Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    From this site:

Edmunds.com Eighth Annual Editors' Most Wanted

Have you ever wondered what the editors at Edmunds.com would choose to buy if they could select a model from each class? The Editors' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2006 is based on criteria set forth by the editorial team... namely, what would each of them want in their garage? Knowing this team of diverse people and their lifestyles is an assurance that the list is for the real world and not a wish list. Well, except for the exotics!

So, what did the editors choose?

Coupe Under $25,000 Ford Mustang

Convertible Under $25,000 Ford Mustang
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is looking to speak with a new Mustang owner who was a fan of the 1960s era Mustang but not the 1980s or 1990s era Mustangs. Please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, January 24, 2005 containing your daytime contact information and a few words about how you feel about the new Mustang.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• detailzdetailz Member Posts: 47
    I test drove the 2005 GT with 17" tires/rims and did not notice any issues at that time. After waiting 4 months and was told that my 2005 was not going to be built, I told the dealership to "reorder" the 2006 GT with the 18" tires/rims. These came through with the matte finished Al wheels and the 18" BFGoodrich GForce Z rated High Speed Tires ....all seasonal. Have taken quite a few trips on these tires and the handling/traction is absolutely superb and the ride is so quiet that you don't even hear the tire...can hear the roar of the engine, though, which is a good thing as you know!
    ....hope this helps..........let me know how it works out
  • gaskidgaskid Member Posts: 5
    Today the Barrett Jackson Automobile Auction broadcast on the Speed Channel will be auctioning, for charity, a 2007 Shelby GT500. Watch it if you have a chance.
  • gaskidgaskid Member Posts: 5
    The car went for $700,000!

The winning bidder will get an early VIN 2007 Shelby GT500 coupe, the first one offered for sale to the public. The car will be produced to the successful bidder’s specification, including the color and factory available options, for delivery when production begins later in the year. All proceeds from the winning bid will go in support of the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation.
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    In Seattle I couldnt find anyone who would sell a GT for x plan. The best I found was $500 under MSRP. There are not a lot of GT's on the dealer lots.
    There are a ton of V6's and I bought one on 12/31 for $1600 under invoice at Ford of Kirkland. They were definitely dealing at year end. You can get a V6 for x plan or if you cant do x plan very close to invoice. I couldnt pass on my deal it had every option but Shaker1000.
    There's a dealer in Austin Tx on one of the mustang forums saying they are dealing on GT's. Seems the southern states have lots of GT's.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Ordering a Mustang with 18 inch wheels will put your car farther out as there is a limited availabilty on this option.

Mark.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    Sounds like my 06 GT Vista Blue is "bunked" and coming very soon like this week or next! Ordered September 3. Anyway it got added with another mustang which help speed up the delivery. I really did not want it till spring but in reading other folks trying to get Mustang GT's I better grab it and be glad. He tells me that they are so busy making them that they may stop taking orders for 06's soon.
  • marksermarkser Member Posts: 16
    Hey everyone, new to this board as a poster, but have been reading the forums for about the last 5 months or so. I found a way to get a Mustang GT Premium at X-Plan! Buy two cars at the same time and demand it! Picking up my wife's Freestyle SEL tonight for a steal. It was a Demo, but it is LOADED! Have had the dealer, here in Atlanta, looking for my Mustang GT for me. No luck in finding the exact one that I want anywhere in the region, but they have one allocated to them at the plant that all they have to do is change the wheels and have it built. Will be getting the VIN# tonight. Ordering a Vista Blue Premium, IUP, 18" Fanblades. I can't wait. In the near future, I plan to add a C&L CAI and a Cat-Back exhaust system, either Flowmaster or Borla or maybe Basini. Hopefully will have it in about a month! Will keep you updated!
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Which dealer?
    Team Ford on U.S 41 in Marietta. I already qualified for X-Plan, due to the fact that I work for a Ford Supplier. As you know, though, the dealer does not HAVE to honor the plan. I just made it a bit easier on them by telling them I was purchasing 2 vehicles at the same time. There are a couple of other dealers in the area who said they would also honor X-Plan if I was to purchase both cars at the same time.
    I have a great salesman at Billy Howell in Cumming. He said he was pretty sure he could order a GT coupe on X plan or any V6 but that the GT convertibles were still going for sticker (right now). If they had surplus verts in April then he might be able to deal on them but not now.

I was buying my Fusion (on X plan) from him about 3 months ago and when I walked into the showroom there was a brand new yellow Ford GT all roped off with a couple of sales people standing nearby. After I wiped the drool off my chin I told the sales people that I needed to go find my (x-plan) pin. The guy held out an ink pen and said this is the only pen you'll be needing for that car! They're actually not selling as great as they were and you can get one for close to MSRP, although Ford raised the MSRP by $10K. And yes, they do have X plan prices (and A/Z/D) - my salesman showed me the invoice. Not that you'd ever be able to buy it for that.
    30,000 layoffs, 14 plant closures. As much as I love my GT Premium, these facts make me wonder if buying a Ford was the best idea. Will dealerships start closing? Will service and parts be harder to get? Will the car's resale value go plummeting?
    Just the opposite. They WILL be around in 5 years precisely because of what they're doing. All they're doing is getting rid of the excess capacity that they've been building up over the last few years. They're not killing any models that they haven't already decided to kill and I don't think they're cutting back on production for existing models beyond what they're currently selling or forecasting for the near future. The only effect it should have is a positive one on the bottom line.

I'd be worried if they weren't making these types of announcements.
    You may be right. Afterall, Ford stock went up 5% yesterday following the announcement of down sizing. But I was listening to a Wall St Journal analyst on the radio who said that unless Ford sales soon rivaled the Japanese, it wasn't beyond the realm of the possible that Ford could go the way of Studebaker. They're producing 1 million cars more than they're selling.
    They can't be making 1 million cars more than they're selling - where would they put them???

What Ford and GM (and to a lesser degree - Chrysler) have been doing is building more cars than they can sell to the public at a reasonable price. So they've had to sell them to fleets (rental cars e.g.) or put enormous incentives on them. What they have to do is figure out how many they can sell at their target price and only produce that many. That's what will protect residual values and get rid of huge incentives. I'd be surprised to see more than $1K per car incentives from Ford (current year models) going forward. Then you gain back market share by introducing more models using the same philosophy or improving current models and taking sales and market share from other companies.

You gotta go down before you can go back up. It won't happen overnight but at least Ford is moving in the right direction. I still don't think GM gets it.
  • nowgfstcatnowgfstcat Member Posts: 19
    Depends on the dealer. I'm picking up my 06 GT Prem tonight at the dealer and I bought it employee pricing (Z plan actually). I did have to order it for the z plan pricing but hey my car was built & shipped within 6 weeks. My dealer must have no problems with allocation.

Man today is going to be a LONG day! :D
    Very COOL!!!! Had no problems with the wife's Freestyle last night. Saw my order sheet and the salesman will get me my VIN# today. It is already part of their allocation, they just made a few minor changes. Hopefully it will get here within a month! I can't wait, but it will give me a couple more payments on my trade as I am still slightly upside down on it. But then again, when I do get it, the weather should be awesome! Can't wait for it's first road trip......maybe blast down I-75 to Florida!
    The media loves to bash Ford. Who would listen to or read a positive story about Ford?

Facts: Ford thanks to the sale of Hertz and a $2 billion NET income for 2005 raised its CASH on hand to OVER $25 billion.

Ford's short and long term debt is $21 billion.
    Ford's stock equity at current market prices is $15 billion.

This is not a company that is in dire straights.
    This is a company that is trying to restore profitability to one of its divisions, the NA Car Division.

Please keep in mind that the car industry today is vastly different from what it was even 10 or 15 years ago. There are many more brands, many more name plates and many more different catagory of vehicles.

Ford can be successful by selling less cars/trucks if those are sold at a profit. Ford wants to become a company that builds products that rather than appeals a little bit to a large number of people appeals a lot to a smaller group of people. A small group of more motivate buyers will pay more for a vehicle.

A perfect example of the type of car Ford wants to build is the Mustang. The appeal of this vehicle is limited but be cause Ford focused like a laser on the target group of customers, the car is a huge success. If you want a Mustang, what other car out there would you even consider? The appeal of the Mustang is so unique that the people who want it are willing to pay a premium.

The opposite of the car Ford wants to build is the Ford Five Hundred. The Five Hundred has many positive attributes such that totally rational actors would place it high on their list. Unfortuantely for Ford, robots don't buy cars. Emotional People buy cars.

The man in charge, Mark Fields, was the guy who brought Mazda back from the brink. Look at the Mazda3. This is probably the most expensive car in its size catagory but because it is so well focused on what it is trying to accomplish and who it is trying to appeal to, it is selling almost as fast as it can be made WORLD WIDE!

Its ironic that the US Ford Focus has none. Totally bland interior. Out of date exterior. The great engine/driving experience just isn't enough to over come the rest of the vehicle.

Mark
    "Moving in the right direction" and getting there are two different things. The only two Ford products that are selling off the lot are the Mustang and hybrids. Why the Zephyr isn't even being marketed is beyond me, maybe just another example of Ford misdirection.
    Um, my dealership has 1 Zephyr and we have yet to have more than 2 in stock at the same time.

Mark
    Mark, you're making my argument. With products for which Ford can't keep up with demand, how can Ford be heading toward bankruptcy? Answer: they're still not selling enough cars. Repeat: 1 million Ford cars go unsold each year. That indicates a serious lack of predicting (and meeting) demand.

The Japanese, for instance, keep only as much inventory on hand as is needed to produce the current batch of cars; they never stockpile. This allows them to adopt to changing market conditions and quickly gear up to new demand. In contrast, Ford built tens of thousands of gas-guzzling SUV's nobody wants, yet can't build the Mustangs and hybrids that are in demand. That's terrible planning.

Every corporation does extensive market research in order to predict demand. It seems Ford hasn't been doing its homework. In contrast, Ford international sales have been doing well, in markets Ford did project correctly.
    The glut of SUVs is due to the high gas prices following the Katrina disaster. Before that they were selling fine.

Show me a company whose market research predicted that a hurricane would hit N.O. and cause gas prices to spike which would hurt SUV sales.

The high demand period is over for mustangs, especially V6 mustangs. Ford was VERY smart not to overproduce mustangs when the demand was so high, otherwise they'd have way too many now. As it stands they can cut back on overtime and put production back to a nice, sustainable level.
    And where do you keep hearing that a million cars are going unsold each year? If so, exactly where are they going? Are they throwing them away like expired milk? Are they donating them to the American Kidney Fund? Or maybe they're just dumping them in the ocean to get rid of them?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Before that they were selling fine.

thanks to $10K in incentives.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

The rebates were nowhere near $10K. Maybe $3K max. Current rebates on leftover 2005 explorers is only $5K and $2K on new 2006 explorers.

They obviously recognized the shift away from SUVs at least 3 years ago when they started developing the Freestyle and Edge crossovers. Unfortunately the market shift is happening before the Edge is in production. I think it caught everyone by surprise. Look at GM - they're just revamping their full size trucks and SUVs this year.
    High demand is not over for GT's, far from it. I challange you to go out and find one equipped the way you want it, in the color you want, at MSRP. V6's have always been relatively plentiful, but, imo, the V6 is not what the new Mustang was designed for, but only a cheaper, stripped-down model meant to increase sales.
    Source for 1 million Ford vehicles not sold: evening network TV news.

What do they do with 'em? Beats me.
    Maybe they meant "not built" as opposed to "not sold". At any rate I wouldn't trust anything I heard on TV news, network or otherwise.
    No, they specifically said 1 million cars were built and not sold, and showed a huge lot of cars.

I don't blame you for not trusting anything on CBS, NBC, or ABC news. I would extend my skepticism to cable news and the major newspapers and magazines, the NY Times, Wash Post, LA Times, Newsweek, Time, New Yorker, the Atlantic, ad nauseum.
    Ford does stock pile cars to keep the factory going. I know at one point, Ford leased an old salt mine in like nebraska or somewhere to store unsold crown vics.

Closing the factory is a good move.

Dealers that do not provide excellent customer service are probably not going to survive.

Ford's new factories with flex manufacture ring will help alleviate the stock piling problem.

Mark
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    well, i was just throwing out an exaggerated number when I said $10k ... but that $3k max number is exaggerated, too.

i did a search and this is the first one I came up with. It shows a total of $6700 in rebates. Even if you exclude the Visa part of it, its still $6200.

olysan, "Rebates, Incentives, APRs - Questions & Comments" #3044, 24 Jun 2005 3:07 pm

and that's all the way back in June, before they even started their employee pricing ploy. ... AND before the hurricane.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I know they stockpile some vehicles but a MILLION??? No way.

Ok, so the incentives were higher than I thought. Ford admits they were later to the crossover party than they should have been, but they'll be in the ballgame by this fall. Better late than never.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Folks, while this discussion is interesting, it seems to have veered away from the topic and into something more suited to our News & Views Forum. Let's get back to our regularly-scheduled discussion about the 2005+ Mustang.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• detailzdetailz Member Posts: 47
    Hi! Thought I would jump in and agree with the regularly scheduled discussion about the Mustang +.....was about to jump in about the news media that can and does control the delivery of "news" to the American public....but that is for another forum totally out of this forum all together.
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Hey guys,
    I just wanted to share a little excitement with you all. I traded in my 05 V6 auto for a 06 GT 5 speed and man what a difference. I enjoyed the V6 but having the V8 power behind your finger tips on that manual is so much more fun to drive. Deals are getting really good right now as well. I was able to get this baby with the red leather and interior trim kit, Mycolor, ABS, traction control, Shaker 500, and 18" mag rims for under 27 grand. That price would have been unheard of middle of last year when you could barely find GT's on the lot.

Daniel
    :)
  • bubbleheadbubblehead Member Posts: 4
    Posting for the benefit of anyone considering a Mustang V-6 with automatic.

I just rented a 2005 coupe for two days in Virginia-Maryland. It must have been almost the most basic version, apart from the rocker panel stripe and spoiler (which, as far as I'm concerned, just serves to block part of the view out the back window).

I drove more than 350 miles and got a measured, almost exactly, 26 MPG overall. This included about 50 miles of spirited driving on hilly, curvy back roads. Returning to to the airport this morning I got a measured 29 MPG during a 70 mile drive, mostly freeway, completed in 65 minutes.

The engine may not sound or perform like the V-8, but the gas mileage is certainly impressive.

Overall I enjoyed the car and liked it much better after a driving it several hours than when I first picked it up.
  • rain33rain33 Member Posts: 2
    Here is a list questions from a future GT owner....hopefully.

1 - How long with this current "generation" be available. And, what modifications might made to it. For example; After reading these posts I have concerns about the shaker 1000?
    2- I love dual racing stripes, but who doesn't. How do these affect paint underneath? For instance, could I take them off after several years and see no difference in the paint?
    3 - Last, I prefer the look of a ducktail - like that of the GT 500. Will this be a possible factory option for a GT, or would it have to be aftermarket?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    i have been thinking about asking the mileage question for the v6, but was hesitant. thanks for the timely info. btw, i have a '91 gt. anyone else want to post about it?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    1 - I'd expect a "freshening" in 2007 with a possible major rework in 2010 based on recent comments from Ford. No way to really tell for sure though.

2 - Paint is the best type of racing stripe. The new vinyls are really good and with clearcoat paint fade isn't really a big problem, but it is possible.

3 - not likely to be a factory option.
    My ex 05 V6 auto in my opinion had great gas mileage considering the size of the engine. You know what was funny, and correct me if I am wrong, but the automatic had better gas mileage than the manual for the V6 models. With the auto at 75mph you were only doing about 2500 rpms so you could still get about 25mpg and as much as 28-29mpg at about 60-65mph. But who drives 60mph on the highway. My 06 GT manual on the other hand seems to be doing pretty good on the highway, I am getting about 22-24mpg and about 15mpg in the city. Start stomping on that accelerator and using those 300 horses and that baby will drink gas... But hey what can you expect the two go hand and hand, more fuel = more power.

Daniel
  • pentalonpentalon Member Posts: 1
    I test drove a manual V6 last night and 2 V6 automatics last summer. I've been very interested in getting one however I always walk away with the overwhelming impression of, "Where is the money on this car?" I'm not trying to put it down -- I haven't been able to get the car out of my head for months now, but I can't escape this serious disettling feeling and would like to know if someone could answer that question for me. I'm not a car expert. My view is that the exterior is fantastic looking, but the interior is very unrefined, and the engine and transmission are very rough, and it bugs me enough that I haven't bought one yet. I test drove a Fusion last night also, which is cheaper but had a very smooth engine, smooth shifting and a much more refined interior. Even the guages on the Mustang are awkward and the text was blurry. I love the intent of the interior, there's just something about the proportions and angles that's off. It's frustrating that the Mustang costs $5000 more than the Fusion but seems to have less (besides of course that great exterior look). Are there heavier-duty and longer lasting components underneath that push the price up a bit? What about the live rear axle that's supposed to keep the price down? Down from where? Does the bigger mass just mean more to pay for? I don't know anything about Mustang history. My new Mustang obsession though is crumbling and I'm looking for something to keep it alive :).
    That you money you are looking for, is called PROFIT.

Ford is definately commanding a premium price for the Mustang.

Is this car perfect? Obviously not, but in the sporty personal coupe catagory, what other competition is there? The Solora? NOT

Please keep in mind that the roughness of the drivetrain is almost intentional.

If you want to see some value in a V6, look for a Pony Package car with the IUP, side airbags, and leather. This car should price out the same as a loaded V6 Fusion and the only option it will be lacking is heated seats, oh and the analog clock.

For real value, you have to get a GT without every available option. Then you'll be in the least expensive 300 horse power car on the road.

Mark
    The missing money, Go test drive an Acura TL then test drive an Accord. You'll really be looking for the missing money in the Acura.

Mark
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    touche'! :P

But in some fairness, the TL is only about $4K more than a maxed out Accord EX-V6 Nav. The extra money is spent on Bluetooth, pretty lights for the guages, a little more power, and more sound deadening material (I think). Clearly not worth $4K, but you get my meaning. But now that you can get the Accord sedan in a 6-speed, it'd be crazy to buy a TL!
    I have a 2006 with the polished 18" wheels and the ride is great. I believe the tire size, without running outside and looking, is 235/45/18. My last Mustang, a 2005 V6 came with 16" wheels and I actually replaced them with 20's...lol, tire size was 235/35/20. The sidewall was almost scary how small it was but even then with the stock softer suspension the ride was fine, a little firmer but not uncomfortable at all. Don't forget that sidewall depth plays a large roll in bump absorption. With a 35mm depth the tire was like a rock, hit a bump hard enough and you could bend your rim, but I had not choice with a 20" wheel. Hope this helps.

Daniel
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "With a 35mm depth...."

I think you've misunderstood tire sizing numbers.

For a 235/35-20 tire, the second number (35) is called the 'aspect ratio'. It is the height of the sidewall in relation to the width of the tire.

In other words, the sidewall on a 235/35-20 tire is:

235mm (tire width) x 0.35 (aspect ratio) = 82mm (about 3-1/4")
    Thanks for the correction, always good to know.

Daniel
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    Got it Saturday 2/4/06, Built 1/6/06, ordered 9/1/05. It was worth the wait! I can't believe how good it looks in person and how fantastic it drives! Very MUSCULAR attitude and the best GT I have ever had. I've had a 67 Cougar, 84 GT conv, 87 GT automatic and the style in and out is a 10 in my book. I think my facination with the Mustang started when I was 5 years old my dad gave me a brand new 1965 red Mustang toy car that actually had working headlights. The interior cues are right out of my 67' that I still have fond memories of.
    Good luck to all who are waiting and know this that you won't be disappointed, also My Ford dealer and salesperson were excellent through the whole process.
  • thegreatsatanthegreatsatan Member Posts: 1
    Got my car on Tuesday and love it. Better yet, I got it for 4% dealer profit using the strategy from FightingChance.com.

06 Premium V6 Auto with Pony package, interior upgrades, and leather for 22k out the door.

I tested both the 6 and the 8 and yeah the 8 was a lot of fun, but this is still going to be my daily driver and when you start commuting 60 miles a day that gas bill starts getting gnarly. Also, I can't justify the extra 5k for 90 more HP.

Love the car though, 300 miles and no problems yet. The ride is what I expected, and the gas milage has been pretty decent. My one complaint is the small fuel tank, around 15 gallons. It really limits the distance the car can go. My older Volvo had a 20 gal tank and I could squeeze 500 miles out of it. With the Mustang I'm looking at roughly 320.