Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• debaser853debaser853 Member Posts: 42
    Saw a blue v6, and red gt, I assume (as the red car had larger tires, driving/fog lights). My story:

Heading home last night, spotted the first one from a ways back and passed it. Nice looking, although it had some strange proportions from one angle (passing lane, about 5-6 carlengths behind it). Both had manufacturer MI plates, I noticed a laptop open and running in the passenger seat of the V6.

I would assume they were doing some sort of high altitude testing, I saw them heading away from the mountains here in Colorado.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I put in my order a week ago but the Interior Upgrade Package was backordered so yesterday it was accepted at the factory. Now starts the wait - probably till after the first of the year. Can't wait to get behind that wheel and have some fun! I ordered the Windveil Blue with charcoal cloth, 5 spd manual, antilocks, side airbags, spoiler and white stripe. Deal was fair - $500 over invoice.

We also have a 66 red conv 6 cyl so they ought to look great side by side!
  • deg856deg856 Member Posts: 120
    The '05 Mustang looks like a cheap imitation of the orignals, like a cheap plastic model missing the intricate details of the real thing. A wanna be. The look is dated, heavy, clunky, and very low tech. This is the best they can do? There's no new idea for 2005 so they have to go back to the '60s look? Come on! Where's the classic for the next generation? 30 years from now we'll still have to go back to the '60s because there is nothing worth going back to in 2005.

Now the new 911, on the other hand, is an example of a great interpretation of a classic look.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Please ignore the tro.....err....previous poster.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Why?? Negative comments are as valid as positive comments. The fact that your opinion may vary doesn't make the other member a "troll."

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    now that all the mags are finally doing their bigger layouts on this car and after seeing it on TV last week, I'm liking this car more and more. My wife saw the base price and said "oh, you can get that!" Haha. Yeah, I told her, but look at the base GT price. Quite a bit different. But, I'm anticipating that maybe next year I can look forward to some deep discounting. So maybe then it will look a bit better to me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

there are negative comments and there is just plain trash talk. Sorry, but I gotta lean towards akirby's interpretation on that one. That post struck me as someone who is not looking to give constructive input or looking for a debate. Its the forum equivalent of "because I said so!"

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

When someone makes a post like that, totally trashing the mustang for using heritage styling cues, then praises the 911 for doing the exact same thing - they're not looking for a discussion. They're just looking to start an argument and nothing productive can come out of it. Better to just ignore the comment altogether. Or so Pat always tells us.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Better to just ignore the comment altogether. Or so Pat always tells us.

Bingo!! Responding in any way to comments you don't like can only lead to conversation degeneration.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• deg856deg856 Member Posts: 120
    I gave my opinion about a car. You gave your opinion about my opinion. Now who's trying to start an arguement and not being productive?

The styling of both the new Mustang and 911 are based on an evolution of a classic look. The difference is one executed the evolution poorly (the Mustang), and another executed it brilliantly (the 911). The new Mustang looked watered down from the originals, so it's not a legitimate replacement for anyone who truly likes the orignals. You still need to go back to get the real thing. (Remember, I'm talking about styling.) The 911, on the other hand, improved on the originals, so it makes you not want to go back.

One might question if it's fair to compare a car designed for mass market against a semi-exotic, but I've always wondered why cheaper cars couldn't be wrapped in beautiful sheet metals to at least "look" expensive.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    . . . is clearly very subjective.

Given that some sort of 'freshening' of the styling is typically applied to most cars every couple of years, I am wondering just how Ford will "update" the Mustang's 'retro' styling.

- Ray
    Updated Retro Styling = Oxymoron?
    2022 X3 M40i
    my subjective opinion is completely the opposite. I think the new 911 is quite bland and does not make me think of the originals. The mustang, on the other hand, definitely makes me think of the original fastbacks but with more modern edges.

to each his own.

• corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Well, as I see there are two directions Ford could go in terms of "freshening" this most recent design.

First, Ford could add a thousand pounds to the vehicle, introduce a really awkward rear roof line, drop its horsepower down to merely acceptable levels and paint it in drab earth tones. It would be just like a 1973 Mach 1.

Or, Ford could eliminate the V8 option, shrink the car down into a shadow of its former self and pay no attention to quality control. It would be just like a 1975 Mustang II.

:-)

To me, the 2005 Mustang looks quite good and should wear well for the next few years - which, by the way - is all the longer any body style should be around. So the lesson for Ford is: Don't let this platform/body style linger like the FOX did. Set a time line and replace the car in 5-6 years.
    Well, your first post seemed more inflammatory than your second one. Ok, I'll bite.

Every classic mustang fan that I've read about or heard thinks the styling is dead on and a home run. You're the only one I've heard who seems to think the styling is terrible. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but the vast majority of mustang fans disagree.

Like the 911, the classic mustang styling cues work just as well today as they did 40 years ago, only now they're on a modern chassis and drivetrain.
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Maybe our perspective on looks will vary with, amongst other things, our age. I am 47. I drove one at the Ford Racing event at the Irwindale Speeedway, although I was really there to drive the Five Hundred & Freestyle. It is obviously an excellent value, and I am amazed that Ford has done things with a solid rear axle to make it ride and handle better than I thought was possible. My only complaint on the looks is that the bottom of the front bumper looks too big or too blocky. I am certain that the new Mustang will sell rapidly. One local (southern CA) dealer is advertising no markup pricing, but I wonder how high the mark-ups will go elsewhere?
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    FYI there's an interesting article in today's NY Times about Ford bringing back Steve McQueen for 2005 Mustang ads.

Apparently the ads will be digitized images pasted onto an actor dressed in "Bullitt"-style clothing.

This will be second time in recent years Ford has used McQueen in Mustang ads (the first was maybe a year or two ago with a short run of ads featuring Bullitt footage with Bill Ford doing a voice-over about how he loved that movie).

Should start to see them on tv this Sunday!
  • nd4spdnd4spd Member Posts: 23
    Hi All,
    I'm new here.
    Just test-drove 05 GT last Friday.
    It was ugly dark green, so the outside did not impress me at all. However a silver, black or red will look awesome.
    Here are my impressions:
    1) The Ride is improved from previous models. However handling still feels too heavy, not a 350Z by any means. Will benefit from wider/lower tires for sure.
    2) Performance: They only had the Auto model, so I can’t say much about the stick, but the auto is horrible!!! It is so sluggish when downshifting. It took almost several seconds (at least it felt like it) to downshift, when I floored it. Could not even break the rear tires into a spin (blame it on the traction control). I cannot believe that in 2005 a sports coupe does not have at least an auto-stick. Even my Maxima has one, and it is great. Ford is still behind everyone, technology wise.
    3) Engine: More powerful that ever, and the good news is that there is a lot of room to work with, so if you want to put a supercharger or a cold air intake – there is plenty of room to do it.
    4) Interior: The new instrument cluster is ok, retro is not my personal preference. The dash, and the controls look a lot better than before. Stereo system is very powerful. However, some genius stuck a 12V power outlet, right in the top middle part of the dash. What is it for: a radar detector maybe?? The power seat controls are taken straight from 1989 Ford Thunderbird. The back seat is TINY. If you are 5’11’’ or taller, forget about the back seat. I am pretty wide in shoulders, and the back seat was not comfortable at all. The front seat was awesome though.
    5) Overall, not a bad start for Ford. But I have to question the fact that there are so many examples of what to do and not to do in the industry, and there are many great cars with great interiors and creature controls, why Ford did not look into those. Mazda 3 has better interior that 05 Mustang, what a shame. One more problem, where are the HIDs? 350Z, Mazda RX8, Honda S2000, Infinity G35 Coupe all have them, but 2005 Mustang doesn’t.

In 21st century Ford has finally build a good car for a 20th century. The rest of the industry is way ahead.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Dark green? Are you sure you drove a Mustang?

Legend lime is the only green offered on the '05 and it is a light green like the color of the inside of a lime.
    Sorry,
    The GT I drove was gray, the other one they had on the lot was light blue. I must have been blinded by the sun and the sparkling brand new 05 mustangs. And yes, it was the 05 Mustang GT,
    Cheers
    The transmission comments are exactly the opposite of the published test reports - one even said the auto was so good you didn't need a manual. They do have the ability to learn optimum shift pressure so maybe it was just green and not broken in yet.

As for the auto-stick, Ford's been making one since 99 in the Lincoln LS and the Tbird and it's basically the same transmission as the Mustang. So you can't say they don't have the technology. They'll probably make it an option down the road, but I can tell you from experience it won't help with going fast in a straight line. It will help holding a certain gear for quicker acceleration but that's about it.

Given that most performance drivers want manuals and the majority of mustang buyers get the V6 auto models anyway they simply chose not to put resources into offering that feature now. They did the same thing when the Tbird debuted and they added autoshift a year or two later.
    I hope you’re right about the transmission, being able to “learn” and adopt for different style driving. As far as for auto stick, I think it is necessary, especially if the auto is too slow. My wife can’t drive stick (I don’t blame her) so we would have to compromise. From my test drive, I also remembered that the shifter was too close to the dash when in “P”, and I could not get to the controls unless it was in “D”. I think that this would become very annoying, once the novelty wears off. The problem is that for $27,000, the interior is way too cheap.
    Adding the auto-shifter (or SST as Ford calls it) won't necessarily speed up the shifts. Whether you're requesting the shift in SST mode or the computer is requesting the shift in automatic mode - the shift is the same as far as the tranny is concerned. So don't expect it to necessarily shift any faster unless they purposely use different shift pressures to cause faster (but harsher) shifts. If there is a difference it's not noticeable. Basically you just get better control over when the shifts occur - not better shifts.
    The Ford SST doesn't adapt to your driving style - it adjusts the pressure so the shift meets factory specs. This allows it to adjust for manufacturing tolerances and wear over time. It measures how long the shift took to complete versus how long it should have taken and adjusts the pressure accordingly. It doesn't matter how you drive it.
    That 5-speed auto is not very good. It was slow to downshift. Way too slow. I drove 04 350Z and 04 Maxima and both have a lot better 5-speed auto. If Ford could just use that tranny instead, it would make for a much sportier car.
    Overall it was nice, especially considering that one can do a lot of customizing. The body looks better in person than in pictures. I wish the back seat was bigger though.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    FWIW Motor Trend track tested the '05 GT with ATX and ran 0-60 in 5.1 seconds with the 1/4 mile arriving in the high 13s (13.8 IIRC). Pretty darn good for an ATX if you ask me. I'll still stick with the MTX, which should be even faster, when the time comes though.

In comparison, the 6-speed MTX 350Z gets to 60 in about 6 seconds. Mustang GT buyers aren't going to make the switch to a slower car just because of a difference in trannies.

Akirby is right, they'll buy the MTX if they want performance. In your case you'll just have to teach the wife how to drive a stick. :)
    You can't make that comparison based on 1 test drive. That still sounds like either the tranny was still learning or was defective. Try a couple more before passing judgement.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Interesting thing about HIDS is that they are very expensive to replace.

One of Mustang's core values is low cost of ownership, hence the engines that run on regular unleaded and NO HIDS that cost over $100.00 to replace the bulb.

Ford probably also saw this article.
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/nissan_nj.html

What is the benefit of a HID again?

Mark
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    My dealership just received our first 2005 Mustang, a GT Auto. Just a few thoughts.

The seating position is definitely low. How ever, while I could never get comfortable in the 2004 because I would have to move the seat to close to the wheel before my feet the pedals, (I'm 5'8) I can get comfortable easily in the 05.

The rear seat may be bigger, but I wouldn't want to sit back there.

The truck is rather large about equal to a Taurus.

Someone said something about the speakers being in the wrong spot on the doors and it will get kicked alot, That person must drive a truck. you won't be able to open the door on this car with your foot, unless you are a gymnast.

Car is very tight on the road with none of the icky body shudder over bumps that you make recall from the 04.

Interestingly, the Battery is up against the firewall behind the front axle. I assume this contributes to the 52/48 weight distribution.

ANYWAY the first guy to test drive the car decided to hammer the throttle on a wet road and almost bought the car the hard way.

Whenever I read one of these nit picky posts by people who don't like this or that little detail about a car, I just chuckle. We have a saying in the car industry, "there is a butt for every seat." If you don't like this car. Don't be upset. We live in America and have lots of choices.

Cheers.

Mark
  • spider8408spider8408 Member Posts: 1
    I have a question about the rear axle in the '05 mustang. Does the base model 6-cylinder have a limited slip diff. How exactly does this work?
    Although I can agree with a lot of what you are saying, this one really bothers me:
    <<Whenever I read one of these nit picky posts by people who don't like this or that little detail about a car, I just chuckle. We have a saying in the car industry, "there is a butt for every seat." If you don't like this car. Don't be upset. We live in America and have lots of choices.>>
    This is an old cliché, which does not make any sense. If you are willing to settle for a car that ALMOST keeps you happy, then go ahead. If I am spending this much money on a car, I&#146;d like it to be everything that I want it to be. In this case, the Mustang has a lot of things that will become very annoying, once the novelty wears off.
    I loved every new car, I&#146;ve driven in the beginning, but some irritated the hell out of me, once I got used to them. The 05 has a lot of good stuff, don&#146;t get me wrong, I&#146;ll take it over the RX8 or the 350Z any day of the week, but still, I do have a full right to criticize it any way I see fit.
    The reason why every domestic car magazine is giving it a great review, is because it is the only American car in that category that has survived. That&#146;s why they are all excited. Think of this: this is a new generation car for a new generation people, with different demands and expectations.
    If you expect it to be better than the 60&#146;s or 70&#146;s than surely it has surpassed your expectations. But for 2005, this is just another Ford.
    HID&#146;s are very expensive??? So were the first CD players and LCD or PLASMA screens. Everything is more expensive when it is a novelty, just like the new 300C, soon it will be selling under invoice like any other Chrysler, once the PDIDDYs and J-LO&#146;s find themselves another toy to play with. Every gangsta wonnab has to have one right now!.
    The only problem with HID&#146;s is: when you don&#146;t have them &#150; you wish you did, every time you get blinded by those who have&#146;em.
    Take it easy, we are all entitled to our opinions.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Can there be a downside to a $25K car with 300hp?

We'll find out in the next 12 months.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=10- 4507
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    on the red interior picture on the Ford website that the passenger seat has a switch for power lumbar support? I bet that will be an option next year.
  • south015south015 Member Posts: 2
    Well Im sortof new to this website. Anyways, t he Mustang needed a face lift, and thats what it got. With the '05 Mustangs sales Chevy's going to give all the Ford people a run for their $. There has been word(and pictures) of the all new 05 Concept Camaro. All of the car manufactures are wanting to go back to the old '60 body styles. While the body styles have gone back, the engines arent quite what they were back in 64-69. Now those are the years when all the good muscle cars were out, and Ford had one of the best. Thats just what ive got to say.
    I totally agree that the best thing that could happen to the Camaro would be to revisit the body styling of the 1960s. For my money, cue the 1969 style, put in an LS2 engine, and whoa momma.

As for the engines, modern V8s definitely aren't "quite what they were back then"...I'd say they're much better. The Ford modular V8s are high-tech wonders (the new ones even have, gasp, Variable Valve Timing), and there's no denying that the GM LS engines are absolute monsters. And though it usually isn't discussed among musclecar fans, these modern engines are able to deliver that power along with decent gas mileage and are a lot more emmissions-friendly than even economy engines were back in those days... That's a pretty good package in my mind.

Sure, they maybe aren't quite as, well, visceral, as a cabureted 351 Cleveland, but the performance is defintely there...
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Anyways, t he Mustang needed a face lift, and thats what it got."

Hmmmm, I guess the first chassis change since the introduction of the Fox platform in 1979 is simply a "face lift". Geez, what would it take to qualify as a completely new car in your opinion?

Don't look for a new Camaro before, oh, 2007. No, make that 2008. Just IMHO.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    That's what I was going to say - the '05 is a totally new car with zero carry-over of pieces from previous Mustangs - a little more than a "face lift" I'd say.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Lots of drawings of what "could be" a new camaro, but they don't even have an early mock-up of one. In order for the General to get a new Camaro out (without resorting to the rebadge GTO route), is for a brand new design.

That will take GM until the end of the decade to have one on the market....even if they started to design it this very instant.

Best to hope for would be a Camaro for the 2010 model year. But, GM has said time and time again, the Camaro/Firebird is dead and buried.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • johnbirdmanjohnbirdman Member Posts: 14
    My 5' tall girlfriend won't let me get a Mustang because the passenger seat height is not adjustable, and so low that she can't see out. Are the any plans to offer an adjustable passenger seat?
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    Is there a power seat option? The height is usually at least somewhat adjustable with power seats.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• gmcbobgmcbob Member Posts: 27
    Can you order Sirius Satellite Radio in a 2005 Mustang GT from the factory??????
  • oldboboldbob Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone else find the hood bulge interfering with forward visibility? I am 5'10''.
    I REALLY hope nobody contacts 05stang1. First of all, posting an ad on these boards is just flat out annoying in the first place, but asking over MSRP in the ad is an extra slap in the face.

And I can't help but notice you did it on a holiday, probably counting on the fact that the hosts would not be around to quickly delete the message.

• rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    ..not legal on this board, if I remember the rules. Blah.
    I'm sure he's getting just a flood of e-mails from people willing to buy a Mustang for $2K over MSRP, too.

My sister is in the middle of buying one. She can buy a V6 or GT version for about $500 over invoice.

First of all, your pricing isn't going to sell many cars for you. Secondly, you are about to be "banned" for advertising here.

This may be a good time to consider a different career path, however....a carnival "barker" perhaps?
    Yeah, and nice use of all caps...way to dispel car dealer stereotypes...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'll take care of that one as soon as I fix the leak under my sink. Thanks for the heads up, and yes SOLICITATION is a violation of the Forum rules, absolutely.

Shifty the Host
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Solicitation posts have been removed. Please continue your discussions, and sorry for the interruption.

Shifty the Host
    Mr Shiftright...I need your personal observation, if you can offer it.

I think you and I have similar tastes in cars. Have you had any "seat time" in the Mustang? If so, your impressions?
  • bennybbennyb Member Posts: 2
  • bennybbennyb Member Posts: 2
    I am considering a V-6 Mustang 2005 do you have any thoughts on leather versus cloth.
    Does the leather used in the Mustang crack?(easily?)
    What do people think of the cloth?