Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Yep...I've never heard of people getting worked up over Camaros or Firebirds, and Barracudas and Challengers were short-lived period pieces.

Even when GM decided to end F-body production recently, there was a little more than a slight outcry. Contrast that with Ford's 1980s consideration of a fwd Mustang (what would eventually become the Probe) and the firestorm it provoked.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    GM has done some unfathomable things - eliminating the large RWD cars, the F-bodys and basically conceding both markets to Ford. Wonder why they're losing so much market share? And some people here actually think GM is coming back!
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    LOL! There is a topic on Edmunds with that name. I subscribe to it for a good laugh.
  • tayllortayllor Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, John, for your response. I'm looking forward to trying out the new Mustang. Anyone know when they're expected to be available? I hope I don't have to wait until the end of the year.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Production of the coupe begins on September 7th. Expect them to hit showrooms very late in September or the beginning of October.

The vert will begin production sometime in late January which was recently moved up from mid-February.

From what I've read they are now beginning to build early pre-production models at AAI. Don't expect to be able to buy one of them though. You'll probably see one in a magazine for a road test instead. ;)
  • oldmanoldman Member Posts: 35
    So far as I can see from a distance, I believe Al-Quaida has taken over control of "the general", which explains why GM is claiming to be on a comeback while nosediving into the ground with stupid, out-of-touch product lines. The corporate crater will be huge on this one! Honestly how else can one explain the absurdity of products offered by this marque? If I had the courage of my convictions I'd buy Ford stock while it is in the dumpster like it was in the late 70's. If you'd bought it then, by 1995 or so you'd have made a ton of $$. The Taurus model was the breakthrough model. Could the new retro mustang be their next savior??? What do you think???
    I'm not sure that the Mustang will be the "savior", but it surely will help. The buzz this car has been creating is phenomenal. Everyone I know has either seen or heard about it and can't wait to see one in person.

Now if Ford plays it's cards right and releases the Futura (which won't be called the Futura anymore because of the Pep Boys tire brand) on time, they should be back in full swing again. I say this because the Mustang will certainly generate more showroom traffic, but it's not for everyone. The Futura (rumor says it might be named the Four Hundred) on the other hand is for everyone and could very well be the next Taurus. We won't know for sure until Ford shows us a production version but things are looking up! Let's not forget about the Five Hundred too.

Like you said, if I also had the courage of my convictions, I'd have bought Ford stock a year ago. ;)

In case you're wondering about the Futura, it's based on the Mazda6 (I am currently leasing one and it is an amazing car), will have a hybrid system as an option a year or so after launch, and can be fitted with an AWD drivetrain. It should be quite a nice ride!

That's just what I think. Take it for what you will. :)
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The Lincoln version just debuted at the New York Auto Show last week. It's called the Zephyr and looks great. Anyone worried about 'rebadging' of the Mazda6 needn't be - it looks nothing like a Mazda, inside or out.
    No doubt about it that the Futura looks good so far...I'm just surprised that Ford didn't bring back the "Galaxie" name for it, or maybe the "Falcon". Much cooler than Futura or 400...

Ford currently makes a Falcon for the Aussie market, and it sells quite well.

Retro names attached to modern cars is a nice link with the past IMO. Sure, not all of a company's line should revisit old names, but a few sprinkled around can't hurt.
    "Sure, not all of a company's line should revisit old names, but a few sprinkled around can't hurt."

I agree, but Ford lost a few of their old names along with a new one like "Futura". There's a list somewhere out there but I can't remember where it is.

They've also been re-securing some of the old names to make sure they don't lose them too.

"Anyone worried about 'rebadging' of the Mazda6 needn't be"

That's right. The Lincoln and Ford versions are definitely not re-badges. They are just going to be built on the same solid and flexible platform.
  • oldmanoldman Member Posts: 35
    Isn't there also a rumored Ford to be built off the Volvo S80 P2 platform? The pix thought to be that car was really modern and chique looking, and let me tell ya, the Volvos are fine machines in the luxo market. It might well be high time they junked the Mercury marque and just used the Jag and Volvo marques for luxury. The Lincolns just don't differentiate enough to garner a different clientel IMHO. GM is deader than a doornail if truck sails ever tank from high fuel costs, or if boomers stop buying them when their kids are gone. That's when I think Fords product line will eat GM alive.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    I beleive that is the upcoming Freestyle/500.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy is right. The Freestyle (not to be confused with the Freestar minivan) and the Five-Hundred (500 for short) are both built upon the S80 platform.

The 500 and "Futura" are replacements for the Taurus. One is a little bigger and one is a little smaller respectively. Same goes for the price.

I've seen the 500 at the car show and it is quite nice. Pictures don't do it justice. I can't wait to see what comes out of the professional test drives in the coming months!
  • kenm8kenm8 Member Posts: 71
    The latest issue (4-19-2004) of Autoweek Magazine is devoted to 40 years of Mustang and features the 2005 GT-R.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Don't forget the Freeport and the Freewilly. Oh, how I wish Bill would drop the fetish with alliteration.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Celicas sell so poorly now, they are not even mentionable. The FWD coupe segment once was a challenge to true sporty cars. But, FWD cannot compete head to head, despite what all the "Civic tuners" think.

As such, FWD "sporty coupes" are quite possibly a diminishing breed.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    Does anyone know if the '05 will have a power sunroof as a factory-installed option?

I know it hasn't been an option in the past - I guess Ford figures if you want the roof to open, you can pop for the convertible.

I was looking at an '05 at the Minneapolis Auto Show last month and there didn't seem to be a whole lot of roof between the windshield and the rear window, so perhaps my wish is somewhat impractical...
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    Got your attention, </:^p.

Automotive News sez Ford Execs are speculating that Mustangs may be in short supply during the summer of '04 as they are selling at a fast clip (+16% over '03) and production lines will have to be shut down for conversion to the new '05 design.

'04 Convertibles are expected to run out first as sales typically accelerate with the coming of warmer weather.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Got your attention, </:^p.

Automotive News sez Ford Execs are speculating that Mustangs may be in short supply during the summer of '04 as they are selling at a fast clip (+16% over '03) and production lines will have to be shut down for conversion to the new '05 design.

'04 Convertibles are expected to run out first as sales typically accelerate with the coming of warmer weather.

• stylinstang05stylinstang05 Member Posts: 2
    The reasons I can't wait to get an 05 mustang is first because it is totally awesome, and second so I can burn all of the imports running around on the street. Half of the imports are all show and no go anyway!
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    What's the word on the new Mustang's backseat?

I'm not nice enough to my friends to look for a 4door car, but I do drive them around a lot so rear seat room is a consideration.
    The backseats in the '05 will have a tiny bit more room than the las gen. Then again, there wasn't much there to begin with.

Just don't take your friends on long trips. ;)
    +16% over last year? Now who was saying that sales of the current model would tank because EVERYONE would know there's a new model coming out and would wait to buy it?
    back seat room is not one...never has been going all the way back to '64-1/2.

I saw a nice '66 convertible yesterday, pale yellow, top-down. :^)

• kenm8kenm8 Member Posts: 71
    A recent post comments on FWD imports and Mustang. A well designed FWD car can handle very well and be fun to drive. Check out R & T Magazine for its standardized 700 ft slalom tests on some sporting FWD cars vs Mustang. Latest issue shows FWD Acura and Mini Cooper faster than pre 2005 Mustang.
    Mustang Mach I - 65.5 MPH
    Mustang SVT Cobra - 63.5 MPH
    Acura RSX Type S - 66.8 MPH
    Mini Cooper S - 69.5 MPH

How will the 05 Mustang do in slalom? Might not want to take on FWD Acura or Mini in the twisties with a Mustang, especially if the road surface is not glass-smooth.
    a lighter vehicle will usually beat a heavy one in slaloms, less weight transfer going back-and forth thru the cones. Notice how well the lightweight MCS does.

Again, with their relatively high weight and nose heaviness combined with relatively slow steering
    Mustangs, whatever their other virtues, have never been ideal for slalom work.

• justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    should be significantly improved over the outgoing version. check out the distance between the front axle plane and the base of the windshield/firewall: most of the engine (especially the v6) should reside aft of the axle...very good setup for neutral handling....another reason why v6 mustangs will generally handle better over their v8 counterparts...less weight over the front axle.

it's really too bad that the 4.0 will not have an aluminum block...that would significantly improve the balance of the car. looking at the pictures, the balance will be immensely improved over the 04 but the lesser weight would further help the equation. jackg
    The new 3.5 duratech should make it even better when it replaces the 4.0.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    People have mentioned cost as one reason that the 4.0 Cologne engine was chosen instead of the current 30 Duratec for the v6 car.

There is however a more obvious and compelling reason...

the Mustang is REAR DRIVE!

Its a pain in the neck to configure an engine from latitudal mounting as in a FWD car to Longitudal mounting as in a RWD.

The 4.0L Cologne is setup for rear drive. the Duratecs are FWD engines.

This is also the reason that the Escape got a duratec, its fwd/4wd. and the Jag X-type got AWD... it has a duratec based v6 (fwd only in a jag would be sacrelige)

Also SOHC engines have inherent different characteristics than DOHC engines. Typically they produce more low-end torque. Ideal for a truck application of a car that is intended to be quick off the line like a Mustang.

anyway in my "expert" opinion, don't wait for the 35 Duratec cause it will be a long one.

Mark
    The Lincoln LS uses a 3.0 Duratech V6 in a RWD car. The now departed continental used a 4.6L Intech in a FWD car. It's not THAT hard, as long as there is room in the engine bay.

I'm reasonably sure Ford already said they would be using the 3.5 and the 4.0 was a stopgap, but I'll have to double check.
    FWIW The Jag S-Type uses the 3.0L Duratec in a RWD config as well.

Both it and the LS come from the DEW98 platform which the '05 Mustang is loosely based on.

I think a couple of other points mschmal made are more likely. 1. The Duratec is too expensive and they want to keep the base price down. 2. The 4.0L makes more low end torque and at a lower RPM. The Duratecs need more RPM to make the same power. Therefore the 4.0L is a better fit for a sports car.

The 3.5 is a different story though. I think it's too close to the GT's 300HP for Ford's liking and, again, it'll cost too much.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    I don't think the they have the capacity to build enough Duratec 30s to put it in the Mustang, they currently use that engine in the Taurus/Sable, Lincoln LS, Jaguar XJ6, S-Type, and X-Type, Ford Escape, Mazda 6, Mazda Tribute, Mazda MPV, come fall it will aso be in the Mercury Mariner, and Montego, and the Ford Five Hundred and Freestyle. Also it is unlikely that Ford's performance objectives for the Mustang could be met with the Duratec unless it was tuned for premium fuel as in the LS, something that Ford is unlikely to do given that they made designing the GT's new 3 valve 4.6l V8 to run on regular a priority. The Duratec 35 is another matter: It'll be torquier than the 30, lighter than the 4.0 litre SOHC, and should be cheaper to build that the Duratec 30 due to new casting processes and global parts sourcing. Iwouldn't be surprised to see it in the Mustang, especially if fuel prices stay high.
    Okay, I want it on record that way back when I predicted that the current Mustang design would sell quite well and would not sit on dealer lots as the 2005 approached. I was ridiculed at the time, but now... ; )

Re the slalom time question previously discussed, I think another proof re size of the car mattering quite a lot is that a V6 Mustang will out-slalom a BMW 5 series easily. It's in the Edmunds review even. And it's not like BMWs are mediocre-handling cars...
  • mustangman2005mustangman2005 Member Posts: 1
    I looked up alot of info on the new 2005 mustang, but i can't find a quote. I wanna know how much it will cost?Does any1 know the estimated price? If so, email me at Bballr7@aol.com Thanx much
  • redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
    We Mustang Builders @ AAI...are not being
    advised how much it will cost.
    Orders can be submitted 5/17/04
    Hey, redcOugar. Were you at AAI when they were building the Mercury Cougar? If so, you guys built my 2001 Mercury Cougar C2 and I'd like to compliment you guys on the great job on my Cougar. I've loved every second that I've owned her and she has been 100% reliable.

That said, I'm still looking forward to trading her in on an 05 Mustang GT. :)
    Should be within a few hundred of the current car.
    Wildcat,

I left AAI the beginning of 2000 for a couple of years, on an assignment where the Lincolns are built. Two years ago I returned to AAI, per
    request of my Husband.
    Thank you kindly for the compliment on the Cougar. I had a '99, and loved the car...mine was a HE not a She like yours (mine had a stick).
    A year ago I sold my Cat for a Continental. My Husband is a little upset, because I want to sell my Lincoln for the Cobra we will build. My pony will be a Male too!

p.s. Wildcat,
    are you a Ford employee?
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    one of the auto shows on yesterday said the gt would start at 25k...now the bs part: i would love to see a completely different take on the boss mustang from 69/70: my dream machine would use the duratec 3.0 with variable valve timing...something light weight and you could rev the pxxxout of it...the handling would be superb with the little v6 over the front...they could use an irs over the solid rear end and use a light weight interior possibly, for further weight reduction...dreaming, i know.

one question on a more practical note: does anyone know if HID will be offered on the 05? also, i wonder if the gt interior will be offered as an option on the v6 model...hopefully, the 05 will have a long list of standalone options so we customize our stangs...jackg
    Wow, from a Cougar to a Continental and hopefully to a Cobra? Talk about covering from one end of the auto spectrum to the other. WOW! :)

No, I'm not a Ford employee. Just a lifelong Ford Fanatic. :)

You are very welcome on the compliment. My girlfriend is on her second 626 and hasn't had any issues either. She had a 95 and the current one is a 99. We should get a discount for being frequent AAl buyers since she is now looking into buying a Mazda 6 and I want an 05 Mustang. :)

Any word on when the Mustang SVT Cobra will hit the market or if there will be a specialty Stang anytime soon? ie: Mach 1, Boss, etc...
    wildcat,
    The Cobra is rumored to be available sometime mid-2006 as a 2007 model. Other rumors report anywhere from 450-500 HP under the Cobra hood. Should be worth the wait if you can afford one. ;)

redc0ugar,
    I recently leased a redfire '04 Mazda6s MTX (built in March 2004) and couldn't be more happy with it. I am driving it while I wait to buy a leftover 2006 Mustang or a new 2007 Mustang. The Mazda6 is an outstanding vehicle and it is built like a brick house. I have no doubt that the Mustang will continue that trend.

Keep up the good work up there. You folks are going to make the Mustang one outstanding and highly desirable car!

P.S. I already convinced (actually his test drive of mine did the trick) my cousin to buy a Mazda6 too. He's now zoom zooming around in a black '04 Mazda6s MTX and loving every minute of it too!

BTW, he traded in an '02 Accord SE for it.
    Wildcat,
    I love cars and music. The Lincolns have the best stereo systems to listen to my favorite artist...Clapton. After speaking with the engineers, I've learned the Pony will have a gr8 sound system too! I miss not being able to shift gears & drive like bat outta hell. I'm hearing the Cobra will not go into production for another year...I think I'll settle for a GT.
    p.s. If you want my discount...keep me informed.

Baggs,
    What can I say Pal...I LOVE YOU! What a nice Man you are. You've always been a huge advocate for AAI and the cars we build. From the bottom of my heart Thank You!
    p.s. I can offer more than a few discounts on vehicles.
    Gosh, I hope Rich aka Audiaq doesn't read this.
    I thought Mach 1000 in the current Mustangs was supposed to be a pretty good stereo?

Thanks for the offer on the discount. I just might have to take you up on that! :)
  • stylinstang05stylinstang05 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone think that there will be alot of good mods for the 2005 mustang? I would just wait for the cobra, but I don't think I could stand it.
    No problem. I'll keep doing what I can to keep your lines moving up there! ;)

I won't tell Rich if you don't. :)
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    My wife and I have owned a 1966 red Mustang 6 cyl 'Sprint' edition convertible for the 17 yrs we have been married. We are both very excited about the new generation Mustang and plan to buy one.

It's high time to join the forum here and start learning more about what you have all been saying about the car both to educate us and to help figure out when we should plan the purchase. I'm somewhat reluctant to buy one of the first year cars just to let some of the 'kinks' get ironed out but it sure would be fun to have one of the first production models of this new classic!

Looking fwd to participating here

Ken
    a "Sprint edition". There was a Firebird Sprint in '67 (DOHC 6). What's the story on the Mustang Sprint, perhaps it's one of those regional specials the dealer groups put together?

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    in 1966 the celebration of the one millionth Mustang was commemorated with a special 'Sprint' edition available as coupe or conv in white or red. These were 6 cyl with auto and a chrome air cleaner. Ours is the red conv with red interior and black top - a daily driver, not a restoration.
    Having owned a first model year Lincoln LS (brand new car from the ground up) I was also torn between getting what I wanted right away or waiting a year for the kinks to be ironed out. I decided it was worth the minor hassles to drive the thing rather than wait, and for me it was the right decision.

Most likely problem areas are parts failures (window regulators, switches, etc.), noises or vibrations or software glitches. These should be fixed within a few months once they appear.

Expect a few extra warranty visits but nothing major. If you really want one, go for it. The driving pleasure should overcome any minor problems. It did for me with my LS. OTOH if you're leaning towards waiting anyway, the 2nd model year should have a lot of fixes and possibly some upgrades as well. Good luck.