Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• pnice2003pnice2003 Member Posts: 5
    Lets face it, the GT is the best bang for the buck out there, Its a budget Corvette,and if you have want a muscle car feel, then your probably not considering the V6 anyway. One thing I forgot to mention was the poor gas mileage that I had gotten with the V6. You would think by not having the V8, Ford could get something in the Mid 20's. The best i could get was 16 mpg combined driving.
  • 442man442man Member Posts: 210
    pnice2003 says..........."Lets face it, the GT is the best bang for the buck out there, Its a budget Corvette........"

Wrong again... the best Budget Corvette is the GTO with the same 6 LIter V8 as corvette... 400hp for $33k vs 300hp Mustang GT for $28k. Do the math...

GTO is $82.50 per horsepower x 400hp, fully loaded
    Mustang is $93.33 per horsepower x 300hp simlar equipped with Leather.upgraded shaker etc.

The truth hurts doesn't it. In 3 to 4 yrs, the Mustangs Resale will be the same or worse then GTO
    '
  • captnfredcaptnfred Member Posts: 4
    Was that mileage with the auto or manual? So far, I got between 20.95 and 26.06 with an average of 23.74. I'll admit, that's not great for a 2005 vehicle; it's only 2 mpg better than the 88 Ranger.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Can't comment on the MPG for the V6, but my GT is getting 24 MPG on the highway and 22 MPG in mixed highway/city....on regular gas. I'll take that MPG for a hi performance V8 muscle car.

Considering how wildly populat the Mustang is, and how hard it is to get a GT or 'vert, I'd suspect that resale will be quite good. Those that want one, but can't get one, are willing to pay MSRP, even for used ones. '06 GTs look to be strong sellers from the rate of orders. Pretty incredible given that those orders won't even hit the dealer lots until Sept/Oct. I can only imagine the '06s getting even stronger in demand as summer is just around the corner.

While this is a MUSTANG board, I'd place the bet that the resale of the Mustang GT will be quite good compared to the GTO (whose resale has dropped like a stone given what '04s are selling for).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    ... let's remember that this is the Ford Mustang 2005+ discussion. If you want to compare this vehicle to the GTO or the Corvette, please take it to the discussions that already exist for that purpose. Thanks.

ClaireS

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• pnice2003pnice2003 Member Posts: 5
    i stand corrected the GT is the best bang for the buck sports car period
    most people will find 300 hp sufficient
    ill put the extra 5 grand to better use than giving it to GM.
    By the way when does the gto convertible come out? oh yeah its not!
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    I placed an order today for an '05 GT, Silver Convertible with red leather package, everything actually but the shaker 1000. I need the trunk space. Dealer told me it would take about 6 weeks. I paid full sticker, no premium, no problem ordering exactly as i wanted. I don't think they are quite as hard to get as it seems on here. I looked hard at the Saleen, but the seat is a little higher and the bolsters are a little too tight for me. So i went with the GT and can always add the supercharger if i think i need/want it. I do like the saleen body package alot, their web site now shows it available for 1599. I think silver conv with red int. will look sharp, sure hope so anyhow.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    There's a big difference between the dealer telling you it will be here in 6 weeks and the car actually showing up. Don't be surprised if it's delayed or you have to wait for an 06.
    Very True!!!!!

From everything I've read, all the GTs have been spoken for via the '05 models.

There are a couple of things you want to check on, though. First, make sure you get the VOC (vehicle order confirmation) sheet from your dealer. Make certain that your priority number is at least "10". Then, ask the dealer what thier allotment situation is for Mustang GTs. Most have little or no allotments left.

IF the dealer has allotment AND they've given your order a 10 priority, then you can expect something in the range of 8-10 weeks for your order.
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    he said he had 5 left in allotment, so i assume that helps. He also said red leather sold out, but then sales manager said he was allowed 20% of his mustangs to order in red and he hasn't yet so he could do it. Dealer said he would have confirmation tomorrow. We'll just wait and see. I won't be surprised if it takes a long tim, but doesn't matter. I am just ordering for a weekend "toy" I am not selling anything so I just want by next spring.
    good deal.......be sure to get the VOC and make sure it has a priority code of 10 or lower.

Red interior (ICAP option) is NOT sold out. Not many are being made with ICAP.
  • tmtgttmtgt Member Posts: 18
    as I posted before, I ordered my gt con. 2/22..... priority was 14.. After waiting 2 months and hearing from my dealer that it might be in by June, then hearing it might not be built at all this year, on April 25, I called customer service in Dearborn... The woman told me that anything ordered from March on might not be made in 05, but mine should be done by june or july....ok, 2 days later I get a call from someone who says he is in charge of ordering cars in my area saying the car is a priority and will be built 5/23 (2 days ago) and should be getting it within 2 weeks after that. Oh, and please do not call Dearborn again that if I have any questions, call the dealer...hmmm.. I still haven't confirmed if it was built yet, maybe I'll call customer service again..
  • cigarmanbluecigarmanblue Member Posts: 31
    ordered my GT 3 weeks ago. i was not aware of of any priority #'s,, any suggestions ???
    Ask your dealer to give you a copy of the Vehicle Order Confirmation (VOC). That will tell you what your priority number is. Also, be sure to ask the dealer what their allotment situation is. See if they have allotment left and where you fall in line for the allotment they have left (if any).
    thanks
  • bricky20bricky20 Member Posts: 1
    It may be true that the GTO is a better deal than the Mustang GT, but I wouldn't be caught dead driving a Grand Am on steroids. With the $5,000 - $6,000 you save buying the Mustang slap a super charger on it, and you'll surpass the GTO in horsepower, and looking much better at the same time...
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I understand that resale values on the GTO aren't holding up so well either these days.
    I know that the '05 GT ordering is all but shut down (maybe a trickle of dealers here or there might have a little allotment left). So, here's the scoop on the '06s. Looks like the only changes are some colors, wheels and tire sizes.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=22570
    2006_Mustang_Order_Guide.pdf
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    235/50/18s????? That seems like a rather odd size.

I was hoping that Ford would have shod the GT with 255/40/18s. I believe that is what many of the mags predicted (and were told by Ford) prior to the car's introduction. In fact, Car and Driver had pictures of a pre-production Mustang with 255/40/18s. Looked nice.
    235/50/18 is slightly bigger than a 255/40/18. There are many available in that size (all season and summer) so it's not a unique size. And they are a bit cheaper than the 255/40s.

When the Lincoln LS came out it used 235/50/17 tires which nobody else used (other than it's DEW98 sibling Jag Stype and later the Thunderbird). Took a long time for anybody to start making that size other than the OEM firestones.

I know that Ford goes to great lengths to engineer the tires to match the vehicle so they had a good reason for using that size. I believe for the OEM LS Firestone Firehawks they went through over a dozen different iterations with Firestone before they were satisfied with the combination of ride comfort, noise, handling and fuel mileage.
  • tacoboytacoboy Member Posts: 25
    I know everybody loves talking V8, but can anyone tell me future of the V6 Mustang? I think Ford is working on a 3.5L engine due to come out in 2007. I'm wondering if that engine will replace the 4.0L for the 2007 model year. If it is I will hold off on my Mustang purchase, as I think the new 3.5L is expected to have around 250hp.

On another note, I'm really excited to see what the "Pony Package" does to the looks of the '06 Mustang V6!
    Believe you are correct about the 3.5L replacing the 4.0L. Only concern I would have is there's gonna be a huge demand for this new engine, as every darn car Ford makes is gonna get that new V-6 when it's available. There's going to be a huge demand for it, so it'll have to be phased in. Who knows when the Mustang will get it.
    That is the plan re: the 3.5L replacing the 4.0L, however that could change or it could be delayed based on availability.

As for waiting - even though it should have more peak hp the new 3.5L probably won't have as much low end torque, so don't expect any significant performance difference. The biggest difference will probably be in fuel mileage and refinement.

Not to mention the potential for problems with a brand new engine. The 4.0L is pretty much bulletproof. I wouldn't wait.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    From I've gathered on the Fusion thread from a Ford employee (white collar office type) the 07 Lincoln Aviator will be the first to get the Duratec35 then others in need will follow. Read Five Hundred and Fusion. Supposedly the Mustang is going to get it eventually but I wouldn't expect to see it in that application until MY08 or beyond. Based on info I've gathered so far anyway.

You have to figure that since the Duratec35 is putting out somewhere around 240-250 HP with no bells and whistles they're going to have to bump up the HP from the V8 to differentiate the two. Doing that 2 years after the new model introduction is going to tick a lot of '05 and '06 owners off. :mad:
    The V8 puts out about 320 hp (even though they only claim 300) so I don't think that's a problem.
    I know it's underrated at 300 but that's still what most shoppers see. You, I, and other enthusiasts know the real story. However, those who don't will most likely be upset if they paid X amount over sticker for their '05 or '06 GT with 300 HP only to have some "secretary" pay only $20k for 50 fewer horses a year or two later.

I personally don't think we'll see the Duratec35 in the Mustang until a mid-cycle refresh. Given Ford's new refresh strategy that will probably be somewhere around 2008-2010.

Just my two cents.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "I personally don't think we'll see the Duratec35 in the Mustang until a mid-cycle refresh. Given Ford's new refresh strategy that will probably be somewhere around 2008-2010."

I agree, but for a different reason. Ford has no need to offer any real improvements of this nature to a car which is already selling, and will continue to sell, as well as the Mustang. However, other cars in their lineup DO need real improvements to increase sales (Ford 500).

Put the new Duratec35 where sales need a boost. That won't be the Mustang for a few years.
    The only reason I could see them making the switch early is for fuel mileage and CAFE compliance. Otherwise I think it will be a few years, as stated.
    I agree, but for a different reason. Ford has no need to offer any real improvements of this nature to a car which is already selling, and will continue to sell, as well as the Mustang. However, other cars in their lineup DO need real improvements to increase sales (Ford 500).

That's actually exactly what I was getting at in a more round about way. As I stated before other vehicles which are more in need will be getting it first (I also forgot to include the Freestyle, Montego, Zephyr, and Milan in that post). The Mustang certainly does not need it right now or in the foreseeable future. The 5-speed ATX definitely helps at the pump and the possibility of a 6-speed ATX (partnered with GM) lessens the need for the 3.5 even more.

You can probably factor in the Explorer engine as well. I think it will still base as the 4.0L so something else will have to keep that factory going until it changes. Just a thought.
    The 6 speed transmission co-developed with GM is a FWD automatic, not a RWD manual.

Not applicable to the Mustang platform.
  • martin3martin3 Member Posts: 17
    Looks like 05-Mustang numbers have been going wild according to this article.

http://blueovalnews.com/2005/products/rozzi.mustangmadness01jn05.htm

Why does FORD not go for plant expansion or increase production some more? They did it back in 1964.5. why can't they do it again? Maybe they need Lee back to help?? :confuse:
  • sonicblucrisissonicblucrisis Member Posts: 52
    Didn't they already mark 2 production increases since intro? Ford's web site cites increases in production of 80,000 cars over 2004 numbers. I wonder how much the Mustang's popularity has exceeded Ford exec's expectations?
    Adding production is a lot more complicated than just adding another shift at the factory. I would rather they keep quality up rather than slap a few more "numbers" together.
    That being said, Ford, can you build mine now?? Sonic Blue please!
    The 6 speed transmission co-developed with GM is a FWD automatic, not a RWD manual.

I know it's not an MTX (and I didn't say that, did I?) but I thought it was going to be flexible enough to be used in FWD, AWD, and RWD applications. With slight modifications of course. Is that impossible?

This article hints at future versions near the bottom but I guess they have not been developed yet.
    Ford originally planned to make 150,000 '05 Mustangs.....a 10,000 unit increase over the '04 Mustang figures. With the demand so high, Ford cranked up the Flat Rock plant to produce somewhere around the 190,000 figure for '05 Mustangs (a whopping 50,000 unit increase over the '04s and a 40,000 unit increase over Ford's already aggressive production figure).

What's amazing is that the Mustang, by itself, has captured over 2.4% of the total car market in the U.S.

The Mustang shares the production plant with the Mazda 6. You're right about one thing, it's not an easy (nor cheap) endeavor to outfit another plant to make Mustangs. First, you have to coordinate all the suppliers (who are already strained) to make more parts for the Mustang. Then, you have to finc a suitable facility to build it, buy all the tools & dies to stamp out the parts, hire another workforce to build them, train the work force, make more engines, etc.....etc.....etc. It's not something you can do cheaply, nor quickly.

I agree that the Mustang has top notch build quality and I'd want to keep it that way more than I'd want to "slap them together" to increase production (even if you could increase production, which you can't).
    The question is whether the higher production volumes can be sustained more than a few months. If so then it makes sense to increase production. But I think the belief is this is a temporary spike that will settle down after a few months. What they should do is increase the ratio of GTs if possible since that's where the shortage is right now.

What we don't need is for production to be increased too much so that they have to start offering incentives to move them.
    Not sure where the MTX came from - sorry. I don't think you can just convert a FWD tranny to RWD - I think they're totally different animals. Ford already has a RWD 6 speed automatic tranny anyway - it's the ZF unit that's used by Jaguar and in the new Navigator. Only problem there is cost. The FWD ATX probably doesn't handle a lot of torque and is therefore much cheaper.
    While my dealer tells me that he's sold out of '06 Mustang GT allotment until well into next year, I don't know if that's representative of everywhere. I suspect that it is. If that continues (which I doubt it will), then I'd say Ford may keep production high through at least the middle of '06. I doubt they can sustain that production rate into the '07 MY, however.

Probably by '07, Ford will bring out, not only the Shelby, but hopefully something in the way of a Boss, Mach or Bullett model to sustain the success that they've already enjoyed.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    The RWD version in the Navigator, and in the 2006 Explorer/Mountaineer, is manufactured by Ford in Livonia under license from ZF.

Surprisingly, it has significantly fewer parts, weighs significantly less, is significantly smaller, and shifts much better.

It would be nice if they had the capacity to install it in all RWD vehicles. I suspect that the lower MPG vehicles are the priority.
    I think cost is the limiting factor on the ZF 6 speed although the price should come down as volume increases.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Allen,

I'm not sure the ratio of fixed vs. variable costs. I suspect that the license fee is a substantial CPU.
    Hey, FWIW, the Sonic Blue looks just awesome, IMO........ It's worth the wait. ;)
    is being replaced for the 2006 models with Vista Blue. Looks like the Vista Blue has more metallic flake but it's hard to tell from the pictures.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/06/index.htm
  • esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    akirby:

Thank you for the info and the pics. The Tungsten is exactly the color I wanted all along. The Satin Silver is nice, but I think it's a little light for my taste. I also love the 18" wheels. I am probably going to call my dealer and cancel my '05 order, and reorder an '06 GT. My '05 probably wasn't going to be built anyway, from what I hear from you guys. Even if it was, I haven't heard any kind of confirmation from my dealer yet, if it means getting the exact color I like and 18" wheel package I can wait a couple more months. Living in Texas gives me the luxury of driving this baby all year round, so it's not like driving in summer is my only option.
  • esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    I don't know what to do. I just talked to my salesguy and I received some news about my '05 GT order. I don't have a VIN yet, but my order is sitting in 7th position in the dealer's allotment. He is telling me the they are getting them in at about 2 orders a week which really cuts it close for my car to actually be completed as a MY '05. I asked him if they had received any information on the '06's yet and he said no. He is telling me that if I want to wait for a MY '06 that I don't have to come in and reorder it. Apparently, Ford notifies them when the order is about to get a VIN, at that time is when I can make final adjustments to my current order or push it back to a MY '06 order and make and adjustments I prefer. If this is true then I guess I will just wait until that time to make my decision. BTW, I'm leaning towards going ahead and waiting a couple more months and selecting a Tungsten Grey GT 5sp MTX with the MyColor interior and 18" wheels. Is he telling me the truth or what?
    If they've got 7 ahead of you, there's little hope it will be an '05. And, unless you've got a really diligent dealer, I wouldn't take his word that he'll reorder and '06 for you with no input from you.

I'd go to another dealer and order an '06. Dealer's are taking orders for them, now.
    Yeah, More metal flake, a couple shades lighter.
    But the sonic blue has that "color shifting" thing going on in varying light that I don't thing the Vista Blue will have. Matter of personal taste, but my moniker tells all!
    Deposit in, Priority 10, DORA Processed 5/27, delivery approximately 7/1
    GT Vert;
    Sonic Blue Clearcoat Metallic
    Leather Trim
    Medium Parchment
    Interior upgrade Package
    Front side Airbags
    Convertible Boot
    Anti theft

IN a word, WooHOO!, anybody want to go for a ride? Or am I being premature?
    Congrats.....ask your dealer what his allotment situation is. If he's got allotment and your at the top of that list (you should be with a priority of 10), you should be all set. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • chiefmacchiefmac Member Posts: 10
    Noted you have a Colgan Bra installed. I've been considering buying one for my GT but have not seen a picture of the product on a Mustang. Just wondered if you have your camera back yet?
    I ordered my 05' GT in Screaming Yellow about one month ago, the vehicle won't be in for about another two months. I was considering getting some aftermarket striping and came across a web site , www.spectrummarcom.com/mustang/stripepainter.html , they have various colors and combinmations of striping. One of the colors is Dark Highland Green !?!?! Has anyone seen this color before ? Is it available ?