Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    After that last dent, will be doing just that, namely, going to another dealer, but will have to drive several more miles to get there.
  • mash2mash2 Member Posts: 1
    Im glad to have found you guys on here. Im in the process of being screwed by Ford on this one. I still have to contact Ford Canada, but beware. The leaks can possibly damage all the wiring and get in contact with the passanger side fusebox (as in my case). Ford wants to charge me 3100$ to repair all of the wiring and the fusebox and any related stuff. They have told me that my car is at high risk of catching fire it is so messed up, and this is all related to the water leak I am finding out. Now I have to get them to repair a problem that they were aware of and put me at risk of getting fried or catching fire. Not bad eh?

My warranty ended 5 months ago, and my extended warranty is useless ( i was unaware it was only for powertrain, they made it out to be an all out extension).

So be careful because it can cause bigger problems than just a soaked carpet. Get it fixed on their dime before its too late!
  • thewheelmanthewheelman Member Posts: 1
    I don't want to take issue, but the SVT built GT 500 was the primary package Shelby worked on with Ford for this body style. His input was vital in the development of these cars. I would hate for anyone to imply that just because they didn't go to Vegas, they're not Shelby's. They carry his name and if you know anything about Carroll Shelby, he doesn't lend his name to projects willy-nilly.
  • rugbywalesrugbywales Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased 2006 v6 mustang,torch red with white shelby stripes and 20 inch chrome wheels.So far after 1 week all ok but read so many forums on problems.Main fault seems to be paint quality,paint on inside of door handle literally peeling off and flaking on sills.Everything seems to be put together on cheap,uk ford cars seem much better standard but car just rocks on looks alone and needs large wheels that dont seem to impair handling. Long distance is sweet in this returning very respectable mpg.Choose v6 cos do alot of short journeys.
    Have read many blogs on filling gas tank but hey its simmple like so many other cars turn nozle around usually upside down and start first few gallon fill slow n steady then it should be a smooth fast fill.
    Anyone else suffered this paint problem ?
    Totally agree.Just purchased v6 here in uk and drove back from where purchased at around steady 65 mph for 200miles and returned 33 mpg,it an auto too.Bought v6 as do lots of short journeys here in uk with fuel costs 7.50 dollars per gallon !!! Love the car but paint on its crap and would have v8 if fuel price came down !!
    Anyone having paint problems.I have 06 mustang and paint peeling off on door handle like bannana skin,it crap,peeling down to metal and sills starting to flake,Are these hand painted or by machine ?
  • vertical3vertical3 Member Posts: 43
    Sorry to hear of paint quality issues. Most 06's (including mine) have an issue with inside lip on the front of the hood with paint blisters. My paint (also Torch Red) is fine (but I live in West Palm Beach, FL with lots of sun). Maybe where the car was previously could give an answer.
  • Nik_TurnerNik_Turner Member Posts: 1
    Hi

New to this forum but thought somebody may be able to shed some light on my problem. I am from the UK and drive a 2005 Ford Mustang 4.6 V8. Everything has been fine with the car up until today. I have collected the children from school and came back to the car. I unlocked the doors with the remote and opened the drivers door. Both the driver and passenger doors then went down by themselves. No power to the vehicle at all was present. I never thought anything of it and started the vehicle and put the windows back up with no problems. I then decided to go to our local shops and when i stopped the car and opened one of the doors the same thing happened again. Both windows came down. I now find that I cannot leave the vehicle because as soon as I take the key out of the ignition and open a door both windows go down. I have tried to shut the doors, lean into the car, put the key in the ignition and remove (thus giving the car the 10 minutes of power before shut down) then closing the windows and locking the car, which works until the 10 minutes elapses and the windows come down and consequently the alarm starts to sound.

Not sure if it is relevant but we have had some pretty bad weather here recently (i.e. frost, ice and rain). Please could anyone help as I am stuck with a car on my drive that I am unable to lock or put the windows up!!!

Many Thanks

Nikki Turner
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    That bad weather might be affecting your electrical system. Not sure what you can do yourself to remedy it. One tip, though. You don't have to reach in with your key to put the windows up. Just put the key in the door lock after everyone's existed the vehicle then twist and hold in the "LOCK" position until the windows roll up.

Since you're in the UK, you might even be able to just hold the "LOCK" button on your keyfob to get the windows to go up. We don't get that feature in the States. :(
    Nobody's excited about the 2010 Mustang? Having seen it in person, I think it's a great progression from the '05-'09 Stang. The rear takes some getting used to, but it looks much better in person than in pictures. The interior is very nice!
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    I still like the '05-'09 look better. I don't see a "great" progression.
    I'll stick with my '06 for a while.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I think the 2010 looks better in every dimension - inside and outside. If they'd just make a Boss 302 in Grabber Blue/black I'd have a hard time saying no.
    I don't see a "great" progression.

You will once you see it in person. I loved the look of my '05, but I still love the look of the new one, too. And you have to admit the interior is much nicer. The only thing I'd change is for it to still have the round vents in the center of the dash. They've also removed the center power outlet, so no more Push Button start mod (on the dash.) :cry:
    Saw it in person, still stand by my initial statement. Sorry. Different strokes for different folks. :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    They had a GT convertible and a Shelby GT500 Coupe on display at the NY Auto show. Personally I LOVE the new rear end of the car. I really dig the styling too. I swore off American cars a long time ago and the '10 Mustang GT is making me think otherwise. I'm a BMW nut, but the idea of a 325 lb-ft torque V8 is simply seductive. I'm still a long way away from buying a car as my '01 Honda Prelude Type SH has almost 110,000 miles on it and shows no signs of fading anytime soon.

Therein lies my biggest concern. How well will this car hold up over time? I'm not too worried about the engine or transmission, but how well are Mustangs screwed together? When I buy a car I plan to keep it for 10 years. I'm scared of domestic service departments too. I've always gotten a loaner car (I know this varies by dealer) from my Honda service dept (when I serviced it there for 6 years) and when I bring my wife's X3 in for service, they just blow me away with how accomodating they are.

Is there anyone out there in edmundsland that has a high mileage V8 Mustang with a stick?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Why did Ford only make this car with a 5 speed manual, no 6 speed stick?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

With that much torque you don't need a 6 speed.
  • eltopoeltopo Member Posts: 1
    Check out http://www.mocgb.net/ Mustang Users Club Of Great Britain. They can give you a good referral.
    I understand that aspect of it, really with 325 lb/ft of torque, you only need 4 speeds. How 'bout a nice, tall 6th gear for some better fuel economy? It wouldn't hurt the car's performance at all.

If you notice, the powertrains are all carryovers this year. They get new engines (and probably transmissions to go with them) next year.
    What kind of engines/horsepower numbers are speculated? Are they moving to a 4 valve per cylinder design?

The 4.0L V6 almost certainly gets replaced by the 3.5 or 3.7 Duratec (~270 hp and torque) and the 4.6L V8 gets replaced by a new 5.0L V8 putting out in the neighborhood of 350 hp/400 lb-ft according to the rumors. Ecoboost versions of both are also rumored.
  • probie1probie1 Member Posts: 1
    yes, I have 06 mustang gt and the paint is peeling off the drivers side door handle. Its annoying and looks like crap.
  • dsgtangdsgtang Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone, im new to this car chat forum but im strictly here to find out how a twin-turbo V6 mustang is possible and how can I get a kit. I was reading about the MRT 6T6 mustang which I added a link to at the bottom. this mustang is twin turboed and I want something like that. let me know if anyone even understand me lol (http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_0610_mrt_twin_turbo_v6_must- ang/photo_09.html)
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    Is the 5.0L V8 a real deal or just a rumor? Just curious why Ford would give the Mustang a new face for 2010 model and not the new engine.
    Thanks in advance to anyone with accurate info.
    It's real according to all the insiders. It wasn't ready for the 2010 mustang so they either had to release the new stang with the old engines or delay the new body styling and interior for another year. It also helps with quality - only changing part of the vehicle each time.
    thanks akirby for the info. i read in automobile mag that the new engine is supposed to be 5.0L and has 400 HP. do you know if that new engine is more fuel efficient with the power bump and is the dual clutch 6sp auto in the picture? thanks.
    Highly unlikely that the next engine will be 5L. Even if it is, it's unlikely that it'll have 400HP. There's no chance in the world that it'll have a dual clutch 6-speed auto.

As much as I love the Mustang GT, I have to opine Ford doesn't put much effort into it's powertrain or drivetrain. Look at the last year of the SN95 Mustang. The GT only had 60HP more than the V6 while the Cobra had 130HP more than the GT. Look at the '05 - '09 S197. The GT only had 90HP more than the V6 and the GT500 had 200HP more than the GT. Now w/ the '10 model, the GT only has 115HP more than the V6 and the GT500 has 215HP more than the GT.

The chasm of HP difference between the GT and Cobra/GT500 is evidence that Ford only wants to give real power to the top Mustang. The GT has always had to soldier on in looks and relative handling alone. Then we always have to take ish from the GM boys about how the Mustang GT can't hang w/ the Z28/SS and that the Cobra/GT500 is priced way too high to be considered the competition, blah, blah, blah... :sick:
    Read my fingers: the 5.0L is replacing the 4.6L in all products. It will make more power than the 5.4L but should have fuel economy the same or better than the 4.6L. It will be capable of 400 hp NA. There are also rumors that the Ecoboost 3.5L (350 hp) will be available in the Mustang. If so then having a 400 hp 5.0L makes sense. And supposedly the 5.0L will also be boosted to 500 hp. And expect either a 3.5L or 3.7L base V6.

The days of Ford powertrains being behind the competition are over.

As for the dual clutch tranny - that is a few years away. They're developing the smaller trannies for the Fiesta and other 4 cylinders first. It will be awhile before they have a version to handle that much torque.
    I don't really care much about HP rating, thus I don't care much if the new GM pony car has 300 or 400 HP.
    And exactly why there is no chance in the world that a 6 sp dual clutch auto can be used? Ford has that tranny I believe.
    ... It will be capable of 400 hp NA. ...

So is the 4.6L. Doesn't mean that it will have 400HP. I'll believe it when I see it w/ my own eyes. Don't get me wrong, I surely do HOPE that they do that, but they have a habit of not delivering on their promises.

I wouldn't exactly say the days of them being behind the competition are over. The 2010 Camaro is clear evidence of that! The base Camaro has nearly as much HP as the Mustang GT! And I doubt the 5L (if used) will be boosted to 500HP. For one, that'd be too close to the GT500. For two, if that's supposed to be for the GT500, I don't see them taking a 40HP deficit just to introduce a new engine; not unless they put the GT500 on a crash diet.
    Ford also has an IRS in the Explorer and Expedition. Does the Mustang get one? Nope. So just because they have something available doesn't mean they're going to use it in other vehicles in the lineup. (Yes, I know a truck IRS isn't likely going to retrofit to the Mustang. Don't go there! :P )
    And exactly why there is no chance in the world that a 6 sp dual clutch auto can be used? Ford has that tranny I believe.

You believe wrong. The ONLY dual clutch auto tranny (Ford calls it Powershift) available is in the Euro Fiesta and that's the only one we'll see for the next year at least and it's very torque limited. Development of powershifts with higher torque capacity is 2-3 years away. They're doing it but it will take time.
    The 4.6L is NOT capable of 400 hp naturally aspirated in a normal high volume production engine. And the 5.0L might not be 400 hp in a mustang but it will be close. These are the engine choices:

3.5L or 3.7L V6 - 265-280 hp (given the mustang's 400 lb weight advantage this will be dead even with the Camaro V6 - at worst)

Ecoboost 3.5L - 350 hp

5.0L V8 - 400 hp

6.2L V8 - 450 hp

Ecoboost 5.0L V8 - 500 hp?

The Ecoboost 3.5L might become the GT with the 5.0L V8 replacing the GT500. Or the EB 3.5L is a midlevel option and the GT gets the 5.0L V8 and the GT500 gets either a boosted 5.0L or the new 6.2L.

The point is by the end of next year Ford will have updated all of their old engines within the last 3 years, and most of the transmissions. The old 4.0L, 3.0L, 4.6L and 5.4L engines will be gone or on the way out. And they'll be competitive on both power and fuel economy. Just look at the Fusion for proof of what they can do when they're serious.

The Ecoboost 3.5L and 5.0L will also be used in the F150 but will be tuned for low end torque not max hp.
    thanks for the info...

I like the idea of the Ecoboost, yet I don't like the idea of the turbochargers. According to what I read and experience with turbochargers, you're getting better performance and fuel efficiency in this Ecoboost set up (V6 fuel economy for V8 power), yet with all turbochargers, they would require higher maintenance, and most important, a turbo cool down. Just the turbo cool down itself (my own opinion only) would steer me away from owning another turbo.
    And (again my own opinion only) good thing I don't really care for the performance # as long as I don't have the feeling like I'd towing a 10000lb piece of iron down the freeway while I'm driving, I'd be ok. So in this case, the current V8 in the stangs is good for me I guess, and the 3.7L in the MKS is plenty of power already.
    There is no "turbo cool down" or other similar problems that turbos experienced in the past. The ecoboost engines have been tested to last 10 yrs/150,000 miles just like every other part and every other vehicle that Ford makes.
    Hi, I am getting a crunching sound from the front driver side when making slow right handed turns on my '06 GT. Any ideas what it might be? I am thinking CV joints?? Only 28k mi unfortuately I just passed the 36 month warranty mark.
    Thanks
    The Mustang has no CV joints (except in the driveshaft.) It might be a bad wheel bearing, but a "crunching" sound isn't common w/ wheel bearings. Do you mean a grinding noise?

You might still be able to get the dealership to do a goodwill warranty repair. Also, check your warranty documents (in the owner's manual,) the powertrain/drivetrain warranty might be for 5/60.
    5/60 didn't start until 07 I believe. I know my 06 Fusion only has the 3/36.

I'd guess wheel bearing too, but it could be something loose in the hub/wheel area. Jack up each front wheel one at a time and spin them to find the noise.
  • fastdogsfastdogs Member Posts: 6
    I have read some of the previous postings here and discovered people are having the same problem I'm having with my 2005 Mustang. However most of the postings are very old and I'm looking to see if anyone has had any success with this particular issue:

I have a 2005 Mustang, V6 4.0L with manual. The first occurrence of stalling was about 2 years ago when I stopped at a stop sign. The car stalled and wouldn't restart after many attempts. I called a tow truck and waited. After about 15 minutes, I tried to start the car again, and it fired right up. The next day I brought it to a Ford dealer and they replaced the fuel pump.

Later in the year, the car started stalling again at lights and stop signs. However it would always re-start right away. Again, I brought it to the dealer, and they said they couldn't find anything wrong.

I'm now on year three of this intermittent problem and it seems to be occurring more frequently now. It stalled about a dozen times during a 25 mile trip yesterday. However, I made the same trip today and I didn't have an issue. The dealer today said they couldn't find anything wrong, and they even called the ford hot line.

Each time the issue has been the same, stalling (probably because of low idle) while the clutch is engaged at a stop. However one time, the worst, it happened while slowing to make a left turn. It stalled and left me in the oncoming traffic lane. And this time it wouldn't restart! This was about 2 weeks ago. As this was happening, I glanced at the instrument panel and discovered the car was in "fail safe" mode. It probably gave an error code, but because oncoming traffic was about to smash into me, I dont remember other details. I pushed the car to the side and it restarted about 10 minutes later.

Since that time, the battery was disconnected for a new stereo install, so the code was probably wiped from the computer. Chances of getting an error code again are slim, and until I get one, Ford is in denial.

Anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences? I can't find a pattern. A|C on or off, speed, heat, length of trip. All these have varied.
    thanks.
    From an Edmunds article about the Z51 Corvette:

...But wait, 67.9 mph? You'll note that this isn't even as fast as the solid-axle-equipped 2010 Mustang GT which manages 68.4 mph in the slalom. And this, friends, is hard to fathom. We put it down to a disheartening yaw response which we've experienced in other C6 Corvettes, namely the Z06. The Vette is simply unnerving in fast transitions or any corner that isn't perfectly smooth. And it shouldn't be.

Nor does it stop as short as it should. At 110 feet from 60 mph, it's outperformed by the less expensive, less sophisticated Mustang. And, again, it shouldn't be. ...

Very nice compliment!
  • gmac429gmac429 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2005 GT. The only difference is that mine have an automatic transmission. My local Ford dealer has told the same thing, that they cannot find anything wrong. May we need to contact our regional Ford director. Yes you are right there is no set pattern to this problem.
    I have an update. I drive the same route to work everyday but I dont always take the same car, but my dealer suggested I keep a log of when the problem happens. So for about a month I took the mustang consistently and found a pattern.

I fill the take at a gas station near my home and drive about 45 minutes to work by highway with minimal stop lights. When I drive home, about 15 minutes into the same route back, I hit a series of lights, if I miss the lights and have to press down on the clutch, the car stalls. My tank is about 7/8ths full. It will now stall every time I press the clutch, even when shifting! It continues until I get home, which is about another 30 minutes.

If I make the lights on the return home, I dont have the problem. It only happens at 7/8ths of a take and for that one journey. When I get home, cool the car, it runs fine.

Recently, the symptoms got much worse. It would stall and not restart. I would have to pull aside for 15 minutes and chug home. It would sputter and the failsafe light went on. The last time it happened, was the first time the failsafe light came on for stalling and the "not starting" problem was by far the worst.

I brought it to the dealership and the computer codes told them it was the throttle sensor. They replaced that, and broke the throttle body bolt. (thats another story).
    Anyway, the car came out running better than it was when it was new. It performs much better now so obviously there has always been something wrong with the sensor.

That said, I have not filled the tank yet and driven my route to work since it was fixed. So I dont know if they fixed the stalling issue or not. Since the last episode had many distinctive symptoms different from the original stalling issue, I doubt its fixed. I think it has something to do with the fuel tank. The 2005 mustang has alot of TSB's regarding the tank.

Fortunately my car has the extended warranty so I only had to pay a $100, plus I got those damn door handles fixed. Another TSB for those and they way they dont sit flush.

I will update you if the problem happens again.
    Thanks fastdogs. I was waiting to hear that key word, throttle sensor. I had a strange feeling that the throttle sensor could be the problem. I dropped prower to my car last night by disconnecting the battery. This evening after reconnecting the battery and driving it for about 1 hr the car ran fine. Not sure if this solved the probem but I will let you know. Thanks for the update fastdogs.
    Hey fastdogs. I have an update for you. I had my local Ford dealership replace the TPS sensor and you are abolutely correct It my a world of difference. The car has more power, the throttle response 100% better and I think that the mpg has increased. Thanks partner. Keep the Stangs rolling.
    Thats great to hear. I have filled up my tank and so far no problems, so my theory is shot. It looks like it was the sensor after all.

I think I'm getting a lot better mileage too. Its like a new car. Thanks for the update.
  • pdxshedevilpdxshedevil Member Posts: 4
    When I shut the overdrive off today all of a sudden the whole computer rebooted while I was doing at least 25-30 MPH, however the car kept running. at first I thought loose battery cable, but I again turned the overdrive off and again the system shut down and rebooted. After figuring some of what was going on I quit turning the overdrive off and the car ran fine all the way home. This is on a 2005 Ford Mustang V.6
    That is a weird issue, but it begs the question, "Why are you turning off OD, anyway?" And what do you mean "the whole computer rebooted?" You need to give us more details of what happened. What lights/messages were displayed on the dash? Were all the gauges still working? From the info you provided, it doesn't sound like a computer "reboot" at all; at least not the engine computer. If that was the case, the car would've stopped dead. It may be an issue w/ the Transmission Control Module (TCM.)

Details, please.
  • pdxshedevilpdxshedevil Member Posts: 4
    I was turning off the overdrive as there was a long line of mustangs on our tour to the beach which was a bumpy winding road and it seemed that I did not need to use my brakes as much with the overdrive off (the engine would slow enough as not to need the brakes all the time. The first time it happens I heard a slight pop from somewhere under the dash and then all of a sudden all my instrument lights lit up as they do when the car is being started,my radio has to be reset as it also lost power, and it automatically restarts it in overdrive, so not knowing I drove a while longer and then again turned off the overdrive and within 5-10 minutes it did it all over again. I tested my theory one more time and it happened again. For the remainder of the trip I left the switch alone and the car ran fine.