Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• tb1019tb1019 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks graphicguy, I appreciate your input.
  • frnkrzzofrnkrzzo Member Posts: 87
    i appologize for comming off a bit harsh. if they quoted 1.9, i can see why you're pissed. that interest rate is not possible on a mustang. then again, wiht your 800+ score, a 4.5 from a credit union is possible. it's a sellers market, brother. good luck in finding what you're looking for.
  • eagle41eagle41 Member Posts: 54
    Peace !!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Please take these issues to the Smart Shopper and/or Prices Paid & Buying Experience Forums, where you can talk with folks who are looking at or have recently bought Mustangs. This area is for talking about owner experiences, vehicle attributes and features, etc. Thanks.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• detailzdetailz Member Posts: 47
    I have had a Redfire GT on order since March and "rolled" it over to a Tungston 06 GT that the dealership says we should see in about 6 weeks....we'll see.
    Off the internet, I found this Tungston color that had a "two" silver stripe down the middle of the car and boy did it look SWEET! Is this offered by Ford as an option or is this type of thing an after market thing. Any idea the cost of something like this?
    Thanks.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    That's the 2004 detroit auto show car paint scheme (was used on the Ford GT, Mustang GT prototype and Shelby Cobra Concept).

I have the special edition autoart 1:18 scale model of that same car with that paint scheme and am planning to do the same thing when I get my mustang in another year or so.

I don't think the racing stripes are available from the factory but they may be a dealer option. If not, any paint shop can do them or you can get decals.
    Ironically, I use to do P/S materials on local race cars in the area about 25 years ago...........it really scares the heck out of me doing something like that with especially MY car............... we will see....... Thanks!
  • mojojojo24mojojojo24 Member Posts: 24
    How do the Shakers compare? Does the $1200 premium on the 1000 vs the 500 pay off in the long run?

I'm likely to stick to the 500, but the money's not the issue so much as I can afford it, but I also don't want to pay $1200 over 3-4 years unless the system's really that much of an improvement.

Thanks in advance...
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Shaker 1000 will obviously have more bass than the 500 because of the bigger subwoofer in the trunk. It also takes up a good portion of room in the trunk. That sub in the trunk also has it's own amplifier.

To me, the 500 sounds great for a factory system. Plus, $1,200 is a lot of money for a sub and extra amp.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Can anyone find how to open the trunk without the remote on the 05 mustang???

You can also open the trunk with your key. :surprise:
    There is no button, although some people have added one by splicing into the large pink wire with the orange stripe behind the kick panel on the passenger side and adding a momentary contact switch. You can mount it in the glovebox or anywhere else.
  • deytreyderdeytreyder Member Posts: 4
    I ordered my 05 mineral gray gt in March and the dealer got back to me in early June that the car could not be built. Opted for an 06 black, spoiler delete with 18 in polished wheels, automatic. He said I'm at the top of the list-----29.5 k out the door.
    Why not Tungsten?
  • inajoonginajoong Member Posts: 46
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking about buying a mustang soon.(either the GT or the V6 convertable, not decided yet)

Anyways, how did you guys break in the engines, and how did it turn out?

I've so far only done the soft break-ins with my previous cars, but i hear a lot about driving it really hard the first 20 miles...

What did you guys do?
    The only thing you have to do is vary the engine RPM periodically for the first 1000 miles or so. That means don't leave it on cruise control for an hour at the same speed. Speed up, slow down or downshift. You don't have to keep it under a certain RPM or anything like that and there is no special break-in oil. It's all in the owner's manual.
  • modelamodela Member Posts: 5
    Took delivery 24 hrs ago. Ordered the car in January without a premium. Smooth Smooth Smooth. Drove a 65 ( 6 cyl), 67( 6 cyl), and 69( 8 cyl) in my youth. Haven't had an interest in any Mustang for 25 years, but I had to have this one. I tracked the build and delivery dates with Ford and had good luck everytime I called.

I was concerned that the dealer would take the car and sell it with a $3,000 premium to the next guy that walked in since my deal was at sticker price.
    This is a great sounding performance car. Everything works fine--but what a cheap antenna set up ( fiixed height on fender). The 500 Shaker stereo is adequate. The fit is good. The engine is heavenly and just cruises at 2000 RPM on the parkway. I love the car and am happy I placed the order. I presume that prices will go up and that this will hold value for a long time. The yellow body is just right--I don't feel that it is too flashy for a 53 yr old lawyer.
  • splishhh97splishhh97 Member Posts: 1
    I work for a Ford dealer...call me I have a Redfire GT coming in (703) 921-3800..my name is Kelly..I run the internet department.
    Been getting the run around for about the same time for my Redfire GT....Opted for a Tungsten Met. with 18" polished wheels - 5 speed. Said that I should see this sometime in August. Posted an earlier listing wondering if Ford can stripe (silver 2 bar down the middle) these GTs' or is this something off market???
    And I already told you it was aftermarket. Your dealer may have a connection that can do it or their bodyshop may do it inhouse but it's not a Ford option. You can get them painted but most are doing vinyl for around $450.
  • sonicblucrisissonicblucrisis Member Posts: 52
    My '05 brochure had stripes in Silver or Black are (were) an option, and my dealer told me that they could be dealer installed. I lost interest at the time so I didn't follow up further. If I decide to do stripes, however, they'll be painted on
    Wait till next yaer this time and you will get the Mustang under MSRP
    1) I'll take that bet
    2) IF my stang has 66% of it's value in 6 years, I'll be ecstatic
    3) Having the car now has a value. It's called "schweet!"

A little math. Lets say you bought an '05 for MSRP, about 28K
    The '07's come out with a price increase (about $500 just guessing) and the dealers discount a couple grand. Heck, make it 3K
    So waiting a year , year and a half saves ya $2500, right?
    Well, you waited a year and saved 2.5 large, meanwhile I am having the time of my life for ......let's see...... 2500 divided by 18 months.....carry the two.....
    Well, what do you know, ALl that fun I had for about $140 per month. Hell, I know people who pay more than that for cable!
    And that's assuming that you are correct in your assumptions ;)
    As was mentioned, the manual states not to drive the car either fast or slow for extended periods of time during the first 500 miles....no hard braking for the first 200 miles. Manufacturing techniques have advanced to the point that I wouldn't be afraid to just drive like you normally do as soon as you drive it off the dealer's lot. I know of people who took their new Mustang immediately to the track with no regard to break-in. They've suffered no ill effects so far. But, to be on the safe side, I drove mine under 3K RPM for the first 250 miles, under 4K RPM for the first 500 miles. Hit some brief highway runs after 500 miles. Hit a few redlines after 750 miles. After 1,000 miles, it was "anything goes". Never used a drop of oil during break-in, although I did change the oil at 1K miles.

modela.....congrats on getting your 'Stang. Somehow, a lawyer having a yellow Mustang seems fitting..... ;) (just a petty attempt at humor).

detailz....as akirby and sonic pointed out, stripes would be applied at the dealership. They don't come from the factory striped. I would agree with sonic that I'd rather go to a good "body shop" and have them painted on rather than let the dealership have some "cracker jack" striper do it (that probably agreed to do it cheaply to begin with). Those polished 18' wheels on the '06s are currently on "hold". If you really want them, you're going to have to wait awhile for your car.

sonic is right. There's not much to worry about regarding resale of the GTs. Orders for '06s are very strong. My dealer has already sold out of his first 4-5 months of allotment of '06s....all sold at MSRP. I already mentioned, I had two offers for mine....both at the MSRP sticker. First one from a private buyer (or so he said) that offered me MSRP after I had my Mustang 2 months and with 2K miles. The 2nd offer was for MSRP from a Toyota dealer. That was last month when I had 4K miles on the clock.

Since '06 orders are as strong, or stronger than the '05s, I'm not worried about resale at all. When/if I do decide to sell (maybe for the 4.0 sec 0-60, 12.5 sec 1/4, Shelby GT 500), mine should do quite well, if I trade. I know I'll do well with it if I sell it as a private owner given the demand.
    I've seen a lot of the vinyl stripes on another forum and they all look great. There are a lot of professional graphics companies doing these now so I think the quality is very high (if you go to one of these places). It takes them anywhere from 5-10 hours to do these. They can do entire car wraps. They've been doing this for race car graphics for quite some time. And they can be removed at a later date with (supposedly) no paint problems.

I'd prefer paint also but I think the new vinyl stuff is a viable option.
    akirby....I haven't had a car "striped" in over a dozen years, but my experience with the vinyl ones was never good. After a period of time, the edges of the stripes would begin to curl. Now, they may be better today, but that's the reason I would go with only painted stripes. Plus, I think painted stripes allow more color lattitude and look better.

That's just my humble opinion, though.
    Understood, but I think these are an entirely different product than what was available even a few years ago. This is made by 3M and backed by a warranty. I've seen them wrap an entire car in this stuff. I'm sure the cheaper stuff is still available but I'm talking about having it done professionally. I'd like to see one in person before I decided to do it but the people who have had it done seem to like it.
    Still waiting for my 06 GT and was wondering how you were able to track it through Ford as I can't really get many answers through the dealer. Any help would be appreciated!

PS: I'm a 54 yr old mgr and feel like you do!
    Thanks for the info.....any idea what the problem is with the 18" wheels...just what I need is yet another delay!
  • deytreyderdeytreyder Member Posts: 4
    I am selling my old black chevy that I've had for 30 years. I also saw a black 6 and I liked the the look of the front end with black grill black buckets in the headlights and the black mirrors blended in. The body seams also blended well.
    detailz.....lifted from another Mustang site regarding tracking your car....

you will need to know this to call ford an check on the car.

1. Your dealer code (the dealer number)

2. Your order number given to you by the dealer

3. Your body style (t80 for v6 t82 for v8)

4. The year of you car (eg 2005)

Once you know all that give them a ring at this number 1-800-962-3746
    This is the VOPC number and its for dealers only.

As a side note, you'll need accurate information from your VOC to get tracking info. From my personal experience, I never had much luck finding out much from the above number. It kept telling me my car was CU (clean order but unscheduled for build)....even after my dealer gave me my VIN#.

Give it a shot, though.
    I have no clue what the issue is with the 18" wheels. I can only guess that since they are similar to the ones shown on the Mustang show car when it was hitting the show circuit, that they are very popular and may be in short supply for a while.

I do know they are holding up orders.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Right now there is a TBD on build date for option 64W, 18" Prem Alum Whls.

Ordering this option will delay your build date.

Consider the option 64E, 18 inch Polished Alum Whls.

This appears to be the only commodities limitation in effect right now for 06 Mustang.

Mark
    For no other reason than I wanted to.......I decided to take a little "cruise" last night for about 50 miles of backroad driving.

Having a blast and all of a sudden "MY COLOR" dash lights start flashing all red when I had them set to "blue". Look down at the computer readout and my "miles to empty" reads 48 miles. Now, that's a feature I didn't read about in the manual......"low fuel" makes the dash flash red..........

Filled it up at the next station and dash lights go back to blue.
    I have read that the 64W option will be offered at a later date....the dealer is guessing early spring of next year. I had ordered the 64E anyway as I think the polished Aluminum wheels would look better with the Tungston metallic anyway.

Might not even need the silver stripe as discussed previously............
  • mojojojo24mojojojo24 Member Posts: 24
    My understanding is that these were always marked as late availability in the '06 order guide.

link title
    I've noticed that the new 06 Tungsten color has been referred to either Tungsten Silver or Tungsten Gray. Anyone know which is correct and where on the web I could find the actual colors? I saw a picture of a die cast model with Tungsten and it looked like "Silver Metalflake" which really looked great.
  • 05gt05gt Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. i'm new to the board,i went to order a '05 g.t. today,but the dealer informed me that i can only order a '06 model is this true??I also heard a rumor the '06 g.t.'s were going to come with the supercharger is this true??.What i;m trying to locate is a '05 g.t. 5-speed, torch red or black,with the dark charcoal interior,and bullit wheels.Any leads??..... Thanks in advance.....
    It's either a dark silver or light gray - take your pick. The color on the model (if it's the 04 Detroit Auto Show Mustang GT w/lighter silver racing stripes) is accurate. The dealer should have samples already or very soon.
    Yes, the 05 GT's are sold out. If you're ordering it has to be a 06.
    No, there is no change in engines for 06. The supercharged 5.4L will debut next year as a 07 model (Shelby GT500).

All mustangs have 5 speeds including the automatics. I assume you meant manual.

Best bet is to order the 06 now and wait. Make sure your dealer puts you at priority 10 and expect to pay MSRP.
  • tmtgttmtgt Member Posts: 18
    Just left my dealer.. the manager talked to someone at the plant.. still 375 '05 mustangs sitting out there with a problem they are working on...mine of course, is one of them.
    they are being shipped as they are fixed. Mine was built 5/23 and is 5 weeks overdue, not to mention it was ordered in Feb. There were 600 held up 2 weeks ago, so I guess they are making progress..assuming this is all true...I don't believe much of anything anymore until my car is in front of my face...
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    I expect to get my new 05 vert on thursday or friday. I know that sometimes the top can be finicky and am thinking about extending the warranty to get some peace of mind. I have never bought one before. Has anyone here bought one and did dealer discount. I think you have a year to sign up, so i don't plan on getting at delivery unless they show me a good deal on it and i just get it over with. I am planning on writing a check for the car, so it might be easier to do all in one fell swoop.

Any thoughts? Experiences?
    Thanks
    I don't advocate extended warranties, especially if you're paying cash. But if you're going to buy one make sure it's a Ford ESP. You can get them from any Ford dealer, not just the one that sold you the car, so shop around. Even some non dealers sell them. And you can buy it anytime before your factory warranty runs out so you have 3 yrs/36K miles to decide.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    These are great questions that are also likely to generate valuable feedback if you post them in the following discussions:

Ford Mustang: Prices Paid & Buying Experience
    Smart Shopper Forum

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    i looked there first, didnt see anything recent and this thread seems to get alot more people and feedback. I don't think the prices paid thread will get too much traffic until the dealers start dealing. Right now they are pre-sold for approx 3-4 months on the GT. They have no reason to deal. If anyone gets one they know someone. I paid sticker and don't feel hosed.

By the way my esp warranty was about 1230 to make it 6/75.
    I also have a place people can get updates if they like on production from a ford employee. Edmunds used to restrict naming any other sites but i think there is a way to send me a message on here, I will forward it to you. last time i looked (about an hour ago, lol) this one thread on the forum has over 57,000 views and adding several hundred a day!!!

I am probably going to get the warranty this time, but will wait. I don;t think they discounted it any when talking to me today, but they did make sure to write the quotes in my file and mentioned "their cost". I will probably add it later just for piece of mind. One or two failures can easily be 1200 bucks.
    Motor Week just named the Mustang the best coupe in America!

On a side note, I took my GT to the dealer yesterday to have my radar detector "hard wired" (dealer owed me a favor since I sent two "buyers" to him). SM let me drive his V6 'vert for a couple of hours until mine was finished. This is the first time I've driven the V6 (too hot in OH for the top to be down).

It's a nice piece. Very tight and solid. The V6 has a lot of pep. Automatic shifted smoothly yet firmly.....

Very nice!!!!!
  • modelamodela Member Posts: 5
    I requested that the dealer send me the "New Order" sheet which is, I believe, the document that the dealer sends to Ford to actually order the car. It has a partial VIN, the order #, the body type, the dealer code, and a description of the car you ordered. If the dealer doesn't have this, they may not have ordered the car.

The dealer should want to give this to you since you will be calling Ford for updates, not the dealer. I called 1-800-392-3673 and choose the option which was "questions about a Ford vehicle" option #4. I asked them to provide information about the build date of the vehicle. I called avary 2-3 weeks.

It seemed that everytime I called they made a record of the inquiry.
  • kendux1kendux1 Member Posts: 3
    I plan to rent a convertible while on vacation- my choices are the Mustang or the Sebring, Which has the largest trunk and passenger capacity? Kendux
  • jackinokjackinok Member Posts: 4
    I've seen alot of 05 (over 100) on ebay. Most going at MSRP or a little under that. There are a few close to what you are looking for. I have found a couple that are almost exactly what I want. Instead of a shaker 1000 they have a 500 or something like that. I can live with that if I can have it in 5 days!!!! Good luck.
    GraphicGuy,

I'm dissapointed. You shoulda gone topless, even at 98 degrees it's a thrill! Sweaty, but a thrill!
    Way to go, Motor Week :shades: :shades: :shades:
    Kendux,
    The Sebring wins all around for passenger and trunk space, especially if you have more than one passenger. However, if two are going, you can't beat the Mustang for fun and a lot of head turning, and there is plenty of room for a few items in the back seat. Have a great vacation either way
    I must be missing something!!! I have been in a purchasing position for over 30+ years in the printing industry............so why on earth are people expecting MSRP, rebates, ANTHING extra; on new Mustangs; whether now or many years to come...still don't get it! .......we are in a sellers market and not in a buyers market!...........