Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    A Ford dealer sales rep. :confuse:
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I was not able to get a lease payment estimate on a mustang on the Ford website so you may be correct. That's really strange. I knew they were being more conservative on the residual values but that's the first time I'd heard of a mfr refusing to lease a specific model.

Of course you can always lease through a 3rd party.
  • jace93jace93 Member Posts: 1
    I need help with possible solutions to my mustang problem. I have an 06 mustang gt 5 speed with 55,000 onit. I have long tube headers and h pipe and drag radials. Everthing else stock. The car has been this way since 07. Within the past 5 months a rattling noise has developed. It happens in turns left or right and also if I start driving or if I am driving and let of the gas. A small but obnoxious rattle which sounds like its coming from up front. In the turns the car bogs a little and then when you straight it is fine. I have had clutch, pp and to bearing checked. This noise I cannot recreate at idle when I rev the motor. Some people say its the rearend and the noise is traveling up to the front. I have checked all my exhaust clearances and all is well. Does anyone out there know what this could be? I have also had my car at ford and they dont know. HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPP!!!!!!!!!!
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Sounds like your rearend is on its way out the door. Could be the ring gear or the spider gears. Probably just the ring gear, though. I have a 3.55 ring and pinion I can sell to ya. It has less than 2,000 miles on it. Email me if you're interested. Subject: 3.55 Ring Gear
  • deadeye1deadeye1 Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering--How many of you press the button(right side) on gearshift lever to
    concel overdrive to decelerate when slowing down for a traffic signal and/or slow
    traffic ahead. I have a 07 V-6 convert. and do it often so as to use engine
    breaking to slow down and save the brakes ...
    and do it often so as to use engine
    breaking to slow down

Seems kind of drastic to break your engine just to slow down.......

Seriously though, you can buy a lifetime supply of brake pads for the cost of one transmission rebuild.......
    Sounds like you shoulda gotta standard. Nothing wrong with engine breaking IF you do it propperly. Modulating clutch pedal, ensuring rpms never exceed about 3k and the engine should always assist, not replace wholely,your breaks. I find this practice to be fun and effective, as well as a superior method of breaking over the middle pedal only. During emergency situations, it might be safer and quicker to just use your breaks. I believe automatics aren't suitable for engine breaking and wouldn't recommend it but give credit for the imagination. Getta stick:)

Merry Christmas

Joseph
    San Diego
    I guess I was being too subtle. Break is what you get when you overstress something. Brakes stop the car. Sorry - major pet peeve.
    Time to take a break from talking about breaking engines while braking.
  • colleenjcolleenj Member Posts: 1
    I've had basically the same problem since purchasing my '06 GT Stang (new with 526 miles on odometer). Mine is an automatic and it chugs or surges drastically after exiting the freeway and trying to merge with street traffic (I have a merge lane without a stoplight, so I do not always have to come to a complete stop). The dealer has never been able to pull a problem code or reproduce the problem on a test drive.
    I have this problem intermittently, no specific fuel level when it occurs and quite recently the car completely shut off while exiting the freeway (different exit). Luckily (or unluckily) I was literally across the street from a Ford dealership when this new problem happened. I was told my CAI was "loose" causing the car to stall and sputter while trying to coax it across the street to the dealership. $168 later, the dealership "tightened" the screws on the CAI and sent me on my "merry" way.
    I've replaced the fuel filter once and use Royal Purple for everything from oil to additives.
    On top of that, within the last 6 months my engine light has come on twice (my OBDII scanner cannot pick up a code). BTW the CAI and BBK throttle body were installed 2 years after I bought this vehicle, so I know they aren't the problem.
    I really don't trust most dealerships as I know they're all about money and not interested in customer service or owning up to inherent design flaws that cause these problems.
    So, is it the throttle position sensor or do I need to trade this in for a camaro? I've got a 12 pack and a pizza for anyone willing to come fix it... ;)
  • arx9968arx9968 Member Posts: 5
    today, first time ever, our tach died, the needle is pointing due south, and never moved. Car is is 28 degree cold weather, never a problem until now, and hasn't been driven but once a week. (shame on me). Can anyone tell me what the likely issue may be (fuse, cable, etc)? Help I don't trust FORD mechanics, they BS too much and charge an arm and a leg.
  • 06mustanky06mustanky Member Posts: 10
    It wouldn't be the tps. If it was, it would code out ( I think on 2135 Mine has already had a bad tps ) , and put the car in limp mode and the check engine light would stay on until cleared manually.
  • gaelinicgaelinic Member Posts: 2
    $27,0000 for a new 2009 Ford Mustang GT with 5-speed manual.

It has the following:
    Model Year: 2009
    Make: Ford
    Model: Mustang
    Style Name: 2dr Cpe GT Premium
    Vehicle Trim: GT Premium
    Body Type: Coupe
    Exterior Color: Ebony
    Interior Color: Dark Charcoal

Displacement: 4.6L/281
    Engine Order Code: 99H
    Engine Type: Gas V8
    Fuel System: SEFI
    SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM: 300 @ 5750
    SAE Net Torque @ RPM: 320 @ 4500

It is an anniversary edition with a glass roof. I have never seen this feature before. It is a large tinted roof and you pull the shade closed to block out the light. It's not a sunroof. It also has a GPS and shake 500 sound system.

The lines on the baby make it look like a Bullit edition Mustang. The dealer claims the price dropped from $36 grand to the current price. I'm getting a Mustang this year but didn't know if this was quite the killer deal they lead me to believe.

Or, should I just hold off for the 2011 V6 Mustang?

Thanks.
    Personally I would wait for either the 2011 V6 or V8 models if you can. When you're ready to buy, go to edmunds.com or kbb.com and figure out the dealer invoice price for the vehicle and add $500 to account for the FDAF advertising fee that is part of the actual factory invoice but is not included in the online dealer invoice pricing. Then subtract all available rebates and incentives. That will be very close to the actual dealer invoice price and would represent the lowest price you could reasonably expect to pay. Anything less would be gravy. You might have to pay up to $500 over invoice depending on inventory levels and demand but $0 - $500 over invoice is usually a good price for most vehicles.

Also be aware there is usually a dealer documentation fee which is anywhere from $50 - $400. This is purely additional dealer profit so make sure you figure that into the total out the door cost when comparing prices from different dealers.

If you use X plan, you'll pay about $200 over invoice with a $75 doc fee - non-negotiable.
    If the $27K the out the door price that's not to bad. I would buy it if i were you.
    I personally like the 05-09 better than the new style 2010. I paid 28.3 for my 06 out the door and it doesn't have a glass roof which i like.

I think they people at ford missed a golden opportunity to use other retro traits from the past on the new mustang but didn't. IE. a differnt fast back etc. The back end of the new one looks "europeanized" to me. IMHO
    Who says they won't add those in the next few years?
  • ilcooljilcoolj Member Posts: 14
    They're all garbage, the hell with Ford !
    My '06 stalls out 30-40 mph whenever it wants. Its very tempermental, I took it to several dealers and after replacing the fuel pump if nothing else its continued to stall out. No one has been able to fix it no codes either. I say trade it for a Camaro its what im about do! Forget about Ford.
    If you think mustangs have issues, then you shouldn't even consider a Camaro. They're having serious problems and they haven't even been out a year now.
    I'll do my homework and look at the Camaro and if it is what you say it is... Then i'll consider something else but my mustangs days are numbered as far as im concerned...
    I own a 2010 Mustang GT, and put 8000 miles on'er. My girl has a 2005 Ford Focus, ..she's put over 105,000mi on it. Other than the Stang's passenger seat belt light comming on all the time, and the Focus's squeaky breaks..I'd say they're solid cars. I can't say about the 2005 Stang, but mine feels strong and reliable so far and I ride'r hard pretty much every single day. Now, I've driven Hondas, Toyotas, and even BMW's. For me, Ford reliability has been on par with my 2000 Toyota Camry..and is far more reliable than my 08 BMW 335.

I'd recommend Ford based upon my experience.

In fact, I'd be comfortable getting Ford's 2011 5.0 GT on its first year out! If you're nervous about it, I'll tell you now, the 2010 4.6L is solid. I looked at the Camaro..it's a tank, with poor visibility front and rear, and unfortunately, Chevy has one of the worst reliability records. Check out consumer reports.

There is no other car out there that can compare with the Stang at its price point. I've checked them all out. I bought my base 2010 GT for 25k (with 3.73 gear ratio package). Price creeps up fast when you pile on options though. The nearest better car, with comparable muscle, is obviously a BMW 335..but that's $15k more..and doesn't have the reliability you're looking fore. The G37 and 370Z might be an option but they'll also cost more than the Stang and offer different fashion. Don't even think about fwd Honda Civic Si, or Mazdaspeed3, or ven VWJetta..they all suck in the torque department big time or suffer from nasty torque steer.

good luck with your choice,

Joseph
    San Diego
  • bloopxdbloopxd Member Posts: 1
    so i picked up a 2005 mustang...worst buy of my life. so many things wrong with it that i was not informed of. but i brought it to a ford dealer because when i let my foot slight off the brake it would shake. fords telling me that two out of the 6 cylinders are not working and my compression is low and that i need a new engine.

do i need a new engine? and could it be something else smaller that i can just repair without buying a new engine?

theyre also saying theres only one engine left in the country which is total bs,
    It depends on why the compression is low.

If it's a head/valve problem that head can be can be repaired/replaced.

If it's a cylinder/ring problem you'll need a bottom end rebuild or used replacement engine may be cheaper.

Find out specifically what is causing the low compression, if they haven't already told you.

Ford dealers won't rebuild an engine for the most part. they recommend a replacement.

You can probably shop around and get a better deal from a good mechanic that at the ford dealer. IMHO
  • woytasczykwoytasczyk Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyones rear defrost tab has come off of the glass? If so what action was taken?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    I was reading a Motor Trend article on the the 2011 3.7 V-6. The article mentioned a Performance Package ($1995) which gave upgrades to suspension and wheels. However, when I go to the Ford website there is no mention of this package. Was the Motor trend article wrong? It sounded like the V-6 could be a really nice car with 300+ hp and pulling .96g. Wow!

How come the Ford site makes no mention of a Performance Package?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• nomowhalenomowhale Member Posts: 17
    I have read in several places that it will be available late this summer. See this media release from November of 2009:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31279
    "...available late summer..."

Thanks, I can't wait. :)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    I have placed an order for my version of an economy car that can simultaneously accomodate my needs for speed and acceleration along with a rated 31 miles per gallon when gasoline conservation seems appealing. I was just informed that I may have to wait until September production, but the final details are currently out. Dealer ordered cars for placing in their stock seldom are set up just as you might prefer, but waiting for a special order has its own agonies!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I hope you do a lot of gentle highway driving if you expect 31 MPG.

And yes, I realize I'm replying to a 5-month-old post, but something needs to wake this forum up!
    Excellent idea on your part. Let's get this rolling again, if we can.

Would you believe that just two days ago, I took delivery. The wait was just enough over the limit to make me wonder if I will ever special order a Ford again! Am I off base to be thinking other manufacturers might be more interested in getting to such special orders?
    "...I took delivery..."

Well, late is better than never like some other car companies. May I ask what options did you ordered? I hope you got the performance package. How did the special order effect your final price?

As long as I'm giving you the 3rd degree I might as well ask how the V-6 base model handles without the performance package. All the road tests say it pulls a .95 lateral G with the summer tires. I was wondering how it does with the standard suspension and all-seasons.

I have owned many rather high performance motorcycles and strong engined cars and trucks, but this is my first ownership of a so-called pony car or sports coupe. I bought this vehicle to satisfy myself that you can buy a grocery-gitter that puts out high mileage like an el cheapo no-performance econocar, yet will keep you smiling when your whim turns to G forces and acceleration. It is a stone cold winner! Don't forget that the 305 horse power is not much short of last year's V8 horsepower, as the magazine columnists tell us. It corners better than any four-wheeler I recall ever owning. On the other hand, it is not as nailed to the pavement as a Porsche 911 I drove some years back, but is that a fault? Hardly!
    With deliberate intent I left off the electronic communication and entertainment packages, feeling that the car might entertain me by itself. The Michelins (green rated) are absolutely superb on the street and highway. My only option ordered was the automatic transmission. My window sticker was essentially $24K.
    edited November 2010
    ADDENDUM::
    If you're interested, I paid cash to trade, and that makes it hard to say what my real cost was for the Mustang. I'll tell you this, I got it through a dealership in Rushville, the Sand Hills area of the Nebraska panhandle, some 400 miles from my home.
  • ccvssccvss Member Posts: 1
    Go to overstock.com, click on cars, then type in your zip code, make and model and you should get a good deal on a 2011 Mustang.

2011 2dr Coupe Premium is $29905 for Chicago area and you get 412 HP and 390 Torque, the extra $2000 obo is worth the extra 112 HP, or get the 2011 V6 with 305 HP and 280 Torque for $23605, plus tax, dest and so on...

Good Luck and Enjoy!!!
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Hi guys, I'm a stranger here in the Ford forums, hope there's someone who can answer this. A young friend of mine is considering buying a 2006 Mustang convertible with 66,000 miles on it. Price asked is $10,000. That seems low to me; does that sound like a fair price to you all, too high, too low, suspect in any way? I don't know what all is on the car so it's a bit hard to judge, but autotrader typically shows prices in the upper teens.

Second question: what might he expect to pay for insurance in the L.A. area, anyone know?

Thanks for your help.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    V-6 or V-8?
  • arx9968arx9968 Member Posts: 5
    Something is definitely wrong with the car. Don't buy it. A 2005 GT with 50K miles should sell for 16K on the lot.
    Thanks. It's a V-6 Deluxe.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Its a little low, but still above wholesale (which is $8500-$9k). Is it private party or dealer? I would have it thoroughly checked out, of course.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Dealer.

I think he's trying to stay within a budget and this seemed like a good deal. I suggested that he look very carefully for things like uneven tire wear, paint differences or other clues that might indicate the car had been in an accident, that sort of thing. Who knows, sometimes dealers just want to move a car off the lot, but it did raise my eyebrows a bit when I saw that other, comparable cars listed on Autotrader had asking prices several thousand dollars higher.
    Are we done?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    No, we were just taking a nap while we waited for you to return -- welcome back!

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    edited July 2011
    I'm shopping for a GT premium convertible right now. I test drove a lava red one with accessory package 6 (hood scoop, pedestal spoiler, side scoops and decklid trim panel), Brembro brake package and the electronics package. The lava red is really just black with red flakes/sparkles in it which you had to look closely to even see, at least in daylight. I had a 1972 Mustang convertible in high school and this one is far better looking with three times the power and 100 times the safety/technology. I'm on the fence about the hood and side scoops though. Not sure if they make it look meaner and more masculine or just boy-racer goofy. I'm also concerned about these pieces fading over time or coming loose.

The test drive lasted about half an hour. Drove it with the top up and down on highway and back roads. What an awesome car! The sound of the engine is mellifluous. I was pleased to find that is cruises comfortably at legal speeds. I didn't feel the need to get on it constantly. Gobs of power when you do though with very smooth delivery and rides real nice. Not too firm or soft. The manual transmission felt great - short throws, snick-snick. Shame on all of you who even consider getting a Mustang GT with an automatic transmission BTW. The nav screen looks real nice. Didn't play with it too much but have read great things about the Ford sync system.

For comparison purposes, I went to the Chevy dealer yesterday and drove a Camaro convertible. Nice enough car but it really pales in comparison to the Mustang. Styling is of course subjective but the Camaro is really chunky and cartoonish in my opinion. Side/rear visibility is poor in both cars but worse in the Camaro. The Mustang also has the integrated "spotter" mirrors in the top outer corner which really does help with visibility when changing lanes. The Camaro does not even have nav as an option. The engine/exhaust noise is also much quieter (possibly the best feature of the Mustang). The Camaro was the same price as the Mustang too - even without the nav. I told the Chevy salesman thanks for the test drive but no chance. He did tell me that he had a 2009 Shelby GT500 convertible on the used car lot with only 1500 miles on it and would I like to drive that - YES! It was white with the old nav (no sync or satellite) and was also a manual. Price was about the same as the other two new, $42K. That thing is a monster! Heavy clutch, lots of supercharger whine (actually distracting, not pleasant) but boy-oh-boy what acceleration. That thing can move. The interior already felt dated compared to the new Mustang GT. It was a ton of fun but don't think that much power is really necessary on a day-to-day basis. And I'd be concerned about reliability. I'll stick with the naturally aspirated engine.

So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy a 2012 Mustang GT premium convertible in the next few months depending on what inventory shows up at the local dealers. I don't want the Brembro brakes - they don't seem worth the money to me. And I have to have the tech package. I'm not overly picky about the remaining options but will likely custom order the exact car I want if I cant find one I like.
  • lasvegasloanmlasvegasloanm Member Posts: 1
    Nephew driving on highway, started to decellerate when mashing the accelerator, pulled over popped the hood and saw that it was overheating. From a first glance it appeared that the overheating came from the thermostat housing area, so we bought a new thermostat and gasket/o ring and replaced it. Filled the car with antifreeze and as we were filling it started pouring out from a spot behind the thermostat housing area. This area appears to be the intake manifold. The gas guage needle appears to be upside down between the E and Full markers.........the car has gas even added 2 more gallons just to be sure...........we seperated the fuel line and bumped the ignition and fuel came out from the line, so I am assuming that we have pressure............checked fire from the coil pack to #4 spark plug wire and we are getting fire. Any suggestions?
  • jpspeedjpspeed Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to get an Exhaust system for my new Shelby GT 500, what should i get? I am looking at some Magnaflow exhausts,

kind of confused which one will be the best, 15589, 15590, 15593, 15594?

Also has anyone heard of Magnaflowdepot.com?? they have 25% off on all Magnaflow Exhausts at their website, its kind of a weird how the website works, you have to bid, i tried all different numbers, but i think it is set at 25% off.

Anyone purchased from them?? are they Legit??

if anyone can Please advise me on the Exhaust?
    Why on Earth would you want to do that?
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Ugh
    Just to comment on magnaflowdepot.com, it states right on their front page that they accept offers UP TO 25% off, which is pretty dumb. Why don't they just price it at 25% off and leave it at that??

And, just FYI, they certainly aren't the cheapest. Just as an example, I looked up a cat for a BMW 335i (part #49768). Magnaflowdepot lists it at $382. With 25% off, it would be $285. Amazon has the same one for $129.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jpspeedjpspeed Member Posts: 2
    hahaha.. yeah I suppose, but its not quite as dump they are bypassing the Magnaflow Minimum advertised Policy, that is actually quite smart to have a website set up that way to offer discounted price.

I checked the Magnaflow part number:49768 on amazon and everywhere else not surprisingly it is listed at 380.82 right on the dot.

I ended up buying Magnaflow 15589 from them,

http://magnaflowdepot.com/p/magnaflow-ford-mustang-stainless-cat-back-system-per- formance-exhaust-15589

I got it for $572.91. It got to me quick and in good shape, now i just got to have it installed. :D:D:D:D
    darn. Can't find that cheap 335 one on amazon now. You are right, they are now all showing $380.xx. Ha. Guess I should have bought it when I saw it. :blush:

Good price on the Mustang exhaust. That's showing up at $763 on amazon.

Is that really an upgrade for the GT500, though? What size tubing is stock?