Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've driven over 50,000 miles with canoes on my roof, and it's been my experience that bungee cords and rubber straps fail more often than rope. Can't beat a trucker's hitch although lots of people like straps with cam buckles.

Steve, Host
  • dpengdpeng Member Posts: 5
    Hi ramza39,
    I bought a 04 V8 SRS 4Runner early 2004 and have been stuck with a problem since then -- annoying humming noise from transmission at or above 72 mph. Brought back to dealers many times but got no fix; some said the noise is normal, some even claimed the noise cannot be heard. If you do decide on a 4Runner, here is my (hard-learned) advice: test drive at least 3 different 4runners on both local and highway and then choose the best one. Do not be fooled by the sales: "the 4Runner is a quality product (many of them are!) and Toyota is fully backing its product". The truth is that not all 4Runners have been created equal and, when it unfortunately has a problem, it is hard to get the problem fixed from the dealer -- they usually deny the existence of the problem or claim the problem is normal. Good luck on your purchase!
    The Trucker's Hitch, aka Cinch Knot.

Steve, Host
  • dlxraydlxray Member Posts: 3
    I have the Dunlop Grand Treks. I have read many different complaints on this problem and I even drove a newer 4Runner that had Michelins on it and that also shook the wheel on the highway! I cannot beleive that Toyota can't resolve this.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I have the GrandTreks on my 04 as well. I had a shimmy/vibration after a wheel balance. I eventually had the tires re-balanced using a more advanced balancing machine. The GrandTreks do not seem like very good tires, but the recent specialized balance seems to be a major improvement.
  • dlxraydlxray Member Posts: 3
    Do you notice the shimmy only at certain mph? Mine shakes at 59, 64, 68 mph... after 70 mph the shake can be felt in the seat. I don't know what to do any more. The truck was $38,000 and I'm disgusted! Maybe I can get the dealer to change the tires. ???
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    I don't see why everyone seems to put down the Dunlop Grand Trek tires. I have over 18000 miles on mine and don't experience any shake, shimmy, or otherwise abnormal tire wear. Perhaps the predominant problem is the need for tire balancing, which has been previously suggested.
  • onesononeson Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if the 4-Runner is comfortable for drivers over six feet tall. I've read some complaints from people saying that their heads hit the moonroof on the SR5.
  • mr43mr43 Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 rear seals leaked at 80k miles. I had the drums replaced and the seals in Sept 02. Had my car inspected again in June, no rear brakes...Had them replaced again and the seals and just had vehicle inspected again. No rear brakes! Anyone else having this problem? Toyota is very unresponsive.
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Get one without the sunroof. I'm 6'4, and have plenty of room without it. I realized that in my previous vehicle I used the sunrooof maybe 3 times in 5 years.
  • alotawattsalotawatts Member Posts: 44
    I am just posting this so other owners can take a close look and avoid problems:
      I purchased this 2001 2WD SR5 4runner new. At aprox 20k miles I had the differential gear oil changed. I now have about 24k miles and noticed what I thought was a very slow leak at the diff. drain plug. Turns out the seal where the bellhousing meets the differential had a leak and was dripping down to the drain plug...very hard to notice. The work / repair is covered under the drivetrain warranty fortunately.
      When I first discovered the leak a few days ago I checked the fluid level and had to add aprox. 1/3 quart to bring it up to full. The diff. holds about 3 quarts total. Does anyone know if driving mostly in town for 1-2 thousand miles with the gear oil aprox 11% low could do any long term damage to the pinion gear or other components ?
    Thanks
  • run4runnerrun4runner Member Posts: 9
    Is there any one know if the new 4runner needs break in for the first 1000 miles? If so how crucial it is? I read the manual and it said it will add up economical value in a long run. I have a hard time driving at 60 mile per hour on the right slow lane in California freeway, every body push over 70 to 80mph. Thanks.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    My owner's manual was not clear about a break-in period for the 4Runner. Even if you want to be careful, you don't have to stay below 60mph. Just keep the RPM's under 4,500 and vary your speed if driving for long distances on highway. This should suffice for the first 1,000 miles or so.
  • run4runnerrun4runner Member Posts: 9
    Thank you very much for the info. I did not know you need to vary the speed, but at least I have kept the engine speed under 2,500 RPM at this time for the first tank full gas. So far so good, no problems.
  • kdvaillancourtkdvaillancourt Member Posts: 19
    The manual has information regarding the break-in period. My memory believes it is for the first 1000 miles.

Response to Onesone: I am over 6' and have the limited WITH sunroof. The power seat has so many adjustments that you can find a comfortable position.
  • 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    I just the drove the car under all sorts of conditions so there wasn't a break-in so to speak.

I did learn, however from a Toyota Dealer that the computer on the car learns your driving habits and adjusts itself as you drive the car when new. I don't know if he was blowing smoke, but thought I would mention it anyway.
    Almost all dealers of any car will now tell you that their auto transmission cars will "learn" your driving habits. I hate equipment that is smarter than me, so I purposely drive all different ways. My transmission will probably have a nervous breakdown and I'll get stuck paying for the counseling!
  • yomolsyomols Member Posts: 24
    I remember seeing a few posts warning that the clear plastic that covers the gauges can scratch real easily. Has anyone found a safe way to clean them. I was just gonna use a soft damp cloth. Thanks
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    I just replaced my lens. It was only $18.00. Took about 15 minutes to replace it. I figured to try and clean it good I would have to take it off anyway, so I just replaced it. Mine was awful, from now on I am just going to use my air compressor and blow it clean.
    I use a damp clean chamois and just wipe very lightly to get the dust off.
  • yomolsyomols Member Posts: 24
    Think i'll try the chamois first but it's good to know that changing the lens is no big deal. thanks again.
  • djlandkpldjlandkpl Member Posts: 11
    Would you provide details on changing the lens? Thanks.
  • p53mustangp53mustang Member Posts: 16
    Hi guys and gals, just bought 04 v8 limitted this past labor day. So far so good except after engine turned off there is a loud ticking noise that will go off and on. It sounds as if it's the muffler when cooling off but this thing is really loud. Like I am inside the house (den) next to the garage (closed) and I will still hear it.
    Also is it just me or anybody else experienced this. Whenever I stepped on the brake while at a standstill the break pedal would feel like it would vibrate as if the abs is activated.
    This thing only has 200 miles in it, still under break in.
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    You should of waited and get the 05' v8. Many of the bugs i heard are gone and the v8 now produce 270 horsepower compared to the 235 the 03-04 has. Toyota hasn't release the gas mileage yet.
  • p53mustangp53mustang Member Posts: 16
    Yeah , I know but I need to get a hold of one for an upcoming trip (post break in ) to tow. Besides i've always had good experience with Toyota's. Worse comes to worst I'll just get rid of this thing and try a different manufacturer (except american car)
  • dhuadhua Member Posts: 2
    Consumer Report rated 03 and 04 4runner engines as "unreliable". What were the common problems? Would Toyota solve those problems by installing the new engines in 05 models? I am interested in buying a 05 V6 Sport edition, but concerned about the quality. Is the V8 engine a much better one?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    TONIGHT - 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET
    Get LIVE feedback on your maintenance or repair problems. Join our guest experts alcan, 0patience and mr_shiftright as they tackle your fix-it questions!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Answer> Consumer Reports is "unreliable". You can read EVERY post & not one has a blown engine.
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    If I'm not mistaken, the v6 is the same engine in the o5's. They just changed the transmission to a 5 speed.. Also, the v6 got an unreliable rating because of the fuel line issue(which is fixed). The v8 never got a bad rating.
    What would be the noticeable difference in the 4 sp auto and 5sp auto? V6 4.0 liter engine
  • ohtomaohtoma Member Posts: 28
    I just purchased an '04 SR5 after a long and extensive search for a new truck, and I must say it is very nice. However, this morning I shifted out of H4 into H2, and while I was backing out of my driveway it hesitated and gave a very loud clunk. It has a softer clunk when driving forward and shifting from H4 to H2, although I believe this transistion shouldn't be noticable at all.

I plan to take it to the dealer to get this checked out, but I'd like to have some info to go in with to make this a one trip fix.

Thanks
  • rlopezrlopez Member Posts: 1
    Fellow 4-Runner Owners,
         Whenever I am making a u-turn, I hear a clunk coming from underneath my 2003 4-Runner Sport 2-wheel drive V-8, has anybody else experience this??
  • ch1133ch1133 Member Posts: 43
    1. Does anyone know if transmission fluid Type T-IV is a fully synthetic type?

2. Which other fluid can be used instead ot T-IV ? If possible I am looking for fully synthetic type from any major oil company. At $ 35/quart from Toyota dealer there must be someone else producing it for less. I change fluid often since I do lot of towing.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    You keep asking the same question. There were two replies to this question in the 2005 Toyota 4Runner thread. Once again, the 03 had a fuel system problem, that was fixed with a recall, and the 04 has not been rated yet. So far I have not heard of any engine problems with the 04 V6. I hope this corrects your impressions.
  • bigbobobigbobo Member Posts: 3
    Recently purchased a used 99'4WD,(77k) 4Runner.What is the normal oil-filter change interval?Also any particular maintenence problems in general, to watch out for?
    Thanks in advance.
  • suvistsuvist Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 04' SR5 4WD. Love it! But when I use the brakes I feel a little click on the pedal sometimes. Does anyone experience same? I never had ABS brakes before. Maybe it's normal? Any advice would be appreciated.
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide has service intervals for your car. It's not broken down by regular or severe service intervals though.

Steve, Host
  • bigbobobigbobo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks a lot.
  • briman2kbriman2k Member Posts: 20
    I have a '04 SR5....does the same thing....

Brian
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    if you do not have a Limited, then you have the old-style part-time 4WD (you pull a lever rather than pressing a button to engage it) which needs to be engaged at least once a month and driven for ten minutes to stay lubed. Alternatively, you could make sure that the propeller shafts and yokes are getting lubricated at each oil change (NOT the standard practice of places like Jiffy Lube, for instance). I use 5K-mile intervals for oil changes on mine (which is much older than yours), but the book says 7500 is OK if you do not have any of the "severe conditions" (towing, all trips short duration or stop and go, or lots of gravel roads).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    I would not put any other fluid in your transmission besides the type IV. I suppose you have the v6 4 speed. If you do a drain and refill every 15k miles you will not have any problems whatsoever. I can get the fluid for $ 3.75 a quart at my dealer. It will cost you less than $20.00 bucks every 15k miles to do this service, which is pretty darn cheap.
  • ernest1ernest1 Member Posts: 1
    On a 91 4Runner V6 SR5 4WD Canadian Model. This vehicle has DRL. Is it normal for both headlights, turn signals, and all marker lights including the rear licence place light to turn on everytime you start the vehicle. Vehicle has factory CC. Vehicle had an after market command start installed and trailer light wiring harness. (not factory OEM plug in type). Whoever installed the trailer wiring harness spliced the rear signal light wires to hook up the trailer lights. (have totally disconnected the trailer light wiring harness and totally disconnected the command start). Ignition is dash mounted, not on the steering column. We can drive the vehicle for the 3 or 4 days or less than ten seconds before alternator light comes on and the battery appears to be totally drained within five minutes. We shut the vehicle off, get a boost, the vehicle starts every time, warning lights turn off and we wait until the next time it happens. We have to literally carry an extra battery around. Everything is power in this unit, everything works fine. Is there anything in the steering column, ignition, center console, or lighting system. Any suggestions!
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    The alternator itself could be killing the battery. Alternators can go bad just like anything else on your car. That's probably why it starts back up after you get a boost. Your battery will work every time it's charged or boosted but the alternator can always drain it back down.

Or something could be left running without your knowledge. My guess is the alternator.
  • scott78945scott78945 Member Posts: 5
    I have also experienced this problem and have taken it all the way to Toyota themselves. They stated it was a engineering defect and they don't know if they will have a fix for it as it appears to now have an effect on the engine. I think that if enough of us complain to Toyota that have this problem that they will have a fix for it. I just can't believe that they have consumers buying their products and when there is a known problem that they don't fix it. I don't think that is the way that business should be done.
  • 4run4run Member Posts: 3
    I'm not so sure this is normal. I have a '92 v6 with the auto with 275000 km on it and have had a similar problem for a few years now. It normally occurs when the tranny is cold and it either refuses to shift out of first, or it either slips and grinds. I have had it looked at a number of times by the local Toyota dealer and they could not find and or replicate the problem. Today however, it got to the point that I could not drive it at all, it started bad, then got worse. You could hear the tranny slipping, with no movement at all. After about 20 minutes, it shifted like normal and drives fine.
  • wingshooterwingshooter Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new 04 4runner and had dealer (Puente Hills, Calif.) swap tires to Michelins as part of deal. They swapped 4 wheels from another vehicle, forgot to swap spare -- then neglected to swap or reprogram tire pressure sensors. After two appointements and much frustration, they still haven't figured out how to match sensors to the brain. The constantly flashing idiot light is hugely annoying. Any similar experiences/suggestions? Also note: tires on vehicle, as delivered, were grossly overinflated as well. All leaving me highly ticked off.
    Scott78945 are you talking about the 4 gen 4runner 03-04. Which engine noise are you talking about? I too experience a noise upon accelation, but i was told that the exhaust manifold was designed to thin. Could it be that you are hearing the exhaust valve as exit the engine while accelating. If so i have complained time and time again and Toyota says there is no fix to that,but there's no harm to the engine. If you are saying that this noise now has an affect on the engine it sounds like arbitration with Toyota is needed.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that sounds like a classic case of an auto trans getting near the end of its life. But remember to make sure that the auto trans fluid is fresh and full. If it still does that afterwards, you may need a new trans. If it is only happening when the engine is cold for right now, leave it overnight at the dealership and have them run it in the morning so they can replicate the problem.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• toms1toms1 Member Posts: 2
    Will a Gentex Autodimming mirror with compass, fit my 1999 4Runner SR5 ?
    Anyone fitted one yet?
    Thanks.
  • 4run4run Member Posts: 3
    That's the problem. It only does it occasionally. Wouldn't run at all for about an hour the other day, has run flawlessly since. A year ago I changed the oil and added a conditioner to it and it helped for almost a year, but didn't do a full flush and filter change. That's scheduled for tomorrow. According to the Hayne's repair manual, that is the first step prior to tearing it down.