Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Dodge Ram

Comments

• RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    Your right the allocations have nothing to do with being 5 star. They are based on the dealers sales of the year before I believe. But being honest about their allocations and keeping the customer updated on the customers order status should reflect on the 5 star. ... When and if my truck comes in I don't feel to enthused now. Some of the luster is gone. Maybe that will change if I ever see it. ... I have a web site and am thinking of creating another page. The Don Schmid customer site. I'll post stories from myself and other customers. Humm, at least makes me feel a little better thinking about it. ... Rich
  • markcordmarkcord Member Posts: 113
    I don't think the 4.10 is going to turn the low-revving 8.0 into a hot rod. Mine has 3.54s and 285s and I can assure you that it is no dog. I won't argue that the 4.10 will be a decided advantage if towing heavy loads often. But, if you don't tow often (like myself) I think the 3.54 is fine, especially considering the torque this thing makes. As a plus, I'm well under 2000 rpm at 70 mph. Continued best wishes, we're all pulling for you.
  • nascar6nascar6 Member Posts: 113
    Allocations not a factor in a 5 star rating? I'ts kind of linked a little isn't it? My dealer led me to believe that there will be some sort of questionare/survey to fill out to be sent to DC. In that survey I'm sure there will be something about customer satisfaction, which I'm sure all 5 stars have to excel in. Rich, how much customer satisfacton are you feeling right now?
  • jerryg5jerryg5 Member Posts: 29
    I need some help from somebody in the know. I ordered a 2001 Ram 2500, v10, auto,4x2,SB, 3.54 with the posi. I posted a couple of days ago asking opinions on the 3.54 VS the 4.10. Most of the replys indicated that the 4.10 was a better choice considering the larger tires on the 2001's.
    I called my dealer asking about the change. He told me the 4.10 is not available with the SB. Can anyone tell me if that is a fact? It doesn't sound right to me. Keep in mind that my truck is a 4x2 rather than a 4x4. I would appreciate any comments ASAP because mine is just about ready to be built and I have to act fast.
    Thanks
    Jerryg
  • comptimecomptime Member Posts: 19
    Rich I'm sorry to here your truck isn't in yet... Hang in there it's worth the wait. As far as the 4.10 not available for the sb lets just say there is alot of uneducated sales people out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mark what kind of milage are u getting with those bigger tires I also have the 3.5 rear with the 265's and so far 8.5 city and 12.5 on the Highway.(only 800 miles so far so I expect better as she gets broken in) I'm also turning close to 2000 at 70?
  • firemandavefiremandave Member Posts: 58
    I've enjoyed reading all of the posts on this site the past several weeks. It's been very helpful with my order. I just registered today so I could see if someone can help me out.
    I ordered my 2001 2500, SLT, LWB, QC, Cummins, Auto, 3.54, Tow, Camper, Forest Green on 2/17/00. I have 2 questions for anyone out there.
    1. Can the limited slip be ordered with 3.54 gears? Both my dealer and the Dodge 800 number say the 4.10 is required with the limited slip for 2001, but I keep seeing some people talk about how they have the limited slip with 3.54. What's the deal? I'd like the limited slip, but I'm not sure about the 4.10s.
    2. If the 4.10 is required with the limited slip, is it too low for the Cummins? I see a lot of opinions both ways. My truck will have the 265 tires. I don't plan on doing a lot of heavy towing for awhile, (my current camper is only 2000 lbs) but a heavier camper is in the plans down the road (which is why I'm buying this truck to begin with). I like the idea of the 4.10, but I wonder if the rpms will be too high when towing with Overdrive off.
    Any help will be appreciated. My truck still isn't scheduled, so I can still change my diff., but I can't seem to decide which ratio would be best. Does anyone think the limited slip isn't that important anyway?
    Thanks...Dave
  • tmigueltmiguel Member Posts: 33
    The reason I chose the 3.54 over the 4.1 rear end was that I wanted the extra efficiency you can get from the V-10 with a 5 sp manuel trans. Look at the torque potentional between 1000 and 3000 rpm. Compare the 10% loss between the auto and the manual. The five speed spread allows for much more selectivity in choosing torque or hp to meet your driving needs. Note that torque at some rpm is what enables you to accelerate/deaccelerate and hp is what you need to overcome drag. Hence in my case I want to maximize milage on thwe flat, and be choosy with respect to applying torque inhilly situations. I will be towing a 6300 # boat with a surge brake (not a distributive load hitch), and therefore I want maximum engine braking that goes with the manual. In Calif. the speed limit for boat trailers is 55 mph. Hopefully the above info is of some value to someone.

I think richink should get a lawyer to write a letter to the dealer. There appears to be a contract in the wind.
    I ordered my 2500 4x4 V-10 5 spd 3.54 with the limited slip. As far as I know my Ram on the railroad coming my way is equipped as ordered.
    Thanks for the info. Is your Ram a 2000 or a 2001? One thing I heard about this limited slip/4.10 requirement thing is it might be a change for 2001 models. By the way, I forgot to mention that mine is a 4x4 too.
    I basically ordered your same truck except for the auto, and got the limited slip 3.54. The first dealer I went to said I had to get the 4.10's with the posi. The dealer I purchased through said no such thing. Mine will be a 2001 truck. The way I understand it, if your going to get the LS Diff. and you order it with a V10 powerplant, then you have to get the 4.10's. I don't think it matters with the Cummins.
  • kbutcher1kbutcher1 Member Posts: 27
    I picked up my new 2001 Dodge Ram, 4X4, Sport, SLT+, Long bed with the Cummins and Auto. I had to fly to Kenai Alaska to pick it up (I live in Anchorage about 180 miles away). The truck looked fantistic. We drove away from the dealer and stoped for a cup coffee about 30 miles down the road. When we tried to start the truck at first it wouldn't start and when it did (15 minutes later) I put it into drive and it stalls. Same thing if you put it into Reverse. I finally got it going by giving it a little throttle and once going it was fine (in fact tons of power. 4:10 Diff too) I returned to the dealer and the mechanic told me that they can not do anything about it. DC has not sent them the "reflash card" for the 2001's. I just paid $36K for a truck that won't start reliably or stalls when you put it into gear. What's wrong with this picture???.

I am now told that it will be at least a week before DC can come up with a fix. Anyone have this problem with their 2001 Auto??? I am disgusted and you can be will be on the phone to DC tomorrow.

Keith
    Thanks for your input. I'd be interested to know what convinced you to go with the 3.54 over the 4.10 (I think you indicated you have the Cummins too).
    By the way, I read your profile - I used to own a '70 six pack GTX.
  • redram25redram25 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE READ THAT NEWER 2001'S WITH DIESEL AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS HAVE THE SAME HORSEPOWER AS THE MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS. HOW CAN I TELL. I JUST TODAY PICKED UP MY NEW RAM 3500, AUTO, DIESEL, SLT, ETC. AND IT RUNS GREAT! WONDERING WHAT HORSEPOWER IS.
    My understanding is that the Cummins is now rated as the same HP for either the auto or manual. One difference is the manual is rated higher for towing capacity than the automatic. Gear ratio also affects tow rating.
  • dodgeramdodgeram Member Posts: 202
    Anybody here that has a 2000 cummins diesel 4x4 auto, noticing when shifting into reverse after truck is warm, shifts kinda hard. Doesn't in fwd but when shifting in rev, it goes in with a thud, is this normal with the diesel, because my 94 4x4 dogdge 5.9l gas is almost seamless shifting gears.
    I decided on the 3.54 after I drove one. I had driven a 4.10 truck and to me, the Cummins seemed to be sceaming @ 70. I figure I'll get a little edge on the 4.10 boys in the m.p.g. area too. I believe the difference in r.p.m. between the two is less than 500 though. Also, most of the time the truck will be empty. I'm not buying this truck to accelerate quickly; as you know from what you used to have, I already have something to pin my rear end deep in the driver's seat.
    Go here to see info on the 6-speed. http://dodgeram.com/ram_frame.html
    Click on 'Design & Features' to see pictures of it.
    You're right, the Cummins has the same rating with either the automatic or the manual, however be advised that's the 5-speed manual (DDX I think) and not the 6-speed (DEE). The 6-speed is a much larger tranny, and therefore can take a heavier beating from the Cummins.
    You give me the Hemi Daytona, and I'll give you the Hemi Superbird---*beep, beep*

nascar6
  • indyff83indyff83 Member Posts: 13
    Hey I ordered almost the same truck as you did except mine is red with the sport package. I looked at it the same way that nascar6 did in hopefully saving some fuel mileage and also so the engine isn't screeming with my heavy pedal. I ordered mine with the 3.54 and the limited slip diff and it was built that way because it was in paint on Thurs and I have not heard any different. You may want to go deal with the dealers commercial truck sales manager and he may be able to give you better answers. If not I bought mine through the manager up here in Indy and he likes to deal with us firefighters! Good luck. Kevin
  • miked555miked555 Member Posts: 27
    I ordered mine with the anti- spin and 3.54's and that's the way it better come. 3500, cummins, 4X4, auto etc, ets,
    The 2001 Auto and the 5 speed are rated the same 460 tork the 6 speed is up to 505.
    As far as 3.54 or 410 you have to decide, if your towing heavey loads all the time and have alot of mountains,if so go with the 4.10's. I have a slide in and tow a couple of Harleys behind it 3 to 4 months out of the year so the 3.54s will be plenty and I'll get better fuel milage and better top. end,THAT'S IF IT COMES IN NEXT WEEK. you have to decide if you need the 4.10s.
    Thanks for all of the info, guys. I called the Dodge 800 number again today to try to get answers. This guy says the 3.54 should be available with the anti-spin. It's funny, though - whenever I've asked these people technical questions they leave me wondering if they really know what they're talking about. They give answers, but they don't seem to come across as very confident in their own answers - like they're maybe just agreeing with what I say without much actual experience on the topic. To be fair, I know they have a lot of vehicle models and details that they're supposed to know about.
    After much hashing over and many calculations, I'm 98% sure I'll stick with the 3.54. I'm going to contact my dealer on Monday to try to get the anti-spin added to my order. It should't be a problem, since it's not scheduled yet. I just have to get him to agree that the 4.10 isn't required to get the posi.
    Thanks again for all the info. I'll let you know what my dealer says.
    Although I ordered my Ram on Dec. 17, 1999, my Ram on the train is a 2001 per its VIN#. I,m not sure if that is good news or bad news.

I checked this morning and my Ram left San Antonio at 5:05 a.m. this morning. It is schedueled to arrive at Mira Loma (Los Angeles) at11:00 a.m. on thursday. Hopefully I will be driving it on Saturday.

I feel better and better in chosing the V-10 over the Cummins because:
    * I don't have to deal with $ and problems with
    an exhaust brake.
    * Torque range and magnitude conpetes well for
    towing a 6300# boat.
    * The cost of the diesel+ exhaust brake+ maintenance
    * A V-anything is ease to fix and a manual trans is as reliable as it gets
    * V-anythings have no problems starting up or being choosy about gas octaine.
    Sorry for the delay, got a little behind over the weekend. I haven't checked in about a week or so but last check was still low 9's around town and 13-15 at around 70. Haven't noticed much difference in either acceleration or highway mileage with the 285s. I suppose the highway mileage may be up slightly. Should turn 6K this week.

Tmiguel: Hope all goes well with delivery. After the train dropped of mine I still had to wait another week to get it. I guess if yours doesn't make it on the truck before another train pulls in it gets buried. Then you have to wait for all the new arrivals to get out of the way before they can get to yours. That drove me nuts!
  • comptimecomptime Member Posts: 19
    I have a 01 2500 quad 4X4 V10 with the 3.5 rear and Limited slip. Looks like I will move up to the bigger tires to fill in those wheel wells. Thanks Mark. About 6 more weeks and I will hook up the boat to put it in the water so I will let you all know how she tows.............
  • lalo99lalo99 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 Ram 2500 Quad SB V-10 4x4 SLT +
    on 1/29/00. Dealer says its on hold. But will not tell why. It's been almost 7 weeks & have no word.
    Can anyone tell me how I can get more information on the truck's status
    I talked to my dealer today. He insists that the 3.54 can't be ordered with the limited slip. He says if he orders the limited slip it will definitely come with 4.10's. He says he's ordered a lot of limited slips and they always come with 4.10's. He said he can order it, but it will be a 4.10. He says ordering a 3.54 limited slip isn't possible in his order book. He says it's been this way for years.
    I should say that my dealer (he's the head guy at the place) has always been great to deal with and up front. I've known him for 20 years - when we both lived in another city, and before he was selling cars. I know he believes what he's saying is accurate (after all, why wouldn't he want to sell me another option?).
    I keep wondering why there are so many conflicting stories about this. I've finally decided that I'm going to live without the limited slip rather than taking a risk that I'll unintentionally end up with 4.10's. I'm still getting a great truck that will serve my needs well. I was never sure the limited slip was that important to me anyway.
    I'm sure all you guys that have been telling me you have 3.54 limited slips will have a lot to say about this. I'm just at a dead end as far as I can see. Going to a different dealer isn't an option - I like my dealer and I'm getting a great deal.
    ps: 2 other dealers I shopped at told me the same thing about the limited slip requiring 4.10's too.
    Your truck configuration sounds alot like mine. I called customer service this morning and found I am still in "D" status for about the 4th week. "D" normally last a few days to a week before going "D1". Found I am on hold again for the V10 engine. Apparently once in "D" when all part are available if a hold occurs the order is not put back in "BG". Rep I talked to said because my order is so old he is going to make a few calls and see if he can pull some strings. That would be great, but I don't think anyone at Dodge is in charge or knows what is going on.
  • quadnutquadnut Member Posts: 5
    Well my 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 cummings,auto was ordered today, the dealer never told me that the torque ratings are now the same for the auto and the manual tranny, is that true?. I ordered the 3.54 axle with the sure grip anti-spin, it doesn't seem to be a problem, infact I was told that to get the 4.10 it was an option.
  • indyff83indyff83 Member Posts: 13
    I understand what you are saying about not wanting to move from a good dealer. I am sure that truck will serve you well. Nascar6 where are you at in your order status. I talked to them today and I am in KX status waiting on a ride north. The fuy on the line told me that they are only updated once a week so to give him a call back next Mon or Tues and he would be able to give me RR shipping info. Sorry about your Ford boy on Sun what happened? Kevin
    I could be wrong but that doesn't sound right to me. LSD is an option irregardless of ratio. It is not standard with the 3.54 (not mine anyway). BTW, throw "cummings" around too often and you will surely draw the ire of those loyal oil burners out there. I think the ETC diesel is now rated the same for AT and 5 spd. The ETH is not. But again, I could be wrong.
    My Ram left Thermal CA this morning heading for Mirloma (Los Angeles Area), ETA is 11;00 a.m. St Patricks day (Friday). Then shipped by truck some 30 miles.

I ordered my V-10 5 spd 4x4 3.54 rear WITH a limited slip.

Last week I phoned Dodge and asked them to tell me what my Corporation File # had to say about the status of my Ram. The Gal whose extension was given to me to insure rapid access to my file, told me the Ram was in BGL restriction. I raised hell with her and demanded the name of the Boss so that I could write about their screwed up operation.

I then phoned custermer survice with my VIN# I.D. and the told me my Ram was on the Train to Downey.
    This morning http://my.uprr.com/pub/pet (I entered my railroad car #) stated my Ram left Thermal CA this morning and ETA was Friday at 11:00 at Mirloma Ca.

From my experience it appears that your Dealer is the guy with influence, not you or customer assistance. That vehicle allocation has got to be obtained by your dealer by hook or by crook. So your dealer is the first to know what your VIN# will be, after which you are home free tracing its route home.
    indyff83,
    My order has been BG status for 2 weeks counting. The 1-800 reps I talk to say that their info is constantly updated. Who do you believe?!? They probably sit in their breakroom and laugh about people like us anyway. Jerks!:)
    Hey 3rd ain't so bad, and #18 got 2nd, but #20--ouch! You know Cummins is one of the big sponsors on the 6 car by the way.

Markcord,
    I'm wrong or quadnut is wrong, or maybe even we're both right, but I gather from what he wrote, he meant that the 4.10 is the option---surely. You're right, LS diff is most definitely an option. Unless, of course, it is standard equipment when you order that mysterious "cumminGs"

firemandave,
    Sounds to me you did well w/ the $. Your dealer is right, there is a shortage of the eth's. That's why my order is still BG status (even as of today). My truck needs the gap under the hood stuffed with a diesel, and there aren't anymore on the shelf. But the next shelf is full of 3.54 ratio LS differentials! ;)
    Now you're just tormenting me!
  • eddieo3eddieo3 Member Posts: 4
    I HAVE A 2001 IN MY DRIVEWAY WITH ETH,STOCK 3.54 WITH OPTION LIMITED SLIP.THEY DO MAKE IT THIS WAY.
  • ram4x4ram4x4 Member Posts: 24
    I finally ordered my truck on 3/1. It's a 1500 quad sb 4x4 with the 5.9l and auto. I ordered every option I could except for the leather interior and the off road package. When I called customer service on 3/8 they said it was at BX. Today they said it was D1 with a build date of 3/24. It's going to be built in Largo Alberta, Mexico and should be shipped by the end of the month (they said within three days of the build date but i'm not holding my breath) and they estimated the time enroute to northern Calif at 20 days so hopefully I'll have it by the middle or end of April.
  • quadnutquadnut Member Posts: 5
    If you go to www.webcar.com you can build you own truck, lsd is an option, so is the 4.10 r/e, it's a $43.00 option but I am looking for fuel economy aswell as pulling power so I think the 4.10's are not an option for me,get it?
    Are you sure you actually have the 3.54 inside? In other words, is it documented anywhere like on the sticker or have you checked the actual ratio? The reason I ask is that my dealer says even if he tries to order it that way it will come with the 4.10. I'm not doubting you, it's just that I think you're the first person I've heard from that actually has the truck in his driveway.
    Also, I wonder if it's possible there's a requirement difference between the manual and automatic. I ordered an automatic.
    I'm just grasping at straws at this point.
    I just went over to the Dodge website and configured my truck. They just added the 2001 year to the site. When I came to the 4.10 option, I didn't choose it. Farther down I checked off rear anti-spin to see what would happen. When I finished, it automatically kicked in the 4.10. It wouldn't let me choose the anti-spin without the 4.10. This is consistent with what my dealer says, so I wonder how you guys who say you have the 3.54 LS were able to get it.
  • rjdodgerjdodge Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 ram 3/4 ton with the 360 and 4.10. I read all the horror stories about shift problems and "surge", but have not felt or seen any with my truck. Mine is still very new, but so far I'm very pleased (and I was a 4 time chevy owner before this Dodge). What is the big concern with 4.10? Is it just a mileage thing? And how does it compare to 3.55? I do a lot of snowplowing and am very happy so far. Thanks for the advise.
  • j68j68 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Does anyone know if the Patriot Blue color can be special ordered for a Ram 1500/2500 sport model? I'm surprised that this isn't a regular choice because it's a really nice color.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Mostly my concern with the 4.10 is the rpms the diesel would be turning with overdrive off while towing. The diesel redlines at 3200. Fuel economy is a factor also. The manual trans. guys have more flexibilty with the 4.10. With the automatic, the 3.54 seems like the way to go for me. I don't have mountains in my area (WI) either.
    I tow my fifth wheel (super slide) at 65 and drive solo 72. I came up with the following figures for LT265 tires and automatic transmission. I also want extra capacity for a larger 5th wheel:
    4th 72 mph 1825 rpm
    3rd 65 mph 2400 rpm
    4th 65 mph 1680 rpm

4th 72 mph 2075 rpm
    3rd 65 mph 2785 rpm
    4th 65 mph 1890 rpm

Anybody varify my figures for the LT265? A friend of mine pulls a larger fifth wheel (double slide) with a cummins, auto and 4.10 in 4th with no transmission problems. Only shifts to 3rd when he hits hills. He has the LT245 tires.
    Your numbers look good to me. I might be a little paranoid in my thinking about towing with OD off a good portion of the time - but with good reason. I just replaced the transmission in my Grand Voyager in January - at only 89,000 miles! That $2+ grand would have really come in handy toward my Ram's cost!
    I consider the auto trans to be the weak link in the truck, so I plan on being careful. I really wanted an automatic for convenience, so that's why I ordered it. While WI doesn't have mountains, it is quite hilly in a lot of areas, so I figure I'll be towing in 3rd a lot of the time. Of course, I'll be in the mountains some too, when I go out of state.
    By the way, how's your truck coming along?
    WELL I CHECKED THE WINDOW STICKER NO SHOW
    CHECK ORDER LIST NO RATIO ? I HAVE A LIST OF EVERY
    PART IN MY TRUCK BUT THE IS IN MY TRUCK AT THE DEALERS GETTING A NEW 6 SPEED TRAN 5TH GEAR WENT
    BYBY.SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF OTHERS WITH SAME,WILL CHECK LIST AND POST WAITED 3 WEEKS FOR TRANS.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I also have a 99 1500 Quad 4x4 with the 3.54 limited slip (at least it says so on the sticker). My question is, how can i easily verify that this is the rear end ratio my truck has. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
    FOUND THE LIST YES THE AXLE RATIO IS LISTED AS A DMDP 3.55, DRLP DANA 80, WITH DSA ANTI-SPIN DIFFERENTIAL.
    Thanks for checking that out. It looks like you have conclusive proof that that the 3.54 anti-spin exists!
  • jerryg5jerryg5 Member Posts: 29
    I ordered my 2001 2500 QC, V10, SB with the 3.54 lsd. I later called him and wanted to change to the 4.1 lsd. He told me that the 4.1 lsd is not available with the short bed truck. Does that make sense?
    I have a V10 auto 4.10 lsd 2500 quad 4x4 sb on order
    V10 2500 quad cabs have been on hold for about 4 - 5 weeks at the Fenton plant. Anybody getting a different answer than this?
    I called Chrysler Customer Assistance today. I finally found a guy who was able to look into my question more in depth. He checked the sales order book codes and with his supervisor, and he was able to determine that there is a way to order the 3.54 LS. It's complicated because, as I understand it, the LS is packaged with the 4.10 as Dodge's recommendation, but there is a way to go in and order the 3.54 as an option of the package.
    This guy was very helpful. He even called my dealer to explain it to him. After that he called me back to tell me that my dealer was going to try to order it. If it's rejected that way, my dealer is supposed to call Chrysler back and they're going to get a supervisor involved who knows how to order it.
    It shouldn't be this hard, should it?
    All of this also hinges on what status my truck is in. Last I heard, it still wasn't scheduled, so it shouldn't be too late to make the change. Say tuned!
    the 4.10 is a real obsticle. I've been checking the Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri area today. Also web sites. Forget the V10. I don't think they exist anywhere. And the diesels are all 3.54. Even with the larger tires of SLT+. Even found myself backsliding and checking GM Buypower. Wish Dodge had something like that. You can even see a copy of the window sticker. Did find a diesel 4x4 2500 slt+ 4x4 black w/ sport package. Has everything. Don't know rear end ratio but only 4 hours away. Don't know if long or short bed. May call tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.