Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rjordanrjordan Member Posts: 30
    Hello, I have the 2004 4Runner V6 4wd limited edition and it does not make any sound while shifting or after its engaged to 4wd hi mode or even when shifting back to 2wd. Before you take delivery, engage the 4wd and check for yourself. Bob.
  • charlie4runnercharlie4runner Member Posts: 22
    I think I have the same problem you are mentioning. It seems like every so often (5 or 6 times I step on the brakes) I get a ping also. I've brought it to the Dealer, and they they could not find anything immediate to say its a problem or just part of the design. I tried the Dealer's 2003 4Runner and did not notice the ping as much. It was alot more subtle. It bothers me because I can feel it. The dealer cannot find any Toyota Bulletins in Canada or US indicating any other recorded problems. I can't seem to believe this because it seems like several other people have similar problems. Is there anything I can give my Dealer to direct him.
    I like your answer, but it still doesn't explain to me why I feel this Ping on the pedal every so often. If everyone on this chat tells me that they feel this ping, then I would find better things to do with my time. Can anyone tell me if they do feel this on the brake pedal.

Thanks for the explanation, but I don't think the problem is going to disappear over time.
    Does anyone notice a Brake ping when they are applying the brakes. When driving around town or on the highway., it seems like every 5th or 6th time that I step on the brake pedal for whatever reason, I get a slight ping or buzz on the pedal.

Try this experiment. Put your car in park, and depress the brakes a few times. It does not have to be depressed too far. At the 5th or 6th time, you'll hear a buzz from the brake area.

The buzz doesn't bother me as much as the ping I fell in the pedal. Does anyone else feel this while they are driving around town. My dealer doesn't want to jump to conclusion as what the problem is. He says he doesn't feel it in his 2003 4 Runner.

Anyone out there might know if this is a problem or not. I also have a 2003 Highlander. The brakes feel alot better.

Please Help Me anyone

Thanks
  • newswordsnewswords Member Posts: 12
    A few months ago there were some posts from owners who noticed a rattle in the area of their defroster vents near the windshield - a jiggling noise that seemed in some cases to be temperature related.
    A similar sound has developed in my vehicle - it clears itself in warm sunlight or if I run the defroster at very warm temperature on high for several minutes. But if I start out on uneven pavement or washboard road in cold weather the rattle is very noticeable across the entire span of the windshield. Apparently, the defroster hardware (vents)contracts under cold temperature and something inside loosens up.
    Do any other owners who've experienced a similar problem have a way of dampening the hardware by inserting something into the vents or spraying something that might counteract the increased play within the parts , a method that doesn't require pulling out the dash to access the defroster vents? I'd rather live with the intermittent noise than take a chance on creating a worse problem by having the dealership tinker inside the dash. Of course, if anyone has had their dealership successfully eliminate the problem by going inside the dash, I would be interested in knowing how the technician accomplished that, as well.
  • suvistsuvist Member Posts: 2
    Mine is doing the same thing, but if you read your manual more carefully, you'll find that it's normal. As for the buzz, you're not supposed to depress brakes with ABS multiple times - you're confusing the computer.
  • firetyfirety Member Posts: 5
    We test drove a '04 this weekend and at one point, I noticed what you are calling a ping when we stopped. It didn't happen every time, but it certainly did on that occasion. When I got out, I looked at the breaks and noticed that the brake drums were rusted. Maybe that has something to do with it. Who knows. I'll tell you though, for it being a test drive, I was a little unnerved by the occurrence.
  • newswordsnewswords Member Posts: 12
    Based on reports I saw of a similar problem with Toyota's RAV4 on these boards - decided to spray base of windshield with WD-40. Worked. Rattle gone. It was the interaction of the windshield with the exterior cowling - dry and cold conditions created friction.
    I will check my manual and see what it say about the buzz. The buzz does not bother me as much as the little ping I feel occasionally on the pedal. I only say to depress the brakes several times in the park position because I can reproduce the ping after the 6th time that I depress the pedal. Also when you drive around, you will have to brake sooner or later. After the 6th time you step on the brake, you get a ping. If you don't notice this on your 4Runner, then that makes me think it might be my car.

There has been other people indicating that they had the Master Cylinder changed. Are they for serious?

I have about 5000 km on the vehicle. Almost ready for the first Oil Change. Someone had suggested maybe it's rust on the drum. Not this 4Runner!

The problem is a bit more complicated than that.

Does anyone else feel this little ping on the brake pedal?
  • mb2mb2 Member Posts: 1
    Suggestions to this problem greatly appreciated. I am able to lock/unlock my truck using the keychain remote. However, recently once I get in and try to start the truck, the ignition switch has been deactivated. I can reactivate it by simply unhooking/rehooking the truck's battery, so there is a work-around. It seems something has malfunctioned w/ the alarm system. Any suggestions?
  • fl95runnerfl95runner Member Posts: 1
    Hello all.
    I purchased a 95 V6 4WD in September. It's the Limited model, leather, sunroof, etc. It was in beautiful shape when I bought it, only 135,000 miles on it. Basically stole it for $5300. Anyway, it does have a couple minor things I am wondering about.
    First: When I open the rear window, the wiper arm goes inside the truck. I can't close the rear window unless I actually hold the arm out of the way. Is there some kind of rest or piece that holds the arm out of the way?
    Second: The truck has no manual. What is the "on/off" rocker switch below the gear shifters, on the drivers side next to the coin holders? I know the other one is for the rear window.
    Thanks, and this is undoubtedly THE premier 4runner forum!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    yes, there is supposed to be a little rubber platform above the rear window that the wiper goes up to and sits on. In order to accomplish this, the wiper itself has to have a little plastic extender on it that rides up onto the platform and parks the wiper in the correct spot. If either are missing, the wiper naturally will not perform properly. It is especially common for people over the years to have replaced the rear wiper blade and NOT reinstalled the plastic extender, which messes everything up. If either is missing, I am sure it would be cheap to get a replacement from the dealer.

As to your second point, mine is a '90 and so it is different. I know they moved the buttons around on the console between '90 and '95, and yours may have an extra feature that mine doesn't have.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• cloudrippercloudripper Member Posts: 3
    My 2003 Sport has 35,500 miles. Any suggestions on what to make sure I take care of before it rolls out of warranty?

I took it in this morning for: 1) sunroof rattle, 2) loose sunglass holder/cabin light assembly, and 3) popping in the rear speaker (JBL system) when the volume is turned up and the engine's running (doesn't seem to do it when the engine's off).

I'd had the sunroof rattle fixed awhile back, but afterward noticed the rubber was bunched in one spot. I took it back and they replaced the entire sunroof (!). Of course, with a new sunroof, the rattling started up again.
  • moeronnmoeronn Member Posts: 34
    It seems that others have had problems with their Check Engine and VSC Off/Trac lights. The lights on my girlfriend's '02 4WD 4Runner came on this morning. The car was in the shop a few days ago for a tune up and alignment adjustment, but I don't know how this would cause the VSC lights to turn on. I actually took the car back to the shop, but the lights weren't on when the truck was there and they said nothing was loose from the tune up. On my way to work , the lights stayed off. The lights came back on during lunch and it stalled at a stop sign. It seems to be running fine - other than the stall - although it does seem like it has lost a bit of power.

The car is out of basic warranty, but the drivetrain warranty is still good. Is this covered by the drivetrain warranty? If not, does it matter if I take it to an independant shop? I'll be taking the car in tomorrow for a full diagnostic, but any suggestions, recommendations or insights are greatly appreciated.

TIA,
    Dave
  • mprichmomprichmo Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 4WD SR5 and have had the same two lights come on and stay on. After a trip to the dealer, I was informed that if both lights are lit, the computer has registered a fault code. Mine was from the gas cap not being loose and the emissions system registering a vapor leak. I would find a dealer with a good reputation and have the computer checked for error codes.
  • moeronnmoeronn Member Posts: 34
    Well, I checked the gas cap and it was on fine. I loosened then retightened it just to make sure. The first few times I cranked the engine, it started fine, then quickly died. After a few more starts it now refuses to start at all. The engine cranks, but will not turn over. I had forgotten that we also had the transmission system flushed. Would the car refuse to start if there wasn't enough - or any - AT fluid? I noticed the ATF Temp light on while trying to start it the last few times, but it might be normal for it to just been on with the others when starting. I just wish this happened at home rather than at work (where I still am).
  • cancer27cancer27 Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 2005 V6 RWD Sport (three days ago).

Yes, I feel the ping as well. I was quite disturbed by it too. I am planning on going to the dealer tomorrow to have them check it out.

Do you think it has anything to do with ABS?? Maybe it is part of the design.
  • dfc1954dfc1954 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I have a 2002 4Runnuer. My sense lights 'VSC Off' & 'VSC trac' are on for months now. These lights were apparently selected by on-board computer because it had to select something to display. Toyota dealer advised me to ignore the expected meaning of these lights because it really is because my gas system overflow cup was ruined by too much gas 'topping-off' at the gas stations. He also said lights would shut-off in 1000 miles. The lights are still lit. Dealer said replacing cup would cost an exorbitant amount which I don't feel like paying. Anybody else encounter this problem? TIA
  • thompson5thompson5 Member Posts: 1
    i have been reading the posts about the moonroof vibrations and rattling, but my problem is when i am driving with my back windows down or partially down and a closed moonroof, the moonroof shakes so violently that the headrests on the seats start vibrating too. this is a 2004 limited and the problem started after the first 1000 miles. my dealer and the service tech told me not to drive with my back windows rolled down ever. i have kids riding in the back seats. it feels as if the moonroof is going to shake off, the dealer says this is normal. i feel it is a danger. does anyone else have this happening? thanks
  • bpatch2bpatch2 Member Posts: 8
    I would like to add the Limited sun visor with the illuminated vanity mirror to the passenger side of my '04 Sport Edition 4Runner, and also the electrochromatic rearview mirror. I found a vendor to supply both, but can't tell how hard it would be to get power to them. Since the mirror is listed as an option for my vehicle, I think wiring for the mirror might be in place, but not for the visor. Has anyone else tried this, or have recommendations for me? I'm pretty handy, but have no clue about how to remove the headliner if that's required. Thanks!
    The feel stills bother me. I have my vehicle scheduled for an oil change in a few weeks. The first one. My Dealer says they are looking into it. They have seen no other complaints or repairs on Toyotas lists. I feel a little better that you have this also. I took the dealer's demo for a drive and didn't notice much of the same feeling. However, I did not drive it long. They think I'm crazy because they can't feel it at all. Let me know how you make out.

The ABS I've been told is design differently. It has something to do with electro hydraulic something. There is a reservoir that occasionally has to regen. Step on the brakes a few times, when the car is parked. You'll get the same sensation. I have a 2004- 4Runner Limited 4WD

Thanks
  • 4runnerfan4runnerfan Member Posts: 6
    Hi all. I own a 2002 4Runner with about 45k miles, and the fog lamps have quit working. I replaced the bulbs, checked the fuse and the wiring leading into the rubber fog lamp assembly housing. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    dfc1946, Please notice my prior post concerning these lights. I would find a reputable dealer though. As the one here told me when my gas cap was loose, that the lights stay on once the computer has registered a fault code and the only way to get the to turn back off is if the computer is reset. As far as the $$$, again find a decent dealer. The dealer here adjusted the sensor and reset the computer for 1 hours labor charge. Mine is a 2001.
    4runnerfan, have you checked the switch on the dash to make sure that it is sending power to the harness? Also, make sure you have the parking lights on or low beams on. I believe there is an interlock switch that shuts the fogs off if the high beams are on. Let me know if that helps.
  • jsjjsj Member Posts: 1
    the service tech should have corrected the problem and reset the computer codes... did this happen? Some dealers would have charged a small fee.
  • wrigleywrigley Member Posts: 1
    My 98 4runner has been perfect (105K), but recently the cruise control will disengage intermittantly for no apparent reason. Some days it will work flawlessly and others it will disengage a couple of times within my commute. My original thought was that the shocks may be going and that a bump may speed up/slow down the wheel emough to disengage the cruise, but it happens on perfectly smooth roads in addition to expansion joints... etc

Any ideas? It is very frustrating.
  • lfitzlfitz Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new 4 runner and when I was leaving the dealership, my salesman advised me NOT to put young kids in car seats in the 3rd row. Does anyone know about these or have had any experience with the 3rd row? Are they unsafe?
  • bbarberbbarber Member Posts: 1
    I have the above and while I was attempting to replace the power antenna, I must have crossed the wires on hook-up, on the new aftermarket antenna from Antenna.com, and I believe I blew the relay for the stereo/power locks/clock and dome lights. I checked the fuse and it is fine, but none of those items get juice. Do you know how I can find out which or if it is a relay?

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

Wife's Without Tunes (and not very happy about it)
  • toyotaprobtoyotaprob Member Posts: 2
    Did the lights stay off? I've been having the same problem since July. My 4Runner has been to the shop about 10 times, I've spent $700+ and the lights came back on this morning on my way to work. Getting very disgusted.
  • toyotaprobtoyotaprob Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 4Runner has had the 2 VSC lights and the check engine light on since July. Have been to 2 different dealers. Have spent $700+. Can't seem to resolve the problem. Lights stay out about a week after each visit to the dealer. This is so aggravating!!! Any suggestions? I've read the other posts, but can't seem to find where anyone has had the issue resolved. I bought a Toyota to avoid problems like this, but am quickly falling out of love w/ Toyota.
  • oakbarkoakbark Member Posts: 1
    We've got a 2004 w/3rd row seats. We love them but I have to wonder, how could you put anyone but a young person back there? They've got fully approved seat belts and no air bags, which some argue are not good for very young kids. I worry about the safety of my kids more than most might - and I have no problems with the 3rd row seats. We love them.
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    The lights have not come on since the dealer fixed it back in July.
  • new2runnersnew2runners Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 04 4 Runner and the check engine & VSC off & VSC trac lights came on. Had an oil change and the dealer reset the computer, lights came on again later that day. 24 hrs earlier had a dvd player installed they noticed the check engine lights engine. They ran an OBD and came up with 2 codes (p0156 O2 sensor malfunction & p2118 TAC motor current range). Anyone have insight into this ? I'd like to go back to the dealer and tell them what to fix vs let them fumble through the trial and error
  • lpm141lpm141 Member Posts: 14
    Sak,

In a reply to your post I have a 03 4runner v8 limited. I have the same issue with my front seat it makes a very irritating cracking noise in different driving conditions. I finally after listening to this noise for 10k+ miles took it into the dealer for a warranty repair. Since I read other posts on this forum with the same related seat issue and found a TSB I felt it would be an easy repair. So I drop it off and tell the service tech all of the details. Well he calls me today and states I am sorry can not fix the seat. So I ask him why this is he states that Toyota finds the play in the seat in a acceptable range. I told him I have no movement in the seat just an irritating cracking noise. He replies with well I am sorry. Basically "go fly a kite." I Wasted a day and half with out the vehicle. Oh by the way I asked him about the TSB for the seat and he stated there was no TSB. I really believe Toyota service is not there anymore. I owned a Tacoma for 10+ years and hardly anything went wrong with it. With this 38k rig it is a rattle box with my sunroof making noises and seat it is just flat out unacepptable. I have been searching for a post with some solution to this issue but it seems either the dealer would not help or the track was replaced. Then some folks stated the noise came back after the track or seat was replaced. If anyone can offer any suggestions I would appreciate it. Also does anyone recommend what dealer is the best for the San Antonio Texas area?
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    Klaudnyc you posted a message about having your master cylinder change. I would like to know which dealership you went too. I still don't think that the brake booster should buzz. If changing the master may change that fact i am willing to try, but toyota is still fighting me on that fact especially the brakes still works.
  • charleskcharlesk Member Posts: 2
    Got new 2004 4 Runner with about 13K and considering purchasing warrenty up to 100,000 miles any suggestions or recommendations

Thank you
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Extended Warranties discussion while waiting for replies in here.

Steve, Host
  • stevenl721stevenl721 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. In my case they seem to come on when you go over 80 MPH, and they usually go out about week later, I mentioned this problem to Toyota, and they have no explanation. Quite annoying but what can you do?
  • stevenl721stevenl721 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2004 Toyoto 4Runner. I seem to be having a problem listening to the AM radio. When I drive the car there seems to be alot of static especially when I accelerate. The static seems to decline upon braking, but increases when I accelerate could this be something related to the spark plug wires? BTW When the car is off the AM radio is just fine. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    stevenl721, this sounds like a classic case of electrical interference from the ignition system. The 4Runners now have an ignition coil for each spark plug, and it's mounted at the top of the plug. I'd guess that you've got a bad spark plug or coil or connection (it's very short) between the two. There are other possibilities, but that's the first stuff I'd check.

However your vehicle is in warranty and this sounds like just the kind of thing the warranties are made for.
  • bought1bought1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 4Runner in Los Angeles but will require maintenance in San Diego. Are there any locals who are highly satisfied with a particular location? Thanks if you can help.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Hi guys, I'm fed up with Ford and my '99 Explorer, and I'm pursuing the Toyota/Nissan venue. Tonight I drove 2 4Runners, an '01 with 59k miles on it, which I liked, and a '99 SR5 Sport that I fell in love with. Only thing is, it has 138k miles on it, but it's "Certified". I know these things are made for 300k, but will it go that far without anything major? I've only got 50k on my '99 Explorer, but it's having problems that one with 100k would be having. Would any of you be leary of buying one and committing to spending 5 years paying for it, if it had 138k miles on it? It's in EXCELLENT shape, and has been babied tremendously. The price on it is pretty good too, $12,650. It's the cheapest 4Runner I've found.

What are the known problems with these, things that happen to most all of them? I heard a kind of knocking sound in the front end and the dealer told me it was "slack in the driveshaft, at the universal joint. Happens to all of them, but won't be a problem." Is this so? Or is he just trying to make a sale? Unfortunately, I can't get an extended warranty on it because of the mileage.

Also, what is the service schedule for 4Runners? For example, my Explorer had to have the transmission fluid changed at 30k. The dealer said that this one was just serviced, new timing chain, water pump, etc. I know it was gone over pretty well since it's "Certified," or at least I'd like to think it would be.

Bottom line, would this be something I can rely on for the next 5 years or better to only have to change the oil and put in gas? Or will major things start happening to it around 150, 175, and 200k? All your comments, suggestions, ect are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

idntnvu
  • jfb931jfb931 Member Posts: 1
    Hello tangman:

I have the same problem with my '94 4Runner.The antenna motor is making "grinding" noises. Both the manuals (owner and Chilton) show it is located on the passenger side. I looked underneath the dash boad, I don't realy see how to get access to it. Would you tell me how?

Thanks

jfb931
  • bpatch2bpatch2 Member Posts: 8
    I have an '04 Sport Edition and just replaced the stock sun visors with a set of Limited sun visors which have lighted vanity mirrors. The installation was fairly simple, but I'm VERY disappointed with how dim the mirror lights are! The lights turn on just fine, but even at night they hardly provide enough light to see your face. They could never be used for checking makeup or looking to see if your teeth are clean! Would some of you Limited owners look at your lighted mirrors and see if they seem to be as dim as I described? I checked the hot wire voltage before connection and had 12.17 volts, so there should be enough power. Thanks in advance for your help!
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    The vanity mirrors in my 03 4Runner are pretty bright. I don't have any complaints with them. Perhaps the bulbs in your visors are not correct or they are not receiving enough "juice." You may want to consult a Toyota dealer or a local shop.
  • drex1drex1 Member Posts: 41
    The weather turned very cold recently, when I noticed a slight hesitation when starting my '99 Toyota 4Runner a few weeks ago . . . it hesitated, but it started fine. Then, just recently I would turn the ignition key to START and it sounds like the starter does not turn (like it hits a dead spot), then I turn the key again and the starter catches and turns the motor just fine.

I don’t think it is the engine, because when the starter turns, the engine starts just fine. I also don’t think it is the battery because the battery is only 6-months old and they lights/clock never drain down while starting. I also believe I can hear the solenoid click initially when I go to start, so I am inclined to think the starter may be dirty or has some dead spots internally. Also, this does not seem to happen when the car is fully warmed up, but tends to happen when the car is sitting for a bit (and the weather is pretty cold). Does this sound an issue with the starter? Is there anyway to verify it is the starter that is not working properly?

I have not repaired a starter in about 20 years, is it difficult to repair?
  • stove1stove1 Member Posts: 53
    The descriptiom matches my starting problems and every time its the battery. There are some trashy replacement batteries out there.
  • blk330iblk330i Member Posts: 5
    I had a similar problem with my 98 limited at 70K miles or so. I first have problem only during cold start. Problem persisted and got worst. A later stages, some times the starter would continue to crank (grinding noise) afer the engine had started. At one point, the engine continues to crack even when the (ignition) key is removed! I suspected and over time, replaced the battery, the ignition switch, and starter relay. In the end it was the starter. The starter solenoid plunger and contacts were worn down and the body cavity full of dust. I replaced it with the 1.8KWat heavy duty starter (Toyota PN 28100-6030-84). It was fairly easy job to do.
  • drex1drex1 Member Posts: 41
    Thanks for the information. I first had the battery check--it was fine. Next, I talked with the Toyota Dealer today and he immediately knew the problem immediately on the '99 4Runner--the starter (obviously fairly common). I plan to replace it myself. Yes, according the to NAPA, the 1.8KW starter is the prescribed starter for the 3.4L automatic. Did you use the Toyota part or other (NAPA)? Any gotchas in the repair procedure?

Again thanks for the help!
  • blk330iblk330i Member Posts: 5
    The starter I used is a Toyota part made by Denso. It was around $200-250 with $30 core charge from the dealer. The originally one was a 1.4KW starter which came standard on the with 2WD limited. The Toyota parts listed both 1.4K and 1.8K as replacements. I opted for the 1.8KW heavy duty one. The coil body was a little longer but no problem with clearance. Everything else between the two parts is the same.

No gotcha's in in the installation - at least on my 2WD.

Good luck.