Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

DODGE RAM DIESEL vs V10 FOR TOWING

2»

Comments

• gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    Did dodge offer the 3500 w/o the dually in the former body style? Seems kinda strange not to, I see tons of construction types around here, like Roc, with 1-ton fords w/o dually. Dodge may be smart about marketing, starting the whole diesel thing with Cummins, quad cab, etc., but they miss the boat with the lack of a crew cab and dually-only 1-tons.

Regardless of the 19,000 lbs (V-10) or 18,000 (Cummins), I'm guessing the Cummins would be a good choice for sjh3, who sounded like he had a prefference for the Cummins anyway.

How much of a science is in the tow/haul ratings for these trucks anyway? I'm guessing that the manufacturers may be able to estimate the payload/tow rating within 2-3K pounds, but the specific estimate must be fairly subjective. I wonder why Dodge chose to say the V-10 has a higher rating. I know the Cummins weighs more, but it's not like you are going to break anything at 19,000 pounds vs 18,000.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    I have trouble with the rating systems too. Ford and Chevrolet have different ratings depending on rearend ratio. Dodge gives the same rating for different rearend ratios and transmissions. But theres more to the rating than at what point the axle breaks. Can you accelerate on a freeway on ramp? Can you stop? I suspect the Dodge rating of 18000 for the cummins was based on the lowest capacity (automatic). I cann't believe the stick and auto are the same or the 4.10 vs 3.54 are the same. That doesn't mean I feel all autos should be rated less than manual, just the current Dodge auto. But I know this may start a war, but the V10 auto vs the Cummins auto both with 4.10 the V10 should outpull and out accelerate the cummins. And its quieter and initial cost are lower. The cummins wins all other categories. Operating cost are less and if you keep it till the body falls apart its cheaper overall to own. That does not mean my next truck (havn't received the current one yet) may not be a diesel. If Dodge and the other manufacturers come up with a strong 5 speed auto and get the noise no louder than the Ford diesel I might go that route even though I don't keep a vehicle more than 3 years. I feel alot of a diesel initial cost is recovered on trade-in, so Its not as bad as it looks to own for 3 years 36K miles. Which brings up another problem I have. When I was working I put about 32K on a truck in 3 yrs. My current truck has 52 K in less than 3 yrs. I feel the diesel engine will become a bigger seller in the next 10 to 15 yrs, but it maynot be the diesel we know now. ... Rich
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    Why are you so shocked on the gas vs. diesel ratings? I've been trying to tell you that in other posts for a while. You don't need to start on the diesel advantages again. I know they will out last the truck. It wouldn't matter if the 3500 was a SRW it still would have the same running gear as the 2500 hence the same tow rating the only thing that might change is the GVW due to different spring rates. As with Ford's Super Duty line there is no drive train differences between 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I do think it's funny that they still refer to them as 3/4 and 1 ton trucks when they both have a payload closer to 2 1/2 tons.
  • bmckenziebmckenzie Member Posts: 118
    Jason,
    You are telling me that an F-250 Superduty can carry 5000 lbs. of cargo?.......Bill
    Ok, I was a little creative on the 250 but the reg cab with a weight of 4956 and a GVW of 8600 leaves a payload of 3644 or 356 lbs short of 2 tons. The 350 with a GVW of 9600 or is it 9900 lbs should be very close to that 5000 lbs. payload. I know that super cabs and crew cabs and 4x4's raise the vehicle weight reducing the payload but they're all above that "old" 3/4, 1 ton desegnation(sp?)
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    My point on being surprised, and my tendency to contradict the ratings of the V-10 being higher than the Cummins, is that even if the V-10 might out-accellerate the Cummins at the extremes of the tow/haul loads, the diesel is working less hard and there is no question IN MY MIND which would handle 18K or 19K-pound loads better and more dependably over any period of time if pushed. Seems like that would be figured into the ratings even more than the the other small differences.

Anyone know exactly what the weight difference is between the V-10 and the Cummins?
  • bmckenziebmckenzie Member Posts: 118
    Greg,
    I am not sure what the V-10 Ram weighs but I can tell you my 2500 4x4 Ram with a Cummins weighs
    6400+ lbs. Maybe someone in this Town Hall has the Curb Weight for a V-10........Bill
  • genesamgenesam Member Posts: 2
    The F-250 and F-350SRW might be more similar than you thought. The last brochure I saw, a '99, listed the same respective front and rear GAWR for both trucks. They apparently have the same springs. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the trucks that would affect the payload rating is the tires. The F250 has LT235/85R16E tires with a max load of 3042#. The F350SRW has LT265/75R16E's with a max load of 3415#.
    I seem to think they have the same axles hence the same GAWR. It's in the springs where the GVWR changes. Axle ratings and vehicle ratings are different figures. I do not believe the spring rates are the same between the 250 and 350. Am willing to be enlightened.
  • wildmanbakerwildmanbaker Member Posts: 65
    Has anyone with a V-10 noticed a decline in mileage during the cold weather? Our Diesel has dropped off about 2 mpg in the cold.

Wildman
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Diesel in my area of Massachusetts is now up to 2.10 per gallon . I was thinking of buying a diesel but think i will wait ......and thank God I dont heat my home with oil 1.85 per gallon P.S. regular unleaded 1.33
  • davidb10davidb10 Member Posts: 8
    Well if you tow a load,a diesels the only way to go! If you keep it long enough the diesel will pay for its self...
    I did try a 96Ram with a v10 ,and was very disapointed with it's preformance or lack of it!
    It also got poor fuel mileage solo or towing,not to mention all the other problems with the truck..
    Buy Diesel !! in my opinion
  • eric16eric16 Member Posts: 38
    Your MPG will be down during cold weather do to blended fuel to keep it from geling. It has less cetane or boost to fuel.

Eric16
  • sharky_133rsharky_133r Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at getting either the 2500 V-10, the 2500 Cummins or a Dakota Quad Cab. I live about 2.5 miles from work and do 120 mile road trips about twice a month. I plan to get a 20-27 foot toy hauler(enclosed trailer with living quarters and a garage for my motocross bike). I usually travel at 85-90 on the trips and 80-85 when towing the small enclosed trailer I have now.

Any ideas on what kind of mileage to expect out of the V-10/cummins unloaded at 90MPH?
  • philmaarphilmaar Member Posts: 3
    The performance graphs of the V-10s & the diesel are at sea level. Diesels at altitude should do better (turbocharged). The V-10 should loose power at altitude. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has experience with the V-10 at altitude (3000'plus) Did you notice a decrease in available power as you climbed? Any other input on noticeable effects of altitude on non turbo engins will be appreciated. Thx
  • comptimecomptime Member Posts: 19
    Sharky, I just took delivery of my 01 Quad V10 4x4 2 weeks ago. I too only drive a few miles to work a day and will be towing my boat ( 28' 9200lbs on a trailer) a few times in the summer. I couldn't justify the xtra $4000 for the cummins. I drove the truck to Cloumbus Ohio from Detroit and at 70 mph I averaged 12.5 MPG. City is about 8.5 but I only have 670 miles on the truck.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.