Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• supersupergregsupersupergreg Member Posts: 5
    Yea, I had a simular problem, not sure if it's the same though. My antenna got stuck in the up position and would not go down when i turned the truck off, instead I would just hear this awful gear grinding noise everytime i turned on/off the radio. I found out the motor had broke for the antenna and it needed to be replaced.
  • joe149joe149 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 97 4runner Limited and the rear wiper, rear defrost and rear window are all inop. All happened at about the same time. Everything was working fine, then the wiper started working real slow. When I push the button on dash for rear defrost it does not light up or stay 'in' and it makes a buzzing noise. Also the license plate light will stay on all the time even with vehicle turned off. The only way to get it to go out is turn ignition on and then turn back off. This happens just about every time I lock doors and set factory alarm with the key fob. I have checked all fuses and even checked wiring from roof to rear hatch and found no obvious problems. It seems like they must be related. Is there some relays some where that controls these functions? Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
    I have posted my problem all over the place and cannot get any response. What do I need to do? The only responses I get are telling me to post somewhere else. HELP!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have you checked your battery and alternator?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mike805mike805 Member Posts: 33
    This may be a tough problem to find and it sounds like more than one problem. The rear wiper, defrost, and rear window all will have the same return circuit from the rear door. I would suspect a corroded or loose connector that contains the return (negative). The license plate light sounds like something in the processor that controls which lights are on. Hope this gives you some clue where to start.
  • 19841984 Member Posts: 16
    i had same similar problem on '07 sport - it was the seat latch. it took 3 visits to the dealer before they fixed it.
  • 19841984 Member Posts: 16
    my '06 V6 sport does a similar act - if i come to a complete controlled stop at a light, after about 2 second there will be noticable 'jerk' coming from the rear end. the dealer claims there is no problem. i have 18.5K miles on it now and will likely unload it before the summer is out!!
  • mhalesmhales Member Posts: 1
    This 4runner runs great in 2wd. when you shift to 4wd and accelerate it lurches forward like the front wheels are in 4low and rear in 4high or vice versa. It is undriveable in 4wd to the point the front or rear tires squeal like they are being pushed. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info Mike, I'll take a look and let you know. Joe
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I have an '06 SR5 V6, it does the same thing when stopping. A few second after coming to a complete stop there is a definite lurch forward. It's leased so I don't worry about it too much, but I have definitely noticed it.
  • chasinglifechasinglife Member Posts: 3
    Greetings All,

I HAD this problem and went through all the same BS as all of you including the Lexus TSB (which Toyota would not apply). I had multiple visits with the Toyota Technical Field Rep as well.

Toyota's response was always the same, a slight rotation in the rear axle when coming to a firm stop and then a second slight reverse rotation causing the "clunk".

Mine is fixed. For other reasons, I ended up lifting the 4runner a bit via a suspension lift (Donahoe Racing). The new rear springs are a progressive spring with a rate approximately 15-20% greater than stock. The front was lifted to level by a new set of coilovers.

No more clunk whatsoever. My best conclusion was the increase in spring rate in the rear and the leveling of the vehicle (it doesn't slope down so much in front anymore) have eliminated the rotation of the rear axle. The increased spring rate in the front also eliminated a really annoying flutter at certain times on the highway. No new driveshafts, lubing slip yokes, etc.

New rear springs can be fabricated at increased spring rates for less than $100.00 per spring. Front leveling spacer kits can be had from Daystar for a song. Of course there is installation involved. Check with your local 4WD shop.

I can't guarantee this for you, but my clunk is COMPLETELY gone and I have a better handling vehicle.

Cheers..
    2006 T4R SR5 4wd
  • mike805mike805 Member Posts: 33
    Sounds like you reduced the angle between the transfer case and rear differential by raising the front. Did you have a problem aligning the front wheels or any other problems with the installation?
  • chasinglifechasinglife Member Posts: 3
    No, I had no problems with alignment. I had a 4 wheel drive shop in the Phoenix area do the installation and they use a shop for alignment after installs. Again, I had a NEW and DIFFERENT set of front coilovers installed which were adjustable in height and also increased spring rate. My stock coil/shock combination was very soft so I wanted the increased rate and go one size up on tires.

DAYSTAR makes a couple of different leveling kits for the 4runner. Here is a link to one website that shows the different options for the 4runner. Again, I went with the Donahoe Racing kit but the Daystar leveling kit might work well for a lot less money if you are O.K. with the front spring rate. (The 4runner looks great leveled out).

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/03up4runner.htm

I don't know for sure if the leveling of the vehicle or the different spring rate in rear, or both, solved the problem, but it is gone which tells me it has nothing to do with the driveshaft, slip yoke, etc.
  • tha1tha1 Member Posts: 7
    Do you guys know where I can get a the TSB for this??? I have brought my 4 Runner in 3 times and the mechanics can't seem to find the problem even when I told them that this might be what it is.

Thx for your help.

Tom
  • dwalmquistdwalmquist Member Posts: 2
    I just noticed that my '04 4 Runner is leaking oil or something right under the middle of the car. Help!!

-Dave
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Who's changing the oil? 1) The oil plug has a gasket that should be changed every time the oil pan drain plug is removed. 2) Could the drain plug not be tightened --- I'd check this right away. 3) Do you have the V8, because I have the V6 and can see the oil filter and feel if it's tight, however I don't know where the V8 oil filter is located --- it could be loose, so can someone chime in on V8 oil filters??? Those are my best guesses. Good luck.

Last but not least, since you said oil or something, what color is the something? If it's red then it's tranny fluid.
  • bartholmebartholme Member Posts: 1
    how to access 2000 4 runner oil filter
  • noel3noel3 Member Posts: 4
    TSB!! I cannot get my local toyota or national to acknowledge the TSB - can u post yours - or how can i get a copy i have an 04 4 runner but the problem is similar.
    thansk -mnkraus@optonline.net
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I haven't followed this thread, but maybe it would help if you just asked them to fix the rattle? Dealers are funny about people walking in wanting a TSB applied if they haven't diagnosed a problem.

See You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin. You can find a link to TSB summaries there btw.

If this an out-of-warranty issue, then maybe the Understanding After Warranty Assistance article will have some tips that'll help your case.
  • ace309ace309 Member Posts: 1
    I got a 92 4runner, 4cyl manual. Starts up great, recently parking brake light and battery light on dash stays on, it used to turn off after the truck started moving. And now after driving for about 5 mins, the battery drains, rear abs brake light come on(in dash) and when the truck is turned off, it wont start again cause the battery doesnt have enough juice, but after waiting a while and getting a boost, works fine again, but same thing happens.
    Im gessing the alternator is draining the battery cause i cleaned the terminals, checked the wires, all fine... if it is the alternator, are there any tutorials online that i can follow?
    thanks
    skyguy309@hotmail.com
    if it is the alternator, are there any tutorials online that i can follow?

If it is the alternator your only practical alternative is to replace it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I have an 06 SR5 4X4 V6 and this same thing happened to me this morning. I started the vehicle and the Check Engine light stayed on, then about 5 seconds later the VSC TRAC, VSC OFF and the indicator that shows the traction system is active (a car with wavy lines behind) all came on, I restarted the vehicle but the lights stay on. I'm only at 16,700 miles so it's under warranty but wondering if you got yours resolved easily.
  • thattrailerguythattrailerguy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 90 4runner V6 i was trying to give it a tune-up but the timing mark is advancing as i hold the timing light on it. It is moving slowly and constantly in a counter clockwise direction it will move out of site then slowly appear again from the other side and repeat. It is almost like the pulley is slipping on the crank but the bolt is tight and the engine is running fine. Has anyone got any ideas?
  • kct1024kct1024 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue with my '99 4Runner. First thought is alternator, but not sure either. Brake light comes on when I first start the car and eventually blinks out. Let me know what you find. I plan to test my alternator this weekend.
  • 4runner444runner44 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am new to this forum and recently purchased a 2000 4runner limited 4x4. The 4runner only has 81K miles on it and is in great shape. I have had it for about a month and noticed a squeaking sound this morning. It sounds like it could just be a simple belt because it goes away when I hit the gas. I didnt know if it would be the timing belt since I havent hit 90K yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Rob
  • bobgordonbobgordon Member Posts: 156
    Sorry for the late reply.............

You'll need to make a jumper wire and connect it between E1 and TE1 or (T) in the check engine connector.
    This is located next to the fuse box in the engine compartment.
    After it's "jumped", you'll be able to check your timing.

Hope this helped!
    I guessing that your alternator is fine....check the parking brake lever/pedal. Move it around when you see the brake light on.
    If it goes out, you've found the problem...the parking brake switch.
    Rob, take a bottle of soapy water and spray the belt when it's making noise. If the noise goes away, the belt is the culprit.
    If not, remove the belt and spin the different components; alt., idler pulley's, etc. and see which one is squeaking.
  • thattrailerguythattrailerguy Member Posts: 2
    I did that before I started but thanks for the input.
  • dkrazydingodkrazydingo Member Posts: 5
    First of all I have a 2000 4Runner 3.4lt engine v6.

Secondly, everytime I go to refuel, the gas pump stops pumping short of 2-3 gallons. If I wanted to maximize my fuel tank capacity (for long trips), I would have to constantly squeeze the lever on the gas pump for at least 5 minutes (very annoying). I've used different gas stations and went as far as to checking the vent system of the gas hose and still nothing.

Finally, I'm getting real poor gas mileage. I've checked spark plugs, had the oil and air filter changed and tire pressure checked. I'm currently in the process of putting fuel cleaner in the tank.

By the way, a couple of months ago, on the way back for a trip. I was driving through the desert and stopped off at a gas station to get some drinks. After a few minutes have passed by, a couple of guys walked in and said that they saw a 4Runner spill alot of fluid. I didn't think anything of it, but later on while I was driving, I noticed that I was missing about a quarter tank of gas. I thought I would mention this fact because the poor fuel issue started right after this happened.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what I can do to solve both problems?
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    Does anyone have them on their 4Runner? What do you think of them? How many miles? Would you get them again?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I've had Revo's for 12,000 miles. They just started getting loud, but are wearing well. Road noise is my #1 complaint with my 4Runner, and the Bridgestones just make it worse. My mileage has dropped 2-MPG versus the factory Dunlops. Traction is very good, but the stiff Revo sidewalls don't help the ride at all and I question what traction I'm gaining when it feels as though I'm bouncing down the road because the tires have no give in the sidewalls.

Michelin just came out with a new all-terrain in our factory 17" size you might want to look at. Last but not least, my next of tires will be Michelin LTX MS. Everyone I know who has them love them as they're quiet, wear well, and give overall the best traction available. I'll have to change the tire size to P255/70/17 as the LTX MS isn't manufactured in our factory 17" size.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    I replaced my Dunlops with Michelin Cross Terrains. Not cheap. They are not aggressive, so if you're going mudding get something else. But they work fine on the highway and on the beach. I use dedicated snow tires in the winter, so I can't comment on how the Cross Terrains work in the snow -- the Dunlops sucked hard in snow.
  • ronald57ronald57 Member Posts: 3
    I was shocked to find that a shock began leaking ,16,000 freeway miles .Excellent warranty service at dealer in grants pass, oreg[was vacationing near there} Anyone else with similir failures? absolutely no wheel shake at any speed,as others have descibed. michelin crosses came on my 07 (had they not i would have put them on)and i drove them on a nissan pathfinder i owned, good in snow and never once a tire failure.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    With the thousands of 4Runners sold each year, and the thousands of parts used to create such a vehicle, a bad part is bound to happen every now and then.

I wouldn't be "shocked" over the shock!
  • ronald57ronald57 Member Posts: 3
    Your words are true,anything man-made will and can fail within moments upon its completion.
    anything man-made will and can fail within moments upon its completion

Apparently, your computer and the internet lasted long enough for you to post that message and you're obviously a very fast typist considering your keyboard survived long enough for you to type that sentence! :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rsmith8rsmith8 Member Posts: 47
    I have 50K miles on my '04 Sport Edition V8 2WD and was looking at maintenance items. Up until now I haven't done anything but change the oil/filter and have the tires rotated every 5000 miles to satisfy the 100,000 extended tire warranty requirement - except today I did have the serpentine belt replaced because of cracks, the throttle body cleaned and the differential fluid replaced at the urging of the dealer. (Dealer said transmission fluid change was NOT needed due to WS grade of fluid used. Also, he said it was not necessary to replace the coolant as this model has the ultra long life coolant.) Same battery, working fine even in the Texas heat. Same brake pads. Plenty of pad left per the most recent checks at the dealer.

Believe it or not but I am still riding on the OEM Dunlops and per the last service, they still have 6/32" of tread, so I may just give up on ever getting a warranty replacement set and buy some new tires as handling is getting pretty sloppy. Getting 4 new Dunlops is by far the least expensive solution as the spare has never been on the ground. Has anybody had experience with Continentals? I never get offroad and rarely tow anything. Gas mileage is good (computer says 21.8 overall - and I know that is an inflated number, but ballpark). Road noise is minimal with the Dunlops. I'd hate to spend a ton of money and get significantly worse mileage and/or have a lot of road noise. Also, I cannot believe that the maintenance items NEVER mention replacing a fuel filter! Doesn't it have one? Surely, this is something that should get replaced sooner or later. Comments?
    You sure must drive easy to get that kind of miles out of the "Dunflops".

You can check tirerack.com for reviews on the tires. Generally, the Continentals on passenger cars get extremely poor reviews. A good indication of mpg of tires is how much the tire weighs, while this isn't everything, a lighter tire "in most cases" has lighter rolling resistance.

I spent the nearly two hundred dollars per tire to get the Michelin Cross Terrains, easily one of the best highway tires on the market for SUVs. Very quiet and very smooth.

Good luck on whatever you decide!
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    I have almost 75 K on my Dunlops. Not sure what to get next?
    Either LTX and change size or the Cross Terrains. I drive 90% highway in my Sport Edition V8.
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    I have a 2004 Limited with 51,000. I just replaced the OEM tires (Bridgestone H/L) with Bridgestone A/T Revo. I really didn't need to replace them this soon, as I had plenty of tread left on the OEM, but I had my eye on the Revo for awhile now. Check them out on TireRack.com. They are a little pricey, I got them for $170/tire.
    I replaced my Dunlops with Michelin Cross Terrains. Very expensive tire. I can't say that I've noticed any significant difference in the ride or handling. I think they are a bit quieter, though.

I haven't driven the truck in the snow with the Michelin Cross Terrains -- I've now got dedicated snow tires. I did drive the truck in the snow with the Dunlops and was suitably unimpressed. Acceleration in the snow was good with the Dunlops, but turning and braking were downright scary. The snow tires are much better, as expected.

Both the Dunlops and the Cross Terrains do just fine on the beach. Neither are aggressive tires for mudding. Revos are more aggressive, but you'll pay for that in gas mileage and noise.
    I am surprised you don't notice a bigger difference. The Michelins have a stiffer sidewall and are MUCH QUIETER than the Dunlops.

They are also much smoother at higher speeds.

Good luck!
    I ordered a new set of Dunlop Grandtrek AT20s, 265/65R17, blackwalls, from Sears yesterday which, I think, are essentially the same tires that came on the 4Runner. Sears agreed to pricematch Sam's Club price at 110% of the difference. Total for 4 tires with mount and lifetime balance and tax was $473. I'll be surprised if I am still driving the 4Runner when these tires need to be replaced again. I expect to buy another 4Runner when the next generation somes out - eventually. I have been very satisfied with this one.
    That's a very good price for the tire package!
    The Dunlops weren't that noisy when new. They did get noisier as they got older, however.

I just don't see a big difference in the handling or ride. With either tire, the 4Runner rides pretty good, for a truck. It brakes pretty good, for a truck. And it handles pretty good, for a truck. But I'll never mistake it for anything other than a body-on-frame truck with heavy, solid-rear axle.

Perhaps if I drove the two tires back-to-back on a closed course I would notice a greater difference. As it is, I think the difference is somewhat subtle (except for the reduced noise).

The Michelin is a good tire, but it sure is expensive...
    AS I mentioned above, I tow a 21 foot travel trailer. With the Dunlops I noticed a lot more side sidewall flex when towing that I do with the Michelins. (The SUV wouldn't want to go in a straight line even when no wind).

I think this goes to a little harder rubber and a higher tread wear rating.

On the '05s and up you have giant rotors that I believe are like 13". These are bigger than some 1/4 ton trucks out there.
    Just to update, the dealer told me this was due to the fuel cap not being on tight. I challenged them on that due to the fact that the Traction Control system lights were all on as well and they said that didn't matter, that having a loose fuel cap will turn them all on. Sounds fishy to me but for $50 they turned the lights off. :(
    I agree, I can see the check motor light coming on, but not the Traction Control as well.

So - I am assuming the dealer hooked up the truck and pulled a computer code? If so - what code was it? Usually the paperwork will say what codes were stored in the computer.
    Tires I order at Sears arrived and were installed with several problems. First, the installer accidently broke one of the TPMS sensors. They ordered the part but it was going to take several hours, so I had them dismount the spare wheel and use that rim with sensor for the 4th new tire. I left the original, unused, spare tire to have it installed on the remaining wheel when the sensor arrived. I returned the next morning to have the spare remounted in its place under the back. The TPMS light stayed ON. They didn't know what to do to remedy and told me to take it to the dealer and they would reimburse the cost - assuming they had done something wrong. The dealer said the tire(s) would have be broken down so they could get the 'number' off the sensor so it could be 'reseeded' into the 4Runner's computer. They couldn't get to it today (Saturday), so I made an appointment for Monday AM. Hopefully, that will resolve the TPMS light and Sears will reimburse the cost. Otherwise, I will add a comment later.