Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Dodge Ram

Comments

• RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    I don't know that they are built in vin sequence or not. That might make to much sense. Mine is to be built in St. Louis. A week ago monday I was told it would come by truck. This past monday I was told it would go by rail from St. Louis to Tenn. And then to Ks. So I guess its hard to predict how long shipping will take. ... My trade-in (97 Z71) has 54,000 on its original tires. I been driving my wifes Camero more lately soas the tires would last. After a trip to the Chiopractor last week I said to heck with it. I'm driving the truck. Don't matter what brand of truck they all allow the driver to sit more errect. But the biggest thing is a truck is less stressfull on my back getting in and out than that durn Camero. ... I'm starting to think about accesseries again. Didn't seem worth looking for a while. Nerf tubes, bedliner, rolltop cover are high on my list. also need to get my 5th wheel hitch and brake controller installed. But I think a few miles should be put on the truck first. I have a roll-n-lock bed cover on my Z71. I may get another one or Specialty Covers Electric rollup cover. My wife has trouble with the Roll-n-lock cause she's to short to reach it. Rollup covers are just the ticket to go with a fifth wheel hitch for me. Hey, am I getting enthused again? Don't want to pour the Champane before it arrives. That may jinx the whole deal(G). Rich
  • dekingkdekingk Member Posts: 44
    I just noticed in my own post # 220 that I jumped my dates ahead 1 month. I really did order my truck on 3/21 and have been given a build date of 4/12.
  • ynotyellow1ynotyellow1 Member Posts: 4
    hey guys,i've been following this site since feb. 26 when i ordered my 2500 quad slt lb v10 5spd sport 4x4 in white. its been 6 weeks,and still no vin #. they told me 6 to 8 weeks(not bad i thought)but things are not looking good.my dealer(laural valley motors in latrobe pa.)
    said that the 5 spd is on hold,this was 2 weeks ago.also i wanted solar yellow, but dodge would'nt help me out. i hope everyone keeps posting so that we all have some idea on whats going on with our orders.
  • ramman2001ramman2001 Member Posts: 4
    Well my wait is finally over. I picked it up from the dealer on Friday 4/7. It is a beautiful flame red quad. I am so glad I waited for this truck because there were times during my whole experience when I thought about settling for something off of the lot. What a mistake that would have been. All of you waiting hang in there I assure you it is well worth it. Good luck. I hope all of your trucks arrive soon and that you are all as satisfied as I am.
  • firemandavefiremandave Member Posts: 58
    I talked to DC yesterday and I'm still D-1. Now they say it's scheduled to be built next week (4/17) - although it still has an estimated ship date of 4/11! She opened a corporate file for me. I'm not sure why - I didn't ask her to. Maybe it's so they can track how often I call them. I actually don't call them much - only when I think there could be an update in my status. (I've probably called them 4 times since it went D-1 on 3/23.)
    Nascar6 and Richinks: What are you guys hearing about yours?
    I haven't called this week. I'm afraid of getting a response like yours. Was going to try tomorrow. Still hear different stories as to when their files are updated. I've heard only on Mondays and three times a week. So I might not hear anything new. I've started checking the railway to see if it shows up but as of early this morning BNSF did not show they had it yet. Remember the shipdate is an estimate. It could ship earlier(sure) or later. Rich
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Repeat after me .........thank you sir (dc) may I have another
    CORPORATE hazing
  • nascar6nascar6 Member Posts: 113
    I think from now on I'll just read your status progress. Don't bother to call them Rich, you'll get the same report. I called them today and got (it seems word-for-word) the same thing that you were told, Dave. Even the biz about the "corporate file". They must read a script. Still D1. I stated that it's been longer than the twelve days that it takes up to in D1. They called my dealer while they put me on hold to find out what the delay is. Came back on the line and said that the person they needed to ask was (of course) out to lunch. Told me to contact them myself and have them ask their distribution contact person to see what the hold up is. Blah, Blah, Blah!
    I will TRY to find out something tomorrow, but as you know by now that doesn't mean I'll know anymore than I already do. My truck 'estimatedly' shipped today-- yeah, right!

Hey ramman, how long did you wait? Inquiring minds want to know.
    I called the Customer Assistance Center this morning and was told I still have an estimated ship date of 4/11. I asked if there was any way to tell if it really shipped and she said no. I asked what my build date was and she said the system doesn't show build dates. But it should be built 10 - 14 days after going D1. I told her I've been D1 much longer than that. No response. I then asked if she knew how it would ship and she didn't know. But she thought all trucks leave the plant by rail. I also checked the BNSF web site and my truck still doesn't show up on their system. Net is I don't know anymore now than before I called. And the answers I received don't jive with answers I have got before or what others have got. ... Rich
    I just hung up with the dealer. Said that truck has been built, because it's on their manifest sheet. This sheet tells them to expect shipment soon so that they can make room on their lot to receive the vehicles being brought. I was told that it is in transit, but don't know where it is. It could go to a hub of some sort to be grouped with other vehicles that are going to my dealership. So my truck could go to Cincinnati or some other place, be unloaded, and be grouped with neons, durangos, stratuses....whatever my dealer is supposed to get. Then it gets delivered here with the other cars. Now, I'll get busy on various transportation web sites to find my truck. SUPPOSEDLY, I should see my truck in 2-5 days. I can almost hear that clackity-clack sound of the Cummins!

Pessimistically speaking, this could all be BS and could still be D1 with shipment in late April or May. But who's a pessimist anyway?

nascar6
    Great news! You're providing a glimmer of hope for us all. Did you find it on any transport lists? I called my dealer this morning, but I had to leave a message with his sec. I didn't hook up with him because I was out of town the rest of the day. I did have a message when I got home from my credit union that said my dealer faxed my invoice to them today. That could mean that something is happening, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out.
    I think waiting for this thing is taking years off my life!
    No Dave, I can't find it on either UPRR or BNSF RR. I really don't expect to see it show up on a rail tracking anyway. My arrgh comes from the site I've been expecting to find it on. Cassens.com is not working now so if they have it aboard one of their hauling rigs, I can't tell. :(

nascar6
    My truck still does not show on BNSF. I tried UPRR and it requires a number consisting of 1 to 4 alpha charactors followed by 1 to 6 numeric . I don't have such a number. Cassens requires the VIN plus the dealer number. Does anyone know how to find the dealer number short of calling the dealer? I guess I will remove my bazzoka Tube bass speaker today and look at what it takes to remove the brake controller, wiring for 5th wheel and the 5th wheel base. I already told the dealer I was removing them when we struck the deal. ... Rich
  • ccogdillccogdill Member Posts: 2
    I have read a couple of the topics you guys have been talking about. Like trying to track your truck and so on. I ordered my truck (3500 quad cab 4x4)on 3/20 and was built by 4/3 and as of now it is at the rail head. I would like to know if you have a sure way to track it yet. It sounds like mine is making pretty good time. Of course this is all according to the dealer. How did you get the vin #s?
    Alright Dave, no fair getting happy on us!
    Someone is pulling my chain. Pick one between the dealer, 1-800, or transport companies. The cassens site is working again, but I get the sorry message again. This means one of two things. One, they are transporting it, and some lazy so-and-so hasn't done their job and entered it in their database, or two, they don't even have it. BTW Rich, unless you are psychic or know someone who really is, the dealer # will have to come from the dealer. You can double check them by clicking on dealer display and entering the # they gave you. It should return a result showing your dealer. The receptionist even knew the dealer # when I called. The UPRR thing might be like this. It says to enter 1-4 letters then 1-6 #'s. So I entered The letter before the last 6 numbers, in my case "J" then the last 6 numbers. Don't know if that's the way to do it, but the result tells me they don't have it either. Dave, if you see a flame red LB sport 2500, 4x4, send it on south to Louisville. I think Rich gets the "I've suffered (suffering) the most" award, not me.

nascar6
    I did mean Rich when I said you.
    Mike, I think you hit the nail on the head about the database not being up to date. They seem to be inconsistent at best in that regard. I got my Bedrug today. It looks nice all laid out in my livingroom. Now, if I only had a truck to put under it.......
  • dreveldrevel Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered my new truck and I see a lot of information about how to check and the codes, D1, etc. I am kind of a dummy at this. What do all of these mean? Where can I get the phone numbers to call for status?

Thanks
  • indyff83indyff83 Member Posts: 13
    Sorry I have been buried and not able to get on the computer too often. The beast is running great and has started to show some improvement in the mph with it just about getting 16 mpg combined driving. The only thing that has been bad was giving the state their money for the 9,000 lb category license plate, are you ready for this..... $465.80 for a year! While I caught up on my reading here I would say that some guys are about to get some new trucks. I will have to say that it is hard not to drive it almost every where we go. Fireman Dave what kind of cover did you order? I got an ARE and love it, the next thing I need to do is to build a lift for it in the garage so if I am by myself I can still get it off the truck. A buddy of mine built one I just need to get over to his place to see it. Let me know when the trucks get in boys!
    Kevin:
    I ended up ordering a Leer fiberglass tonneau cover. We decided we liked the look of that best. I know it will limit us some, but we'll mostly be using the box as a trunk. I also figure it will be easier to remove if necessary. Now I'm checking into tailgate locks. I'll probably get either the Pop'n'Lock manual one or the power one. I'll dodge (get it?) the high plate taxes by transferring my WI Firefighter plates off my minivan onto the truck (for a $5. transfer fee). Then I'll get car plates for the minivan. Total should cost me $50.
    15 minutes ago DC told me the truck was sent to the truck yard on Wed. They don't know if it's on a truck yet or not.
    drevel: Fritz's Ram Tech has good info on tracking.
    Try www.ecpe.vt.edu/~dfritz/ram_frame.html
    Just for laughs I called 1-800 today, and not at all to my surprise, they told me I'm D1. You know that status that you go into when they build your truck within some 12 day period. I wonder when they start counting days? They say D1 since 3/23. Hmmm, simple mathamatics tells me that's a total of 22 days or 16 business days. They keep saying their latest update is 3/23. Now they say I have an estimated ship date of,...here wait, give me that grain of salt first please, thanks, May 5th. Okay 1-800 people that probably monitor this site, you win! I promise not to call you anymore. Why would I? I can ask a homeless person an get just as much information. I'm putting all my hopes on what Tracy, my salesperson told me about it already being built.

Drevel,
    If you want to live a happier, less-stressful life, then don't even bother to call the 1-800 number. Read Rich's posts if you don't believe me. Those people are just as much in the dark as us. If they give you information, then how accurate is it? All they're going to do is give you dates that don't mean a thing. Just bother your dealer every couple of weeks if you must know the status. So far my dealer has given correct info up to now. I just hope they don't let me down with my latest status.

Dave, I LOL when I read where your bedrug was. You gotta great wife or what?

Kevin, ouch on the 9000# category plate. I hope mine's not that much. I'll tell them it's a 1/2 ton truck with 3/4 ton stickers!

nascar6
  • rpittet1rpittet1 Member Posts: 1
    After reading all you guys problems, I'm wondering if mine will be shipped when they say it will. I ordered the 2001 2500 v-10 QC SWB 4X4 SLT+ on 2/26/00. Called the 800# today and was told it is in D1 status and is scheduled for shipment on 4/25/00. Hope I get it on time. I did order the 3.55 lsd.
    My 2001 Garnet red ETH is on "SM" (stock market)status ....meaning I lost this new truck in the stock market this Past week oh well
  • comptimecomptime Member Posts: 19
    Indy what style ARE did u get? I sent e mail to the factory last month and they told me they should have a z series available for the 8 ft bed by summer....I have 1900 miles on my 01 4x4 quad V10 and my average has been 9.8 miles not bad I think.......Hang in there Rich
    Rich and Mike: Cover your eyes - my truck is here! I know, I know, I'm sorry! Anyway, the dealer called this morning and said it's here - but he wants to clean it up and fuel it up, etc..., so I won't pick it up until next week. My dealer has been great, so I figured I wouldn't hassle him on his desire to deliver it to me all nice and shiny. Besides, I couldn't reach my insurance agent today to get it covered. Of course you know I had to go over there and crawl around under it and take pictures of it. It's beautiful. I crawled under and saw the 3.54 stamp on the rearend and the LS fluid tag on it, so that worked out fine. I was also glad to see Michelins on it instead of Goodyears. Another nice thing about it is I can ditch the 800 number now.
    Mike: Remember, on Monday (at the same time it was actually being built) they told me it wouldn't be built until next week, so I would hope your latest info is bogus and yours is in transit too. I figure it only took 3 days from the factory to here since they told me it was built on Mon & Tue and went to shipping on Wed. I guess I got lucky.
    So, there it is, only 15 miles from my house, and I don't have the keys yet. Oh well, what's a few more days? I'll let you guys know how it is after I get it - that is if I can pry myself away from it long enough to get on the computer.
    Dave
    One down, two to go. Happy for you Dave. I remember when I first got my Daytona Shelby Z (present car) I was smiling so much that my cheeks hurt. I can only guess the feeling is similar. Well Rich, who will be next, you or me. We both are told the same BS from 1-800.

nascar6
    Mark Martin is the current points leader!
    Been gone for the weekend. No messages on my answering machine. Checked the two railroads and one carrier I heard about here. Nothing. Go to the dentist this morning. That will get my mind off it for a while. Will finish removing my amplified Bazoka tube from my current pickup today. ... I have been told two to three weeks to get my truck. If thats the case it must sit alot. Be one week tomorrow if it did get built. ... Rich
  • redram250redram250 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 3500 diesel with automatic transmission. On the first time pulling a 6 horse trailer up a pretty good hill, it wouldn't stay in a gear,it changed back and forth. I had Overdrive OFF. Anyone had a similar situation?
  • sayresayre Member Posts: 4
    HAVE A 2001 2500 DSL ORDERED GOT VIN # TODAY
    BUT AM UNABLE TO TELL WHERE IT WILL BE BUILT, THOUGHT THERE WAS LETTERS OR NUMBER CODES TO TELL
    WHETHER IT WILL BE BUILT IN MEXICO OR ST LOUIS.
    HAVE A BUILD DATE OF 05/02/00. IS THERE A PLACE
    I CAN CALL OR GO ON LINE TO FIND ANSWERS TO MY
    QUESTIONS. THANKS FOR ANY HELP..JOHN
    Comptime I am not sure of the series other than it looks the same as pictured on their web site. To be honest I found the best deal I could on a mfg that I had heard from. So far it is very nice and very water tight as I have to carry fire gear from my home house to another and no problems yet. Dave congrats I know you will love it! Comptime I'll try to get a model for you. Dave let me know if you are heaven as much as I am. Keep holding your breath nascar6! Kevin
    The first number of your VIN will tell you what country. 1=US, 2=Canada, 3=Mexico
    The 11th character is the assembly plant.
    A=Auburn Hills
    F=Newark
    G=Saltillo
    J=St. Louis North
    K=Pillette
    M=Lago Alberto
    S=Dodge City

nascar6
    Comptime it is an ARE L-series and I really like it. Kevin
    I called the 800 number this morning and was told my truck was in status F,(paint shop), on Friday and that it was probably status F by now. Last Thursday they said it was due to be built the 4th week of this month but my dealer had a build date of 4/12. I asked the young lady on the help line how to explain the difference and she said the dealer may get more up to date info. (Interesting). This makes me think I may have the truck earlier than expected since tomorrow will be 4 weeks since I ordered it. Firemandave's experience also gives me reason to hope.
  • sayresayre Member Posts: 4
    THEY ONLY GAVE ME A 8 DIGIT NUMBER BEGINNING WITH
    1J SO I WOULD ASSUME THAT WOULD BE USA-ST LOUIS,BUT MY 2000 HAS A 17 DIGIT NO SO I GUESS IT
    DEPENDS ON WHAT PART OF THAT 17 DIGITS THEY GAVE ME. AGAIN THANKS FOR THE HELP.
    Just picked it up at 6:30pm Central Time, and it's great! It barely fits in my garage height-wise (I had my wife watch so I didn't knock the clearance lights off), and 98% of it is in (the bumper sticks out). It now has about 45 miles on it. Runs and rides great. One defect so far: the dome lights and key ignition/headlight warning don't work with the driver's door open. The dome lights do work with the passenger door open, so there must be something wrong with the driver door switch or something. I'll poke around under the dash tomorrow. If I can't find the problem, I'll have the dealer fix it. Tomorrow I'll crawl under and check bolts, etc...
    I got it exactly 2 months to the day from order (2/17).
    Mike, and Rich: Hang in there. It'll happen eventually. I kind of feel a little guilty knowing you guys are still waiting.
    Sayre: The 8 digits are the last 8 of your whole (17 digit) VIN#. They use the last eight to identify your specific truck. J is St. Louis.
    Kevin: I skipped out on a fire meeting tonight (a rarity for me) in order to pick it up and cruise around with my wife and daughter (the back seat is great for her). She's 8. I did swing by the firehouse and show the guys, though. They were pretty impressed. That Cummins really runs smooth and pretty quiet - inside. Open the hood and that's another story!
    Called customer assistance a bit ago. Gal told me my truck is still in "D" status but on restriction for V10. I questioned when her data was last updated and she replied my record was last updated the second week of February. I was on restriction then. I asked again when her files were updated and she would not answer my question but said she would do further research and call me back. Sure. Of about 5 times customer assistance has told me they would do further research and call me back only once have they called back. I am going to call the dealer and see what the salesman says. But he's usually less helpful than the customer assistance center. meanwhile I don't show on Cassens or the two railways I search for shipping. ... Rich
    salesman returned my call, surprise, surprise. But the bad news is my truck has not been built and the V10 is on restriction. (six speed is also on restriction by the way). No new ship date has been assigned. ... Rich
    My best guess as to why someone would choose the V10 over Cummins would be:
    1st, the cost, almost $4000.00 difference.
    2nd, some people don't like the diesel noise, especially if they haven't actually driven a Cummins on the highway.
    3rd, some folks feel it is easier to buy gas than diesel and they are right. That is not an issue with most of us however.
    Thats my main reason. Cost isn't much of a problem even though I won't keep a truck long enough to save enough to offset its cost, I figure a diesel will resale for more. In 2000 when I ordered the truck, the v10 auto had more power than the diesel, but thats no longer the case. But I have a friend with one (98) and they have a ways to go on being quiet. But right now I would take one. I am going to a KC area dealer Friday to look at two 2001 diesel. But I'm waiting for more info now.
    Oh, and the v10 has better acceleration. But like i say, I'd take the diesel. Three local dealers only have 1 ton diesels in stock. Their 3/4's only have the v8. And my wife insist on the SLT+ which none of the local dealers stock. KC is about 3 1/2 hours and a couple of dealers have possible matches except there diesel which I would accept now. I will not take a white truck though which seems so dam popular I cann't understand why. ... Rich
  • ynotyellow1ynotyellow1 Member Posts: 4
    Just found out today, that my trucks on hold for the v10 also. as far as the diesel,im not towing any heavy trailers,$5000 seems high for an option with the same torque and less hp,and i only put on about 8000 miles a year.I like the white because it stands out more than the red or black ( in a sport model). Dave.
    Well I have no restrictions, but have no truck either. Looks like the dealer's info is not panning out. 8 weeks thursday, but still WAY BEHIND Rich. If I had to wait 29 weeks (or is it longer, I lost track) to get my truck, I wouldn't be fit to be around.
    Dave, keep posting even though you're probably busy with your truck. I want to know how it's going. I can still dream. It's tough though when I see Cummins-equipped trucks out on the road. If I'm next to one, the radio goes down and so does my window.

nascar6
    I put about 75 miles on the monster today just running errands. I'm really getting comfortable with it now. I showed it to some guys at work today. I almost had to kill a guy who thought he could just lean on my fender when I had the hood popped. Some people just don't have a clue.

Don't worry Mike and Rich, I won't abandon you guys. I still check every day to see where you guys are at. I hope that some day we can all meet up somewhere to compare trucks and war stories.

You should have seen the look I got from 2 guys in an F-150 today. I was sitting at a stop light with the Cummins rattling, and they couldn't take their eyes off my truck as they went around the corner. They even waved to me!
    I stopped at the dealership for a temp. license plate this afternoon. It was my dealer's day off, but he alway works the afternoon of his day off anyway. He's very busy. In passing I told him about the dome light/warning bell problem, and did he ever move fast. He took my keys, fired her up, and drove it right into the shop himself. (That was pretty cool to watch in itself.) A quick check by a mechanic and my problem was fixed. A wire wasn't connected to the driver's door switch, so he just plugged it in. I would have been happy to try to fix it myself, but my dealer would't hear of it. I wasn't even complaining about it. My guy is really a 5 star. It was fun to listen to the mechanic rave about my truck. He was practically drooling on it. That thing really gets everyone's attention when it rumbles into the shop (not that it's loud or anything).

Kevin: I was a little off on my license plate optimism. I'll have to fork over truck fees, too. But it will only be about $70. for me. Was your big hit a luxury tax too?

Keep your chins up, guys.
    Dave
    I just wonder if the salespeople at the dealership have a pool going as to how long this dummy will keep waiting. I'm not going to cancel my order until I have something firm. I wonder if I'm being too picky. I'd take any color but white, even take the sport package if thats all I could get. Must have an auto or my wife won't share the driving. One ton quad cabs won't fit in my garage as they only come with the long bed. So I'm stuck with the 3/4 ton quad, 4x4 (to go to my remote cabin), auto, slt+ (why are there so few?) v10 preferred but swaying towards the diesel because of availability. Need the towing and camper package (but most have it). Anyhow I'm going to start looking more for a truck on a lot that might suit our needs. Ford and Chevy are out. I just don't like the idea of dealing with a dealer 3 hours away. But I guess I need to get over that. ... Rich
  • markcordmarkcord Member Posts: 113
    but I'm sorry I didn't mention this before. I'm in Massachusetts and I took a ride thru my local dealer's lot a couple weeks back (was looking for a Cummins HO for wwhite2) and out of probably 75-100 Rams on the lot I did actually see a V10 on the lot. I was shocked since I went there first before I ordered last summer and when I said I wanted to test drive a V10 they looked at me like I had 3 heads or something. It is a quad 4x4 SLT+ with agate leather, auto, LB, and is white over driftwood. Can't remember much more but it was pretty loaded. Also, I think it's a 2000. I know it's not exactly what you're looking for Rich and it is halfway across the country but if you're getting desperate let me know and I'll hook you up with a phone number.
    I checked the status of my truck today and it has moved up to KZ as of 4/17. Up from F on 4/14 so it looks like they are keeping up with the data.
  • ccogdillccogdill Member Posts: 2
    Someone said that the cummins was too expensive, like $5000. Maybe if you pay sticker. I ordered my truck and got it for $100 over invoice. And I am sure some of the other guys even got better deals. 9.5 miles to the gallon Ouch. I here they are going to discontinue the V10 for lack of sales.
    I couldn't stand it any longer, I broke down and called 1-800. I was told that truck went gateline D1 4/13. Big difference from 3/23. Still ESD (est. ship date) of 5/5. I also asked if they keep track how many times customers call. She giggled. Again, I asked if they keep track. She said no, that I can call whenever I wanted.
    So much for the validity of my dealer's information. Have the truck this week? NOT! I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.

nascar6
    No Dave that is just how expensive the plates are down here. Thank goodness they give up a lottery credit from the earnings of the state lottery or the plates would have been closer to $1000.00! Ya I still get a big kick from watching people watch me! Have fun! Nascar6 & Rich keep hanging in there. Rich where do you live if it is anywhere close to Indy I will get you in contact with the Fleet Manager I bought mine through, he was great! Kevin
    Hey Markcord I drove that v10 at Central it was pretty nice ...I think the 3500 looks cool in white but I dont like the color in the 2500. They do have a a lot full of rams there I need to get back soon
This discussion has been closed.