Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Solara Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• nova7415nova7415 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2006 Solara with the 4 cyl. and 24000 miles for 15,100.00 from North Coast Auto, sight unseen, through eBay Motors. Took a bus from Toronto, Canada to Cleveland, Ohio to test drive the car. Buy buying this car fron the USA I saved approx. 20,000CAD as they are currently selling for 32,000CAD in Toronto. Fantastic car......would do it all over again!!.
  • sonnypsonnyp Member Posts: 1
    Did you have to pay county sales tax of 6%, why it's only $92.31 ?
    Hi Sonny: Because I was registering it in another country- (CANADA), I didn't have to pay any OHIO state tax...however, once in Toronto, I had to pay close to 3,000CAD :cry: in taxes: 15% :cry: I still was able to save 18,000CAD though :)
  • anditeranditer Member Posts: 2
    Dear Car Man and others who know!
    I am in NY City and thinking about leasing 2007 Solara Convertable V6 for 36 months. Two questions, if I may.
    First, from various forums it looks like not many people are leasing this car, mostly buying. Any reason why?
    Second, what would be the residual value for the car?
    Thank you very much in advance for your help.
  • anditeranditer Member Posts: 2
    Dear Car Man,
    Could you be so kind as to answer my questions above (#8 re 2007 Solara lease). I really need the answers urgently.
    Thank you.
  • italianrnitalianrn Member Posts: 1
    I just joined the forum. Just wanted to say Hello & ask a question.

I plan on buying a 2007 Solara SLE V6 Coupe next month. I'm just not sure if I'm getting it for a good price. The only additional features I want are the tinted windows, Sunroof Wind Deflector, & Wheel locks. The salesman gave me a price of $26,125 MSRP plus 500 handling fee & $1597 in taxes. The total came to $28,222. I also want the VSC & TRAC. He said that would be approximately $600 more. Grand Total of $28,822. Do you think this is a good price?

I'd also like to know what people think about the Designer Edition roof. Is is durable? It's approx. $1,800 more. It looks really nice but I don't know how well it holds up. I plan on keeping this car a few years & I don't want a roof that starts shredding. The salesman avoided talking to me about it. I'm not sure why. He told me that I don't need that & that it's "not me". It reminded me of the rag tops that the old Caddy's had. I liked it. Any thoughts or experience with these tops?

This will be my first new car. Are there some costs that are not usually negotiable? I was surprised that someone was able to get the dealer fees cut in half. I would not have thought that that was negotiable.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you. :)
  • impala2002impala2002 Member Posts: 7
    I don't have too much faith in Costco/AAA pricing - but it can be a very good starting point. I helped my cousin with buying a 2007 Toyota Camry. We asked for the AAA pricing and one of the dealers offered us around $300 over invoice - but didn't have any stock. The second dealer offered us around $800 over invoice but quickly matched the 2nd dealer price. So much for the AAA price - but by using multiple dealers, this was one of the easiest car deals that I have done for what seems like a fair price.

The next experience gets more bizzare. I was looking for a Solara SLE convertible. I went to the dealer (a 3rd dealer) on Sunday. Turns out that the AAA guy was not at work on Sunday. So I go through the regular guys - but he quickly brings out his Costco book. The price - $1500 above invoice. Since I had bought the Camry for $300 above invoice, I was getting ready to walk. He dropped the price to $0 above invoice. Since I was flying out of the country for the next few days, I offered to come back on Fri and finish the deal. When I started walking out, the dealer offered me $500 below invoice for a brand new fresh off the truck 2007 SLE convertible in a color that I wanted (blue). He had only one in stock too. I ended up making the deal that day itself! So I went from $1500 above invoice on a regular Costco deal to $500 below invoice - which is a huge difference. The dealer said something about making their targets - but I don't know if I believe it but $500 below invoice sounded pretty good. [By the way, I had talked to the Camry dealer a few days before before and he was $1000 above invoice on a SLE convertible on his AAA price and would not budge even though he did not have any car in stock as yet].
  • tominnhtominnh Member Posts: 5
    Guys........ dont buy a new one!!! 18 months ago, I found a black 04 SLE V-6 coupe with EVERY option........ 1200 miles............ paid 21500. found it using the computer

has anyone heard if the Solara will be cancelled after 07?? I've heard rumors but nothing solid
    :confuse: I just wanted to let everyone who has trouble with the poor viability in the rear of their Solara's that I found an easy solution. All I did was remove the two rear headrests from the seats and my view is 100% better :) . Has any body else done this to improve your rear visabilty? Rob in Toronto.
    I was lucky enough to buy an 06 4cyl. with 20k for $15,000 from a dealer off of ebay motors, sight unseen! I took a bus from Toronto to Cleveland and drove it back. I wish I had bought one 10 years ago...a great automobile.
  • moms_maxmoms_max Member Posts: 62
    Do you have a coupe or a convertible?? The headrests in the convertibles are part of the roll-bar system, and can't be removed, from what mechanics have told me.
    I would LOVE to remove them....but have seen photos of stripped-down-to-the-metal rear seats, and it looks impossible. :(
    I have the coupe model. I guess you have a big decision whether to modify the roll bar or not. :cry:
  • tictac3tictac3 Member Posts: 78
    Wife on Saturday leased red '07 SE Conv. Only option is power driver's seat. 36/36. Went to local Philly suburban mega-dealer -- friend of family is a sales manager there. With no $ out of pocket = $380/mo incl 9% lease tax and GAP ins. She does not like to negotiate these things. Went without me; I'm still out of town and will be for next two weeks. Was she taken?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi anditer. the reason why most consumers are financing or paying cash for the Toyota Solara rather than leasing it is that Toyota has not been providing any sort of lease support on it. I can give you an idea of what this car's current residual value is, however it won't be very useful because it calculates lease payments differently than other banks. The residual value percentages that TFS publishes are for base models. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized and caps on the ones that it allows. The system is so confusing that TFS provides dealers with a list of the actual dollar residual values of the vehicles that they have in inventory rather than having them calculate them themselves. For what it's worth, TFS current residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Solara Convertible with 15,000 miles per year is 60%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • solarasrulesolarasrule Member Posts: 1
    I'm the FNG here as I just bought my 2007 Solara Sport Convertible on Saturday after a protracted search. I paid $28,434 (delivery included) for one with adjustable seat, mats, and "trunk junk" - cargo net, first aid and road assistance kits. That's $1,343 above dealer invoice (adjusted for the options above and excluding the $589 holdback) and $2,383 below the $30,817 sticker. I worked them for 5.99% financing for 4 years on $15,000 of the purchase price too!

I had to work very, very hard for that price and one lesson to pass along to other members here is to be careful about any dealer who tells you that they'll sell a car for some amount or % above "invoice". I couldn't understand why the invoice price that I was given didn't match the one in the Consumer Reports printouts until I got to the dealer and saw the printout. Toyota's "invoice" price for this Solara includes about $800 of what I regard as fluff - a $500 "TDA" or "TSA" charge (AKA dealer prep, advertising, ad nauseum) and a $300 "floor planning charge".

These are supposedly non-negotiable, at least until you get up and start to leave. If a newbie can give some advice, it's 1) do your homework on prices before you shop; 2) don't let your emotions get involved; 3) get lots of quotes so that you can get a feel for who will work with you and who couldn't care less; and 4) if you're getting jerked around or "worked" by one or more amateur psychologists get up and leave. Oh, and 5) always buy your convertible on December 28 when no one else wants one!
  • niederbergerjmniederbergerjm Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a red SE V6 Solara convertible at Darcars in Silver Spring in Maryland. It had added options of power front seat and floor mat package; I got it for $400 under invoice through Car Bargains. With the advertising cost, dealer fees it came to $25.8K. The dealer folks were super cordial and helpful, I went in with my check from the credit union, so it went very smoothly. :)
  • gator_chickgator_chick Member Posts: 3
    I bought my first Toyota, last week. It's blue streak metallic and I love the color! I would ONLY buy that color, so they had to find one and drive it here. I bought it for 27,000, but the Pontiac I traded in wasn't paid off. I owed 5,500 on it and they gave me 4,500 towards it. I paid a grand to the Toyota dealer and that kept me from going upside down on my loan. I'm really happy to have this car because my Pontiac was ALWAYS in the shop. :lemon:
  • kjac95kjac95 Member Posts: 1
    i am desperate to see a photo of a blue streak metallic solara convertible....can anyone help? please...dealer has found one but it is hours away and i need to wrap my brain around the color before i okay the purchase. thanks for your help.
  • yorksladyyorkslady Member Posts: 6
    Got 2007 Solara Convertible Silver SLE MSRP: $32,149.00 for $26,488.00 at Power toyota of Cerritos in California. They have the coupon on their web site. They still have one red and 2 silver left.
  • faverfaver Member Posts: 1
    Hi; I am planning to buy a Toyota Solara convertible in Philadelphia. The car dealer proposes and MSRP of 30K and a purchase price of 29K. I qualify for tier II with a downpayment of $4500. It's a 15K miles deal for 36 months. He's proposing a monthly payment of $450. Do you know what is the money factor and the residual value? I need those nbrs to see if this is a good deal. What do you think?
    Thanks for your help
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    horrible, 4500 down? thats really high for a down payment, and yet still be at 450, Should be a bit lower, I know that being in the 2 tier is a little more, but not that much. I would do what I did, have several dealerships email,fax the quote, and you choose the best one, get them to stir up competition. Tell them right off the bat you are 2nd tier. Tell them your willing to put 0 down, then, you see the raw deal without the downpayment, then, you can decide if you want to put more down to make the payment lower!! You get a better deal that way.Also for every thousand put down it takes off about 20-30dollars off your payment. Start simple, 0 down,2 tier lease deal, this isnt a bad deal at all, but you can probably do better. I called like 5 dealerships, and now their fighting for my business.
  • kflanigankflanigan Member Posts: 7
    Hi CarMan -
    I'm looking at buying a 2006 SLE convert from a private party who has an existing lease. The lessor won't assign title to a 3rd party at time of payoff, so lessee gets stuck paying sales tax and floating his $$ while we get the title transfered to him. My credit union won't release funds for my note until we have his title in hand. I then get to pay sales tax on my purchase. (this sounds like double taxation, but that's another topic).

Do you or anyone have a creative work-around for this situation?

Thx in advance,

kflanigan in Taxable MN :shades:
  • sterlingdogsterlingdog Member Posts: 6,984
    Here's a new one for you: While purchasing a new Toyota Solara convertible, the dealership left off the payoff on my current car when they did the paper work. I kept telling them that this was a wonderful deal. They called when we got home with the new convertible to ask that we bring the car back and redo the deal. We did so because my lawyer doubted that we could keep the car even though the dealership made a mistake. Have you ever heard of such a situation before?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,183
    "They called when we got home with the new convertible to ask that we bring the car back and redo the deal. We did so because my lawyer doubted that we could keep the car even though the dealership made a mistake."

Paperwork mistakes happen all the time... I think your lawyer's advice is pretty good. After all, the loan is in your name and the dealer surely won't pay it off, if that wasn't accounted for in the paperwork. You don't give the payoff amount, but a car dealer isn't going to eat several thousand dollars over an obvious mistake.

Of course, if you then thought the deal wasn't very good, you could just give them back the car..

Now, if they called you back and said, "We really meant to sell you the car for $30,000 instead of $29,000.", that would be a different matter.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Hi,
    I picked mine up on Dec 3rd.
    HID headlamps (QI), Traction Control (VS), Special color (PC), Wheel Locks and floor mats.
    Price before tax was 29,750 ($275 over edmunds Invoice approx), no doc fees, 7% taxes plus $355 in title and registration (Legitimate DMV fees).
    My on road price was US$32,111/=

This is one great car and it is replacing my S2000 - 180 degrees opposite of my S. While that was all visceral and fun, this is all comfort and soft and luxury! I drove 300 miles round trip yesterday in about 2 plus " of snow and it drives like a dream.
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress
    I traded in my 04 Solara SLE V6 coupe for a red 06 SLE V6 coupe with 11,600 miles. Paid $21,200..... Ive heard Toyota is gonna drop the Solara.
  • celica03gtscelica03gts Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me if dealerships would pay me $1,000 below Kelly Blue Book trade-in for my car in cash? I have some serious stuff that has happened and I don't care I need the money. Its a 2003 Toyota Celica GT-S, its got 108,118 miles on it. Cars in emmaculate condition. Paints chipped on the front and has some dents. Could some one give me a run down of how to sell this car and I mean like in 3 days quick. Thank you very much.
    Try Carmax.com. They buy your car independently, even if you don't buy from them.
    The kicker is to see if you got a facility really close to you. Other dealers are known to buy without selling you one, but they all go by the black book values. So does Carmax, based on quite a few reports I eread on the internet but, they are worth a try.
    Try to fix up the paint chips and give it a decent wash and wax yourself - Use a good engine degreaser under the hood. After cleaning under the hood, make sure to ride around long enough until all the degreaser is fully evoporated. Otherwise, it will get smoky under the hood.
    Good Luck.
    --njexpress
  • flugelflugel Member Posts: 34
    Please give me the name of contact person and name of dealership. Is there a risk of traveling 300miles on a telephone quoted price only to find a higher price when you show up?

did they include freight and doc fees in their quote?

do they waive doc fees for everybody?

So, how much was your car over invoice or below MSRP before Tags, Tax and title?

any hidden charges?

Thanks,

Reddog
    Hi Flugel,
    My apologies - I didn't see your reply until yesterday. I am guessing you bought yours already. If not, feel free to post back and I will be happy to answer your questions.
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress
  • h_hursth_hurst Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about the Blue Streak Metallic on a new car. Can you tell me how difficult it is to keep clean? Also, how easily does it show swirl marks? Thanks a bunch! :blush:
  • laurieplauriep Member Posts: 1
    What are people paying for the Solara convertibles in NC? Thanks, Laurie
  • roofie1024roofie1024 Member Posts: 11
    I recently purchased a 08 Solara Coupe SLE 4 cylinder, blizzard white,leather package,high intensity headlamps and floor and trunk mats. OTD $26,269.62.
    I thought this was a good price. I bought it fromToyota of the Desert, Cathedral City, CA. Dealt with the internet lady and she was great. Emailed me the price and found me the car and I picked it up. No hassle at all. Love the car was driving a 99 SLE V6. This is a great car. Charlie
  • buppersbuppers Member Posts: 25
    Charlie,
    Have you noticed much difference in the power of the 4 cyl vs. the 6 cylinder you had been driving? Also, what have you experienced in mpg, etc after going from the 6 to the 4?
    I debated the 4, but went with the 6 earlier this year. Otherwise, same as yours. You'll love the blizzard white!
  • roofie1024roofie1024 Member Posts: 11
    Buppers,
    I have not had it on highway yet, but can't tell any difference in town even with air on and we use that a lot in SoCal. I will let you know more later. Charlie
  • katyhykatyhy Member Posts: 13
    Woohoo! Got my car today in the Mistic Blue color with tan top, ivory interior, NAV, stability/traction control, floor mats (they threw that in). We decided to lease it since I've heard problems with the top leaking and since they'll be coming out with a hard top version. We leased it for 3 years at $500 even - we got it for $29,500 out the door. We feel it was a good deal and just love the car. There were no add ins that we've seen for the states located in the southeast. We live in the Orlando area and purchased it at Toyota of Orlando.
  • patwilson63patwilson63 Member Posts: 5
    I am in the process of negotiating prices on a SLE Cov (Mistic Blue with black top and gray interior).

MRSP: 33,033.
    cash price: 30,639
    tax (6%) 2,002.50
    doc fee $329
    OTD: 33,175

Taxes take it back up to MSRP???

Also, they had a 2008 SE that had everything the SLE had on it, except for the wood grain look and leather seats...(6k miles) for 25,995 and he said he would have the seats covered in leather for me. taxes etc. would make the total price $28,232.

Are these good deals? If I don't add the sales tax to the price....I think they are great...
    Do dealers ever pay the sales tax for you? I am new to this negotiating!
    Thanks!! :shades:
    You can negotiate anything ... get the price down to cover the sales tax. We didn't purchase - instead we leased for 3yrs. The sticker was $34k and we were able to get them down to $29.5k. We leased because 1) not sure how much I'd use the convertible; 2) heard of problems with water leaking in; 3) they're coming out with a hard top convertible in 2 yrs. The monthly was as high as $600+ but when the guy left the room, I went to his side of the desk to the computer and saw that the residual was low and that the money factor (similar to an interest rate) so we were able to negotiate it down further. I hate the whole negotiating experience too - we blew threw the first sales guy when he came in with the first set of numbers. I guess he didn't think I had done my homework before I went shopping. Be willing to leave and try another dealership if they have a car you like. We started our negotiating with 3 dealers thru their internet sales department and played them against each other. Good luck!
  • solara31solara31 Member Posts: 14
    Katyhy,

Did the salesperson tell you a hardtop convertible is coming out? If so, they lied to you. The Solara is being discontinued in a couple of months, so no hardtop is coming out for the Solara (someone else said the same thing a couple of months ago).
    I cant imagine why so many of you are looking for brand new Solara convertibles. When i check Autotrader.com, I can find 10-15 VERY low mileage Solara for as much as $6-7000 of MSRP. Knowing they are being discontinued, I just bought a used SLE V6 coupe fwith 11,000 mi or $21,500 and when i need to replaced it, I'll search autotrader again! BUt, that's just me. I traded in a 04 SLE V6 that had 1200 miles when i bought it for $21,500 TOO . Those cars are you there.
    Yes, I was told by two separate salesmen and two different dealerships that the hard top convertible was coming out in 2 years. So far the only things I don't like about the car are 1) the bad blind spots in the back panels when the top is up; 2) the button to close all the windows is blocked by the turn signal. The only other thing is the fact that it is a 2 door. I have a daughter and her friends are with us a lot so there's a lot of in and out of the back seats. She says she's fine with it but I'm always the one moving the passenger seat back into position so that I can see out the passenger window. It is a very pretty car - I got the mistic blue with tan top/interior and I've got to say, it's beautiful! The interior finishes are nicely done.
  • newbombturknewbombturk Member Posts: 2
    I just got a brand new (16 miles) '08 SE Convertible for $23,950. It's the dark metallic gray (the color I wanted), and came with the auto V6. So far, I'm loving it. It's my first convertible.

My "old" car (a 2007 silver Camry LE 4 cyl. with about 2,000 miles on it) was hit and the entire back had to be replaced. The guy's insurance company gave me a good deal on the diminution of the vehicle and I decided to take that money and trade the Camry LE in for the Solara SE. The dealership gave me a really good deal on the trade-in (between diminution and trade-in, I did better than MSRP). I always had "buyer's regret" for not getting the dark gray metallic when I got my Camry, so I decided to try and get the dark gray metallic on the Solara.

I found the deal in the paper with a "one at this price" ad. When I went out there, it just so happens that the "one at this price" was the dark gray metallic I really liked.

Toyota was also offering special financing. After the deal, I wound up paying about $28 more a month (over the same period) for the SE Solara convertible than my old Camry LE 4 cylinder.

I am a little leery after reading the posts on water getting in through the convertible top. I park in an underground garage so I haven't even had it out in the rain. I think I'll go take it for a ride the next time it rains just to see how it does.

ETA: In addition to the $23,950, I did have to pay $645 for the dealer destination charge.

Well, the Solara Convertibles get a reprieve!!!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=130608

Ya-hoo!!!! :D
    Congrats! She's a beauty....

Don't let all these posts scare you. Most of us don't have any problems with leaks (let's hope it stays that way!), so you should be fine. The only problem EVERYONE has is that, when it is raining and you have to exit the car or roll down the window, you get drenched with water coming over the roof edge...there is no "drip molding" like on hardtops to catch and redirect the rain. So, stash a towel under your seat. Small price to pay for cruisin' in the sunshine :shades:

Enjoy your ride!!!
  • newbombturknewbombturk Member Posts: 2
    THANKS!!!

I drove it yesterday in the rain and it was fine. But, since I park indoors, I didn't have to roll down my window or open my door when it was raining.

I'm LOVING this car. Compared to the four cylinder, the six is SO much nicer.

This is my all-time favorite car that I've owned. It's the first time I really got what I wanted instead of what was practical

Driving with the top down is awesome. And, this car gets looks everywhere I go, even with the top up. I bring it in for my first "check up" tomorrow. I've only got 300+ miles, so I don't anticipate any problems.
  • mitsurobmitsurob Member Posts: 38
    I'm lookin at a 08 Sport V6. Sticker is just over $29,000. Since these are being discontinued, should I expect the dealer to go below invoice? I don't think there are any rebates on these either. Anyone received any recent deals?
  • swhondaswhonda Member Posts: 19
    Towards the end of October, I requested a quote on a new '08 Solara from a local dealer (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area) and the internet sales rep indicated that since the car was being discontinued (and "hard to get"), that they were going for $1000 over invoice. I didn't try to negotiate or press the issue, but I would assume that you could get the price down to at least close to invoice. I hope this helps! Good luck on your search!
    WOW!!! Personally, I think that is outrageous..... :mad:

However, that being said, certain areas that sell lots of "verts" will try to milk them for all they are worth. We looked up & down the east coast (back in July '06) and found an SE in Maryland ~ we're in NC ~ with NAV, mats, vehicle stability option, etc. for about $27K. It was worth the 5 hour drive for us, since we wanted an '06, and dealers were getting in '07s at that point.

You didn't state if the one you were looking at had any bells & whistles on it....
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Toyota will be selling Convertible Solari (sic) for at least the next couple of years. I would think that most Toyota Solara dealers would be anxious to sell any left over 08's at a reasonalble discount. I am very happy with my 08 sle convertible. It is not my only car however.
  • toyota29toyota29 Member Posts: 1
    I see an 08 Salora at my local dealership which has 12000 miles on it. Dealer selling price is 19500. what price would be good enough to get that. it's SE V6 sport coupe, seems the vehicle was traded in. It comes with the rest of the manufacturers waranty left on it (5 yrs/60 k miles Powertrain and 36k miles B2B ).
This discussion has been closed.