manual with fervor. My dealer includes lubing the silly power antenna in that price. Since they broke a lot on these 4Runners, I let them do it in the hopes it will help extend the aerial's life.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

THanks Steve and Nip. I'm going to get the service done soon in the hopes of beating the summer rush. My suggestion for extending the arial's life is to not let your wife take the truck to the car wash. We just replaced the nylon cord inside of ours for that reason. The service guy said they get a lot of them in there for that.
    Hi guys,

Has anybody here experience this?

I have a 2006 4Runner sport with 2000 miles on it. After stopping at my destination and going out of the truck I noticed that there's a burned rubber smell especially on the rear wheels. Does this have anything to do with the brake pads?

By the way, I don't do those kind of maneuvers where you burn your tires while driving.
    Your car has 2000 miles on it. I am sure there are all kinds of things "burning off" at this point. Hey - if it blows up it's under warranty! Life is too short - don't worry!
    Hi,
    I would say consider it normal and do not worry as I have a 2006 4Runner LTD V8 4WD with less than 1300 miles and I do observe the same smell once in a while... enjoy it now that the ppg is still less than $4.00 and later on who knows there might be another trade-in for the Camry Hybrid when price is over and beyond... :)
  • caderomcaderom Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I was just wondering if you ever found anything out about your starting problem? I am having the EXACT same issues with my 91 4runner. I would love to find out what the problem is! I have replaced the starter, battery and battery cables. My mechanic and the dealership can't seem to find the problem! It is so frustrating!
  • caderomcaderom Member Posts: 3
    I am having the hardest time finding out what is wrong with my truck! It is so frustrating. It will start just fine sometimes, even for days. Then one day I could have it not start 3 or 4 times. It seems that I can keep turning the key and get it to start most of the time with persistence Sometimes we just push it and pop the clutch. We have replaced the battery and the starter as well as put new cables on to the battery. I never know when it isn't going to start. If anyone has had a similar situation and could give me any advice I would appreciate it! Thanks!
  • tommy206tommy206 Member Posts: 1
    I used to have the same problem. My 2004 4Runner used to perform 16.5 mpg both city/highway last year so I cleaned the fuel injection service. It didn't change the problem. So, I started putting 93' Premium Gasoline from Costco along with Mobil 1 Fuel Injection Cleaning Liquid every time I pump. It all depends on the quality on the gasoline, but the gas mpg increased up to 21 to 22.6 mpg. It has gotten lot better than 16.5 and it stays around 21-22 as long as you put the liquid every time you pump. You can get these at Walmart at a fairly cheap price. I have seen 30.7 or 30.4 mpg twice this month. I also did some research today and found out that using a synthetic oil on your 4Runner would increase the gas mileage as well which I will try next time I need to go to dealer for an oil change. Good luck.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    Thanks for the response. As an update, my mileage did improve as the truck aged. I was up to 21+ mpg (highway) at about 5000 miles. I've since traded it in at 12K miles for a 2005 4WD V8 4Runner SE and I'm very happy with it. The V6 was great but the V8 is even better. As expected my mileage took a hit though. I was getting 16-22 mpg with the V6 (city - highway) at trade in time, and I'm now getting 15-20 mpg with the V8. These are hand calculated figures, not the computer readout which I found to be on average 7% optimistic. So that's a 1-2 mpg penalty for the V8 but I think it's worth it even at today's gas prices. I figure it's costing me $150 extra per year for gas (15k miles/yr - $3.00/gal), that's not too bad for having the power and smoothness of the V8.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    I have a 2005 V8 4WD and if I drive at 70MPH or less doing only freeway driving with minimal traffic (and I mean only freeway i.e. 400 miles out of 430 miles) I can get 19 - 20MPG. In town and climbing grades to 7,000 feet it drops to 15 or so. I agree on the computer readout being optimistic. I feel this is great mileage for this type of vehicle and the great ride it delivers.