Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda B Series

Comments

• scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Frontier vs RAnger/Mazda. Ranger/Mazda has better crash test ratings, Mazda has more torque with its 4.0 225ft/lbs vs 200ft/lbs, only 8ft/lbs less on the 3.0 (192ft/lbs)vs the Nissan 3.3 (200ft/lbs).. Mazda has a larger kingcab than the Frontier, nicer interior also..
    Huge improvements coming this fall for Ranger/Mazda. A SOHC 4.0 rated at 205HP and 240ft/lbs of torque... For hauling/pulling even the present Ranger 4.0 will out pull/haul a Frontier hands down. Just look at the HP/Torque curve... The Ranger/Mazda hasn't remained number one in sales for the last 13 years for no reason at all....
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    unless you have a thing for service department waiting rooms. I know that's a horrible thing to say ... but I just unloaded a 1994 Mazda B2300SE that I had to live with for five horrible years. Worst piece of junk I've ever owned. I will never, ever buy another vehicle with any Ford parts in it or that's been down a Ford assembly line. Don't get me started ... I've got a stack of service department receipts more than an inch thick.

(That was my two cents. Don't get all over me; the guy asked for opinions and that was mine!)

MD
  • xena1axena1a Member Posts: 286
    Not heat from me. You're entitled. Sorry you did not like you Mazda. BTW, what did you replace it with? Just wondering...
    ... after all I said about the pickup, I bought a 2000 MAZDA PROTEGE! I really wanted a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab pickup (the one with four doors), but I didn't equate $24,000 into $420 a month (ouch!) until I started negotiating with the dealer. I could afford it, but I don't want to spend that much on a car right now. My wife and I like to travel, and we're trying to start a family. $420 a month (half our mortgage) for the next five years didn't make me comfortable.

I used to own a 1992 Mazda Protege LX. It gave me four years and 80,000 miles without ONE problem -- and then I made the mistake of trading it for the B2300 because I just "had to have" a pickup. Wrong move. Anyway, after finding out how much the Nissan Frontier was going to cost, I went home and did some soul-searching. Then I went shopping. The 2000 Mazda Protege is still built in JAPAN by MAZDA and has NO FORD PARTS in it. I bought a 2000 ES, loaded. It's a pocket rocket! I love it! I've had it since May, and I've already got 4,000 trouble-free, really really fun miles on it! I'm a regular on the Mazda Protege 4 board, if you're so inclined.

Thanks for asking, and good luck with whatever you drive!

MD, a once-again happy PURE MAZDA customer
  • cowboys0000cowboys0000 Member Posts: 6
    I FEEL THAT I HAVE TO ECHO THE COMMENT ABOUT MAZDA HYBRID TO BE A TOTAL NIGHTMARE. I HAD MINE IN THE SHOP 18 TIMES IN 3.5 YEARS. I HAD A WATER LEAK COMING INTO MY TRUCK FROM THE FRONT PASSANGER QUARTERPANEL. THE TECHNICIAN TOLD ME THAT THE TRUCK HAD EITHER BEEN WRECKED OR THEY "MISSED" A WELD OR SOMETHING. THE FLOORBOARD WAS SPLITTING. THEY HAVE BONDOED IT AND SAID THAT WAS THE WAY OF NORMAL REPAIR. I HAVE GOTTEN WITH A MAZDA REP AND HE SAID THAT MY MAZDA WAS HAVE "NORMAL" PROBLEMS AND FOR MY TRUCK TO BE IN THE SHOP 18 TIMES IN 3.5 YEARS WAS AVERAGE. HE TOLD ME THAT I BOUGHT IT, SO THEY COULD NOT HELP ME. I TOLD HIM THAT IT SOUNDED LIKE THEY DID NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT, HE SAID THAT WHEN YOU BUY A MAZDA THEN IT IS YOURS, SO HE CONTINUED TO TELL ME THAT NO MAZDA DOES NOT STAND BEHIND IT, EXCEPT IN A WARRANTY. THAT IS WHAT I GOT FROM MAZDA. THEN THEY KEEP MAILING ME ADVERTISING FOR ME TO COME TRADE MINE IN AT THE DEALERSHIP BECAUSE I HAVE AN OUTSTANDING CREDIT RECORD. I WILL TELL YOU THAT THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER MAZDA PIECE OF JUNK IN MY DRIVEWAY. I WILL KEEP TELLING MY STORY TO WHOEVER WILL LISTEN. THE TRUCK HAS 58000 MILES AND IT WILL BE PAID OFF AT THE END OF THE YEAR. I WILL KEEP THIS PIECE OF JUNK UNTIL I CAN STAND IT NO LONGER. AFTER THAT IT WILL BE CHEVY, HELL I WOULD EVEN BUY A HYNDAI OR A USED YUGO BEFORE MAZDA SEES ANY MORE OF MY BUSINESS. AND TO ANYONE WHO IS IN THE LOUISIANA AREA, WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT STOP AT HIXSON AUTOPLEX IN ALEXANDRIA. IT HAS TO BE THE WORST DEALERSHIP THAT SELLS VEHICLES. IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO RESPOND, DISPUTE OR JUST HEAR FURTHER ABOUT MY MAZDA EXPERIENCES THEN FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME AT cowboys0000@hotmail.com. THE ZEROS IN THE EMAIL ARE THE NUMBER ZEROS.
    Just try and remember that not all Mazdas have Ford's parts in 'em. Like I said, I'm pleased as punch to be back in a Protege that's built in (I'm not joking here) Hiroshima, Japan. No Ford parts in it at all. And boy can you tell! We ought to get together and compare notes -- my 1994 Mazda pickup was one nightmare after another, and my problems started only three months after I bought it brand new. The most major problem, engine pinging and a lean air/fuel mixture, causing it to shut off whenever it felt like it, still had not been corrected when I unloaded the truck in May with 118,000 miles on it. Not to say that Mazda (at the dealership AND corporate level) had admitted a problem existed, but also admitted they couldn't identify it. Unfortunately, I learned about my state's lemon law too late and was STUCK with the damned piece of junk.
  • tacoma_trdtacoma_trd Member Posts: 135
    I live in louisiana, thibodaux actually, its down south, I own a 98 mazda B2500, never been in the shop once, I love it, sorry to hear about your bad experience, but you could buy another mazda and not have problems with it, its very possible to buy a chevy, toyota, dodge, nissan u name it, and have major problems with it. Just dont think that all mazda/fords are a piece of junk just because you had a bad experience with them. Its just like if I said the cowboys suck because they didnt win the super bowl last year, I think thats what your name signifies?????
  • fred420fred420 Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased an '86 B2000 for $300, and I must say, I am very happy with it. It is my first truck and is a bit smaller than I wanted, but I can't complain with over 25mpg highway and a good 22 normal driving. I have however run into one problem. I have no interior lights. (including dash lights) It also smokes for about 2 minutes when I first start it up. Does anyone have a good idea what the problem could be? In order to keep costs down I am doing all the work myself. Does anyone know where a good place would be to get parts? Also, has anyone had any problems with the truck that I should look out for?
  • stevehenrystevehenry Member Posts: 2
    i'm not surprised that mazda isn't much help. the only thing madza on it is the name. it's 100% FORD-I have an 87 B2000, with 156,000miles on it. but it's a REAL MAZDA. none of this stupid renamed ranger stuff. as far as I'm concerned, Mazda quit making trucks in about 93.
    I think I have made my final decision, I am going to wait till the 2001 Ranger comes out and either get that or get a Sport Trac. New Tacomas are just too ugly so are the Frontiers, and I have seen new pics of the 2001 Ranger, the red 4x4 XLT looks very nice. I am going to look into that.

BTW xenal I drove the 3.0L, no complaints, I liked it, but I want to drive a new ranger!!!
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    Dear all -
    I have a 1994 MAZDA B2300pickup (Ford Ranger XL in disguise).
    This truck, unlike the Ranger XLT version, does NOT have power steering. What would it take for me to put the XLT power steering into my truck? The chassis is exactly the same from the XL to the XLT, and so is the 2.3 liter engine.

Can I get the parts from a junk yard? If so, what
    do I need? How much do you think it would cost
    for me to get a mechanic to install the parts once
    I get them?
    Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Good for you!!! hold your ground until someone at Mazda actually tells you there is no 2000 dollar rebate!
  • 40ounces40ounces Member Posts: 10
    In Atlanta, you can get the truck for $100 under invoice plus the $2000 rebate via the internet at Peachtree Nissan.
  • tickertyketickertyke Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the quick responses.
    I've read just about all the responses on this conference since I found it 08/12/00.
    Despite the mixed bag of experiences noted, I agree with the one comment that you can get good ones, fair ones and bad ones. I've been damn lucky from my first Ghia at 16 to my last Wrangler soon to be parted from.
    I also appreciated the info about the synthetic. I need to give it a shot.
    Unfortunately most of my driving will be city/suburb, I hope to test it out when I'm down in the Smokies of NC. It's not a Ram Truck, but then again I don't have two black labs and a double-wide. tic
  • keith125keith125 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1990 2200 and had the interior lights go out on me. After tracing all the wiring per the schematics I finally found that I had a blown inline fuse on the radio. Of course the radio isn't in the schematic so its the last place I looked. But I replaced the fuse and I've had no problem for 3 years.
    Hope this helps.
  • g8rh8r1g8rh8r1 Member Posts: 2
    HI All,
    I saw some preposterously low prices on B2500 trucks at Fairbanks Mazda in the Orlando area. I live in South Georgia, so nowhere close to get a good deal. I called the dealership and the prices seem legit. $6999 for a base model and $7999 for the SE...an additional $995 for air and $500 for destination. Not sure if there are any other surprises on costs. Curious if anyone has found similar deals or dealt with these guys.
    It seems as though Mazda is doing the same pricing here in the NW area. I believe both Ford and Mazda are "dumping" the 2000 models as soon as they can. The new 2001's are coming very soon and as you know people always like or want the newer styles over the old. Along with the new 4.0 SOHC that is going to be available, the new 2.3 that will soon follow also....
  • mtl3mtl3 Member Posts: 22
    Scott, that Edmunds name you got there is a real booger to type, ever considered something a little more finger-friendly?

Anyway, I bought a B4000 from them back in '97.
    Good deal, nice folks.

Went back last year to look at the Millenia and
    whole different ballgame. Deals were still good,
    but it was slimely salesman city.

Every trick in the book was used, multiple
    salesmen, the 'gotta check w/ the mgr', the 'we
    need run your credit' (even though we were cash
    customers). On and on. Wasn't a pleasant experience
    and subsequently chased us off. Worked out for the
    best in the long run though. Bought a Bimmer.

So, hitch up yore pants, hold on to your wallet and you can probably get a good deal there. Just
    expect the usual b/s.

If you're dealing by phone, you might want to get all the details, prices, make, model, options, color, etc., etc. nailed down by fax or letter prior to coming down to get your truck. That way, they can't say, "We didn't say that.". And they will. And make sure it's signed by the Sales Mgr.

BTW, love the truck.

Good luck
  • g8rh8r1g8rh8r1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses. I decided to blow these guys off. Don't know if anyone else is serioulsy considering this bunch, but if you are I suggest you consider a labotomy.
    Talk about slime land. I called and e-mailed several times, and got a bunch of serious hooey from them. They finally stopped e-mailing me back when I wanted actual information instead of a bunch of lies. One of their e-mails virtually went so far as to say, "well, our newspaper ads are basically lies to get you in here"
    I ended up buying a used 99 Ranger. We'll see how it does...
    That's sad too.

We had at least 3 Mazda dealers here and they used to be the reputable one.

I guess the volume generated by the other's incessant tv ads caused them to think that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

And car salesmen complain that no one likes them.

Glad you found something.
  • kamala124kamala124 Member Posts: 2
    I have never had such a high pressure sales pitch in my life. They chased me into the parking lot when I tried to leave. They lied to me, threatened me, and insulted my intelligence. they put ridiculous ads in the paper to pull the old bait and switch. They kept me at the dealership for 6 hours dealing. End then end, I got a great price on my B300, but I was exhausted. Also, my salesman told me that I wouldn't get my free oil change unless I came into the dealership and let him tell me how to fill out my comment card so that he could make me lie about his service. he didn't show me any features on thetruck or offer any information. All he did was insult me and use pathetic sales pitches. Never buy a car from these shysters
    Dont say never buy a car from Mazda, just that particular dealer. I own a Mazda and the service is excellent from my dealer. I love them and would recommmend them to anybody.
    My experience wasn't as bad as yours, but it was bad enough to keep me from ever going back.

By the way they're alienating the existing customer base, I guess it's a good thing for them that Orlando has a lot a new folks moving in.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's road test of the 2001 Madza B-Series is now available. Here's the direct link: 2001 Mazda B-Series Truck, by Liz Kim. Let us know what you think. Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • kamala124kamala124 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not saying all Mazda sales people are bad. I initially dealt with Classic Mazda and they were very nice. They just didn't have the truck I wanted in stock. I am only referring to Corey Fairbanks Mazda
    Yeah, to know 'em, is to love 'em.
    I went to the the local Mazda dealer and saw the 2001 B-series. Very nice trucks!
  • kurt29kurt29 Member Posts: 1
    I was looking for info on the oil pump for a 93 B2200. I suspect the oil pump is worn because of a growling noise coming from the engine when it is cold. I've got 46K miles and was wondering if this was about the time to replace the oil pump. If not, what else could be causing the growling noise?
    Sorry, couldn't resist ...

Meade
  • nebula30nebula30 Member Posts: 20
    I have a '99 B3000 4 Dr with 13,000 miles on it. Recently I've noticed what sounds like the valves rattling.. normally only during acceleration in overdrive...seems to help with overdrive off. was real noticeable on a trip to the mountains. I have read these responses on Mazdas and think you guys refer to this as engine "pinging"....I have only been using reg unleaded at 87 Octane but will try 89 octane to see if it helps. I hope this will fix the problem...I had a 4 cyl '90 Ford Ranger that began doing that but only after 100,000+ miles. Gas prices in GA are over $1.50/gal for premium but may be worth it to fix the problem...anyone have any comment on the pinging/valve rattling ?
    Sorry to hear about the pinging with your B3000. The 3.0L Vulcan engines seem to be notorious for this problem. I had a '99 B3000 4X4 4-door and it started doing the same thing at the 4500mi mark. I ran 92 octane in it and it really helped reduce the pinging and it also smoothed out the engine roughness (less vibrations felt through the gas pedal). Yes, try the higher octane fuel. It should help. Unfortunately, now you've got higher fuel costs to contend with...
  • tone2tonetone2tone Member Posts: 15
    This is to update my previous posting (#266?). Around 70k the thermostat and radiator needed to be replaced. Unfortnately, I misplaced my folder with reciepts and the Ins Co that handled the Ext Warranty wouldn't cover. Finally, got the garages that did work to provide copies and Mazda dealer replaced the units. Two weeks later the Check Engine Light came on and the dealer said it was the Air Flow Meter which isn't covered under CA Emmissions (ends at 50k) nor the Ext Warranty. That cost $250 incld labor. I will be sending an "appropriate note" to the warranty company, the dealer, and the consumer advocates on our local channels. I've also found a paint blister or two on top of the cab.

Still, if the problems are no more than what I've just described and I'm not going to get nickled and dime to death from here on out, then I'd have to say that I'm okay with the truck. Another 11 months and it's paid off.
    Based on my experiences with the 97' B2300 Ext Cab, I would recommend the Mazda pickups because they have a longer warranty and parts should be more readily available since they are essentially identical to the Ranger. I wouldn't recommend the in line four not because of reliability issues but because of lack of power. If you get the four then the five speed stick is a must. Shop for extended warranty coverage, don't buy from the dealer. Take the time to read the what is covered as well as have it fully explained. If I had to do it all over again, I would have opted for the 4.0L w/5 spd. I think that would be a heck of alot more fun to drive.
  • jkoly1jkoly1 Member Posts: 1
    What is the value of a K&N or KKM air box induction kit? A few folks on this forum have recommended this upgrade, and other than "sounding better" no performance improvements have been mentioned. Can someone enlighten me?
    When I owned my B3000, I had a KKM True Rev Induction Kit on it. I can't say that I saw any increase in MPG. But, I did notice a better throttle response when pressing the gas pedal. It seemed to help the 3.0L engine breath better. I also noticed a bit of a boost when the engine hit it's power band at about 3200 rpm. Personally, I liked it. It is a mild upgrade that you can notice...
    This is something that has surfaced only recently because of the change in weather. Seems that the heater on my '97 B2300 wants to work when IT WANTS TO work. If I leave the selector knob on "heater" setting and the temp control knob in the red area at night and turn on the truck in the morning, then maybe the heater will warm the cab. Not always though and not from the "Off" position. I've popped open the dash panel to look at the connections etc. and visually all looks okay. Any ideas on what it might be? I'm relunctant to go to the Mazda dealer because walking in is an $80 computer check. The radiator and water pump were replaced a little over a month ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    Where has everybody been. It has been quiet in here lately. Has anyone seen '01 Dual Sports or 4x4s on the lots yet. Anyone test drove the new 4.0L V6, just tryin to keep the convo going :)
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    Be prepared to use more expensive gas; can't get something for nothing.

http://www.superchips.com/ranger2.htm

zig
  • guynordeguynorde Member Posts: 3
    98 B4000 owner who was missing oil with no signs of leeks or burning. Well it turned out we had a leaky front engine seal, which was replaced at the end of July. Oil leak solved or so we thought. We went on another long road tour in October and started noting low oil levels again. Again, no sign of any leaks. Any ideas?
    With the chip you will have to use super unleaded. Another quick mod is a K&N air charger kit. Its a kit that easily replaces your present intake system and allows more air flow into your engine. Another good one is a flowmaster muffler that opens up your exhaust system. Ignition is another mod. Good luck..
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    where can I get info on the K&N air charger kit?

do any of these things create long term harm to the engine?
    No harm at all to the engine. Actually K$N will has a lifetime warranty on the filter cartrige. You have to clean them with a special cleaner about every 20-30K depending on your driving conditions. Just type in K&N on your web browser and they will pop up. K&N has been around a long, long time and is a top notch company.
  • kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    Hope you don't have one of those bad 1998 4.0 engines. I had one - rebuilt without success, in my opinion, by the dealer at 17,000 miles. It didn't burn much oil yet - just sounded very bad -a noise I had never heard before in many hundreds of thousands of miles driving Ford trucks. And, sure enough, I could here the noise again after the "total" rebuild from a dealer I trusted. I traded the truck for a very nice F-150 with 5.4 and so far, no problems at all and working on 25,000 miles. Like I say - hope you don't have one of these engines. I think it was a short production run - my truck was built in February, 1998. There are some bad 4.0 engines out there.
  • additurpadditurp Member Posts: 9
    Have 99 B3000 Troy Lee extended cab. Love the truck looks-wise, doesn't get better than my old 90 model, though.

I have a problem with the console BRAKE ON light coming on. It is intermittent, doesn't seem to be related to bumps in road but this morning, stayed on a good minute before going out. Cold mornings and only 2, so far.
    Anyone else?? Any ideas?? Have 12,000 miles on it. No off-roading.
  • pacplatepacplate Member Posts: 1
    I like my '91 B2600i 4x4 well enough to spend $3 or$4K on re- building the engine, etc. . Any experience on this? I still use my '86 for firewood & horse [non-permissible content removed] and it has been a remarkably solid truck.. I mainly drive on skid trails & dirt roads in an area that gets 5'-8' of rain.
    Seems like there is more misery in new vehicle shoddy engineering plus huge finance and insurance and depreciation charges. I would rather spend that money on my house.
  • don98don98 Member Posts: 4
    I have a Mazda 1999 B-3000 4 door with 22,000 mi. when I come to a complete stop there is a extra bump/feel, like something is catching up with me. My dealer has looked at the obvious things and said it meets factory specs. they are waiting for the area rep.to drive it. If I take it out of gear it stops. Another dealer said the trans. shift points might need reset or problem with drive shaft, because it has a extra long shaft. Anyone having this problem? The engine also pings on 87 octane, But 89 seems to help.
  • Accord99Accord99 Member Posts: 4
    I have my eyes on a V6 1996 B4000. I have done some "Reliability" research on the Carpoint website. According to Carpoint, 1996 Mazda does not have any reliability problems. However, when I look at the sister 1996 Ranger it shows this car has potential problems: "Occasional problems on this vehicle are failures of the Canister Purge Valve/Sensor Assembly and the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor." Should I consider the same problem for the Mazda?

If they're the same truck why does Carpoint rate Mazda higher on Reliability?

Please help.
    Accord99
  • kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    The Ford has so many more people buying it than does Mazda, that is probably the explanation. As far as the driveline problem goes - these trucks seem to have a slip-yoke problem involving the driveshaft. The dealer should fix that for not much if anything even if out of warranty - apparently just bad design and maybe the extra lube will work for a long time, hope so. As far as the 3.0 engine pinging - a known problem. Face it - these engines are the equivalent of the old Escort to Ford - base vehicles, cheap transportation and they work well for that purpose. The 3.0 in these trucks was designed to be a flex-fuel variant that has most likely been discontinued - the pinging will not probably hurt the engine, but it sure is irritating. Would guess using the best possible fuel (highest octane) available would help - sure could not hurt.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The 3.0 is still a flex fuel engine.
  • nebula30nebula30 Member Posts: 20
    I also have a '99 B3000 4dr.....with 16,000 miles on it.... don't have any problems with the transmission, but my truck developed the engine pining(irritated the hell out of me)... started using premium grade gas(92 octane) instead of re. gas at 87 octane... This stopped the pining noise but now my wallet makes a noise when I have to spring for the premium grade stuff....LOL...Good luck on getting the problem fixed with the tranny......Overall, I'm very happy with my truck, so I would rob. buy it again with maybe exception of getting the 4.0L.....