Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    As near as I can tell, the battery drain relates to power drawn by the radio and, possibly, the alarm system. I've have no problem so long as I remember to turn the radio off when parking. Fortunately, the car's garaged so I have no need to activate the alarm.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I had a radio do that to my 03 Navigator! I finally figured it out when I approached the car one night, and the radio buttons were glowing in the dark, and the set was hot. Changed out the radio (under warranty), and no more problem.
  • 08pony08pony Member Posts: 13
    I have used 16" wheels and snows on my 05 V6 premium Mustang. I was thinking of trading my 05 for an 08 Mustang GT. The GT comes with 17" wheels standard. Is there anything about the GT that would prevent me from using my 16" wheels and snows on the GT? Tire Rack recommends 16" snows on V6 premium but on the GT recommends 17". Is it a brake caliper issue?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Yes - the calipers need to fit inside the wheel and the 16" might not be big enough. Hopefully someone has checked that out and can tell you for sure.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Tirerack won't sell you a 16" rim for the GT FWIW. I'm pretty sure I've read on other forums that 16 inch wheels are a no no on the GT too.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Dude, the restyle is on the wings for 2009. Just wait 10 more months.

Mark.
  • captkippcaptkipp Member Posts: 1
    Is there anyone out there that can help me find production numbers on specific models of mustangs? For example , How many California Special edition cars were built in 2007?

thanks
    That information might not yet be available. Keep an eye on any of the various Mustang websites and it should eventually turn up.
    Hey cougarjunkie - Have you rec'd you 08 yet? If not, have you got a build date yet? I placed an order Aug 4 and I still don't have a build date. After repeated calls to dealer, they claim I should have a build date next week. Seems like an out of the ordinary wait for a v6 premium. Anyone else place an order for an 08? Thanks
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Not sure if this should be posted here or not, but was wondering if anyone bought the Shelby GT and if so what were your thoughts? Was it worth the price?

To the ones I've seen advertised it seems that dealers are adding crazy markups for the package, despite the modest gains, banking on the SHELBY name to justify the price. I've actually seen more GT500s than Shelby GTs - only seen one GT versus 10 GT500s on the street. To me it just doesn't seem worth it.

Any thoughts?
  • novellnovell Member Posts: 26
    As an owner of an 07 Mustang GT, I havent seen a single Shelby GT in the DC area either. I have seen a few GT500's though. I think you are on to something when it comes to the extra (steep) price. I am planning on adding a CAI and SCT tune for under a grand.
    First, if you own a regular Mustang GT. Then you can upgrade your mechanicals to the Shelby GT with Ford Racing parts. To upgrade a stock GT to GT500 is not really realistic.

Second. vs the GT500, the Shelby GT actually went to Los Vegas and was worked on by Shelby techs. The GT500 as built 100% on the regular Mustang line in Flat Rock.

Third, My dealer sells the Shelby GTs for full list. MSRP on the car and cost on the Shelby package which is around $38,000. The upgrades are worth it IMHO if you don't pay much over that.

This could be the last program Carol Shelby is personally involved in. He is no spring chicken and that may have some effect on the Collectability of these limited cars.

Collectability is also affect by the fact that the 2008 Shelby GTs are pretty much completely different appearence wise.

Mark.
    Thanks (and novell as well). Am knowledgeable about all the points you made mschmal, but thanks for the rundown.

As with novell, I've seen more GT500s than GTs; I figure I might see one KR or Super Snake someday. I just see some for sale in the Auto Week mags and the dealers are asking major cash for them and the GT500s. It's just hard to take when on the next page there are a couple of C6 Corvettes for the same cash or less than the GT, or a 427 S/C Cobra replica or used Viper for the same cash. :confuse:

That was kind of my point I guess. The two main packages that make it a "Shelby" can be bought from the Ford Motorsports Catalog for a lot less than buying the package. The other items are just insignias, badges and the like. {And I would have liked to have seen the T-bird sequential taillights like the 67-70 and the concept car for the 2005 on the current Shelbys). For me the collectability is second, I still believe cars should be driven first, looked at / drooled over second. If I was just into the collectability, put it in a garage and wipe it down every night, I'd buy a plastic model kit for $10 ~ $15 bucks (or a metal one for a little more coin) and call it the day. Hell of a lot cheaper and can modify it anyway I wanted without guilt. And if I wanted another one to "preserve the authenticity" just go to the hobby store and buy another. ;)

And your right, Shelby may not be around too much longer; between the younger wife and the multiple ops... But one of the greats nonetheless.

Thanks guys.
    Sequential tailights are an easy aftermarket mod for the S197. Guy in my office just did it himself although the parts were a bit pricey ($139 or so, IIRC).
    And your right, Shelby may not be around too much longer; between the younger wife and the multiple ops... But one of the greats nonetheless.

I live in Vegas where Shelby has his factory - sometimes, if you're lucky, when you drive by, you can see him outside the garage leaning on a Mustang, talking with someone. He doesn't look great - but he's still working every day. And there are a Thousand Mustangs parked at the Speedway there, waiting for conversion to Shelbys, or waiting for shipment after conversion. Looks like a going operation to me.... He is old, nonetheless, and it's not looking as if he'll be the first one to beat mortality..... ;)
  • vistabluestangvistabluestang Member Posts: 14
    I agree with you. I was debating buying the 500GT or a regular GT. I ended up with the regular GT. I want to be able to work on my car...modify it, add to it, make it my own. I consider this 1/2 of the fun. I felt if I touched the Shelby I would lose money. I like shining my car, but I like getting my hands dirty a lot better. :shades:
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    My wife and I wanted to buy a new Taurus. We went to the dealer with the intent of returning home with a Taurus. We drove it and the 6 cyl fusion. The 3.5 liter in the taurus with 260 HP was terribly underpowered. I would not own that car. The 3.0 liter fusion ran a lot better, but was loud and had a cheap interior. With that aside, I hope for does not use the 3.5l 260 HP in next years mustangs unless they make some dramatic changes.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    The new Taurus is enormous. That's a lot of weight to carry around. The V6 Mustang might weigh a little over 3200 pounds. You can't compare what the engine did in the Taurus with what it may be able to do in the Mustang. It should be able to make it at least as fast as the last generation GT, if not faster.
    Don't forget the current 4.0L V6 - which is really a truck engine - only makes 210 hp and 240 lb ft of torque. The 3.5L will make 265 hp and 250 lb ft of torque while getting better fuel economy.
    I've seen one as well, with the sequentials but the lens was stock. I guess I wasn't clear enough, my bad, but I would have liked the same lens treatment the the 67 - 70 had, where the lens was wider than the stock tri-bar. Again, just like the sequential taillights from the T-bird.

Is this what your office-mate has, new lenses and the like, or is the kit just a sequential relay kit for the bulbs, stock lenses?
    I believe that it is just the bulbs. Will find out for sure tomorrow when I see it.
    Has anyone placed an order for a 2008 mustang? I don't know what the problem is since sales are down. I put a deposit down on August 4 and am still waiting. The dealer claims the car should be here any day now. I do not know if they are playing games. 3 months seems excessive for a v6 premium. ANyone experience a similar situation?
    Looked at it today - stock lens with revised wiring. Was surprised about how fast it runs through the sequence.
  • redpony07redpony07 Member Posts: 4
    The same thing happened to me last October for an 07. I placed a thousand down and was told, just a few more days, over and over. I waited two weeks and was done. I located a GT with Parchment - albeit 120 miles away. Right price, negotiated all by phone. Went to the local dealer 2 days later and canceled the order. You sometimes have to play hardball too. 3mos is excessive for a v6. Their sales are down and should be jumping at anyone trying to buy. Good Luck. ;)
  • redpony08redpony08 Member Posts: 1
    i went to gray daniels ford in brandon mississippi yesterday (Nov. 3). They had over 20 stangs in stock from the v6 del./prem to a beautiful white/blue stripes shelby. i left with an 08 torch red v6 premium coupe. ive enjoyed all 28 miles ive put on the car! :-)
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi all!

My Lady and I have discussed the possibility of purchasing a 2008 Mustang, but I have a question for all of you out there who own this machine with traction control:

How does the Mustang track on/in snow and/or ice? I'm NOT talking about blizzard conditions, so don't misunderstand.
    I'm hip that it's rwd, and traction can be iffy in such situations, but with the traction control inclement weather tracking should be better than with no TC at all...especially in a Mustang. Am I correct?

I had a Hyundai salesperson tell us that a Mustang in winter is a fool's ride. Slippin' and aslidin', if U get his drift. I tuned him out upon his saying that. Anyway, please, all you with winter driving experience in your Mustangs please give yours truly the scoop. I sure would appreciate it...

Many thanx-

Peace!<-AladdinSane-- :shades:
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    I don't want to discourage you, but Mustangs and snow don't mix too well (even w/TC). Do you get frequent snowfalls where you are? If so you might want to think about the Hyundai (maybe as a second car).
    Congrats redpony08. My ordered car is also v6 prem. Our local dealers only have a couple 08's on the lot. None like I ordered - v6 prem, pony, heated seats, sirius, safety & security package, leather, chrome exhaust tip, auto, dark candy apple red/ black. I will continue to pester dealer. (I know he is sick of me)
    Mustangs do fine in occasional snow. TC helps until you completely loose traction and then you may need to shut it off to allow the wheels to dig down to find traction under the snow. If you drive in snow or ice regularly you'll want a separate set of winter wheels and tires though.
    Rain on the way in to work this morning had my TC working hard. Maybe I shouldn't be so aggressive in the rain...hmm.

Mark.
    Rain on the way in to work this morning had my TC working hard. Maybe I shouldn't be so aggressive in the rain...hmm.

I learned my lesson very early regarding a GT and the rain. Almost kissed a concrete barrier on an onramp 2 months after I bought it last year.

It was scary Mark. But really fun too! :blush:
  • vertical3vertical3 Member Posts: 43
    Careful....just had a kid put his into a guardrail. Upside is he put on the Shelby 500 front cap for his replacement. You can get the parts for around $2K.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Not from the Northeast are you?
    ;)
  • vertical3vertical3 Member Posts: 43
    Nah, West Palm Beach, but the monsoon thunderstorms here in South Florida make up for the blinding blizzards. Instead of salt on the road we have it in the air all the time
    Nope - Atlanta. I'm just repeating what I've heard dozens of people say who do live in the Northeast and drive RWD vehicles.
  • coach1522coach1522 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Ford Mustang GT, automatic transmission, with 40,000 miles. The problem I am experiencing is what I call a low speed lurch or a gasp and go. I press down on the accelerator evenly, then all of a sudden it takes off. I back my car into my garage up a slight incline on a gravel driveway, 50% of the time, when it takes off the tires spin and gravel is thrown on my car. Has anyone had a similar experience? Or more importantly a solution? Dealer can't fix.
    Nope - Atlanta. I'm just repeating what I've heard dozens of people say who do live in the Northeast and drive RWD vehicles.

I do live in the NE and you hit the nail on the head. OK in light snow and never take it out in heavy snow or ice without real snow tires.
  • skidmark60skidmark60 Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone,

My first time on the forums here but not to Edmunds for sure! I'm waiting to get an '08 GT/CS as soon as I get an answer on my Social Security disability. I've waited over 3.5 years on this but only a year to get my 'stang. What I've found out is that the calif. special has all the options that I wanted and then some with a package price of $1895.00!! I've done the Ford website "price and build" thing a thousand times and found out that if I optioned out what I wanted, it ran over 2k. So...I seen a Candy Apple Red GT/CS on a dealers site and TA DA!! there she is. They have quoted me at invoice for the car, BUT I want it in the Vista Blue, so the search is on. I got my fingers crossed that this happens soon, not sure how much more I can take :cry:

I absolutely love the GT/CS, what a beautiful car.
  • fast06stangfast06stang Member Posts: 2
    I also own an '06 GT with an auto trans and get a similar problem. I was told it was an issue with the "drive by wire" throttle body assembly. I'm not a huge fan of it since it can sometimes be hard to modulate in stop and go traffic. I am planing a flash tune to mine soon which I hear makes the throttle sensor a bit more crisp. I also added a Cold Air Intake system which greatly improved gas mileage and performance. I can usually get a solid 22 - 23 mpg while cruising on the interstate.
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    OK, so wife and I are hitting mid-life and we are looking for a toy. Leaning towards Stang cause that's what wife wants and let's face it, if she doesn't agree, it don't get done ;) Me, I would prefer a 350Z. Anyway, we want a GT, red or dark red, stick, and here comes question #1...should we get convertible or coupe??? Obviously convertible would be nice but any drawbacks I don't know about?

and #2...how does one go about finding a car like this? Same way as any other? I want it as close to perfect as possible.

#3...how are these cars anyway? As I said, it will be a toy for us.

Thanks!
    Obviously convertible would be nice but any drawbacks I don't know about?

If you leave the top down when it rains the interior gets wet, but I'm guessing you already knew that....... :blush:

Don't quite understand the sub-2007 comment - are you looking at a used vehicle or a new one? If you want a new one just go order one, or tell the dealer exactly what you want and see if he can find one in the computer at another dealer.

For used try ebay or autotrader.com
    Used. Yeah, i was scanning autotrader...guess that's as good as any way. Would be nice to hook onto someone privately though - they'd get bettter $ and so would i.
    Check the local paper classifieds. Autotrader also has a lot of private party sales - you just have to weed out the dealers first.
  • skidmark60skidmark60 Member Posts: 4
    Hey ckone0814,

I've been at this thing of looking for the right Mustang. At least a year now. I've been waiting on a settlement to go and get one. Trust me when I say " I've really been looking". My settlement is now here and now I cant decide to get a used one or new? :confuse:
    During my searching I found a really super clean '05 Red one on ebay. I am leaning towards a new one, now that I have found the one that I had in mind. So here is a link to this car. It's a ebay listing that has expired, but I believe you can still contact the owner through it. This thing is really super clean, I mean show room clean.

Good luck with your search and email me anytime and I'd be happy to answer any question in regards to my adventures. :shades:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320190738112&ssPag- eName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

If you cant get to them let me know I have their email address.
    I would also recommend Cars.com. I've sold a few cars on there, and I'm an excellent person to buy from. :blush: Seriously, transactions seem to go pretty smoothly.
    Thanks. Right color but I'm looking for a convertible (I think!?) and I def want stick.
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    We bought a new 07 GT convertible last June and it's a great car. It's my first convertible and I can't believe I didn't do this years ago. Winter in Ohio doesnt' provide many top-down days, but summer - fall months were awsome.
    Before I go the used route I'd like to see iwhat I can do on a 2007 leftover. I tried the Fordvehicles site and was unable to locate anything within the mile range from my zip for what I want (07 GT Conv, stick, redfire). I called the saleman I bought a Focus from and asked him if he can locate one. He comes back with a half-dozen "within 80 miles or so". I am planning on getting with him and talking a deal but I probably would do better if I was dealing with the dealer that had it in stock. True? How can I find out who has one?
    but I probably would do better if I was dealing with the dealer that had it in stock. True? How can I find out who has one?

I don't think that's true at all. When a dealer gets a car from another dealer they usually just swap vehicles. I need this mustang - I can give you a F250 or an Edge, etc. It's not like the dealer has to buy it from the other dealer with added profit.

You can look it up dealer by dealer on the FordDirect.com website (which it sounds like you already did) but that's a pain. You could use the other link on the website that tells Ford what you want and they'll do a dealer search for you. Otherwise only another dealer can get that information.
    are a little bit rarer.