Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

1515253545557»

Comments

• rockshorerockshore Member Posts: 1
    I had the 06 V6 automatic and it was doing what everyone is describing on here, except for the roof thing because it wasn't a convertable.

I took it to the dealer a few times and they eventually replaced the fuel pump. It felt like it had more power going on the on ramp but eventually the 30-40mph acceleration lag started to happen again a little bit and also if you come to a complete stop and then try to jump on it, it will drop you down below 1500rpm.

This is the most confusing thing that has ever happened in my life, owning this car. It looked good and I kept it really nice and clean.. waxed it a bunch of times and such but it just didn't perform.

I traded for 09 GT and this car has a lot more power, this time I got manual, and it doesn't hesitate or lag or any of that nonsense. It also feels like a sports car rather than any car that you go and drive.

Next time I buy a car, I doubt I'll do this again though. When you have a V8 and a manual transmission it is easy to get carried away and I think for my next car I'm going to see what is available with automatic and the usual acceleration capability compared to other cars on the road.

When you have any car with a V8 in it, there's always going to be people trying to show off on neighboring streets and stuff. I didn't really consider that when purchasing the car and this is nothing you ever learn unless you experience it.

I'd say that if you just go grab a car similar to what most other people commute with you are fine.

This V6 stuff was a very hard lesson learned. Money is NOT easy to come by and this sort of thing is enough to keep you up all night or not be able to get enough sleep

Good luck to anyone who got in the same tangle as I did, but I wish I had the last several years of my life back. Ford really did me a disfavor here. If I knew about all of this, I would have gone straight to the Acura dealer in 2006. And no I have never ever owned a Japanese car nor do I work for a dealer or auto manufacturer.

good luck and God bless you people.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    edited March 2012
    Last November my wife gave me a 2010 GT convertible w/black cloth top. It was well cared for and looks sexy good because it has an appearance package (larger hood scoop, pedestal spoiler, side scoops and decklid trim panel).

The automatic transmission is okay for me, I like it. The manual transmissions seem to have more issues, of course there are probably more Mustangs equipped with them..

It's been nice to drive it this winter down here in the southeast. Many top down days this year. Even though it's old, I keep it looking like new and always get compliments.

If I had to do it over, then I'd probably shop for one without the appearance package because it limits driver visibility.

But, considering it is the smallest V8 motor ever put in a Mustang (281 cubic inches) the dratted appearance package provides ounce of image which is worth a pound of performance :D
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    "The manual transmissions seem to have more issues"

says who?
    edited March 2012
    Having read some of the Mustang forums on the internet. The '010's manuals were supposedly 'made in china' and have issues. Actually there are some posts at TownHall about Mushrat manual transmissions from different years,,, '06 seems to be problematic. If you check with Ford, then they may give you exact data on transmission repair if it is important to you.

Hope your not too sore about my little comment...but, we know you are emotionally biased concerning automatics.
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    LOL. No, it was an honest question, don't read too deep into it. I was just looking for your source. I got it. ;)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners and shoppers of the new Mustang. What do you think of its design? Thanks for responding to pr@edmunds.com by midday Monday, March 27, 2012 with your thoughts and your contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited March 2012
    What kind of compensation does Edmunds ask for when providing these services?

What/who qualifies as your definition of a "reporter"?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If we help them find a consumer, we ask that they mention Edmunds in their article, or that the respondent participates on our site. That's it. No one PAYS for stories. That would be... weird. Our communications group is thrilled that a number of major media (newspaper, magazine, television) sources look to us as a resource to get quality consumer commentary on automotive matters.

Reporters would be professional writers/reporters. It won't be Joe's Big Auto Blog - in general most people would be familiar with the organization seeking commentary.

It's totally optional - we don't push anyone to respond. However, we've received nothing but positive feedback from members who have elected to participate.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kblerkbler Member Posts: 1
    I think Its the (TPS) throttle position sensor. The one under the hood, not under the dash. Same thing happened to my wifes 06 mustang. It was installed incorrectly from the factory. If you take the two screw out of it and it dont slide right off then you got one that was installed wrong too. mine they removed this metal clip and rotated the switch sideways and forced it on. It does work like this but gives strange throttle response and after 6 years, finally threw up a code and put car into limp mode. Replaced it with a new one (installed correctly) and problem solved. Think it was $40 to $60.
    Her mustang would squeal tires one time leaving a stop light and next time would barely move under same pedal placement. Hope this helps.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    Anyone have any good photos of what the new style will look like? Any opinions on whether these changes are a good thing?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Check out the Evos concept. That's a BIG clue.
  • geoffmustanggeoffmustang Member Posts: 1
    I am buying a 2006 Gt with only 17,000 miles on it. I read in consumer reports that there are issues with the drive system and electrical issues. I investigated the electrical issues further on the internet and found a lot of people had issues with the battery draining among other things. Should I be worried?
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Spy Photos

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Thanks. Gullwing(?) entry and slender headlamps will help transform the 'Stang into a new era of styling for the future? Looks like a subtile transformation from tradition though.

It appears the chassis could be a little more compact than today's production models (2010-2014). IMO, Mustang is rather large sporty vehicle in today's world - which is okay.

It's hard to tell much from those photos.