Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rkymtnhghrkymtnhgh Member Posts: 14
    Yesterday, I placed the gear shift in reverse and as I began to take my foot off the brake, I felt a shudder in the brake pedal and heard a noise like the ABS was kicking in. All of a sudden I see the VSC TRAC OFF and ABS lights go on. I noticed that the shift lever was ever slightly out of the reverse notch (toward neutral) but not enough to make the gear indicator on the dash to change. I put it back in park and then back in reverse. After backing up a few feet the lights went off again and everything seems normal now. Is this anything to be concerned with?
  • rayyrayy Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the help.

Finally got my master cylinder replaced at the Toyota dealership on a 2004 4R. The brake vibration has been greatly reduced, but I still feel there is a ping in the pedal after a few presses. I guess, I'll drive for a while and see if it gets any worse. Like to find out what other people have experienced after getting the brake master cylinder replaced.
  • oscarz3oscarz3 Member Posts: 5
    That ping you feel should fade away over time. I got the master cylinder replaced on my 03 right away because of buzzing. Afterward, I had that ping for a while but it faded away. If it's still there, I don't notice it.
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    hi i was wondering, do you still have the buzzing in your brake booster after changing your master cylinder.
    No. Replacing the "Master Cylinder Assembly" eliminated the vibration/buzz felt in the brake pedal. However, a weird "ping" or "snap" could be felt at times but it was nothing compared to that damn buzzing vibration.

Brakes are great now. I have about 6,500 mi on it.
    I am having a very tough time getting toyota to replace mines. They wont admit to it being a problem considering the brakes work fine but that annoying buzz just drives me crazy.
    That's because it's expensive (apparently over $2,000). When I first got my 4runner, I called around to different dealers and asked what this buzzing crap in the brakes was. Some said it was normal, others said not normal.

I read through the manual carefully. Despite some vague/confusing wording about buzzers, alarms, and vibrations in the ABS, VSC, and Traction Control sections, I concluded it was not normal for the brake pedal to vibrate every 3 times you step on it. It would drive anyone crazy. It's a defect.

I'm not the only one who has had the Master Cylinder replaced because of this. Do a search.

My advice is to ask for the Field Service Tech, and after that, if necessary, start arbitration.
  • ttenragttenrag Member Posts: 38
    I bought a 2004 SR5 4x4 6 months ago (Dec. 2003). I have had no problems with the vehicle until very recently the drivers seat seems to be loose. This is the only problem I have experienced with my 4runner. Other than that ....great vehicle.
  • kdvaillancourtkdvaillancourt Member Posts: 19
    04, 2 wheel drive, limited, 4k miles. I have had no problems with vehicle until last week. I am not overly sensative to issues, but I have rattles. Most appear located around the plastic surrounding the radio, center console, and lately under the date near the brakes. HELP, if possible. One other bit of information; the only thing that I know changed - I reduced tire pressure reduced from 35 to 32.
  • rayyrayy Member Posts: 8
    I still have ping, but nothing like it was before - the brakes feel a lot smoother. After reading some of the posts here I insisted the service manager talk to the toyota field rep. It took about 3 weeks before the service manager called back and I had one of the technicians drive with me. Actually, it was easily reproduced just by pressing the brakes 2-3 times while the vehicle was standing still.

Just got a re-call notice from Toyota about some crankshaft part that needs to be replaced on the 2004s 4Runner. Anybody know what this re-call is in detail?
  • lukeglukeg Member Posts: 32
    is the recal for the crankshaft for v6 models only? Or v8s also included?
  • bobsbobs Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 4Runner SR5 with 50K miles and have had to have the rotors replaced 3 times now, and it feels like I am going to have to replace them yet again. I am extremely gentle on my brakes (so gentle that the technician said that my pads look nearly unused), and I cannot figure out how to stop this from happening. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions on how to keep it from happening? I am a bit concerned b/c while the first 3 repairs were covered, from here on out I am footing the bill and I believe it will be substantial each time. Thanks
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Have your replaced the rotors on all four wheels? Or just two? Rotors should not warp by themselves. I know that applying the emergency brake (rear wheels) to hot rotors can cause them to warp, however I don't know what other causes there may be. It also seems that you are saying that the rotors were replaced, but not the pads. I'd replace both. Finally, you may want to find a new service location that does good brake work.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    Tightening the lug nuts unevenly, especially when the rotors are hot, is one possible reason. The lug nuts should be tightened evenly in a crisscross pattern to their specified torque setting. I remember from my 1980 Honda Accord, which was notorious for this problem, the calipers and brake pads must be exactly parallel to the rotors to prevent hot spots (shims in calipers/brake pads to accomplish this). Try aftermarket premium metallic brake pads for better heat dissipation. Also, try to bring your vehicle to someone who has the equipment to turn (cut) the rotors when they're on the truck. I eventually installed "drilled" rotors (holes in them for better heat dissipation). Hope this helps.
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    As "biglata"stated--
    " The lug nuts should be tightened evenly in a crisscross pattern to their specified torque setting." Use a torque wrench; the same problem occured with Jeep Grand Cherokees if the lugs were not tightened equally and evenly.
  • vq4rvq4r Member Posts: 2
    Just recently bought this SR5 and I AM NOT COMPLETELY SATISFIED of its PERFORMANCE, ABILITY, DRIVE TRAIN and GAS CONSUMPTION. Engine is good but the performance isnt appreciable.
  • vq4rvq4r Member Posts: 2
    The engine might be tempting but the ability handling POOR, the GAS consumption VERY POOR, the drive train is Fair.
    I cant believe it mechanical problems starts after 24,000 miles. reports shows, the 2002 model has the best record ever manufactured 4 runners.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    "Just recently bought this SR5 and I AM NOT COMPLETELY SATISFIED of its PERFORMANCE, ABILITY, DRIVE TRAIN and GAS CONSUMPTION"

** So how satisfied are you? As for Gas consumption, higher gas consumption is to be assumed in any SUV. The 4Runner gets about average mileage when compared to other similar mid-sized SUVs. Consumer Reports and many other publications lauds the V8 4Runner for its many attributes.

The 4Runners (v6 and v8) performance for both acceleration and braking are average or above average. It's handling is better than most other mid sized SUVs being sold today, especially if configured with the optional rear air suspension and X-REAS.

Ability? What are you referring to? The 4Runner is quite "able" to perform under nearly any terrain conditions. It is certainly more capable off road than the Chevy Trailblazer and For Explorer.

What other midsized SUVs have you test driven? If you perceived shortcomings with the 4Runner during your test drive, why then did you purchase one? Purchasing any vehicle is a big decision and should be done with care. I had visited about 18 dealerships prior to purchasing my 2003 V8 Limited. I have just over 12000 with no defects or problems to report.
  • kingrunnerkingrunner Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced this same obvious flaw in the transmission .... and noticed 6 other post that described virtually the same issue.

I got a lot of "rhetoric" from the dealer ...but no answer. My fear is that it will get worse.

Is there an answer??? .... with exception of replacing transmission.

Has anyone had it corrected by dealer yet??
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    truck. But what did you expect for mileage? It's a 4200+ lb 4WD truck with the aerodynamics of a brick.

I've got a 2003 V8 4WD. As far as I'm concerned, the performance (0-60 in about 7.5 seconds) is pretty good, for a truck. With XREAS, the handling is pretty good, for a truck. The ride is pretty good, for a truck. The mileage is pretty good, for a truck.

Compared to a car, the performance, mileage, handling, and ride aren't very good. But it isn't a car -- it's a truck. And I can't take a car 4 miles up the beach at Cape Pogue to do some fishing.
  • coolpop36coolpop36 Member Posts: 65
    I have an 04 Limited with X-REAS and I love it. No squeaks, no rattles, no vibrations, nothing. Now, even with the X-REAS, it doesn't handle like a sports car but it's not supposed to. I will say this though - the handling is tight for an SUV. Go and drive and Explorer, an Envoy or a Tahoe and see how sloppy the handling is on those.

I love this truck!
  • my2centsmy2cents Member Posts: 20
    For owners of 2003-2004 4Runners that stink there has now been a TSB issued to help relieve the problem. Effective May 27,2004 this TSB includes flashing your Electronic Control Module (ECM) with a new set of instructions and the replacement of the catalytic converter assembly. This TSB is identified as “EG015-04” and is applicable to V6 engines only with VIN numbers that are earlier than the following numbers: (2WD) JTEZU##R#40026890, (4WD) JTEZU##R#40032900, (2WD) JTEZU##R#480115332, and (4WD) JTEZU##R#480119048. Remember that this coverage is provided if you have a complaint. Toyota is not anticipated to send you a notice of a recall. A recall for V6 engines is also coming on potential oil leaks stemming from an error in fabrication of the crankshaft pulley housing. Effected customers should receive a recall in the mail. Unfortunately I don’t have the numbers for this recall yet but your dealer should already be aware of this work and the effected vehicles.
    Do you have anything about V8 being recalled too?
  • 4burb4burb Member Posts: 55
    bmw323is, you mention "applying the emergency brake (rear wheels) to hot rotors can cause them to warp?" I have a 2000 and live where it is necessary to apply the parking brake. I also apply it just out of habit when parking other places. I would assume applying it after driving, the rotors would be very hot. However, I am on my original brakes and have had not problems up to 53K and am still going. What do you mean by this?
  • fp7937fp7937 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard of any progress on the vibration problem on some v-8 models. Mine occurs between 1800-2000 rpm's. The dealer told me that Toyota was aware of the problem and is working on a fix. I love my suv but it;s quite annoying.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    4burb, I mean when the rotors are REALLY hot. I drive a BMW on the track with heavy and constant braking. Using the emergency brake when parking after coming off the track is a no-no. Unless someone is driving their 4Runner extremely hard, or perhaps immediately after coming down a long mountain pass, using the emergency brake shouldn't be a problem.
    Do you know anything of a recall on the brake booster buzzing issue? I know of someone who brought a 2004 4runner and his brakes don't buzz. Is it because it's a late model 2004 4runner and a change was put in already? Anyone with the same issue or has a solution. Please
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I have an 03 Sport. My brakes have never buzzed. It may be yours buzz and shouldn't.
    Thanx for tip on the TSB of the sulfur smell. Turns out that the rattle under my 4runner was the converter going. My truck was running rich and was causing the converter to work harder eventually leading to it breaking apart inside resulting the sulfur smell.
  • trc86trc86 Member Posts: 2
    I have had a 94 4Runner w/108,000 mi. for about 2 yrs now and my mechanic just informed me that he hears a slight ticking noise while pressing the accelerator in 4th gear. He told me that if I hear that noise getting louder or in other gears, I should get rid of the truck immediately cause it means the transmission will need replaced soon. He indicated that it w/be very difficult to even find a manual transmission for a 4WD. He also said that IF they were lucky enough to find a transmission, the expense of the transmission would be atleast $1,500 and another $1,500 in labor.

This truck has been exceptionally good to me and I am reluctant to get rid of it since the first owner was impeccable with maintenance as noticed by his personality and maintenance receipts (private sale). Does this sound accurate? I’ve heard of noone else experiencing these serious transmission problems in the ‘older’ model vehicles on townhall/expert answer pages. I know the guys in the shop are usually envious of my well-maintained vehicle.

Am I being BS’ed cause I’m female or just naive? It’s so hard to know who is honest anymore...
    Why not get a second opinion, perhaps from a local Toyota service dept. or ask around for recommendations on a good mechanic that works on Toyotas. I'm not sure I would buy that diagnosis based on only "hearing a ticking sound" or the $3000 total for a manual transmission fix. Sounds fishy to me.
  • lccbrookslccbrooks Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone noticed the headliner (I believe that is what it is called) scratches easily? Can it be replaced.
  • lccbrookslccbrooks Member Posts: 7
    Thank you so much for explaining the transmission problem I also was having. I took my 2004 sr5 in and the service guy told me that the vehicle will eventually adjust to my driving. I thought his response was a bunch of... However, I bought my 4 runner in February, I don't notice it too much anymore.
  • 4rnr4rnr Member Posts: 25
    Just found out that Toyota has released a TSB for the 2UZ-FE engine(V8 powered 4 Runner). The repair procedure is identical to the V6. The TSB # is EG020-04.
  • trc86trc86 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I did get a second opinion from a Toyota dealer mechanic and he felt confident that it was not the transmission. Possibly some gasket issues in the gear shift down the line but nothing major (I can live w/that).....Whew...feel much better. Thanks!
    You're quite welcome, I'm glad it worked out for you. Your 4Runner is only middle-aged, still plenty of miles to go on it.<grin>
    04,V8,Limited, 10 speaker 6 disc changer: Question 1 - when I turn up the base from 1 to 4 or 5 I notice very little difference. Is this normal or do I have a amp. problem? Question 2 - follow up to one of my prev. questions, but no responses. Do any of you have creaking in the dash when you accelerate or break?
    You should definitely hear more bass as you crank it up to 4 or 5. I have no creaking in the dash for my 6 CD player located there.
      I have an 03 Sport with 10 speaker JBL. I have adjusted mine to 4 Bass 4 treble, 3 mid and 4 fade to rear with surround on. I would rate the system as a 8 on a scale with all I've owned in other vehicles. My Nissan 240SX was a 10, my Honda Odyssey EX was a 2. My DC Grand Caravan with Infinity 10 speaker system was a 7 for example
  • 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    I too have the JBL sytem. I would rate it a 4 to 5 out of a possible 10. The bass is set at 4, the midrange at 3, the treble at 2, the fade at 6 rear and the surround is on. There is very little stereo effect, it seems that most of the sound comes from the front center speaker.

I've complained to the dealer on three different occasions about the system; on the third visit I compalined of a hissing sound coming from the system when cold and they replaced the amplifier. The system seemed better, but not by a whole lot.

It's hard pill to swallow that Toyota would charge so much money for this system, I may just replace it with an after market system.

Check your front defroster ducts for the creaking or rattling sound, mine were loose and the dealer fixed this problem.

Other than the JBL, the vehicle seems well made and performs well. I would recommend it anyone, but without the JBL.
  • glb2glb2 Member Posts: 14
    Actually, its called a moonroof. Mine will not close properly. It only closes about an inch
    then reopens. The only way it will close is when
    I reach about 55mph and it retracts from wind
    resistance. Then I can close it. I've done this
    three times. It also doesn't sound as smooth when
    opening. Anyone experienced this?? THANKS
    FYI...for anyone with a 2003 or 2004 4Runner, you have a choice whether to get DRL's (daytime running lights)on your vehicle or get rid of unwanted DRL's even after you have the car sitting in your garage. Modification cost is about $40 (new signal flasher and bulbs). Takes about 30 min. to an hour in time and is quite easy. Basically it involves only changing your turn signal relay and bulbs. Relay is mounted and plugs in on the back side of your fuse block on the lower left hand side of the dash. If you don't have DRL's and want them you get the DRL type relay and replace the existing one with the new one, or if you have DRL's and don't like them get the non DRL relay and make the same change. If anyone is interested I'll outline the procedure in another posting.
  • gcmellogcmello Member Posts: 17
    I'm interested in converting my 2003 V-8 Sport Edition to DRL. Please elaborate on your description of the modification--DRL relay part number, etc. Thanks.
    I have them on my 03 V-8 Sport. I thought they came with them as I wasn't charged for them. The DRL use the front turn signals at a reduced output. It makes much more sense than using the headlights at reduced output.
      I have come up on too many drivers with headlight DRL's and no rear lights at night.
    Not all of the Runners come with DRL's. For the most part they are either added as an option which is typical for a specific marketing area, or are added to all vehicles as in Canada. Here in the midwest (Chicago area), you almost never see a 4runner with them or can you even find one with them. It's all in the marketing. Anyway here's what's gotta be done to get them.
    Parts include: (1) #81980-35020 Flashers Relay and (2) new turn signal bulbs #4157NAK (refer to your manual). The new flasher relay replaces the old one which is part #81980-50030. You can get the relays at your dealer for about $41.00 or go online with someone like partznet.com which sells them delivered for around $36.00. Just replace the existing bulbs and relay with the new ones. To do that you must take the lower left hand dash panel off which has 2 screws on it and snaps off. Next remove metal shield behind the lower steering panel. Then unplug the fuses and relays that have wires attached to them since this helps you freely move the fuse junction box. Now unscrew the fuse/junctionbox which has 3 screws. Then turn the junction box towards you and you will see a biege relay about 1.5" wide. That's the non DRL relay. Slide it out (can be alittle tricky). Connect the new, bigger (2.5"), Black, DRL relay into the same clip the NON-DRL relay was on. Plug the connector into the relay without using the existing wire harness adapter (the NON-DRL relay is smaller then the DRL relay and you will see the the lighting wires connect to a small wire harness. The wire harness connects to the NON-DRL relay. You must remove the relay and the small harness which you WILL NOT need for the new relay). Reverse the previous procedures to access the relay and your done.
    I have 04 4runner v8 Sport. Today Toyota dealership fixed the smell problem. They have changed the catalyst and reprogramed the computer. The smell is gone. I don't drive with rear window down, but smell still was entereing the cabin from time to time. Also I am tired of hearing on the street on the red light that my truck stinks like $***. No more bad stink and I can drive with side windows open. Schedule this repair. It takes few days to get parts in.
    I still have problem with:
    - sit being loose
    - vibration with RPM between 1800-2000
    - vibrating breaks.
    1) As per my previous questions regarding creaking sounds (see posts) I thought they were in the dash, but appears the creaking is my seat. When I apply the break their is a slight movement of my body which causes the seat to creak, not all the time. I have noticed some previous posts regarding "loose" seat. Is anyone else having this problem? When you rock back and forth in the seat you will notice the creaking. If so, has anyone been able to get this fixed?

2) Please explain the different dynamics with respect to surround on and surround off.
    Let me ask you, I have a 03 4runner v6 limited after the procedure was done to my truck I notice my truck in gear drive idle at about 500-600 rpm is this normal on yours or others? Reason why I am asking is because now my engine feels like it's about to cut off and trembles a little. Took it back to the dealer and he tells me that they always idle at that rpm, but I never felt the engine tremble like that. Does anyone know what is the normal rpm for a 03 4runner in drive gear with foot on the brakes standing still. I thought it was around 650-800 rpm and 750-900 in park mode. Anyone technical person(S) can help me.
    I am not a mechanic, but never owned a car that idled in 500-600 range. My 4runner idles at 700-800 range. I would take it to a different dealer.
  • mac34mac34 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2004 4Runner Limited 4x4 with XREAS Shocks. Had the car only a few days but just noticed a slight rattling sound near the left rear tire area when I sometimes hit rough road/bumps. Have checked all of the obvious such as loose items, but it sounds like the sound is coming from the shocks. Curious if anyone else has experienced this problem.
    700-800 rpm in park or in drive with your foot on the brakes sitting still. The dealer says it's normal, but I think since I got the computer (ECM) reset and the catalytic converter change it's idle borderline 500-600 It trembles a little at 500 rpm. Anyone else can tell me the same or is it different in their 4 gen 4runners.