Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Hi there Akirby. Do you also still own a 96 Impala SS? Seems I remember that from a couple years ago unless I have you confused with another poster.

I figure that in a few years this Mustang may be passed down to one of our kids, the first of whom who will be starting to drive in another year. So a base 5 speed 6 cyl coupe in red or blue should be just the thing for now. In a few years my wife and I may decide to pick up one to keep for the next 20 years or so - perhaps another red convertible - maybe a GT???!! It's Fun to think about!
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Hey guys if you are thinking about getting into the new mustang but the spector of first model year glitches is causing you to think twice then consider the 2004 F-150 launch.

JD Powers just found that the Initial Quality of the 2004 F-150 not only exceeded the previous design, it was also second in its class after the Toyota Tundra.

Trust me, ford learned its lesson from the fiasco with the Focus launch and the Escape launch. Also, this program has Bill Fords personal attention...and he still has control of 40% of Ford Stock...

I say buy it.

Mark
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Good point...I really hope Ford is on a quality upswing these days. Seems like it, but one can never tell with the big 2.5.
    That would be welcome for sure. My last experience with Ford was a 1989 Taurus LX wagon with the 3.8L. We lost headgaskets at 66K and 100K and decided to move to GM. Our '95 Suburban and '00 Bonneville have been good cars but both are at 100K now with occasional repairs as expected.

I've read some of the remarks in prior posts regarding the 4.0L six intended for the base Mustang but will have to do more research there.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Sorry - not me.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Blowing head gaskets was a problem with engines that had aluminum heads and cast iron blocks. the different metals expend and contract at different temperatures which caused problems.

Both the 4.0 cologne and the 4.6 mod engine are all aluminum which should prevent that problem.

Mark
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    You are wrong about the 4.6.

The 4.6 in the 2004 GT and in the 2004 Cobra has an iron block. Only the 04 Mach 1 of the current 2004 Stangs has an aluminum block. All the earlier non-supercharged Cobras with the 4.6 had aluminum blocks, but the GT has always had an iron block 4.6.

I would assume the 4.6 in the Crown Vic is also an iron block motor.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    The 4.0 l Cologne is an iron block too. The 4.6 l mods in Ford trucks, Ford, Mercury and Lincoln SUVs, the Grand Marqis, Town Car, and Crown Vic, and yes, the Mustang GT are all iron block engines with Al heads. Head gasket problems are relatively rare with these designs. Differing coefficient of expansion is only one factor, vibration, choice of gasket material, mechanicla design of the block head connection are other factors, the differential coefficient of expansion also seems to be more of a problem with lower displacement engines.
    RedcOuger - I visited the local Ford dealer over the weekend to inquire what they know about pricing. No word yet and the sales guy wasn't even aware when orders would be accepted. Just looking at internet info it appears that the cars will start hitting dealers' lots in early Sep. Does that sound right to you? When do you think production will begin?

I will begin requesting internet quotes from local dealers when they have all the info. It will be interesting to see just how hard they hold the line on MSRP and what if anything Ford may offer for incentive to get this car onto the street as fast as possible.
    Don't expect any incentives on the new ones, at least not until the remaining inventory of the 2004 models is gone. If any are left - last word I saw said they might actually run out of 2004s if demand keeps up.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Steve Lyons has already announced that the 2005's will start out with "modest" incentives. Think lower interest rates like 3.9% for 60 months. No cash.

The article quoting him on this came from the Financial Times but I don't subscribe to their site and I think the text, which is in a post on another Mustang site, is too long to post here.

He also stated that he doesn't think they'll have enough 2004's to to keep lots stocked. It'll be close but it looks like they won't make it right now.
    I'll be interested to see if Ford actually does run out of 2004s. I don't recall Ford running out of 1993s? Did that happen?
    Demand is up 16% over last year - much higher than expected. Not sure how the downtime for this one compares to 93. The good news for Ford is they can cut back on the incentives for a change.
  • joshgordonjoshgordon Member Posts: 1
    I'm a car enthusiast that doesn't know a whole lot about how they work. I just appreciate the beauty and driving experience of a good car. The only American car i've ever owned was a 67 Firebird 400. It was awesome. I love the mid-60's to early 70's muscle cars but that's as far as my interest in American cars goes.
       I'm getting ready to buy a car in the next 6 months. The thought of buying an american car never entered my mind. Until I saw pictures of the '05 Mustang. Personally, I hated the look of mustangs in the 70's and really hated them in the 80's. Throughout the 90's I went to just really not being fond of the way the looked. At least there were links to the Mustangs of the 60's but they still were very unappealing to me.
       The '05 mustang, in my opinion, is a stunner. Absolutely gorgeous. Never in a million years did I think I would seriously consider buying a new american car. As it stands now, I won't even make a decision on my next car until I can test drive the '05 mustang GT.
       The exterior is a great blend of old and new and, to me, the only interior that rivals the 05 mustang is the current bmw Z4.
       Now I just have to practice the art of patience.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    joshgordon, welcome to Town Hall! What vehicle do you drive now, and what will you be comparing the Mustang against? Just curious.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bcohenbcohen Member Posts: 58
    Am I the only odd car shopper out there who waivers between polar opposite cars like the new Mustang GT and a Subaru WRX Wagon?

I love all cars, and my mind changes constantly, though I tend to keep cars for a while. I currently drive an SVT Contour, but I want my next car to be something other than another fwd sport sedan.

Anyways, the purpose of my post was to find out if anyone cross-shops as widely as I do.
    No. You're a freak.

<just kidding!> ; )

SVT Contour's a sweet and rare car though...I'd hang on to that myself.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    No, you are not the only person with widely divergent tastes. I go through the same exercise, based on some broad criteria (big enough for my 2 kids and their gear, fun to drive, stick shift, somewhat "sporty", moonroof (if not convertible), style, and good seats. All within some price parameters.

Based on this, I end up looking at a slew of stuff, such as Mazda 3, Volvo S40, Solara convertible, Accord coupe, BMW, Acura Tsx and TL, Infiniti G35, the next Mustang convertible, Mazda RX-8, the WRX, the next Legacy, and some other stuff that I can't think of now.

Just figure out what really lights your fire, and if it works for your situation (without too much rationalization), but it and enjoy.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    having to make up my mind over what car to buy is a major dilemna...too many choices!! i will say that imo, the 05 mustang will generate a tremendous amount of interest and not just for being the latest iteration of the orignal pony car. for me, it's the option of buying a rwd platform with the choice of a manual...engine choices and all for under 20k if you go the v6...to me that's impressive. BUT, ford has got to get it right to get my money. the interior has to be a major improvement over the outgoing model, there must be plenty of leg and head room and it's got to handle decently. there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to deliver on all fronts. the fact that it's a mustang peaks my interest (had a 70 mach one...back in 70) but there aren't many choices for this type of car, so i've got my fingers crossed. jackg
  • bcohenbcohen Member Posts: 58
    I'm glad to hear I'm not alone!! I also need a car that will handle the "lake effect" snow here in Western Michigan. I'll be curious to see if the new Mustang with stability control and traction control will perform better than the current with traction control only.

Stickguy, you're list looks earily familiar! Many of those cars and the criteria you listed are mine as well.

John_324, I do love my car, and I've only had it for about a year so I plan on keeping it for several more years. When I look at new cars, I'm really looking at them for their potential as a nice slightly used car in a few years.
    I tried to buy a 99 mustang GT back in 99 but they were making the 35th anniversary models and didn't have the one I wanted in stock anywhere. I changed my mind and bought a 2000 Lincoln LS. Now I'm considering going back to a new mustang at some point. My only real 'requirement' is that it seats 4 so that leaves it open to trucks and SUVs as well.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    &#147;Am I the only odd car shopper&#148;

Not at all. I will look seriously at the new Mustang IF the IRS is ever available on the GT &#150; or IF the SVT becomes available with a man-u-matic style of 5 (or 6) speed automatic trans. I currently own a Lincoln LS &#150; and drove just about every car that I thought MIGHT be fun to drive in the approx. $30 to 45K MSRP range.

And I think that traditional cross shopping &#147;wisdom&#148; is dead. The ability of many high performance vehicles to also perform very adequately in many other (more pedestrian?) areas, for instance, means that a wide range of vehicles can be considered when cross shopping.

And I certainly do &#150; when shopping for myself.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Odd in other ways . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    That's the joy of car shopping - being able to honestly tell the sales guy "I really have NO idea what I want this time. So let's test the new Altima 3.5 SL and a used Suburban and that 02 BMW Z3" It's fun to see them get that quizzical expression that says 'how do I sell this guy a car today?'

In my case with both a 95 Suburban and an 00 Bonneville that have each passed the 100K mile marker the question is whether to replace one or the other or keep both and buy a 3rd vehicle. That's where I'm leaning - and can't wait to see the ordering specs and prices for that 05 Mustang V6 Coupe.
    That link does not work for me. However I did stop at the Ford dealer last night and they have the ordering specs now. I'll give them a call later and find out if they are accepting orders yet but at least I can work mine up now and know what I will be ordering.

Sonic Blue V6 Premium Coupe with (Med Parchment) interior upgrade package, side curtains, antilock brakes, exterior upgrade package for the spoiler and 'Mustang' stripe and possibly leather. I'm starting to lean towards an automatic too - we'll see.
  • redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
    Please forgive me for the delay on answering your question. I've changed departments and shifts at work...so I haven't been in this forum for awhile.
    Full production of the Mustang is scheduled for September. Periodically we breathe life into this magnificent vehicle...sadly, they're used as crash cars :(
    Thanks for your interest...wahhhhh, I want a pony too.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Saw a new mustang on the way to work today. It was painted up like the disguised testers but the nose and tailights were completely exposed. The proportions look really good in motion. The two people inside had big grins on their faces.
    I hope those weren't the crash dummies!

RedcOuger - I am encouraged to see the specs for the V6. I think Ford has it exactly right offering the Premium coupe. Only item I did not see on the equipment list or available options that I really prefer is the auto headlamps/DRL. I believe this is a dealer installed option for 04.
  • kratas101kratas101 Member Posts: 33
    Was watching Bullitt again today and just realized how much the interior of the 05 really resembles the old 60s models. Its rather uncanny. I still can't get over the exterior though, there's just something wrong with it that I can't put my finger on. I think its the headlights because when I saw it at the auto show I thought it was ugly. The headlights seemed a little squashed and odd, I think the headlights need to be re shaped, maybe I will just need to get used to it. The car seems like its more bland though. I kinda miss the side scoops, the front makes the car look a little droopy or sad and the back needs a little more character, possibly a curve-in like the 60s models or maybe a less thick bottom bumper? Anyways, just spitting some thoughts out.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Hey everyone.

I've seen the new Mustang (not in test vehicle garb) on the road on two occasions so far. This is fairly common in the Detroit area if you drive enough :) Both times, it was a red car, seemingly identical to the "laser red" that was available in the past few years. Honestly I haven't been impressed. The profile is good. The lines are right, and you can tell that the car has been penned very thoughtfully. Nothing's out of balance: the design is as cohesive as a Jag convertible, and that's a special thing.

BUT, it's not remarkable either. It's almost as though some of the pretension about "sport" in the old design has been buffed out. This one is more polished, more relaxed looking, and at a stoplight beside a 350Z, there's no question which one will draw stares. Not sure if this is a good thing for the Mustang.

The rear design is excellent, at least on the open road. It has a kind of "Ferrari" to it that's difficult to put into words.
  • redc0ugarredc0ugar Member Posts: 55
    My Husband & I were out for dinner last night...we saw my ex-boss. He was "loaned" an '05 to drive, for a week. He was raving that people were giving him thumbs up on the expressways, neighbors he's never chatted with were knocking on his door to look at THE car...and a couple of 19 year olds asked to look under the hood. Needless to say...they enjoyed the attention.
    p.s. He also said we have more orders than we can build.
    I think it's safe to say that no other car is generating as much interest as is the upcoming Mustang. That in itself is pretty cool when you consider how hard that is these days to generate that kind of excitement, with so many cool cars coming out all the time.

I personally like the looks, but I will be hanging on to my '02. I do note that the Mustang seems to be getting bigger and bigger since the Foxes, which recalls what happened the first time around. I wonder if this fact, combined with rising gas prices, is going to give us a (gasp) 2008 Mustang II... : (
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "I think it's safe to say that no other car is generating as much interest as is the upcoming Mustang. "

I dunno.....have you checked out some of the feverish anticipation going on in the '05 Honda Odyssey thread?

I've got a '66 Fastback and have always had a soft spot for the 1st gen Stangs. I'll be in the market for a new car in the next 2-3 years and will probably look hard at the new ones. But, currently my wife and I are in the market for a minivan so I've been checking out the Siennas and any news regarding the upcoming Odyssey. Based on the activity on the future Odyssey board vs. what I've seen in here, you guys aren't even close....
    Why, is it a convertible or something? ; )
    He meant in the general automotive and public community - not specifically on Edmunds!
    Yeah, I know...I was just giving him a hard time.

It's funny how edmunds caters to two distinct types of people...the performance car types and the value types. I'm imaging that Odyssey discussion is more toward the value end of the spectrum.
    "I'm imaging that Odyssey discussion is more toward the value end of the spectrum."

Ummmm....YES. Boy, was THAT ever a stretch...8^)

Hey guys, just a little trolling on my part; no need to get all worked up. I guess I was more amused at the fever that they seem to be in over in that thread (over 1350 posts about a future MINIVAN?), while you guys are claiming to be at the center of the automotive and public community.

Ok ok, I'll contribute something constructive: I remember in '92 when the new GM F-bodies were being anticipated; the thinking was that they would finally end the Mustang dominance. After all, they had swoopy new styling and performance far above the Mustang. R.I.P. Cambirds. What happened? They cost too much, the quality was suspect, and the Mustang was more 'practical'(?). I just hope that Ford learned something from GM; it takes more than terrific styling and performance, especially in an age with gas heading towards $2.50/gal....of course, being the ONLY surviving pony car doesn't hurt.
    I was just kidding re the Odyssey, in case my comments seem not so. Everything I mentioned was with tongue-in-cheek (no emoticon for that) intent.

Still, better to have your car on the cover of "Hot Rod" magazine than "Consumer Reports"... ; )

Worst part re no F-bodies is a lack of competition for Ford. Mustang works best when there's an independent benchmark. Hopefully, GM will bring back the Camaro (maybe in a retro-inspired 1969 look??) soon...
    The Mustang's fuel mileage isn't all that bad considering it has a V8 so I don't think rising gas prices will matter much. The current gen rates at 17/25 city/highway. I drive a Mazda6s that has a 3.0L V6 and doesn't do much better than that. It also doesn't offer the same performance but has more interior room and trunk space.

I also wouldn't use this thread to measure the enthusiasm for the next Mustang. Search the web for other Mustang forums and you'll then see the buzz it hath wrought. :)
    john 324 -

1. I know. Too bad you couldn't see my grin as I was scribing my last reply.

2. LOL!......ain't that the truth...

3. On a serious note; yeah, competition is always good. WTF is GM thinking killing the Camaro and giving us the.....SSR??? That's just what we need; a retro-styled convertible interpretation of the El Camino....

baggs32 - regarding rising fuel prices: hmmmmm, I hope so. But rising fuel prices can (and will) do a number on the state of the economy which could lead to a loss of disposable income. And THAT may be more of a problem than just the price at the pump.

And regarding buzz on the new Mustang: I could say the same regarding forums on the next Odyssey. Personally, I don't give a rat's behind what the "buzz" is on a new car. "Buzz" doesn't get me excited. "Buzz" can be manufactured. There's usually lots of "buzz" associated with the latest Hollywood premiere, or latest book from a political insider, or upcoming computer game. Usually, it's all a load of horse hockey.

I'll get excited when I can lay my eyes on one, I can sit my butt in the seat, I can crank up that V8, and I put one in my driveway. Otherwise, you're just being excited about being excited.

Peace guys...8^)
  • parmparm Member Posts: 724
    Anybody know when pricing will be available for the '05 Mustangs?
    I generally agree about the emptiness of most "buzz" (esp. as summer movie season gets going...ugh.) But buzz re the Mustang can't be discounted though; there's something there IMO.

The Mustang generates a certain interest here in the U.S. that few other cars do or have ever done. It's a genuine slice of Americana that transcends class and social lines. From the very beginning, it's generated an amazing amount of interest. Just look at the hoopla over the 1994 model...and that was just a stopgap work-over of the then current car.

For 40 years, people have gotten worked up about Mustangs. In 5 years or fewer, minivans are all but forgotten.
    Not out yet but expected to be very close to current pricing. I think it will be another month or two before it's published.
  • shinkshink Member Posts: 2
    I totally agree about the looks. The front of the car looks "sad." You know that Honda commercial where they show people's heads next their cars and indicate that people kinda look like their cars? Who the heck wants to be the sad droopy mustang!?!?!? The current body style just looks mean - it has that evil grin thing going in the front. This ones looks are kind of a letdown - just like the looks of the Pontiac GTO.
    Sorry but I totally disagree. I much prefer the new front end (especially with the large fog/driving lights) over the current one. While you're entitled to your opinion, I don't think it's shared by many.
  • ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    I completely disagree that front end of the 05 Mustang looks sad. I love the way it looks. I like the 04 and the 05.

Akirby is right that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'd bet that most people will love the 05 Mustang.
    Have you seen one in person? I too was a little skeptical at first having only seen pictures. I finally saw a production copy at the local auto show back in February and it is definitely not sad. My wife even made the comment that it looks like it wants to jump out of the roped off pen it was in and bite everyone!

It had kind of a hunkered down look that makes it look mean and fast even when sitting still.
  • martin3martin3 Member Posts: 17
    I just looked at some of the 2005 production car pictures on mustangsource.com and noticed that what made the front fenders of the "Concept-car" so beautiful was not silly wip style radio antenna on the fender. Guys this is "2005" the ford engineers could have done it in window glass! I noticed that most new Taurus cars don't have it!! sad how little details like that can make a difference in looks. I guess I will have to wait until 2006 model year when hopefully they will design the thing out together with the hole and black washer in the fender.
    Someone on another Mustang forum asked a real live Mustang engineer about the antenna while at some car show. The engineer stated that they did try to put it in the glass but for some reason they could not get the reception they wanted and had to revert back to the exterior antenna.

Take that as you will but that's what he supposedly said. Maybe they'll keep working on it and it will appear in future copies.