Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Dark Highland Green was used exclusively by Ford on the 2001 Mustang "Bullitt" Special Edition. Ford has used DHG on trucks, but never yet on another car. I also have that stripepainter on my computer, and I've seen the DHG color in there. Neither the Ford site for Canada or the US lists DHG as a current color. To my knowledge it is not available from Ford at this time. As an owner of a DHG Bullitt myself, I hope they stick to their word and do not offer it on any cars.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    DHG should not be there at all. It's not offered now and won't be for MY06 either.
  • detailzdetailz Member Posts: 47
    More power to ya if you can get this beginning of July........I' ve had my order in since mid March and still don't have any info on my Mustang GT Coupe. :confuse:
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    If you guys weren't quite so picky, you'd be driving by now. GTs do hit the ground from time to time, you just have to grab them when they do and be just a tad flexible on some things. My niece ordered a black GT. While she was waiting for hers to come in, (and it was late, of course), another black GT turned up at a different dealership that wasn't exactly like she ordered, actually it was optioned up a little more than hers was, but she grabbed it anyway and she's been driving now for weeks, happy!
  • cigarmanbluecigarmanblue Member Posts: 31
    Did she pay over sticker price ?
    I actually have been somewhat picky as this would be the one and only time that I have specially ordered a car as I usually would buy cars off the lots. Nearing retirement, I just wanted to get my "muscle" car that I never had growing up.(And yes, it is a V8 with a std. shift) After getting this "sports" car that can fit two sets of golf clubs and a little luggage, we will probably be looking at the Crown Vic as our final charriot years from now
  • sonicblucrisissonicblucrisis Member Posts: 52
    nvbanker, you're absolutely right! Picky I am, and picky I can choose to be. this car is, for me, a pleasure vehicle, not a necessity, and I can afford to wait for excactly what I want. Also, you are right about an occasional GT showing up. one last week on my dealers lot, a cancelled order ; Mineral grey, Manual, Charcoal interior, and black vert top. Actually lasted on the lot for three days, I think My salesman called me and asked if I was interested, but I'm rolling the dice for that Sonic Blue Vert
  • sonicblucrisissonicblucrisis Member Posts: 52
    detailz, we're all entitled to at least one mid-life crisis car, eh? ;)
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    More than one, I hope...
    No, she didn't have to pay over sticker, and in fact, got an X-plan deal on it which she didn't have on the one she ordered.
    By "years from now", you probably won't be able to get a Crown Vic as they'll be out of production, but may be buying a Five Hundred or Avalon substitute.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Speaking of X-Plan, I have a few extra.
  • lmmorganlmmorgan Member Posts: 3
    Latest news from the front:

I checked in with my local guy (trusted, I've bought from him before) yesterday. 2005s are balanced out, as of sales meeting yesterday morning all dealers were being instructed to contact customers with '05s on order/unbuilt to inform them that their orders are canceled and to ask if they want to roll over into '06s. They're taking and holding orders for new '06s, first submission to manufacturing is July 1.

I ordered mine (GT Premium convertible). There are, at this dealership in central New Jersey, 16 canceled '05 customers and 9 new '06 customers in front of me. I was told to count on "three to six months" for delivery.

The only changes to the '06 - 18" wheel option and elimination of Sonic Blue for a similar but not exact color.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The V6 for 2006 now has an optional Pony Package.

Vista Blue replaces Sonic Blue.
    Tungsten replaces Mineral Grey (this was the color of the mustang, Shelby Cobra concept and Ford GT at the 2004 Detroit Auto Show).

18" wheels available for the GT.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I just wanted to let people know about the pony package available for 06 on V6 coupes and convertibles.

In short this package gives a unique exterior look with special grille. This grill has the fog lights of the GT with a chrome bar connecting them.

This car also gives you 17 inch wheels, largest ever on a V6, and the same suspension components as the GT including the rear anti-sway bar.

So for people that don't need 300 hp. but want a taunter ride than the secretary suspension on the stock v6 coupe this might be just the ticket.

Personally living in NJ I'd never get to enjoy 300 hp anyway

Mark
    Actually they're not the same as the GT foglights. They're smaller, with the chrome bars connecting to a "corral" surrounding the pony in the center.

The suspension is "GT-inspired" with a rear anti-sway bar and larger front anti-sway bar. Not necessarily identical to the GT. Plus 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS and Traction Control.
    Immorgan, I ordered my 05' about 5 weeks ago and was told it would take until Sept/Oct to arrive. I ordered from Downs Ford in Toms River, NJ. My salesman is out for a surgery so i cant get a straight answer on whether i would have to re-order the 06' but I dont believe its been built yet. What dealership did you speak w/ ? I hope its not another 6 months if I have to re-order.
    looks like my 05' wont be in before the 06' models are produced. Where can I find a picture of the 2 new colors????, i may change from the screaming yellow
    I don't think I can post a direct link but if you do a google search for "2006 mustang vista blue" you'll find it.

It looks like basically the same shade of blue but with more and/or lighter metallic flakes. I think it looks better - more sparkly for sure.
    I ordered my 05' about 5 weeks ago and was told it would take until Sept/Oct to arrive.

Being that JOB1 for MY06 begins on August 8th it seems odd that you won't be able to take delivery of your '05 until 1-2 months after that date. I would think AAI would want to have most, if not all, of the '05s off of their lots before the '06s begin filling them again.

Anyone else have any experience with orders carrying through a MY change?

I'd find someone else at your dealer who can help you out and see if the '05 is still a reality for you. Now's the time to get an '06 order in if your '05 is off the build list and want to see a new car in your driveway this year. :)
  • riverronriverron Member Posts: 26
    Been reading the forums now for several weeks.

I had a GT ordered from a dealer in San Diego, but just happened by another dealer, about 20 miles away, on Jan 12, about 6:30 pm, to see what they had, if anything. They had just, within 30 min, got a black GT in and I just happened to be the 1st one to ask about it. Drove it home 2 hrs later. Black, Dk Charcoal, shaker 500, 5 speed, upgraded wheels, etc. Five more people wanted it while I was signing papers.

Car was made Jan. 05, and the only problem I have had is the fuel shutting off while trying to fill the tank, but that only happens at a FEW stations. The front-end doesn't make noise, the C/D doesn't skip, the brakes don't squeak, the engine doesn't vibrate, the trans doesn't make any strange noises, But it does go like hell, handles like it was on rails, sounds like a 60's muscle car, rides like a dream, and gets 26 mpg on HARD runs between Arizona and California.

I'm 58 years old and I have driven Mustangs since my first in 1967, which was a used 66 Shelby GT-350. Since then I've driven many. This is without a doubt the finest of them all. I LOVE IT.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    riverron.....my experiences have been just like yours. Again, I think there are a lot of people coming from other types of cars (Accords, Camrys, Chevys, etc), drawn by the high style of the Mustang. When they drive it home, all of a sudden they realize this beast has a performance tuned exhaust, a heavy duty trans, a firm ride (but good handling), makes "different" noises than what they're used to and decide something must be wrong since their Grand Am didn't sound or drive like this.

All of a sudden, they start finding fault because they've never been in a car quite like the '05 Mustang.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • gtluvrgtluvr Member Posts: 10
    This is true. NO problems at all with my April Manufactured GT. He sounds and handles just like the monster he is suppose to be.
  • lmmorganlmmorgan Member Posts: 3
    cigarmanblue - I spoke to Freehold Ford. I also spoke to my cousin, who works at a dealership in FL who verified what Freehold Ford told me. If your order has yet to be serialized (i.e. if you don't have a VIN, a build date and a deliver date) then you're not getting an '05. If you roll into an '06 they will honor your price and put you in the proper top-of-list order. You should get your '06 in Sept./Oct., thusly. Call the dealership, get another guy on the phone and tell them you want to roll over.
    thanks, let you know how it works out.
    I just got back from my dealer (NJ). They have stopped taking orders for 05's and if anyone hasnt received their VIN # they will have to roll their order to an 06', it was just a matter of printing out a new form. I looked at changing my color from Screaming Yellow to Tungston, but after looking at the paint chip I really didnt like the tungsten. In the light their was a rainbow of colors mixed with the grey. I'm sure it will be popular though. Anyway, I'm #2 on the dealers list to get an 06', they're hoping early September.
    Not all dealers are built out for the 05 model year.

My dealer is expected some allocation again this week for 05

Mark
    I'm planning to buy in March of '07 so I hope they're right about the demand duration part.

USA Today
    Link doesn't work.
    as of this week, my dealership is built out for 05 Mustangs. :(

Mark
    Sorry about that. Try this.

USA Today
    Good article. As I've seen all along and they mention, demand will stay strong for 18 months. That means they'll be tough to get well into next year (GT models) even with Ford increasing production by ~40,000 units. They also mention the strong resale, which we all hoped for.

I mentioned in another thread that someone offered to buy mine used for MSRP with 2,000 miles on the odometer. Don't plan on selling, though.
    It also goes to show you that the current model selling price has far more to do with residual value on older cars than what the older cars sold for. If they drop the price of new models then the older models drop even further. And vice versa as we're seeing with the new mustang.
    I found that particularly interesting.....that the sales of the new Mustang actually positively affected the older models resale value. Gotta love it.
  • tmtgttmtgt Member Posts: 18
    As posted before, I ordered my '05 sonic gt conv 2/22. It was scheduled to be built 5/23, and delivered 6/20. I was told by my dealer and by ford cus.svr that it was built on that date, however 6/20 came and went. I was told by my dealer that there was a quality inspection delay and my car was pushed back (whatever that means..). I was told today by the dealer that I should get it next week, but they have no way to track it.
    Customer service only has on their computer that it should have been delivered last week and know nothing about a quality inspection or delay. It is now going on 6 months and I don't understand why they can't keep better track of where their vehicles are.
    Maybe I'm getting paranoid... :confuse:
    The common carrier who delivers the cars to the dealership has total control.

I've heard horror stories of carriers loading a truck then going on vacation...(they want to make sure they have work when they get back)

We did have a carrier destroy an 05 Mustang driving it off the trailer.

We also had a carrier get into an accident recently and destroy 4 CV Police Interceptors. This was all recent.

But i'm sure that only happens rarely.

Mark
  • caballocaballo Member Posts: 6
    Message to Graphicguy or anyother of the great posters on this site.

How are you getting pricing on the 06? I've tried placing orders with two dealers and they simply do not have pricing on the 06 yet. :confuse:
  • chevy4lifechevy4life Member Posts: 20
    I thought I had the flick on the 05's: The GT's have dual exhaust, a GT gas cap, and the big round driving lights in the grille, right? All the things the V6 does NOT have....

I am on vacation and saw a red Mustang with the big round lights in the grill, but no GT gas cap and no dual exhaust. Are the big lights available as an option for the V6, or did this guy do some modifiying?

On an unrelated note, it's strange how USA Today quotes Ford as telling their dealers to stop selling 05's , but at the same time, there is no 06 pricing, and Ford's own website has nothing to say about the 06's....
    I test drove a GT 5 speed back in the beginning of March and told the salesman that the dealership was lucky that I did not keep driving West with the dealer plates! Just awesome and yes, I am in my mid 50s and this will be "grand finale" for this type of thing. Have driven many "muscle and sports" cars but never driven a package like this.......Ford did NOT hit a home run with this entry...........they hit a GRAND SLAM!!! Still waiting as I ordered my GT coupe back in mid March....
    Hi all:

I don't believe '06 pricing is out yet. Probably won't be until after July 4th. Remember, they aren't even going to be built until August. I'd say dealers should have pricing after July 4th on '06s.

GT's don't have a GT gas cap....just a body colored cover. THEY DO HAVE dual exhausts.

What you probably saw was a V6 that some people are modifying to look like a GT.

The '06 V6s will have an option package (Pony package, I believe) with a slightly different grill with much smaller fog lamps in the grill.
    GT's don't have a GT gas cap....just a body colored cover.

I think he was referring to the GT medallion on the trunk that mimics the gas caps of days gone by. ;)
  • chevy4lifechevy4life Member Posts: 20
    Exactly. The GT has a gas cap that says GT on it.
    The last build day for '05 Mustangs was last Friday (6/24). Ford will start building '06s on August 8th.
  • esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    I don't know how official it is, but when I changed my order from an '05 GT to an '06 GT there were prices shown on the confirmation sheet. They had to be '06 prices because the 18" wheel option wasn't available last year and that price was posted. The dealer may not have a pricing sheet to show anyone, but if you order an '06, the computer should spit them out.
  • convertgalconvertgal Member Posts: 2
    Actually, this is not true. My car has a schedualed build date of July 18 and the gentleman I am working with through the dealership has confirmed my build date. I have also told him about people saying what you have about the last build dates for the 05 has passed and he reassured me that that is not true. So I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but I am going with what my guy is saying. Especially because he has been completely honest and up front with me the entire time through this process. Maybe it helps that he works for Ford in the fleet department, so I am not actually dealing with a SALES person.
    Getting my information straight from employees at the Flat Rock plant where Mustangs are built.

Hope things work out on your end.
    detailz,
    I know what you mean. I am the same age and feel the same way. I am not disappointed at ALL in this car. Ford did a great job and it is pure fun to drive and a head turner. Enjoy your car!!!!
  • gtforme2gtforme2 Member Posts: 23
    Hey all,

Isn't amazing the # of people that check this car out? Had it since 11th of June, Ordered it March 28th, sight unseen (hadn't seen a live GT prior), without even sitting in one. Thus far have a little over 500 flawless miles, and like the title says LOVIN IT!

The one blemish on quality is with the convert roof latch. The right one is very difficult to close and usally requires keeping the motor engaged while I secure that latch. Has anyone else had any similar experience?

Also, does anybody know if there's any way to get a engine dress up kit to make engine look like picture in this web site? I think it would dress up engine compartment like the IUP does inside the cabin.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0403mm_mustweb/

Also, has anyone cosidered or put on the Chrome Tips from the Mustang Accessories catalog? I'm curious what other people think of them and if they are something that easily install?
  • pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    I have seen a few people on the various Mustang boards install the chrome tips. They look very good on the car and most people mistake them for new mufflers. I believe that they have a clamp on system similar to how the mufflers attach to the pipes from the mid-pipe.

If you are happy with the stock sound and loudness, then get the chrome tips. If you want a more "throatier" exhaust note, change it. Just a word of warning if you do decide to change the axle-backs. They don't add hp (maybe 1-3 hp if you are lucky) so decide based on quality and sound. I have the Bassani x-pipe and muffler and it is very loud ;) Good luck in your quest gtforme2!
    I put the chrome tips on mine and they really class up the back. You need some torque to get them on. I actually took it to my Ford Dealer and they did it for me and did not charge anything.