Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• vertical3vertical3 Member Posts: 43
    Don't forget the factory rubber on the Shelby doesn't put out as much a sticky footprint as the Vette. Bet you get more stares in the Shelby than in the Vette.

Enjoy the Shelby, if you live in Florida, enjoy the Shelby and be glad you have a liberal concealed weapon law.
  • cougarjunkiecougarjunkie Member Posts: 51
    Hi guys.

I'm looking to buy a new Mustang GT (my first new car ever). I even rented one (albeit a V6) for a day, just to get a good feel for it.

The car didn't seem very comfortable to me. For one thing, the headrest juts too far forward. Also, there isn't a lot of lateral legroom. Lengthwise, it's okay. But it seemed that my outer calf was cramped by the center console, which has a hard plastic edge to it. I'm 6'2", and have long legs.

I spoke to the dealer about the headrests. He said they could be changed. Is that true, and how difficult would it be?

As for the center console, is it possible to cut a little bit of it away (just a shallow semi-circle) to provide a little more calf comfort?

I'd be very grateful for any advice or ideas you could give me. I would rather buy the Mustang, but if I can't find a way to make it comfortable then I'll have to go with option B, an Infiniti G35. The G35 is comfortable, but not as sweet-sounding, or as fast.

Finally, and I know this is really asking for everything, but is there a way to install a telescoping steering wheel? If not, I can live with it, as long as the other problems are resolved.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Headrest would have to be modified by an upholstery shop but it wouldn't be too hard. I don't think you can easily add a telescoping wheel though. Maybe if the GT500 had one you could use that but I don't think it does. As for cutting the console - you can do most anything with a dremel tool. Not sure how it would look but it's certainly possible.

I'd go to the dealer and have an extended sit in a GT just in case there's a difference from the V6 seats.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Well, one can modify just about anything but the ultimate question is whether it's worth it. As you noted when you rented one, the emergency brake handle is on the left side of the console thus making an successful mod virtually impossible.

The only advise that I have to offer is this: if you're not comfortable in a car, don't buy it lest you spend several years kicking yourself.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    cougar, if the glove doesn't fit ... don't buy. All the mods you're thinking of will probably be more trouble than they're worth. My advice: either take the car as it comes from the factory, or let it be. :shades:
    Ain't bashin' nothin', gz. I love this car, but while I can whip my ol' Accord 'round a dime, the GT is a truck by comparison. If Ford ever replaces the solid rear axle with independent 4-wheel suspension, (and smooths out the manual tranny a bit), the Mustang will be a complete winner. :shades:
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    Comparing front wheel drive with a 300 hp rear wheel drive? Can you throttle steer an accord? I have a 300 hp IRS rear wheel drive Jag and an 06 GT and I don't want for an IRS on the stang, It's heritage is what it is "Muscular" not a vette.
    That's interesting because all the journalists that tested the stang on the track said that they couldn't believe it was a solid rear axle given how it handled. The C&D guy even said he looked under the car just to make sure they didn't give him a ringer with IRS.

The difference between the Vette, Stang and Accord have more to do with the cars themselves (weight, springs, etc.) than with the rear axle.
  • cougarjunkiecougarjunkie Member Posts: 51
    I hear ya, but I love the looks and sound of the Mustang so much that I want to see if I can tweek it into comfortability. I recently learned that the seats on the V8 are a little different than the ones on the V6, so I'm actually going to rent a V8 this weekend, and see how it feels. Since Hertz relaxed their requirement about having airline tickets to rent the Shelby GTH, I'm going to rent it locally. Should be fun.

The GTH has 25 more horsepower than the GT, but it shouldn't be that noticeable if I end up buying the GT, right?
    Absolutely untrue, kirby. Right from its introduction, the solid rear axle of the redesigned Mustang has been its most controversial feature, its Achilles heel. I bought the car with a full knowledge of this, its major weakness. Reviewers have been kind in saying that Ford did a nice job of working around the limitations of the solid axle (which is true), but nobody, repeat nobody, in the countless reviews I've read (including Car & Driver, Edmunds, Road & Track, Consumer Reports , cars.com., various newspapers, etc.) ever, not for one second, looked under the car in wonder to make sure it didn't have independent rear suspension. Where do you get this stuff? ;)
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Don't you have any knowledge of the history of the Mustang? You don't need to start stretching for weaknesses in the Mustang, just buy the Vette and be happy. I have also read some favorable articles regarding the solid rear axle. ;)
    Absolutely TRUE. I think you're just trying to come up with some excuse to justify getting the vette. The only people griping about the axle are the ones who haven't driven the vehicle (ok, except for you). All the test drives confirm what C&D said below.

Gone is the nervousness of Mustangs of yore, and gone is the oh-so-annoying head toss that has historically been the trademark of live rear axles. In fact, every C/D tester peered at least once under our GT's rump to ensure there weren't a couple of pricey half-shafts whizzing around in there. You only notice the live axle at step-off, when you turn 90 degrees while simultaneously applying major throttle. Then the rear end briefly binds and skitters outward a few inches, feeling a trifle awkward, momentarily confused. It's amazing what conscientious engineers can do these days with solid axles.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/8778/ford-mustang-gt-page2.html
  • jschmiidtjschmiidt Member Posts: 10
    Well guys and gals... it's been almost 3 weeks since my purchase and I still have a grin from ear to ear every time I drive this car.

So far so good. It's turning lots of heads and I love the way this car drives for a muscle car. And that's exactly what it is. It's just not going to handle as well as a vette or even a 350Z, but I knew that going into this deal.

Question as to upgraded exhaust... Has anyone here put on Flowmaster American Thunders with no further exhaust mods? Was wondering how they sounded.

I may be crazy, but sounds to me like the '07 already sounds a little louder than '05's and '06's I've heard; maybe they were automatics. Anyone know of any changes made as to what's put on at the factory?

Also, seems to me that there's been a lot of discussion here regarding vettes and shelbys. Aren't there forums for those? Not that my feelings are hurt, but no one even gave their thoughts on my recent purchase and post #2250. Eveyone's too busy talking about vettes and shelbys.

Anyway, love this car. Here's a photo of one that looks just like mine..same wheels and all.

Regards!

Ummm, "a trifle awkward, momentarily confused," sounds to me like damning with faint praise.

Fine, if some of you guys want the outdated technology of a solid rear axle, you can have it. Maybe you'd also prefer a 4-barrel carb instead of fuel injection? Or maybe an AM radio instead of a 6-CD changer?

I highly recommend you sit in the back seat on a long trip (I have). You feel every bump right up your spine.

For me, unlike the rabid loyalists and jealous detractors here, it isn't either/or, the Vette or the Mustang. They're both great, only the Vette is far superior, as well it should be, given its substantially higher price. In fact, the C06 ate up the GT 500 Cobra in Car & Driver. You can only imagine what it can do to a regular GT, or what the Z06 could do to both. :shades:
  • topoffgttopoffgt Member Posts: 14
    Why would an adult sit in the back of a Mustang on a long trip? At least it HAS a back seat if needed. To each his/her own--if you want IRS and two seats for $7k over MSRP--go for it! Sell the stang and stick to the vette forums.

Why all the bickering over the Mustang vs. the ZO6? Few would argue that it is a superior car at a substantially higher price. I doubt anyone has tried to return their Mustang GT to the dealership because they thought it had IRS! I do consider myself a "rabid loyalist" when it comes to my 06 GT convertible. As far as bang for the buck goes-- I'm happy!
    Why would an adult sit in the back of a Mustang on a long trip?

Must have missed that part of the owners manual which prohibits adults from riding in back.

Mustang vs Z06: one man's ceiling is another man's floor. :shades:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    i use the 90/50 rule. mustang is 90% as good as the vette for 50% of the price. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    90%? Not even close. You're comparing apples and oranges, an American muscle car to the one and only true American sports car. :shades:
    unless it goes to the track, i think i win. if i parked my mustang in the same parking as the vette, i'll get at least 90% of the gawkers as the vette. :)
    just until you have to buy tires. then it will be more like 90-40.
    RE; JSchmidt....

My kid who picked up his 06 GT 3 weeks before I did put the Ford racing exhaust on it and keeps naggin me to do the same. Loves the 4 inch outlets and even deeper sound, now a definite head turner. Waiting till the holidays to do the same with shorty headers as well (which requires reflashing the computer). He had the an authorized FoMoCo racing dealership in Atlanta install his to avoid any warranty grief.....$379 for the exhaust plus $80 to install.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    On a recent vacation to California, I had the pleasure of renting an '06 Mustang Convertible V6! What you say? Is somebody actually going to waste the time of fellow edmunds posters who usually reserve postings for GTs and comparos with Vettes? Yes I am.

Lets start with the positives. The car was Baby Blue with a Black top and a gray leather interior. It was handsome enough to draw some "nice car" comments from car crazy Californians. I started the car up and was surprised to hear a really nice exhaust note. The car sounds like a Jr. V8 as opposed to a raspy V6 found in other Ford products. Acceleration was adequate and the 5 speed automatic seemed to pick a gear and stick with it as opposed to hunting for gears. It did well going up and down the streets of San Francisco. Merged well onto the Freeway and had no trouble summoning 2 gear downshifts to pass people. Freeway ride was quite comfortable. We drove From San Francisco down to San Diego and not once did I feel sore or tired from driving. My wife who is over 8 months pregnant found the car to be comfortable. We drove for probably about 95% of the time with the top down and were able to hold normal conversations on the freeway cruising between 75 & 85 mph with no problems.

Now the negatives: I understand that I was not driving a GT, but the suspension was way to soft and floaty once the road turned curvy. The brakes felt mushy. The interior plastics and dash materials were just down right atrocious (Ford should really be ashamed of themselves). I also had a gripe with the trunk. Granted it is a Convertible and luggage space is NOT a priority. For some odd reason the trunk slopes UPWARD towards the front of the car! I was able to fit one large rolling suitcase (barely) and some other small bags in the trunk while our other large duffle bag had to be put in the trunk.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

If the opportunity presents itself, checkout Hertz and a GT500 they are advertising as being available. I have an 06 Torch Red GT with a 5 speed. Nothing like popping 2nd and watching (and listening) to the fun. My 12 y/o fits in the back (not the room of our Expedition, but no complaints so far) so a baby seat will do fine (and they put anchors in to secure from the top).

Thanks for the review.
    thanks for the review. about the handling the curves; rentals a famous for having low tire pressures.
    my other quesiton is, how many comfort stops did you have to make with your 8 months along expectant wife?
    any guesses on gas mileage?
    sounds like a great trip overall. :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Even taking into account the rentals low tire pressure, it was still sloppy. Steering was decent though. My wife's a trooper, we didn't have to make too many pit stops. We didn't drive all the way through in one shot. We did San Francisco to Pacific Grove. Pacific Grove to the Hearst Castle. Hearst Castle to Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara to Newport Beach (purposely skipped over LA LA land). And finally Newport Beach to San Diego. I didn't keep track of gas mileage. The cheapest gas I paid for was $3.15 9/10 right off the end of the 8 Freeway in Pacific Beach and the most expensive was $3.69 9/10 6 miles south of the Hearst Castle. California is a beautiful state. Too bad my job and the Yankees aren't out there!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

vertical3,
    Originally I was thinking of the Ford Racing exhaust or Borla, but I've heard that Flowmaster gives the classic muscle car sound. I can purchase on the web for $288 and have been quoted $80 to install from Midas. Supposedly they sound great with not too much interior cabin resonance. Like I said, I wish I could find someone who's installed them to verify.

On other forums, I've read where people have put on certain exhausts and found them to be too loud with too much resonance. Seems they wanted to go with same brands they put on the older model GT's (pre 2005), and due to the fact that the new GT's mufflers are behind the axle, way at the rear, with little tail pipe... it's causing more roar than they bargained for.

As for shorty headers on these, the exhaust manifold on the new GT's is already designed like shorty headers... not like the old design with 4 seperate tubes on each side going into a "log". The Ford Racing shorties will provide higher flow though. The stock exhaust already breathes pretty damn good. Some people are putting on X-pipes only to find it gives them a higher pitch they didn't want. The stock H-pipe gives the lower pitched sound familiar to those who love the classic sound.

For me.. I'm not looking to do many mods. Just the exhaust and maybe a cold air induction.

Again, if anyone has put on these Flowmasters... let me know.

Thanks!

• zlskrszlskrs Member Posts: 9
    I'm on the hunt for an 07 GT convertible and I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the handling differences between the 17" and 18" wheels. The 18s have a slightly lower profile tire which I'd think would result in better handling, although perhaps not noticeable unless on the track. I'm thinking the best bang for the buck might be to go with the 17s and replace the stock all-seasons with summer tires. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    You're right about only noticing the difference on the track. Not to mention the greater choice and cheaper prices of the 17" wheels. I think a good summer tire will improve performance better than just going to 18's. They'll also ride better when you're not at the track. Once you get into 18/19/20+ you're just doing it for looks. NASCAR still uses 15" wheels.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    NASCAR still uses 15" wheels.

Yeah but they are riding on 8 tires instead of 4 for saftey so I don't think the size of their rims directly related to better handling. Rather the two tire on each wheel setup calls for a smaller diameter rim. Surely they don't need 18 or 19 inch wheels because the tires are so good which is the point you were making, but there are other reasons which I thought some might find interesting too. ;)
    sounds like a great trip, and thanks for the update.
    enjoy that full night's sleep. you are going to be going without it for a while in a month or so!
    i'm pretty sure those mufflers just bolt on. check it out, and maybe save yourself $80.
    I think they used 15" wheels even before they had inner liners. Also remember they use air pressure to make handling adjustments and the larger tires probably give them more latitude. Not to mention they probably resist overheating better.

But I still don't think you'd see them going to 18" wheels for better handling.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    But I still don't think you'd see them going to 18" wheels for better handling.

I don't either but I think it would help with durability. Less rollover, less surface area for junk on the track to hit, etc.

I will most likely be opting for the 18" polished bullitt style wheels when I order later this year but the harsh roads here (Even Detroiters say our roads are bad :surprise: ) are keeping the option open for the 17s. :sick:
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Yep, they bolt right on. You don't even need to jack the car up to do it; unless you're really fat and can't fit underneath! ;)
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Instructions suggest welding. Is this necessary?
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I have a 06 V6 convertible, it sure does a good immitation of a V8 sound track. It also is fast about 7 seconds 0 to 60. However I have the pony package version, with the GT suspension set-up like rear anti-roll bars and stiffer settings and the GT 17 inch wheels w/ Pirelli P-Nero 235/55/17. This car handles great like a GT, the brakes are not as good as GT, and acceleration slows down after 70 mph. Everthing else is pretty much in your blog.
    Welding will guarantee against exhaust leaks or the mufflers getting loose. But they can be successfully bolted in place without any future issues if done securely.
    A muffler shop would probably weld them for you in a few minutes for just a few bucks.
    I realize they bolt on, but like previously mentioned instructions "strongly recommend welding all slip-fit connections".

Question though.... If the connections are welded, can the welds be easily "broken" in case of future replacement? Don't want to have to have anything cut.

I was thinking of having them bolted on and then welded after I determined I like them. Still haven't heard them in person or discussed with anyone who's installed these Flowmasters.

As for installation, I think I'll just get them done for the $80. Instructions talk about possible necessary adjustments to the H-pipe if the muffler tips end up out of alignment. I'd rather someone else deal with it if problems arise. Besides, laying on my back installing these things in the 95 degree heat, is not my idea of a fun Saturday.
    Check some other Mustang forums. There are plenty of sound clips of them, even on Flowmaster's own website. I've heard back-to-back clips of stock vs. Flowmaster, and the Flowmasters sound exactly like the stock ones, only slightly louder. The overall tone is identical, so if you're looking for a deep, throaty rumble, you might want to look elsewhere. The Flowmasters for the new Mustang sounds nothing like the old American Thunder 40-series does on the previous Mustang.
    the only reason i can see to get them welded, is to prevent them from being unbolted without your permission.
    Pretty funny- Did you actually look?
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Just a thought. People have actually lost HP going with Flowmasters. Is there any dyno's from Flowmaster showing actual gain? I'm personally against a chamber muffler truly being called performance. The whole point is to free up flow and sending exhaust through chambers does not exactly do this. I went with Borla because of quality and lifetime warranty. Plus their design really does improve flow, if you can look at the back of the muffler and see out the front that is a good thing....

DW
    2006 GT. JLT II CAI, Long Headers, X-pipe, SCT 2 Evo custom tune, Cats, Borla, Hurst, Sequential. 382BHP/328RWHP
    I can't believe you picked up 82HP (62HP) with just some exhaust changes and a tune. Something seems fishy w/ your posted HP numbers. :confuse: An X-pipe does pretty much nothing but change the sound. The mufflers might be good for 5HP, and that leaves the long tubes, intake, cats and tune. All told, I'd say maybe 45 flywheel HP, but I could be wrong.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "I can't believe you picked up 82HP (62HP) with just some exhaust changes and a tune."

Well, obviously you need to find a shop with great skill at tuning Mustangs.....and great skill with a dyno doesn't hurt either.... :surprise:
    The stock GT already puts out about 320 hp (regardless of the advertised numbers) so that helps a lot.
    Got mine in the mail today! They look sweet, better than the aftermarket ones. They only have four holes for mounting and each hole has a rubber gromet, only thing now is to decide if it needs to be attached at the front of the throttle body or just put it on with wing nuts at the rear of the cover where it fits over the existing studs? Anyone attached one yet?
    I put mine on this past weekend. Be aware that the metal spacers inserted into the two rubber grommets on the front have holes that are too small for the throttle body bolts to fit through. You can just remove them, but it makes the cover bend in slightly in front when you tighten the bolts. I may try to drill out the spacers, or maybe just buy some ss washers instead.

Also, be careful when you tighten the back two bolts onto the plenum. I cracked it slightly on the right side at the mounting point, but it's not noticeable.
    I forgot to mention that this cover can be ordered directly from Ford at any dealership for about $67.00 plus tax. They might be on back-order, but mine arrived in about a week. Some people on ebay are asking over $100 each.
    I paid $59.82 including shipping, I don't think the ebay ones are going to get $150 anymore, now if the cold air kits would come down in price!
  • icantfly591icantfly591 Member Posts: 13
    Hey if you supercharged a 06 mustang, how much hp would you get to the rear wheel's? And do you guy's know any good mustang performance website's?