Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    You just need to adjust the seatback angle. It took me forever to find a comfortable seating position in my GT. You can't have the seat too close to straight up. It definitely takes some getting used to, but I've gotten the hang of it. Only took me about 9 months! :P
  • jimmira76jimmira76 Member Posts: 19
    Interesting take pirate. I agree on your take of a hot red stang & the silver one. I actually think that both silver & the legend lime color look better in person than in pics in a magazine. They both can seem a little plain until you see how the color holds up in person. The other color choice I was looking at was the new Tungsten gray. I think that is a pretty cool color & used to own an 03 mustang convertible in shadow gray which is pretty close to the same shade. I almost chose went with that but in the end opted for a black convertible with pony package. Yes, I agree that black gets dirty & dulls easier & faster but to me it still has classic appeal.
    I have to disagree with you on the pony package. I don't think it clutters the grill at all. In fact, I think the v6 mustang without it looks pretty plain & unimpressive. The pony package adds that classic '65 GT look. The black grill doesn't stand out but all of the chrome accents like the fog lights, the corral, etc do & add to the appeal of the stang.
    Just my 2 cents...
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I just want to say that discounts are available on Mustang GTs. Shop around....

and definately VISTA BLUE VISTA BLUE VISTA BLUE

Mark
  • 66plus0666plus06 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered a 06 GT convertible on 8/27/05 and was told it would arrive in March/April. I got a call October 17th, that it had arrived. Had to scrap up the money, and push my wife's car out of the garage.
  • nogtyetnogtyet Member Posts: 11
    Looks like you'll get your kicks early, 66. Do you live in FL or other sunbelt state? I live in PA, ordered a 5-sp GT Prem coupe in late June, and still don't have it thanks to Ford's allocation idiocy.
  • 66plus0666plus06 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Conneticut, so limited fun this winter. I have a storage issue this year, so both convertibles are inside and my drivers are outside. I usually drive the 66 three hours north into upstate New York, my family has extra bays, but they are selling the property.

Can't believe you don't have your GT something not right??? The dealership I bought mine @ had a nice looking white GT, and 5 or 6 assorted regular,or ponies
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    jimmira, agree, the lime is the last color I would have thought of, but I've seen a couple out in the real world and they looked a lot better than I would have ever imagined.

Sat in the back seat of a V6 (rental) for a long trip, and even with the front seat in front of me pulled all the way up, seat back tilted forward, it was tolerable but not much more. I'm not tall, nor short, but couldn't sit straight up without hitting my head on the window.

Felt the solid axle right up my spine. Ride was bumpy, shaky, noticably different from what it would have been had the car had independent rear suspension.

Also the interior was dour and dark, "like an eel's esophogus," as one reviewer complained, with tacky plastic everywhere.

The car is underpowered, as was evident in passing on a two-lane country blacktop.

The V6 and GT Premium are two different animals, entirely. With the V6 you get only the exterior good looks, the outer shell, and none of the performance or interior rugged good looks.
  • ohiocarguyohiocarguy Member Posts: 28
    So many of us are waiting for Mustang GT's to appear at our local dealership, and here we learn that Mustang sales fell from 12,800 in November '04 to 11,000 in November '05? That's a 14% decrease on what is supposed to be such a hot car, not to mention last years sales may have been hindered by the production ramp-up which was to have been taking place.

What gives? I'm thinking a less-than-ideal production mix (too many convertibles and V6's)........
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Have any of you noticed, for lack of better words, wrinkles develop in the leather of your Mustang? For me it has only been on the driver's side piece that supports the thighs or legs, in other words the lowest part of the seat. I have tried cleaning and treating the leather with conditioner but does not seems to help. Does not look as if the leather is about to crack but it being black the lines seem to stand out noticeably. Any ideas? Do any of you notice the same thing?

Thanks,
    Daniel
  • detailzdetailz Member Posts: 47
    Sorry to hear about the long waits......seems as if Ford produces the GTs' as a one to three basis for whatever reason. I did want to chime in here and say if you can possibly wait for your GT, it is well worth the expectations ALL the way around (waited for 6 months and went from the 05 Redfire to the Tungsten 06)...just an awesome car!. Have noticed that there seems to be an abundance of 05 Rousch (GT) Mustangs at other dealerships in the Roch. NY area where we live. Still thinking that Rousch bought up many of these GTs......added some spoilers and air dams....and bumped up the price by 8 grand or so......very sad to do for the run of the mill buyers like the rest of us.
    Hope you can stick it out.... ;)
  • spdwy33spdwy33 Member Posts: 21
    Many thanks!

I was really afraid that the seats would be a 'deal breaker'! Nice to know that we do have a chance to be comfortable!

Thanks again!
  • rmackowskyrmackowsky Member Posts: 19
    I'm about to buy a V6 with Pony Package. I'm not, however, crazy about the Pony Package grille, so I was hoping to replace it, preferably with the GT grille. I understand the GT grill is slightly larger then the V6, so it is not a simple swap out. Has anyone found a good way to replace the grille without having to modify the bumper cover or fender?
  • straystray Member Posts: 11
    When I first saw the Pony Pkg I liked the looks of the grille. The more I look at the brochure and pictures, while waiting for my V6 w/Pony Pkg to arrive, I tend to agree. I may want to change the look of the grille also.

I do believe the Pony Pkg is a very good deal. For only $1195 you get ABS, traction control, sport suspension, bigger wheels, and rear spoiler.
    I'm wondering if the limited-slip differential will be available on the V6. From what I've seen it is only available on the GT.
    Living in an area with hard winters the limited-slip differential would be benefitial in getting around in the snow.

Does anyone know if the limited-slip differential is or will be available for the V6?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I think the idea is that the traction-control added to the Pony Package should provide the benefits of a traditional limited-slip differential.
    My dealer put a GT grill with fog lights in a v6. cost was over $600.

Seeing the pony package in person, I like it. but thats my opinion.

It is kind of a retro flavor.

Rear seats is a generous name for a package self. hehe

Mark
    I was wondering about that. But with the limited-slip the drive train turns both rear wheels, I believe; thus providing better traction. When the first wheel spins the second wheel takes hold for better traction.

With traction-control isn't it more like single wheel drive?
    When it begins to spin the system just prevents the single wheel from spinning and does not active the drive to the other wheel.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It's very similar. When the TC engages the brake on the spinning wheel the effect is that torque is transferred to the other wheel. The difference is that with a LSD the one spinning wheel continues to spin. TC will also cut engine power if necessary to reduce wheelspin. Either will get you out of a situation where one rear wheel is spinning freely.
    ohiocarguy, I would attribute decreased sales in part to the jump in gas prices. The V8 sucks up gas like a sponge. The V6's, on the other hand, are popping up all over the place.

As to availabilty of the GT Premium, it seems to have gone down even further. A local dealer puts every GT he gets out in front of his dealership. Today was the first time I saw one in over a month.

I, too, have seen a dealer in southern Calif. with a bunch of GT Premium Rousch's, sitting on the lot, collecting dust, as well they should: all they offer is a bunch of tasteless cosmetic add-ons that make the car look like a cheap hip-hop-daddy crack-dealer hotrod, no real improvement in performance or power. Also, Rousch takes the bottom grill off, exposing the radiator directly to the outside, not more than a foot off the road. Duh? How long before a rock flies up from the road to put a hole in the radiator?
    I guess I couldn't have said it better myself about the "Rousch" version of the GT.......cheap, chincy looking cars that would appear in not the best of neighborhoods.
    ...IMO...the color "lime" falls into the same catagory...sorry to anyone out there with that color and air brush painting to boot!.......awfull!
  • yannickyannick Member Posts: 17
    "appear in not the best neighborhoods"

hmmm....

how do you define that, when the cars cost 30K? I dont want to get started on a non-mustang issue, but watch the racism, please.
    Don't forget that those numbers include the previous generation Mustang, so the numbers for last year are a bit inflated.
    Did not mean to bring these type of " political issues" into our conversations here...however, certainally many other vehicles that are "much" more valued vehicles than these cars that we are discussing here, could be applied?
  • nowgfstcatnowgfstcat Member Posts: 19
    Has anybody seen any pic's of the new Charcoal Aluminum Instrument Panel with ribbed pattern that is now available (option for the IUP)? I've only seen pic's of the Satin dash. If somebody could help me out that would be great.

I'll be ordering my car either Wed or Friday of this week.

Thanks
    Look for some interior pictures of the Shelby GT500. It has that trim.
  • nowgfstcatnowgfstcat Member Posts: 19
    Is that the same option package? If so, Great! I just got off the phone with Ford Corp. and they basically said your SOL they don't have a photo of the option and that I'd have to order it without seeing what it looked like. They guy said, it should be darker than the Satin though. DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I was hoping somebody had one or knew of a photo of it somewhere on the net.

I found this on the new Shelby "For visual contrast, the GT500 features satin-aluminum finished trim (rather than traditional chrome) and new "SVT Red" leather seat inserts and door-trim panels provide a marked contrast to the rest of the leather-trimmed cabin, creating a very special driving environment.
    " So I don't think it's the same as the 67D (Charcoal option) :cry:
    Here's a picture of the Shelby GT500 interior - I bet it's very similar if not exact.

That picture makes me want to go for a drive.
  • spdwy33spdwy33 Member Posts: 21
    Ford Motor Company in general, and local 'Blue Oval' dealers in specific just shot themselves in the foot - big time!

Thought we wanted the Mustang GT - wanted it a whole lot! But the dealers here think the car is worth $4,000 more than sticker price - no discounting, take it or leave it ... just pay four grand more as the price to drive such a great car!

Yes, I agree that it is a great car. And I really had no reason to look at the Charger or the GTO. But $4,000 is a lot of money!

Has anyone driven the GTO? Butt ugly! But handles really well and goes like a rocket!

And the Charger gives all sorts of 'creature comforts', Hemi engine and discounted pricing!

Ford - you just lost the 'better idea' race!
    If they're able to sell all the GTs they can order at $4K over invoice I don't see how they're shooting themselves in the foot. Besides, it's not Ford's fault - they can't control the dealer pricing. Blame the consumers who are either too stupid or too impatient to wait for a better deal.
  • vppreachervppreacher Member Posts: 72
    I got the same "markup" runaround from a salesman in Jax, Fl. I said there was no way I was going to pay 3-5 k over sticker for a car I was ordering and waiting 8-12 weeks on. As I was leaving the dealership, the sales manager noticed I was leaving quickly. I told him the price his salesman quoted was a non-starter, I had done months of homework, and even though the GTs were uber-popular, I was not there so they could try to take advantage of me. He sat me down and we actually agreed on a price several thousand below MSRP. That was back in June.

I suggest you just take your business elsewhere. It's definitely a hit on that salesmen and that dealership, but it in no way reflects on Ford as a whole. That's capitalism; people will try to get the highest price they can.

IMO as for the Charger and GTO, the Charger and Goat are very nice cars, but they have none of the appeal the Mustang does. You have to shell out BIG money (10-15k more) to get a SRT-8 Charger that still is well behind the Mustang GT in handling and performance (even with the much vaunted Hemi)....and has none of the looks and styling. The Goat has marginally better acceleration, nicer interior, and bigger backseats, but the Mustang wins the handling, styling, and trunk war. The 6k I saved by choosing the Mustang GT is going into Vortech, Eibach, and some MGW interior enhancements.

In the end, for the same price as a Goat and 10k less than the Charger, I'm creating a unique Mustang that will be able to stick with much more expensive Sport Cars.
  • rav4manrav4man Member Posts: 21
    Dear footshot,
    If you can just wait awhile, every Ford lot will
    have 2 or 3 mustangs just like you want, and that same
    salesperson will be standing on the hot asphalt with no
    buyers. Then you steal one. Of course you would not be
    the first Mustang on the block. Remember the PT Cruiser
    selling for premiums. Now lots are full of them, sitting.
    Already I am seeing Mustang V-6's lined up on retail lots.
    Ford is seeing they can hardy sell them, eventually
    production will exceed consumption.
    So...what is the big rush here? Since you are price
    concerned, how will you feel after you buy in, then
    price drops like a rock? p.s. get the Mustang.
    Babe magnet #1. Toyota Solara ? boring.
    Many dealers have a few examples in stock.

Many dealers are willing to make deals to sell cars.

Shop around.

Mark
    Anyone looking for a GT has two days left (including today) to get a killer year end deal. It's the end of the tax year and dealers are trying to liquidate inventory like crazy! One of the local Chevy dealers is running commercials advertising $6.5K off brand new C6 Corvettes! That's NEVER happened before! Then again, GM is trying to come out of junk bond status. They've got a long, hard battle ahead. :(
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    That's absolutely true. Buying an '05 GT Premium convertible for $2000 below invoice (includes $750 Katrina relief rebate). Internet sales guy at Adamson Ford in Birmingham offered to match the deal but theirs had the auto transmission and the Shaker 1000 which I didn't want.
    Below invoice or below MSRP?
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    Invoice. No joke. Buying a car at the end of the year, especially if it's a leftover, rocks.
  • 05stangirl05stangirl Member Posts: 1
    B/C some some peoples insurance company says hell no to a gt, like mine. So you go get a v6 and make it fast like i did. Lets think about things before we speak.
    So..what needs to be done to "fix" a 6 cyl to equal a 300HP GT and what are the costs?...I'm in my mid 50's and really enjoying my GT.....insurance only increased about $300 per year from a 99' SUV....decided that my wife would not need to know that info anyway prior to obtaining my GT!
    I know that for some people, the only reason to buy a Mustang is to get a GT. Thats fine, thats why Ford makes a GT, for those people.

Keep in mind though that a loaded V6 Coupe stickers for about $24k (without Shaker 1000). You can get one for about $22k if you don't want leather and automatic transmission. WHAT A VALUE

The best option for the V6 is the Pony Package. This adds the wheels and suspension from the GT plus a unique grill with fog lights and some other cosmetic bits.

Keep in mind that the V6 is 210hp, 245lbft of torque. Thats Mustang GT performance from just 10 years ago.

Ford has done wonders with the exhaust on the V6 also, it definitely sounds more like a V8 then one would expect.

For the price, it seems like a really great option.

Mark
    It seems like Ford is requireing dealers to take 6 V6 coupes to get a GT.

Many dealers have a list of retail orders waiting to get built this should mean plenty of V6s sitting on lots ready to get discounted!

Mark
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    The V6 is plenty fast. If you want to go super fast go for the GT.

I went with the V6 and got the Pony Pkg, Leather, Interior Upgrade, Side airbags, and security system for 21500.

Beats the price of a GT anyday. And for $300-500 more you can get a tuner and mod it for another 20hp at the least.

It's the same car and insurance is less expensive.
  • jonpnjjonpnj Member Posts: 52
    V6 is extremely fast. I got the GT because the insurance difference was not that much based on my credit score and risk category. Wonderful gem indeed!
  • damcesdamces Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE TAKEN MY MUSTANG 2005 FOR THE FIRST OIL CHANGE AND THE REPLACEMENT OF THE EXTERIOR DOOR HANDLES (WHICH SIMPLY WOULD STAY OUT AND WOULDN'T RETURN TO ORIGINAL POSITION) AND IT TOOK THREE DAYS.

NOW I HAVE TO GO BACK AGAIN TO CHECK THE EMISSION WARNING LIGHT, GASOLINE ODOR, LOW BRAKE PEDALS AND CD PLAYER THAT KEEPS SKIPPING TRACKS AND AGAIN A 2 DAY DELAY JUST TO DIAGNOSE THE MALFUNCTION AND SURPRISE, THERE ARE NO REPLACEMENT PARTS IN EXISTENCE AND WILL HAVE TO WAIT FROM 3 TO 4 DAYS.

HAVING AN EXTENDED GUARANTEE THE LEAST EXPECTED WAS TO GET A CAR FROM THE DEALER WHILE MY CAR WAS ON THE SHOP AND IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE SINCE IT CAN ONLY BE GRANTED AFTER THERE IS A REPAIR ORDER. IN CONCLUSION I HAVE NO CAR TO DRIVE AND SIMPLY DONT KNOW WHEN WILL I GET MY CAR FIXED.

THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS TRULY THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN EXCEPT FOR THE ONE AT MACK-NEXTRAN. I WILL NEVER BUY AGAIN A FORD NO MATTER THE MODEL NOR ITS LOOKS BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY ARE JUST LOOKS
    Your complaint is with the dealer, not Ford. Ford doesn't service it's vehicles (it's actually prohibited by law) - the dealer does. Find a new dealer that can actually fix problems instead of causing new ones. Ford's hands are tied on these types of problems.
  • klavitolaklavitola Member Posts: 4
    have a windveil blue 2005 V6 premium Mustang bought 2/16/2005 built in Nov 2004. I live in NJ and havent modified anything except added a spoiler. I havent fixed any of the problems yet. I have 8,000 miles on the car. It is automatic.

Here is everything that is wrong with my car:

1 - Makes front end clunck when turning.
    2 - gas tank problem
    3 - radio resets itself when car sits for 48 hours without running and it is below freezing. Also, the volume gets stuck on HIGH and wont turn off or down (I almost went deaf)
    4 - driver's side handle sticks out and wont go flush
    5 - had one broken windshield (just a little pebble hit it) and a front tire blow out on the NJ parkway within one week of each other ($350 for the windshield from safelite auto glass and the tire is the same as a dodge caravan so it was cheap - 65$ installed.
    6 - Air vent - foot/floor position doesnt work - it blows air out of the defrost instead and makes my windows fog up.
    7 - When it's cold out - I cant put the emergency break on - it freezes and the car burns rubber when I drive.
    8 - when its cold out the windows - you know how it goes down an inch and up an inch when you open and close the doors - well, they freeze in position and then when you close the door, the rubber freezes and the door/window isnt flush and doesnt close properly.
    9 - there is water that stays in the foot well inside the door and only on the driver's side.
    10 - if its humid out, the car make a sound when idling - it kindo of revvs or rumbles and sounds horrible at stoplights.

I just cant bring myself to bring it in for service - I cant part with my car for one minute. I love it - and the problems are a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] - but so is parking it zimbabwe when shopping and walking for a mile to shop just so I dont get a door ding. I love my car and dont want any one, any valet, my husband, or especially a mechanic to touch it ! Does anyone else feel the same and have all of the same problems??
    They call it Mustang fever. ;) Ninety-nine percent of people who buy a Mustang love it to death, even if they do have problems with it. It's one of those unexplained phenomena of the universe. :P

I've had a couple of issues that were fixed without drama, but neither of them was enough to make me hate my Mustang. I had the fuel fill problem and the clunking during low speed turns. Both of those have a Technical Service Bulletin out on them and are easily remedied.
  • bluragtopbluragtop Member Posts: 1
    Very happy with my 2006 GT convertible!!! I would like to change the stock 17inch GT wheels for the 18inch polished GT wheels (soon as they are available at ford racing parts).

I am concerned about the quality/comfort of the ride. Can anyone that has switched from a 17 to 18 inch wheel let me know if there was a noticeable difference in the ride.
  • mcbuckstermcbuckster Member Posts: 32
    Ive heard this from others -- that they actually paid LESS than invoice for a GT or V6. It could be true, but I find this hard to believe. I dealt with 3 local dealers, plus 2 internet negotiations. Not 1 of them would even come close to the invoice price, and only 2 of them would even come down a little off of the MSRP.

Consider yourself lucky if you actually beat the invoice price, but here in the Seattle area it isnt possible from what Ive seen.
    From this site:

Wards names 10 Best Engines for 2006:

Ford Motor Co.: 4.6L SOHC V-8 (Mustang GT)