Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Sales have slowed overall, and at least you can find GTs sitting on the lot. My dealer said he'd do X plan on a GT coupe if I ordered it (or any V6 coupe) but not on convertibles (yet). Verts are still hot (it's almost springtime).
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    right now, Stick GTs are HIGH RISK for NOT being scheduled.

Mark.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Sounds like a good time to jump in and buy one (a GT) if you have a mind to. The slump in demand in your area might or might not last.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Will there be any significant changes to the front and rear on the Stang for '07? And will we see independent rear suspension by '08? Would love to see telescopic steering columns on all models, and roll bars for convertibles. Ford wants ya safe - right? The current car looks and feels pretty good. Even the V6 now sounds better after the big change. As long as the 2014 model doesn't look like the Focus, I think we're OK. :shades:

Loren
    Its pretty clear from what Ford is saying, that a Live Axle is part of the Mustang experience.

This car is suppose to be a little rough on the edges. Kind of like a tom boy chick in her prom dress.

Mark.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Sirius satellite radio
    "Soft touch" dash option for the GT
    No more Interior Upgrade Package except for fleet vehicles
    Heated seats
    Power passenger seat
    California Special edition for the GT that will include diffent colored seats w/ suede inserts.
    Engine cover on the GT
    Electrochromic rearview mirror w/ Homelink

Due to forum rules, I can't tell you the website of the Mustang source from where I got the information.
    Actually it's the Interior Sport Appearance Package that will be fleet only, not the Interior Upgrade Package. There is a new GT appearance package.

Alloy Grey and Grabber Orange are 2 new colors.
  • sonicblucrisissonicblucrisis Member Posts: 52
    Engine cover on the GT?
    Well it may be a little rough on the edges, as you say, but the price is getting more uptown. Once the Challenger, then the Camaro ( if they are still in business ) comes out, I would imagine Ford will have to upgrade the Stang to IRS. And yes, I suppose I could live without it, while likewise the price on the V6 should stay under $20K and the V8 under $25K. Would also expect a different V6 for gas mileage, and / or transmission changes for both Stangs.
    If they build that Challenger like the show car, some 79+ inches wide, I for one won't consider it. Some of the streets around here are too narrow, and the parking lots would not come close to fitting within the lines. I think the Mustang will remain on my list of cars to buy some day. A used Corvette is still in the back on my mind, though my pocketbook says beware the maintenance costs. Guess the other RWD car is the Chrysler 300.

I think the live rear axle is gone by 2008 model year, though I could be wrong.

Loren
    ... Once the Challenger, then the Camaro ( if they are still in business ) comes out, I would imagine Ford will have to upgrade the Stang to IRS. ...

Why would they have to upgrade to IRS?? When the F-bodies came out with well over 300HP, the Mustang GT was still well under 300HP and it still outsold the F-bodies (combined) by at least 2:1. How is the lack of an IRS all of a sudden going to make a difference? :confuse:
  • kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    I just got the latest edition of MotorTrend and there was mention of the fact that most of the special edition Mustangs (Bullitt, Mach 1, etc) were canceled except for the BOSS, which will come w/ a 5.4 L V8. I'm hoping it will be aluminum to keep weight down. Maybe this info is very old, but it was the first time I had heard of it. Does anyone know anything else?
    Lack of IRS didn't stop Ford Mustang FR500C from winning the 2005 Grand Am Manfacturers cup.

http://www.grandamerican.com/CONTENT/Docs/PDF/2005/VIRCup%20Mfg%20Points.pdf

BMW came in second and Porsche came in third.

Mark.
  • scalmiescalmie Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone used a Predator tuner on a 2005 Mustang V6?

If so, were the results worth the $400?

Thanks.
    The F body failed due the long hood, which was largely invisible up front, low seating position, larger overall size, windshield angle too radical for some, it was not promoted, strange hump where the catalytic converter was located, and a lack of updates, to name a few reasons. The engine was just fine. The handling was better than a Stang. Looks were good, just less functional. The New Camaro and/or Challenger will be a modern suspensioned car, so if they choose to keep the Stang as is, that is their choice. Perhaps it will not matter that much, yet I still think it will be one or several items in need of updates. If the Camaro and Challenger is too expensive, their will be no need to change the Stang.

Loren
    That's great that it works well enough on the track. I have seen 1965 Stangs on the track at Laguna Seca, and having a grand old time. Has nothing to do with everyday car experience and driving on irregular highways and country roads of America. Yes, it is great they won the 2005 Grand Am Cup. I am sure it is a good car with a solid axle. Would consider buying one some day. Will it compare to the competition though when they have IRS in street version - used on the street? That is the question. If they want to sell on price, perhaps it won't matter. Maybe it won't matter if Chrysler or GM shoots themselves in the foot by overcharging for their car, or making it too wide and too dang heavy to be a truly sporty car, and it all won't matter to Ford. I am just saying, someday a modern suspension will likely have to be built into a modern day car.

Loren
    You do understand that it's not a run-of-the-mill solid rear axle - right? It's a very sophisticated setup with a panhard rod and is closer to a racing setup than a normal inexpensive street setup.

Go back and read the reviews on the CTS-V and see how well IRS handles that much power. Do the words axle-hop ring a bell? It's a non-issue. Car and Driver said their testers actually looked under the car after their first test drives thinking there was an IRS under there.
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I am considering a Mustang V6 coupe, to drive everyday to work. Since I live in the midwest, and occasionally have to deal with snow, can anyone tall me how they handle in snow. Does the traction control tame the rear wheels? I want a V6, 5 spd, but now I'm starting to worry that it will be useless in winter.
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    you will see good results with a new tune.

you will see significant results when coupled with a cold air intake.

SCT tuner is favored for automatics.
    rear wheel drive cars have been around for since the beginning of time. they work fine in the snow.
    The issue is that some work better than others. A 2wd pickup, for example, is a handful in the snow because it is so light over the drive wheels. On the other hand, I used to drive Crown Vics (when my kids were little - in lieu of a minivan) and I never had trouble driving in PA, even without posi or traction control. I am wondering what owners in snow country have experienced with their mustangs. Does the traction control tame the rear end, or is it too light to work well in snow? Are you able to drive the car in winter as a daily driver?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Go back and read the reviews on the CTS-V and see how well IRS handles that much power. Do the words axle-hop ring a bell?"

Absolutely.

Not to mention the fact that when the Cobra Mustang was originally offered with an IRS ('95? '96?), owners were having problems with the car at the drag stips precisely BECAUSE of the IRS. Many folks gravitated to the Mach I precisely because they could get the DOHC Cobra motor in a car with a solid rear axle.

Faithful Mustangers WANT a solid rear.
    Not to mention the fact that when the Cobra Mustang was originally offered with an IRS ('95? '96?), ...

'99 ;)
    Actually I think the Cobra debuted as a 2000 model, not a 99. 99 was the exterior redesign and the SVT model followed the next year. Then they didn't make them for a year because of the horsepower fiasco.
    So basically what you are saying is that the Mustang should stay as is for drag racing. Interesting marketing approach considering the percent or a percent that would represent. I am sure the car works fine as is, but as time moves on, so does product development. I doubt people long for drum brakes, drop in gas tanks, and hub caps, but who knows. I guess if the muscle car image superseded the pony car - sporty personal car image, then I suppose drag racing is top on the list. I owned a 1965 and a 1985 Stang, and both were not what I would describe as drag racers. Actually, they are best classed as Pony Car in that they are sport car, which in some ways could be classed as a sports car, fun personal driver car, or when beefed up and muscle car.

Yes, most people will not rule out buying a Mustang because they do not presently have an IRS. But as time marches on and others in the Pony Class do have it, my bet is more emphasis is made on this issue in car magazines and by those buyers looking for sports cars. Personally, as but one part of a larger equation, I do not see it as a deal breaker on its own not to have IRS. What I am saying is as a whole, as the car becomes more modern in design, and the competition heats up, I am sure this will be one of several changes to come.

As for reviews on the CTS-V, I have not read them, but I have seen the CTS-V at Laguna Seca, and it runs along just fine. Sounds awesome too. Would not consider drag racing a CTS-V. The Corvettes 3 & 4 were tops in the American Lemans Series, at least a couple years ago.

Loren
    What we're saying is the complaints about the lack of IRS are not coming from people who've actually driven the mustang. Nobody who's actually driven one has found very much (if anything) to complain about.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    I have an XJ8 Jag with IRS and an 06 GT 5 speed and my feeling is I like my Mustang just the way it is, don't change a thing!
  • zlskrszlskrs Member Posts: 9
    Can someone provide the brand and model of the tires which come with the optional 18" wheel packages? These larger wheels also come with "suspension upgrades" but I haven't been able to find any specifics about what that means. If someone could explain that it would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • vppreachervppreacher Member Posts: 72
    Homerkc,
    I drive a manual 05 GT up in Maine year round. I had some initial issues on ice with the stock All-Season Pirellis, but I replaced them with four Michelin X-Ice based on numerous great reviews (CR, Tirerack, Scandanavian newspapers). With the snow/ice tires on, a slipping and sliding Pony turns into an agile, sure-footed reindeer. The ABS and TCS work very well. They have saved me from myself several times. One final story....we live on a dirt road with a significant grade to our house. While my neighbours FWD Taurus with cheap snow tires had to get towed up the hill, my Pony went right up it behind my wife's 4WD Expedition. Hope this helps...
    vppreacher
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    My 06 GT with the 18" rims has BFGoodrich G-Force T/A at 235/50/18 but this does not mean this is the standard tire for the whole nation. I also have not heard of any suspension upgrade with an 18" rim. The Mustang will support a rim size up to 20" at 235/35/20 with no rub. Hope this helps.

D
    Thanks - that does help. As I said in my prior post, I have had great success with RWD cars, however the Mustang is a lighter car. If ABS and TCS along with good snow tires tame a GT in Maine, I should be OK in Kansas. I just spent hours at the Auto Show jumping back and forth between the various cars I like - and just couldn't find a car more appealing than the Mustang. By the way, I have heard reports of 29mpg on the highway with the V6, and 25 mpg in mixed driving. Are those numbers legitimate?
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Those numbers are accurate when driving like a grandma... You can get 25 mpg on the GT at about 55 to 65 MPH. Though I have experienced a slight MPG gain by opening up the system. Intake, headers, performance cats, Borla exhaust, and tune. Of course this gain is only when cruising at the speed limit or so, when stomping on it you naturally will use a little more fuel. I will tell you one thing; the power gain by adding what I just listed is fantastic. 60 to 70 HP.

D
  • riverronriverron Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2005, GT, 5-speed, and take 700mi round trip to San Diego from Arizona about every 6 weeks. The trip is about 65% freeway and the rest two-lane roads. I averaged on my last two trips 24.8 and 25.05mpg, while averaging over 70mph including stopping once for gas / pit stop. I have an "airraid" cold air intake and a "Jet computer upgrade", but that is all I've done. I DO NOT baby the car on these trips and on the two-lane part it often sees the century mark for short periods.
    Here is a summary of the changes.
    Marketing Strategy Key Points:

• V6 new for 2007 is the availability of 17" wheels (64D) as a free standing option.

o GT Appearance Package which includes Hood Scoop, Bright Rolled Exhaust Tips, and Pony Emblem
    Engine Cover

o GT California Special which includes 18" Polished Aluminum Wheel (64W) Dove or Parchment interior
    environments, Black leather seats with unique Cal Special contrasting Dove or Parchment "GT Leather" inserts,
    California Special badged floor mats, unique front fascia, larger air intake, chin spoiler 1.5" lower than GT,
    unique fear fascia with race care like "diffuser", side scoops, unique tape stripe, and bright rolled exhaust tips.

• V6 & GT new interior options include:

o Sport Appearance Package w/Color Accent – includes the 2006 Interior Sport Appearance Package plus
    Black interior components (seats, carpet, mats, and front door panel inserts), Cloth or leather seats providing
    contrast in Graphite & Parchment Interiors and aluminum pedal covers

o Premier Trim w/Color Accent Pkg – includes wrapped & stitched IP brow and center console lid,
    upgraded door armrests (w/stitching) and aluminum pedal covers. Available in Chamois, Red, and Black
    leather seats with door trim inserts on 5 interior color combinations

o Comfort Group – includes heated driver and passenger seats, 6-way power passenger seat and
    electrochromic mirror with compass

o Freestanding option of heated seats

• Optional driver and passenger seat side-mounted air bags no longer requires the Interior Upgrade Package (18G), side-mounted air bags include Dark Charcoal Aberdeen pattern front door panel inserts.

• Mustang also continues to offer audio and entertainment options that place Mustang at the forefront of technology and performance. These include:
    ⎯ New for 07
    • SIRIUS™ Satellite Radio (50S)
    • Auxiliary Audio Input Jack
    ⎯ Continuing for 07
    • Shaker 500 Audio System (912) offered on Deluxe and Premium configurations
    • Shaker 1000 Audio System (918) offered on Deluxe and Premium configurations for GT and Premium on
    V6

Mark
    Actually I think the Cobra debuted as a 2000 model ...

It came out in '99. Nineteen ninety-nine was the year they had the HP fiasco. Spent so much time fixing it that there was no 2000 Cobra (except the R model and, literally, one or two regular Cobras that didn't make it to consumers).
    That's correct. I was thinking that they changed the body in 99 and the Cobra followed a year later but that wasn't the case. I guess that's because the engines were basically the same as the 98 models.
    I don't know why I thought the IRS had been introduced with the '96 or '97 models but '99 is correct.

Is it true that after the introduction of the IRS on the Cobra that there was a fair amount of opposition to it from owners or am I imagining that?
    Yes, there was supposedly a big problem with axle hop which many Cobra owners were unhappy about.

The solution of using a VERY sophisticated solid axle seems to have 2 benefits - it's cheaper and it solves the traction problem. And they've tuned it so that it doesn't sacrifice much in ride quality.
    So you are saying that a car with a solid axle will corner better on uneven roads, as in bumpy corners found on the country roads, than an IRS? This is the first I have ever heard of IRS being inferior to solid axled cars. So I guess all the expensive European cars need to go solid axle. I am not talking about on a smooth track, but for daily street driving.

As for road track racing, it is good that Ford is involved and supporting this kind of racing. Too much emphasis these days on NASCAR. One tires of all NASCAR 24/7 in the news while other car racing takes the back seat in the media and fan support.

And once again, the Mustang having a solid axle, updated like the current or the older setup pre-'05 is alright by me, and I am sure others. I was just saying the future to me looks towards a change. Hell, I can be wrong. As long as future retro designs don't extend to the Pinto era, no problem. And in all fairness, the Pinto era was not as bad as the Vega mishap by GM.

Loren
    So you are saying that a car with a solid axle will corner better on uneven roads, as in bumpy corners found on the country roads, than an IRS? This is the first I have ever heard of IRS being inferior to solid axled cars. So I guess all the expensive European cars need to go solid axle. I am not talking about on a smooth track, but for daily street driving.

Whoa - I never said that. What I said was a solid axle is cheaper and is better at putting massive amounts of power to the ground evenly. And Ford has managed to tune theirs to yield great performance without much degradation in ride quality. It won't be as smooth as an IRS but there's always a tradeoff. It also helps stiffen the chassis.
    Speaking of axle hop, has anyone seen the commercial with the red Mustang GT "hot dogging" around inside a big, empty warehouse? It has massive wheel hop. I'm surprised no Mustang detractors have mentioned that yet.
    "It won't be as smooth as an IRS but there's always a tradeoff."

That statement was very key and EVERYONE needs to pay attention to it.

All suspension setups (ALL OF THEM) involve compromises. Yes m1miata, an IRS would be easier to tune to give both good lateral grip and good ride quality. However, IRS suspensions have their downsides (besides weight and cost). One of those downsides is the ability to put lots of torque to the pavement without axle hop.

Is a solid rear-end immune to axle hop? No. However, it is much easier to SOLVE this problem with a solid rear as opposed to an IRS.

You've asked before if a solid rear is really all that necessary since most folks don't drag race their Mustangs. I would respond with is an IRS really all that necessary since most folks don't open track their cars on bumpy racetracks.

Regarding the behaviour of the Mustang rearend driven at normal roads at normal (or even moderately quick) speeds: HAVE YOU DRIVEN A MUSTANG or are you just assuming that since it has a solid rear it will just naturally be inferior to an IRS in every way?
    ... I would respond with is an IRS really all that necessary since most folks don't open track their cars on bumpy racetracks. ...

I'm being a bit of Devil's Advocate here, but IRS's raison detre' is for bumpy roads in everyday driving. It somewhat prevents a bump on one side from upsetting the other side of the car as well as keep a little more lateral balance. Just helps the car track a bit better on raggedy roads.

I have an '05 GT and I love it, solid axle and all (except for that annoying rattle behind the passenger airbag)!
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    With all the other vehicles (including SUVs - and almost every performance oriented car I can think of) now available with an automatic trans. that either offers a separate shift gate for manually up \ down shifting and \ or paddles on the steering wheel for the same purpose, I am absolutely amazed that even the 2007 version of the Mustang GT does not offer that as standard or optional.

Bizarre.

This trans. – and its predecessor (I owned a Lincoln LS V8 Sport with a version of each) offered this feature in a package. And the T-Bird (same trans.) offered it as stand-alone option – for something like $150 or $200.

I find this truly unbelievable.

And it is a ‘show stopper’ – for me.

- Ray

Likely a lonely voice on this issue.
    2022 X3 M40i
    With all the other vehicles ... now available with an automatic trans. that either offers a separate shift gate for manually up \ down shifting and \ or paddles on the steering wheel for the same purpose, I am absolutely amazed that even the 2007 version of the Mustang GT does not offer that as standard or optional.

But doesn't the automatic in the Mustang have direct selection of each gear? For example, 1-2-3-4-D. That is a better setup for the Mustang's purpose and it doesn't have the shift delay like most auto-manual tranmissions. So, what's your beef?
    Almost. It's D-3-2-1 with a separate button for overdrive lockout (changes D from 5th gear to 4th gear). So all 5 gears are available. The difference is in D4 the car shifts normally from 1-4 automatically whereas with SelectShift you'd stay in 4th gear until you decided to change it.

I was also a little shocked to see SST absent from the 2007 stang. The only logical explanation I can see is it's either a feature they're targeting for more expensive vehicles or they're not going to be using the 5R55 tranny going forward so the investment isn't warranted.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Yes, I thought we would probably see SST. I can live with the current arrangement, though. At least you can select and hold the first 3 gears just like a non-sport LS. I have never really had the desire to hold 4th anyway but I know others can make a case for that.

I am pleased with some of the nice upgrades. (heated seats, better interior trim, etc.) I would have liked to see telescoping wheel, homelink, and cooled seats, too, but those are not absolute deal-breakers for me. I also like the way the options are arranged - bare-bones muscle if you want it or more luxurious muscle for others like me.

Based on the 2007 options, I can add a loaded GT coupe to the list of possible replacements for my LS. Less than half the price of a new Jag XK but much more than half the capability, IMO.
    A new chip? ...

Wouldn't you worry about voiding the warranty, going to jail for reckless driving, if this is not on a racetrack, or having a high speed accident? I take you found a good stretch of asphalt to drive on. Got a Dodge Stealth up to 105 on time and yeah, it could go higher, but got to thinking about getting pulled over and put away, even though it was out in the desert. Stay safe, you know the multiplying effect of wrecks at high to higher speeds.

Loren
    a new "tune/chip" does not void the warranty.

the reason many get a tune is to improve the shift points on the automatic, improve the throttle response and increase torque and hp.

Ford left a lot more HP in the engine and a new tune gives you what you should have had from the beginning. Ford did this to increase their MPG ratings.

And this is available for both GT and V6.
    Actually a new tune (they don't use chips anymore - you have to reflash the PCM) COULD void your warranty if they can prove the failure was related to the new tune. Obviously it wouldn't affect a suspension problem or bad paint, but if it's an engine or tranny problem it's possible.

However, with the SCT flasher you can just reload your original PCM code before you take it back - just in case.

They didn't do it just for MPG - they also tuned it to run on 87 octane (advancing the timing for more power will require 91 octane) and for general driveability as opposed to pure performance.
    Really?

Mark