Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• longbeard24longbeard24 Member Posts: 1
    I am having trouble with my 1994 4Runner rear drivers side brake locking at slow speed. Between about 1 and 4 mph when the brake is pressed just lightly it almost feels like you were rear ended. The brake will stay on at times and I have to go backwards slightly to release it or go forward but it feels more like I am forcing it to release that way. I changed the wheel Cyl. didn't help.
    I just bought this vehicle recently it is in great shape and seems to have been well mantained and only has 110,000 miles on it.

:lemon: ?
  • gis2gis2 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had problems with their 2005 Toyota multi function display, such as avg. mpg, avg. miles per hour indicating wrong? Thanks GIS2
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Like most such displays, the avg. mpg is optimistic by a couple mpg. Same was true on my last car, a 2000 VW GTI.
  • gis2gis2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply nedzel. The miles per gallon show about 2 miles/gallon more than actual. The avg. miles/hour indiate 30-40 mph even though I'm doing 65+ for over an hour.
  • robbdrellrobbdrell Member Posts: 1
    I just bought 2005 4runner. I would like to get a bug reflector for it. What's a good brand? Advance carries Bug Guard but i see other brands out there like Lind.

Thanks

Robb
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats on the new Runner. I think there are a few deflector posts over in the Car front end protective bras & film discussion you may want to scan while waiting for responses in here.

Steve, Host
    I believe it may be working as designed. I believe it is computing the average miles per hour over the time since you last reset it. For example, suppose you have never reset it, so it is computing your average MPH since you bought the truck. Suppose then you've driven the truck for 500 hours total. Driving on the highway for 1 or 2 hours isn't going to move the average much at all.

Check the manual on this.
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    The buzz bother me too. The new aluminum booster is a little quiet from what I heard at the dealership, but you can still hear it on a cool morning or cold day. It's hums in the summer and buzz in the winter. I don't know why toyota would built this system that way. I think the land cruiser has it,but not the sequoia. I also did read other post of owners having their master cylinders replace and that stop the buzzing. Toyota is not going to replace a $2000 master cylinder because we think that will stop the buzzing in the brake booster. Other then that it's a pretty nice suv for the price. :surprise:
  • mechengrmechengr Member Posts: 4
    It sounds to me like you have a vacuum problem- either a leak, or much worse, low manifold vacuum due to a worn engine. Your power assist for the brakes work off vacuum. Your heater/air conditioner mix doors also work off vacuum.
    Have you changed your brake fluid? It is hygroscopic, that is, absorbs water from the atmosphere over time, and sludge can build up in your system. You have to flush out the sludge with clean brake fluid.
    Your problem sounds a little like one that Hondas had. The fuel pump relay for Hondas is under the dash. On hot days with the car closed up, the temp rose so high that some relays would not work until the car windows were left open for awhile, or the sun went down. Try replacing your fuel pump relay. If you want to be sure, you can install a temporary fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail, then when it happens again, check to see if you have normal pressure. However, a relay is probably cheaper than a gauge.
    Wolflover, I sent you message # 982, but would like to add that if the problem is indeed the fuel pump relay, as I suspect, the test conducted by your shop will not detect it. They tested the electrical signal to the injectors, which may work fine, but if they are getting no fuel to them, your car won't start.
  • simple_guy35msimple_guy35m Member Posts: 14
    I have a problem with the multi function display of my 05 Sport V8 4X4. When I fill gas tank fully the display tells me that I have a range of about 140 miles. And when I drive........ say 100 miles, it still says I have a range of 120 miles left. I am confused.
  • lilkylalilkyla Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I have a 97 4runner and I get no traction what so ever in the snow. Every time there is the slightest bit of snow on the ground here in Colorado, my 4runner slides all over. I have put on new tires thinking that would help but it didn't. When I try stopping at stop lights or signs, I slide right through them even when I am driving as slow as I possibly can. I also have that loud grinding noise when I try to stop on snow. Believe it or not, I had better traction and felt safer in my little old 91 Nissan Sentra. I thought having an SUV would be so much better when it snows but I am seriously considering getting rid of it.
  • lazzarichlazzarich Member Posts: 37
    You do have a problem. I typically fill up (and top off the other 2.5 gallons) and my display reads 360 miles or so. I typically get 420 miles per tank and then refill with 23.5 gallons or so. How far are you getting on a tank? What is it reading for your average MPG?
  • rvalc43594rvalc43594 Member Posts: 31
    When you fill up do you turn off the engine? I find that if you keep the engine running and then fill up, but don't top it off. The fuel counter reset. The most mine has ever said was 270 for a v6 limited. :D
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    When you fill up do you turn off the engine?

That's the safe way to fill up - read the instructions at the pump next fill up!

Petroleum Equipment Institute

Steve, Host
  • jim58jim58 Member Posts: 20
    The Toyota service manager told me that the "miles to empty" on the multi function display was calculated simply by a flat in the fuel tank. I had asked how the computer knew that the tank was full or if just a small amount of fuel added. It seems odd that an expensive vehicle like that would have a more accurate way to calculate this function.
  • hardtoocatchhardtoocatch Member Posts: 5
    I just bought an 05 Limited a month ago has 1,500 miles on it and i,m getting rattling noises coming from the front wheel when i go over bumps in the road. I brought it to the dealer and you guessed it the problem is still there. They gave me some line about lubercating the chassie. I drove with the center caps off and it still rattles, I'm thinking it might be the cotter pin and adjustor cap that holds on the brake rotor. Can anyone help! What should I do? Does anyone else have this problem?
    Thanks for all the responses.
    When I fill gas tank I turn off the engine.
    My average mpg is 15.6
    These days the multi function display is showing around 200 miles when I fill the gas tank. Previously I remember that it showed 140 or 165. However the gas gauge needle is showing that the gas tank is full.
    I used to set my trip meter A to zero when I fill the gas tank. According to which I got around 280 miles on my trip meter with about 1/4th gas tank left (per gas guage needle).
    In this situation would you suggest that I visit Toyota dealership or not.
    Thanks
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I have a similar rattle coming from the front end (I have not determined that it is coming from the wheel)....seems to only happen when I hit a rather large bump in the road....I chalked it up to the various skid-plates located under the front end.....have not had it checked out as it just does not bother me too much. I'd be curious as to what it is if you are able to get a dealership to fix it. Thanks.
  • yobow1yobow1 Member Posts: 29
    When I bought my 2005 V6 SR5 4Runner the end of last year, I also bought some oil filters (I do my own oil changes). A few months ago I got a free oil change coupon from my dealer. I had my oil changed at that time. This past weekend I was due for my normal oil change and I did it myself. One thing I noticed though...the filter I removed, which the dealer installed on the last oil change, was a little longer with a part number of 90915-YZZD3. The filters I have are slightly shorter with a PN of 90915-YZZD1. I called the parts dept. at the dealership and they said that the longer filter is used on the V8 4Runner engine and that you can use either one on the V6. Can anyone confirm this for me or give me other information? I'd like to put the longer filter on if it adds to the cleaning qualities.

Thanks,
    David
    Thanks for the reply. I hope that it is the skid plates, I was thinking that to. Mine also only does it on certain bumps rather large ones I guess,but it sounds as if it is coming from the wheels, on both sides but just the front, it really bothers me. How many miles and year is your vehicle? Did you notice it as soon as you got the vehicle? Is anyone else having this problem?
  • 4runnersport4runnersport Member Posts: 5
    I am confused. I called the dealer to have my '04 4runner sport. The guy told me that they do not install clear bras on the front bumper because it is plastic and the clear bra is installed by heat. my neighbor has a mitsubishi SUV and he has clear bra on the bumper which seem to me to be plastic as well. Could any one tell me if it is safe or not to have installed a clear bra on the bumper.
    Also. I am wondering if I can buy a half set of black bra only for the bumper? If so where and for how much? this is because I have a bug deflector for the hood.
    Thanks
    My 4Runner is a V8 SR5, 2004, with about 7000 miles on it. It has been making the noise since about 2000 miles or so. I agree, the noise is only in the front end, and is on both sides (or maybe just coming from the middle, ie. skidplates). Mine is going in for an oil change pretty soon. I'll ask the service department if they have had similar complaints, and if so, what the solution is. I'll keep you up to date. Thanks!
    Whether clear or black, they end up creating lines on your paint at the edge of the bra.
    Cool.. thanks for the help
  • ben15ben15 Member Posts: 1
    I have problem with my Central door lock system on my 1999 4Runner limited. The unlock command works fine either by using the factory remote or by the switches on the door or just by door keys, but Lock command doesn’t work with either switches…. I tested the switch on the door and is working fine. Toyota dealer check it out and said that I have to replace the Fuse box and the Junction Block (junction box). Now, when I press the lock switch to lock I can hear a little click from the box that caries all the small fuses just under driver side dash (where all the fuses are), I’m not sure if that’s the fuse box or the junction block… I would imagine that would be the fuse box itself (it’s the light color larger fuse box just under the removable small cover. Anyhow, that box costs about $300.00 or so… I wonder if that can be repaired or if there is anywhere but dealers that I can order that in for less money….?Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
    :confuse:
    I am wondering how convinient tinted windows would be here in Denver. I am thinking of the deflectors in the window channel could damage the tint film. But I am thinking that the deflectors would touch the outside of the window and the tint film would be on th inside of the window. I am correct?.
    Also, Do you guys know how long a tinted window job lasts?. and how much they cost? Any suggestions on a shop that do this type of work well.
    Thanks in advance.
    :)
  • runnermikerunnermike Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I have a 2000 4runner sr5 and the daytime running lights keep turning on all by themselves! Needless to say but it keeps draining the battery. This has been quite a pain as AAA has made quite a few trips my way. Has anyone else had this problem? HELP!
    Thanks.
    As far as I know they turn on when the car is on but turn off when the car is off.. I would called the dealer and ask about. I don't seem to have that problem.
  • robbarobba Member Posts: 1
    Didn't see the previous message that triggered your response but I also have a 99 4Runner that had the same problem and I ended up getting a rebuilt start put in. It would click..click away and there did seem to be a connection with weather and certainly the fact it was cold as it didn't seem to be a problem after it was running.

I seemed to be able to save a lot of money in the repair by taking it directly to a starter rebuild company who charged a fraction of the cost of many of the other local repair shops.
    I didn't even bother talking to the dealership.
  • robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    I have an '04 SR5 V8 4WD. This past winter, when the temperatures dipped below -20 and -30, my low tire pressure monitor warning came on. Sure enough, the tire pressure was a bit low. I added the necessary air, but the warning light remained on until the ambient air temperature outside rose to above zero.

The next time it dipped down to -30, the light came on, again, even though the tires were of the correct pressure. Once it warmed up to above freezing, the light went back off.

I did not check the air temperature in the spare, but I doubt that it is monitored, is it? Anyone else have their tire pressure sensor malfunction, like this?
  • jmtreetopjmtreetop Member Posts: 130
    The spare tire is monitored. I had the same issue until I checked my spare tire and found it to be low on air pressure. My 05 manual also states that the spare is monitored.
  • amyb4amyb4 Member Posts: 1
    We woke up yesterday (Sunday) morning to firemen putting out a fire under the hood of our 1995 Toyota 4runner. The neighbor who called 911 said it sounded like the 4Runner was trying to start itself. We had it parked at a park-n-ride for a week (no foul play suspected), I drove it home 8 miles and parked it on Friday and had not driven it since. It started raining on Friday afternoon and rained until Saturday afternoon. We had a new engine installed in 2003, and recently had the oil changed and new front brakes put in. I was in a minor fender bender in April '05, and the body shop said there was no damage to anything under the hood. Aside from a few minor oil leaks, the car was in excellent condition. What in the world could have happened that set our car on fire?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's rather disconcerting! In all likelihood an electrical wire had been damaged or was defective and shorted out possibly with assistance from the water.

tidester, host
  • kiefer1kiefer1 Member Posts: 7
    what is the purpose of the rear spoiler on the 4 runner? can it be removed without damaging the body/paint?
  • mwrluthiermwrluthier Member Posts: 1
    Idle becomes irratic when you put your foot on the brake. Idle is faster than it should be; cannot be adjusted below 1200 rpm. Idle can be "tapped" down to 1200, but then creeps up to 1500 or more.

Trying to locate faulty diaphram or other vacuum related device that might be malfunctioning.
  • ipcccipccc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 4runner limited also and around the end of last year the air control unit starting doing the same thing you describe. Did you find out what was wrong with the control unit? Did it have to be replaced? One auto place told me the unit itself was $700 if that is what needed to be replaced, but they couldn't tell by hooking it up to the machine. They told me I had to go to a Toyota dealership. Thank you.
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Rear spoiler is actually functional on the 4-Runner. Like many other "slab backed" vehicles, the suction of the vehicle going down the road often causes dirt, water, etc. to spray up on the back of the truck including the rear window. The spoiler draws air from over the top of the truck down over the rear window. It is EXTRMELY functional in keeping it clean compared to not having it. As for your second question, I'm sure you can remove it, but it is fastened with bolts so would need filler and paint once removed. Hope this helps.

Ken
  • dom4dom4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 4Runner, at 10,000miles both front "Sway bar Link pins" needed to be replaced. The dealer said that they have had problems with these parts. The symptoms were noise in the front end, slight instability on turns. The state inspection did not pick it up. I had to crawl under the vehicle and manually move each suspension part, from tie rods to the link pins. I immediately noticed that the right side was very loose and the left starting. I do no off road travel, and the vehicle is babied to the nth degree. The dealer replaced them easily under warranty. All 2004 owners check this out before the warranty runs out. No recalls yet from Toyota. Ford Explorer types had the same problem and recalled.
    Now you have my interest. Can you describe the noise? When did the noise happen? What kind of "instability" did you experience. As I've said, I just hear a metallic clank when I hit an especially abrupt bump or pot hole. I only hear it when the windows are down, and never when they are up. I have not experienced any "instability," although I'm not exactly sure what that means. I'd be curious if you could provide some additional information.

Thanks in advance!
  • yeti351yeti351 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else had a problem with a small leak from the moonroof? I had brought in my 2003 4runner to my dealer and they advised me that the sunroof was designed to have drains to catch this leak. Should I be concerned??? since my warranty expires soon too. The rubber gasket surrounding the moonroof glass also appears to be "bubbling" up.... My dealer advised me that they would have to replace the entire sunroof assembly if I was to fix this...Any feedback appreciated...
  • kevin__lojac3kevin__lojac3 Member Posts: 1
    I guess you should have kept it in the garage like me or at least oiled the rubber. After you leave it out in the sun, the rubber bubles up from the heat and sun damage; once it is to that point it is runined for life. I think your moonroof is toast now, you need to get a new one.
  • 4rrrunner4rrrunner Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info. I own a '95 4WD 4Runner and I imagine that it's the same headache (cuz it looks like it is). I shall attempt this on my own.

Thanks
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I feel for you - vacuum leaks are SO hard to find. Rather than devices, check the vacuum hoses first, starting with the ones to the brake booster. I am assuming this is a 22R-E? The factory shop manual is very helpful for this type of problem - it has all the vacuum routings diagrammed. You need to meticulously check them all. In the end, I bet it is a hose rather than a vacuum control, but with the age of your Runner, it could be either. Good luck!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Please excuze my ignorance. If you have a sunroof on your 4R and you park outside (dont have a garage), then do you expect a leak in sunroof in three years.
    And to get a new rubber lining do you have to replace the whole sunroof unit?
  • rdecarteretrdecarteret Member Posts: 1
    Did you get an answer to your problem? I have a 2005 4runner and just purchased an 8 to 4 pin connector for the wiring harness for my trailer (trailer is brand new) but its not working....going to call toyota service when they open.....any suggestings?
  • lionheart57lionheart57 Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem also, there "IS" a monitor on the spare, & this is usually what is causing this in cold weather....
  • rudegar3rudegar3 Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if it would be possible to order one without the spoiler. Every one I see in CA has it.