Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    According to Vortech you would be at 330 at the flywheel; 8-9 psi. Just remember that so much of actual numbers depend on your tuner. Tuning is so very important when it comes to superchargers and bolt on mods, but particularly forced induction be it supercharged or turbo.

As far as the sites go just search under google "mustang performance parts" and there are a million of them. Ebay is a nice start as well.

Good luck,
    DW
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Was he talking about supercharging a V6 or an '06?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Not sure but he's posted the same question about a 350Z, GTO and a Grand Prix.
    "Not sure but he's posted the same question about a 350Z, GTO and a Grand Prix."

:confuse:

Odd. Just how many cars does he have?
    I think he's shopping for maximum RWHP.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    I think he's shopping for maximum RWHP.

kind of a problem on a grand prix, no? ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Oops! :P
    Yeah... oops on my part as well. I somehow read V6 not 06. So I guess a good answer would would be about 330 on the V6 and 450 or so on the GT, or course depending on the supercharger and amount of boost/tuning.

DW
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Does anyone know how to get in contact with the engineering department at Ford? I have some questions for them on a potential future project I have in mind (when I win the big lottery).

I'm sure you're all familiar with the Shelby Cobra concept car (NOT the GT500) and the V10 that was used in it. I'm also sure that you all remember that they did some testing of the engine in a previous generation Mustang GT. What I want to know is if one of those engines is available for purchase and can it be installed in the '05+ Mustang GT's engine bay without re-engineering the engine bay and front suspension.

I know it's based on the modular engine architecture, so I'm thinking it would probably work. A bigger problem is that the Cobra concept used a rear mounted transaxle. I wonder if that V10 will mate to a regular T-3650 or T-56 transmission. I'm not concerned about transmission longevity at this time, just whether or not they will mate up.

Now that I've told all of you my idea, I'll be sending out Confidentiality Statements for each of you to sign and return!

Anyway, my original question is how can I contact Ford Engineering?
  • stevefxstevefx Member Posts: 2
    I am close to ordering a GT convertible and want to know what its like in the bad weather. I know anything over 1 inch of snow will keep me home, but how about RAIN??

Someone told me that the GT's wide tires, front end weight (V8) distribution, high torque, etc. make it a problem in the rain. How do these cars do in the wet in terms of handling, braking, etc.? I assume the traction control will help with taking off from a standstill, but does the car slide when braking or cornering? I know I can't push it in the rain but I don't want to be slipping and sliding when it rains.

Regarding the convertible top -I hear it's pretty good on water-tightness. Any feedback on that?

And while I am asking - - just how bad is it in the snow? I paln on the 17 inchers with the standard "all season performance" tires so I doubt I'll have much grip but can it ahndle an inch or two or do flurries send me home?

THANKS
    You'll be fine.
    As taylord said you will be fine. It is normal for dealers to cheap put and put a bit cheaper tire on. I have been through many heavy rain situations, water on the road and no problems at all. Just have to slow down a bit when there is a lot of water on the road. Mine came with the Michelin tires 18's. As far as snow goes I would recommend picking up a good pair of snow tires and just put them on (rear) during the winter. Traction control does a pretty good job.

DW
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I would recommend snow tires on all 4 wheels, just on the back 2 can cause handling problems.
    And you can go with a smaller 16" winter tire (215/65R16) and wheel package instead of the much more expensive 17" or 18" wheels. You just need to be sure the overall diameter of the tire is the same.
    "You just need to be sure the overall diameter of the tire is the same."

Does all of the standard brake hardware (rotors/calipers) on a GT fit within a 16" rim? Just curious...
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    That's a good question. Standard rims on a Mustang are 17" so 16" winters might not fit anymore.
    "Standard rims on a Mustang are 17" so 16" winters might not fit anymore."

I'll bet the guys at the tirerack would know, since they sell winter wheel/tire packages made for specific models. But if a 16" rim would fit, then it would make the most sense (also, from what little I know of winter driving, a narrower high profile tire is preferable to the standard wide low profile tire).

edit:

I just checked tirerack.com. For the Mustang GT they only list 17" rims/tires in their winter selection. They list 16" setups for the V6 Mustang.

Does the GT have larger rotors/calipers than the V6?
    Oops - forgot about the brakes. It is possible they're larger and the 16's won't fit. But it's worth investigating due to the potential cost savings.

16" wheels are standard on V6 mustangs.
    Does the GT have larger rotors/calipers than the V6?

Yes. I'm 99% sure of that.
    "Yes. I'm 99% sure of that."

yep, I figured the same thing.

Seems as though it's a long shot that 16" rims would fit.

I ran into this (but the exact OPPOSITE 'problem') with my '66 fastback. I was looking into upgrading to a much larger brake system (from either Baer or Wilwood) but wanted to keep my period correct 15" Torq Thrust rims (probably just me but I think that big rims on a early model Mustang just looks stooopid). All the aftermarket systems I looked at would have required at least a 16" rim. I eventually settled for some upgraded front calipers from SSB and a rear disk brake setup from the old SVO Mustang.....and kept my 15" rims.
    (probably just me but I think that big rims on a early model Mustang just looks stooopid).

Not just you. ;) They only seem to look right with small rims and taller rubber IMO too.
  • vertical3vertical3 Member Posts: 43
    My 06 Red GT (when I get a chance to take it out) takes me back 25 years and gives me a well deserved kick of testosorone. Only thing missing is Hef letting me borrow the "Triplets"......
    My 06 Red GT (when I get a chance to take it out) takes me back 25 years and gives me a well deserved kick of testosorone.

So maybe Floyd was taking spins in Mustang GT in between stages? Yeah, that's the ticket.......
    "My 06 Red GT (when I get a chance to take it out) takes me back 25 years..."

Try 35 years.

Unless you're comparing your Mustang GT to something on the market in 1981. Personally, I've got a lot more respect for the current Mustang than that..... ;)
  • texastangtexastang Member Posts: 7
    Edmunds and a few other reviews have paned the V6. I have rented a V6 hardtop and convertible both with automatic transmissions. I can't find anything wrong with the engine other than noise coming in from the engine compartment. Does anyone know what is so wrong with the V6 engine?

I understand there are clutch packs needed to fix rear ends. Is this for the limited slip rear end?

The reason I am concerned about the V6 is that I am thinking of buying a 2007 V6 premium convertible. I know the V8 offers more power. The convertible is heavier and has softer springs, so you would lose handling and speed due to the extra weight even if I purchased the V8.

I am also considering the V8 hardtop in a manual, since I was fortunate to actually own a 1967 289 GT 2+2 Fastback with a 4-speed years ago when I was a kid.

On my 67 tang, I had dual exhaust with Cherry Bombs. Has anyone put these on the new Tangs?
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Drove a rental V6, own a GT Premium w/ manual. Two different cars, as far as I'm concerned. The manual GT is a true muscle car, the V6 ain't.
    Saw an article online about the Camaro being produced in Canada for '09 release. Sorry, ugly and overstated, nowhere as cool or natural as the Mustang.

Dudes complaining here about this, that, meanwhile paying less than I did a year ago for the same Mustang.

No one is ever satisfied.
  • rocketman67rocketman67 Member Posts: 82
    'OVERSTATED' is a good term for the new '09 Camaro.
    Personally those who like the '09 are just buying it for the name. Now where have I heard that before........can somebody say 'GTO'? Very short lived if I must say so! So is the '09 Camaro facing the same dooms day count down clock?... :sick:
    Nah. The Camaro will be around for a while again. But it still won't dethrone the Mustang as America's favorite Pony Car/sport coupe.
  • lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    rental v6's dont have the pony package which adds suspension handling to the car.

It will handle pretty much like a GT except for the horsepower with that pkg add on.

there is nothing wrong with a V6 except for GT snobs. There's always another better model release so the standard GT is 2nd from the bottom now instead of the top behind GT-H, Shelby GT, and GT500 and probably the Boss went it comes out.
    except for the horsepower

"Except," in other words, for the most important element of a muscle car, the muscle.

You might also consider the added torque; and the twin exhausts and different "note". The tranny may be different, too.

As for the recent upgrades, all well and good. They weren't available when I bought the car. I got the hottest stock Mustang available, and that wasn't easy.

People ain't payin' an extra $6-8k for a GT just for leather seats. The GT is a different car, a distant cousin to the V6.

Signed

GT "Snob" ha ha. :shades:
    the OP didnt ask about MUSCLE. You threw that in. He wanted to know if what he read about a V6 was true regarding what was wrong with the engine and handling.

The OP is well aware of the horsepower difference.

No reason to trash talk a v6 unless you feel the need. To 99.9% of the population they cant tell the difference by looking at it so monetarily you paid too much for the same look and only 80hp more.

Try reading the post and offering the info he requested.
    To 99.9% of the population they cant tell the difference by looking at it so monetarily you paid too much for the same look and only 80hp more.

Oh, I see, you drive a Mustang because of how other people see it. Excuse me, but I don't.

Funny, the GT, not the V6, is used in all the Mustang TV ads.

I would bet the Vette Z06 looks just like the C06 to "99.9% of the population," which, according to your criteria, eliminates any real difference between the two. Accordingly, anyone spending the extra $30k+ for a Z ("only" 100 HP more) is wasting their money. Interesting.

Somehow missing from this conversation is performance.

Just to restore some perspective, the big hoopla about the redesigned Mustang is its resurrection of the American muscle car. Er, the V6 is not a muscle car. :shades:
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    It's about the "resurrection" of an American icon, not specifically the "muscle car".

"Back in the day", I'll bet more I6 Mustangs were sold than V8's.

It's also interesting to note the first new car I ever bought was an '85 Mustang GT. It was rated at 220 HP. The current V6 is rated at 210 HP, and this is a more conservative rating than the '85, so it's not a stretch to say that they are the same horsepower.

Does the '85 GT qualify as a "muscle car"?
    The V6 does not handle or perform like the GT. For one, the V6 doesn't have a rear sway bar and I believe the one it has in the front is smaller than the one on the GT. Also the GT has a firmer suspension and bigger, better brakes (in the rear). And the HP difference is 90, not 80. But if you want to go on non-"conservative" ratings, the difference is 100+ HP because it's widely reported that the GT is putting out between 320 and 325 HP stock.

The GT is a totally different pony from the V6 as the GT500 is a totally different pony from the GT. Although I've heard nothing but good things about the V6 and it's performance, it's no GT.
    Slight correction - a V6 without the Pony Package won't handle as good as the GT. The Pony Package adds most of the GT handling package to the V6.

There's no need to debate which one is better - they're both great in their own ways and both have their pros and cons.
  • texastangtexastang Member Posts: 7
    My concerns were: if I purchased the convertible with the V8, would it be a waste of money, since the convertible would weight more due to added bracing. Also the softer springs would affect cornering and performance. Would I be better off saving money getting the V6 in a convertible since I could not get the performance I could get in a coupe with the V8.

I had the tubular Cherry Bombs on my 1967 289 GT 2+2, and I liked how they sounded. I wanted to know if anyone had put these on their new Mustangs and how they liked the sound.
    There's not a huge performance difference between the GT coupe and GT convertible. There's minimal additional bracing for the convertible. Remember, the S197 was designed for convertible duty from the drawing board.
    Definitely NOT a waste of money if you appreciate power and handling. The extra weight and softer springs won't make a huge difference.

OTOH a V6 vert w/pony package would handle great and be significantly cheaper if you can give up the acceleration and sound of the V8.
    Sorry Pirate, but the GT is not a muscle car. It requires a lot more hp to be classified a muscle car. It is a sports car. And again the OP wasnt asking about performance but reliability and handling. And it seems he has the info he was seeking. I enjoyed the debate.

"Just to restore some perspective, the big hoopla about the redesigned Mustang is its resurrection of the American muscle car. Er, the V6 is not a muscle car"
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    The GT is not a Muscle Car??? Better alert Muscle car magazine and many others.

Does this mean that the Vette is a Muscle Car (more HP than the GT) and not a sports car??
    A convertible top adds about 80 lbs to the rear, which improves the front/rear weight ratio and theoretically the perfomance. Thus a convertible top shouldn't dissuade you from getting a GT. :shades:
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    My advice is to drive both of them (v6 and GT) and see which one puts a bigger smile on your face! It's really more about what the car say's about you than you about it.
    Good luck finding a GT Premium w/ manual for a test drive. :shades:
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I know a dealer with 2, but I can't say the name. They are out there, call around.

Mark
  • blackcherryblackcherry Member Posts: 1
    I went to the Ford Dealer Parts department and the guy looked at me like I had four heads, do you have the part number for the plenum cover?
  • topoffgttopoffgt Member Posts: 14
    7R3Z*6A949*AA is the part number on my receipt for the plenum cover. The price was $67.85
  • mustangstevemustangsteve Member Posts: 2
    I bought a GT Premium convertible 2 weeks ago, had been shopping it for a month. I am in WI and there were a bunch of GT premiums with MT, they are not that hard to come by.
    Not here in Northern Calif. In fact, the local dealer, where I got my GT, doesn't keep any in stock for very long. He parks every GT he gets out in front, balloons attached to the antenna. Invariably, every car is gone within a week.
  • 06v6lover06v6lover Member Posts: 4
    Ford sells a neoprene pad for the center console to cushion your leg i am 6'4" and i got tired of the pain in my leg. I saw it in an accessory catalog at the dealership. hope this helps