Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Use the Ford website and just plug in various zip code to search inventory. It is a pain but you get to see precisely how each one is equipped.

Stick 'verts are relatively rare so be prepared to have some flexibility on color and/or options.

If you go used, just try to buy from someone like yourself. Many of these have been beat or modded by kids.
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    found a perfect match. now I have to get the deal done.
    Just bought a new 2007 leftover. Thanks to all who responded.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Well, give us some details, man! :D
    You know already it's an 07/GT/ vert/stick. Redfire with black and parchment leather, parchment top. Sticker was $34380, I offered and got $28k.
    Now that I committed to buying, I'm reading some stuff about cloth tops being so much better. Of course mine has a vinyl (parchment) top. Anything to worry about or am I overreacting (again!)?
    No point in worrying about it since Parchment is not available in cloth!

Awesome colors - first tried (and failed) to buy an '06 in that combination and ended up with Torch Red and double Parchment.
    thanks. good to hear - we wouldn't have went black to get cloth anyway.

the interior is the "black w/parchment accent". didn't see it in person but the pics looked great so we looked for one with that.
    Well, Parchment interiors have black accents, so to speak - black dash, console, carpet, seatbelts, and door panel inserts (the last of which are actually very dark charcoal).
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    0% for 60 mons. just announced.
    Both cloth & vinyl cut just fine, so I wouldn't be concerned with which one you get. Mine was cut to get into the car. I liked the vinyl parchment, actually. My vert was white, with parchment top.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    ??
    you can get 0% for 60 months on an '07 mustang GT?

is this published somewhere?
    i see nothing on their website.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Manufacturer websites (amazingly) are sometimes slow on the draw.
    yeah. But then where do I get to see this information for myself? I really hate to have to venture to a dealer just to ask the question.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

just call a dealer and ask for a new car manager.

Mark
  • skidmark60skidmark60 Member Posts: 4
    If you really want to deal on a new car. Consumer Reports have a great tool. It cost $14 if I remember, but it tells you what the dealer paid for the car and how to negotiate up from that price, not down from sticker. I plan on getting one when I'm ready to go. But I'm doing it all by internet. It's so easy to do now that you don't even have to go to the dealer until it's time to pick up your car (providing that you have test drove it or one like it). Just go to www.consumerreports.com and check it out, can't hurt.

Mark
    uhhh... thanks, but no thanks. If I want to know what a dealer paid, I can look it up right here on Edmunds for free.

Edmunds does not have correct invoice information. Its close but not 100% correct. Specifically, Edmunds does not include any regional charges that a dealer may have to pay.

Mark
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It doesn't include advertising because that varies by vehicle by geographic location. Or mfrs fuel fee (something like $8).
    and why cut into the lousy few bucks difference in invoice by paying a fee for a report? Shop around. If one dealer shows you all these extra fees and another doesn't, well you get 1 guess who lied.

I have bought a lot of cars in my life - I'm a car junkie - and I don't care if the invoice isn't perfect.

I bought 3 new cars in the last 2 years; I get Edmund's invoice, compare that to another free online service, then go to the dealer on a final day of a quarter or year, look the salesman in the eye and say, "I'll buy that car right now for $XXXXX.". In each case $XXXXX is what I think is a ridiculous number and AT LEAST $1500 under what I have as invoice. On 2 of the three occasions, I got that price albeit after the salesman and the sales manager did their dances. I just held firm, was prepared to walk, and also was prepared to honor my offer and buy if they accepted. I insisted upon no extended warranties, no extras of any kind, and the going best financing rate if I wasn't paying cash and made certain there was nothing slipped-in at delivery.

On the one car that I didn't get the deal, the 2007 Mustang by the way, the dealer did not own the car and would have had to acquire it from another dealer. The salesman told me the name of the dealer who had the car and foolishly challenged me to contact them - said I would only do "a few hundred better". So I walked out and made an even lower offer to that other dealer over the internet and it was accepted almost immediately. I ended up beating my local dealer by $1200. Bad move, Mr. Salesman.

I know trades, rebates, etc, gunk up the process somewhat but it's easy to arm yourself with the correct info and work all that out in advance.

Can I do better? Probably, with a lot more work. This method works for me though. I treat everyone with respect, I don't beat anyone up and I don't allow them to beat me up. I'm straight and honest and don't get attached and agitated. I just lay the price out then sit back, drink their free coffee, and let them work. It was tough doing this the first time - I was nervous - but now it's nothing and it's kinda fun in a way. Heck, it's MY money...
    and that's a good example of why I would never pay for some kind of buying service like the other poster is suspiciously pushing.

• waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    Good lesson there....and I think if you handle this correctly, you will have better luck as you have indicated.

As someone who has been in professional sales and marketing for my whole life, don't assume that because someone does not accept your offer, but another dealer does that the first dealer made a misstake. I walk away form business all the time.

Keep in the mind that the reason why dealers can't make money anymore is because they don't make the money they used to on cars. Hell, I remember the days when a car salesmen used to be able to support his family, own his house, and pay for his kids to go to college. Those days are long gone now because of "smart" consumers who has figured things out. The dealers need to make money too.

The real issue is what value does the dealer bring to the table to the consumer? Are we heading in a direction where dealers will be a thing of the past and all we do is buy online and have the car delivered to our house? Think about it. Would we want that or not want that?
  • skidmark60skidmark60 Member Posts: 4
    Well as a person who had spent years on the Service dept side of dealerships, I cannot say that I feel any sorrow for the salesman.

Don't get me wrong, there are decent salesmen out there. I'm talking about the other
    90%. Yes the public is getting smarter or I like to say "catching on the the car buying game" for every one person who buys that is educated to this there is probably 8 that are not, and what do these "decent" starving salesmen do? fleece them for all they got! buyer beware huh!

Yes those years of a gone by era have passed for a salesman to make a decent living also to has passed the salesman of brand loyalty. I used to see salesmen bounce from dealer to dealer and not truly care what kind of car they sold as long has the "closer" got the deal.

The real issue is, the dealer does bring to the table the product that we want. the problem is it's not a cut a dry game. So we have to educate ourselves in order to protect ourselves from not so "decent" salesmen.
    I'd like for the dealer and the salesman to get paid. In this particular case I wanted to buy from my "hometown" dealer. I had already bought a Focus from this dealer and the salesman and they were good people, never any nonsense.

I offered $X out the door, they could only do $X + $500 and as I said, gave me the dealer's name who had the car in stock. I left. They called me a few days later and said they could do it now but "the car you wanted was no longer available"...that's because I had bought it from the other dealer for $1200 under my original offer! My local dealer lost me for $500.

Don't tell me dealers are not making money and salesman are not getting paid. They are not in business to lose money; as the other poster said, some deals they steal, some they don't. I have had dealerships tell me "no" many times but so far I've always found someone who will say "yes".
    and I'd like to weigh in, but if I do here in the Mustang forum, I'll get stomped on.
    I'll never understand their games. In the summer of '06 I was ready to pull the trigger on a GT 'vert. Found one I liked at an out of town dealer. Told 'em what numbers they needed to beat (on new and trade) to make the sale but they wouldn't come close. Went back to my hometown dealer (where I already had solid numbers) and they traded with that same out of town store two days later to get that particular car for me.
  • parents2k8parents2k8 Member Posts: 3
    radio works when 2005 ignition is turned on and even when motor is on but as soon as you start the car volume turns off UNLESS you ave the clutch pushed in. Let the clutch out and the volume again goes away....Any thoughts?
    And of course, even though I under the 3year warranty I am over the mileage so that means money out of my pocket...Help!
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    Well you know the saying:

"How can you tell when a salesmen is lying?

"When their lips move." - lol

Being in sales does not have to be dishonest, it should be about finding a mutually, beneficial situation for the buyer and seller. A good salemen will put themselves in the shoes of the cunsumer and they have to have that special sixth sense that says "I know what you are telling me, but it is really not what you mean".

Saturn tried to bring this back when they hit the market, but they have just really gone the direction of everything else.

As I asked before, what value does the dealer bring? If they bring value then they deserve to get paid. If not, then let's just bypass them and move on.
  • alloypony07alloypony07 Member Posts: 2
    Well...Being a Ford Salesperson for 2 years, I sold about 5 Mustangs per month during 06-07. Almost all of them came in with an invoice or msrp printed out from some site, whether here or kbb or whomever. We sold every customer the same, $500 over invoice, my invoice, the actual. Maybe get a better deal somewhere else? Im sure. But they sat down, pick the options, and have an immediate price, No haggle, No negotiation. They spent probably $500-100 more by buying from me, but it was the easiest car buying experience of their lives. Keep in mind I love mustangs, own one myself, and people appreciate that. It will never be the price of the car that sells it, unless your a dealer struggling, but it will be how the salesperson handles the customer and his needs. I sold a Saleen Parnelli Jones at $71k, which was $15k over STICKER. He was the most appreciative and happy customer I have ever had. Money isnt everything.
  • alloypony07alloypony07 Member Posts: 2
    and for everyones knowledge, the prices on edmunds are very far off from actual, many dealers have special deals through ford for being Presidents award winning dealers, or by pushing hundreds of new cars per month, that many dealers get cars as much as $1500 cheaper than another dealer. And for everyones information, the mark up between invoice and msrp on fords is only about 5% if that, most of the time its about $3k difference. Dealers/salespersons make squat on new cars, unless special ordered or extremely rare. For everyones info, a salesperson will give you a better price than a manager on average, it wont be until you "hardball" and pretend to walk than the manager will drop his pants. You are better off pounding on the salesperson. Im just glad I got out of new cars sales.
  • luna1017luna1017 Member Posts: 1
    Finally got to see one of these today. Was really considering trading in my 2005 GT for it. However what stopped me in my tracks was the dealer's extra paper he had by posted by the window sticker...he was asking $20K......over MSRP.

The salesperson told me a few people had offered MSRP for the car and they refused to sell it. The additional $20K over invoice was explained as a "MARKET ADJUSTMENT"

After the initial shock and awe wore off.....I decided to wait until more of these get delivered....and hopefully not all dealers will be adjusting their prices in this manner.

Has anyone else seen one? Is the price marked up just as high? Hopefully as more come into the area.....the dealers will be more competitive.
    I've heard of dealers selling them on X plan before they were deemed ineligible, which equates to about $500 over invoice for the dealer. I'm sure you can find one for MSRP or below.
    its .4% under invoice which is usually about $50 to $60 or so.

Lincoln X-plan is above invoice but Ford and Mercury X-plan is below.

Mark.
    Mark - I said it EQUATES to about $500 over invoice because Ford gives the dealer a spiff check around $500. I never said the actual X plan price was $500 over invoice.
    However, you should not imply that the commission to the dealer possibly available as additional discount as the X-plan rules require the dealership charge no more or less than X-plan.

Mark.
    You've totally misunderstood the issue which was that the Bullitt mustang was no longer eligible for X plan. MY point was that if a dealer was willing to sell you a Bullitt on X plan before then they should be willing to sell it to you now for $500 over invoice. The profit for the dealer would be ROUGHLY the same. As opposed to going from X plan to MSRP. Get it?
    I guess i missed the part about dealers selling Bullitts for X-plan as I never would imagine doing that myself.

Mark.
  • pathriderpathrider Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering if anyone else has this problem. Yesterday after starting my 2006 Ford Mustang convertible and turning on the heating system to defog the front windshield, I heard a swishing sound (like sand getting blasted at plastic). It seemed to happen as I turned my steering wheel in either direction or the car bumped around. I soon discovered water on the floorboard of the front passenger side of the car and could feel water dripping from underneath the far right side of the instrument panel. After my Ford dealer looked at it, they told me that the water drain for the windshield cavity was full of pine needles and it would cost $450.00 to clean it out. I said what? I have never heard of such a thing. I have had a few cars where I live in the mountains of California but never encountered this problem. Ford told me this was not a warranty repair and I would have to pay. The actual bill came to $345.29 - $29.04 for a filter and $316.25 for labor. Man, this sure seems like a design flaw because it seems to me cars should be able to handle any type of tree leaves and neadles without cloggin up. Has this happened to anyone else on a Mustang. My dealer tells me that this has happened to one other 2006 or newer Mustang that they have worked on.
    Agree with akirby - DON'T pay that "market adjustment". Shop around - there will be dealers all over the country ready to sell one at MSRP. Sometimes dealers in the small towns live from internet sales.....start shopping online.
    Well....yes and no. I agree with you, that Ford should have paid. Design flaw though - probably not. An exceptional load for a drain to handle probably. As they said, only one other case. If 50% of them did this, then yes, design flaw. Like weep holes in doors and mufflers, they normally drain. Keeping leaves clear of windshield grates is usually a user maintenance item, like washing. But once anyway, I think Ford should have stepped up.

See, this is where most Manufacturers blow it. The car is still under warranty - and by not paying for this repair - they have pissed you off, probably irreparably. $400 to you now, with a disclaimer that they won't clean it free again, and you should keep the pine needles out of it, to some degree, or you pay next time, would have gone a long way toward keeping your satisfaction attitude on the positive side, and may have sold you another Ford, and kept you from badmouthing Ford to 1200 of your closest friends...... :confuse:
    You got ripped. Go back and scream. There's a TSB on the water leak issue - #07-14-6. The problem is almost always on the passenger side. This applies to 2005 through 2008 Mustangs and the online publication date of the TSB was 7/3/07.

The thing that is sad is that Ford gives four four possible causes in the TSB:

1) Loose grommets and/or sealer skips around the cowl area;

2) loose A-pillar window weather stripping retainer;

3) misaligned body harness grommet through the firewall; and/or

4) misaligned body harness grommet from the front passenger door.

Funny thing, mine nevers see rain or a car wash so I'll never know if it has this problem!
  • stang81stang81 Member Posts: 4
    I've been having a real string of bad luck lately, first my '05 Chyrysler 300' motor seizes up, and now my Stang gets smashed up at the dealership.
    I went in for my first service with only 2200kms I've had my Mustang for 4 months. While the car was parked at the drive in doors waiting for someone to pull it in me and a few other guys were admiring the car when the garage door opens and one of their own service techs with an F-150 backs rite over the hood of my Stang. We all watched in shock as this happened........so now me the lucky guy that I am get to drive around in a Focus while the dealership i bought my brand new GT from fixes it after they crash into it. How nice eh!! :)
    A FOCUS???? I don't think so! I would DEMAND at least a "girlie Stang" (V-6) while they fix it...... :confuse:
  • monsterzero_jrmonsterzero_jr Member Posts: 2
    I want a used '05 Mustang with a manual transmission. I've never owned a Mustang before. Any tips on buying such a vehicle?

It will be primarily a year-round work car to get to work and back. I don't know how many miles per day though because I'm in the middle of changing jobs and could end up working anywhere between 1 miles to 20 miles from home. I'm a registered nurse by education; about to graduate in a week or so.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    I have an 06 GT with Manual Transmission and I am getting an average of 25 mpg,
    driving 50% highway and 50% urban and rural. It can be done if you drive the torque and upshift quickly, I'm in fifth by 35 mph and I use cruise alot. A 50 -55 mph cruise can deliver over 30 mpg!
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    " It can be done if you drive the torque and upshift quickly, I'm in fifth by 35 mph and I use cruise alot. A 50 -55 mph cruise can deliver over 30 mpg! "

Ummm, No Thanks and No.
  • bobcathbobcath Member Posts: 13
    If you are in the market for an '05 Mustang, make sure you look for a build date after April '05. It will be on a plate on the door jam.

Ford had problems initially but seemed to have worked out the kinks by then.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Ford dealer also put a big dent in my Mustang!!! :mad:

Have an 05 GT Premium. Love the car completely (no longer even think of getting a Vette) :shades: , but the service has been atrocious. Seems like every time I take it in for maintenance, they scuff it up or scratch it. Once, they even put the wrong oil in it, at least according to the invoice. I bring 6 qts of my own Mobil One for oil changes; service guy comes over and tells me that it isn't enough!

Ford service dept. is a dirty cave, compared to Honda service, where you can eat off the floors, and the service is top notch. Last new Honda I bought, however, had more problems than the Mustang.
    Sounds like your dealer is especially ghetto - can you try another one? Is there one within reasonable distance, because the 4 Ford dealers here where I live are all much better than you are describing. One other possible alternative would be to take it to a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. They are almost always a cut above the Ford dealer in courtesy, competence and although the store may not be new and fancy, it's usually in decent shape. Try it, you may really like it. That is what I do, by the way.