Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Dodge Ram

Comments

• warfishwarfish Member Posts: 117
    I've been following your saga for several months and found the whole thing very interesting. The dealer was only trying to make a living by upping the ante on you but I'm glad you won out. After all you've been through that's the least he could do.
    Don't be too worried about putting miles on your truck before you tow with it, even though we all feel that way. The manual for my Cummins truck says it's a good way to break it in.
    Enjoy.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    First off, I don't think vehicles require the break in today they did 30 years ago. But differential gears etc. do wear in in the first few miles, and I don't know exactly how many. But since I don't have a need to tow my fifth wheel for a couple of weeks I think it won't hurt to run it solo for that time. Gives all the gears and seals time to set in. But in the long run I cann't say it will make much difference. ... got over 50 miles this evening. all guages stayed where they should. truck doesn't pull and brakes strait. Considering it was a windy evening I was satisfied how it handled in the wind (20 - 25). Seems a little stiffer running down a smooth road than my half ton, but handles bumps such as railroad crossing smoother. Everything seems to be working well so far. I am pleased. Haven't got on it hard yet, but seems responsive. Maybe in a week or two. It sure seems massive compared to my 1/2 ton. Looks nice being tall but at 6 feet I have to strech to reach in the bed over the side. Well since we didn't get to the accessory shop today I'll head there in the morning.
  • nascar6nascar6 Member Posts: 113
    Rich,

I'd tell them where they could stick their good rating. I haven't received my survey yet, but if there's a place on it for comments, fill that area up! Tell it the way the whole experience was.

Mike
    I was on the highway a short distance today with a strong cross wind (20 - 30 mph) and was impressed the way the truck handled it. I have the towing / Camping option so have sway bars front and rear. Got MAAP polished stainless steel nerf tubes installed today along with a Pentaliner. Also ordered a Roll-N-Lock cover which should be here in less than two weeks. The salesman called this morning and asked my wife how we liked it so far. She mentioned to him we spotted a small ding (hard to see ) in the front fender. One of those hard to see but once you see it it stands out. He just called a few minutes ago and wants to pick it up in the morning and take care of it for us. Never had a dealer pick up a vehicle for me. They must feel guilty. No, I don't think so or the General Manager wouldn't have tried to sell my wife a car during the fiasco yesterday. ... Rich
  • firemandavefiremandave Member Posts: 58
    Congrats Rich!
    Way to go standing your ground on the price. It had to be hard to call their bluff when your loooooong awaited truck was there to be picked up. I'm with Mike, be honest on your evaluation (that reminds me that I still have to fill that thing out). Good luck and let the joy of having the truck block out your sour waiting experience.
    Dave
    I have a question for anyone out there who has a new or nearly new Dodge with a 34 or 35 gallon fuel tank. Is your fuel gauge accurate?
    I traded in a '98 1500 Quad Cab, it had a 26 gal. tank and when the gauge read 1/8 the low fuel bell would go off. When this happened there was about 1 1/2 gallons left in the tank. My '01 2500 Quad has a 34 gallon tank and the gauge works exactly the same, when the bell goes off it takes 24 1/2 gallons to fill it. I looked at the tank and it is bigger than the one in the 1500. I wonder if it has the wrong gauge sender in it or if this is just something peculiar to Dodges.
    The 800 number was of no help except to assure me I did have a 34 gal tank.
  • markcordmarkcord Member Posts: 113
    I have a 2K with a 35 gal. tank. Bell goes off at 1/8 tank but I have more than 1.5 gals. left. Computer usually reads about 20-30 miles DTE and with a V10 that's got to mean more than 1.5 gals.!
  • rowycobobrowycobob Member Posts: 4
    congratulations to everyone who has finally gotten their trucks. i'm still waiting.it left the factory on 5/11 got to ill. train yard on 5/12. then it sat until 5/30 and was finally put on the train. now they tell me 6/5 before it reaches del. then it has to be loaded back on a truck to take it to the dealer. after waiting 3 1/2 months for it to be built i hoped it would ship faster,salesman said 10 days. oh well, on the bright side dodge started a $1000 rebate today,6/1. so at least the wait is saving me money.
    I have a 2001 2500 w/ Cummins and just filled the tank. The gauge read 1/4 full when I filled it, and it took 25 gallons. I have a 35 gal tank.
    35gal/4 quarters =8.75gal/each 1/4 tank
    8.75gal*3 (3 quarters of a tank)=26.25gal.
    That's 1.25 gallon difference. I'd say my gauge is fairly accurate.

nascar6
    Mine is a 34 gal tank. When I filled up I had 1/8
    left, 35/8 = 4.25 X 7 = 29.75, it only takes 25 gals. to fill it. I'd say may gauge is off by almost 5 gallons and I don't call that accurate.
    If you wait until the bell goes off what happens then?
    I don't think I want to wait that long. The last thing I want to happen is to run out of diesel fuel and get air in my injection system. It looks to me that you do have quite a "padding" when the gauge would read "E". You know how gauges read past "F" when you fill up, well yours must read way past "E" when it's empty. I would just fill it up the the same way the next several times and make note of the quantity it takes to fill. Fill it everytime it reaches 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8. You should get a good idea how much the tank will hold when you fill. I wouldn't think a 5 gallon reserve when the gauge reads empty is out of line. Mathamatically, I have a 1-2 gallon reserve.

nascar6
    5 gallons spread out over the bottom of that large tank is not very deep. In my case (35 gallon tank which measures ROUGHLY 68"X 11" X 11") 5 gallons is only about 1.5" deep.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You folks do yourselves a favor - keep an eye on your trip odometer each tank, and make a mental note of how far you can normally go. Your fuel gauge sending unit will fail at some point - mine went at 24,000 - needle was buried on E, but I could drive another 200 miles, and fill up with 10 gallons remaining in the tank. This is a warranty repair, so don't sweat it.

As for the discrepancies, the gauge intentionally drops faster under 1/4 tank remaining. When you peg "E", you should have 2-3 gallons in it. Also remeber the tank can not dry itself completely, so there will always be a gallon or so in there, even if you sputter and die from being "out of gas".

kcram
    Co-Host - Smart Shopper & FWI Conferences
    edmunds.com Town Hall
    I was just under 1/4 tank (34 gal) and it took 23.5 gal. It said I had about 85 miles to go. When I refilled the computer went back to 331 miles to go. Know matter how the guage is off I can usually get used to it.
  • v10paulv10paul Member Posts: 3
    I am getting ready to order a new 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4. It will have the following options:

2001 2500 Quad Cab 4X4
    V-10
    Automatic transmission
    Quick order Package 28G
    SLT Group
    Sport Appearance group
    Trailer Tow group
    Travel Convenience group
    Anti spin Differential
    4:10 Axle ratio
    Am/Fm Stereo/CD
    alarm system
    keyless entry
    H.D. transfer case
    Sliding rear window

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. (Any Idea on fuel consumption?)
  • dman2dman2 Member Posts: 4
    I got my 2001 2500 V10 Quad Cab 4 x 4 Sport in early May with everything you have listed above plus I added the Camper Special Group and got the SLT+ package, which added some awesome options like the leather heated power seats and the steering wheel radio control. I also added a slew of Mopar accessories and other accessories. Needless to say, this is a sweet black rig. The Camper Special Group springs jack this truck up and make the regular 4 x 4 Rams appear like the 2-wheel drive trucks in height. Now, the downside, don't expect to get very good gas mileage. I'm getting about 10.0 to 10.5 MPG right now, but this may not be a good indicator because I've only driven about 1200 miles so far. Oh well, can't have everything I guess.

Anyway, I'm looking to improve the performance (Horsepower and/or MPG) and appearance a little more. I was thinking about installing cat-back dual exhausts and somebody also suggested that I change the air filter. Does anyone have any suggestions on either of these? What types? I'd also like to a little rumble from my exhaust, the stock muffler is a little too quiet for my taste. Any other street/smog legal performance enhancer suggestions would also be appreciated.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    From what I've read the v10 simply never gets that "rumble" that you get in a V8. I think that you have to be satisfied that you have gobs of power. My 5.9 1500 series gets 12 mpg as an average so I think that your 10.5mpg with the V10 is in line. The K & N filterchager kit is the most popular air filter change.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I put a K&N filter on my 99 1500 quad with the 5.2 l. You will probably not see much increase in mpg. You should see some increase in throttle response. Supposedly, if the computer senses more air entering the combustion chamber from the less restrictive filter, It just adds more fuel, therefore no real increase in mpg.
    I have 300 miles on my truck like yours except SLT+ and Camper Special package. So far so good. I have not checked the mileage yet, but the 4.10 appears to be getting mileage simaler to the 3.54. The computer shows I get 13 mpg on the flat at 70 mph. But a slight upgrade drops that to 11 quickly. Most of my mileage is in town and the computer shows 10.9 overall. I'm not a lead foot and am probably easier on fuel and brakes than the average driver. So I'm getting something less than 10.9 in town and less than 13 on the highway I would guess. It sounds more like a 6 cylinder than a v8 except lower pitched than a six.
    I think you meant to say tha camper package will raise tehe rear end so a 4x2 sits like a 4x4. That's the condition I found with my '01 2500 Quad, and I'm not too happy about it. One of the things I don't like about dodge 4x4s is that they sit so high. If you aren't going to bog hog it serves no useful purpose.
    v10Paul: Are you going to tow a house with your new truck? Unless you need an awesome amount of power I wonder if you need the 4.10 gears. I tow
    10,000 lbs with my diesel and 3.54 gears and it has all the power I could need.
  • caljcalj Member Posts: 3
    On my 97 2500 ext cab V10 with 3.54 gears, I averaged 12 to 12.5 MPG mostly highway driving at 75 MPH. By changing to a K&N Airfilter, after about 2 tanks of gas, the mileage increased somewhere between 13 and 13.5 MPG. I really didn't notice an increase in performance, the V10 had so much power it was hard to tell.
    I was unaware the camper package raised the truck so much until shortly before mine arrived. But mine is a 4x4 and the whole truck is raised. The rear is only slightly higher than the front. I am hoping it will sit level with my fifth wheel hitched. It does have to sit some what higher in the rear or with a load the rear will sit low. And then problems with steering etc. So for 4x4's the front must be raised also. How is your acceleration on an uphill interstate ramp with the 3.54? I'm not convinced with the V10 that 4.10 vs 3.54 will make much difference on mileage. Especailly with the LT265 tires. My last truck had a higher rearend (3.42) yet I got no better mileage than several friends with 3.73. And as I say, I'm not hard on a vehicle. My tires and brakes lasted 58K on my last truck. But when merging on a busy interstate I like to think I have some reserve. ... Rich
    I agree the height is too tall. Looks great, but I've already had to buy a small step stool to reach into the bed. (I'm six foot).But the trend seems to be going that way. The Ford Super Duty is maybe taller. Some have had trouble getting a fifth wheel attached to the SD and had to lower the rear. Chevies new super duty out this fall (january if their lucky) will be tall also. I think its a sales gimmick as I cann't see any advantage to the height other than driving visability. ... Rich
    to me. I'm 6'-6" tall and am very tired of having to fold up to fit into a vehicle. My '96 intrepid(a rather large car)even feels cramped to me. This is the main reason I bought the Ram. Just don't want to compromise my safety (especially my kneecaps) for the sake of a few mpg. The advantages of the higher ride height far outweigh the disavantages.
    I guess thats simaler to my trying to get into my wifes camero. Brings on a visit to the chiopractor. But my 97 Chevy Z71 had as much interior room I think as my new Dodge. Either one would allow me to wear a 10 gal hat. But the Chevy's floor was lower to the ground. And I could reach over the sides to get stuff out of the bed. Maybe theres more to it than headroom for you. But trucks are nice that I can sit upright with out my legs being streched out. I think I would own one even if I didn't have the need. ... Rich
    I just had a call from the Dodge St. Louis North plant to ask me if my heated seats work. He asked me to start the engine and see if the yellow indicator lights come on. They did. Those of you that have heated seats may want to test this. I guess I ought to also check that the seats actually get warm. ... Rich
    Just turned 500 miles. And my computer shows my average combined mileage has went up from 10.7 to 11.3 . That seems quite alot to me. Reading the owners manual it says the computer uses the last 300 miles. Anybody know if it does this mile by mile? As I drive a mile the oldest mile is dropped? I guess next week I'll have my second fillup and see what my own calculations bring. Tomorrow I get my brake controller, hitch and wiring installed. Next Tuesday my Roll-N-Lock is tobe installed and the weekend of the 16 through 19 take my fifth wheel out for the first time. Get to see how it pulls (Cann't wait). ... Rich
    Can you explain how raising the suspension on a truck increases the headroom inside the truck? I know some people like the look but I personally do not. I'd like it very much if they would just make the truck functional and forget about adding useless height. As far as making it more safe, I beg to differ. The higher you raise the vehicle the higher your center of gravity is. Look at what is happening to SUVs when they are involved in accidents, the rollover rate is scary. The Ram 1500 I just traded in was a lot lower than the 2500 I just bought, and I can't see any reason for it.
    My comment was geared more to the entry/exit aspect of the vehicle. The taller suspension allows me to slide into my truck, not fall into it. I got off the topic of discussion, if only slightly.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    The 2500 series truck is taller than the 1500 series truck because the suspension must be beefed up to handle the extra payload (approx.1500# extra). The difference between the two is approximately 3".
  • mustachemustache Member Posts: 3
    Received my 2001 White, Quad, 4x4, 2500,Diesel Automatic with every Option on 6/1/00. Placed the order on 5/1/00!! Yup, thats correct, I ordered a truck and received it 4 weeks later. Truck is perfect, no flaws or bugs. Got the Edmunds invoice price and a $1000.00 rebate. I gave the dealer $500.00 profit. I'm loving this truck. It rides much much better than my 97 Powerstroker. I guess I'd rather be cumming rather than stroking!
    I'll cast my vote towards I like the height of my new 2001, 2500, QC, 4X4, Diesel, LB. I'll take my chances on this monster rolling over.

nascar6
    Got my hitch installed today. Came home and hooked it up. Measured the height before and after. Only sank a inch. But my water tank that sits in the front is empty so it may drop a little more. Measured 5 inches of clearance in the front and 4 1/2 at the back. Clearance between the bed pickup sides and the bottom of the 5th wheel. Monday I'll pull it outinto the drive where I can see better (Its next to the house now). But I think I will have to raise the hitch to get more clearance. Ok for motoring down the road but when I go off road I'll want 6 inches of clearance. The front of my 5th wheel sat low hooked to my Chevy so I think it will sit level or a tad high in the front with the Dodge. All the turn signals, brake lights etc work. ... Need to get mirrors now. Yea, I know I could have ordered extending mirrors but I didn't. The kind I have for my Chevy are made for a specific mirror. The extended mirrors I tried for the 1998 Dodge didn't quite fit. There is a clip on type extended mirror thats universal. Anybody else found a mirror for the 2001 heated mirror? ... Rich
    I'll check it out. My low gas indicator went off tonight. Took 25.8 gal. to fill my 34 gal tank. Computer showed 11.3, my figures 11.5. Rich
    Your gas gauge is reading just like mine so I guess that's just the way they make them. I don't know why I would need a low fuel alarm with 8 to 9 gallons left but at least it won't let me forget to fuel up.
    dave: I'm getting about the same as you are with my diesel, 18 to 18.3 when not trailering, 13 to 14 with the fifth wheel. I'm very happy with that.
    Ken
    My 4x4 2500 with factory Michelins shows 80psi max on the tires. On the door frame it recommends 65 front and 80 rear. Mine came with about 62psi all around. Friday I will be pulling my fifthwheel for the first time and I plan on 75 psi for the rears. My kingpin weight should be about 1800 pounds, which is less than max. My understanding is tire pressure should be adjusted for even tire wear accross the tire. That is not easy to see. If to high pressure the middle wears fastest. Too low and the outside edges wear fastest. Any thoughts? .... Got my mirror extentions. .... Tomorrow I have an appointment with the dealer service deptment to check frontend alighment. It pulls to the right slightly to moderately depending on the crown of the road. Neither of my last two truck pulled nor my wifes car. It gets tiring after a while pulling the wheel to the left even if its only slightly. I guess I'm concerned they will say this is acceptable as I've read post some time back of others having a simalar problem with Dodge trucks. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. ... Rich
    Rich:
    My manual folder has a tire pressure chart with it. You should have one too. I happen to have it in front of me. The recommendations are different depending on if you're loaded or empty.
    Empty you should have 45 front and 40 rear. Loaded it should be 55 front and 70 rear. The light load numbers seem low to me, and I think I'm running closer to the loaded numbers.
    I've had a similar steering problem to what you describe. The dealer had the caster adjusted at an alignment shop and it improved. It seems to be getting bad again, so I'm going to take it back in. My problem now is the steering wheel doesn't want to come back to center on it's own on the highway. If I make a slight adjustment left or right, it stays there and is very slow to come back. The service manager told me before that the steering box is sometimes a problem on these Rams, and it may need to be replaced. They went to a different box in '99 that they thought would be an improvement, but it may not be. I've read from other guys (I think on TDR) that steering wander can sometimes be helped by changing the tire pressure. My wandering (which is different from the wheel not coming back to center) seems to have improved since the alignment, but it could just be that I'm used to it and don't really notice it much anymore.
    Let me know what happens with yours and I'll do likewise.
    Dave
    I found the chart. I'm going to leave the pressure up for my trip but Monday I may try it. Its interesting their chart recommends less pressure for max load that the door frame. I may talk to a Michilin dealer next week. Probably get a third suggestion.
    Rich:
    Let me know what the Michelin Man has to say. I have Michelins too. By the way, I plan on rotating often and religiosly.
    Have a great trip!
    Dave
    Dealer determined my truck is drifting due to caster being off by 1/2 degree. They do not have the equipment to fix it and are subcontracting the job to and alignment shop. Apparently it involves bending the axle!. That sounds a little drastic but the tell me there is no caster ajustment for my truck. I have an appointment for next Wednesday. ... Rich
    You may want to switch your front tires (side-to-side). Took my 99 1500 quad in last week to the dealer to have an alignment done. I had rotated my tires as per the manual requirements. Once I did this, my truck had a noticeable drift to the left. The dealer said it was out of spec and performed the alignment. Test drove and it still drifted to the left. They then swapped the front tires and the truck now drifts slightly to the right. They said it was the tires. I discussed this with an independent repair shop and the owner said the tires are the likely culprit. Said that more than likely one tire is slightly larger (or smaller) in diameter than the other. This would make the truck pull to one side or another while within alignment specifications. He also said when buying new tires, you should always buy ones that were manufactured sequentially. There should be a production number or lot number on the tire label. You want tires either from the same production lot or produced sequentially (depending how the tires are marked). Makes sense to me. One tire could have been made in the middle of winter and another in the middle of summer. Humidity, temperature, etc. could have a major impact on the end product. Good luck.
    the dealer thought of that. They swapped my front tires this morning. But I don't see any difference. I had also checked that the tires were inflated the same. I will discuss this with the shop where it is to be done. They have a good rep and see what my risk are of it becoming worse. Possibly running the right front a little higher on pressure might help keep it from drifting right, but I don't like that idea either. I'l wait an see what the shop says.
  • eaganeagan Member Posts: 25
    Out of all the options/models etc.. on the ram, which combination gets the best overall mpg. i was reading before about 18mpg with the cummins..is that true? if so or if any other combo gets better please let me know,

dan
    eagan,

THE most efficient Ram is the following: Ram 2500 Regular cab 2wd, Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.54 axle. That combination can achieve the upper 20s in highway driving with cruise control or a very steady foot. Comparatively, I have the heaviest Ram (3500 Club 4x4, Cummins, automatic, 3.54), and with the cruise control set at 57mph/1600rpm, I got a steady 24.5mpg.

kcram
    edmunds.com Town Hall
    If you don't mind I'd like to ask a few questions.
    How many miles on your truck?
    Do you do any heavy towing, and if so what kind of mileage and peformance do you get?
    I have a 2001 quad 2500 diesel with auto and 3.54 and pull a fifth wheel in the 8500 to 9000 lb range. I just got back from a trip in only slightly hilly country and could not run in OD without constant shifting. Running with OD off is so noisy it drove us nuts. I ran all the way out, about 250 miles, in OD and got 11 mpg, came back out of OD and got 9.5. I'm not happy with these numbers, my 98 360 did just as good without the noise. Should I be talking to my dealer?
    warfish,

I have 60,000 right now - truck was delivered may 24, 1996. I don't tow, so any load I carry is in the bed. more often, I have large items as opposed to heavy items, but I totally trashed some half-tons in my past, so I wanted a truck that was gonna take what I dish out.

You should be getting a little better mileage than you have noted - 12 or 13 at highway speed. A few things will affect that however - altitude, humidity and temperature, windy conditions.
    If you're getting in the low 20s empty on the highway, then it's probably not a problem with the truck. Before your next towing trip with a full trailer, make sure you give all your fluids a good once over, even though your truck is new - you'd be surprised how many dealers don't make sure the coolant isn't full.

kcram
    edmunds.com Town Hall
    Thanks for the input!
    I get about 18.5 with normal driving empty. I keep the tire pressures a little on the high side and the fluids are checked often. I'm checking with every one I can outside of the dealer to see if what I'm seeing is normal. The dealer will be a last resort.
    What is the shift kit, what will it do for me and what will it cost?
    I too might be interested in a shift kit. However I have an appointment for my truck next Monday. My problem this past weekend was I could not run cruse control at all while towing my 9000 pound fifth wheel. It would just stay in 3rd. I could keep it in 4th manually if I babied it at 65 on the flat. On hills I had to go easy on the gas and slow down more than with my 1/2 ton Chevy 350 or it would downshift. If it was down shifted to 3rd on a hill as I go over the crest and going down hill it still would not go into 4th. I would have to let up on the gas for it to shift. Anyhow I explained the problem to the service manager and he said they'd take care of it. .... Tomorrow is my appt with the alignment shop for my problem of pulling to the right. Funny thing, It tracked strait while towing. Rode smooth and no bouncing (Porposing) like with my 1/2 ton. Felt so in control 65 seemed slow. I'll drive it around town solo this afternoon and see if its still pulling to the right solo. Gas mileage was 8.1 for two tanks on fairly flat with small hills. Still I was in 3rd quite a bit. Two tanks on hillier going were 6.5. I'm hoping if the shifting problem can be fixed my mileage will go up. I noticed 4th gave about 1.5 mpg better that 3rd on flat ground according to the computer. I am expecting 8 - 8.5 overall towing from research I did. I didn't get that. ...... Rich
  • eric16eric16 Member Posts: 38
    The kit I had installed was by Transgo. The shop pulled out the valve body and rebuilt it plus drilled the OD valve bigger. They increased the line pressure so you have better shift lockup. Before when the truck shifted into OD it slip in then the TC would lockup. Now it jumps in and the TC right behind it. The cost of the kit installed was 225.00 plus tax.

Eric16
This discussion has been closed.