Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• calvinycalviny Member Posts: 13
    hi.. thanks for your advise...

but, please kindly give me some more details how to disassemble the shift stick & those ring/washer underneath.
    I can only work inside the truck , not necessary to take off anything from underneath??
  • kcchef3579kcchef3579 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 4Runner and the clock stopped working. Is any one else having this problem, and is the fix worth a trip to the dealer?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the clock wasn't working. The dealer I bought it from fixed it for me before I took delivery, said they had to replace it. The part was like $100 from Toyota. Seems overpriced to me, but I wasn't paying the bill. Perhaps if that seems excessive to you too, you could check out auto recyclers or other avenues for used ones.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ggoinsggoins Member Posts: 57
    just a followup on my question about carrying gas on the outside of the vehicle. In California it is allowed when put in metal drums with locking tops 5 gallons max or so says the California Highway Patrol....will find out about AK when I get there.
  • yaroshyarosh Member Posts: 14
    does anybody know if using 87 instead of 93 harms the v-8 engine? i don't get any pinging but don't want to hurt the car. thanks
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    There are very few vehicles that require 93 octane.

If you (and your engine) are happy with 87 octane, by all means use that. It won't harm your engine and you'll save a boat load of money.

BTW, fuel requirements for your '05 are listed in your Owners Manual.

Hope this helped. :shades:
  • yaroshyarosh Member Posts: 14
    thanks, it did help.
  • ggoinsggoins Member Posts: 57
    Just a vote of confidence in my 97 trailer hitch. The car behind me was slammed by a drunk driver which sent the car into me...hard. their GTI hit the hitch and stopped. front and back of thier car total damage, Runner a scratch on the bumper..seeing was believin....oh, guy who hit their car at 50 MPH in the jail cell felony drunk driving...can you imagine his call to "honey"...LOL
  • grantschngrantschn Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever get satisfaction on the "thump"? I have '06 Sport with a V8 and it's really bad! Took it to dealer and got the same "it's normal". Sometimes it feels like a kick in the rear it's so bad! The lubed the yoke, not much help and short lived. Now have 16k miles on truck. Didn't notice it when new.
  • rcobrcob Member Posts: 4
    have a '01 4runner,won't start I'm pretty sure it is the pressure regulator, It's located behind and underneath the intake manifold. can anyone tell me if they have attemped this and how much of a !#$% this task will be?
    OK, It'll start to turn over when the key goes from "off" to "start" but from "on" to "start" I get nothing but the starter turning. I feel the initial turning of the key is pressurizing the line(via the "new fuel pump") and from the "on" to "start" manuver there's no pressure.

any ideas? anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :confuse:
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I've taken care of it myself actually...last time at the dealer, I asked them to put extra lube on the slip yoke....helped for a couple of weeks....then back to the thumping. I purchased a full synthetic chassis lube and greased it myself....3000 miles later and the thump has not returned. My experience is that the dealer just refuses to lube it with enough grease to last a while. The synthetic lube really seems to have done the trick, and does not break down (or burn up, or whatever grease does) as quickly as whatever the dealership uses. Try it yourself and see if it makes a difference. Good luck!
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    That begs the question: Which brand synthetic chassis lube did you get?
    Thanks,
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    sorry, I would have listed the brand name had I remembered. I can't unscrew the container from the grease gun without making one hell of a mess. I purchased it at Advanced Auto Parts, I believe there was only one (maybe two) brands of completely synthetic chassis lube....choose either, and I think you'll be completely happy.
  • slowjam4slowjam4 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had a wreck in my '03 4Runner Limited and both airbags had to be replaced. The entire dash had to be removed to replace the passenger airbag. Now, I have discovered that my automatic headlights do not work. If I turn the switch to the automatic setting at night, the headlights do not come on. I took it back to the repair shop and they replaced the light sensor and tried a few other things and could not get the automatic headlights to work. Does anyone have an idea about how to correct this problem?
  • grantschngrantschn Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! I'll push the dealer fisrt to try Synthetic lube and then do it myself if they won't! Appreciate the advise!
  • sr4runnersr4runner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 4runner that has the exhaust tip pointed to the side, and the fumes still come in the rear window. The only thing that seems to help is to let it get completely warmed up before rolling the window down. It doesnt run as rich and the fumes arent so bad
    If you drive with the back window down you're going to get the odor. It's just Physics, you're creating a vacuum at the back of your truck as you move forward. The air molecules (including exhaust) are rushing in to fill the space (from high pressure to lower pressure). Racecar drivers utilize this phenomenon when they "draft".

It does state in the owners manual not to drive with the rear window down. I think that is more about the carbon monoxide being drawn in rather than the sulfur and/or exhaust fumes.
  • aj4321aj4321 Member Posts: 37
    Very solid vehicle with 55,000 miles. Just had the sulfur issue that was fixed. However, the sunroof is not closing properly - leaving a slight gap. I have the extended full Toyota warranty to 100k but the dealer says the sunroof needs to be taken a part, cleaned and resealed for $300-$400 not covered under warranty. Just wondering if someone else has had the same experience or if there is a service bulletin for this issue.
  • herocouldsaveherocouldsave Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 4runner that has been working fine the last couple of weeks then i went out to start it one day and i put the key in and turned it on, the dash lights came on. then when i went to start it turn the key and everything went dead. there was no click no try nothing. it had sat for a couple of days during 100+ degree weather so i wonder if that has anything to do with it. the battery is good and i am going to check the alternator and starter this week. any other ideas??
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Just had the sulfur issue that was fixed.

What did they do to fix it?

tidester, host
    After two visits – I provided the dealer with the service bulletin for the sulfur issue and they replaced the catalytic converter under warranty. Fixed in early 2005.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Great! Now if they could find a cheap fix for the sunroof problem ...!

tidester, host
  • mebeamemebeame Member Posts: 1
    I recently went to put a bike rack on the tow hitch of my 03 4Runner and found that the spare tire interferes with every brand that I could find (I tried 4). I'm planning to tow a small trailer in late September and don't know if it will work because of the spare tire interference. Has anyone had this issue with their 03 4Runner? I've tried "re-seating" the spare tire, but that hasn't fixed the issue. Everything is factory stock on my truck, but the newer 4Runners seem to have a different tow hitch on them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    It is a problem that was corrected during the 2003 model year production. I have the same problem. Basically, other than the factory ball mount which came with your vehicle, everything else you insert into the receiver will need about a 1/2 inch cut off, OR, you can put your spare inside your 4Runner and use anything you like. The fix occured approximately 4-2003, but mine has a 4-1-2003 manufacturing date and the hitch issue. Searching the forum may provide more answers.
  • delealemkedelealemke Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever resolve the problem of why the windows and gauges do not work? I have a 1997 4Runner that has the windows, gauges, air/fan, sunroff, and alternator not working. I am living out of the country on an island and it is a little difficult to get it to a dealership. I have a friend who has tried many things, fuses, new/rebuilt alternator, and checked some ground wires. Please let me know what you have done so we can try.

Thank you,
  • wairunnerwairunner Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 4Runner LTD 4WD V6 with one of those stock wooden trim kits installed on the dashboard.

When I drive the vehicle with the music off, I notice that there's a creeking and ticking sound coming from the dashboard... the sound that occurs when you push two cheap plastic parts together.

At first, I thought it was the cigarette tray which I've never used, but realized it was the dashboard when I push my fingers against it.

Anyone ever experienced this or know of any remedy? The sound is really annoying. :mad:
  • c2computerc2computer Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I have a 2006 4runner and it squeaks like crazy, especially when driving over a bumpy road. I have to push the dash in and out to get it to stop. I do this daily and I hate it. In fact, my rear seat squeaked all the time and I had to cover the hinges in electrical tape since the dealer refused to acknoledge any noise. My driver seat also squeaks when I go around a corner. The fit and finish on this vehicle is pathetic and I can't wait till my lease is up so I can turn it in, makes me sick to write the lease payment every month. I have owned Toyota's before but the quality is no where what it used to be, they are taking shortcuts to get to #1 and they will regret it, just look at the over 1 million vehicles they have recalled in the last 2 years!
    Yeah, I wouldn't complain as much if the suspension wasn't crap... it jumps on the slightest thing (but I have to admit that I don't know what the suspension is like now for the newer 2003-200? models). I've driven a Navigator and a Grand Cherokee, and they don't seem to be driving on wheels that are connected to the frame!
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    I have a 2004 V8 Limited with XREAS suspension. The vehicle has a smooth ride. I guess it is the XREAS.
  • bshp71bshp71 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 4runner that will not go in reverse. It is a 5 speed, all other gears seem to be fine. Any idea what may cause this. Thanks
  • beachbum21beachbum21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '94 runner that had exact same problem. Replace the x-valve and both electrical controls just for insurance. Parts cost was slightly over $100. Your tech will have to evac the system and refill. The labor to perform this service will be a lot more than the parts, but this fix will solve your problem. Good luck!
  • marshall70marshall70 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I need some advice on this. I took my 2005 4 runner to the dealer Saturday to get oil changed. Long story short the dealer emptied my oil, replaced the filter, cap, oil plug, but forgot to put oil in the vehicle. they started the vehicle, brought it around for me and said it was ready to go. I got in, started it and drove about 1/4 mile before the oil light and engine light came on while the vehicle simultaneously shut down. Dealer has admitted fault, they say there is a VVTI sensor that shut the engine down before any damage was done. They say they know no damage was done because all of the diagnostics show the engine is fine, the master mechanic drove it 20 miles and they dropped the oil pan to be sure nothing was in there? I'm no mechanic so I don't know exactly what that means. Anyway, they are offering to extend my powertrain warranty to 100,000 miles. I need to know if this is acceptable and ideally I would like to hear from someone who had a similar thing happen and learn how the it was handled.

couple quick points: the vehicle had no oil in it. I bought it new at this dealership and have had my oil changed at this dealership 6 times in the 24k miles I have on it. I've been advised to contact toyota corporate and will do this in the morning. Is the dealers offer fair?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Reverse is always the "crunchiest" gear. Will it go in if you shift into a forward gear first and then go directly to reverse without allowing the truck to move? Or, when it won't go in, will it go in if you use a forward gear to move the truck slightly? If it will under those circumstances, that is probably just the normal "crunchiness" of reverse gear on an older truck.

If not, then will it go in with the engine off?

If it won't even then, you may have a broken or bent linkage between the gear shift and the transmission itself. That is not a very expensive repair.

OTOH, if it will only go into reverse when the engine is off, or will never go in and is hard to put in first as well, you have to ask yourself how many miles your clutch has on it - could it be time for replacement?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• andrew17andrew17 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for your advice. Since the mechanics at the dealership could not diagnose the problem with the 1995 4Runner SR5, we finally had given up on the issue and traded it in. I just found out that the expansion valve (or the orifice tube meter) was the culprit, that would shut off the regrigerant flow at 86 F and above. I suggest everybody who encounters this problem tell the A/C mechanic to check this aspect of the system; and Do NOT AGREE to have the whole A/C unit replaced!

I also assume, that in the southern states and in California, A/C mechanics in Toyota dealerships are more experienced then here in Virginia. By the way, it was a good SUV, it served us fine during the long years - it had never broken down. I will miss it...
    What are you gonna trade it in for? A newer 4Runner? That would be sweet. Haven't you ridden a newer 4Runner yet? I have - and it's much less crappy than my 2000 LTD 4WD (though some say they cut through corners and have an overall lower-quality part comprised vehicle).
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    To install a new rear side marker reflector (the one in the bumper), passenger side, is it installed from the bottom from under the bumper, or must the taillight assembly be removed and then install from the top?
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    I've been in the auto/truck industry for over 30 years.
    Yes, I'd say the dealers offer is acceptable.
    But...........
    Just by removing the oil pan, NO technician can visually tell if any bearings have been damaged due to the lack of oil. Bearing caps (crankshaft) would have to be removed and bearings would have to be measured, all of them. The camshaft would have to be inspected also. These are just a few internal engine parts that would need to be looked at.
    Make sure it's spelled out in a legal contract (extended warranty) that they (the dealer) neglected to fill to the proper level of engine oil. And that any and all internal parts of your engine are covered for the specified mileage.
    I'd definitely call Toyota Customer Service and Corporate and tell them of this issue and make sure to tell them the work order number on the service receipt.

Sorry to hear of your experience, hope it all works out.
  • andrew17andrew17 Member Posts: 26
    We traded it in for a 2006 RAV4 V6. I wanted one without sunroof, and without the fancy radio package. After getting the final price on paper at the previous Toyota dealership in Virginia, we took it to the Fitzgerald Automall (www.fitzmall.com) in Gathersburg, MD, where we negotiated a better price/color. (We live in Virginia).

By the way, you are right: the new 4Runner V-8 is great! (Excelent accelaration and curb stability.) Very good SUV - but it is pricey.
  • elguapo1775elguapo1775 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a '91 SR5 4X4, great truck, but it's becoming more difficult to shift gears - takes a firm push - and there is grinding and vibration shifting into reverse. It'll go into reverse, with or without the engine running, but requires a jamming it in, grinding and vibration with the engine running
  • drex1drex1 Member Posts: 41
    My 1999 4Runner fits my Yakima bike rack just fine, but is a bit short (hits the spare tire) on my 2003 4Runner. My '03 4Runner was also produced in April 2003 and still has the problem with the hitch. Does Toyota have a fix for this? Are there any companies that produce a bike rack which fixes this problem or do we just have to cut a 1/2 inch off the rack mount?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    In so many words or less, get it in writing what you are being offered.
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    There is a TSB out for the sunroof issue although I don't know what years it affects. I just had my sunroof replaced on an 05 4Runner for a similar problem. The sunroof would close but at the last second it would suddenly drop, creating a gap in the rear of the sunroof, as if it were too low. I could manually raise it to create the seal.
  • iwangs04iwangs04 Member Posts: 22
    Greetings,
    It's been a long time. I posted this over heating problem on my 95 4runner about this time last year and my problem had been going on for months without resolution. I finally got it fixed while ago but haven’t gotten back with what was the problem. So here it is…
    The problem turned out to be the radiator. It clogged and wasn’t enough room for water circulation. Few months ago I took the car to a small shop where my friend works. A technician looked at the car and his first impression was also thought the fan clutch issue. I told him that wasn't it. He then test drove the car until the temp started to increase over the normal level. He used a laser temperature detective gun or some sort of device and shot at the radiator. The device shows in different temperatures on the radiator, where the top area is extremely high tempurature and lower section is suprisingly low. That was how the problem uncovered. I replaced with a new aftermarket radiator, cost under $200, and it has been running great.
    BTW, if you have the radiator clogged problem, mind as well replace it w/ a new one. The flushing may not fix the problem and it is not cheap either.
    I almost felt for the dealer, that they thought it was the head gasket problem, to work on the wrong problem.
    I’ve learned a long the way on how the fan clutch works during this experience. When the car is over heating, the fan clutch is dead too. That means it is very weak, with no resistance but that doesn’t mean the fan clutch is bad/broken. When the car is running in the normal temperature, the fan clutch should turn strong and you could hear it with the humming sound when accelerate. Samething when you start the engine while it cold, the clutch should hum, running strong & fast. Otherwise, it is a truly bad clutch. That is my opinion.

Happy driving…
    Wangs04
    Hello Wangs04,

Glad you got back to us with the solution. As I remember I was guessing, based on what you reported, that it was something with the head and/or gasket and recommended a cylinder leak down test. It's good to hear that the fix was something as simple as the radiator, much easier to replace. I guess if one didn't have an infrared tester you could feel around the radiator for temperature differences, being ever so careful of the fan of course :).

Well, now after all you've been through with your overheating problem, you can be our resident expert in this area :D.
  • charlie4runnercharlie4runner Member Posts: 22
    I've had the same cluck for 6 months before I had it fixed. If it is same problem this is my fix. The problem first of all is an annoying clunk. No rhyme, no reason. But mainly when the stopping and starting. It litterally feels like you are pulling a utility trailer, or someone rear ends you slightly.

I've tried the Grease, and read everything on this site.

My dealer changed the driveshaft 3 times. No [non-permissible content removed]! Between the dealer, and the Toyota rep. they somehow managed to change the shaft 3 times. The second time was because I asked if they replaced the shaft with same part number. They coulding be sure, so the changed it. The rep then called back a month later and offer another shaft. Different number. It didn't work.

I eventually found something on the net that says Lexus has similar problem. I printed the info and gave it to my dealer. He was sceptical and still insisted they've tried everything.

2 weeks later, they offered to replace the shaft with a Lexus Part.

It now works perfectly. No [non-permissible content removed]! For the last 8 months, I hated the vehicle. Now I like it again. Do a search on any Lexus Forum. I believe Lexus actually has a TSb.

If you have the same problem as I describe, gor get the Grease! It didn't work.

Good luck
  • gdaykogdayko Member Posts: 1
    Recently, the driver door on my 2003 4Runner has been intermittently failing to unlock via keyless entry, even though all other doors respond to the remote control. Not sure if this is an electronic issue or a mechanical issue, but would be curious if others have had this problem. The truck is just out of warranty, so I would prefer not to take it to the dealer and have them search for an intermittent problem. Any insight on possible causes and fixes is appreciated.
    Your description of your previous sunroof issues sounds exactly the same as mine. I'll look for the TSB. Thanks for the info.
  • drex1drex1 Member Posts: 41
    My '99 4Runner Limited is finally about to need new tires in the next 6 mo. Can anyone recommend a good set of tires which produce low road noise, good wear, and decent for occasionally off roading? Thx.
  • dedheddedhed Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2006 V8 Sport that I would like to put a new "after-market" stereo into... the question is, "will the steering wheel audio controls work with a new unit??? :confuse:
  • zx7davezx7dave Member Posts: 1
    Did you get this problem fixed? We are having similar problems on our 2001 4Runner. We've replaced the mass air flow sensor, the 6 injectors, and put in iridium spark plugs. It still loses power randomly, on surface streets and the freeways, and at all speeds. It's getting very annoying and costly. Will be curious to hear if yours got fixed.